Subject: Re: Is Junket becoming a historic food?

From: [email-masked] (Sue M. Ford)
Date: 13 May 1995 13:33:49 -0400

[email-masked] (Kia Mennie) wrote:

>A while back in this junket discussion, somebody 
>claimed that Junket was  not particularly different 
>from Jell-o made with milk. Might those more  familiar 
>with Junket than myself tell me if this is true?

      There are some superficial similarities between Junket 
custard and a milk Jello.  However the rennet custard is more 
similar to a very tender baked egg custard.  It is a big clot; 
it weeps (syneresis) when cut as the structure of the clot is 
disturbed.  Jello desserts are based on adding some sort of 
liquid to the protein and the gel structure formed is made of 
the gelatin.  The rennet desserts use *only* that protein in 
the milk, which is acted on by the enzyme in the rennet.  So 
the mixture has less protein than the jello and is less firm 
when gelled.

    The jello/milk dish is closer to an agar/milk dessert than 
to a rennet custard.

Sue
Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself.