Subject: Almond milk

From: [email-masked] (Tim Allison)
Date: 1 Feb 1995 23:08:20 GMT

I need a recipe suitable for the fifteenth century using almond milk. I
don't currently have access to many medieval cookbooks-could anyone
provide some suggestions?
Thanks
Carol Mitchell

-- 
Tim Allison
[email-masked]

---

From: Gretchen Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 12:35:32 -0500

I don't have the recipe in front of me,  but this is the basic procedure:

Take almonds, blanch and peel (actually, you can get away with not
peeling, but this discolors the almond milk), grind them up small, put
in a pan, cover with water, and boil until the mixture thickens.  Strain
through a couple layers of cheesecloth, or a coffe filter (even let hang
for a while so all the liquid drips out.)

I know there's no numbers here, but if you cover the almonds like you'd
boil eggs or potatoes (just enough to cover, but not enough to make it
really soupy) it should be about right.

Good luck!

toodles, gretchen

---

From: Gretchen Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 12:36:25 -0500

Oops, that should be "strain the liquid into a container and save"--the
liquid being your almond milk.

toodles, gretchen