Subject: Re: Is Junket becoming a historic food

From: [email-masked] (Harry Dodsworth)
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 03:23:53 GMT

Marjorie Rosen asked for the recipe for 'Rodgrod'.

 Rodgrod med Flode (Rødgrød med Fløde with Danish accents -
Red Pudding with cream) is a very popular Danish dessert.
This recipe is from 88 Danish Recipes by Hetna Dedichen,
Høst and Son, Copenhagen 1951

  'Rodgrod' is made from three kinds of fruit. The best mixture
is made up of equal parts of redcurrants, raspberries and cherries.
The berries are boiled with water till all the juice has come out.
Then they are pressed through a fine sieve or a cloth, and the
juice is put back into the saucepan. When hot it is sweetened.
Add a split stick of vanilla and some cut almonds. The juice is
thickened with potato flour and sago flour, half of each. To each
quart of juice take 2 ounces of flour. Put into a glass basin
while hot. Sprinkle with sugar to prevent the formation of skin.
Serve cold with rich cream.

  Most Danish cookbooks have a recipe for 'Rodgrod'; I chose this
one because it seemed simpler - perhaps because detailed quantities
are omitted!
  The mix of fruits may vary; different flours may be used for
thickening and many recipes have sliced almonds on the top
whereas this recipe incorporates them.