Subject: Re: Coffee

From: [email-masked] (Shava Nerad Averett)
Date: 29 May 1993 18:21:38 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (David D Auerbach) writes:
>I thought that the religious reasons in Islamic countries were an excuse
>for the deeper religious reasons of preferring the congregation to spend
>their time in worship and not hanging out in coffeeshops socializing, and
>perhaps plotting. 

I am surprised that there wasn't a froufrou about coffee being an intoxi-
cant.  Intoxicants are forbidden by the quran.

-- 
Shava Nerad Averett				[email-masked]
/*  all original materials (c)1993, Shava Nerad Averett, and have nothing 
    significant to do with the University of North Carolina, a mostly owned 
    subsidiary of the NC Legislature, a mostly owned subsidiary of NC DOT. */

---

From: [email-masked] (David Friedman)
Date: Mon, 31 May 1993 19:21:07 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Shava
> cant.  Intoxicants are forbidden by the quran.

There was. See Ralph Hattox, _Coffee and Coffeehouse, The Origin of a
Social Beverage in the Medieval Near East_ for a detailed discussion.

David Friedman