Subject: REQ: Haggis Recipes

From: [email-masked] (CHRIS CHAPMAN)
Date: 23 Jan 1995 19:12:15 GMT

Yep, that's right.  I'm-a-lookin for HAGGIS recipes.  While I know that most 
of you may feel that Scottish cuisine is based on a dare, I am seriously 
looking for a good haggis recipe for JAN 25 -- Robbie Burns' Day.

I did have one that my grandmother wrote out but have long since lost the 
damn thing, and I have some curious cohorts who would like to sample some 
authentic haggie with some Glenfiddich on the side.  I'd like to oblige them.

Any offers?

Chris Chapman
Lakehead U - Thunder Bay
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jack Campin)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 15:58:47 GMT

[email-masked] (CHRIS CHAPMAN) wrote:
> I am seriously 

Your article only got here this morning.  (BTW, you mean Burns Night -
it's never called anything else here).

F. Marian MacNeill's "The Scots Kitchen" has a few haggis recipes.

But, where's the history in this?  I've never seen any source that
raised the issue of whether haggis _had_ a history.  It appears in
everything I've read as being as immemorial as Lewisian gneiss.  If
it _has_ in fact undergone documented changes over time, where are
they described?

There is of course some synchronic variation - Scottish butchers use
different recipes today, and if you look at MacNeill's recipes you'll see
that one stands out as far more expensive to make than the others, and is
presumably an upper-class variant.  But Scotland has had an identifiable
plutocracy since the early Bronze Age; this doesn't have to be a recent
innovation.

(Now I think of it: pepper must have been added in historic times).

-- 
-- Jack Campin  --  Room 1.36, Dept. of Computing & EE, Heriot-Watt University,
   Riccarton, Edinburgh EH14 4AS   WWW: http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/~jack/jack.html
   Internet: [email-masked]  Phone: 031 449 5111 ext 4195  Fax: 031 451 3431
   Home phone: 031 556 5272                Home Internet: [email-masked]