Subject: Old salt/sugar cured bacon

From: [email-masked] (Michael Johnston -- Michael's Music Service)
Date: 19 Aug 1993 01:43:24 GMT

I've found a source for bacon that's cut thick and doesn't contain MSG
or nitrates.  It's a beautiful natural color and is saltier and smokier
than "normal" bacon.
 
Is there any evidence that bacon was parboiled before frying?  And that the
remaining water was then used to make stock for soup/stew?  Come to think
of it, how old is bacon?  Surely, we can trace it back prior to 1000 in 
Gaul.

This company that makes the bacon also claims no hormones or antibiotics
are injected into their animals.

Cheers!
Michael

"Vegetarians are a recent invention of mine."
-- 
MICHAEL'S MUSIC SERVICE   | CIS: 70731,3403                   | Michael Johnston
4146 Sheridan Drive       | [email-masked]          |       and  
Charlotte, NC  28205-5654 | (704) 567-1066   (800) 438-4129   |    John Apple  
** Brother Ambrose, Friars Minor **     ** Guillaume de Pomme, Maitre d'Orgue **

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Johnston -- Michael's Music Service)
Date: 22 Aug 1993 15:38:49 GMT

>or nitrates.  It's a beautiful natural color and is saltier and smokier
 
So many folks have asked about the source . . .

I get it from a local part-organic natural food supermarket called Talley's.
The next time I'm in, I'll get the address of the processor so you can 
write and ask for a distributor near you.

However, no one's commented on . . .
>of it, how old is bacon?  Surely, we can trace it back prior to 1000 in 

Certainly, a whole country ham from 1600s through refrigeration was boiled
(and a lot more) before frying, but I'm asking about the strips.

Cheers!
Michael

---

From: [email-masked] (Ian Staples)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1993 11:15:41 GMT

>>or nitrates.  It's a beautiful natural color and is saltier and smokier
When I was a child we always had to wash bacon before cooking or it
would be too salty to eat.  As I recall, it was actually scalded or
simmered briefly, washed, then cooked.

It is one of the achievements of modern technology that we have turned
products which were designed to keep without refrigeration into products
which won't keep, even with it :-(
-- 
Ian Staples                        E-mail : [email-masked]
c/- P.O. Box 1054 MAREEBA          Phone  : +61 (0)70 921 555 Home 924 847
Queensland Australia 4880            Fax  : +61 (0)70 923 593   "   "   "