Subject: Medieval Recipes

From: [email-masked] (Donna Bowers)
Date: 6 Dec 1994 20:38:08 GMT

Heiatt & Butler    Curye on Inglysch

p 118 No 94
Rauioles. Take wete chese & grynde hit smal, & medle hit wyt eyren & saffron
and a god quantite of buttur. Make a <th>in foile of dowe & close hem 
<th>erin
as turtlettes, & cast hem in boylyng watur, & sethe hem <th>erin. Take hote
buttur meltede & chese ygratede, & ley <th>i ravioles in dissches; & ley 
<th>i
hote buttur wyt gratede chese bine<th> & aboue, & cast <th>eron powdur douce.

In Modern English: 
Ravioles. Take sweet cheese and grind it small & mix it with eggs & 
saffron, &
a good quantity of butter. Make a thin foil of dough and close the mixture
inside as with tartlettes and put them in boiling water and boil them in 
that.
Take hot melted butter and grated cheese and put the ravioles in dishes & lay
the cheese and butter above and below the ravioles. Sprinkle powder douce on
top.

Cheese ravioles covered in butter and grated cheese, a lactose nightmare...I
depart from periodness here because I simply can't eat this much dairy. I 
take
@ 1lb of ricotta cheese and 1 or 2 eggs and mush it together. I put in a 
pinch
of salt and a few threads of saffron. Meddle well. Unless I am feeling very
adventerous, I use won-ton wrappers. Fill them and close them. Don't put too
much or they won't close properly. boil till done and strain. Melt a 
stick of
butter and put some in the bottom of a casserole dish. Layer ravioles and
butter and a good grating of your favourite cheese. Warm in the oven just
until the cheese melts. Top with sweet spices.

(powder douce-sometimes sugar?, cinnamon?, cloves?, nutmeg?, mace?) not 
too sweet though...

--
***********************************************
Good, Bad, ...I'm the guy with the gun...-Ash
 
[email-masked]
 
***********************************************