Subject: Re: What did VIKINGS eat?

From: [email-masked] (Timothy J Lundgren)
Date: 10 Sep 1994 04:43:41 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Ruth Muldrew <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>They must have had grapes because when they landed in Newfoundland about a
>thousand years ago, they called it Vinland because of the "grapes" they
>found and ate.   What they really found was big blueberries, but grapes were
>the closest thing they knew to compare to them.

I'm not so sure about the blueberries bit.  If memory serves, the Vinland Sagas
contain some reference to finding grape vines so large that they could use the 
wood as lumber.  Not likely with wild blueberries, it seems to me.  I'm not an 
expert on this, but have been told that they quite likely were referring to 
someplace south of Newfoundland when they talked about Vinland -- perhaps 
modern New York area.

TL

---

From: [email-masked] (Ruth Muldrew)
Date: 10 Sep 1994 18:48:31 -0400

>someplace south of Newfoundland when they talked about Vinland -- perhaps 

I was waiting for someone to bring up the New York thing.  The theory that
 they first landed in southern New York area was put to bed years ago.
The remains of a  settlement was discovered in L'Anse au Meadows, Newfoundland
and is now a historic site. Several years ago some modern day Norse sailors
sailed a tall ship from Scandanavia to L'Anse au Meadows to celebrate the
1000th (?) anniversary of the original voyage.  It was a massive media event
for both places.

Re the size and description of the "grapes" remember these were the guys
that the sagas were in part based on and guys of any century are prone to
bragging about their exploits.   Also, they were probably bucking for
funding for their next project (some things never change)

ANYWAY, the point I was making was that they were familiar enough with
grapes (or some kind of vine fruit or berry) to call the place Vinland so
they must have eaten them back home.  :)

Ruth (No sour grapes)

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

---

From: [email-masked] (Xiphias Gladius)
Date: 11 Sep 1994 14:49:12 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Heather Macdougall) writes:
>
>I think vikings had a pretty cool way of life going on,
>but I really don't know much about what they ate.  If anyone
>has any knowledge at all about this subject, let me know.

Fish.  Lots of it.

Viking cooking is pretty grim.  I mean, as far as I can tell, the
reason that the Scandanavian countries have such a high suicide rate
has more to do with the food than the darkness.

Heck.  The Vikings invaded Scotland for the cuisine. . .

Seriously, though, to get an idea of what the Vikings ate, look at
more modern Scandanavian cooking.  

	- Ian

---

From: [email-masked] (Jane Beckman)
Date: 13 Sep 94 00:10:47 GMT

>Heck.  The Vikings invaded Scotland for the cuisine. . .
Hey, at least the Scots had oats and cabbage!  Serious amounts
of cabbage and kale...
>more modern Scandanavian cooking.  

Another indicator is to check on the food words in those
languages and see  which have been absorbed from other
cultures (in short, there is no "native" term, just a term
borrowed from another language and changed to sound local).

--
  Jilara   [[email-masked]]
That's how freedom will end: not with a bang, but with a rustle of file
folders.  If you love any of your rights, defend all of them!
-Joe Chew, on the net

---

From: [email-masked] (SDunavan)
Date: 13 Sep 1994 19:15:05 -0400

The Vikings also harvested some native type of grass grain in Greenland,
probably to eat in porridge or make bread.  I can't remember the species
or the date, but here's the reference if anyone else wants to look it up. 
There is probably lots more archaeological information on Viking diet in
this article.  You may also want to check out some of the archaeological
literature on Viking era "Jorvik", which is modern York, UK.  I know
they've done lots of archaeology there, with great preservation of plant
foods.

  Griffin, Lisa C. and Ralph M. Rowlett (1981).  A "Lost" Viking Cereal
Grain.
Journal of Ethnobiology 1(2):200-207.  SDunavan

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve E. Mercer)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 1994 22:57:08 GMT

>they must have eaten them back home.  :)

OK, so the Vikings had grapes.
What modern variety of grapes would most closely resemble
the grapes that were available to the Vikings in their 
native lands?
What modern wine would most closely resemble the wine
made from the Viking's grapes?

---
Steve Mercer
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark P. Nelson)
Date: 15 Sep 1994 16:08:53 GMT

Steve E. Mercer ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article [email-masked],  [email-masked] (Ruth Muldrew) writes:
: >ANYWAY, the point I was making was that they were familiar enough with
: >grapes (or some kind of vine fruit or berry) to call the place Vinland so
: >they must have eaten them back home.  :)

: OK, so the Vikings had grapes.
: What modern variety of grapes would most closely resemble
: the grapes that were available to the Vikings in their 
: native lands?
: What modern wine would most closely resemble the wine
: made from the Viking's grapes?

None.  The Vikings didn't have grapes at home; they looted^H^H^H^H^H^Htraded
for them in France, and they got them in the Mediterranean, which they
reached either by trekking up and down rivers until they got to  the Black
Sea, or by sailing around the western coast of Europe.

When they saw them in Vinland, they recognised them, being a well-travelled
lot, but they didn't have them in Scandinavia.

--
Mark P. Nelson ([email-masked])
                         While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once,
                         to go on making the same lethal errors century after
                         century seems to me nothing short of deliberate.--V.

---

From: [email-masked] (Nick Maclaren)
Date: 15 Sep 1994 22:03:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>OK, so the Vikings had grapes.

Let us assume that they did, though there are two views on this.

>the grapes that were available to the Vikings in their 

Small and probably sour.  Even with the extra warmth of a south
aspect, it is hard to grow large, sweet grapes in southern
England today.  Nothing like any modern commercial variety, anyway,
though you can buy plants that are supposed to be similar.

>made from the Viking's grapes?

The nastier forms of English wine - thin and sour at best, thin and
vinegary at worst.  You need really quite a lot of sunlight to get
grapes to produce enough sugar for good wine or wine that keeps.
One traditional method of improving wine was to add honey to the
must - they may have done that, but I don't know.

Note that both of the above statements are based on the assumption
that prevailing wind patterns were similar to today, even if the
temperature was higher.  The ripening problems in north western
Europe are due more to lack of strong sunlight than cold temperatures.

As always, there would have been good years where things ripen well,
and bad ones when marginal crops (like grapes) would fail completely.
This happens today, with all our technology and fancy hybrids.

Nick Maclaren,
University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory,
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.
Email:  [email-masked]
Tel.:  +44 223 334761    Fax:  +44 223 334679

---

From: [email-masked] (Lindamiler)
Date: 6 Nov 1994 23:21:01 -0500

HAIR LOSS, TREATMENTS AND PROPER CARE

by  James Freeman, M.D.

According to the American Academy of Dermatology (ADD). there are over 
100,000 hairs on the average head. To understand what scientists now 
know-how hair thins and eventually dies out completely, it's necessary 
to first know how hair grows. Hair, a protein made from tiny cells lining 
a hole in the scalp called a follicle, goes through three phases during
its 
lifetime: anagen , telogen and catagen. In the anagen phase,  about 90 
percent of the total scalp/hair population is actively growing at any one 
time. This growth cycle is followed by a telogen phase. During this
period.
10 percent of the hair rests for three months, then falls out. When the
new
hair underneath pushes the old one from its longtime home in the scalp, it

enters the catagen phase. Most doctors agree that losing 50 to 100 hairs a

day is required for hair to continue replacing itself. 

It is now known that hair grows fastest in the summer, slowest in the
winter,
speeds up under heat and friction (massage), but slows down when exposed
to 
cold. Hair grows the best between the ages of 15 to 30. But, hair growth 
begins to wind down sometime between the ages of 50 and 60.

Thinning hair, where the hair withers in its follicle to show more scalp 
than when a person was younger, can begin at any age after puberty and can

precede actual baldness, where the follicle atrophies stops producing hair

all together-by as much as 10 years or more. 

What is the causes of post-pubescent thinning hair? In some people,
problems
with hormone - producing organs including the adrenals, pituitary,
ovaries,
testes and thyroid is the cause of thinning. Your diet is very important
for
proper hair growth. According to the AAD, inadequate protein can cause 
protein malnutrition, especially among some VEGETARIANS, people on crash 
diets that exclude protein, and those with severely abnormal eating
habits. 
Hair sheds within two to three months as person's body tries to save
protein 
by shifting the hair growth cycle into the resulting phase. Too much
protein
and fat can also cause problems. Scientists have found that when protein 
exceeds 15 percent to 20 percent of the daily diet, the body enters a 
"negative mineral balance", causing hair to fall out in much the same way 
as if it had too little protein. 

Disease can also be another cause. High fever, severe infecting, thyroid 
disease or even a severe case of the flu can cause hair to enter the 
resting phase as the body seeks to heal other areas. Cholesterol can build

up in the follicle openings, causing clogs of hardened lipids that choke 
hair at the scalp line. In addition, medications including beta blockers, 
blood thinners and drugs used to treat gout, cancer chemotherapy, 
arthritis, depression, heart problems and high blood pressure can shut 
down hair growth all together.

TREATMENTS, OLD AND NEW

Even after your hair is lost, the root usually remain alive. This suggests

the possibility of new growth.

Cortisone tablets taken orally sometimes promote hair growth.
Unfortunately,
prolonged use can cause physical or mental side effects, and the new hair 
usually falls out when you discontinue the tablets. Other forms of
cortisone
are rubbed or injected into your scalp. Their effect is often temporary.

Medical researchers in Asia believe that hair loss is caused mainly by 
insufficient blood supply to the scalp. The other possibility is excessive

sebum in the scalp which causes pore clogging and malnutrition in the hair
root( "sebaceous Gland Hypothesis", proposed by Dr. Yoshikata Inaba of  
The Inaba Aesthetic Surgery in Tokyo).  The so-called 101 hair regrowth 
lotion is formulated to attack the problems. 101 became famous after it
had
won several international awards, among them, "gold medal" from 14th 
International Inventors Exposition in New York (June 4, 1991). According
to
Dr. Zhuang-Guang Zhao, the inventor, 101 promotes blood circulation by 
removing blood stasis in the scalp and dilating the blood capillaries, it 
also remove sebum in the scalp. Unlike other 
treatments, it has no side effects, the 
active compounds in this lotion are isolated from plants, 
According to Newsweek and New York Times reports (references at page 48), 
there is no questioning its popularity with the 3 million bald folks in 
Japan. Masashi Sada, a popular Japanese singer, said recently on the radio

that the product worked wonders on his head. Millions of men and women in 
Asia reportedly have used 101 and 90 percent are said to have found it 
effective in hair regrowth and a significant reduction of hair loss. 
According to a spokesperson for the 101 products the improved formula 
called Fabao 101D will be introduced to USA. But will 101D work on
American heads? since average American diets contain a lot more fat and 
protein than their counterparts in Asia. (Editor's note: a brochure can be

obtained from PS Co., 2333  West 13th St., Brooklyn, NY 11223 USA).

Another approach uses minoxidil. This drug was originally developed to
treat
high blood pressure and had the unanticipated side effect of stimulating 
hair growth, sometimes in unwanted areas. The hair produced is usually 
fuzzy, the treatment is expensive, and so far the results are varied
(Editor's note: People should discuss side effects and possible adverse 
reactions from using Rogaine with their doctors).

Hair transplantation is also an option. The dermatologist 
implants tiny plugs of skin, each containing about 10 hairs, into your 
scalp. The transplanted hairs falls out in about 3 weeks, but new hairs 
are soon produced. Up to four transplantation sessions, at 4-month 
intervals, may be needed. This treatment is very expensive.

Perhaps the most promising studies come from genetic researchers at
Beijing
International Hair Regenerating and Nourishing Research Center(HRNR). For 
many years scientists there have searched for the genetic key that would
unlock 
the cure for baldness. 

According to HRNR, the genetic therapy can work one or two ways. The 
scientists could make a chemical compound-suspended in a cream or lotion 
that is rubbed onto the scalp-which would target itself to the hair loss 
gene inside individual follicle cells. The compound would fit itself 
securely over the gene, nullifying any further power the troublemaker
could
have over hair growth-or the lack thereof. Another option would be to
place
a minuscule copy of a normal hair growth gene into a cream or lotion and
rub
it into target sites on the scalp.

TIPS FOR PROPER HAIR CARE:

Each year, Americans spends millions of dollars on hair-care products and 
treatments. Unfortunately, some of these efforts are too rough or done 
frequently. The result is hair damage rather hair care. Damaged hair stays

damaged until it grows out and is cut off. This can take many months, 
because your hair grows only about 1/2 inch each month.

Your hair requires gentle handling. Wet hair is especially fragile because

it might become stretched. A natural bristle brush is preferred over a 
synthetic one because the synthetic material may cut the hair. Brush the 
hair gently from the scalp to disperse scalp oil over the hair. If you 
prefer a comb, use a wide-toothed comb to avoid injury to your hair.

Certain hairstyles and treatments can cause breakage or root damage. Avoid

excessively tight braiding, buns, or ponytails. do not roll your hair too 
tightly in curlers. Teasing and back combing should be done gently or not 
at all. To much exposure to sun, wind, or swimming-pool chemicals will dry

out your hair and cause it to knot.

The quality of your hair reflects in part the adequacy of your diet: 
regular, well-rounded meals are best for you and your hair. Consuming
extra
protein or amino acid preparations will not promote hair growth, As 
mentioned above, too much protein is bad for hair growth.  Crash diets and
eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa can damage hair
dramatically. Various claims are made for the value of analysis of hair 
samples, but the process has no validity and can be considered one of the 
many scams aimed at appealing to people concerned about their health.

If done gently, daily shampooing will not damage your hair. The
amount of washing will depend on the type of your hair, the weather, 
your physical activity, and perhaps even your occupation.

For proper washing, wet your hair completely with warm water. put
shampoo on with your hand and massage gently, using your fingers instead
of your nails as you work the lather outward from your scalp. Rinse
thoroughly. use shampoos tailored to your hair type--oily, dry or normal. 
Protein shampoos do not penetrate your hair, but they do coat it, giving 
your hair more bulk. A protein shampoo acts as a shampoo and conditioner 
in one.
Excessive flaking may require dandruff shampoos. Follow your shampoo with 
a cream rinse or conditioner. These products lubricate your hair between
washings and help minimize damage from brushing or combing. Those
containing
 protein ingredients may also thicken your hair temporarily. 
Permanent-waved, straightened, or dye hair needs low pH shampoos.

 Towel dry by patting gently. Whenever possible, let your hair dry
 naturally in the air. If a blower is necessary, use it on a low setting
and
leave your hair slightly damp. If you brush or comb your hair while it is
wet, you pull out much more hair than you would by gently untangling it
with
your fingers and waiting until it is damp or dry before you carefully
brush
or comb it.

 A styling gel or mousse can give your hair more body or thickness.
They do not necessarily damage your hair, but you may experience extra
dryness, especially at the hair ends.

 Hair bleaches chemically alter the melanin granule in the middle
layer of  each hair strand. Despite careful treatment, persistent
bleaching
eventually damages even healthy, strong hair shafts, but it does not
injure
the roots from which future hair growth takes place. 

Hair dyes work more like paint by covering hair strands with color
or by mixing with the melanin granules without altering them. Dyes come
in temporary form, which eventually wash out, and semi-permanent and
permanent forms, conduct a patch test to check for possible irritation.
Permanent dyes require prior bleaching. Thus, the dying process does
damage
hair.

Curling is safest if you twist your hair into pin curls overlight.
Use of hot rollers or curling irons gives the best results for coarse
hair, but they may damage strands or roots when used to excess.  For safe
curling of fine hair, let it air dry and wind it loosely around sponge
rollers.

 Permanent waving is safe for healthy hair, but you may find it
results in increased dryness and splitting. Straightening and permanent
waving use the same chemical methods to change the properties of hair
strands. The  initial (waving) solution dissolves a chemical linkage in
the
hair. After the hair is arranged in its new, curly configuration, 
application of the second solution, the neutralizer, restores the linkage.

Like other aggressive cosmetic treatments, permanent waving can be
damaging
when done to excess.

 References:

 1.NEWSWEEK, March 28, 1988
2.The New York Times, Tuesday, January 26, 1988
(The rest omitted)
 __________________________________
 Dr. James Freeman is a dermatologist and a member of our 
 personal care advisory board.
 ----------------------------------
 * This article(condensed) is from Health Review Magazine(quarterly),
published 
by Clearbrook*. ©1994 Clearbrook. Subscription info available at Health
Review Magazine, 
84-25 Elmhurst Ave, #3N, Elmhurst, NY 11373