Subject: Re: Tiramisou, an Italian dessert

From: [email-masked] (Ronda Eikenberry)
Date: 8 Jun 93 07:09:21 GMT

Here is one that is like the dessert that you are looking for.
It's really close and there are MANY VARIATIONS!!!!!!

I've used this when catering and everyone loves it!!

MASCARPONE TORTE WITH ESPRESSO SAUCE

"An updated version of the traditional Tiramisu, guilded with an espresso
sauce"

12 servings   (X6 for a full sheet pan)

TORTE
1  1/2" thick layer classic genoise or a 9" diameter sponge cake
1/4 c hot strong espresso coffee- with some added rum
2 Tblsp sugar

9 yolks
1 c sugar
1 1/2 lbs. masarpone cheese (an Italian cream cheese), at room temperature
1 1/2 c chilled whipping cream

ESPRESSO SAUCE
1/4 c hot strong espresso coffee \Combine together
3 Tblsp sugar                    /

1 c chilled whipping cream--stiff peaks, fold into coffee/sugar mixture

GARNISH THE TOP OF THE TORTE.....with unsweetened cocoa powder sifted on top
of the torte.

Line bottom of a 9" springform pan w/ 2 1/2" up the sides with genoise layer. 

Combine espresso and 2 Tblsp sugar in small bowl.  Stir until sugar
dissolves.
Cool.  Brush over genoise.  DO NOT DRENCH THE GENOISE/SPONGE LAYER!!!!!
Combine yolks & 1c sugar in large metal bowl.  Set over a pan of simmering
H2O,
and whisk until just warm to the touch, about 3 minutes.  Remove & using a 
mixer, beat yolks until pale yellow and tripled in volume, about 5 minutes.
Fold in mascarpone cheese.  Whip cream to stiff peaks in another bowl. 
Gently
fold into yolk mixture.  Pour over genoise that has been brushed with the 
espresso, & smooth the top.  Cover with plastic wrap, freeze until firm,
about
6-8 hours.

Repeat the layers until you have a layer of (starting on the bottom when
plated)
geniose, cheese, genoise, cheese
This dessert can be prepared 3-7 days in advanced (and boy does it!!!!)

Soften in referigartor for 30 minutes to release the sides. 
Sift cocoa on the top and serve.

ALSO: you can make a creme anglaise or make pastry cream and then dilute it
down
with whipping cream and pool it on the plate and then put the Tiramisu on top
of the sauce.

ENJOY!!!!!

... I'M NOT TARDY, THE CLOCK IS SLOW