Subject: REQUEST:INFO ON MEX FOOD*

From: [email-masked] (fluffy)
Date: 2 Jul 1994 10:51:44 GMT

I need all the information I can get on the historic/cultural role of food in 
Mexico - from preColumbian times to the present.  If anyone knows of 
sources for this information, or if you have personal observations you'd like
to pass on, all contributions would be very much appreciated.  Thanks in 
advance, Sarah Hoskin

---

From: [email-masked] (SDunavan)
Date: 7 Jul 1994 12:57:02 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (fluffy)
writes:

>Mexico - from preColumbian times to the present. 

A recent, entertaining overview that includes lots of information from
historical records on Aztec & Mayan food in Mexico:
   Coe, Sophie D.  (1994)  America's First Cuisines.  University of Texas
Press,
Austin.  The paperback version is under $20.  

Sandy Dunavan

---

From: [email-masked] (SDunavan)
Date: 7 Jul 1994 14:49:04 -0400

Sorry for the duplication of the Coe reference.  A few other, less
accessible references that may also help:

Adams, Richard N.  1960.  Food Habits in Latin America: A Preliminary
  Historical Survey.  In Human Nutrition: Historic and Scientific, ed. by
  Iago Galdston.  International Universities Press, NY.

Alcorn, Janis B.  1985.  Huastec Mayan Ethnobotany.  Univ. of Texas,
Austin.

Backstrand, Jeffrey R.  1991.  Patterns of Household Food Consumption in
Rural, Central Mexico.  Ph.D. dissertation, available from UMI in Ann
Arbor.

Benedict, F. G. and M. Steggerda  1936.  The Food of the Present-Day Maya 
 Indians of Yucatan.  Contributions to American Archaeology 18(III). 
Carniegie   Inst., Pittsburgh.

Super, John C.  1988.  Food, Conquest, and Colonization in Sixteenth
Century Spanish America.  University of New Mexico, Albuquerque.

    I especially enjoyed the last one.  If you need more info on
precolumbian food, please e-mail me directly and I'll send you a bunch of
archaeological references.
     Sandy Dunavan