Subject: Summary:Bread Makers (gluten free flours)--LONG (fwd)
From: [email-masked] (Vivian Aldridge)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 21:28:10 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.veg.cooking

Hi,

Here is my summary of responses. I had asked for
recommendations for a bread maker that handles gluten
free flours well. I extend my thanks to everyone who
contributed.

I ended up choosing 
the Zojirushi, Model BBCC-S15 and bought it for $270 at
Emporium in San Francisco (I also used a 15% coupon that
Emporium sent to me.) I chose this model because it was rated
second by consumers and because Bette Hagman (author of
More from the Gluten Gourmet) uses this model.

And by the
way if anybody has recipes for THIS machine that are gluten
free please send them to me. I'd appreciate it! Also if you
have recipes using regular wheat flours I'd be interested
in those too.

Thanks,
Vivian
[email-masked]

--------- My Original Post ----------------------------

I am looking for recommendations for a bread maker that
is good at mixing gluten free flours (batter like
consistency) AND regular flours. If you own a 
bread machine that does the following please let me
know. I will post a summary and all the people who are
interested in bread machines for gluten-free flours
will be most appreciative :)

1) Do you have a bread machine with a paddle that is the
same thickness throughout its vertical length?

2) Are the parts in your bread machine easy to clean?

3) What is the model of your machine?

I have been looking over the consumer reports article
on bread machines (Dec 1993-pg 790) but found that
the article does not specifically mention "kneading
blades (paddles)."

Bette Hagman author of More from the
Gluten Gourmet says "Before you purchase a machine,
check to be sure that the paddle at the bottom is
the same thickness for the full vertical length. The
machines with paddles that are part wand and resemble a hook
might require pre-beating outside the baking pan to
completely blend the dough, or the batter may need to
be stirred while the machine is running." (p27)

She also says "In some machines the pan and the paddle and 
all the parts that touch bread are removable for easy cleaning.
This is especially important if you intend to use the machine
for gluten free and wheat breads interchangeably." (p27)

Thanks for your time!

Vivian
[email-masked]
----------------- Collected Responses -----------------

On Jan 4,1995, 9:13pm, [email-masked] wrote:

Vivian,

These machines meet the criticeria set forth by Bette Hagman:

Welbilt, Model 100
Welbilt, Model 150-ABR
Welbilt, Model 2100T, This is a new one pound model that was supposed to
be released to the market last fall. I have not seen it yet. It was
tested by Mary Gunn one of Bette's test cooks.
Zojirushi, Model BBCC-S15,
The machines from DAK are very similar to the Welbilt machines. They
filed chater 11 recently and I am not sure of their status.

Bette uses the BBCC-S15 and 150-ABR. This one makes a square loaf.

These machines do not require any outside help to assist in the
baking process. A problem with the initial Panasonic & Hitachi machines.

If you buy one of these let me know and I will send you the recipesr
that we developed for the machines. Bette's recipes in the 2nd
cookbook will work in all except the 2100T. Most likely they will
work, if cut in half.

Micheal Jones, Internet [email-masked]
Living a wonderful life, gluten-free.

------------------------------------------------------------
>From [email-masked]  Thu Jan  5 12:44:47 1995

> I recently purchased a Zohirushi Bread Machine. Model # BBCC-S15. It was not
> the cheapest one I found, but I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay
> for." 

Jody, about how much was the Zohirushi?  Do you recollect?  Marilyn

****************  Marilyn C. Mueller  ***********************************
*****************  [email-masked]  ****************************

>From [email-masked]  Thu Jan  5 12:17:04 1995

Hi,

You may have seen this on the Celiac list recently...

 I was diagnosed with Celiac last May and one of the first things I did
was get a bread machine. It made the transition a lot easier. I got a Panasonic
SD-BT65P and I have been very happy with it. It is not programable but does
have a variety of cooking cycles. I normally use the BASIC/RAPID cycle which
will bake a loaf of bread in 3 hours. It also has a 13 hour timer so I can set
the bread up at night and have it ready in the morning. The loaf pan is
rectangular and makes a nice large loaf of bread. The paddle is the same 
thickness and generally does a good job mixing. The only minor problem is
that because the pan is rectangular, I have to help stir a little at the
beginning or the flour in the corners doesn't get mixed in well.

I only use it for GF bread, but it is easy to clean. The only problem area is 
where the mixing shaft comes through the bottom. I suspect that this is no 
different that most other bread machines.

My usual bread recipie is "Butter-Basted White Bread" from "More from the
Gluten Free Gourmet" by Bette Hagman. I found her cookbooks in the local public
library and have found them to be very good. A number of the local book stores
also carry them.

------------------------------------------------------------

Vivian,
I have a Dak Turbo IV which I absolutely love.  Yes, the beater bar is the
same width all the way across and it, too is very easy to clean.  It also has
the cooling feature and has a window in the top so you can see the bread as
it's baking, rising, etc.  It cost almost $200 including tax, shipping, and
handling and I got it out of a Dak catalog (they sell electronic equipment
such as computers, exercise equipment, etc.).  If you'd like a catalog, let
me know and I'll find their 800 number for you.

Terri Bandalos

------------------------------------------------------------
>From [email-masked]  Fri Jan  6 05:17:41 1995
From: [email-masked]

Hi folks! Perennial lurker here...

We got a bread machine for birthday/holidays. It's the Breadman Plus. 
The paddle is the same width up and down, and it does have a "cool-down" 
cycle (up to 60 mn.), and I haven't had to heat up the ingredients--just 
used tap water (but peanut oil instead of butter, so I don't know if 
butter would need to be softened). It doesn't have quite the features 
the box said it did (i.e. crust lightness/darkness is not a separate 
control--you can't make a medium loaf anything but "regular") but it 
works wonderfully and is very easy to clean.

Consumer reports says that the bread you make in the machine costs just 
as much as store-bought. I don't see how this is possible. We used to 
buy Bran'nola and it was up to $2.30 a  loaf, I think. I haven't figured 
out cost on this but it *must* be under a dollar per loaf? Anyone else 
made these calculations? Switching over to bread machine bread from 
store bought is a little complicated so far because of the staleness & 
crumb factor. We're going to get one of those slicers.

Hilary Caws-Elwitt <[email-masked]>

------------------------------------------------------------
Fro>From [email-masked]  Fri Jan  6 06:34:58 1995
From: [email-masked] (Karen M. Davis)

> Terri Bandalos writes:
> 
> I have a Dak Turbo IV which I absolutely love.  [...snip...]
> It cost almost $200 including tax, shipping, and
> handling and I got it out of a Dak catalog (they sell electronic equipment
> such as computers, exercise equipment, etc.).  If you'd like a catalog, let
> me know and I'll find their 800 number for you.

Forget it.  DAK Industries is bankrupt.  They had their clearance sale 
the last week of December for the locals, and not much was left then.  
DAK Industries is no more...

karen

------------------------------------------------------------
>From [email-masked]  Fri Jan  6 07:41:54 1995
From: [email-masked]

     Sorry to have to tell you this, but DAK went out of business.  Their 
     final sale was, I believe, Dec. 30.
     
     I have the Welbilt R2D2 style (same as the original DAK).  The only 
     thing I don't like about it is the fact that the spindle doesn't come 
     out to clean.  Since that's the most difficult part of cleaning the 
     machine, it makes it less appealing to me to make bread in it.

     My next machine (if I get one - a Kitchenaid mixer is first on my 
     list) will have all parts that come in contact with the dough easily 
     removable and cleanable.  I know I won't be getting it for $100 like I 
     did the Welbilt, but it will be easier to use. :)

     Mark G.
     
     [email-masked]
     
------------------------------------------------------------

Vivian,
I have a Dak Turbo IV which I absolutely love.  Yes, the beater bar is the 
same width all the way across and it, too is very easy to clean.  It also has 
the cooling feature and has a window in the top so you can see the bread as 
it's baking, rising, etc.  It cost almost $200 including tax, shipping, and 
handling and I got it out of a Dak catalog (they sell electronic equipment 
such as computers, exercise equipment, etc.).  If you'd like a catalog, let 
me know and I'll find their 800 number for you.
     
Terri Bandalos
     
------------------------------------------------------------

>From [email-masked]  Sat Jan  7 14:21:21 1995
Subject:      Re: Bread machines for gluten free flours

We use the BLACK AND DECKER ALL-IN-ONE, Model B1500-04.  It makes
excellent GF bread and regular bread.  It has a thick heavy plastic
paddle, and is extremely easy to clean.

I don't know if Black & Decker in the U.S. have the following, but it is
great: Our local Celiac Ass'n. had a recent demonstration by the company,
and a a brochure called "Gluten-Free Bread Recipes & Handy Hints for the
Black and Decker Bread Machine by Kay Spicer".  The GF bread it makes is
the closest thing to "regular bread" that I've seen, and even non-celiacs
seem to like it.  We are fortunate here in Canada because there is a
variety of excellent GF breads made by El Peto Products in Kitchener,
Ontario, but the GF bread from the B&D machine is even better.

Hope this info helps.

Jerry Wald
____________

[email-masked]

------------------------------------------------------------
>From [email-masked]  Sat Jan  7 17:43:32 1995

Hi!

The Panasonic machines are excellent. We have the older model with the
separate yeast dispenser (it fires it in 1/2 hour after the process
starts), and it's great!! Good luck

Henk Rietveld --

------------------------------------------------------------
>From [email-masked]  Sun Jan  8 18:00:05 1995
From: Beth Vail Jones <[email-masked]>

I have a Toastmaster Breadbox.  I've made probably 100 loaves of various
types of regular bread and am now starting to make some gluten-free
bread for my son.  I've made GF about 8 times, and Andy (and other
folks) have enjoyed all.

Yesterday I made Bette Hagman's "True Yeast Bread" recipe, adding about
a teaspoon of garlic.  Whew!  that was a bit too much, maybe a
half-teaspoon or less would work better.  Today I made rolls and
hamburger buns using the "dough" cycle.  So far, the machine has
worked just great.  The bread seems to turn out the same whether I
use the regular cycle or the "fast" cycle, which skips the second
knead/rise part.

I may get brave and try a regular recipe with GF flour in place of
the wheat flour.  It would be nice to find a recipe that doesn't need
oodles of eggs.

Regards,
Beth Jones
----------------- End of post ---------------------

------- end of forwarded message -------