Subject: Re: Barbeque

From: [email-masked] (Sam Waring)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1993 21:56:18 -0800

BE>>   1)  If I were to speak of "barbecue" (BBQ) rather than "barbecued 
 BE>> <insert type of meat here>", to what type of meat am I referring? 
 BE>> (i.e., what is barbecue?). 

 > To a true southerner, Barbecue, pronounced bobba-cue, means pork. You 
 > can eat barbecued beef, or barbecue some chicken, but if you go to 
 > eat barbecue, it used to be a pig.
 
Not in Texas, though.  We had far more cows than pigs, so the preferred 
meat for barbecue was and is beef.  Also, Texan barbecue is often seasoned 
with a dry spice rub rather than with a thick, sweet, tomato-and-brown-
sugar-based sauce.  Barbecue sauces in Texas have tended to be thinner, 
minus the sugar, and have vinegar and a little red pepper in. 
 
Also, FWIW, "barbecue" is supposed to be Anglicized corruption of the 
Spanish "barbacoa," which would indicate that the whole idea of barbecue 
first migrated from Mexico through Texas and thence to the rest of the 
world.

*************************************************************************
*  Sam Waring                     *  Disclaimer:  *I* don't know what I *
*  [email-masked]             *  said, much less Delphi.            *
*************************************************************************

... My mind's got a mind of its own.
 * Origin: Salata BBS * Redondo Beach, CA * (310) 543-0439 Fidonet:
(1:102/125)