Subject: Re: Mongol and Russian Food

From: [email-masked] (Bruce R. Fortnum)
Date: 07 Dec 1994 00:55:47 GMT

A summary of Mongolian cuisine can be written on a half page  of letter-size
paper, double- spaced.

Mongolia is self-sufficient in vegetables.  Mongolians don't eat vegetables.
They have one method of cookery.  Boiling.  They have one food.  Yak.  They
boil yak one way.  Whole, with the hair on.

Mongolian gastronomers however, do take the innards out and eat them first as
an appetizer, often accompanied by fermented yak milk.  After two swallows of
fermented yak milk, you can't tell the yaks from the Mongolians.  Not much
difference anyway.

There are no pubs in Mongolia.

(sorry, I just couldn't resist)

Cheers.

Bruce Fortnum

---

From: [email-masked] (Geoff Engel)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 22:21:36 GMT

Ginny Beatty <[email-masked]> writes:

>>In article <[email-masked]> Bruce R. Fortnum writes: 
>*snip*

>Is this meant to be a joke?

>Ahem,

>Actually, Mongols and surrounding nomadic tribes were rather fond of roast 
>mutton, as roasting/grilling used less fuel and cooking equipment than boiling. 
>Grains included rice, millet, and wheat products. 
>Beverages included kumiss (fermented mare's milk), tea (served with yak butter), 
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>and arrack (distilled liquor). 

_snip_

A hint...do _NOT_ drink this.  Imagine highly alcoholic sourdough 
starter...that oozes all over the table when you open the bottle.  It is 
quite vile, and explains why the Mongols were so effective in conquering 
Asia and Europe...they were looking for something else to drink.

Actually, I have had to help judge koumiss at a brewing competition.  We 
had about six different bottles, and they all oozed and tasted horrible.  
It is a _mistake_  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

-Sean mac Aodha O' Conghailie, aka Spitboy/West/Mists/Mists/Sir Alail 
Horsefriend

-- 
Sean mac Aodha ui Conghailie/West/Mists/Mists/Sir Alail Horsefriend
_Dum vivimus, vivamus!_  'While we live, let us _live_!'
_A moi!  M'aidez!  Les vaches!_
_Ave, Imperatrix, nos morituri te-!_
_

A