Subject: Real Question: Metal odor remover (Nonion, Cajun Smart Bar)?

From: Doug Sackin <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Feb 1995 03:37:52 GMT

I'm an engineering student at Bucknell University faced 
with the task of finding out why a product know as "metal soap" 
works.  It is apparently a bar of stainless steel that one "washes" 
their hands with under running water.  This action somehow removes 
the smell of onions, garlic, fish, supposedly anything, from the 
hands.  
	How and why does this work?
	I have done a bit of research and found two product names, 
Nonion and Cajun Smart Bar.  The Cajun Smart Bar is sold through a 
company called Norpro in WA.  I called them and they told me they 
didn't know how it worked.  Then I thought to ask if they actually 
produce the bar or not.  It turns out they buy it overseas.  They 
wouldn't give out the name of the manufacturer, their buyer or any 
information even if they did have it.  I think their afraid I might
start manufacturing a rival product in our metal shop.
	In any case, I would be extremely appreciative of any and all
information provided as to this product.  If you have heard of it or 
have a guess at how it might work, please email me at 
[email-masked].  I don't check these groups often, so please use
the email.  

	Also, if I've posted to a group that has no relation to this
questions of this sort, please don't flame me, just accept my apologies.

Thank you for whatever help you can provide.

Doug Sackin
[email-masked]
http://www.bucknell.edu/~sackin