Subject: Viking cooking

From: Kirk/[email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 95 13:52:12 +0100

Hello,    

As you can see, the list of people interested in viking cooking
is growing. Jim, you are on the list. Does Mary have a separate
email account?

The status is this: I've talked with the National Museum Library
again, and they claim they have already mailed me the information
I requested, but I haven't received it. I should receive a new
set tomorrow, and will get back to you. I expect the package will
contain literature references to works that discuss viking cooking.

The National Museum library is accessible through the Danish Library
system, which is commercial and quite expensive (called Danbib). 
If anyone is interested I could find out more. (They charge the e-
quivalent of 20c (US) every time you press <enter>.)

The Royal Danish Library has an internet address and is free. I've had
problems getting it running, but it might be worth a shot for those of
you interested in doing your own literature search. This is what I've
been told to do:

   Telnet 130.226.220.15    
   rex1 <enter>  or  rex2 <enter> (see below)
   <esc>
   rex1 <enter>  or  rex2 <enter>
   kb rex <enter>
   def eng          (sets the system to run in English)
   ?guide           (gives you the help system in English)

Rex1 contains primarily foreign (ie non-Danish) literature and music scores.
Rex2 contains the Danish national literature, including Judaica, Orientalia,
maps and paintings, REGINA (?), and the contents of external academic libraries 
such as Copenhagen University's. 

Jim, you asked about cost. Up to now I haven't spent any money on this. If
it turns out that you would like me to buy something for you that is only
available in Denmark, we can perhaps work out some sort of arrangement, since 
I always have a list of books I'd like that are not available here. 

That's it for now. Have a good weekend.

Katrine Kirk

---

From: Kirk/[email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 95 17:28:13 +0100

Hi again, Jim and other viking interested people

This whole thing got me quite curious myself, and I had a look
at the Royal Danish Library's database. The instructions I gave
in the previous note worked fine; the system must have been down
when I tried earlier today. 

I did a search on rex2 with the following string:

ti=viking not ud=viking

The result is 371 records, of which about half are really about 
the viking age. Writing "not ud=viking" eliminates some records
in which the publisher's name is viking, although you'll still have
to sift through quite a bit. There are no viking "cookbooks" but quite
a few sociological, anthropological, political, cultural and functional
analyses of viking times. Some of the more anthropologically inspired
books might contain details of food and eating customs.

Since I've already played around with it, let me give you some 
references I thought looked interesting:

Batey et al (1994): Cultural atlas of the viking world
ID #  0816030049

Jesch, Judith (1993): Women in the viking age

Maynard, Christopher (1994): In Viking Times.  London: Kingfisher

Williams, Mary Wilhelmine (1971): Social Scandinavia in the Viking Age.

Hadenius & Janrup (1976): How they lived in a viking settlement.

Almqvist, Bo (1991): Viking Ale... 

Olson, Olaf (1959): The Viking camp near Hobro
ID # x523886615

Mikkelsen, Vald (1986): Borup: man and vegetation... 

Morley, Jacqueline: How would you survive as a viking?

Foote, Peter: The Viking Achievement. Society and culture...

Martell, Hazel Mary (1993): Everyday life in viking times
London, Watts Books

Simpson, Jacqueline (1967): Everyday life in the Viking age
London: Putman

The Viking Age: early history, manners and customs. 2 vol.s
New York: AMS Press 1970, original 1889

Trotzig, Gustaf: Craftmanship...

Various proceedings from the annual Viking Conference

Of course these references aren't complete, but since I only 
have the vaguest idea about your research project (is the focus
of it actually food? and what about the rest of you? how serious
about this are you? how may I help?), I don't want to go to ex-
cessive lengths. Have a look at the database if you like. 

OK, enough for now.

Katrine Kirk