Subject: Re: History of British food

From: [email-masked] (Charlie Sorsby)
Date: 20 Nov 1994 22:50:54 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Katie B.) writes:
= Someone will probably have mentioned this one already, but try:
= 
= _Food and Cooking in Medieval Britain: History and Recipies_, Maggie 
= Black, English Heritage, 1985, ISBN 1 85074 081 X. 
= 
= This is part of a series which covers British cooking, prehistoric to 
= 19th C.

The following are mainly recipes but may be of interest.

_Seven Centuries of English Cooking_, Maxime de la Falaise, Grove
Press, 1973,  ISBN 0-8021-3296-0.

_A Taste of Scotland_, Theodora Fitzgibbon, Houghton Mifflin,
1971.

I believe there may also be some historical notes in _Crumpets and
Scones_, Iris Ihde Frey, St. Martin's Press.

-- 
Best,

Charlie "Older than dirt" Sorsby				"I'm the NRA!"
	  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Aline S. Faben)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 07:03:25 GMT

Just published in the U.S. this month:

Elizabeth David,  "English Bread and Yeast Cookery," Biscuit Books, Newton 
Massachusetts.

This is an American reissue of the 1977 British classic.  It includes American 
translations of equipment and measurements.

David actually reviews briefly the history of baking in the world.  It even 
shows the connection between brewing and baking, which is very strong.  (Think 
about it!)

---

From: [email-masked] (Ray Goddard)
Date: 23 Nov 1994 07:18:44 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Michael Kucher) says:
>
>Try 'Food in England' by Dorothy Hartley, originally published by 
Macdonald & Co. I have a copy printed by the Readers Union in 1963 
and have come across several other copies in my travels. A most 
informative book.