Subject: Re: Cajun Andouille Sausage

From: [email-masked] (Mike Milligan)
Date: 17 Feb 1995 03:16:05 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Dwight Shackelford) says:
>
>Help.  I am looking for the ingredients of Andouille sausage (most 
>particularly the seasonings), a cajun staple (almost).  It is extremely 
>fragrant and I am trying to replicate it.  
>
>Dwight Shackelford
>
>From an old (1938) copy of "The Picayune Creole Cookbook", 9th edition,
Chitterlings or "Andouilles":
2# fat pork, hashed
2# lean pork, hashed
1# inner lining of hog stomach, hashed
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large onions, minced
3 bay leaves, minced
1 TBSP each salt, pepper
1 tsp each cayenne, chili pepper
1/2 tsp each mace, cloves, allspice, ground fine
1 TBSP each thyme, marjoram, parsley, minced
Mix the hashed meats and minced and ground spices, onions and garlic
well, very well together. Tie the mix into sausage casings either the 
size of a "hand" for "Andouilles" or thumb size for "Andouillettes".
Serve with mashed potatoes, a puree of peas or lentils. They are first
boiled (cooked completely) in an aromatic water, with an herb bouquet
or in milk. They are then broiled or baked in the oven for 8 or 10
minutes to brown.

Good luck! Wish I was there to eat some!

Nancy Roatcap
Rancho de Luxe <%)