Subject: Info sought on original Thanksgiving feast

From: [email-masked] (Lon Huber)
Date: 13 Dec 1994 01:52:30 -0800

I'd be grateful for any information that would help me make next year's
Thanksgiving meal something my friends and family will remember: a
recreation, as closely as possible, of the foods actually eaten by the
original participants.

I have already done a little bit of reading on this, and have so far found
no references to specific dishes, so I'm expecting to have to do some
guesswork based on whatever I can dig up about Elizabethan and Native
American cuisines, the provisions of the Mayflower, the game and edible
flora of the northeast, etc. I'm aware that they _didn't_ serve turkey,
and that there would likely have been a shortage of meat had the locals
not brought several deer to table. I also heard that the pie as we know it
had not been invented yet. It would make sense that there was a fair
amount of seafood and probably some sort of beer or ale.

Any pointers or other info would be very much appreciated. I'm also making
use of local non-net resources, and I promise to summarize all my findings
and post them back to the group as I go along. 

Thanks!

============================================================
      Lon Huber   =   [email-masked]   =   Go, Buzz, Go!      
============================================================