Subject: Re: Medieval European food

From: [email-masked] (LDulin)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 12:28:41 -0400

Get a copy of Food, by Waverly Root (out of print). It's a great place to
start, as it is a dictionary of all food ingredients, with their
histories. Root's scholarship is great, and he is quite opinionated too.
Happy hunting.
Leslie/Lijsbeth

---

From: [email-masked] (Mary Shafer)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 16:25:06 GMT

On 5 Apr 1995 12:28:41 -0400, [email-masked] (LDulin) said:

L> Get a copy of Food, by Waverly Root (out of print). It's a great
L> place to start, as it is a dictionary of all food ingredients,
L> with their histories.  Root's scholarship is great, and he is
L> quite opinionated too.

It's not quite as complete as you say.  I would describe it as a
dictionary of _many_ food ingredients or all _common_ ingredients, but
not as a dictionary of all food ingredients.

It doesn't have jicama or yuca or curry leaves, for example; it's very
European and East Coast oriented.  It also needs a better index; it
came out before computer indexing was available and the lack shows.

Despite these limitations, it's an excellent book and I'm very fond of
it. 
--
Mary Shafer                                             DoD #362 KotFR   
SR-71 Chief Engineer   NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA
[email-masked]          Of course I don't speak for NASA
URL http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/People/Shafer/mary.html