Subject: RECIPE: FRUMENTE (Was Pre 1500 recipes?)

From: Alan Deacon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 13:42:48 GMT

Frumenty is an old recipe which goes back at least to the 14th century.
It is a wheat-porridge with various goodies added to make it more
interesting. Originally it was used as the natural accompaniement for
Venison. On fish days the venison would be replaced by porpoise (dolphin).

Later in its history it was served as a dish in its own right, and in
that form still survives as a christmas special porridge in some countries.
I believe the scandinavian Jule-Groaten is a form of frumenty.

The following is I think a 15th century version of the recipe:

  FURMENTE

  Take wete and pyke hit fayre and clene and do it in a mortar shene.
  Bray hit a lyttelle with water it spryng [sprinkle] Tyl hit hulle,
  without blesyng. Then wyndo hit wele, nede thou most, washe it fayre
  and put hit in pot, Boyle hit tylle hit brest [burst] then; 
  Let hit down, as I thee kenne. Take new mylke, and play hit up. Till
  hit be thykkerede to sup. Lye hit up with yolkes of eyren, and kepe
  it wele, lest hit berne. Coloure hit with safron and salt hit wele
  and servys hit forth, sir at the mele; with sugar candy thou may it
  dowce, If hit be served in grete lordys howse. Take black sugar for
  mener menne, Beware therewith for hit wylle brenne [burn].

The secret to success here is long slow gentle cooking. Soak whole wheat
overnight. I use half-and-half whole grains of wheat and bulgar. Drain
and cook with creamy milk (2 pints to 0.5 lb wheat). Cook very gently,
otherwise it will burn. Especially if you add other goodies such as 
egg-yolks, gentle spices (cinnamon, safron, mace), sweetener (honey,
sugar), dried fruit.

I had most success cooking this in a hay box for 3 to 4 hours. A slow
cooker may be as good. The end result should be a satiny smooth, creamy
porridge.
 
--
	Alan Deacon (User Services)
	Information Systems Division 		Email: [email-masked]
	University College London		Tel: 0171-380 7359
	Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT		Fax: 0171-388 5406