Subject: Alexandre Dumas

From: [email-masked] (Fr|ydis Romundset)
Date: 31 Oct 1994 13:41:26 GMT

I'm a great fan of Alexandre Dumas and I'm also very fond of cooking.
I've heard that Dumas published a book of typical french receits from
the 17th century or something. Does anybody have an idea if this book
is avaliable today. In that case, where?

Please answer to:
                 [email-masked]

THANK YOU!

           -Froeydis.

---

From: [email-masked] (Leah Smith)
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 94 00:11:46 GMT

>is avaliable today. In that case, where?

Dumas pe`re wrote Le Grand Dictionnaire de Cuisine; it was published
posthumously in 1873.  The original was some 600,000 words long.  Most
English editions are abridged.  The one I have is titled "Dumas on
Food," translated by Alan and Jane Davidson and published in London in
1978 by The Folio Society.  There are others. 

--
Leah Smith                                      [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Bloch)
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 14:55:16 GMT

>is avaliable today. In that case, where?

The original book was entitled "Le Grand Dictionnaire de Cuisine",
published in 1873 (three years after Dumas died).  An abridged version,
"Le Petit Dictionnaire de Cuisine", containing only the recipes, was
published in 1882.  A modern edition, entitled "Alexandre Dumas'
Dictionary of Cuisine -- a literary & practical guide to the pleasures
of the table" is available in paperback from Fireside, a subsidiary of
Simon & Schuster.  It's edited, abridged, and translated by
Louis Colman, copyright 1958, 1986 (paperback edition 1990),
ISBN 0-671-72608-0.

I picked up a copy from a sale table, and haven't read much of it yet.
edited, abridged, and translated
by Louis Colman", is available
--
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           [email-masked]
                                        Math/CS Dept, Adelphi University