Subject: hot peppers /canning

From: [email-masked] (Eric Decker)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 95 18:04:00 -0500

On Feb 25,95  BASEL, LESLIE was chatting to ALL
about "hot peppers /canning"

            *-----------------------------------------------

>I have never seen an article on canning hot peppers, I would like to can
>them (pressure style) with the smallest amout of cooking time to preserve
>the crispness, as in peporcinnis (sp) ?

BL> Pressure canning doesn't really do much for crispness of peppers

  This is true.

 The only way I've found to produce good crisp peppers is:

Wash peppers in slightly salted water scrubbing with a brush. Cold
pack into sterilized pint jars. Prepare lids; simmer in boiling water,
have lids close at hand.

  Mix up your pickle, bring to a boil. A goodly amount of pickle in
excess of what you need is helpful in keeping it at a fairly even
temperature. Keep it simmering and pour into jars leaving 1/4" of
headroom.  A second pair of hands helps as the jar rims must be wiped
down before applying the lid and screwband.

   Here's the way you get the crisp. Thirty minutes after, put all
jars into a large container ( sink ) containing water of a temperature
close to that of the jars.  Add cold water, draining off water so that
the jar is not drowned. Any jar that has not yet popped will now do
so, those that don't are not keepers. Keep adding clod water till the
jars have been chilled down to room temp. Wipe clean, label and put
away for six weeks.

  The foregoing is the method I have used with great success for the
last half-dozen years.

 Enjoy!

---------
Eric

                             18:03:35  02-26-1995

 * PMDBM  V1.75b #14 * .. brains thinned with water?