Subject: How have sunflowers been used

From: [email-masked] (Howard L Katz)
Date: 5 Sep 1993 10:56:52 GMT

My sister loves the flowers. I have no doubt she would like to plant them in
her own garden if she ever gets out of the city. But she is curious enough
for some research on how and where sunflower came from.

Does anybody know about this wonderful flower. Or some possible sources?

		Thanks,
		Howard

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Paul Checkman)
Date: 5 Sep 1993 18:57:31 GMT

>		Howard

How about Kansas?
o o
 !
DaN

---

From: [email-masked] (Sarah Henderson)
Date: 6 Sep 1993 06:35:16 GMT

>From _On Food and Cooking_, by Harold McGee.

Sunflower seeds are the only North American native plant to become a
significant world crop.  Was cultivated by Native Americans in the
Southwest.  Brought to Europe in 1510 as a decorative plant.  In the 18th
century, France and Bavaria grew the first crops as a source of oil.  
Soviet Union is the top producer worldwide.  N. Dakota, Minnesota, and
California are top producers in U.S.

--Sarah

---

From: Gretchen Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1993 13:53:46 -0400

Excerpts from netnews.rec.food.historic: 6-Sep-93 Re: How have
sunflowers bee.. Sarah [email-masked] (444)

> California are top producers in U.S.

Huh?  Unlike maize corn, potatoes, tomatos, capscan peppers?  I usually
agree with Mr. McGee, but I think he screwed up slightly here.

toodles, gretchen

---

From: [email-masked] (Marc Milgram)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1993 23:27:41 GMT

I believe that Sunflowers are also used to keep birds away from the
rest of the garden.

-Marc

---

From: [email-masked] (sharon ann palmer)
Date: 8 Sep 1993 14:11:45 -0400

>agree with Mr. McGee, but I think he screwed up slightly here.

But those are _South_ and _Central_ American natives.  Native North
Americans were growing maize and pumpkins before Columbus, but
they were imported.  Natives of Southwest North America also
grew tomatoes and peppers, imported.  I dont think potatoes 
made it out of Peru before the Conquistadors, though.

Sharon Palmer

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Floreani)
Date: 13 Sep 1993 00:04:24 GMT

>agree with Mr. McGee, but I think he screwed up slightly here.

I dont claim to ba an expert on this topic at all, being from another
country, but I always thought that potatoes, maize, and capascium peppers
were from South America not North Amercica. 

daniel