Subject: More Medieval Recipes

From: [email-masked] (Donna Bowers)
Date: 6 Jan 1995 01:45:52 GMT

Heiatt & Butler  Curye on Inglysh

Diuersa Servicia p 66 no 24

For to make craytoun. Tak checonys & schald hem, & se<th> hem; & grrynd
gyngeur o<th>er pepyr & comyn, and temper it vp wy<th> god mylk & do <th>e
checonys <th>eryn, & boyle hem & serue yt for<th>e.

In modern English
to make craytoun. Take chickens and scald them and seeth them. Grind 
ginger or
pepper and cumin and temper it with milk. Put the chickens in this, boil them
and serve it.

Take your chicken parts and brown them well, almost to completion. <perhaps
3/4ths done> In a saucepan, put ginger and less cumin in with milk and heat
it. I use 1tsp ginger powder and 1/4 tsp cumin per cup of milk, but I 
tend to
like things spicy. I have not used pepper here. Heat the sauce well. If you
wish, you can remove the meat from the bones and add it to the sauce that way
or you can leave it as is. Finish the chicken in the hot milk. 

--
***********************************************
Good, Bad, ...I'm the guy with the gun...-Ash
 
[email-masked]
 
***********************************************