Subject: Re: Request for list of apple varieties & others

From: [email-masked]
Date: 16 Oct 94 16:31:16 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Shel Talmy) writes:
> Can anybody direct me to an on-line list of apple varieties, s
> during a recent discussion, I was told there at least a thousand
> varieties in North America.  As I can name perhaps two dozen
> if stretched, I'd like to know something about the vast variety
> of others, and where to purchase them if in fact they are grown.

I don't know of any on-line lists, but you should look at the 
most recent edition of _Fruit, Berry and Nut Inventory: An inventory
of nursery catalods listing all fruit, berry and nut varieties available
by mail order in the United States_, by Kent Whealy.  The edition
I have at hand in 1989, but I believe there's a second edition out.
Publisher is Seed Saver's Exchange, Decorah, Iowa.

The Whealys have been instrumental in keeping "heritage" strains of
fruits and vegetables from around the world available, thanks to 
the efforts of thousands of volunteer propagators.  I was lucky
enough to be given a tour of their Heritage Farm last fall by the
orchardist, and sampled some wonderful apples I'd only read of
previously.  Among the treasures there were a collection of
grapes bred for cold climates, and rescued when the breeder's
farm was sold after his death.

Kent Whealy was a recipient of one of the McArthur "Genius"
awards for his work with heritage seeds.

> 
> And as long as I'm making a request, the above applies to lists
> of varieties of other fruits and vegetables like potatoes, plums
> etc.  Thanks for your help.

Ah, well, you probably also want the _Garden Seed Inventory_, which
is in its second or third edition by now, and perhaps a membership
in SSE, so you can swap heritage seed with other gardeners.  

For more information, try Seed Saver's Exchange, Decorah, Iowa
52101.  (yes, Decorah is small enough that that much address will
get it there!)

Kay Klier  Biology Dept   University of Northern Iowa

---

From: [email-masked] (ab61)
Date: 17 Oct 1994 09:00:09 GMT

The Apple Book, by Joan Morgan

The author is one of the leading lights of the Brogdale Trust,
a living collection of over 2000 apple varieties (at least two 
trees of each variety) in Kent UK - well worth a visit. It is
the largest public collection in Europe.
They also run an identification service, and will provide
graft wood if you need a particular variety.