Subject: Native Indian Recipies

From: [email-masked] (Chris Rines)
Date: 24 Jan 95 18:27:51 GMT

Hi All,

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

I'm looking for Native North American Indian Recipies.  If you have any
please send them my way.

[Please Include the Nation.   ie.Inuit, Iroqouis, etc.]

Thanks,

Chris

---

From: [email-masked] (ABuehrle)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 03:57:07 LOCAL

>Chris

	There are a couple of books that give accounts of Iroquoian recipes: 

Parker, A.C.  	 Iroquoian Uses of Maize and Other Food Plants, 
	     	 New York State Museum Bulletin 144.

Densmore, Frances  How The Indian Use Wild Plants for Food, Medicine and 
		  Crafts,  Dover Publications of New York. 

	These publications are full of useful information about all kinds of 
practices concerning food. If you really want some detailed information on 
Iroquoian practices try the Jesuit Relations. A wealth of information can be 
found in them. 

	-anita

---

From: [email-masked] (SDunavan)
Date: 26 Jan 1995 13:23:37 -0500

Here’s a few more Native North American collections of recipes:

Gwaltney, Frances  (1988).  Corn Recipes from the Indians.  Cherokee
Publications, Cherokee, NC.

Kavasch, Barrie (1979).  Native Harvests:  Recipes and Botanicals of the
American Indian.  Vintage Books, NY.  (Includes names of specific groups
for recipes).

Davena, Juanita Tiger (19??).  Hopi Cookery.  University of Arizona Press,
Tucson.

Wetherill, Louisa Wade (1947).  Navaho Recipes.  _The Kiva_ 12(3):39-40.

Cushing, Frank (1920).  Zuni Breadstuff.  Indian Notes and Monographs 8. 
Heye Foundation, Museum of the American Indian, NY.  Out of print but a
classic.

Niethamer, Carolyn  (1974).  American Indian Food and Lore.  Collier
Books, NY.

You may also try using the keyword “ethnobotany” along with a group name,
or for a specific area for a search, if you want more general information
on native foods, although you may not get recipes per se.   Also try
reposting your message to NAT-HEALTH (apply to [email-masked]),
or on the usenet group soc.culture.native.   

SDunavan

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon Dresser)
Date: 28 Jan 1995 17:52:06 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...

>>Chris,
	You might want to look in the book titled "Indian Tepee's" by 
Reginald and 
Gladys Laubin.  They discuss some food dishes to eat in your newly erected 
tepee.  It was a very interesting book.