Subject: Re: Garbage Recipies/History

From: [email-masked] (Par Leijonhufvud labtek)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 17:06:27 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Brendt Hess <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>For the interested:  Garbage is a baked dish of chicken gizzards, head,
>and feet.  If people are interested, I will post a transcription of the
>recipe.
>
>Brendt H.
>

Please do post it; sounds fun.

/P{r

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:   Paer K.G. Leijonhufvud          Oh, *practice*. I don't mind 
Email:  [email-masked]   *practising*. So long as we
Voice:  +46-(0)8-758 8459               don't have to do it for real...

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Sandor)
Date: 28 Feb 1995 02:43:22 GMT

: >For the interested:  Garbage is a baked dish of chicken gizzards, head,
: >and feet.  If people are interested, I will post a transcription of the
: >recipe.

: How "offal"!  ;-)

hate to burst the buble of sheltered people, but in many eastern cultures 
these parts of the chicken are considered very edible.  These parts do 
not contain much nurishment, but they are great for flavouring soups.

I myself have eaten all of these parts as a child, as well as pigs feet, 
ox tongue, and chickens blood.  And I have not died yet.

Sorry, no recipe for garbage though.  But I would have to comment that it 
is the dumbest name for a meal I have ever heard.
*****************************************************************************

		 \||/
		 |  O___oo              
       /\  /\   / (__,,,,|           When trying to dominate the world
      ) /^\) ^\/ _)                  just remember that 90 percent of
      )   /^\/   _)                  the people around you are sheep.
      )   _ /  / _)                  The other 10 percent are just plain   
  /\  )/\/ ||  | )_)                 stupid. 
 <  >      |(,,) )__)                         - Dragon Slayer -
  ||      /    \)___)\               
  | \____(      )___) )___            
   \______(_______;;; __;;;   
	Frank Sandor                       [email-masked]

*****************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (david director friedman)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 06:04:33 GMT

I am almost certain there is a garbage recipe in _Two Fifteenth
Century Cookbooks_, because I remember cooking it long before _Curye
on Englysche_ came out

David Friedman

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 19:29:49 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Herbert Ruessink) writes:

>I love the English language: Sheep is mutton, calf is veal, and offal is
>garbage. 

"Mutton"  and  "veal" aren't English, they are French: respectively "mouton" 
and "veau."  When the Normans conquered Britain and subjugated the 
Anglo-Saxons, the word for the **animal** that had to be cared for by the 
conquered remained the same, and today we use A-S words like "sheep" "pig" and 
"cow" for them; but the word for the **meat** which was eaten by the 
conquerors is derived from French instead.  "Beef" is an anglicized version of 
"boeuf" analogous to "mutton" and "veal."   For pigs the equivalent is "pork" 
which comes from the French "porc."

Don't know the origin of "offal" (have to look it up) but I'd bet it's 
Anglo-Saxon--they had to butcher the beasts and if they were good little boys 
and girls, they got to eat the innards.

>Chicken livers and chicken stomachs are "normal" in Holland. You can buy
>them easily and apparently some people really love them. 

Livers are widely sold and eaten in the US, as are the gizzards, which is what 
I think you mean by "stomach"--the bird's digestive tract is not like that of 
mammals and the "stomach" has a much different arrangement.  I would not eat 
bird intestines, though I suppose the eating of pig and cattle intestines (in 
the form of sausage casing) is pretty widespread.  Boiled chicken intestines, 
sorry, no.  If the Dutch eat **those**, they have my sympathies.

The Elitist

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 14:09:12 GMT

>these parts of the chicken are considered very edible.  

That's true, but remember the old saying that "The Chinese will anything with 
four legs except the table."  I have some considerable experience with 
third-world countries myself (including Asia) and have eaten things many 
"sheltered" people would consider inedible, but I draw the line at bird 
entrails, regardless of species.  Chicken guts may be technically edible, and 
they may indeed give wonderful flavoring to soups, but society will have to 
come down several levels before I'd consider eating them on a regular basis.  
Yuk!

The Elitist

P.S. Besides, if you knew as much about intestinal parasites as I do, you 
wouldn't eat them either.

---

From: [email-masked] (Suzanne Houghton)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 95 20:00:16 GMT

>not contain much nurishment, but they are great for flavouring soups.

Americans are more selective about what they consider "meat."  By meat,
they usually mean muscle.  In other parts of the world, meat seems to be
anything that is not bone.

---

From: [email-masked] (Herbert Ruessink)
Date: 1 Mar 1995 15:35:32 +0100

>I draw the line at bird 

Chicken livers and chicken stomachs are "normal" in Holland. You can buy
them easily and apparently some people really love them. I do not take
that as a sign of the low level of Dutch society. Nor should should
anyone else.

Herbert.

-- 
Bytes : [email-masked]     | Paper : Herbert Ruessink 
Voice : +31 30 53 6369                  |         OTS/STT, Trans 10
Fax   : +31 30 53 6000                  |         NL-3512 JK Utrecht
                                        |         The Netherlands

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Sandor)
Date: 4 Mar 1995 09:01:45 GMT

Suzanne Houghton ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Americans are more selective about what they consider "meat."  By meat,
: they usually mean muscle.  In other parts of the world, meat seems to be
: anything that is not bone.

If they are so selective, how did the hot dog ever become so popular?  

		 \||/
		 |  O___oo

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Dotterer)
Date: 4 Mar 1995 17:04:52 GMT

I've had a Garbage Plate before at Nick Tahoe's Home of the Garbage Plate
in Rochester, N.Y. does that count?

For those of you curious this is what it consist of;

On a plate put down a bed of fried potatoes, then add a split and fried white
hot (pork hotdog) or red hot (beef hotdog), then add a really greasy Greek
Sauce, then garnisheed with about a 1/2 cup of raw onions.  It's been a
while but I think that's all that's on it, anybody else had one lately?

This is in the old train station a couple doors down from the mission.  You
would not believe how many of these plates they sell, and late Friday night,
early Saturday morning it's quite a colorful place.

________________________________________________________________________________

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain
a little safety deserve neither liberty nor
safety."    -- Benjamin Franklin

The opinions are mine and may not be that of my employer

________________________________________________________________________________