Subject: Re: Ancient Roman Cuisine

From: [email-masked] (Malcolm Davies)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 22:44:52 GMT

snip

>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>(Desidia) wrote:

>> I'm wondering if anyone has attempted, or is interested in attempting, to 
>> prepare any recipes from the ancient Roman cookbook attributed to one 
>> Apicius.  I've recently begun a study of Apiciana.  As a professional 
>> classicist and amateur cook, I'm interested in understanding the cuisine 
>> of Ancient Rome.  Unfortunately, there is little more than 
>> Apicius' cryptic text to go on.

I've used some of the meat sauce recipes with some success, though it can be 
hard to get the precise herbs.

Of hand I don't remember which edition I'm using.

Its rather interesting if you cook several of these dishes because you start 
to get a feel for the cuisine.  So just as chinese, indian or french has a 
certain "feel", so does roman. 

Malcolm Davies

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Anna Mazzoldi)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 18:31:50 GMT

rec.food.historic:

> Hi,

> First, let's continue this in rec.food.historic.

Curiously, I just had a recipe from one of the translations of that
cookbook made for me by my mother-in-law...

I don't know the name, but it was cracked wheat with aubergines and
nuts and it tasted delicious. She asked us to guess where the recipe
may be from, and almost everything was tried, but the final general
consensus was for Near East or Africa. No-one even went close to
guessing...

--
Anna Mazzoldi
[email-masked]
Dublin, Ireland