Subject: Re: Additional, Unreported Dangers from Mex

From: [email-masked] (Cindy Miller)
Date: 11 Aug 1994 19:50:20 GMT

I'm going to Greensboro N.C. and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a restaurant *uniquely* Greensboro.

TIA,
	Cindy

---

From: [email-masked] (Rhea Jacobs)
Date: 12 Aug 1994 12:37:52 GMT

>I'm going to Greensboro N.C. and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a restaurant *uniquely* Greensboro.

As someone who was stuck in Greensboro for 12+ years (1949-1962), I'd 
recommend going someplace interesting instead, but if you have to go to
Greensboro, I'd recommend two places:  Spring Garden (on Spring Garden
St.), a nice informal place for lunch, and the brew pub (I don't
remember its full name) near Guilford College, off Friendly Rd. Good
beer, and much better food than you'd expect from the average brew pub.
I've been to both as recently as last April.

Hope your stay in Greensboro is brief,
Rhea Jacobs

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Lamont)
Date: 12 Aug 1994 17:48:12 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Rhea Jacobs) writes:
>Greensboro, I'd recommend two places:  ...

Then there's always the Woolworth's lunch counter.  Unfortunately, I
understand that the Woolworth's has closed recently.

[For those whose memory of the history of the Civil Rights movement of
the early 1960s has faded, the Woolworth's lunch counter was the site
of one of the first, perhaps the first, sit-ins.  A major historical
landmark.]

							spl
-- 
Steve Lamont, SciViGuy -- (619) 534-7968 -- [email-masked]
San Diego Microscopy and Imaging Resource/UC San Diego/La Jolla, CA 92093-0608
"[S]cientific visualization should be called ... data display.  But then it
would be clear that is what we've been doing all along." - Alan Fournier

---

From: Doug Grover <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 15:11:09 GMT

Scott's Barbecue.  Ask them about the burglar who tried to hide in a
sauce barrel.

---

From: [email-masked] (Stan Yates P200)
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 17:50:39 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Rhea Jacobs) writes:
|> 
|> In a previous article, [email-masked] (Cindy Miller) says:
|> 
|> >I'm going to Greensboro N.C. and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a restaurant *uniquely* Greensboro.
|> >
|> >TIA,
|> >	Cindy
Greensboro saw better days for dining 3-5 years ago;  Chapel Hill and
Durham are now best in the state for this.  However, there are still a
few places you can have a good meal:

Southern Lights, off Friendly towards downtown (bistro cooking, casual,
    moderate $)

Ghassan's, several locations (steak sandwiches and falafel, fast-food,
    cheap $)

Thai and Indian places (separate but almost next door) on Tate near UNCG
    (casual, both quite good for the money and representative of the styles
    moderate $)

Madison Park, on Dolly Madison off Friendly (Wine Spectator grand award
    winner, traditional French that's good but not creative, expensive $)

American Accents, off Cornwallis (I haven't tried this since it changed
    ownership about a year ago;  I'd be curious if anyone else has;  
    used to be excellent, modern American/French hybrid with good wine
    list and a range of vintage Ports by the glass)

Stan  [email-masked]