Subject: Re: history/origins of BBQ

From: [email-masked] (Karoline Wallace)
Date: 9 Jan 1995 19:36:16 GMT

I am a grad student at Univ of PA and I have just written a paper on
barbecue.  There are dozens of references you could use, I'm not sure
where to begin...  The Oxford English Dictionary has references to
everything you mentioned in your posting.  Also, and search on
subject=barbecue in an academic library will give you hundreds of
materials to go through.  Why are you interested in barbecue?  I'm very
curious......

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Bruce
Hunt) wrote:

> I'm looking for historical information about barbecue. Specifically I'm 
> interested in its origins (who were the first barbecuers?), particularly 
> any references to Arawak Indians (Caribbean) and "boucaning" or 
> (spelling variation) "buccaning" or "barbacoa". Just respond on this 
> newsgroup or e-mail at address below. 
> 
> Thanks in advance for your help,
> 
> Bruce Hunt
> [email-masked]

*******************************************************
Karoline Wallace
Computing & Information Systems
College of General Studies, University of Pennsylvania
Tel: (215) 898-5522   Email: [email-masked]
*******************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (C. Waters)
Date: 13 Jan 1995 22:13:17 GMT

I actually did a search on the OED, via CD-ROM on "barbeque" - it is
>from  indians in the Caribbean, from barbacoa.  Email me and I'll send
you the file I downloaded.