Subject: Re: Recipes of 16th & 17th Century

From: [email-masked] (Louise Bailey)
Date: 10 May 1995 07:39:27 GMT

Try 

Eleanor Fettiplace's Receipt book by Hilary Spurling, 

published about 1988-89 by a descendant of the orignal author, it's
based on a houshold cookbook of an Elizabethan/Stuart lady of the
manor, very good on cooking and eating at this time.

I bought my original copy then in the US and I have since seen it in
paperback in the UK so you should still be able to get a copy. 

there is a book called "Food and Drink in Britain from the Stone Age
to 19th century" by C. Anne Wilson, which again is very good and has
recipes from all the eras it covers.

finally there is another book by Hannah Glasse I forget the title, but
U Virginia or somewhere does a facsilmile copy you may be able to get
>from  a library (via interlibrary loan probably) " The Frugal Gourmet
Cooks American", I think mentions this and may have a couple of
recipes if that's all you want.

hope this helps some

Lousie Bailey

---

From: NEFERTITI <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 May 95 01:36:43 -0500

Greetings Ilya from Ingeborg Synnove av Viken!
 
I'm sorry, I don't have a source for you.  I am searching the same information.
If you receive an answer, would you be kind enough to share same with me?
I appreciate your consideration and your help.  Good luck!
 
Ingeborg Synnove av Viken

---

From: Judy Gerjuoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 May 1995 09:10:05 -0400

There are many books with recipes from the 16th and 17th centuries.

Some have just the original recipes, some have modern redactions.

some of the more common ones include:

DINING WITH WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE by Madge Lorwin - orginal and redacted 
recipes.  Out of print, but quite good. More 16th than 17th, but a few 
17th century.

SALLETS, HUMBLES & SHREWSBERY CAKES by Ruth Anne Beebe also has orignal 
and redacted recipes.  In print (I think) and quite good.  Elizabethan.

PEPYS AT TABLE by Christopher Driver & Michelle Berriedale-Johnson.  
Modern and redacted recipes - 17th century.  Quite good.

TAKE A BUTTOCK OF BEEFE by Vereity Isitt.  The modern redctions are VERY 
VERY BAD, and a lot bear no resemblance to the original recipes.  I would 
highly recommend NOT using any of the redcted recipes.  It does have  the 
orignal (17th century) recipes, and if you can work with those, it could 
be a useful book.  It also has some nice pictures.

MARTHA WASHINGTON'S BOOKE OF COOKERY, edited by Karen Hess.  This is in 
print, I believe.  This book was owned, not written by Martha.  It is a 
17th century manuscript, - actually two books, one of cookery and one of 
sweetmeats.  It has a GREAT number of good recipes as well as a fair 
amount of general information about cooking of that time. Karen Hess is a 
well known foodie scholar who REALLY knows what she is talking about.  If 
you can work directly from period sources, I would highly recommend this 
book because of the wealth of different recipes it contains and for all 
the additional information in it.

The English Heritage did a series of seven pamphlets on historical 
cooking with the original recipes, modern redactions, and some (brief) 
information on the food of the time and cool pictures.

The 16th century one is called FOOD AND COOKING IN 16TH CENTURY BRITIAN.  
It is by Peter Brears.

The 17th century on is called the same only 17th century and is also by 
Peter Brears.

All listed above are English recipes.  For translated into English from 
other cultures I would recommend:

THE SENSIBLE COOK, translated and edited by Peter Rose.  This is 17th 
century Dutch cooking (in the new world).  It has only the original 
recipes, some general food information, and a few neat pictures.

SAVORING THE PAST by Barbara Ketcham Wheaton is an interesting book. It 
is about the French kitchen and table from 1300 to 1789.  It has a lot of 
good scholary information, and few recipes, with both the original and 
modern redactions (although the original ARE in French).

Finally, a mid 1600 translation into English of La Varrenne (French) is 
avaiable.  I don't know how good the translation was - it was done in the 
mid 1600's. On the other hand, since it was printed in England for 
English people to cook from, it is a genuine 17th century cookbook - at 
least for the English.  It has, obviously, only the original recipes.

Jaelle

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Allison)
Date: 14 May 1995 17:32:54 GMT

I recently purchased a trade paperback copy of Seven Centuries of English
Cooking by Falaise.
Carol Mitchell