Subject: Knox gelatin vs. isinglas

From: [email-masked] (Elise A. Fleming)
Date: 20 Jan 1995 14:03:30 GMT

I recently posted a recipe for "Leach" from Thomas Dawson, 1596.
What I posted was my _redaction_, and I noted that if the original
text was wanted, it could be sent.  I seriously doubt that a 
6th grader would want to make something from an unredacted Eliza-
bethan recipe.  Yup, Knox gelatin hadn't quite made it into the
Elizabethan kitchens.  The original called for "isinglass".  You
want that a 6th grader should go to the local grocery and try to
find "isinglass"??  Again, please note that the recipe was follow-
(sorry...) _preceded_ by "I'll give you my modern version."  As
to sugar, white sugar existed.  It came in cones of varying degrees
of whiteness and brown-ness.  There are several good modern books
that describe the History of Sugar.  By Elizabethan times sugar
was dropping in price and fairly readily obtainable, witness the
profusion of "banquetting stuffe" (dessert foods) which began
filling cookery books.  

Leach is a cute thing and tasty.  It is also wierd if you aren't
used to jellied milk.  Rosewater was the most common flavoring
in England at that time.  It was made by the women of the house
and (I'm guessing) might be purchased.  There are several recipes
for making it, but most are written down after 1625 since everyone
knew how to do it.  You can still make it today.

Dawson ended his recipe by saying "Lay it fair in dishes, and lay
golde upon it."

Elise/Alys

---

From: [email-masked] (Nick Maclaren)
Date: 23 Jan 1995 22:25:21 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Elise A. Fleming <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>....  Yup, Knox gelatin hadn't quite made it into the
>find "isinglass"??   ...

Yup, I do.  Should be an education both for the 6th grader and the
grocery staff :-)

I know isinglass is available in the UK, but I have never seen it
on sale to the public.  Not that this helps!

Nick Maclaren,
University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory,
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.
Email:  [email-masked]
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Cauldwell)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 08:50:27 -0800

You actually can get isenglas at most brewing supply stores, in case you
want to try the authentic version.

Just my $.02 worth.

Patrick

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Elise A. Fleming) wrote:

> find "isinglass"??

-- 
These are my opinions, and I doubt if either Intel or Sonata Inc know anything about them.  They don't necessarily share them.

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve E. Mercer)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 17:37:43 GMT

>on sale to the public.  Not that this helps!

Isinglass is available from most homebrew/winemaking
supply stores in the US.  It is used as a traditional
fining agent when making beer or wine.  If you do not
have a brewing supply shop in your area, you can get
it via mail-order.

For example:
>from  the Semplex of USA catalog #95A
"ISINGLASS: In liquid form for clarifying wine or beer.
 includes instructions for both.  Made from sturgeon
 bladder.  Item 6001  4 oz. bottle  US$2.29 ppd."
Semplex: 1-800-488-5444 - free catalog

Disclaimer: I do not work for Semplex, but I do buy
my brewing stuff from them.
---
Steve Mercer
[email-masked]