Subject: Re: Ancient Greek Food (HELP!)

From: [email-masked] (Katrine Kirk)
Date: 18 Jan 1995 16:52:58 GMT

Tom Walton ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hello.  I am trying to prepare a 10th century b.c Phaician feast.  Can 
: anyone help???

: Even a response with names of dishes to prepare (research) would be helpful.

I'm sorry I can't help you, but I'd like to call your attention
to rec.food.historic. There are some very helpful people there.
This response it posted to both groups.

Katrine Kirk
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Waks)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 22:30:13 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Marjorie Rosen) writes:
>You might try Jeff Smith's THREE ANCIENT CUISINES. He goes into great 
>detail regarding early Greek, Roman, and Chinese dishes.

You should note that he's very light on documentation, and appears to
have a tendency to accept folk wisdom about what dishes are old and
which aren't. On the other hand, his guesses are definitely sometimes
right -- I was very amused to find a lamb & pepper dish, served over
orzo, which is very close to my reconstruction of a (very, very tasty)
dish I reconstructed out of one of the period Islamic cookbooks (I
think the Andalusian Manuscrito Anonimo, but I'm not sure off the top
of my head)...

				-- Justin

Random Quote du Jour:

"tongue: A variety of meat, rarely served because it clearly crosses the line
 between a cut of beef and a piece of dead cow."
		-- Henry Beard

---

From: [email-masked] (Jenny Woolf)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 17:52:19 +0000

Can you get hold of "The British Museum Cookbook"?  It's published in 
London by, guess what, the British Museum, London W.C.1.  It was published
a while back but they may still have copies in stock that they can mail
order to you. It consists of ancient recipes from many periods which have
been modernised just enough to make them feasible for today's kitchens. They
say what changes they have made, so you can do it the authentic way if you
really want.  
*********
* Jenny *   @howl.demon.co.uk
*********