Subject: Re: Cumberland sauce, after duke or gap

From: [email-masked] (john & Frances Dowd)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 22:39:38 +0000

In article: <[email-masked]>  [email-masked] (Owen B 
Berg) writes:
> 
> Hello;
> 	I am attempting to track down a red current sauce called 
> cumberland sauce (I think).  I was wondering if anyone knew it's origin, 
> ie age, and who or what it's named after.
>
According to Elizabeth David: the legend is that the sauce is named for 
Ernest, Duke of Cumberland, a brother of George IV and last independent 
ruler of Hanover, and it is probably German in origin. The first recipe 
published in England was in 1904 by a chef to the aristocracy called Alfred 
Suzanne, in La Cuisine Anglaise. It was picked up by Escoffier, who made it 
a commercial success. An earlier version appears in the Gastronomic 
Regenerator by Alexis Soyer in France in 1853, where it is part of a much 
more complicated recipe for preparing a boar's head.

The traditional ingredients are redcurrant jelly melted with orange peel and 
port, and allowed to cool so that it resets. Optional ingredients could be 
mustard, warming spices such as ginger or cinnamon, garlic, or other 
seasonings. It is usually served with cold meat, especially ham, tongue or 
game poultry. (It is also very nice with hot grilled lamb.)
-- 
Frances Dowd
the dust doesn't get worse after the first four years, but you
have to stand on the bed to put your trousers on