Subject: Martino

From: [email-masked] (Ren Punk)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 94 14:51:10 PST

I am working on translating and redacting the Martino manuscript (the 
basis for Platina and the Epulario).

I have run across a word that I can not find a reasonable translation for 
and am hoping someone here may be of some help.  

In recipe number 135M (#208E and #163P) Torta form the blackest cherries 
you can find, he says (my translation here) "Take a gigendoli of spice 
that is, cinnamon, ginger and a little pepper."  

Obviously gigendoli is a measurment of some kind.  Any ideas?  The closest 
thing I can come up with is a little cask but that seems much to much and 
what exactly is a little cask?  

In the same recipe there is a phrase that is confusing.  The letters all 
run together and it starts the sentence.  
"Agiangendoui add three or four eggs"  very strange!  Platina translates 
to "add thereunto"  and the Epulario disregards the phrase altogether and 
just says "and four beaten eggs."  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone is interested in this recipe I will post it.  It is a very 
interesting cheese, rose and cherry tart.  I am still working on which 
cherries are right for the tart (Martino, Platina and the Epulario all 
suggest different kinds!)  

David S. McDonald 
[email-masked]

---
 * Freddie 1.2.5 * Non est quis esse sed quid portare!