Subject: Re: Why Not Eat Lungs?

From: [email-masked] (DIANE KRETSCHMER)
Date: 23 Nov 1994 17:29:28 GMT

My grandmother used to prepare something she called "ling" which I 
always thought was lung -- she hailed from Poland.  The dish was quite 
tasty done up as a braised dish, I think.  Anyone know if this is 
actually lung?

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephanie A. Hall)
Date: 22 Nov 1994 22:23:28 GMT

Robert F. Jaffe ([email-masked]) wrote:
: As I'm sure other posters will point out, lungs are eaten in
: many places.  In English, the cooking term for lungs has been
: "lights" for quite some time.

Yes, and lungs are also a principle ingredient of haggis. A friend of 
mine made haggis for a dinner in the US where mainly Americans were 
attending and left the lungs out for the sake of American tastes.  A Scot 
attending told her it wasn't "really" haggis without the lungs.

Stephanie Hall
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (John E. Taylor III)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 07:08:52 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (DIANE

> tasty done up as a braised dish, I think.  Anyone know if this is

Were the meaty bits really light and spongy?  If so, probably lung.  If
they were more solid, more like actual meat, probably not.

--
John Taylor    (W3ZID)     |  "The opinions expressed are those of the
[email-masked] |   writer and not of Rohm and Haas Company."