Subject: Re: Difference between quiche & flan?

From: [email-masked] (Joshin Yamada)
Date: 28 Feb 1995 06:09:42 -0800

It seems that there are quite a few conflicting definitions of flan.
I have a quiche cookbook that has American and British recipes, and
half of the recipes are called flans on the UK side of the page.

In Cuba and Mexico, it seems that flan refers specifically to a rich
custard, usually without crust, often with caramel sauce.

Quiche seems to be more universally accepted, as an egg pie with a
crrust and usually savory.

Are there other recipes (not savory and eggy) that are Pies in the
US and flans in the UK, or is just quiches that translate to flan
there?

We should keep track of the national definitions and put it in the
FAQ under Quiche/flan/pie Debate.

Deebie

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce R. Fortnum)
Date: 01 Mar 1995 21:39:57 GMT

For whatever it's worth in your quest for culinary enlightenment in sunny
Brighton, we have always considered a flan an open tart containing fruit and
quiche a custard flan.  For further and more complete definition, I suggest
Larousse Gastronomique.

For culinary confusion, try a precise historical and international definition
of pie and tart.  Surely a doctoral thesis.

Bruce Fortnum
F&M