Subject: Re: Dance Music and Garlic

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Bloch)
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 04:48:38 GMT

Struan Gray <[email-masked]> quoted:
>>    'Philip Stubbes deplored the elaborate dishes that had become common
>>by 1585, noting that "every dish [has] a several sauce appropriate to his
>>kind."  Perhaps this new enthusiasm for sauces could be traced to the
>>"musical headed Frenchmen" that the nobility had begun to employ as
>>cooks.'

Francois Velde <[email-masked]> replied:
>You mean to say the English were on the right track for a while?  What
>happened, I wonder?  The Commonwealth, maybe...

Yes, the English had wonderful food, not easily distinguishable from
food in France at the same time, until the 16th or 17th century.  For
example, 15th-century English cookbooks list a great variety of sauces,
including mustard, galantine, cameline, aliper, ginger, "sawse vert",
sauce madam, "Saracen sauce", "sawse blaunche", "sawse noyre", and a
number of others, each with what kind of meat it was supposed to
accompany.

Followups to rec.food.historic, where this belongs.

--
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           [email-masked]
                                        Math/CS Dept, Adelphi University