Subject: ancient scandinavian recipes

From: [email-masked] (elin edwards f)
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 1994 17:47:21 GMT

Since, apparently, the potato did not reach Europe until 1580, give or
take, its prominence in the Scandinavian diet (my Peterson uncles back
in Minnesota can do in at least 25 pounds for Christmas dinner alone) must be
rather recent.  What did Swedes and Finns eat pre-potato as a staple
carbohydrate?

--Elin Edwards
	Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario
	[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Young)
Date: 13 Jul 1994 05:07:03 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>rather recent.  What did Swedes and Finns eat pre-potato as a staple

The principal root crop in northwestern Europe in the middle ages was 
turnips. The evidence for this, I believe, is quite clear.
BTW, my grandmother's name was Elin, too -- Elin Eld.

-- 
                                Regards, Frank Young 
 [email-masked]                                    703-532-6284 
 6166 Leesburg Pike, Suite B-12,  Falls Church, Virginia 22044-2343 
 "Videmus nunc per speculum in aenigmate... Nunc cognosco ex parte"