Subject: History of, and Original Recipe for, Lox.

From: [email-masked] (Oscar Falconi)
Date: 13 May 1995 12:42:04 GMT

I'd like to locate the history of lox and its original recipe - or to
be directed to sources for same.

Thanks kindly. Oscar Falconi  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Lynn Berkowitz)
Date: 14 May 1995 02:50:14 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Oscar Falconi)
>Thanks kindly. Oscar Falconi  [email-masked]

I dunno. Try soc.culture.norweigen. (is there such a newsgroup?)

Lynn

---

From: [email-masked] (Leah Zeldes Smith)
Date: Mon, 15 May 95 01:52:08 GMT

Lox comes from the German word "lachs," which means salmon, and came
here with German-Jewish immigrants.  Note that true lox is not smoked,
merely brined, although the smoked salmon called Nova is often
incorrectly referred to as lox.  The name Nova comes from Nova Scotia,
which is where that type of cold-smoked salmon first came from.
Old-fashioned Jewish lox is saltier and oilier than Nova.

Here's a recipe:

From: "brian k. cortez" <[email-masked]>

 Sorry about the last message, I sent it from a little PC-XT my roomate and 
I just configured and stuck onto our apartment network.  Seems the little 
thing still has a few bugs in it, but hey, I think connecting a little XT 
to the Internet breathes new life into it.  But, I digress.....

 Here is the recipe you were supposed to get.  It comes from a Jewish 
friend of mine in Long Island taken from her grandmother's (Isabella 
Bouer) recipe.  

1 - qty of VERY fresh, VERY fatty (with whole skin) salmon
1 - large earthenware crock (or wooden keg)
Kosher Salts (or rock salt)
Qty of clear flavorless oil comparable to the qty of salmon

- Skin the salmon keeping the skin as whole as possible.  
- Cut the salmon meat into thin slices.

- Within the crock, (or keg), lay down a layer of salt to cover evenly.  
- Place one side of the salmon skin scale side up flat onto the salt layer.
- Drizzle the oil lightly over the skin until shiny.
- Lay one salmon slice atop the oiled skin.
- Drissle the oil lightly over the salmon slice until shiny.
- Layer the salts thinly atop the salmon slice to cover.
- Repeat the layers as above alternating salt, salmon, oil for all remaining 
      slices.
- Before adding the final layer of salts, lay the other side of the skin 
      scale side up atop the oiled salmon.
- Drissle with oil until shiny.
- Layer salts atop the final layer of skin to cover.
- Cover entire crock (or keg) with multiple layers (3-4) of plastic wrap
- Weigh down the top of the sealed crock (or keg) with heavy stones.
- Store in a cool place 2 weeks prior to usage.
- Eat when ready!~

NOTE: This will keep almost indefinitely, however, refrigeration is 
       recommended.

NOTE: For some additional flavor, smoking is optional.

 Also, she wishes to ask you to please enjoy this, her grandmother would 
want it that way... I hope this helps you out.  Let me know via email 
if this was what you were looking for (besides, Lori wants to know how 
it came out)

--
Leah Smith                                      [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (naomi pardue)
Date: 19 May 1995 02:16:18 GMT

> Thanks kindly. Oscar Falconi  [email-masked]

I can provide 2 recipes for cured salmon, both courtesy of "The Old
World Kitchen." Which one comes closest to Nova Lox, I can't say.

CURED SALMON (Gravlacks  - from Norway)

6-7 lb. whole salmon
1 1/2 oz. rock salt
3/4 oz. sugar
Pepper
1 bunch fresh dill

Carefully clean and bone fish. Do not wash fish, but wipe well. Leave
skin on. You will have 2 half fishes when done.
Mix salt, sugar and pepper to taste.  Scatter over  the fish. Lay dill
over one half and cover with the other half. (You'll have a "sandwich";
dill in the middle, skin on the outside.)
Place on china plate. Cover with foil and put a one pound weight on top.
(Book suggests a board with a heavy can on it.)

Leave in a cool place (38-40 degrees F).  Turn fish twice daily, pouring
pressed out liquid back between the fillets.  After 2 days remove weights.

Gravlacks will be ready in 3-4 days. Serve sliced thin with more pepper
and dill. (Or bagels and cream cheese!) :-)

BRINED SALMON (Lemrimmad Lax - from Sweden)

1 salmon (or thick pieces)
2 oz. kosher salt
2 c. water per pound of fish.

Clean and fillet fish as in earlier recipe. Dissolve salt in boiling
water. Allow brine to cool. Put fish in china bowl and pour brine over.
Leave in cool pace for 2 days. Drain and dry fish and serve as above.

Try 'em both! Even if you don't end up with lox, you'll still end up
with something good.

Naomi