Subject: Re: Book Queries

From: Judy Gerjuoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 13:25:07 -0400

I have a copy of POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCES.  She has some historical 
information, but not much, and her modern redactions are NOT reliable - 
they are full of non-period ingrediants.  Now, the recipes look tasty - 
but not right.

The books is supposed to be about the devlopement of Sicilian cooking for 
the last 25 centuries, but it really is not.

If you are looking for something specific let me know and I will see if I 
can help you.  If you are looking to research I would not recommend this 
book for the recipes, a brief skim of the historical information shows 
nothing that catches my eye as being wrong -but there is not a lot of 
historical information in the book.

I know of nothing in English on German Renaissance cooking.  The closet I 
have, which is NOT very close is a translation of a Dutch new world 
cookbook from 1683.  It is called THE SENSIBLE COOK and deals with food 
and foodways.  While it is a new world cookbook, it has virtually no new 
world ingrediants - and was in fact written in Holland.  Some of the 
recipes were taken from a 1589 Dutch cookbook, although they are not marked.

It does contain some great pictures, and some good general info on 
food/foodways of the time - I find it a useful book.

There may, or course, be better sources - just because I don't know of 
them does NOT mean that they are not there.  If you want more information 
on this book, feel free to drop me a line.  And, if you find out about 
anything in English, let me know.

I hope that this helps you - if there is anything I can do, let me know.

Jaelle

---

From: [email-masked] (Arthur S. Pruyn)
Date: Sat, 20 May 1995 21:15:05 -0700

Hi!  I am looking for information on two books- one a specific and one
a general request.  Also, as I am new to this format, if there is a better
way to do this, would someone please let me know.
   I recently read a reference to a book "Pomp and Sustenance" by Mary
Taylor Simeti (Knopf, 1989).  I was wondering what the scope of this book
was.  The specific reference was to the development of Sicilian marzipan. 
Is this book about italian historical cooking, european, or general
folklore, etc.
   I am also looking for recommendations for books that discuss german
renaissance food and cooking.  I can find information on english, french
and italian food but nothing on germanic food.  I can read a little german
but I would prefere the books to be in english.

Thanks for your time,
Elizabeth Pruyn

---

From: [email-masked] (M Zoe Holbrooks)
Date: 22 May 1995 06:48:02 GMT

Hi, 

There is German stuff aplenty, but it's in German and mostly not in U.S.
collections although there are notable exceptions.  Cariadoc's collection
contains a translation of Das Buch der Guter Spise.  There are facsimiles
of 13th-16th century German cookery books both in the U.S. and overseas. 
A bibliography of useful books is being compiled and will eventually be
distributed to anyone interested.  Please e-mail privately and I'll put
your name on the distribution list.

:)

Zoe/Asahla

---

From: [email-masked] (Alia Atlas)
Date: 22 May 1995 15:35:50 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked]  
(Arthur S. Pruyn) writes:
> and italian food but nothing on germanic food.  I can read a little 
> german but I would prefere the books to be in english.
> 
> Thanks for your time,
> Elizabeth Pruyn

There is very little on German Renaissance food in English.  I have  
translated _Das Buch von Guter Speise_  
(http://www.mit.edu:8001//people/akatlas/Buch/buch.html), which is from  
the 1340s.  

I am also working on translating _Von Speisen, nat"urlichen und kreuter  
Wein_.  I have some preliminary (much emphasis thereon.  These are just  
very rough translations) of some recipes from that.  You can find it from  
(http://www.mit.edu:8001//people/akatlas/workroom.html).  I am also  
working a little on _Das Kochbuch Meister Eberhards_ and have a few  
recipes from there.

I hope this will be of some help.  If there is something specific which  
you are looking for, do let me know.

Alia Atlas
[email-masked]