Subject: The origins of fries

From: [email-masked] (Tamsin Douglas)
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1993 16:41:34 EST

Greetings from the Jazz city of Montreal. 

I suspect that questions on the development of french fries have already
surfaced in this forum, but I'm new to it so please bear with me.

The french fry as we know it emerged in France, but I'm wondering if anyone
has anymore insight on it. For instance, where in France?, when?, how?, etc.
Obviously french fries were 'invented' after the potato made its way to Europe
from the New World, but who came up with the bright idea?

Also, Belgian fries are quite distinct from French fries. The Belgians soak the potatoes in water for 24 hours before blanching them at about 300F and then they crisp and brown
them up at higher temperature. Why do they do it this way and how did this
difference come about?

If anyone can shed some light on the befuddling french fry I would greatly
appreciate it. THANKS! @Tamsin, frying in Montreal. someone has already
inquired in this forum

---

From: [email-masked] (LLOYD DENNINGTON)
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1993 02:05:33 GMT

I am curious regarding the difference between "French" and "Belgian"
fried potatoes.  It was stated that the difference was that the
Belgians soaked theirs in water for 24 hours and then blanched them
at 300 degrees prior to finishing frying.  From my standpoint, that
is the only way that one can make crisp fried potatoes.  Comments?

			Lloyd