Subject: CHALLENGE III: Yes, I'm still doing this.

From: [email-masked] (Mark Diller)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 14:16:49 GMT

Well, there's been no response yet to either of the first two challenges,
but people keep writing to tell me what a great idea this is, so dadgum it,
I'm going to stick with it.  So there.

The scenario remains the same.  You are a contestant in a cooking contest.
You find yourself in a kitchen, with a marvelously-stocked spice rack and
a plentiful supply of butter, olive oil, and other edible lipids.  In
addition to these basic ingredients you are presented with a box containing:

leftover turkey (in honor of the season)
yeast
flour
feta cheese
heavy cream
porcini mushrooms
shallots

You are expected to come up with a recipe using any of the above ingredients.
You are not required to use *all* of the ingredients.  Please post your recipe
to this group with the word "CHALLENGE", in caps, in the subject line.  Your
recipe is due within two weeks from today, Monday the 28th.  I look forward
to your recipes.

Mark
-- 
Mark Diller - Univ. Chicago Divinity School - aka [email-masked]
              tauta de egeneto oudepote, esti de aei

---

From: [email-masked] (Johanna Turner)
Date: 28 Nov 1994 23:05:05 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>Well, there's been no response yet to either of the first two challenges,

This sounds like fun. So, I'll play.

>addition to these basic ingredients you are presented with a box containing:

I really sort of wanted eggs to be in this, but they weren't. So, here's
what you get, maybe even better this way: (I don't do real recipes, so this
is more of how I'd put it together.)

>leftover turkey (in honor of the season)

	Turkey Pot Pie--extraordinaire
First use a mixture of flour and butter to make puff pastry (or just a
normal flaky pie crust). You want it large enough to cover the top of a pie
plate. (The Way to Cook has good recipes for both, including mock puff
pastry.)

Warm a little cream, soak a pinch of safron in it.
Slice the mushrooms and shallots. Saute in butter, adding a little white
wine if it's included in the spice rack. And a little salt (very little) and
pepper. When they've given off their juices and evaporated most of them add
a little more butter and a little flour for thickening. Add cream to make a
thick white sauce. Add chopped up turkey and some crumbled feta cheese. Add
some pepper, the soaked safron, and a pinch of ginger and a pinch of
coriander (ground of course) and a very tiny pinch of cloves.

Pour the thick sauce and stuff into a pie plate, cover with puff pastry or
pie crust, cutting out some designs for on top. Bake for 35 minutes or until
puffed and golden on top.

Now, this was just done with me sitting in front of my computer, so actually
making it in the kitchen might require some fine adjusting of the spices.
Somebody can bravely try it and tell me what you think. I have made turkey
pot pie with puff pastry crust and it is just marvelous.

	Johanna

--
--------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]		Johanna Turner 	
Computer User Services Reed College

---

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Gowen)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 07:48:28 GMT

>recipe is due within two weeks from today, Monday the 28th.  I look forward

         A REAL SWELL RECIPE FOR TURKEY N' BUTTER N' STUFF
---------------------------------------------
1 butter
1 olive oil
1 leftover turkey (in honor of the season)
1 yeast
1 flour
1 feta cheese
1 heavy cream
1 porcini mushrooms
1 shallots

Take all the ingredients, mix 'em up real good and cook 'em for a while.  
Then eat them.
-------------------------------------------
 
OK, how'd I do?  Do I win a prize?  :)

-kevin
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Chong Angela)
Date: 29 Nov 1994 02:40:41 GMT

Mark Diller ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Well, there's been no response yet to either of the first two challenges,
: but people keep writing to tell me what a great idea this is, so dadgum it,
: I'm going to stick with it.  So there.

: leftover turkey (in honor of the season)
: yeast
: flour
: feta cheese
: heavy cream
: porcini mushrooms
: shallots

May I suggest the following possibilities:
1. Turkey Massala with Mint/Garlic Naan
2. Turkey Rissoles (use flour, water, seasoning for the crepes, dice the 
turkey and use with mushrooms in a white sauce, wrap and deep fry)
3.Turkey (cold) served with mushrooms, (any spring onions?) accompanied 
by Mandarin Pancakes (the type you get with Peking Duck) and a sweet 
black sauce.
4. Braised Turkey flavoured with cinnamon served with Chinese Mantou buns 
(these are flour,sugar and baking powder, steamed and may then be deep 
fried if desired. Much like the bread pastry covering the steamed 
dumplings - pau)
5.Turkey pasties (fried or baked) - can put cheese into the filling but 
as you can see, I'm not particularly enamoured of cheese. Maybe cheese 
dip then.
Sorry, no patience to put down detailed recipes! But all are possibilities!
Angela

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Diller)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 13:56:39 GMT

Thank you, Johanna.  You've renewed my faith in this little diversion of mine.
No matter the quality of the other challenge recipes that will hopefully
follow, you can always say that yours was the first.

Now, I doubt this will get you discounts at the local butcher shop, but it's
better than a sharp stick in the eye. :)

Mark

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Diller)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 14:14:26 GMT

Errr ... sorry about that cross-post, guys;  I honestly don't know how it
happened.

Mark

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Zelchenko)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 16:15:13 GMT

CALZONI GRECHI DI TACCHINO (c) 1994, Peter Zelchenko

Prepare a white stock using turkey carcass.  In the meantime, add yeast
to warm water.  When yeast has dissolved, add olive oil and enough flour
to make a bread dough.  Knead and set aside, covered, to double in bulk.

Pull apart (do not cut) turkey meat into bitesize pieces.  Put in large
mixing bowl and combine with crumbled feta cheese, chopped mushrooms,
minced shallots, oregano, sage, and salt and pepper to taste.

In a medium saucepan, melt butter with olive oil and add flour to make
a blond roux.  Add turkey stock and cook for one half hour, adding more
stock or reducing to bring it to milkshake consistency.  The sauce is
done when you no longer can taste the flour.  Add minced mushrooms,
thin with heavy cream, then add lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper
to taste.  Give the sauce a slight gloss with a tablespoon of butter.
Set in a bain marie and stir occasionally to avoid forming a skin.  Preheat
oven to 425 degrees.

Punch down the raised dough and roll out gently on a floured surface
to approximately 1/4" thickness.  Cut circles about 6" in size, or larger
or smaller to your preference.  Place filling mixture in center of
dough circle (be careful not to overfill).  Brush the edges with water
and fold over to make a semicircle.  Fold the edges into a decorative
pattern.  Move to cookie sheet and brush the tops with a mixture of sugar
and water to promote color.  Gash calzoni slightly on a bias.

Move the calzoni into the oven and reduce heat to 375.  Bake 25 to 35
minutes or until the crust is a pleasing color.  Beat remaining cream
until it will flow through a spout.  Coat bottom of plate with sauce,
then apply cream from a dispenser in decorative lines.  Using a broken
toothpick, pull through the cream lines to make an attractive design.
When the calzoni have cooled slightly, slice thickly and transfer the
slices to the prepared plate.  Top with more crumbled feta and decorate
with bay leaves.  Serve immediately.

-- 

Peter Zelchenko ([email-masked])  |  InfoComm Electronic Pre-Press
Chicago, Illinois                  |  312-751-1220 (w), 312-RED-BIRD (h)

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Zelchenko)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 16:21:20 GMT

TURKEY SALATA (c) 1994 Peter Zelchenko

Using very little yeast, make a semidry dough and set aside, covered
with a towel.

Pick dark meat and light meat into finger-sized pieces.  Crumble feta.
Rough-cut porcini mushrooms.  Combine all three together in a bowl.

Mince shallots and add to 1/4 c. light vinegar, along with salt and
pepper, and some oregano.  Whisk in extra virgin olive oil in a 1:1
ratio to the vinegar.  Add to turkey mixture and set aside to marinate.

Heat frying oil.  Break dough into uniform balls a little larger than
a golf ball.  Roll out very thin, to a diameter of approximately 8".
Turn into a very hot, unlubricated frying pan and cook on both sides.
Transfer these into the 375-degree oil with an empty #8 can and hold the
dough down with the can until it maintains a bowl shape.  Remove and
drain upside-down.

Whip cream to soft peaks and fold into turkey/dressing mixture.  Fill
deep-fried cups with mixture and dress with lemon slices.  Serve
before a red meat course with a robust, semidry red wine.

--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Dec 1994 01:08:40 GMT

Ok, here is one for the books.

CHALLENGE 

Turkey Sauteed with porcini mushrooms and shallots

1. In a 10 inch cast iton skillet,  heat 1T butter and 1T oliver oil til the
point of fragrance.  Ass 2 diced shallots and saute until soft. 

2 .  Add 1/2 C sliced porcini mushrooms, 1/4-1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black
pepper (to taste), a pinch each of marjoram, rosemary and thyme. Saute
until shrooms are tender.

3. Add a few tablespoons of turkey stock prepared from turkey carcass (boil
carcass slowly in 4 qts, water with celery, carrots, onions, and bouquet garni)
4. In a separate skillet,place sliced turkey breast ( about 5-6 1/4 inch
slices) in 1/2 inch simmering turkey stock to heat them through. 
4. Back to our first skillet....turn off when shrooms are tender and wait for 
turkey to be heated. Cover turkey and set aside.  RE-heat the shroom
mixture and add 1/4 c heavy cream and a hint of cayenne pepper and
a hint of ginger (by this I mean less than 1/8 tsp). Heat but do not
boil sauce and spoon over turkey slices
Enjoy.
I usually do this with leftover turkey or chicken--
E. Kokotos Leonardi