Subject: Re: Malt!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 95 14:42:15 EDT

In article <[email-masked]>,
 on Mon, 3 Apr 1995 18:17:02,
 Guest <[email-masked]> writes:
>I am interested in malt for a sweetener, not to brew anything with, but it
>seems likely that home brewers will know a lot about it. Is it hard to make
>malt at home? Has it historically been used just as a sweetener, or is this
>use a recent "health food" idea? I would think there would be a risk of mold
>and other contamination of the grain you are trying to sprout. How is this
>avoided? Are there modern techniques that are better than the traditional
>methods? Where can I get info about making malt at home?
>

It would be _much_ easier to track down a homebrew supply shop in your
area and purchase your malt there. You are probably looking for malt
*extract* not the grains themselves (this would avoid you having to do
a mash). The owner of my local brewshop said he has a few "old Brittish
ladies" come in for malt extracts; they use it in cooking and to sweeten
their tea and cookies!

Good luck and enjoy!
Craig
InterNet: [email-masked]
IBMIPNet: [email-masked]      CompuServe ID: 72401,3673
IBMMAIL: USIB4CJJ     (opinions are mine and don't mean a damn thing)