Subject: Re: Pistachio 2

From: "H. B. Ghoddusi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 18:08:39 +0000

On Sat, 25 Feb 1995, Manuel Lopez Mateos wrote:

> I intend to eat the nuts from my two eight year pistachio trees.
> By now the nuts are growing. Does somebody knows how to get those crispy,
> salty pistachios from the nut in the tree?
> Thanks
> Manuel
> 
> _._._.-.-.-._._._.-.-.-._._._.-.-.-._._._.-.-.-._._._.-.-.-._._._.-.-.-._._._.
>                                       
>       Manuel Lopez Mateos                 [email-masked]
>                                           52(971)11-971
> -.-.-._._._.-.-.-._._._.-.-.-._._._.-.-.-._._._.-.-.-._._._.-.-.-._._._.-.-.-.
> 
> 
 Dear Manuel

1-Once you take the nuts from the tree, first get rid of the peel (the thiny 
one).

2-Let them dry in sun (needs longer time and subjected to have enough sunny 
days) or in oven (it's faster but becareful to avoid overheating). 

3-Make a bowl of brine (not very concentrated). up 3-4% should be alright

4-Put the pistachios in a pan and heat it over a cooker until browning and 
bumping starts. Keep on low heating for a while in this stage. 

5-Add the brine (not soak the nuts, just make them wet) and keep on heating 
while stirring until the nuts become dry again, while the salt is 
crystalized over them.

P.S I've never tried this precedure for pistachio. but I've done it 
several times with different seeds and it works very well.

If you enjoyed your crispy pistachio, post me some. since I've run 
out of the ones I brought from home.

Regards     Hamid