Subject: Re: Heirloom Plant Varieties

From: [email-masked] (Mark Shanks)
Date: 28 Feb 1995 21:43:24 GMT

[email-masked] (Laurie Detre) wrote:
>
>Hello.  My name is Laurie Detre and I am a student at Hiram College.  
I'm
>writing a paper on Heirloom Varieties of plants and was wondering if 
anyone
>knew of any sources I could use.

Laurie:

One of the major players in saving herloom varieties of food plants (esp. 
for ALHFAM: Association of Living Historical Farms and Agricultural 
Museums) is an organization called Seed Savers International.  Besides 
publishing an annual "Seed Savers Yearbook" w/ listings of the 900 
members of SSE's and the 15,000 heirloom vegitable varieties, they also 
have a wide range of other publications on the subject.  And beyond their 
publications, they also have an active program of preserving heritage 
varieties and seeds on their farm in Iowa, and collection that roams the 
world seeking historic varieties.

They can be contacted at:

Seed Saver's Exchange
3076 North Winn Road, 
Decorah, Iowa, 52101

Phone: 319-382-5990     Fax:  319-382-5872

Hope this helps...
 
-
  MARK SHANKS  [email-masked]
  
 Sure, I'm living in the past...  I'm a historian!