Subject: Tempura: Source of Word

From: [email-masked] (James P Mork)
Date: 16 Apr 1995 02:53:20 GMT

In antoher newsgroup, I was discussing borrowed words and stated that I'd 
read somewhere (can't remember where now) that tempura was a Nipponized 
version of a Portuguese word.  A person who speaks Portuguese asked what 
the word might be.  Since I read this so long ago, I can't even go back 
and check.  But since this is a group having to do with history and food, 
maybe someone here has a resource within easy reach that explains how 
Japan learned to make tempura and the source of the word (at least it 
seems like its worth a shot).

If there is an answer out there, either email me or just post the answer 
here.

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim  Mork                       Rire, c'est a vivre.        
[email-masked]             Vivre, c'est a rire!
[email-masked]
Minneapolis, Minnesota
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------