Subject: Re: Maple Vinager

From: [email-masked] (artemis)
Date: 4 Jan 1995 16:57:23 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Ray Gonder <[email-masked]> wrote:
>If anyone has any firsthand knowledge of making vinager from maple sap, we 
>would appreciate hearing about it.
>
>There are many references in books, that it was made, but not how to do it.
>
>We would like to learn how, so that we can try to make some this upcoming 
>season.
>

I don't know about maple sap, but I do know how to make vinegar in
general and it should work with maple sap.

Dilute or concentrate (by boiling) the sap until the sugar content is
in th 12-15% range (you can buy a float measure that will measure
this, check cooking, or winemaking places).

Add yeast (most types will do, though a top-fermenting variety should
do) and let ferment in an *open* container.  If done in a closed
container (with a water lock) it'll ferment into alcohol through an
anaerobic process.  In an open container the process is aerobic and
will produce vinegar.  Keep the temp between 70-90F and within a day
or two you'll smell the vinegar.  Then distill it, or freeze it and
decant off the vinegar!

Email for more details if you need them.

-- 
Anmar Mirza   # Chief of Tranquility  # I'm a cheap date, 
EMT-D N9ISY   # Base, Lawrence Co. IN # but an expensive pet.
Sawyer        # Somewhere out on the  # EOL
Networks Tech.# Mirza Ranch. DoD#1143 # My views, not the U's