Subject: Piccadilly

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 May 1994 21:12:50 EST

According to Pennant the antiquary, London's famous thoroughfare derives its
name from "a sort of cake or turnover called Piccadillas which were sold in
the nearvby fields.  Probably a raised cake like Simnel.  Any academics to
confirm this?  Better yet, a modern recipe.  

Pat Fortnum
Toronto

---

From: [email-masked] (C R Pennell)
Date: 20 May 1994 22:51:23 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
: According to Pennant the antiquary, London's famous thoroughfare derives its
: name from "a sort of cake or turnover called Piccadillas which were sold in
: the nearvby fields.  Probably a raised cake like Simnel.  Any academics to
: confirm this?  Better yet, a modern recipe.  

: Pat Fortnum

Given your surname have you thought of contacting Fortnum & Mason's? They 
are on Picadilly, and it's just the sort of arcan thing that someone in 
their P.R. dept might know, or fancy finding out?

I'm being perfectly serious BTW, so don't tak ethis as rude!

Richard Pennell History National; University of SIngapore.
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry Shein)
Date: Mon, 30 May 1994 03:48:10 GMT

From: [email-masked]
>confirm this?  Better yet, a modern recipe.  

I remember reading recently the name was derived from a garment or
type of lace (I forget tho I think it was a lace.) The area around
Picadilly Circus had some famous factories that produced this,
including the factory that first popularized this (the name might even
derive from that fellow's name.) This would probably be more like 18th
century.

Who knows tho.

-- 
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email-masked]          | uunet!world!bzs
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 617-739-0202        | Login: 617-739-WRLD