Subject: Victorian "pickle"

From: [email-masked] (Varda Ullman Novick)
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 02:13:28 GMT

In a novel I just read which takes place during the Victorian era,
there is mention of pickle as a major part of a meal, like "mutton and 
pickle sandwich" or "a slice of beef and pickle."

What kind of pickle could the author have been referring to?

-- 
Varda Ullman Novick
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Insanity's Mistress)
Date: 2 Jun 94 16:35:13 EDT

> What kind of pickle could the author have been referring to?
As a wild guess from the phrases you gave and some vague recollections of 
background knowledge, I'd say it was probably something more along the lines 
of a relish (which my mother, an Englishwoman, calls "pickle"), involving some 
form of vegetable (of the cucumber type?  I'm not sure), onions, vinagre, and 
seasonings.

--Jane

---

From: [email-masked] ("Mary Branscombe")
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 17:45:50 GMT

victorian pickles
well, it could be lots of sorts of pickle as it is still common to 
serve pickle with cold meat. Often it's a mix of vegetables and onion 
in the pickle (pickled onions per se are often seen as food for the 
lower classes ;-) ). Today this is often called a sweet pickle - the 
commonest is Cross and Blackwell's Branston pickle. I think it's more 
the natural accompaniment than a physcially large portion pickle.

Mary MerryTail
+-----------------------------------------+--------------------------+
| Organisation: Me? You're joking, right? [email-masked] |
|             Officially "too bizarre" and proud of it               |
|  Evolution - 5-8th April, the 1996 Eastercon | Ask me about it ;-)  |
+-----------------------------------------+--------------------------+

---

From: [email-masked] (Sharen Rund)
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 15:34:32 GMT

Varda Ullman Novick ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In a novel I just read which takes place during the Victorian era,
: there is mention of pickle as a major part of a meal, like "mutton and 
: pickle sandwich" or "a slice of beef and pickle."

: What kind of pickle could the author have been referring to?

there is a German dish that rolls beef around a pickle (can't remember 
its name) - when sliced the pickle is right there in the middle of it...

: -- 
: Varda Ullman Novick
: [email-masked]

--
____________    __      ____________  "They that can give up essential
\_____     /   /_ \     \     _____/  liberty to obtain a little
 \_____    \____/  \____/    _____/  temporary safety deserve
  \_____                    _____/  neither liberty nor safety."
     \___________  ___________/          --Benjamin Franklin
               /    \           ALL disclaimers apply ....
               ~~~~~~

---

From: Robert And Cynthia Chiovoloni <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 94 19:07:46 -0500

who can blame you for forgetting rouladen. I'm not sure that all preparations
of rouladen MUST have pickles in them but certainly a preponderance of those
I've seen have.