Subject: Mongol and Russian Food

From: [email-masked] (Aileve)
Date: 3 Dec 1994 18:20:05 -0500

I've just been asked to do a Russian/Mongol feast in the SCA.
Any hints? I do not have Russian or Mongol persona and have no experience
in this area.
What did those Mongols eat anyway?
Please address any help to [email-masked] or [email-masked] or NECI
[email-masked].
Thanks much,
Noreen Ni'Cuhain of the Ruthendales, Trimaris

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce R. Fortnum)
Date: 07 Dec 1994 13:46:32 GMT

Aileve:

You might try the Russian Zakuska, or 'little bites', a pre-dinner buffet
consisting of caviars (both red and black) pates, pickled mushrooms, cold
meats and fish (both smoked and pickled) sometimes one hot dish, fruit and
always vodkas (three different flavours preferably).

There is a definite course of action when participating.  First you gulp a
three-eighth ounce shot of ice-cold vodka from a liqueur glass.  Don't sip. 
Swallow.  Then some caviar.  Then another vodka.  Then smoked sausage on
crustless pumpernickel.  Then vodka.  The a couple of pickled mushrooms. 
Then vodka.  Maybe then some smoked salmon or end with fruit.  Then vodka.

And if that doesn't sasify your guests.  Send out for Chinese food.

There I go again.  Sorry.

Cheers

Bruce Fortnum
F&M
Toronto