Subject: Hakka Rock Salt Chick 1/2

From: [email-masked] (Molly Lee)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 08:22:00 GMT

Hello everyone, I was told that it's okay to post my recipes here.  So
for all you folks, and especially Joanne, here's my recipes.  BTW,
Joanne, I tried to send my recipes to you via E-Mail, but it kept
bouncing back with unknown address or user unknown.  Hope you get this
one.

Everyone, enjoy!  If you have time, let me know how the chicken turned
out for you. :)

   *****************************************************************

Hakka Salt Chicken steamed.
---------------------------

Dipping sauce to be prepared after the chicken and rice is cooked.
--------------

About 3 or 4 scallions (depending on how many people, less scallions if
there are less people partaking in the meal)

1 to 2 teaspoon cooking oil (mom likes using pure virgin olive oil)

About 2 or 3 tablespoon Soy sauce and a pinch of salt.

Crush and dice up the scallions, put into a small plate.  Heat up the
oil until hot, pour over the scallions.  Pour the soy sauce and pinch of
salt over the hot oil-scallion mixture and mix with a fork.

Chicken
-------

1 whole chicken cleaned, leave skin on.

2 - 3 lbs Rock Salt

Put rock salt into a container, place raw chicken into the salt, make
sure it's all covered by the rock salt.  Leave overnight.

Next day, take out chicken, shake off all the rock salt pieces and then
rinse chicken in cold water.  One quick rinse under cold running water.
Now you may remove the skin if you want to.

Cut up some spring onions, place chicken into a large bowl and steam it.
When Chicken is almost done, put in the spring onions and steam until
chicken is cooked.  Usually takes about 1.5 hours, at least, I cook for
that long to make sure the chicken is fully cooked.  After the Chicken
is done, take out the bowl and put on a plate to cool before you cut it
up.  Take the juice from the steaming in the bowl and add it to rice, if
the juice isn't enough to cook the rice, add water.  When the rice is
cooked, serve the chicken over the rice, with dipping sauce on the side.
We usually garnish this with either fresh or slightly pickled cucumbers.
Sometimes, we eat it with pickled Chinese turnip or Chinese parsnips.

Another variation of this theme is to make soup out of the chicken.  We
usually put dried veggies into the soup.

   ******************************************************************

Hakka Rock Salt Chicken "Roasted?"
----------------------------------

Dipping sauce

A piece of ginger, about the size of your thumb or less.

1 teaspoon oil,

1 teaspoon chopped up or diced finely, green/spring onion,

1 pinch of salt.

1 whole chicken (do not remove skin)

2 to 3 lbs Rock Salt.

Dipping sauce
-------------

Puree the ginger, mix in the chopped up spring onion and pinch of salt.
Put in small plate.

Heat up the oil, pour over the crushed ginger-spring onion-pinch of salt
mixture.  Mix a little and serve.

Chicken
-------

Put rock salt into a huge pot or wok, heat it up slowly, do NOT burn the
salt. Low to medium low heat should do...

Wash the chicken, and pat dry.  Wrap chicken in some wax paper.  Make

(Continued to next message)
---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ Bugs Are Sons of Glitches!