Subject: Spanish food circa 1600

From: Gretchen Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1993 14:56:14 -0400

Does anyone know of any good sources for Spanish recipes around 1600. 
I'm particularly interested in sources online or recipes that anyone can
mail.

I've volunteered to do a lunch at a Spanish Maine event, and I want to
use period recipes if possible.

Thanks!

toodles, gretchen

---

From: [email-masked] (David Friedman)
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1993 19:13:31 GMT

> Does anyone know of any good sources for Spanish recipes around 1600. 

You have a good date, but so far as I know none of the sources has been
translated. Our library actually has a Spanish cookbook c. 1600 in its rare
book collection which I have held in my own two hands--a pretty little
leather bound book. I have photocopies of that, and also have out of the
library (I think) a modern printing of one of the 16th century Spanish
cookbooks. If you were proposing to translate one of them, I could be
persuaded to send a xerox.

Of course, if you want to do civilized Spanish cooking for them, there is
the 13th century Andalusian cookbook--in English translation, included in
Volume II of my collection.

David Friedman