Subject: Re: Baroque feast

From: [email-masked] (Elise A. Fleming)
Date: 7 Dec 1994 22:44:07 GMT

_The Appetite and the Eye_, edited by C. Anne Wilson, Edinburgh
University Press, 1991, has 14 pages of information, diagrams,
etc. for "The eighteenth century: menus and table-settings."
(pages 108-122)  Some of the dishes mentioned in a two-course
dinner (1710) are beans, frigacy white, sheeps tongue frigacy,
venison roast, a lamb pie, a dish of fish, beef royall, puddings
of collours, a Pottage for a Remove/Westphalia ham and chicken.
This was one course.  The pottage was "removed" and the ham, etc.
was put in its place.  The second course had "artichoaks, ducks
and gees, collr'd beef and pigg, green pease, (?crany fish?),
rabbitts larded, pickellk'd foods, turkeys, artichoaks".

In 1732, for December, a first course has: a loin of veal a la
royal, plum pottage, minced pies, a "Sir Loin of Beef RRose  Roast", a chine and turkey.  The second course has 2 ducks and
4 larks, sturgeon, 6 partridges, "morelles, trouffles, and combs.
ragoo'd, "a stump pye."

There's more if you want it.

Elise/Alys K.