Subject: Toad-in-the-Hole

From: [email-masked] (Leigh Ann Hussey)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1993 19:21:01 GMT

Ian ([email-masked]), writing back to thank me for posting
the Veal & Ham Pie recipe, asked if I had one for toad-in-the-hole.
As it happens...

TOAD IN THE HOLE

2 eggs
1 c all-purpose flour
1 c milk
1/2 t salt, pinch pepper
1 lb fresh pork links

Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl, and make a well in the center.
Break the eggs into this well and beat them up, then slowly pick up flour
from the sides of the well until the eggs and flour are all beaten up
together.  Then pour in the milk in a thin stream until the whole mess
is smooth and creawy.  FYI, you can use this batter for fish&chips also
and Yorkshire pudding (for this, just bake the batter @ 400degF for 15
min, then reduce the heat to 375degF and bake for another 15 min until
it's all golden).  Chill the batter for at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400degF.  Put the sausages side-by-side in a heavy 10-12"
skilliet, prick the skins once or twice with a fork to keep them from
bursting (that's why bangers are called bangers, did you know?).  Sprinkle
them with 2 T water, cover the pan tightly and cook over low heat for 3
minutes.  Then remove the cover, increase the heat to moderate and keep
cooking and turning the sausages until the water is all gone and they're all
beginning to go nice and brown.

Set the sausages in a single layer in a baking dish about 6x10" and 2"
deep, along with a drizzle of their drippings (to your taste; the recipe
says 2 T).  Keep them at least an inch apart.  Pour the batter over them,
bake them on the middle rack of the oven fo 30 min or until the pudding
has risen above the level of the pan walls and is crisp and brown.
Serve at once, serves 4.

Cheers,
	- Leigh Ann