Subject: Viking cookbook

From: [email-masked] (Katrine Kirk)
Date: 19 Jan 1995 21:04:24 GMT

Quite a long time ago, several people were looking for viking
cookbooks. I want to let you know that I have been researching
it - there are none easily available in Denmark. However, the
National Museum has a librarian who became interested and has
promised me to look into it. I've already checked the public
libraries nearest me and asked several bookstores. 

I'll hopefully be posting more "real" information quite soon.
Paer, if you see this, did you say that you can read Swedish?
Do I remember correctly that you would be interested in material
in Danish also? I was asked by the librarian how detailed infor-
mation you want, and what the purpose is. Are you interested in
academic discussions of viking foods or just in recipes that you
could recreate?

I am told that nettle soup and various forms of meat wrapped in
heavy leaves (cabbage) and baked in a dirt "oven" by placing very
hot stones over and under were common dishes during the Viking 
era in Denmark.  Perhaps you already knew as much.

Katrine Kirk
[email-masked]