Subject: Anybody know how to Make Vititus?

From: 168.143.8.5 (MATT)
Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 00:22:27 -0400

Vititus is a mead like honey liquor that is Lithuanian in origin.   You
used to be able to buy it in many of the bars in Baltimore's Lithuanian
neighborhood.  Unfortunately it was made by a little old lady who never
shared the recipe.  I have since moved and would like to enjoy it again. 
Anyone know how to make it?

-- 
MATThew A. White
Director of Education
Baltimore Museum of Industry
1415 Key Highway
Baltimore, MD 21230
(410)727-4808
FAX(410)727-4869
e-mail [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Richard)
Date: 24 May 1995 17:06:56 GMT

I have a small amount of aesofatida that I use in various eastern recipes, but
I don't see many published recipes that call for it.  My understanding is 
that the spice was used extensively in the Roman Empire.  Can someone provide
a brief history of the spice, in addition to a few recipes that use it?

Below is a simple recipe for cooking greens that I make often.  It is best with
freshly cut vegetables - my favorites are chard, beet tops and spinach.

Heat approx. 4 Tblsp. of either canola or olive oil over medium hi heat.  Add
1/4 tsp. of aesofatida and cook for only a few seconds.  Then add 6-8 cups of
chopped greens and cook in the oil for about 5 minutes.  Add 1/4 cup of water
and cook for another few minutes.  Serve immediately.

/Mike

---

From: [email-masked] (John E. Taylor III)
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 07:44:54 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> a brief history of the spice, in addition to a few recipes that use it?

[recipe for greens deleted]

Thanks for the recipe, Mike.  Guess I'll have to go track down some more
asafoetida.  Had some that I picked up for Indian potato recipes; kept it
in a sealed jar inside another sealed jar, but my wife still said it
reeked, and threw it out.
--
John Taylor    (W3ZID)      |  "The opinions expressed are those of the
e-mail: [email-masked] |   writer and not of Rohm and Haas Company."