Subject: The Book of Miso

From: [email-masked] (David Adams)
Date: 22 Apr 93 10:28:42 CDT

As promised I brought the book in today.  Here is the information:

		THE BOOK OF MISO

		Food For Mankind

	William Shurtleff & Akiko Aoyagi

	Authors of THE BOOK OF TOFU

	(c) 1976 by William Shurtleff & Akiko Aoyagi

	ISBN 0-345-29107-7

	617 pages, paperback.  A Ballantine Cookbook.

This seems like a real nice book.  It has 100 illustrations by Akiko Aoyagi,
one of the authors.  It also has 400 recipes.  The information seems to be
quite detailed

I couldn't begin to relate all the information in the book, especially when
I haven't read it. ;^)  But here is the table of contents:

What is Miso?			ix
Preface				xiii
Acknowledgments			xix

	Part I

	Miso: Savory, High-Protein Seasoning

1.  Soybeans, Protein, and the World Food Crisis	3
2.  Miso as a Food					23
3.  The Miracle of Fermentation				43
4.  The Varieties of Miso				47

	Part II
	
	Cooking with Miso

5.  Getting Started					89
	Favorite Miso Recipes				120
6.  Recipes from East and West				123
	Miso Toppings				124
	Miso in Dips & Hors D'oeuvres		163
	Miso in Spreads & Sandwiches		177
	Miso Dressings with Salads		186
	Miso in Soups & Stews			226
	Miso in Sauces				270
	Miso with Grains, Beans, & Tofu		287
	Miso in Baked Dishes			326
	Miso Sauteed & Simmered with Vegetables	335
	Miso in Grilled Dishes			354
	Miso in Deep-fried Dishes		361
	Miso & Eggs				372
	Miso in Desserts			377
	Miso Pickles				385
	Koji Cookery				400

	Part III

	The Preparation of Miso

7.  Making Miso at Home and in Communities		407
8.  Japanese Farmhouse Miso				457
9.  Traditional and Modern Miso Production		481

Appendix A:  A History of Chiang, Soy Nuggets,
	Miso, Tamari, and Shoyu				487

Appendix B:  Other East Asian Misos:  Chiang,
	Jang, Taucho, and Tausi				531

Appendix C:  The Microbiology and Chemistry 
	of Miso Fermentation				548

Appendix D:  People and Institutions Connected 
	with Miso					565

Appendix E:  Miso Additives				580

Appendix F:  Miso with Seafoods, Chicken, and Meat	582
	
Appendix G:  Measures, Weights, and Equivalents		586

Appendix H:  So You Want to Study Miso in Japan?	588

Bibliography						591

Glossary 						599

Index							605

Here are some excerpts from the Bibliography:

	ABOUT MISO AND SOYBEANS

		BOOKS

Aihara, Cornellia, <The Chico-san Cookbook>, Chico, Calif.:
	Chico-san Inc., 1972.  Contains a number of good macro-
	biotic miso recipes plus a description of the method for
	preparing miso at home.

Aihara, Herman, <Miso and Tamari>, G.O.M.F., 1544 Oak St.,
	Oroville, Calif.  95965, 1972.  This 34-page pamphlet is the
	first work in English to deal specifically with miso.  Contains
	numerous recipes plus methodologies for preparation of 
	homemade rice, barley, and soybean miso.  Nicely illustrated.

Herman and Cornellia, <Soybean Diet>, G.O.M.F., 1975.  An ex-
	panded version of Miso and Tamari.

Ebine, Hideo et al.  <New Protein Food Technologies in Japan>,
	Chap. IX in A.M. Altschul, New Protein Foods,  Vol 1-a,
	Technology, New York:  Academic Press, 1974.  Contains
	basic information on miso manufacture.

Japan Dietetic Association Corp., <Standart Tables of Food 
	Composition>, Toyko: Daiichi Shuppan K.K., 1964.  The basic
	source of information on the nutritional composition of all 
	Japanese foods; bilingual.

Kellner, O.J., <Miso>, Bulletin of the College of Agriculture,
	Tokyo, Vol. 1, No. 6: 1-3., 1893.  The earliest known study
	of miso by a westerner.

Kikkoman Shoyu Co., <The KJikkoman Cookbook>, revised edition. 
	Tokyo:  Kikkoman, 1977.  Distributed in the U.S. by 
	Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., New York.  A colorful source 
	of information on shoyu and its use in American-style 
	recipes, most of which, however, contain meat.

Kushi, Aveline, <How to Cook with Miso>, New York:  Japan  
	Publications Trading Co., 1978.  Contains many Japanese-
	style and macrobiotic miso recipes.  Attractively illustrated.

Miller, Gloria B., <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, 
	New York: Atheneum, 1966.  Contains an excellent glossary 
	including varieties of Chinese chiang plus delicious recipes 	
	using chiang.

National Academy of Sciences, <Recommended Dietary Allowances>,
	Eighth Ed., Wash., D.C.: N.A.S., 1974.

Ohsawa, Lima, <Thje Art of Just Cooking>, Tokyo; Autumnn Press,
	1974.  Contains many good macrobiotic miso recipes.

Piper, Charles V., and Morse, William J., <The Soybean>, New
	York:  Peter Smith, 1923.  A classic.  The first comprehensive 
	work on soybeans published in the West.  Contains interesting 
	photographbs and information on the art of miso preparation
	in Japan and China during the 1920s.

Rudzinsky, Russ, <Japanese Country Cookbook>, San Francisco:
	Nitty Gritty Publications, 1969.  Contains many miso recipes,
	especially those utilizing animal products; beautifully illus-	
	trated.

Shurtleff, W. R. and Aoyagi, A., <The Book of Tofu>, Brookline,
	Mass., Autumn Press, 1975, and Ballantine Books (revised,
	condensed edition), 1979.  A companion volume to <The Book
	of Miso> describing East Asia's most popular soyfood.

(Hmm, I wonder if that indicates that the Ballantine version of <The
Book of Miso> is not also revised and condensed?  Is there an Autum
Press edition as well?  Since the copyright is in 1976, and the first
Ballantine edition is in April 1981, this must be the case.  The book
I have is from the second printing of the Ballantine Dec. 1982.)

--------------, <The Book of Kudzu>, Brookline Mass., Autumn Press,
	1977.  A guide to this remarkable plant which yeilds the 
	world's finest cooking starch and potent healingg kudzu
	powder from its roots.

--------------, <The Book of Tempeh>, New York: Harper & Row,
	1979.  The full story about this tasty cultured soyfood from
	Indonesia.  Contains miso recipes.

--------------, <Miso Production>, Lafayette, Calif.: The Soyfoods Cen-
	ter, 1979.  How to start and run your own miso shop.

Smith, Allan K., and Circle, Sidney J., <Soybeans: Chemistry and Technology.>
	Westport, Conn:  Avi Pub. Co., 1972.  The definitive modern
	work on soybeans.  An excellent up-to-date review and compilation
	of miso literature by Hesseltine and Wang containing accurate,
	detailed information on the large-scale preparation of miso and
	koji in Japan.

There follows a listing of sceintific journal ariticles in English and in
Japanese, but as I am tired of typing, I will omit it.

---
--David C. Adams  Statistician  Cray Research Inc.  [email-masked]

They moved all the streets around while you were sleeping last night.