Subject: Re: historic recipes

From: [email-masked] (Alan Woods)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 03:22:38 GMT

One additional source:  rec.food.historic; lots of talk about all periods of 
cooking, wide ranging.  Roman recipies come up with regularity.
In article <[email-masked]>,
David Feit <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> { I would like to get more information on cooking and recepies from Roman
>> { times through the 17th century in Europe. Several recepies were posted a
>> { month or so ago.  These fired up my interest in the subject.  I recently
>> 
>> Try "The Brittish Museum Cookbook:  4000 years of International Cuisine"
>> by Michelle Berriedale-Johnson, Abbeville Press 1987.  They might have
>> some things.  Another thing not directly related but possibly of
>> interest would be "The Medieval cookbook" by Maggie Black, Thames and
>> Hudson 1992.  Yet one more that you may like is "Lost Country Life" by
>> Dorothy Hareley, Pantheon Books.
>> 
>I would also add "The Roman Cookery of Apicius" by John Edwards. (1984, 
>Random Century, London)
>While it has some translated excerpts from De Re Coquinaria (4-5th cent. 
>manuscript attributed to Apicius, and a fundamental source for info. on 
>Roman cuisine), the Edwards book isn't so much a translation as it is a 
>practical guide to adapting some of these recipes to the modern kitchen 
>and available ingredients.  Well organized, with bibliography.  Doesn't 
>really lose much for not being "purist."