Subject: Re: medieval recipes?

From: [email-masked] (Julian Smith)
Date: 23 Sep 1993 05:01:34 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>
[email-masked] writes:
>Does anyone know of any medieval recipes, preferably ones used before
>the thirteenth century?  I recall reading an ad for some sort of
>medieval cookbook, which may have been put out by Toronto University,
>but I haven't been able to locate it.  Thanks in advance!
>                                           --Cynthia Coutts
>                                             UCLA GSLIS/Medieval History
>                                             [email-masked]

Dear Cynthia et al:

  The ad you recall is for a book on medieval cooking issued by the
University of Toronto Press in paperback (white cover).  Your memory
is quite good, as the book came out in 1976.  Here is a full citation:

  Hieatt, Constance B., _Pleyn Delit: Medieval Cookery for Modern
  Cooks_ (Toronto, Buffalo: University of Toronto Press, 1976).

  I've seen this book at several bookshops around Toronto; it's in
many libraries in Canada and the USA too.  Good luck!

Julian A. Smith
Institute for the History and Philosophy
of Science and Technology
University of Toronto