Subject: Recipe: How to cook a whale.

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Hallman)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 04:48:05 GMT

How to cook a whale found dead on the beach.
***********
This is my 1995 translation of the George Hunt 1914 translation of a old
Kwakuitl recipe given by Elie Hunt in the Kwakuitl language. 
***********

Most importantly, you cannot eat it all by yourself!  

So... the first step is to call for a party and invite all your friends,
relatives, and local dignitaries. 

A special occasion, like the finding of a dead whale, calls for the use of
ceremonial names.  Though a hunter, a man, has found the whale, preparing
food is women's work, and therefore the daughter of the hunter has the
rights to prepare the whale.  She is given the ceremonial name,
_Place-of-cutting-Blubber_.  Note that it is the daughter who has the
rights, not the wife(s), due to the family rights in a matrilineal
society. 

Once everybody is ready, you bring tools, and the hunter who found the
whale leads everybody in their canoes to the spot where he found it.  The
father of the hunter has the honor of speaking for the daughter of the
hunter to "make a toast" for the occasion.  It is customary to first
declare how wonderful the whale is, being full of delicious blubber, etc.. 
Then you should give the choicest piece (the dorsal fin) to the ranking
dignitary, who is typically the chief of the village. 

Everybody else gets an equal size piece of the whale according to the
order of their rank.  The first piece starts at the whale neck, and they
work from the top down and from the head to the tail.  Generally the
pieces are cut about a fathom (6 feet) in width.  After the ceremonial
pieces are given out, the women go to work to gather the remaining fat
from the whale.  The last step is cut off a piece of the tale of the
whale. 

When this is done, the pieces are loaded in the canoes, and everybody goes
home to do the remainder of the preparation.  The hunks of blubber are
split into strips four fingers thick (two inches).  These pieces are then
cut into half inch strips. 

A kettle of water is set to boil on the beach, and the strips are boiled
to render the oil.  The oil is ladled off and stored in watertight storage
boxes.  Whale oil is best stored in the corner of your house. 
 
Then, you take cedar bark, and split it into long strips.  Poke holes in
the middle of the boiled pieces of whale blubber, and thread them onto the
long strips of bark.  When finish these strings of blubber are now called
"tied-in-the-middle". 

Dry these strips in the smoky rafters of your house for at least a 
month.  When you want to eat some "tied-in-the-middle" take it down from 
the rafters, and boil it in a kettle until tender.  This takes a lot of 
boiling.  Be sure to eat it hot, because when it is cold, it is really 
tough.  If you boil more than you can eat, you can dry it again, and 
reheat it later.  This dish is called "eating boiled blubber tied in the 
middle", a real treat! 
-- 
 '     *   . .      '           +         `  .        ) *     ' bruce hallman
 . +   .        ,    * ' .      '     . `     . *     .   [email-masked]
. _/_/ ' _/_/_/  _/  _/_/   '   NEW! => URL http://www.netgate.net/~deadfish/