Subject: What's Cantonese for "the French will eat anything"?

From: [email-masked] (Cameron Laird)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1993 12:52:52 GMT

"... and next to them were vague smaller shapes, each suspended
by black plastic twine and looking as if it had melted from some
more definite form.  These, too, were cheese--<<caillettes>>:
'the maximum that has been attained during the entire history of
cheese, for me and for every connoisseur of cheese,' said M. La-
du.  The <<caillette> is the abomasum, the rennet stomach of a
suckling kid or other young ruminant.  (<<Caille'>> is curd.)
When a male kid is slaughtered, M. Ladu removes the <<caill-
ette>> complete with its contents of mother's milk.  In four
months, the milk has become cheese.  Nothing need be added or
done--acids and rennet make the cheese--but at Le Castellas,
the <<caillettes>> are hung up in the smoke room, where they re-
ceive the standard small amount of smoke.  No one need invent a
fanciful tale about the origin of the first cheese.  No con-
jecture stand up in the face of the self-explanatory,
primordial <<caillette>>."

This is from

	Behr, Edward
	1993	"The Goat is the Cow of the Poor", The
		Art of Eating, Number 27 (summer 1993)
-- 

Cameron Laird
[email-masked] ([email-masked])	+1 713 267 7966
[email-masked] ([email-masked])  	+1 713 996 8546