Subject: Medieva?

From: [email-masked] (Brian D. Rauchfuss)
Date: 21 Oct 1994 00:35:11 GMT

A few months ago someone posted a series of articles entitled something like
"Medieva," containing some recipes from the middle ages.  I saved it, but it
seems to have disappeared off my file system.  Does anyone have a copy they
could send me?

Brian Rauchfuss
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Donna Bowers)
Date: 21 Oct 1994 13:44:38 GMT

Brian D. Rauchfuss ([email-masked]) wrote:
: A few months ago someone posted a series of articles entitled something like
: "Medieva," containing some recipes from the middle ages.  I saved it, but it
: seems to have disappeared off my file system.  Does anyone have a copy they
: could send me?

: Brian Rauchfuss
: [email-masked]

I don't have that thread but boy do I have Medieval recipes out the 
wazoo. What were you interested in?

--
***********************************************
Good, Bad, ...I'm the guy with the gun...-Ash
 
[email-masked]
 
***********************************************

---

From: Black Tauna <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 23:19:52 -0400

Stephen
The recipes I intend to post are from Forme of Curye, heiatt & Butler, Le 
Menagier, Powers and Apicius, Dover. Dr. Friedman also has an excellent 
set of books out on medieval recipes. He posts here occaisonally and is also
a great source of ancient dishes.

[email-masked]

On Tue, 25 Oct 1994, Stephen Bloch wrote:

> You write:
> >Would people be interested in my posting Medieval recipes? If so, what 
> >sort? Meat, veggie, dairy? What time period is of the most interest?
> 
> I'm open to any of those.  I only ask that you make very clear where you
> got the recipes from, and your reason for believing that they are in
> fact medieval.  If you plan to post modern interpretations, please also
> give the original recipes for comparison.  I would suggest not posting
> recipes from the most widely available books, e.g. _Pleyn Delit_,
> _To the King's Taste_, or (heaven forbid!) _Fabulous Feasts_, since
> many of the people who would be interested already have those books.
> 
>                                                  Stephen Bloch
>                                            [email-masked]
>                                         Math/CS Dept, Adelphi University
>

---

From: [email-masked] (Robin Carroll-Mann)
Date: 26 Oct 1994 06:37:24 GMT

>sort? Meat, veggie, dairy? What time period is of the most interest?

    I would certainly be interested... all types and periods are of
interest, but good veggie recipes are always a bit harder to come by.

Robin Carroll-Mann
SCA: Brighid ni Chiarain, Settmour Swamp, East
[email-masked]

---

From: Black Tauna <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 11:46:10 -0400

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Donna Bowers)
Date: 1 Nov 1994 01:34:56 GMT

Karen Goertzel ([email-masked]) wrote:

: I'd be happy to post some myself, if you're interested in having a second
: source.  I've also got ancient Roman, Tudor, Stuart, and Georgian recipes.

: Karen Mercedes
: [email-masked]
: -- 

The more the merrier, post away!
--
***********************************************
Good, Bad, ...I'm the guy with the gun...-Ash
 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Bloch)
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 04:08:02 GMT

Among the responses to this thread, at least one asked for "veggie"
recipes, and another asked for Yuletide recipes.  I don't really know of
Yuletide recipes, but I can change the subject to Lent :-)

Vegetarianism per se doesn't seem to have been a significant phenomenon
in the Middle Ages, but every good Catholic was at least pescovegetarian
for about a third of the days in the year, between Lent, Fridays, and
various other meatless days.  So an awful lot of recipes in medieval
cookbooks are followed by the words "When it is in Lent," or "On fast
days," and a pescovegetarian version of the same dish.  One of the better
known examples is Custard Lumbard, which I copy from Harl. ms. 4016
(as printed in EETS's _Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books_, p. 74):

Take good creme, and yolkes And white of egges, and breke hem thereto,
and streyne hem all thorgh a straynour till hit be so thik that it woll
bere him self; And take faire Mary, And Dates, cutte in ij. or iij. and
prunes, and put hem in faire coffyns of paast; And then put the coffyn
in an oven, And lete hem bake till thei be hard, And then drawe hem
oute, and putte the licoure into the Coffyns, And put hem into the oven
ayen, And lete hem bake till they be ynogh, but cast sugur and salt in
thi licour whan ye putte hit into the coffyns; And if hit be in lenton,
take creme of Almondes, And leve the egges And the Mary.

For those unaccustomed to reading 15th-century English, a rough
translation:
Take good cream, and yolks and white of eggs, and break them into the
cream, and beat it until thick [I haven't yet had the patience to try
"beating" eggs with a strainer].  Take marrow, and dates cut in two
or three pieces, and prunes, and put them in pie crusts, and bake the
pie crusts until hard.  Take them out, mix some sugar and salt into
the cream and egg mixture, pour it over the marrow and fruit, and bake
until done.  In Lent, use almond cream in place of [cream,] eggs and
marrow.

I've made this (the vegetarian version), and found it quite tasty.
As I understand the rules of Lent, cow's milk, eggs, and marrow are all
forbidden, so the almond cream is supposed to replace them all.

For other vegetarian medieval recipes, SCA members reading this might
look up my article in _Tournaments Illuminated_ issue 96 (Fall 1990),
which gives a number of vegetarian recipes from 13th-century Andalusia.

---

From: [email-masked] (Charlie Sorsby)
Date: 1 Nov 1994 16:21:44 GMT

Did I miss the promised recipes when I was out of town for about a
week (13-18 October) and then took a while to get caught up and
back to reading?

If so, is there an archive?  Or could someone who saved them all,
email them to me?

-- 
Best,

Charlie "Older than dirt" Sorsby				"I'm the NRA!"
	  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Karen Goertzel)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 1994 19:10:02 GMT

[email-masked] (charles nevile) writes:

>Cyrus H. Lendvay ([email-masked]) wrote:
>: In article <[email-masked]>,
>: Black Tauna  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>: >
>: >
>: >Would people be interested in my posting Medieval recipes? If so, what 
>: >sort? Meat, veggie, dairy? What time period is of the most interest?
>: >
>: YES!!YES!!  I have been looking for period midieval recipes for quite a 
>: while now.  I'd be most interested in meat and veggie (not necessarily
>: vegitarian) recipes.  If others aren't all that interested, feel free to 
>: use e-mail.

>Seems to me people would be interested (Because I am :) )
>besides, isn't that what a newsgroup is for? (opinions welcome, flames
>to alt.anywhere.else)

>charles

I'd be happy to post some myself, if you're interested in having a second
source.  I've also got ancient Roman, Tudor, Stuart, and Georgian recipes.

Karen Mercedes
[email-masked]
-- 
______________________________________________
| We are inclined to believe those we do not |
| know, because they have never deceived us. |
|                         -- Samuel Johnson  |