Subject: 18th Century Cookery Books

From: [email-masked] (Tim Hammond)
Date: 9 Sep 1993 11:55:03 GMT

Hi,

I'm looking for reprints of 18th century cookery books:

Glasse, Hannah. The Art of Cookery made Plain and Easy. 1747.
reprinted with glossary and index by Prospect Books. (London, 1983)

Raffald, Elizabeth. The Experienced English Housekeeper. 
10th edn. Manchester, 1786; 8th edn. 1782. reprinted by 
E. and W. Books (Publishers) Ltd (1970) and Redwood Press
for Paul Minet reprints (1972)

Smith, Eliza. The Complete Housewife. London, 1727; 15th edn.
1753. reprinted with a foreword by Lord Montagu of Beaulieu, 
and the addition of a glossary compiled by C.H. Hudson, by
Literary Services and Production Ltd (London, 1968)

I am also interested in: Carter, Charles. The Complete Practical
Cook. 1730. reprinted by Prospect Books (London, 1984);
Cook, Ann. Professed Cookery. 2nd edn. Newcastle, 1775; 3rd edn.
reprinted as Ann Cook and Friend, with introduction and notes by
Regula Burnet, by Oxford University Press (London, 1936)

I need these books for my dissertation (urgently), so if I can buy,
borrow or photo copy them, or if you know where and how to get them,
or if you have any information on Prospect Books, please let me know.
Please reply to this newsgroup or e-mail to: [email-masked]

Thank you,
Nynke Wierda

---

From: [email-masked] (Henry Troup)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1993 18:57:08 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Tim Hammond) writes:

|> Raffald, Elizabeth.
|> Smith, Eliza.

Eliza Acton, Elizabeth David

Why are some many cookery books by women named Elizabeth?

-- 
Henry Troup - [email-masked] (Canada) - BNR owns but does not share my opinions
	 "Some will die for fortune, some will die for pleasure,
		      but only lovers die for love"

---

From: [email-masked] (Nick Maclaren)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1993 21:32:39 GMT

< Why are some many cookery books by women named Elizabeth?

Well, it has been consistently one of the most popular girls' names in
the UK for the past 400 years ....

The Oxford Dictionary of English Christian Names says "Elizabeth is found
in England from time to time in the 13th and 14th C, but did not become
common until the end of the 15th C.  ....  At the end of the 15th C Elizabeth
was still a comparitively rare name; by 1560 it accounted for over 16% of
all female baptisms, and by 1600 for over 20%, a position which it held for
at least 200 years.

Nick Maclaren
University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory,
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,
Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.
Email:  [email-masked]
Tel.:   +44 223 334761
Fax:    +44 223 334679