Subject: Shakespearian Food

From: [email-masked] (J.E.D)
Date: 8 Jun 1994 14:20:46 GMT

I'm looking for the recipies to any dishes that were popular during
Shakespeare's time.  Anything refered to in his literature would be greatly
appreciated (if you can, please let me know where the reference comes from)

Thanks,
J. E. Danziger

---

From: [email-masked] (marian walke)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 08:12:05 GMT

>appreciated (if you can, please let me know where the reference comes from)

The book you want is "Dining with William Shakespeare" by Madge Lorwin 
(New York: Atheneum, 1976).  Unfortunately now out of print, but try your 
library or interlibrary loan system.

It contains 13 menus with names such as "A Feast for Beatrice & Benedick" 
and "A Midsummer Night's Banquet." Each menu contains dishes from period 
cookbooks, with Mrs. Lorwin's reconstructions of them.  It also has scads 
of information about period dining, tableware, and customs, as well as an 
extensive bibliography.

Good luck!

--Old Marian ([email-masked])