Subject: Re: I like very hot chillies

From: [email-masked] (Alberto Melis)
Date: Sun, 14 May 1995 14:41:08 GMT

[email-masked] (Brian Dodgson) wrote:

>I like very hot chillies.  Currently I am growing Cayenne and Jalapeno
>chillies, and would like to grow "Habanero" and "Bird's Eye" chillies.
>Through the vast reach of the Internet, I would like to contact people
>with a similar interest in chillies.

>I know that I am not alone, because I just bought a book called "HOT:
>The Book for Hot Food Freaks who are Just Crazy About Chili" that
>introduces a variety of chillies (from "Pablano", "Anaheim" through to
>"Bird's Eye" and "Habanero") and hot recipes.

>Inside the book was a leaflet for a free copy of a newsletter called
>"The Chilli Newsletter".  I sent this off and I am eagerly awaiting
>the newsletter.

>I am looking for contacts where I can buy chilli seeds , seedlings  or
>fresh chillies so that I might grow my own (for personal use only, not
>commercial).  If you can help me with this, or would like to talk
>about chillies, please contact me.

First,  try teh following Web site:

http://chile.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu:8000/www/chile.html

Which is for Chile Heads at University of California,  Davis,  then
you can also subscribe to an excellent mailing list there too,
by sending EMail with SUBSCRIBE CHILE-HEADS Your Name to:
	  ([email-masked] ) :
is you prefer it in a digest format try:
SUBSCRIBE CHILE-HEADS-DIGEST Your Name

You will learn more about chile peppers than you thought possible.

Carol and Alberto

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 14 May 1995 19:30:11 -0500

I read about the "Habanero" in Reader's Digest a couple of years back. The 
author said he had an out of body experience when he bit into one of these.
 
Have fun. :)
-- 
    /\___/\  Peace.
   (  o o  ) 
  ===  v  === 
     )---(  [email-masked]			|email for pgp key

---

From: [email-masked] (steve hix)
Date: 15 May 1995 18:52:08 GMT

> author said he had an out of body experience when he bit into one of these.

That must be why my son eats them. He's 12. Barely.

Takes most of an afternoon to do it, but there's nothing left but a stem.

And a flushed, smiling face.

---

From: [email-masked] (BASEL, LESLIE)
Date: 14 May 1995 17:56 MST

In article <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] (Brian Dodgson) writes...

>about chillies, please contact me.

In case I'm not the billionth person to post this, you might
want to subscribe to the chile-heads mailing list.  You should
be able to find the exact address of the mailing list in a
newsgroup/mailing list search.

Enjoy yourself, the traffic on the mailing list runs about 25-30
posts/day--you are surely not alone!

Leslie
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (steve hix)
Date: 15 May 1995 22:17:19 GMT

In article [email-masked], [email-masked] (Information Services) writes:
> 
> Interestingly enough, the heat level is not the only thing which varies 
> between different chiles.  The way the heat affects you, sometimes 
> referred to (appropriately enough) as the "attack", also varies.  
> Habaneros, though the hottest of all known chiles, have a relatively 
> short attack.  Upon taking a bite, you're immediately assaulted by a 
> vicious burst of hell-fire; which typically hurls the righteous on their 
> knees seeking deliverance, and the unrighteous on their knees seeking 
> repentance.  All prayers are swiftly answered, however, as the heat 
> quickly subsides. 

Which may explain the subsequent return to the supply of chillies...
by righteous and others.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 May 1995 22:28:54 GMT

>about chillies, please contact me.

Are you aware that there is a monthly magazine called CHILI PEPPER (I think 
that is the name)? Try contacting [email-masked].
+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.
M. Lee Murrah                    [email-masked]
10 Cottage Grove Woods, SE       [email-masked]
Cedar Rapids, IA 52403           [email-masked]
319-365-6530
+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 May 1995 01:55:46 GMT

In <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Brian Dodgson) writes:
>Thanks.

I like chilli's in chilli. If anyone knows of any good recipies, I'd
love to hear them. ALso, where can I get a hold of the Chilli newsletter?
Thanks
Dom Vitarella

---

From: [email-masked] (Pop)
Date: Sun, 14 May 1995 21:29:26 -0700

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Brian
Dodgson) wrote:

> I like very hot chillies.  (snip, snip)

> about chillies, please contact me.

The WWW Chile Heads Home Page is for you!

-- 
RuePop
([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Narad)
Date: 16 May 1995 16:55:52 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes:
> In article <[email-masked]>,
> Chuck Narad <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> >habaneros are undescribable; the endorphin rush can last for
> >days (as can the side effects :-)
> >
> 
> A slight exaggeration; the physiological effects diminish within 
> minutes (with the exception, of course, of the "morning after" effect to 
> which you also allude).  Let's not scare off potential chile-heads with 
> wild stories.  :)

scare them off?  true chile-heads are *attracted* by the 
potential heat :-)

besides, I bet you never tried habaneros *with the seeds*...yee hah!

> repentance.  All prayers are swiftly answered, however, as the heat 

I once talked a cook in the yucutan into making me habanero
salsa; with a brief prayer and a look heavenward, he sent the
kids down to the market for some fresh ones.  then he stemmed and
seeded the chiles, minced one thin slice of onion, 2 springs
of cilantro, and added about a teaspoon of white vinegar (this is with
about 6 habaneros).

That's the day I went bald :-)

> Other chiles, though milder (a relative statement, to 
> be sure), have a much longer attack; even though they don't maul you as 
> savagely as the habanero the torture goes on and on and on, and it seems 
> as if no amount of ice-cold (insert beverage of choice) will quench the fire.
> But you may rest assured that even with the latter type of chile you'll 
> still fully recover in a short time; all good things must come to an end.

plain rice or bread, or something with milkfat in it, is much
more effective at quenching the attack (after you have seen
through time, of course :-); beer doesn't seem to cut the oils
well.  of course, if it is prepared correctly, you'll be needing
to replace a lot of fluids that you've sweated out...

cheers,
chuck/
200,000 on the Scoville scale, and counting.

-----------------------------------------------------------
| Chuck Narad -- diver/adventurer/engineer                |
|                                                         |
|   "The universe is full of magical things, patiently    |
|   waiting for our wits to grow sharper."                |
|                                                         |
|                   -- Eden Phillpotts                    |
|                                                         |
-----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Charlie Sorsby)
Date: 16 May 1995 19:39:29 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Information Services <[email-masked]> wrote:
= 
= quickly subsides.  Other chiles, though milder (a relative statement, to 
= be sure), have a much longer attack; even though they don't maul you as 
= savagely as the habanero the torture goes on and on and on, and it seems 
= as if no amount of ice-cold (insert beverage of choice) will quench the fire.

Have you tried milk?  Personally, I've found that milk or bread, or
a breadlike food (e.g. flour tortilla) or sweet or sweet & breadlike
(e.g. a sopaipilla--which a recently acquired cook book claims is
not a sopaipilla--with honey) are the best things to moderate the
burn...  beer, water, iced water, etc. seem, to me (as you describe),
more or less useless.

= But you may rest assured that even with the latter type of chile you'll 
= still fully recover in a short time; all good things must come to an end.

-- 
Best,

Charlie "Older than dirt" Sorsby				"I'm the NRA!"
	  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (I. Waletzki)
Date: 16 May 1995 16:05:47 GMT

Try http://chile.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu:8000/www/chile.html - it is the 
chile-heads home page. Has lots of info re magazines (such as Chile 
Pepper), mail/internet order sources, RECIPES (ay caramba!!!) and other 
general info re: chiles.

Bye! irina.

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Maddex)
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 00:19:09 GMT

>> >days (as can the side effects :-)

Personally, the worst experience I ever had came from wolfing down
a whole one in about two bites.  You know, one of the nice, small,
irridencent orange ones w/the awesome apricot flavor...Shit.  What
a mistake.  The rush only lasted about half an hour, though.

>scare them off?  true chile-heads are *attracted* by the 

Uh, I don't wanna sound like a wimp, but I like chiles for the *flavor*.
No, that's not like reading Playboy for the articles--have you ever 
practiced moderationa and added just a bit of habanero to a mango salsa
or an uncooked tomato sauce (either of which kicks ass over grilled
portabellos).

Anyway, as I was saying, I usta be into the macho burn thing, but I've
got much more into subtlety in the last couple yrs (heh, check out black
beanl chili w/six chiles before you call me a wimp, though).  I kinda
go for the Mark Miller approach...

BTW, did you know that the best restaurant in the US (IMHO), one w/serious
French styled food, uses a lot of habanero oil?  Goes great w/those
sweet potato ravioli....

>That's the day I went bald :-)

Thanks, but if I can go eight yrs w/o a haircut (next month;-), I don't
wanna blow it all out my sinuses:-)

back to the newsletter,

Billy Magic

---

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Narad)
Date: 15 May 1995 17:58:17 GMT

you might want to pick up a copy of Chile Pepper Magazine.

you can find seeds in the Seeds Of Change catalogue (any good
nursery should at least have their address), that is an
organization that helps propogate "legacy" (as opposed
to hybrid) seeds; or, if you can buy whole dried habaneros
you can just take the seeds from those; try a mexican grocery.

wear gloves when handling these beasts!

cheers,
chuck/

---

From: [email-masked] (Information Services)
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 20:28:00 GMT

quickly subsides.  Other chiles, though milder (a relative statement, to 

Richard Strayer
-- 
KPMG Peat Marwick                     |                  Los Angeles
Information Services                  |                  California, U.S.A.

---

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Narad)
Date: 17 May 1995 16:21:50 GMT

> or an uncooked tomato sauce (either of which kicks ass over grilled

sounds great!  I've been contemplating doing something with habaneros
and coconut milk, since I love the way chiles and coconut milk
work together, but so far I'm still stuck at traditional thai...
something should evolve soon, though.

cheers,
chuck/

---

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Narad)
Date: 17 May 1995 16:22:58 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes:
> : Some of the hottest habaneros are "Red Savina" Habanero. They are rated 
> : at 326,000 Scoville Units. You can order seeds from the Mo Hotta, Mo Betta 
> 
> A Red Savina hab has recently been measured at 577,000 Scoville Units,
> according to _Chile Pepper_ magazine...

do you need a special permit to store or cook those?  :-)

c/

---

From: [email-masked] (Marc Staveley)
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 16:05:21 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Barry Shein <[email-masked]> wrote:
 > 
 > From: [email-masked] (Chuck Narad)
 > Try salting your tongue, just grab the salt shaker. I suspect the
 > effect is more that this blocks it than "cures" it but people I've
 > been with who were obviously in great pain (or what they shallowly
 > call "pain") have generally been pleasantly shocked when I suggested
 > this, seems to relieve it instantly.
 > 

Sugar also works well at blocking the 'heat' and is much less 
shocking than salt.  Just grap a teaspeoon full.

   ...marc

  _______________
  Marc Staveley                    [email-masked]
  Marc Staveley Consulting
  P.O Box 261
  Buckhorn, Ontario                (705) 657-3617 [voice]
  K0L 1J0  Canada                  (705) 657-2270 [fax]

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry Shein)
Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 18:21:10 GMT

It's also a good bar trick, if you get into a hot pepper dare make
sure you have some salty chips or pretzels to wash them down with
(this suggested to those who already have a reasonable tolerance, I
wouldn't suggest a milquetoast put absolute faith in this.)

-- 
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email-masked]          | uunet!world!bzs
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 617-739-0202        | Login: 617-739-WRLD

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan Tessler)
Date: 16 May 1995 15:57:07 -0400

Hi, 
 
I too like HOT Chiles and do have a contact...but you'll have to wait a few
days while I dig up his name and address. Met thru Compuserve. He's a
nurseryman in Ohio and had sent me seeds which I've yet to plant (NYC, not
much of a crop-mentality here!<gg>). 
 
Don't forget to order your Hatch, New Mexican Chiles at the peak of the
harvest, Late August.  I use a place in Bernallillo, NM called Velarde's
Chile Products...Tell em "Jonathan Tessler from Elle Magazine" sent you! 
 
take care! 
 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Information Services)
Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 21:15:56 GMT

>scare them off?  true chile-heads are *attracted* by the 

Good point; but some need to build up to it slowly.  I'm breaking my wife 
in gradually, climbing the Scoville scale in small increments with each 
chile-laden dish I prepare for her.  She's building a tolerance to hotter 
and hotter delights, and actually beginning to crave the burn; but if I 
had forced the habaneros on her right from the beginning, she would have 
feared instead of desired hot food.

>besides, I bet you never tried habaneros *with the seeds*...yee hah!

You lose.  Also, as you should know, it's not the seeds which contain the 
highest concentration of capsaicin oil, it's the placental tissue (the 
"ribs" in chile peppers, to which the seeds are attached).  The seeds are 
hot because of their close proximity to the placental ridges; however 
they do not produce the oil themselves, the placenta does.  If you truly 
want to tame a chile pepper's heat you must remove both; contrary to popular 
belief, removing the seeds alone will not significantly diminish a 
chiles's bite.

>of cilantro, and added about a teaspoon of white vinegar (this is with

Drool!  There are a number of companies that are now producing 
habanero-based salsas commerically, which can be ordered through the 
mail.  Sources for these delights are frequently discussed on the 
chile-heads mail list; you should join if you're not a member already 
(you have nothing to lose, since it sounds as if you've already had the 
hair blasted off your head).

>to replace a lot of fluids that you've sweated out...

True; rice and bread (or any other bland, starchy accompaniment) does help
alieviate some of the burn, and more importantly will significantly reduce 
the "morning after" effect.  Dairy products are also good at cutting the 
heat; a glass of milk or any yogurt dish (such as a raita) is a good 
solution.  But I disagree with you on the efficaciousness of an ice-cold 
beer.  Capsaicin oil is alcohol-soluable, and beer is ideal for washing 
it out of your mouth.  Most every cookbook I own which is specific to 
cooking with chiles recommends cold beer as the beverage of choice when 
eating a chile-laden meal.  But, to each his/her own; personally, I 
prefer a tall, cool glass of mango lassi myself.

Keep the flame!

RES

---

From: [email-masked] (Pravin [prah-veen] Kumar)
Date: 16 May 1995 18:59:15 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
says...
[ stuff deleted ]

>about chillies, please contact me.

Some of the hottest habaneros are "Red Savina" Habanero. They are rated 
at 326,000 Scoville Units. You can order seeds from the Mo Hotta, Mo Betta 
catalog. Their number is 800.462.3220. If you are very impatient and want 
to get the seeds *NOW*, the item number in their catalog for the seeds is 
H1342.

Enjoy.

-- 
Pravin [prah-VEEN] Kumar
[email-masked]
PGP 2.6 public key available

---

From: Mary f <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 May 1995 19:14:56 GMT

Okay you chilie heads you should check out HOT HOT HOT web page:

 htpp://www.hot.presence.com/g/p/H3//

I don't work for them or anything, they just have a neat page and
lots of hot stuff!!!

mary f.

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick)
Date: 16 May 1995 19:51:01 GMT

Rick

---

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Narad)
Date: 17 May 1995 16:06:12 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes:
>  Most every cookbook I own which is specific to 

mmmmmm...habaneros and mango lassi, together at last!  I'm,
there, I'm there!

chuck/

---

From: "curt carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 95 8:29:15 PDT

>= still fully recover in a short time; all good things must come to an end.

Bread or rice is good - but don't do what I did once at a local Sri Lankan
curry joint - the "bread" at hand was poppadums, so I ate a couple to quench
the curry-fire, only to discover that they were hot too!

I've heard that bananas are the most effective "antidote".  

Curt

Curt Carlson
[email-masked]
Perseverance furthers.
I Ching

---

From: Pranab Kumar Nag <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 May 1995 20:31:26 GMT

This may sound funny but salted yoghurt can cool the heat
pretty quickly. I keep it in the mouth for a while. 

Pranab

---

From: Pranab Kumar Nag <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 May 1995 20:31:45 GMT

Pranab

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 16:54:43 GMT

I haven't been following the thread on hot chili peppers, but thought I would 
interject a weird bit of etymological trivia in case anyone hasn't mentioned 
it.

I am sure that this thread has deal with jalapeno peppers, the nasty hot ones 
that come from the Mexican state of Jalapa.  People or things from Jalapa are 
named "jalapenos" hence the label on the peppers.

Back in the pre-WW2 days it was common for automobile wholesalers to buy old 
and worn-out cars, especially taxis, and ship them to Mexico for resale.  
Jalapa was a major destination for these miserable vehicles, and they were 
tagged with "Jalapa" on their shipping documents.  This inevitably led to such 
a car being called a "jalapa" and by corruption, into English, a "jalopy" 
which term we still use today.

A food name transmuted to name another everday object!

The Elitist

---

From: [email-masked] (bill griffith)
Date: 17 May 1995 02:50:09 GMT

There are many chili-heads around. There is Chile Pepper magazine (P.O. 
Box 15308, North Hollywood, CA, 91615-5308  subscriber service 
800.959.5468) and the chili-heads mailing list and the chili-heads home 
page on the WWW (see my list posted a few days ago for the details. If 
you missed the posting, email me and I will send you a copy.

bil

...snip...

---

From: [email-masked] (Evelyne Stalzer)
Date: Sat, 20 May 1995 09:20:00 -0500

References: <[email-masked]> 

IS> I prefer a tall, cool glass of mango lassi myself.

Some time back I was introduced to a yoghurt drink called /lassee/.
It involved plain yoghurt, rosewater, and light sweetening with honey
or sugar.  Could it be related to the mango lassi you mention?

Evelyne Stalzer
[email-masked]

 * RM 1.3 01313 * Would you like some barbecue sauce with that hard drive?

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Vasen)
Date: 21 May 1995 02:03:51 GMT

I. Waletzki ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Try http://chile.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu:8000/www/chile.html - it is the 
: chile-heads home page. Has lots of info re magazines (such as Chile 
: Pepper), mail/internet order sources, RECIPES (ay caramba!!!) and other 
: general info re: chiles.

: Bye! irina.

Habenero peppers, hottest peppers I've ever tried.
Dan

---

From: David Powner <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 May 1995 12:10:44 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "Jeff Guild" writes:
> Ah, I love a spelling debate!  May I offer my two cents worth (1.4
> cents US)?
> 
>         chilli : [phonetics deleted] n., (pl. -ies) (also US chili) a
>         small hot-tasting dried red pod of capsicum, 'Capsicum
>         frutescens,' used as seasoning and in curry powder, cayenne
>         pepper, etc. -- chilli con carne : a stew of chilli-flavoured
>         minced beef and beans. -- chilli sauce : a hot sauce made 
>         with tomatoes, chillies, and spices.  [Sp. chile, chili,
>         f. Aztec chilli]
> 
>         chili : var. of CHILLI.
> 
>         Chile : a country occupying a long coastal strip down the
>         southern half of the west of South America, between the Andes
>         and the Pacific Ocean...  [no mention of peppers]

Seems like we're both on the same track here ( except for the plural).

The only puzzle now remaining - how does anyone know that the Aztec/Mexican
derivative was spelt 'chilli'?  The Aztecs didn't use the Modern Roman
alphabet. I think they used hieroglyphs. :-) 

I love spelling/grammar/syntax debates too. (As long as I'm right!)

-- 
David Powner                   Internet: [email-masked]
Micronair {Pollution Control}  Phone   :(01782) 565816
1 Blackthorn Place             Fax     :(01782) 565834
Newcastle under Lyme           Data    :(01782) 562213 (24hr BBS to V32)
ST5 7BE          U.K.          Mobile  : 0831 879135

---

From: David Powner <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 May 1995 12:10:46 +0100

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] "Jon Ziegler" writes:
> I don't think so.  Notice the 1932 vintage.  Those were the days of
> Webster's Second, not Third.  The Second was prescriptive in approach
> rather than descriptive.  Now I'm talking about the unabridged, from
> which I presume the Collegiate is derived.
> 
> I'm no authority, so maybe someone who is wants to speak up.
> 
> Jon

Wow! This is getting heavy! 

I'm actually using the 4th edition, which is a revision of the 3rd edition.

Although the title of Collegiate has been retained, it's actually a new work
abridged directly from Webster's New International. 

As to whether it's prescriptive or descriptive...

---

From: David Powner <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 May 1995 12:10:52 +0100

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked]  writes:
> 
>         No really, there is a concerted movement in the Southwest including
>         the producers/farmers and wholesalers and retailers  to
>         distinguish between the dish 'chili (con carne)', and the 
>         fruit of the Capsicum sp., chile, by the spelling.  The British
>         english countries tend to use chilli.  I think we are looking   
>         at language in transition here; all are correct in one sense.
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 
I'll go along with that!

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan L.M. Buxey)
Date: 25 May 1995 12:14:53 GMT

Tiffany Maja Lawson posted the following:
: not long ago, someone was seeking info on viking, icelandic food history, 
: could that person send me the info if they found it? please.  As the 
: daughter of an Icelandic native, I'd very much like to know.  Thanks bunches,
:  Tiffany Lawson.  send e mail to : [email-masked]

if i'm not asking too much, can i _also_ have this info -> i am very
interested in Viking culture...

alan

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Guild)
Date: 24 May 1995 12:02:05 -0400

David Powner ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] "Greg Butler" writes:

: > please, everyone, learn to spell it---CHILES.  "Chili" is that
: > disgusting texas concoction with meat and tomatoes.

: I've often wondered about the correct spelling, so I decided to look in a
: good dictionary. Granted, there may be different national preferences, but
: according to Websters Collegiate Dictionary (a 1932  international vintage, 
: as I'm trying to avoid modern interpretations/preferences) there are 
: several acceptable spellings.

: Chili (plural chilies), chile, chilli. Possibly the most significant 
: pointer is that it's derived from the mexican word chilli, although the
: dictionary selects chili as the first spelling. There again, with all
: words with an alternative spelling, Websters state that they prefer the
: simpler spelling.

Webster's is the "spell it any way you like" dictionary.  It aims to be
inclusive rather than authoritative.  For a "correct" spelling, you're
better off looking in the Oxford English Dictionary, which has a more
conservative linguistic tendency.  I offer the following from "The
Oxford Encyclopedic English Dictionary," 1991 edition:

	chili : var. of CHILLI.

-- 
         O        Jeff Guild, Librarian/Canoeist  Dynix Library Systems, Inc.
(\____\==^\___/)  [email-masked]                 Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
\      \       /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon Ziegler)
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 19:06:02 GMT

Jeff Guild <[email-masked]> wrote:
>: as I'm trying to avoid modern interpretations/preferences)
>
>Webster's is the "spell it any way you like" dictionary.

Jon
-- 
                  /\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\
[\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\]Jon Ziegler, Cupertino, CA  <[email-masked]>             }
[////////////////]	URL -- ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/jo/jonz/jonz.html   }
                  \/~~\/~~\/~~\/~~\/~~\/~~\/~~\/~~\/~~\/~~\/~~\/~~\/~~\/~~\/

---

From: David Powner <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 May 1995 09:22:35 +0100

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] "Greg Butler" writes:

> please, everyone, learn to spell it---CHILES.  "Chili" is that
> disgusting texas concoction with meat and tomatoes.

I've often wondered about the correct spelling, so I decided to look in a
good dictionary. Granted, there may be different national preferences, but
according to Websters Collegiate Dictionary (a 1932  international vintage, 
as I'm trying to avoid modern interpretations/preferences) there are 
several acceptable spellings.

Chili (plural chilies), chile, chilli. Possibly the most significant 
pointer is that it's derived from the mexican word chilli, although the
dictionary selects chili as the first spelling. There again, with all
words with an alternative spelling, Websters state that they prefer the
simpler spelling.

I would therefore suggest that there is no right or wrong spelling (of 
chili). Indeed, does it really matter? We all know what's being discussed.

Incidentally, this particular dictionary is 'biased' towards spellings
such as 'color', 'center' etc. so I don't think I can be accused of 
choosing a specifically 'English' version. 
-- 
David Powner                   Internet: [email-masked]
Micronair {Pollution Control}  Phone   :(01782) 565816
1 Blackthorn Place             Fax     :(01782) 565834
Newcastle under Lyme           Data    :(01782) 562213 (24hr BBS to V32)
ST5 7BE          U.K.          Mobile  : 0831 879135

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 May 95 14:08:35 +700

>	and the Pacific Ocean...  [no mention of peppers]

	So when we refer to the green (or red) fresh Capsicum sp. pods, we can
	call it chile since there isn't any other name?  ;-)

	I used Chile-Heads for the WWW site and list name to 
	reflect (as a native Californian) my background and education, 
	as well as to distinguish between those people with the red
	meat and beans on their heads, and those who just like to eat
	spicy hot foods; also referring to 'head' in the same sense 
	as Dead Head, Head shop, etc, dating probably from the late 60's. :-)

Mike
Owner, Chile-Heads list
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Michael Bowers	               Internet:  [email-masked]
University of California, Davis

---

From: [email-masked] (John A. Stanley)
Date: 25 May 1995 21:37:43 -0400

> I'm no authority, so maybe someone who is wants to speak up.

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 3rd
Edition, lists only the American spelling: chili.

--
John A. Stanley                      [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jean-Louis Renaud)
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 22:20:29 -0400

Hi [email-masked] (Information Services)                                                                   
 
 On Tue, 16 May 1995 21:15:56 GMT, in Newsgroup : rec.food.historic,                       

> hair blasted off your head).
 
Do you have details in how to subscribe to that mail-list.

> prefer a tall, cool glass of mango lassi myself.

A good wine does a very good job to reduce the _heat_ from a _normal_  
spicey sauce :)))

------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                            
Jean-Louis Renaud          Le/On 19-05-1995             ACCES PUBLIC LLC
                              a/at 22:20            VILLE DE QUEBEC CITY
[email-masked]                                            QC     CANADA
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce R. Miller)
Date: Thu, 25 May 95 21:31:54 GMT

> disgusting texas concoction with meat and tomatoes.

I agree with the spelling, but if it has tomatoes in it, it must be a
disgusting New Mexican concoction, definitely not Texan!

---

From: Angela Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 May 1995 10:23:56 -0700

> interested in Viking culture...
greetings unto you all,
Have either of you tried the Society for Creative Anachronism? You can 
find them on the internet as rec.org.sca .  the people in the sca thrive 
on research and  there is a strong nordic presence in that group. give 
them a try.

belle