Subject: Medieval Herbs for Brewing

From: [email-masked] (Jan McEwen)
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 1994 05:11:54 GMT

A friend of mine came across some supposedly medieval recipes for brewing 
ale.  They mentioned some herbs that he was not familiar with.  Can any 
of you help me with this?  (Our university library doesn't have much on 
the subject). 

	Sweet gale    (_Myrica gale_)

	Marsh rosemary    (_Ledum talustra_)

I don't know if the Latin names are correct, but any help is appreciated:
both as to if this sounds right, and for sources to obtain these herbs 
(Hawaii is rather limited in this regard).

My thanks,

	Jan
--
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan McEwen, Department of Horticulture, University of Hawaii 
SCA: Catriona Stewart, Barony of the Western Seas, Caid
Internet:  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Robin Carroll-Mann)
Date: 10 Sep 1994 17:57:20 GMT

>(Hawaii is rather limited in this regard).

    First of all, a disclaimer: I am neither a brewer nor an herbalist.  But
I did a quick check of _The Herb Book_ by John Lust.  The first herb you
list is not in it.  Ledum palustre (aka marsh tea, sawmp tea, and wild
rosemary) is "an evergreen shrub that is found particularly in peat bogs and
moist places in the northern areas of North America, Europe, and Asia." (Ie.
*not* in Hawaii)  After describing its uses in herbal medicine (which is the
focus of this book), it cautions: "excessive doses can cause poisoning."
Now, the book then goes on to discuss dosages, and does *not* give the same
kind of dire warning it gives for stuff like nightshade and hellebore, but
you still might want to check with an expert before using it in brewing.  In
my nonexpert opinion, this sounds like the kind of situation where
authenticity is best sacrificed to health concerns.

>Internet:  [email-masked]

Robin Carroll-Mann
[email-masked]
SCA: Brighid ni Chiarain, Barony of Settmour Swamp, East

---

From: [email-masked] (Nick Maclaren)
Date: 11 Sep 1994 21:16:49 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>(Hawaii is rather limited in this regard).

Sweet gale is extremely common on the moorlands of Britain, and is one
of the few flavouring plants that will grow there.  As it thrives in a
climate which may have a maximum summer temperature of 55 degrees, a
minimum winter one of 10 degrees and a peak day/night ratio of 3:1, I
should doubt that you have the chance of a flea in a furnace of growing
it in Hawaii.  I am not familiar with marsh rosemary, but several other
herbs were used (including alecost, as its name suggests).

If you really need these herbs, they would probably grow in Oregon,
Washington State or the islands off Alaska.  Alternatively, you could
import at least sweet gale from Scotland, but you would have the devil's
own job with import licences (not to say finding a supplier in the
first place!)

Nick Maclaren,
University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory,
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.
Email:  [email-masked]
Tel.:  +44 223 334761    Fax:  +44 223 334679

---

From: [email-masked] (Nick Maclaren)
Date: 12 Sep 1994 10:38:13 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Nick Maclaren <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Washington State or the islands off Alaska.  ...

Having checking in Clapham, Tutin and Warberg, sweet gale (or bog
myrtle, if you prefer) DOES grow there!  It is native to both the
Old and New Worlds, and grows from Alaska to Labrador as far south
as Oregon and North Carolina (probably on the high ground).

Nick Maclaren,

---

From: Alan Deacon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 1994 12:46:11 GMT

>herbs were used (including alecost, as its name suggests).
                   
For some reason the name costmary comes to mind. Ah, according to the old
dictionary its another name for alecost (Chrysanthemum Balsamita).

--
	Alan Deacon (User Services)
	Information Systems Division 		Email: [email-masked]
	University College London		Tel: +44 71-380 7359
	Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT		Fax: +44 71-388 5406