Subject: Baumkuchen or tree cake

From: [email-masked] (Anthony Weiss)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1993 00:20:19 GMT

(We've had some problems with our server, so apologies if this has been
posted more than once).

I would like to try out this recipe which I heard about a long time
ago, but need someone to give me the details. Any takers?

I think the cake recipe involved creating a cake on a rotating
spit, over an open fire. Batter was poured or spooned over the
spit and as a result it hardened/baked as the spit turned. I would
guess some caramelizing of sugar(s) in the batter also occurred.
After one 'layer' had baked, more batter was poured or spooned over,
and the process repeated.

In this way, the growing cake contained contained a series of layers,
and when the cake was cut, it resembled the 'rings' of a tree after
slicing through the trunk, hence the name Baumkuchen.

Who can supply me with a recipe? I believe the cake was popular in
Europe around the end of last century.

Thanks

Tony Weiss

"usual disclaimers apply"

------------------------------------------------------------------
Anthony S Weiss, PhD           email:[email-masked]
Department of Biochemistry           [email-masked]
University of Sydney
NSW  2006                      Telephone: +61 2 692 3464
Australia                      FAX:       +61 2 692 4726
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1993 15:39:26 GMT

Tony Weiss writes
> spit and as a result it hardened/baked as the spit turned. I would

	I'm not sure if this is the same but it sure sounds alot
	like the Damper [ or Twist ] we used to make in Scouts

	Take a basic dough [Sugar, rasians etc. to taste] and wrap round 
	a stick then basically toast it although for your recipe I suggest 
	after it cooks but before it browns add a new layer to get your 
	ring effect.

	As for it's origins I understood it was a Bushmans recipe from 
	the Austrailian outback or an old soliders trick from way back...

        				!  Not only do I speak for myself
TIMBO				        !  But I also speak for my Dept.
                                        !  and University, Not to Mention
([email-masked])	!  Academics in General.
Internet = [email-masked]}        !  But most of all I speak for YOU!

      [Devils Advocated and Windmills Tilted at low cost. Enquire within...]