Subject: Garbage Corrected.

From: [email-masked] (Brendt Hess)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 1995 15:28:00 GMT

*Sigh*  This is what I get for posting late at night without having my
references close to hand.  First, Garbage, is not baked, it's boiled
(It is an English recipe, after all).  Second, he source of the
recipies was:

       Two fifteenth-century cookery-books : Harleian ms. 279
       (ab. 1430), and Harl. ms. 4016 (ab. 1450), with extracts
       from Ashmole ms. 1439, Laud ms. 553, and Douce ms. 55;
       ed. by Thomas Austin, Pub. by the Early English Text
       Society, No 91.

These are 15th century manuscripts, not 14th century as I originally
posted.

Since I'm near the recipe right now, I may as well pass it on.
Here's the recipe from Harlein ms 4016:

--------------------------

Take faire Garbage, chickens hedes, ffete, lyvers, And gysers, and
wassh hem clenel caste hem into a faire potte, And cast fressh broth
of Beef, powder of Peper, Canell, Clowes, Maces, Parcely and Sauge
myced small; then take brede, stepe hit in [th]e same brothe, Drawe hit
thorgh a streynour, cast thereto, And let boyle ynowe; caste there-to
pouder gynger, vergeous, salt, And a litull Safferon, and serve hit
forthe.

My Translation:  Take fresh Giblets (chicken head & feet, liver,
heart, and gizzard), wash them, and place them in a pan with beef
broth, and bring it to a boil.  Season the broth with ground pepper,
cinnamon, cloves, mace, parsley, and sage.  Then take bread and steep
it in the broth, force the soaked bread through a strainer, and place
back in the pot, then bring to a boil.  Add powdered ginger, verjuice,
salt, and saffron, and serve.

---------------------------

Obviously, this is more soupy than solid, depending on the quantity of
bread added.

Both of the manuscripts that are in the publication contain
essentially identical recipies.  Are there any *other* known
transcriptions of it?  Any other names (if you recognize the recipe
but have seen it under a different name)?  Any information would be
appreciated.

Brendt H.

 * OLX 2.1 TD * All wiyht.  Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?