Subject: Snickerdoodles

From: [email-masked] (Keith Stavely)
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 1994 23:34:25 GMT

The children's book _Slumps, Grunts, and Snickerdoodles: What Colonial America 
Ate and Why_ by Lila Perl (New York: Houghton Mifflin, 1975) has a chapter on 
snickerdoodles, including a recipe.  Some highlights: "'Snicker' may have come 
>from  the Dutch word *snekrad*, which means snail-wheel and applies to one of 
the round wheels found in clockworks; on the other hand, 'snicker' may have 
come from the German *Schnecke*, meaning snail.  The Germans also give the name 
*Schnecke* to a sweet bun made of cinnamon-sprinkled dough, rolled up 
pinwheel-fashion and sliced to resemble snails.  Snickerdoodles are not nearly 
so fancy or complicated, but they do have cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on their 
tops." p. 71.

---

From: [email-masked] (SDunavan)
Date: 5 Dec 1994 16:15:07 -0500

I've also heard snickerdoodles called "Schneken noodles" in more recent
times, but unfortunately can't remember the cookbook.  My grandmother
claimed they were an old Pennsylvania Dutch (i.e. German, not actually
>from  Holland, the name is from 'Deutsch') colonial recipe.