Subject: REQUEST: Olive processing (fwd.)

From: [email-masked] (Larry London)
Date: 25 Aug 1993 03:21:46 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> 
[email-masked] (David G. Epstein) writes:

	I have an olive tree, which is about to bear fruitfully.  Does
anyone know how I can process the olives, e.g. Kalamata style, so I can
eat them safely?  Does this involve lye, sale, or what?

 ===============================================================
 |        David G. Epstein ([email-masked])                |
 | Voice: Day (714)851-9000 Eve (714)975-0718 Fax (714)833-9455|
 |                 "Pay the two dollars."                      |
 ===============================================================

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 26 Aug 1993 20:22:00 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Larry London)  
writes:
]In article <[email-masked]> 
][email-masked] (David G. Epstein) writes:
]
]	I have an olive tree, which is about to bear fruitfully.  Does
]anyone know how I can process the olives, e.g. Kalamata style, so I can
]eat them safely?  Does this involve lye, sale, or what?
]
] ===============================================================
] |        David G. Epstein ([email-masked])                |
] | Voice: Day (714)851-9000 Eve (714)975-0718 Fax (714)833-9455|
] |                 "Pay the two dollars."                      |
] ===============================================================

Judging from the Southern California area code, I'd guess that the olive types  
available would best be cured with salt (Kalamata is a variety; likely the ones  
locally are different). 

Salt curing is easy though messy. Allow olives to ripen to blackness (but not  
too soft or they will fall apart), layer in an container that drains easily  
(wicker baskets are perfect) with layers of coarse salt alternating with olives  
topping with salt. Sit the basket where the brine can drain away, checking   
that you still have crystalline salt: you want them not in brine. The cure  
takes a couple of weeks (it's been 20 years since I cured olives). They're done  
when they are no longer nasty bitter (they still retain some bitterness). 

When cured, pack in jars with some olive oil to soften; some dried herbs--thyme  
and/or rosemary and black peppe is a good addition. To serve, marinate a while  
with some more olive oil, a bit minced garlic, minced flat leaf parsley, and  
chopped grilled sweet red peppers, and herbs of choice.

Dave Coder
[email-masked]