Subject: Re: Civil War recipes

From: Robert And Cynthia Chiovoloni <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 94 08:40:23 -0500

laurie <[email-masked]> writes:
 
>    * Confederate Corn Chowder*
>      3 cups water
>      1 medium onion, diced
>      1 cup potato flakes
>      1 cup whole kernel corn
>      1/2 cup dry milk powder
 
Where did they get the potato flakes and milk powder?  Maybe from those pesky
suttlers who also sold the fried pies.  Sherman may have had this on his mind
when he said war is hell.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jane Beckman)
Date: 28 Sep 94 00:05:28 GMT

>when he said war is hell.

This is one of my major quibbles with most "period"
recipes--lack of period ingredients.  Condensed milk
(documentable) maybe in the Union (not the Confederacy), but
dry milk powder?  This one shows up in lots of so-called
"period" bread recipes, too (along with oil).

I found a cornbread recipe this weekend that Confederates
might want to try (in an original source).  The recipe was:

two large cooked sweet potatos
a coffeecup of cornmeal
an egg
salt
water

Cook the sweet potatos, peel and mash them.  Mix with
cornmeal, salt, and egg and enough water to give it the
consistency of thick batter.  Put into an iron dutch oven and bury
in the fire until done.

This isn't the exact phrasing, but it was just as vague as my
reinterpretation.  (That's how they cooked, then.)  No, there
was *no* leavening listed.  My, that's *substance*!

--
  Jilara   [[email-masked]]
That's how freedom will end: not with a bang, but with a rustle of file
folders.  If you love any of your rights, defend all of them!
-Joe Chew, on the net