Subject: Walnut pickles

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 1994 17:15:40 GMT

Does anyone out there know if walnut pickles (also known as pickled 
walnuts) are still available? This condiment is something I remember 
enjoying with leg of lamb and other roasts, at home when I was growing 
up.  The walnuts maintained their shape in the brine but became soft 
and crumbly and very black in color. It took a bit of courage to try the 
first time, but I never met a person who didn't rave about them, once 
initiated. Crosse and Blackwell used to sell I think... Any other 
experiences with these or other non-mainstream condiments?   cgs
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Charles G. Spetland           [email-masked]
180 Wilson Library            Voice: (612) 624 7854
University of Minnesota       Fax:   (612) 626 9353
Minneapolis, MN  55455        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

---

From: Alan Deacon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 1994 12:34:40 GMT

>experiences with these or other non-mainstream condiments?   cgs

They are still available here in the UK. The ones I have are not Crosse
and Blackwell, but some minor firm. If you like I can examine the label
and re-post. Another walnut preserve you might enjoy is a cypriot dish
called glyko. Basically the green walnuts (or other fruit [sic]) are
preserved in a honey based syrup, rather than a pickle. The result is
*very* sweet, best eaten along with strong black coffee (turkish/greek
style) and a glass of water.
--
	Alan Deacon (User Services)
	Central Computing Service		Email: [email-masked]
	University College London		Tel: +44 71-380 7359
	Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT		Fax: +44 71-388 5406

---

From: irina@rempt (Irina Rempt)
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 94 23:30:49 +0100

In <[email-masked]> "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> writes:
>walnuts) are still available? 

I don't know where to buy them, but I have a recipe for them:

----- quote from Jane Grigson in _Good Things_ quoting Mrs Beeton -----

100 walnuts
salt and water
to each quart of vinegar:
   2 oz. whole black peppercorns
   1 oz, allspice
   1 oz. bruised ginger

'Procure the walnuts while young'- from the beginning to the middle of
July, before they harden - 'be careful they are not woody, and prick
them well with a fork; prepare a strong brine of salt and water (4 lb.
salt to each gallon of water) into which put the walnuts, letting them
remain 9 days, and changing the brine every third day; drain them off,
put them on a dish, place it in the sun until they become perfectly 
black, which will be in 2 or 3 days; have ready dry jars, into which
place the walnuts, and no not quite fill the jars. Boil sufficient
vinegar to cover them for 10 minutes, with spices in the above 
proportion, and pour it hot over the walnuts, which must be quite 
covered with the pickle; tie down with bladder,' - use small bottling
jars, which fasten tight with a rubber ring - 'and keep in a dry place.
They will be fit for use in a month, and will keep good 2 or 3 years.'

*Note*: For best results use sea salt and wine vinegar. You could also
insert an onion or two, stuck with cloves, in the middle of the nuts, 
as Hannah Glasse and Eliza Acton did, and augment the spices with
mustard seed and mace. Eat with cheese and salads; add 10 or 12 to a
beef stew as a cheap piquant substitute for oysters.

------------------------------- end quote -----------------------------

Oh, for a walnut tree...

	Irina

-- 
----
--------                                    
---------------- ================================= Irina Rempt-Drijfhout