Subject: Why We Eat What We Eat

From: [email-masked] (Robin Carroll-Mann)
Date: 11 Jul 1994 00:41:07 GMT

I just finished reading a fascinating book.  Some of you may have
already read it, as it was published in 1991, but I'd like to recommend it
to the rest.  The book is _Why We Eat What We Eat_ by Raymond Sokolov
(Summit Books, 1991 ISBN 0-671-66796-3).
    The book discusses the impact of the meeting of the Old and New Worlds
on all of the cuisines of the world.  Many of the topics have appeared on
this newgroup: the introduction of potatoes and tomatoes to Europe, Aztec
foods, etc.  In addition to the standard recounting of food "migrations" he
asks some interesting questions.  Why did chili peppers catch on in some
parts of China, but not others?  Can we honestly speak of "traditional"
dishes or cuisines if we take the long view?  Is there really such a thing
as an American cuisine?
    This is not a scholarly work.  It has no bibliography, no footnotes.
However, the author has been a food writer for many years, and seems to know
his stuff.  The text is dotted with quotes from and references to many other
sources, including _Petits Propos Culinaires_, the logbook of Christopher
Columbus, _Curye on Inglysch_, and _The Apples of New York_.
    Has anyone else out there read this book?  What did you think of it?

Robin Carroll-Mann
[email-masked]
SCA: Brighid ni Chiarain, Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 1994 13:50:35

>    Has anyone else out there read this book?  What did you think of it?

Hi Robin,

This book has been mentioned here before, and the general consensus seems to be
that it's a good read. I was personally a little disappointed, but that's just
me. Sokolov wrote a food history column for the magazine _Natural History_ for
about 20 years (he just retired), and the book appears to be a collection of
columns, maybe lightly edited. I had hoped for something a little more
substantive. He's written other books, and I recall _Fading Feasts_ was good.

Does anyone know if _Natural History_ will replace his column with another food
oriented one?

george

---

From: [email-masked] (Wayne Saville)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 1994 00:55:25 GMT

> Sokolov wrote a food history column for the magazine _Natural History_ for

I believe he passed away a month or two ago.

-- 
Wayne Saville

---

From: Robert And Cynthia Chiovoloni <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 94 23:19:06 -0500

>I believe he passed away a month or two ago.
 
How sad.  Natural History has seemed incomplete since he retired.