Subject: REQUEST: Brine (Bryne?) Pickles

From: [email-masked] (Harold Roberts)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 1994 15:06:24 GMT

I'm trying to find a recipe for brine pickles for my sister.  She had one
of these pickles not long ago around the Chicago area.  I've been told that
the recipe for the pickles goes back a ways so that's why I'm posting here.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Either post here or email me.
Thanks in advance.
Harold Roberts

---

Harold Roberts : Loral Defense Systems - Arizona
[email-masked]
                 _______.   
 ______i________/________\_____v_/_)_________________
(______________/______________ _____                 |
              /            \  \)/   \________________|
             /'             `\
            ^                 \   "It is better to dwell
            |\             ,__ `\ in the wilderness, than
            \ \           / / \ | with a contentious and
             \ `~~~~~~~~~'' | | | an angry woman."
              \    PHC      |0>-'		Proverbs 21:19
               `            \_/
                `._________/'
                 
I speak for myslef, not for Loral.

---

From: [email-masked] (Bonnie Kooser)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 1994 01:42:23 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
> ______i________/________\_____v_/_)_________________

There are any number of recipes for pickles and essentially all of them
use a brine.  Without knowing what kind of pickle she likes it is hard
to say which recipe would be best for her.  A standard dill pickle or
brine pickle recipe is as follows:
make a brine of one cup pickling salt(do not use iodised salt), one
quart cider vinegar, to three quarts water.  Clean Pickling cucumbers
(that means relatively small ones) and pack into cleaned and sterilized
canning jars. One can now add a mutitude of other ingredients or just
those already mentioned.  Heat brine to a boil, pour into jars, wipe,
mouth of jar clean with clean damp cloth, and seal with new lid and a
clean ring.  I prefer to add a clove or two of garlic and either a fresh
stalk of dill or some dill seed to each jar for flavor.  There needs to
be at least an inch of room from the top of the stuff in the jar to the
top of the jar before adding the brine.  Then the jars get to sit until
the pickles cure. I usually leave them for three months, other six
weeks.  I would recomend your sister get a basic canning book which
would cover little details I have skipped over here.  She may prefer to
do her pickling in a crock but I have not done pickles that way, only
sauerkraut.  I know this isn't very specific but will it help?
Bonnie Kooser

---

From: [email-masked] (Charlie Sorsby)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 17:24:41 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Bonnie Kooser) writes:

[...]
= make a brine of one cup pickling salt(do not use iodised salt), one

It is my understanding that, not only should one not use iodised
salt, but one should not use table salt even of the uniodized
variety.  Something about anti-caking chemicals in table salt.
As I (vaguely) recall it makes the pickling brine cloudy or
something?

= quart cider vinegar, to three quarts water.  Clean Pickling cucumbers
[...]

Thanks, Bonnie.  I may work up my nerve and try it myself!

-- 
Best,

Charlie "Older than dirt" Sorsby				"I'm the NRA!"
	  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Susan Hattie Steinsapir)
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 1994 12:06:38 GMT

Say, hey!

Don't forget to sterilize the jars.  I'm pickling cucumber, cabbage and 
green tomatoes in the refrigerator.  I suddenly got paranoid about 
botulism.  The pickles are coming along if the samples I keep eating are 
any indication.  Of course, I may not have anything left if I keep 
sampling but what the heck!!!

Check any standard cookbook for a recipe.  I'd suggest _Joy of Cooking_.  
I remember the couple of times my mom made dill pickles in a crock.  The 
pickles were delicious.  

Use kosher salt or rock salt.  Check the label, it should just be salt, 
without any de-cakers, stabilizers, etc.  Garlic is always a good 
addition.  If you use spices, you whole ones, not powders.  Hot pepper is 
a good addition.  Peppercorns are nice, too.
-- 
Yours,
Susan
_____________________________________________________________________________
Susan Hattie Steinsapir       [email-masked]        Sacramento, California

---

From: [email-masked] (Charlie Sorsby)
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 18:01:18 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Susan Hattie Steinsapir) writes:
= Say, hey!
= 
= Don't forget to sterilize the jars.  I'm pickling cucumber, cabbage and 
= green tomatoes in the refrigerator.  I suddenly got paranoid about 
[...]
= Use kosher salt or rock salt.  Check the label, it should just be salt, 
		     ^^^^ ^^^^
Isn't rock salt the stuff sold for de-icing sidewalks and making
icecream freezers cold?  As I recall it isn't recommended for human
consumption, if it's the same stuff.

I think pickling salt may be what what you meant to say.

= without any de-cakers, stabilizers, etc.  Garlic is always a good 
= addition.  If you use spices, you whole ones, not powders.  Hot pepper is 
= a good addition.  Peppercorns are nice, too.

-- 
Best,

---

From: [email-masked] (John E. Taylor III)
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 07:41:10 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Susan Hattie
Steinsapir) wrote:

> botulism.

I was under the impression that botulism tended not to develop in acidic
foods, and that it was only a problem in relatively neutral ones (corn,
beans, meats and the like).  Again impression, but I thought this was one
of the reasons that pressure canning was recommended for such foods.

--
John Taylor    (W3ZID)     |  "The opinions expressed are those of the
[email-masked] |   writer and not of Rohm and Haas Company."

---

From: [email-masked] (John E. Taylor III)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 12:13:25 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> consumption, if it's the same stuff.

You may be thinking of calcium chloride, which is sometimes sold as "salt"
for de-icing sidewalks.  "Check the label, it should just be salt."  Kosher
salt and rock salt are merely larger chunks of the same stuff that, finely
ground, comes out of the salt shaker.