Subject: Pasties

From: [email-masked] (Bruce R. Fortnum)
Date: 25 Sep 1994 16:49:43 GMT

The terms 'pie' and 'patty' are both diminutives of the older word 'pasty', as
I recall.

And correctly used, 'pasty' and 'patty' are limited to venison, veal and
other meats.  But pie is of a wider signification, including fruits, mince,
etc.

In Elizabethan times, the venison pasty was the food of the Gods (and the
rich).

As Keats wrote (the old Mermaid Tavern)

Have ye tippled drink more fine
Then mine host's Canary wine?
Or are fruits of Paradise
Sweeter than those dainty pies
Of venison?

Cheers

Bruce Fortnum
F&M
Toronto