Subject: Medieval foods

From: [email-masked] (Daniel J Stern)
Date: Mon, 3 May 1993 18:57:00 GMT

I plan on attending the Renaissance Faire in Sterling Forest, N.Y. this 
summer, and I would appreciate any authentic Medieval (Engligh or German)
recipies you know.  Thanks.

---

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Stokker)
Date: Tue, 4 May 93 18:53:55 GMT

>recipies you know.  Thanks. 

I'd like to know, too!  Please post!

-kevin

---

From: [email-masked] (Alia Atlas)
Date: 5 May 1993 04:36:49 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Kevin Stokker) writes:
|> In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Daniel J Stern) writes:
|> >     I plan on attending the Renaissance Faire in Sterling Forest, N.Y. this 
|> >summer, and I would appreciate any authentic Medieval (Engligh or German)
|> >recipies you know.  Thanks. 
|> 
|> I'd like to know, too!  Please post!
|> 
|> -kevin

What sorts of recipes are you looking for?  I have been translating _Das Buch von
Guter Speise_, and certainly have recipes from that, though not all of them are
redacted (i.e. done up as modern recipes, with amounts, times, temperatures,
etc.).  There are also quite a number of English recipes commonly available.  I
might try _Pleyn Delit_ or _An Ordinance of Pottage_ (sp?).  If you are
interested in playing with the Middle English, _Forme of Curye_ and _Two Fifteenth
Century Cookbooks_ are not hard to acquire.  

How complicated are you looking for?  Are you just looking for recipes so you can
make something authentic for the Ren Faire?  Or do you want to play with the
originals?  How complicated a dish are you thinking of?  Etc.

Alia Atlas
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Stokker)
Date: Wed, 5 May 93 15:04:30 GMT

>originals?  How complicated a dish are you thinking of?  Etc.

I just started reading this newsgroup, and the idea of finding authentic medieval recipes/
recipes to make authentic medieval foods sounded fascinating.  I'm not a pro by any
means, but I enjoy cooking in general.  I also get a kick out of medieval stuff.
Any range of complicatedness is fine.

Maybe I'll see if I can find _Forme of Curye_.  That's sounds neat, esp. since
Indian is my favorite cuisine.

-kevin

---

From: [email-masked] (David Friedman)
Date: Wed, 5 May 1993 18:14:28 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Kevin Stokker)

> Indian is my favorite cuisine.

I believe that "Curye" means "cookery"--it has nothing to do with Indian
cooking. The nearest things to sources for medieval Indian cooking that I
know of are one book, published in India, on the history of food in India
(I can probably find the reference if you want it), and the section of Ibn
Battuta's Travels describing his experiences in India in the 14th century.
The latter does not have recipes, but it does have detailed descriptions of
one or two feasts.

I note that you are in Ithaca. I will be spending next academic year at
Cornell, and my wife and I will probably be holding our usual occasional
medieval cooking workshops. If interested, you will be able to reach me at
the Law School.

David Friedman

---

From: [email-masked] (John Sugg)
Date: Thu, 6 May 1993 17:24:00 GMT

Gaul's Onion Stew
 2 pounds beef tips
 6 large onions (diced)
1 pound wey cheese (I like mozzarella) grated                            (Daniel J Stern) writes:
1 teaspoon pepper                                                       . this
1 teaspoon salt                                                         an)
 Brown beef tips in pot add 2 qts water and bring to a boil add onions
 salt and pepper,return to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for one
 hour. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Cover for 15 minutes then
 serve with coarse brown bread. (This is a stick to your ribs type dish,
 and also the pot.I wonder what they for a pot scrubber in the middle
 ages?)
--
JOHN SUGG                                                               00010001
YELLOW HAMMER FORGE                                                     00020001
WAVERLY,ALABAMA USA                                                     00030001
                                                                        00040001
"TWO THINGS THAT WILL SEND A BLACKSMITH TO HELL;NOT CHARGING ENOUGH FOR 00050001
HIS WORK AND BEATING COLD IRON."                                        00060001

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 6 May 1993 20:26:46 GMT

>      Gaul's Onion Stew

[recipe deleted]

Sounds tasty.  Where did you find it?

> .... I wonder what they [used] for a pot scrubber in the middle
> ages?)

Twigs, scouring rushes, maybe even a bit of leftover chainmail.

Dorothy J. Heydt
(who is sure about the scouring rushes, anyway)
UC Berkeley
[email-masked]

Disclaimer:  UCB and the Cozzarelli lab are not responsible for my
opinions, and in fact I don't think they know I have any.