Subject: Jewish Traditions

From: [email-masked] (John Ridley)
Date: 2 Apr 95 09:19:00 GMT

TO: [email-masked]

SHARON SAROFF said:

SS>I was brought up in a traditional jewish home.  The only traditional
SS>food  eaten on Friday night is Challah, a braided bread made w/ lots
SS>of eggs.   This is the traditional bread for Sabbath.  The other
SS>traditional food  (actually drink) is wine for making the Sabbath
SS>blessings.  In my parents  home Friday evening meals consist of fish
SS>or chop liver, chicken or  vegetable herb soup and some kind of meat
SS>or poultry.  There is a  traditional Saturday afternoon meal called
SS>Cholent.  This is basically a  "stick-to-the-ribs" thick stew made of
SS>potatoes, meat, and some kind of  grain.  I have seen recipes using
SS>lots of beans and barley, some using  rice and some using wheat.

SS>Passover is the jewish celebration of freedom.  

Umm, I always thought that Passover was a celebration of "pass-
over"...when Yahweh passed over the houses of the Jews as He was smiting 
the firstborn of Egypt.  In order to save their firstborn (boys, natch, 
this *is* the Old Testament), the Jewish families smeared the blood of a 
lamb over their door lintels, and Yahweh passed over their houses.  
Given this premise, I would assume that some sort of lamb dish was also 
served (not gonna waste that good meat).  (For those who aren't aware of 
the story, smiting the firstborn was one of the seven plagues that 
Yahweh visited upon the Egyptians in order to make Pharaoh release the 
Jews from captivity)...this plague worked, and the Jews left Egypt 
almost immediately after Passover, hence the rich foods (cleaning out 
the larder), and the travel bread (matzo--flour and water, if I 
remember).  

Could be wrong, though, it's been a while since Sunday school.

jenn

---
John & Jenni Ridley
[email-masked]
Wagner's music is better than it sounds - Twain

---

From: [email-masked] (naomi pardue)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 20:38:07 GMT

> the firstborn of Egypt.  In order to save their firstborn (boys, natch, 

Well, yes, but this was followed by the Pharoh's freeing of the Jewish
slaves. What we celebrate of Passover is leaving Egypt.

Naomi

---

From: [email-masked] (naomi pardue)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 20:49:19 GMT

Emma Sottardi ([email-masked]) wrote:

Most of the others have covered these pretty well, but let me add
acomment or two.
> can anyone enlighten me on the food traditions (without sounding stupid ~ 
> let me clarify...)

> isn't there a traditional meal eaten on fridays?

The main thing about the Friday night meal (besides the Challah and
wine) is that it should be special.  If a family could afford good food
only once a week, it would be eaten on Friday night. I've also read that
fish is traditionally eaten in some families. 

Another poster mentioned Cholent as being tradtional on Saturday
(Sabbath.) What he didn't mention was that Cholent was often served then
because it was designed to cook VERY slowly in  a warm oven. So it could
be started Friday afternoon, the fire banked, and it would cook until
noon on Saturday.

> what is the purpose of passover?  what are the food restrictions?

As noted, Passover is the festival of freedom.  Along with the special
foods that other posters noted, there are foods that cannot be eaten.
Basically no grains (wheat, corn, barley, etc. - though some cultural
groups eat rice and some don't), no legumes (dry beans, fresh peas -
though green beans are ok). No yeast or baking powder.  If you want to
lighten baked goods (which are made with matzoh meal - finely ground
matzoh) you can use beaten egg whites.

Since much prepared and packaged food contains forbidden food products,
or is prepared in the same factory, during Passover observent Jews rely
on specially prepared "Kosher for Passover" products. (And fresh fruits
and vegetables and meats and eggs and milk and....)

 > what are the uses of matzoh?

Matzoh is used ceremonially during the Passover seder (ritual meal).  It
is also eaten the rest of the week in plce of bread. (And the rest of
the year becuase it's good.)  By the way, I second the poster's
suggestion that you should try Matzoh brei. (That's the only other
recipe for it i've seen that matches the one I make.  Most people
consider Matzoh brie to be a pancake type of dish.) I don't remember if
the recipe mentioned it, but you will want to add a fair amount of salt.
Matzoh contains none, and while it's fine to eat plain, I find it very
insipid when cooked. 

Naomi

---

From: [email-masked] (naomi pardue)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 20:50:57 GMT

Bryan J. Maloney ([email-masked]) wrote:

> It isn't "history", but it is related to the topic of the thread:

> How popular are crock-pots/slow cookers in strictly Kosher homes?  I would
> think that the ability to begin to cook something early Friday afternoon and
> have a hot casserole or soup or roast available all Saturday would be pretty
> nice.  If I recall, it's okay to start a "fire" in the Talmudic sense, on
> Friday before sundown and keep using it throughout Sabbath, yes?

I don't know how popular crock-pots are, but the reasoning you give is
correct. (And as Inoted in my other post, Cholent was served on Shabbat
because it could cook slowly all Friday night.)

Naomi

---

From: Judy Gerjuoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 19:29:28 -0400

One major point has been left out in all the discussion of tradtional 
Jewish foods.  What has been mentioned is Askenazic (European) Jewish 
traditions, not Sephardic (Arabic) Jewish traditions.  

There are major differences in the food traditions - Sephardim for 
instances use rice at Passover time - something the Askenazic do not.

Cholent - the Saturday Sabbath "stew" is strictly Askenazic.

Crockpots are used to some degree in orthodox homes - although they are 
usually too small to be of much use.

Remember, orthodox Jews tend to large families - I have been to Shabboth 
dinners with 30 people attending - and that was a "small" dinner.

In either tradition, the most important part is that the Sabbath is 
supposed to be the gem of the week - the most important part.  Therefore, 
you save your best for it.  

Your best dishes, your best food.  Additionally, there are severe 
restrictions as to what can and cannot be done on the Sabbath.  There are 
39 things you can't do - it is usually translated as "work", but I 
translate as changing the state of the universe.  For instance, you can't 
start a fire (changing wood to ash).  You can't finish a weaving project 
- changing thread to cloth, etc.

However, a light that is turned on before Sabbath stays on - and can be 
used to, for instance, read by.

If the family has the money, the food can be very elaborate.  But even 
without a lot of money, dinner can be very good.

Typical Ashenazic Friday night might be: fish, soup, chicken, etc.

Saturday Lunchtime might be cholent and a kugel (potatoe or noodle 
pudding).  The last meal of the day of Saturday is typically light - 
maybe tuna of something easy to prepare.

If anyone has any more questions, feel free to contact me.  I lived the 
life of an orthodox Jew for many years, so I understand it.

Jaelle