Subject: Recipes: Medieva 1/7

From: [email-masked] (Carl Berger)
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 94 09:36:00 -0500

MN>Anyone know any good, preferably fairly easy-to-make medieval
MN>food recipes?

MN>I'm planning a Middle Ages-related scout camp (in early July)
MN>and would like to try some recipes of the time.

     Send me another message in about 3 weeks and I will have another 20
medieval recipes available.
   _  _/|
   \'O O|
   ={_:_}= Meow

MMMMM----- Recipe via :) Meal-Master (tm) v8.01

      Title: Carrots and Grapes Vermouth
 Categories: Medieval, Entertain, Vegetables, Ethnic
      Yield: 6 servings

      2 pk Green Giant Frozen Carrots *
      3 tb Brown Sugar, firmly packed
      3 tb Vermouth
      2 ts Cornstarch
      2 tb Water
    3/4 c  Green Grapes, halved
    3/4 c  Red Grapes, halved

  * 2 (10-oz.) pkg. Green Giant Crinkle Cut Carrots Frozen in Butter
  Sauce.

  Cook carrots according to pkg. directions. Slit pouch open and drain
  butter sauce into med. saucepan. Stir in brown sugar and vermouth. In
  small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth. Blend into butter
  sauce. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is
  smooth and slightly thickened. Add carrots and grapes. Heat
  additional 2 mins.

  TIP: To make ahead, prepare carrots as directed, adding grapes just
  before serving. Heat thoroughly.

  I have never tried this recipe. It comes from my "Pillsbury Festive
  Holiday Recipes" cookbook, Classic #13. Marilyn Sultar

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via :) Meal-Master (tm) v8.01

      Title: Herbed Green Beans
 Categories: Medieval, Entertain, Vegetables, Ethnic
      Yield: 6 servings

      3 pk French Sytle Green Beans*
    1/8 ts Crushed Rosemary
    1/8 ts Crushed Basil
      2 tb Chopped Parsley

  * 3 (10-oz.) pkg. Green Giant French Style Green Beans Frozen in
  Butter Sauce.

  Cook beams accordint to pkg. directions. Remove from pouch and pour
  into serving dish. Sprinkle with herbs and parsley.

  The recipe comes from my "Pillsbury Festive Holiday Recipes" cookbook,
  Classics #13. Marilyn Sultar

MMMMM
MMMMM----- Recipe via :) Meal-Master (tm) v8.01

      Title: INTRODUCTION TO MEDIEVAL RECIPES
 Categories: Medieval, Pepperidge, Farm
      Yield: 1 servings

MMMMM----------------INTRODUCTION TO 1475 RECIPES---------------------

  DE HONESTA VOLUPATE ET VALETUDINE (OF HONEST VOLUPTUSNESS AND HEALTH)
  OR VIRTUOUS ENJOYMENT AND GOOD HEALTH) BY BARTHOLOMAEUS DE PLATINA
  Printed in roman Type in Venice 13 June 1475 THE title of Platina's
  work, as is true of many books of the period, appears in various
  forms. One variant, De obsoniis ac  honesta voluptate, can be freely
  translated as: "On meat dishes and their virtuous enjoyment." Platina
  stresses that his recipes do not lead to the sin of gluttony. So you
  can enjoy your three-inch charcoal-broiled steaks and still feel
  virtuous. This book is important not only as the first printed
  cookery text, but also as an excellent source of knowledge of daily
  life in the mid-fifteenth century, and particularly for insights into
  dietary customs of the time. Platina, I discovered, was not a cook.
  He is recorded first as a soldier and later as a distinguished
  scholar. In 1474 he presented the handwritten manuscript of his now
  famous Lives of the Popes to Pope Sixtus IV. The original is still in
  the Vatican Library. His reward was an appointment to the extremely
  important post of Librarian to the Vatican. How did this scholar come
  to write a cookbook? The clue may be found in the book itself, where
  he mentions his "good friend Martino" the chef of one of the
  Chamberlains to the Pope. They must have become acquainted at the
  Vati- can. A manuscript treatise on food and cookery written by
  Martino is in the Library of Congress. It is quite evident that
  Martino's manuscript formed the basis for Platina's book, for he says
  of his friend in Chapter VI, "which cook, by the immortals, could
  compare with my companion Martino of Como, by whom these things I
  write have for the most part been considered? You will call him
  another Carneades if you hear him discussing extemporaneously the
  things put forth here." Platina's book is rather casual in its
  approach to actual cooking, and the entries in the long table of
  contents may not guide the reader to any hint of a recipe. For
  instance, the chapter on edible birds deals with swans and storks,
  but only relates their living habits. It must be remembered, however,
  that in the fifteenth century the common people could neither read
  nor write. Books were commissioned by rich patrons who collected
  handwritten books with elaborate hand-painted illuminations. Any
  cookery manuscript would have been a carefully guarded secret,
  available only to professionals. I suppose the student apprentices
  who had to pay for their training were sworn to secrecy and learned
  not by reading but by working with their masters, who probably
  couldn't write out directions anyway. But Platina, a trained scholar
  and experienced writer, turned out a well-written book by the
  standards of his time, even though the recipes lack specific
  information. What fascinates me is that so many of the same foods we
  use today were being used then in practically the same way. Platina
  refers to eggs, pastry, bread and grains, cheese, all the vegetables,
  practically all the fruits, including cherries, grapes and eggs,
  chicken, frogs, salted meat, squid, octopus and all our modern
  spices. And his chapters of advice concerning healthful habits seem
  amazingly timely today, when exercise and recreation are considered
  of vital importance for good health. All of Platina's recipes are
  frustrating, for no quantities are given and no definite cooking
  directions appear. You were just supposed to be a "born cook" in
  those days. Have a look at these old recipes, but, for goodness
  sakes, don't try them unless you are the gambling type. Use the
  modern versions--I can guarantee them, for we have eaten them one and
  all. Source: Pepperidge Farm Cookbook, by Margaret Rudkin -----

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via :) Meal-Master (tm) v8.01

      Title: CHICKEN IN A PUNGENT SAUCE--1475
 Categories: Medieval, Pepperidge, Farm
      Yield: 1 servings

MMMMM-----------------------CHICKEN--1475----------------------------
>>> Continued to next message

 * SLMR 2.1a * History repeats itself because nobody listens.

---

From: [email-masked] (Carl Berger)
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 94 09:36:00 -0500

>>> Continued from previous message
  Cook chicken with salted meat. When it is half cooked, put seeded
  grapes in the pot. Throw in parsley and a pinch of mint. Crush
  together pepper and saffron.
   Put all the ingredients in the pot when the chicken is cooked and
  serve immediately. Platina says:  "There is nothing more healthful
  than this food, which Poggio frequently eats when I have been
  invited. It is nourishing, easily cooked, agrees with the stomach,
  heart, liver, kidneys and checks the bile."

MMMMM

      Title: CHICKEN IN A PUNGENT SAUCE--MODERN VERSION
 Categories: Medieval, Pepperidge, Farm
      Yield: 4 servings

      2 ea 2-lb broilers
      8 ea Slices bacon
      2 c  Seedless grapes
      2 T  Parsley; chopped fine
      1 ea Mint sprig OR
  1 1/2 t  Dried Mint
    1/2 t  Pepper
      1 t  Salt
    1/2 t  Saffron;(Powdered)
      2 c  Chicken broth*

  *Made from necks, gizzards, and livers Fry the bacon until crisp in a
  large iron frying pan. Remove from the pan, drain on paper toweling,
  break into small pieces and set aside. Brown slowly in the bacon fat
  the broilers which have been quartered, necks removed.
   When nicely browned, transfer the chicken to a large earthenware
  casserole and keep warm.
   Crush together 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, the dried powdered mint
  or leaves of fresh mint chopped fine, the salt, freshly ground pepper
  and saffron. Sprinkle over the chicken. Add to the brown residue in
  the frying pan  the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, stir well and
  pour over the chicken. Place the casserole on a flame tamer over low
  heat, cover tightly and cook gently until the chicken is tender, or
  for about 3O minutes. Drain off most of the juice into a small
  saucepan and reduce to a syrupy consistency by boiling rapidly, for
  about 5 minutes. Pour back over the chicken, sprinkle with another
  tablespoon of chopped parsley and the pieces of bacon, and add the
  grapes.
   A macedoine of cooked chopped carrots, string beans, lima beans and
  peas, well buttered, would be good with this dish. Source: The
  Pepperidge Farm Cookbook

MMMMM

      Title: A SQUID DISH FOR DAYS OF ABSTINENCE--1475
 Categories: Medieval, Pepperidge, Farm
      Yield: 1 servings

MMMMM----------------------SQUID DISH--1475---------------------------

   Platina mentions several odd fishes not usually used today as food,
  such as cuttlefish, scorpions, lampreys and sea-lion. But most of his
  fish are still favorites-eels, lobsters, crabs, oysters, sturgeon and
  sturgeon eggs (which he calls caviar),  salmon, sole, etc., and he
  gives a recipe for a Squid Dish for Days of Abstinence. Although
  squid is eaten today in the South of France and Greece, and can be
  found in special fish shops here, I would prefer salmon or halibut.
  But if you hanker for squid, just go ahead with it if you can find
  some, and be sure to have the fish man prepare it for you by removing
  the black liquid from the backbone. A SQUID DISH FOR DAYS OF
  ABSTINENCE--1475 Boil the squid. Crush what is good in a mortar.
  Prepare a paste of almonds with rosewater strained through a sieve;
  or, if you can't provide this, use the juice of peas or white
  chickpeas. Crush together small grapes and five figs. Mix a little
  rock parsley and a little fresh marjoram leaves. Add as much
  cinnamon, ginger and sugar as is necessary. Mix these well with
  whites of eggs so that they will stick together and cook better. With
  the mixture well greased, and with a crust above and beneath, set it
  on the hearth at a little distance from the flame. Sprinkle sugar and
  rosewater on the cooked mixture. This dish assails all the members.

MMMMM

      Title: FISH PIE, MODERN VERSION OF SQUID DISH
 Categories: Medieval, Pepperidge, Farm
      Yield: 4 servings

MMMMM------------------FISH PIE RECIPE--MODERN-----------------------
  1 3/4 lb Salmon
      1 ea Plain pastry w/butter*

MMMMM-----------------------COURT BOUILLON----------------------------
      1 c  White wine
      3 c  Cold water
      1 ea Onion; peeled & sliced
      1 ea Carrot; peeled
      3 ea Peppercorns
      1 c  Seedless grapes
    1/2 t  Powdered Marjoram
    1/2 t  Powdered Ginger
    1/2 t  Powdered Cinnamon
    1/2 c  Almonds; grated**
      2 t  Rosewater
      5 ea Black figs or small figs
      2 t  Sugar
  1 1/2 t  Salt
    1/8 lb Butter
      1 T  Parsley; chopped
      1 ea Egg White

  * For a 2 crust pie ** Ground, or chopped almonds Wrap the salmon in a
  piece of cheesecloth, tie securely with string and cook gently for
  about 3O minutes in a court bouillon made of water, white wine, salt,
  onion, peppercorns and carrot. Remove from the bouillon, unwrap, and
  remove all skin, bones  and the black part of the flesh. When cool
  enough to handle, flake it with your fingers to be sure you feel and
  extract all the bones.
   Peel  the  figs  and  add  to  them the  washed  and stemmed grapes.
   Crush the fruits together, using a wooden spoon, and season them
  with the marjoram, cinnamon, ginger, sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
   Grate or grind the blanched almonds, moisten them with the rosewater
  and add to the fruit.
   Now stir in the flaked salmon, chopped parsley and 4 tablespoons
  melted butter.
   Beat the egg white with a fork until frothy, then stir it into the
  whole mixture. Line a 9-inch pie dish with pastry and fill it with
  the salmon mixture. Cover with more pastry. Trim, roll under and
  crimp the edges. Make 5 or 6  generous slits in the top crust and
  place in a 350 ^ F. oven. Bake for about 20 minutes, turn the
  regulator to 400^ F. and continue baking until it looks done, or for
  about 45 minutes in all. Serve at once with white wine. Source:
  Pepperidge Farm Cookbook

MMMMM

      Title: Parchment Wrapped Chicken
 Categories: Oriental, Appetizer, Chicken, Steamed, D&g
      Yield: 8 servings

      2    Whole chicken breasts,
           Skinned and boned
      3 tb Dark soy sauce
      1 ts Ginger juice*
    1/4 ts Sugar
           Boiling Water
    1/2 lb Fresh bean sprouts
      6    Green onions with tops, cut
           Into 2 inch lengths and
           Slivered
    1/3 c  Chopped walnuts

---

From: [email-masked] (Carl Berger)
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 94 09:36:00 -0500

>>> Continued from previous message
      8    8 inch squares of parchment
           Paper

  PAPER

  Cut eight 8 inch squares of parchment paper.

  INGREDIENTS

  Cut chicken into thin, narrow strips, about 3 inches long.  Combine
  soy sauce, ginger juice and sugar in large bowl; stir in chicken, let
  stand 30 minutes.

  Meanwhile, pour boiling water over bean sprouts; let stand one minute.
  Drain; cool under cold water and drain well.

  Thoroughly toss chicken mixture with bean sprouts, green onions and
  walnuts.

  Place about 1/2 cupful of chicken mixture in center of each parchment
  square.  Fold bottom point of parchment over filling; crease just
  below filling and fold point over and under filling.  Fold side
  points over filling, overlapping slightly.  Crease paper to hold
  folds. Fold remaining corner down so point extends below bottom of
  bundle; tuck this point between folded sides.  Crease paper to hold
  folds. Repeat with remaining parchment squares. (Ends up looking like
  small envelope, with flap tucked under bundle)

  Place bundles seam side down, in single layer on steamer rack.  Set
  rack in large pot or wok of boiling water.  (Do not let water level
  reach the bundles)  Cover and steam about 7 minutes or until chicken
  is tender. Serve immediately

  *Peel fresh ginger root, then squeeze through garlic press.

  == Courtesy of Dale & Gail Shipp, Columbia Md. ==

  ... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Maryland. 15:35:39 10 Feb 94 --- Blue
  Wave/Max v2.12 * Origin: Pooh's Corner * (410) 327-9263 * (1:261/1131)
  ======================================================================
  ==== BBS: Ned's Opus Date: 02-10-94 (17:46) Number: 313 From: DALE
  SHIPP Refer#: NONE To: ALL Recvd: NO Subj: Chinese Appetizer 3/3
  Conf: (4) Cooking

MMMMM

MMMMM

MMMMM

      2    2-lb broilers
      8    Slices bacon
      2 c  Seedless grapes
      1    Mint sprig OR
  1 1/2 t  Dried Mint
    1/2 t  Pepper
      1 t  Salt
    1/2 t  Saffron;(Powdered)

---

From: [email-masked] (Carl Berger)
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 94 09:36:00 -0500

2 c  Chicken broth*

MMMMM

MMMMM

      1    Plain pastry w/butter*

MMMMM-----------------------COURT BOUILLON----------------------------
      1 c  White wine
      3 c  Cold water
      1    Onion; peeled & sliced
      1    Carrot; peeled
      3    Peppercorns
      1 c  Seedless grapes
    1/2 t  Powdered Marjoram
    1/2 t  Powdered Ginger
    1/2 t  Powdered Cinnamon
    1/2 c  Almonds; grated**
      2 t  Rosewater
      5    Black figs or small figs
      2 t  Sugar
  1 1/2 t  Salt
    1/8 lb Butter
      1 T  Parsley; chopped
      1    Egg White

MMMMM

      Title: German peppered beef soup
 Categories: Soup, Mine, Med hot
      Yield: 2 gallons

      5 lb German peppered beef *
      2 lg Yellow onions diced large
      1 c  Crushed RED BELL peppers **
      2 lb Red potatoes
      2 lg Carrots
      2 ea Celery stocks (not bunches)
    1/4 c  Oregeno
    1/4 c  Sweet basil
      1 tb Celery seed
    1/8 c  Carroway seed
    1/2 c  Dill weed

  * this may be obtained from all of the german deli's I have ever been
  in (which may not be many)... and is basically a rather tough cut of
  beef which has been covered (and I do mean covered) with very large
  chunks of black pepper corns (some are even whole)

  ** if you can not find red bell peppers dried and crushed you will
  want to do it your self for the flavor needed... cut three or four
  red bell peppers into small pieces and spread out on paper towels to
  dry (or put it in your food drier if you have one) seeds and all!

  FIRST:

  cut the meat into 1 inch chunks (leaving the precious pepper on it!),
  sear by your favorite method... I prefer a small amount of sesame oil
  in a wok.

---

From: [email-masked] (Carl Berger)
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 94 09:36:00 -0500

>>> Continued from previous message
  CROCK POT METHOD: chop everything up into 1 inch chunks throw in the
  pot, set on medium (200 degrees), cover with water plus 1 inch (for
  the pan as my mentor said), cook covered (with a lid) stirring every
  2 hours or so from the bottom for 4 hours, turn to low, cook covered
  for 6 hours.

  PAN METHOD: chop everything into 1 inch chunks, place carrots,
  celery, and meat into pan, cook 1 hour at med/low (150 to 160
  degrees), add the rest of the goodies, cook 1 hour.

  Ahh a bug found... covered in water both times, better go change it
  <GRIN> plus 1 inch for the pan

  LAST: refrigerate for at least 6 hours, warm only as much as you will
  be eating.

  NOTES: you are correct, this method looks a little "ugly", but having
  been taught to make this soup by a german grandmother, and her
  scottish husband (my grand father, who also was a chef by trade)... I
  learned at a very young age that what they said usualy worked the
  best, even though it took more time.

  W. A. Blaylock

MMMMM

      Title: Lombard Chicken Pasties
 Categories: Chicken, Medieval
      Yield: 6 servings

  Chickens be set in a pasty on their backs with the breast upward and
  large slices of bacon on the breast, and then covered.  Item in the
  Lombard manner, when the chickens be plucked and prepared, take
  beaten eggs (to wit yolks and whites) with verjuice and spice powder
  and dip your chickens therein; then set them in the pasty with strips
  of bacon as above.

  350 g/12 oz shortcrust or puff pastry 2 eggs, beaten 2 tablespoons
  verjuice* or lemon juice 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1/2
  teaspoon ground ginger 450 g/1 lb chicken or turkey breast meat, in
  small thin slices 3 large rashers streaky or back bacon, trimmed of
  fat and cut in half

  *Verjuice--a popular medieval condiment made from specially grown or
  (in England) unripe grapes.  If you can get Seville oranges in season
  and freeze them, use their juice as a substitute for verjuice.

  No doubt the franklin in Chaucher's group who kept such a grandiose
  table would have served a splendid double-sized, two-crust pie at
  home; but small ones are better for eating on the road.  In either
  case, he would surely have told his cooks to bone the birds.  Hunting
  for meat (or fish) bones under a pastry crust is frustrating.

  Roll out the pastry and cut it into six large circles each 16 cm/6 1/2
  inches across.  'Rest' it while making the filling.  Pre-heat the
  oven to 220C/425F/Gas Mark 7.

  Mix the beaten egg with the verjuice or lemon juice, pepper and
  ginger. Dip the slices of poultry meat in the mixture, then divide
  them between the pastry circles, placing them on one side of the
  round, but not right up to the edge.  Lay a piece of bacon on each
  pile. Brush the edge of the pastry with any remaining egg mixture; if
  necessary, use a third egg. Fold the bare half of each pastry round
  over the meat and match the two pastry edges.  Pinch the edges
  together, fluting them, or press with a fork. Prick the pastry in
  several places.

  Bake the pasties on a baking sheet for 15 minutes.  Reduce the oven
  temperature to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5 and cook for another 20-25
  minutes. Serve hot or cold.

  from The Medieval Cookbook by Maggie Black Chapter 2, "Chaucer's
  Company" posted by Tiffany Hall-Graham

MMMMM

      Title: White Bread and Rolls
 Categories: Breads, Medieval
      Yield: 2 loaves

  1.3 kg/2 lb 14 oz unbleached strong white flour 50 g/2 oz rice flour
  or cornflour 1 TB salt 25 g/1 oz fresh yeast 575-850/1-1 1/2 pints/2
  1/2-3 3/4 cups warm water 175 ml/6 fl oz/1/4 cup brown ale 4
  teaspoons warmed clear honey A little oil for greasing

  Mix the flours and salt in a warmed bowl.  Blend the yeast to a cream
  with a little of the water, then mix in the ale, honey and a scant
  575 ml/1 pint/2 1/2 cups of the remaining water.  Stir the liquids
  into the flour mixture and mix to a firm dough, adding more water if
  it does not cohere. On a board or work-top, knead the dough for about
  8 minutes or until it feels elastic.  Shape it into a ball.  Oil the
  inside of the bowl, return the dough and cover it loosely with oiled
  greaseproof paper. Leave in a warm place to double in bulk.

  Punch down the dough and cut it in half.  Shape one half into two
  equal-sized round loaves and the other half into rolls.  Make a
  crosscut in the top of each loaf.  Place on oiled baking sheets, well
  apart, cover loosely with oiled greaseproof paper and leave to
  'prove' in a warm place. Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to
  230C/450F/Gas Mark 8.

  The rolls will be ready first.  When swollen and puffy, bake them for
  15-17 minutes.  Tap one on the bottom; it should sound hollow if
  cooked. Bake the loaves when ready for about 25 minutes; test by
  tapping. If not yet done, bake for a little longer at 150C/300F/Gas
  Mark 2. When cooked, leave to cool, covered with a cloth, on a wire
  rack.

  Bread baked on metal sheets tends to have a hard crust.  If you cool
  it covered, you prevent steam escaping so the bread stays softer. You
  can, if you prefer, bake the loaves in two oiled deep cake tins with
  removable bottoms, to get a softer crust.

  from The Medieval Cookbook by Maggie Black Chapter 2, "Chaucer's
  Company" posted by Tiffany Hall-Graham

MMMMM

      Title: Braised Spring Greens
 Categories: Vegetables, Side dish, Medieval
      Yield: 6 servings

  Spynoches yfryed.  Take spynoches; perboile hem in sethyng water.
  Take hem up and presse out the water and hew hem in two.  Frye hem in
  oile & do therto powdour douce, & serue forth.

  700 g/1 1/2 lb small whole heads of spring greens or spinach 3-4
  tablespooons frying oil 1/4 teaspoon each sea salt, freshly ground
  black pepper, grated nutmeg and ground cinnamon Small sprinkling of
  soft light brown sugar

  Spring greens are probably closer to medieval spinach than our modern
  spinach, but the recipe is good made with either.  Our forebears would
  probably have used rape oil for this dish, most likely imported from
  Flanders, but King Richard's cooks could certainly get hold of costly
  nut or olive oil with its finer flavour.  I have added a little stock
  or water to the frying oil because the first tests gave very greasy
  results.

---

From: [email-masked] (Carl Berger)
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 94 10:55:00 -0500

>>> Continued from previous message
  Wash the heads of greens or spinach and trim off any stems.  Bring
  about 5 cm/2 inches water to the boil in a large pan and put in the
  heads side by side; if they do not all fit in, blanch them in two
  batches. Turn them over with two wooden spoons for 2-3 minutes until
  softened. Cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

  When all the greens are blanched, drain them, reserving any liquid
  left. Squeeze the heads dry in a cloth and split them in half
  lengthways. Heat the oil in a deep heavy frying-pan, then add the
  wilted greens and about 5 mm/1/4 inch of the reserved cooking liquid
  or water. Add the spices and sugar.  Turn the heads over to coat them
  with oil, cover the pan and simmer the contents until the ribs and
  stem are tender. Serve in a warmed dish with the cooking liquid or
  not, as you please.

MMMMM

      Title: Golden Leeks and Onions
 Categories: Vegetables, Side dish, Medieval
      Yield: 6 servings

  To make blaunche porre.  Tak whyte lekys & perboyle hem & hewe hem
  smale with oynouns.  Cast it in good broth & sethe it vp with smale
  bryddys. Coloure it with safferoun; powdur yt with pouder douce.

  1 teaspoon dried saffron strands 2 tablespoons boiling water 6 medium
  leeks (white part only) 3 medium onions 575 ml/1 pint/2 1/2 cups
  chicken stock 1/3 teaspoon soft light brown sugar Good pinch each of
  ground white pepper, cinnamon and cloves Yellow food colouring
  (optional)

  The summoner in Chaucer's company loved onions and leeks, so he would
  have enjoyed this dish, even without 'smale bryddes' (blackbirds or
  finches) in the pot.

  First, soak the saffron strands in the boiling water until the water
  is deep gold.  Prepare the leeks by trimming the root ends and
  slicing the white stems into thin rings; they should not need
  parboiling. Peel and chop the onions.  Put all the ingredients in a
  large pan and cook gently, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes.

  Drain off most of the stock if you want to serve the vegetables as a
  side dish; to make sure your dish is really golden, add a drop of
  food coloring. Alternatively, double the quantity of stock for the
  cooking, do not drain, and serve as a 'running' porridge.

MMMMM

      Title: Civey of Hare
 Categories: Meat, Main dish, Medieval
      Yield: 6 servings

  Hare yn cyve.  Smyte a hare in small pecys; perboyle hem yn swete
  broth with hys oun blode.  Cast hym yn a cold watyr.  Peke hym clene;
  do hym in a pott.  Clarifye the broth clene; do therto onyons &
  herbes mynsyd. Take hole clovys, macys & powdyr, & drow a thyn lyour
  of crustys with rede wyne. Boyle hit tyl hit be ynowghe; sesyn hit up
  with powdyr of gynger, venyger & salt, & loke hit be a good colour of
  blood. 1 hare, cleaned and jointed into 6 pieces 575 ml/1 pint/2 1/2
  cups beef stock Blood of the hare or 125 g/4 oz pig's liver, sliced 2
  medium onions 1 sprig each of fresh thyme and rosemary 2 slices brown
  toast sprinkled with ground mixed spice 175 ml/6 fl oz/3/4 cup red
  wine 6 parsley stalks tied in muslin with 4 whole cloves and 2 blades
  mace 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger Salt to taste 1 tablespoon red wine
  vinegar

  Discard the foot joints of the hare and any flaps of skin on the
  saddle. Cut through the spine between the rib-cage and fleshier
  saddle. Put all the meat in a stew-pan with the stock and blood or
  pig's liver and cook gently for 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, peel and chop
  the onions and chop the thyme and rosemary leaves; also steep the
  spiced toast in the wine.

  Remove the hare meat from the pan and strain the stock, discarding the
  liver if used.  Rinse the hare meat in cold water.  Return the stock
  to the pan with the chopped onions and herbs and add the spice
  bundle. Stir in the mushy soaked bread and wine.  Lastly, add the
  meat, putting the rib-cage on top.  Cover the pan and cook the civey
  gently for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.

  Just before serving, blend the ginger and salt into the vinegar and
  stir them into the sauce.  Discard the rib-cage.  Transfer to a
  casserole or deep dish and serve hot.

MMMMM

      Title: Chicken with Rice and Almonds
 Categories: Chicken, Main dish, Medieval
      Yield: 6 servings

  Blawmanger.  Tak the two del of rys, the thridde pert of almoundes;
  wasch clene the rys in leuk water & turne & seth hem til thay breke &
  lat it kele, and tak the melk & do it to the rys & boyle hem
  togedere. & do therto whit fres & braun of hennes ground smale, and
  stere it wel, and salte it & dresch it in disches.  & frye almoundes
  in fresch gres til they be browne, & set hem in the dissches, and
  strawe thereon sugre & serue it forth.

  225 g/8 oz long-grain rice 1.4 litres/2 1/2 pints/6 1/2 cups strong
  chicken stock 125 g/4 oz ground almonds 450 g/1 lb poached white
  chicken meat, minced 2-3 tablespoons chicken fat, melted Salt and
  freshly ground black pepper

  Garnish:

  50 g/2 oz flaked almonds, toasted Light sprinkling of white sugar or
  dried saffron strands (optional)

  There are several versions of this popular dish; one contains lumps of
  meat, another (given by the Goodman of Paris) is for invalids.  I have
  borrowed a few details from other versions for this recipe, as I'm
  sure Chaucer's cook did.

  Wash the rice in lukewarm water.  Then boil it in 1.1 litres/ 2
  pints/5 cups of the chicken stock until almost tender.  Heat the
  remaining stock and use it to steep the ground almonds for about 15
  minutes. Drain the rice well when done and let it cool.  Then return
  it to the dry pan and strain in the almond 'milk'.  Bring to a
  simmering point. Stir in the chicken meat and fat, stir round and
  cook until the meat is heated through. Season while cooking.

  Serve the chicken and rice into warmed bowls and put a ring of toasted
  almond flakes around the edge of each helping.  If you wish, sprinkle
  a very little sugar or a few saffron strands in the centre.  (Saffron
  looks and tastes better, if affordable.)

MMMMM

---

From: [email-masked] (Carl Berger)
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 94 10:55:00 -0500

>>> Continued from previous message
      Title: Fig and Raisin 'Cream'
 Categories: Medieval, Fruit
      Yield: 6 servings

  Rapey.  Take half fyges and half raisouns; pike hem and waishe hem in
  water.  Skalde hem in wyne, bray hem in a morter, and drawe them
  thurgh a straynour.  Cast hem in a pot and therwith powdur of peper
  and oother good powdours; alay it vp with flour of rys, and colour it
  with saundres. Salt it, seeth it & messe it forth.

  125 g/4 oz well-soaked dried figs 125 g/4 oz stoned raisins 275 ml/10
  fl oz/1 1/4 cups red wine (not too dry) Good pinch of ground black
  pepper 1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves Soft
  dark brown sugar to taste 3 teaspoons rice flour or cornflour A drop
  or two of red food colouring Salt to taste

  Drain the figs, reserving the soaking liquid.  Discard the stalk ends
  of the fruit and put them in a saucepan with the raisins and wine.
  Add the spices and a teaspoon of sugar and bring to the boil.  Take
  off the heat and cool slightly, then turn the mixture into an
  electric blender and process until smooth.  Add a little of the
  soaking water if the mixture is stubbornly solid.

  Cream the rice flour or cornflour with a little more soaking water or
  wine and brighten the tint with a drop of food colouring.  Blend the
  'cream' into the dried-fruit puree.  Then return the whole mixture to
  the saucepan and simmer until it thickens slightly.  Season with salt
  and a little extra sugar if you wish.

  The mixture can be served hot or cold over a sweet cereal dish, firm
  stewed fruit or - best of all- ice cream.  Some versions in other
  manuscripts are stiffer and make a good filling for tartlets or fried
  puffs. One encloses the filling in pastry to make dumplings.

MMMMM