Subject: low fat versions

From: [email-masked] (Delia Stark)
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1993 11:14:02

Has anyone tried remaking recipies so they are healthier and lower in fat?

I've learned to make gravies and white sauces with evaporated skim milk and
have had good results.  As long as you don't heat the mix to a boil, or for
too long.  Then the milk curdles.
    D.

---

From: Kathryn W. Kemp \Kay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 93 21:56:23 EST

I've followed the suggestion that fruit puree can take the place of
shortening in certain baked goods.  Prunes in a standard brownie
recipe produced an ok cake brownie, but not a big thrill.  The simple
way to get the fruit purees is to buy large (junior) jars of baby food.
But don't tell anybody; some folks seem to have a prejudice against
eating the stuff after they have sprouted their own teeth.  Yoghurt
cheese is another tolerable alternate for spreading on bagels, etc.
I make it by dumping fat-free yoghurt into a re-useable cone shaped drip
coffee filter.  The longer it drips the firmer the final product is.
You can flavor it up for canapes, too.  This isn't low-fat, but a large
shaker of cinnamon sugar does wonders for the morning toast, and a very
small amount does the job.
*sigh* I do miss half-and-half in my morning coffee.  Happy nutrition--
Kay Kemp, in Atlanta GA