Subject: Chinese lung et.al.

From: [email-masked] (Barry J. Lazar)
Date: 27 Nov 1994 17:16:51 GMT

Here's the recipe. 

Beef Organ Mix (Gow Chop)
1 to 2 pounds each of beef  honeycomb and flat tripe
1 spleen, 1 lung, 1/2 lb. tendon  (all available from Chinese and most kosher
butchers)
4 oz. light soy sauce
1 oz. dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons salt
2 oz. whiskey  (rye, scotch or bourbon)
Some left over chicken, pork or beef bones.
One large handful of Lo Mei spice combination (available by name in Chinatown
and comprised of the following: one large piece of  dried orange peel, a
stick of gom chow, one or two star-anises broken into pieces, a tablespoon or
two of fennel seeds, and a tablespoon of dried sliced ginger).
	Put the Lo Mei spices together with the soy sauces and whiskey and enough
water to barely cover. Simmer them for a couple of hours and leave them
overnight at room temperature to bring out their flavours. 
	Clean the tripe by rubbing it with table salt and rinsing it in several
changes of cold water.  Simmer it for half an hour. Rinse it in cold water
and drain.  
	Clean the lung by forcing water through the windpipe  (push the pipe over
the faucet),  the lung will fill with water. Squeeze the water out and repeat
as many as ten times to make sure that it is clean. Cut away the pipes and
blood clots. Remove the fat and membrane from the spleen. Rinse it and the
tendon under running water and clean them. Boil all the meats (including the
tripe) for 10 minutes. If the bones have not been previously cooked, blanche
them for a few minutes in the water as well. Rinse the meat and bones in cold
water and drain. Cut  all the meat into bite-sized pieces.
	Fill a large stock pot  about 3/4 with cold water. Put in the bones. Bring
the water to a boil and add everything else including the Lo Mei stock.
Simmer, covered,  for several  hours or until the tripe is tender and easily
pierced with a fork. Remove the bones. Simmer the meat until the honeycomb is
tender. Check occasionally to make sure that the heat is not too high and
that there is still liquid in the pot. Add water if necessary  because the
meats will absorb a lot.