Subject: Beans, beans for every meal...

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Jun 93 19:16:48 -0600

The species of legumes listed below are from the USDA list of economically
important plants.  Common names and origin and remarks are largely from
>>Mabberly, D.J. 1990 [corrected edition].  The Plant-Book.  
Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.<<

A "?" by itself means I have no information, not necessarily that origins 
are unknown.

       --Kay

Scientific name	        Common name	                 Origin & remarks
-------------------     -------------------------------  --------------------
Apios americana	        potato bean, groundnut	         North America
Arachis hypogaea	peanut, groundnut, goober, mani	 S. America, maybe 
                                                         E Andes?
Bauhinia esculenta	marama	                         ?
Cajanus cajan	       pigeon pea, congo pea, dhal, red gram, ambrevade	
                                                         Africa? S. Asia?
Canavalia ensiformis	Jamaican horsebean, jackbean, 
                        horsebean, swordbean, 
                        sabre bean	                tropical Americas
Canavalia gladiata	swordbean	                old world
Canavalia plagiosperma	oblique-seeded jackbean	
Canavalia rosea	        beach bean	                pantropical
Castanospermum australe	Moreton bay chestnut, 
                        Australian chestnut	       NE Australia, New 
                                                       Caledonia, Vanuatu.  
                                                       Poisonous raw.
Ceratonia siliqua	carob, St. John's Bread	       Oman? Arabia & Somalia
Cicer arietinum 	chickpea, garabanzo, Bengal gram,
                        yellow gram, spanish pea       Turkey? 
                                                       (3rd lrgst pulse crop; 
                                                "salted provender" of Isaiah
Cordeauxia edulis	ye'eb, jeheb nut	       Somalia, Ethiopia; 
                                                       endangered species
Cyamopsis tetragonoloba	guar, clusterbean	       Africa & Arabia; 
                                                       cultigen
Dolichos biflorus = Vigna unguiculata subsp. cylindrica	
Dolichos lablab = Lablab purpureus		
Entada gigas	       sea bean, Mackeybean, nickerbean      tropical Africa
                                                         & Americas
Glycine max	       soybean	                        probably selected 
                                   N China 11th century BC; known to Europeans
                                   since 16th century AD; first cult. US 1924.
Glycyrrhiza glabra     licorice (as opposed to anise)	Mediterranean to 
                                                        central Asia
Inga edulis	       icecream bean	                tropical Americas
Inga vera	       guaba, guama	                tropical Americas
Inocarpus fagifer      Polynesian chestnut, Tahitian 
                       chestnut, O'taheite chestnut	Pacific
Lablab purpureus       hyacinth bean, lablab bean, 
                       bonavist bean	                probably tropical Africa
Lathyrus aphaca	       yellow pea	                Europe & Mediterranean 
                                                        to Afghanistan
Lathyrus hirsutus      rough pea, Caley pea	        ?
Lathyrus montanus	       [edible tubers]	        European
Lathyrus sativus       chickling pea, chickling vetch, 
                       dogtooth pea, grass pea, Indian pea, 
                       Riga pea, kheshari	        cultigen, Europe?
Lathyrus tuberosus	[edible tubers]                 E. Mediterranean
Lens culinaris	       lentil, masur, 	                E. Mediterranean to Iraq
Leucaena esculenta     guaje	                        Mexico
Leucaena leucocephala  leucaena, leadtree, jumbie bean,
                        ipil-ipil               	Mexico
Macroptilium atropurpureum	siratro, purple bean, 
                             conchito	               tropical Americas
Macrotyloma geocarpum	geocarpa groundnut, 
                        Kersting's groundnut	       West Africa
Macrotyloma uniflorum	horsegram	               Old world tropics
Pachyrhizus ahipa	yam bean	               ?
Pachyrhizus erosus	jicama, yam bean               central America
Pachyrhizus tuberosus	ajipo, yam bean	?
Phaseolus acutifolius var. latifolius	tepary bean   southern N America
Phaseolus coccineus	scarlet runner bean	      Central America
Phaseolus lunatus	lima bean, butter bean, Burma 
                        bean, duffin, Rangoon bean	tropical S America
Phaseolus vulgaris	garden bean, green bean, 
                        kidney bean, haricot bean, 
                        frijoles, navy bean, 
                        pinto bean, canellini bean, etc.  tropical America
Pisum sativum	       pea, garden pea, field pea	Mediterranean to Iran
Pisum sativum var arvense	dun pea, grey pea, 
                       mutter pea, partridge pea, 
                       peluskins	               Mediterranean to Iran
Pisum sativum var. macrocarpon	sugar pea. mangetout   Mediterranean
Pithecellobium dulce   Manila tamarind, 
                       Madras thorn, guaymochil	       central America
Pithecellobium unguis-cati	Black Jessie	Florida to northern S America
Psophocarpus tetragonolobus	winged pea, winged bean, 
                      Goa bean, asparagus pea, 
                      princes pea, dambala	       tropical Asia
Psoralea bituminosa	Arabian scurfpea	
Psoralea esculenta	prairie turnip, prairie potato  N. America	
Senna occidentalis	coffee senna, negro coffee	subtropical America
Sphenostylis stenocarpa	African yam bean         	Africa
Tamarindus indica	tamarind	                tropical Africa?
Trigonella foenum-graecum  fenugreek	                S Europe, W Asia
Vicia faba	        broad bean, horsebean, fava bean, 
                        windsor bean	                        S. Europe? Central Asia?
Vicia narbonensis	Narbonne vetch	
                        possible ancestor of V. faba	S. Europe
Vigna aconitifolia	mat bean, moth bean	        S. Asia
Vigna angularis	        adzuki bean	                Asia
Vigna mungo	        black gram, urd	                tropical Asia
Vigna radiata var radiata	mung bean, green gram	
                                                       Indonesia?  Seedlings 
                                                are commercial "bean sprouts"
Vigna subterranea	Bambarra groundnut, 
                        groundbean	              W. Africa
Vigna umbellata	        rice bean	              S. Asia
Vigna unguiculata ssp. cylindrica	catjang	       ?
Vigna unguiculata ssp. sesquipedalis	
                       yard-long bean, asparagus bean	
Vigna unguiculata ssp. unguiculata	
                       yawa, southern pea, cowpea, 
                       black-eyed pea, crowder pea   Old World
Vigna vexillata	       zombi pea	             tropical old world

Additions welcome!

Kay Klier  Biology Dept  UNI     in%"[email-masked]"