Subject: Medieval Cheesemaking

From: [email-masked] (Rebecca LeDock)
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 1995 15:53:51 GMT

I am looking for sources on medieval cheeses, particularly Welsh or 
British, what they where, how they were made, etc.  All information welcome
since this is the beginning of a new project for me.

Rebecca LeDock
[email-masked]
"That's my story and I'm sticking to it."

---

From: [email-masked] (Patricia Reynolds)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 18:03:10 +0000

> since this is the beginning of a new project for me.
You could try looking up all the cheese names and terms in the Oxford
English Dictionary.  Not only does this give you the first recorded
useage, but also where they were used - books which you might find useful.

There is an equivalent Welsh dictionary in progress.

-- 
Patricia Reynolds
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Helen S. Woolverton)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 15:09:14 GMT

>useage, but also where they were used - books which you might find useful.

Also of use (maybe), is "Food & Drink in England from the Stone Age
through the 19th century" by C. Anne Wilson

(I'm not too certain on the title, the author I am certain of).

It goes through and purports to give a history of how/what foods were
available/popular/considered edible in the British Isles.  I'm slowly
reading it, and have only found one (non-food related) clank on her info
in 3/4 of the book.  There are no recipies per se, but descriptions of
a lot of techniques etc.

Hope this helps, YMMV,
[email-masked]
(clueless lurker, returning to standard mode)