Subject: medieval recipes

From: [email-masked] (Lotte Evans)
Date: 15 Oct 1993 11:24:17 GMT

If anybody is still interested in medieval recipes' The goodman of Paris'
a fascinating book written originally 1393, contains a number of recipes
and is a very interesting book written by an old man who married a very
young girl .  This 'childwife ' asked her husband to assist her in
becoming a good wife.. The book has a great chapter on'How to prepare viands'
I only bought a copy recently
Lotte Evans, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia

---

From: [email-masked] (David Friedman)
Date: 16 Oct 1993 03:40:54 GMT

> Lotte Evans, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia

So far as I know, there is no commercially published translation of Le
Menagier that contains all of the recipes. The old translation is
reasonably complete for the book as a whole, but leaves out large chunks of
the recipe collection without saying it is doing so. The new translation
("A Medieval Home Companion" or something of the sort) is, I believe, just
extracts.

The second volume of my cookbook collection, however, has a complete
translation of the cooking section, done by Janet Hinson.

David Friedman
[email-masked]