Subject: allspice

From: [email-masked] (gary van lingen)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1993 19:26:17 GMT

To the various readers of this group:

While reading the Plein Delit by Butler and Hieatt I ran across one spice I
thought was New World in origin.  In the recipe for Funges (the number
escapes me right now), they suggest in the powder fort that it should
include allspice.  As far I am aware, isn't allspice a New World import??

Gary
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 4 Aug 1993 20:27:04 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>include allspice.  As far I am aware, isn't allspice a New World import??

It sure is.  Perhaps B and H were suggesting you use it instead of some
rare Old World spice, not easily obtained (unless you live in Berkeley)?
Galingale maybe?  Grains of Paradise?  (C/a/r/i/a/d/o/c/ David, what
do you think?

Dorothy J. Heydt
UC Berkeley
[email-masked]

Disclaimer:  UCB and the Cozzarelli lab are not responsible for my
opinions, and in fact I don't think they know I have any.

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Bloch)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1993 02:25:45 GMT

gary van lingen <[email-masked]> pointed out that _Pleyn Delit_
uses the New World spice allspice in one of their redactions.

Dorothy Heydt <[email-masked]> replied:
>Galingale maybe?  Grains of Paradise?

I can't see substituting allspice for galingale, particularly since
B&H include ginger (the usual substitute for galingale) in their
redaction of the same recipe.  Grains of Paradise sounds plausible,
but the original recipe quoted in _Pleyn Delit_ simply calls
uninformatively for a powdor fort.

-- 
					Stephen Bloch
				     [email-masked]