Subject: Inuit way of life

From: [email-masked] (Bill Stuart)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 10:14:56 GMT

The Inuit are a people that are from the arctic and near arctic
regions of Canada and in Alaska.
	
	Their diet consists mostly of fish and meat. Vegetables are very
very very hard to find in arctica. At a certain latitude, plant life does
not grow. 
	The inuit go on hunts that last for weeks at a time, to bring down
a animal or two. During this hunt, there is a very good chance that the
hunters will starve. To prevent this, they leave dried meat from previous
hunts at locations buried in the snow. 
	Animals that are hunted are Caribou, bears, seals, foxes, and
wolves. The wolves and foxes are hunted for skins and fat, they are not
usually eaten unless the hunt goes poorly. They do not hunt wolverines
(wolverines are giant rats with a mean streak).
	The inuit make use of all the animal parts. The bones are used to
make tools and toys.

-Eskimo is a extreme insult in the inuit languages, it is sort of like
calling a black man "Nigger". It means "eater of raw fish" in Inuit, which
paraphrased, means the person is a very poor hunter with no social skills. 

-Inuit elders, when they felt they were too old to be of any use to the
group, wandered off alone and died, or requested that the others kill
them. A tale of an inuit man being hung at his own request by his sons is
printed in the book "Paper stays put", by hurtig publishers in Alberta.

-above the arctic circle, "night" and "day" lose all meaning. A single
night can last months, and a single day can last the same amount of time.
The further north you go above the arctic circle, the longer the
night/days get. 
--
"To do nothing is as fatal as to do evil, but it is more cowardly. The
most unpardonable of mortal sins is inertia." -Eliphas Levi
"A chain of iron is easier to break than a chain of flowers"-Eliphas Levi