Subject: Victorian Recipes?

From: [email-masked] (Marty Busse)
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 13:15:07 GMT

Anyone have any recipes from the Victorian era, or know of a book that
contains them?

-- 
In strategy when both parties abhor collision the advantage goes often to the
one who arranges the status quo in his favor and leaves to the other the "last
clear chance" to stop or turn aside.- Thomas C. Schelling

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Weingart)
Date: Tue, 23 May 95 18:42:49 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
   [email-masked] (Marty Busse) wrote:
>
>	Anyone have any recipes from the Victorian era, or know of a book 
that contains them?
 "Victorian Preserves, Pickles, and Relishes" by Allison Kyle Leopold. 
Clarkson N. Potter, Inc. 1992. ISBN 0-517-58315-1. Ms. Leopold has a 
second book "Victorian Sweets". All the recipes are authentic and taken 
>from  Victorian magazines or cookbooks. As the author credits her sources, 
it should give you a pretty good list of Victorian books. Hope this 
helps!  Pat, not Steve.

---

From: [email-masked] (ERIC E P)
Date: 23 May 1995 20:43:47 -0400

There are a lot of good Victorian books in reprint.  One of the best is
Buckeye Cookery, it is reprinted by Borealis Books, a division of
Minnesota Historical Society.  I'm sorry I can't give you the ISBN number
or a list of more books, but I am moving and all of my books are packed.

Buckeye Cookery not only has recipies but a good history of flour as well
as household hints.

Eric Paige
[email-masked]

---

From: Judy Gerjuoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 22:12:52 -0400

There are many books on Victorian food with recipes available,  My 
personal favorites include:

SAVORY SUPPERS AND FASHIONABLE FEASTS by Susan Williams.  Pantheon (a 
division of Random House, 1985.  This deals with American Victorian, and 
contains, besides the recipes, a fair bit of general information about 
Victorian food, etiquette, tableware/settings. etc. As well as good pictures.

THE VICTORIAN KITCHEN by Jennifer Davies. BBC bOOKS, 1989.  This deals 
with English Victorian.  There is alot of information about food, how it 
is prepared, stored, etc., and some recipes.

THE VICTORIAN COOKBOOK  by Michelle Berriedale-Johnson. Interlink Books, 
1989.  This deals with both English and American Victorian.  There is a 
reasonable amount of general information about Victorian food; they have 
redacted (modernized) the recipes - some also include the original ones.  
Lots of good pictures.

DINING WITH SHERLOCK HOLMES by Julia Carlson Rosenblatt and Frederick H 
Sonnenschmidt. Thames and Hudson, 1978.  I do NOT recommend this book, as 
all the recipes are modernized, with no hints as to which original 
recipes they used.

If all you want is original Victorian recipes, you should get a hold of  
Mrs. Beeton's Everyday Cookery & Housekeeping Book, and Mrs. Beeton's All 
About Cookery, both of which were published in the 1890's.  

And, finally, for a Victorian era cookbook that is really different, may 
I recommend THE JEWISH MANUAL.  It is a facsmile of a 1846 Jewish 
cookbook, It was printed in England, and is the first Jewish cookbook in 
English.

Other than the dietary restriction of the keeping kosher, the cookbook is 
reasonably typical of the cookbooks of the time.

Jaelle

---

From: [email-masked] (James Billard)
Date: 26 May 1995 09:39:54 -0300

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

>        Anyone have any recipes from the Victorian era, or know of a book that

     Try all the new Victorian Magazines on the market. Not only do they cover
fashion, decorating and customs, but often have a recipe section as well. A
recent issue of "Victoria" printed by the Hearst Corp. in New York, carried
a wonderful recipe for Lady Baltimore Cake as well as some background
and literary references to it. Other issues have had preserves, using herbs,
desserts, etc. I buy it and several other Victorian magazines here in Nova
Scotia, Canada, so I assume they are broadly distributed.

Karen Whalen-Billard
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (ERIC E P)
Date: 25 May 1995 08:33:10 -0400

Applewood Books offers a reprint of the first Jewish cookbook printed in
America, it dates from the 1870s.  The recipes and suggestions for serving
are decidely Victorian only prepared in a kosher manner.

Eric Paige
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Arthur S. Pruyn)
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 22:29:28 -0700

>         Anyone have any recipes from the Victorian era, or know of a book that
 Hi.
   There are many books out on Victorian cooking.  Some are facisimilies,
some bits from various books, some modernized some not.  When you say
Victorian do you mean American Voctorian, English, French, etc. Also, what
time period are you looking for- Early Victorian, Edwardian, Belle Epoque,
pre-war, etc.  I'm not trying to be snide only to get more information to
give you some specific assisstance.
   In general some of my favourite books include:

Mrs. Isabella Beeton's Book of Household Management
The Escoffier Cookbook
The Art of Dining
The Victorian Kitchen
Dining with Proust
Monet's Table
Great Cooks and their Recipes

   There are many books out on tea, Civil War cookery, frontier cookery,
etc.  For American books try the catolouges published by Amazon Dry Goods
or J. Townsend.              
   If you'd like more spcific information, please let me know.  I hope
this helps to get you started.  I'm looking forward to seeing what other
responses you get.

Yours,
Elizabeth Pruyn

Arthur S. Pruyn   #  "It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not
ASP Systems       #  its, if you mean it is.  If you don't, it's its.
Oakland, Ca       #  Then too, it's hers.  It isn't her's.  It isn't
[email-masked]   #  our's either.  It's ours, and likewise yours and
                  #  theirs."  The Oxford Rule.