Subject: Native American Food

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 94 05:19:45 EST

I have been monitoring this group for a couple of months with great
interest.  I have not seen any threads on Native American foods.  I am
working on a project dealing with Native American foods and have one
resource; The Spirit of the Harvest, a book that won a James Beard award
a few years ago.  Does anyone know of any other recources that might be
helpful in researching Native American foods?

--
     * ChefNet BBS - (218) 751-5149 - "The Culinary Center of Cyberspace" *

---

From: [email-masked] (John C. gilkey)
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 1994 07:54:40 -0800

> helpful in researching Native American foods?

You must have missed thread on Aztec food.

One source mentioned in that was Native Seeds/SEARCH, a non-profit group
preserving and promoting seeds and food plants of Southwest US and NW
Mexico.  Catalog $1: 2509 N. Campbell Ave, #325, Tucson AZ 85719.
Catalog has more than seeds: also food products, info on Diabetes Project,
and books on Native American food and other topics.

Specially recommend books by Carolyn Niethammer, such as American Indian
Food and Lore.

Various University presses (Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma) have excellent
books on the topic, both recipes and food history.

John Gilkey & Laurel Cooper