Subject: Gravlox

From: [email-masked] (Alberto Melis)
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 01:18:46 GMT

I am not sure of the spelling,  so forgive me if I have mangled it.
We have been lokking for a recipe for gravlox,  a danish/nordic dish
where half a salmon is cured and served covered with dill.

Any help would be very muich appreciated.

Carol and Alberto Melis

---

From: [email-masked] (Ray Goddard)
Date: 14 May 1995 01:50:24 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>Gravlaks(Norway)- buried or grave fish, for a modern version:-
Take a 6-7 lb salmon,1 tablespoon brandy,3/4 oz sugar,1 1/2 oz salt, 
pepper,fresh dill.
Clean and wipe out fish (do not wash), fillet, sprinkle with brandy.
Mix sugar, salt and pepper and sprinkle over fish. Put one fillet skin
down on plate, chop dill and spread it over, place other fillet on top 
skin side up. Cover with foil and place board on top and a weight (1lb)
on top of that. Put in cool place 3 - 4 degrees C. Turn fillets twice a 
day and pour liquid back onto fillets.Remove weights after two days.
Ready in three to four days. Serve cut in thin slices with more pepper 
and chopped dill, accompany with rye bread and butter.     
For more see Elizabeth Luard. European Peasant Cookery. Corgi, London.
Regards - Ray Goddard. Lucky red socks!!!.