Subject: RE: dentifrice

From: [email-masked] (Nicole Peyrafitte)
Date: 1 Jul 94 22:16:25

I have no idea what could be the ingredients of that "dentifrice"
.
But in case some people do not know what is "dentifrice", and could
help... dentifrice in french means toothpaste.
dent=tooth
frice= comes from friction, frotter=clean/brush
--

======================================================================
Nicole Peyrafitte       |
[email-masked]   |
snailmail:              | KISSIN' DON'T LAST...GOOD COOKIN' DO
6 Madison Place         |
Albany NY 12202         |                  
tel & fax:(518)426 0433 |
======================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (C R Pennell)
Date: 3 Jul 1994 01:12:38 GMT

Nicole Peyrafitte ([email-masked]) wrote:

: I have no idea what could be the ingredients of that "dentifrice"
: .
: But in case some people do not know what is "dentifrice", and could
: help... dentifrice in french means toothpaste.
: dent=tooth
: frice= comes from friction, frotter=clean/brush

A quick look at Collins (for Eng) and Petit Robert (the Grand Robert must 
be vast!) gives 16th cent (Collins) and 1560 (French - French precision 
here?) for the first uses of dentifirce in both countries and teh same 
derivation as Nicole gives.
Collins lists "Toothpaste" but unfortunately gives no 1st use date.
I'd bet toothpaste was originally an American usage - does nayone know?
AS to which came first, French or English, we'll leave that to the 
Assemblee nationale to legislate on, huh? Just think, if they discover it 
is an ENGLISH word, they'll have nothing to call toothpaste in French!

Richard Pennell, History National University of SIngapore
hiscrp@ leonis.nus.sg
my words, not nus's

: ======================================================================
: Nicole Peyrafitte       |
: [email-masked]   |
: snailmail:              | KISSIN' DON'T LAST...GOOD COOKIN' DO

Depends on your dentifrice, really.

From bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!news-feed-1.peachnet.edu!emory!europa.eng.gtefsd.com!howland.reston.ans.net!pipex!sunic!EU.net!uunet!cmpudata!  :kecooper Sun Jul  3 23:57:40 EDT 1994
Article: 2869 of rec.food.historic
Newsgroups: rec.food.historic
Subject: BJECT:food and readings (Brautigan for instance)
From:   :[email-masked]
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!news-feed-1.peachnet.edu!emory!europa.eng.gtefsd.com!howland.reston.ans.net!pipex!sunic!EU.net!uunet!cmpudata!  :kecooper
Distribution: world
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat,  2 Jul 94 20:56:00 -0500
Organization: -=-  Compu-Data * Turnersville, NJ  -=-
Lines: 34

KC>Message-ID: <kecooper.773037704@maroon>
KC>Newsgroups: rec.food.historic
KC>Organization: University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

KC>I'm looking for suggestions. What does one serve at a Richard Brautigan
KC>reading party? How about at Peter Beagle readings? Thomas Pynchon? 
KC>Jack
KC>Kerouac? Tom Robbins? 

Brautigan: cheap red wine, sugarless Kool Aide, allegator, trout, mayonaise, 
portions of the corpse in the refrigerator.

Beagle: anything described in the wedding in The Folk of the Air, pigeons, 
quail, strange mushrooms, a variety of wine, beer, ale and spirits, portions 
of the corpse left over from the Brautigan brunch (for Lyla) in general, 
good stuff in a baroque room, or a swarth of greenery on Midsummer's night 
or a well-kept graveyard, the kind you wouldn't mind spending eternity in 
while your friends partied above.

Kerouac: hobo stews, assorted, greasy spoon food, assorted forms of 
marijuana and amphetamines, with a final dessert of beer, with beer and 
beer, served in front of a TV set running endless repeats of I Love Lucy. 
Actually, Neal Cassady fans get everything but dessert, while Kerouac fans 
look on.

Pynchon and Robbins, I'd have to say anything named "Lite."

                                                dmr
                                        [[email-masked]]

[[email-masked]]
---
 * WaveRdr 1.0 [NR] * UNREGISTERED EVALUATION COP