Subject: mead / hippocras

From: [email-masked] (Gregory Owen)
Date: 27 Jan 1995 02:54:22 GMT

Hello,

	A couple of days ago I posted on the subject of hippocras,
quoting Gayre to the effect that hippocras was a sugared wine rather
than a mead.  I've since run across a reference in Papazian's "The New
Complete Joy of Homebrewing" that says it is a form of mead, and the
mead-lovers-digest FAQ also believes so.  I still believe Gayre to be
correct, for reasons not worth going into here, but I am going to
raise this question on mead-lovers-digest.  

	I wanted to mention this here because it does raise questions
about that earlier post of mine.  If interest in this is dead, forgive
me ;>.

Greg Owen { [email-masked],@xis.xerox.com } http://www.cs.tufts.edu/~gowen/
 1.01 GCS/GO d++ p+ c++ l++ u++ e+ -m+ s++/- n- h !(f)? g+ -w+ t+ r-- y?
 "I want to permeate the air you breathe/slide my way under your skin/place 
myself behind your eyes/and watch you, watch me, looking in." Katell Keineg

---

From: [email-masked] (Jody C. Patilla)
Date: 29 Jan 1995 18:23:11 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
>raise this question on mead-lovers-digest.  

	Here is a recipe I copied down about 18 years ago for hippocras.
I appear not to have listed the source, sorry, but it appears in my notes
here along with something called Ould Man's Milk, from the same source. I
will include both.

Louis XIV Hypocras

1 quart good claret		1/4 tsp mace
1/2 cup warm honey		12 cloves
1/4 tsp cinnamon		1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper		1 russet apple, sliced
1/4 tsp ginger

BLend honey into claret until it doesn't settle to the bottom. Add all other
ingredients and let stand overnight. Strain twice through 4 layers of
cheescloth. Bottle & cork tightly.

Ould Man's Milk

1 bottle ale		1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon	2 egg yolks
1/4 tsp nutmeg		1 scant tsp honey
2 jiggers Scotch whisky

Heat ale in saucepan, dust with spices. Beat eggs with honey until light
and frothy. Just before ale comes to a boil, pour in eggs, stirring with
whisk. Just before drinking, add whisky and stir. Drink hot.

-- 

jcpatilla					[email-masked]
Otter, otter, otter! Floating on the sea!
Eating fish and urchins, happier than thee....