Subject: Re: Why Not Eat Lungs?

From: Abraham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 12:34:14 GMT

> 
> MH>Herbs WA <[email-masked]> wrote:
> MH>>We eat most animal organs, but not lungs.
> MH>>
> MH>>Is this a particularly American fetish. Are animal lungs eaten anywhere to
> MH>>anyone's knowledge?
> MH>>
> MH>>Do lungs pose particular health hazards?
> 

We have a dish in the Philippines which uses lungs.
As in most foods, one acquires a taste for it or not.  
They are safe to eat as far as I know.

Abraham

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry J. Lazar)
Date: 27 Nov 1994 01:33:50 GMT

Once a year we get a few lambs from a friend and take everything. Lungs
included. My mother in law cooks them in a pressure cooker and serves them
with gravy. Quite tasty. I like to slice them, flour and fry them as I would
liver. Also good and rather amazing since the air in the lungs puffs them up
enormously as they fry. A chinese friend has an excellent organ meat recipe
which includes lungs. He washes them well and forces water through the lungs
to clean them of mucus. Then he uses some... what the heck, I'll post the
recipe later. I've tried it and it is delicious. Lungs do have a slightly
strong taste (as do liver and kideneys) and the chinese flavourings mask that
flavour while letting the meatiness come through.
I've also tried udder in Britain. (obviously an udder story...) It was a
little cheesy in taste and texture. Sort of like a pate.