Subject: history of beer books

From: [email-masked] (Dana Rachlin)
Date: 2 Jun 1994 10:55:11 -0400

We are looking for 4 books that have old beer recipes. They are:

1. Stanley W. Baron "Brewed In America: A History of Beer and Ale
 in the United States" Lc 72 5030 Ayer

2. Charles c. Wolf "100 Years of Brewing" first published
 in 1903 but possibly re-issued in last 5-10 yrs, Siebel 

3. Bill Yenne "Beers of North America"
 (not sure of the year published) Crescent

4. Will Anderson "Beer, New England. An Affectionate Look
 at Our Six States' Past and Present Brews and breweries" LC 88-91234

We prefer to purchase these if possible (some may be out
 of print) but if 
you know of libraries that have them, that would be of interest to us.

Just for information, we are trying to help someone
 obtain old recipes for brewing beer and after contacting a number
 of places including the Beer Institute,
these were the recommended ones. Any other suggestions are of 
course appreciated. 

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
  (we are going to of course download the FAQ from alt.beer too)

Dana Rachlin
Find/svp

-- 
Dana Rachlin			"I am not a nerd,geek, or propeller-head!
Find/SVP (212)645-4500 voice     Just like to shred on the Net!"
625 Ave of Americas, NYC,NY10011

---

From: [email-masked] (Joel Plutchak)
Date: 2 Jun 1994 15:31:43 GMT

>We are looking for 4 books that have old beer recipes. They are:
...
>these were the recommended ones. Any other suggestions are of 

   I have in the library in my study (it's actually just a couple
bookcases in a spare bedroom, but it sounds better as a library :)
a book entitled "The Homemade Beer Book" by Vrest Orton.  It's
basically a modern reprint of a 1930-ish (i.e. Prohibition era)
privately-circulated homebrewing club volume.  It's quite
interesting reading, and includes some recipes and brewing
procedures from that era.
   As a side note, the author is (was?) more well-known around
New England as the owner/operator of the Vermont Country Stores
(which is where I bought the book).
--
Joel Plutchak, Research Programmer/Analyst
Brown University Planetary Geology
http://lager.geo.brown.edu:8080/~plutchak/plutchak.html