Subject: More Medieval Recipes

From: [email-masked] (Donna Bowers)
Date: 30 Nov 1994 18:16:20 GMT

Looks like this will have to be intermittent. Sorry folks. Let me know if 
you are interested in my harrassing my Administrator to let me put these 
in an ftp site...

Heiatt & Butler    Curye on Inglysch

p 108 No 48
Peiouns ystewed. Take peiouns and stop hem with garlec and with gode erbis
ihewe, and do hem in an erthen pot; cast <th>erto gode broth and whyte grece,
powder fort, safroun, verious & salt.

In Modern English: 
Stewed Pigeons. Take pigeons and stuff them with garlic and with good herbs
hewn, and put it in an earthen pot; put in good broth, white grease, powder
forte, saffron and salt.

I use a young chicken here, because I don't have access to pigeon readily.
Stuff your chicken with lots of garlic, some sage leaves, some parsley and
some cilantro. truss it up to keep the goodies in. Home made chicken 
broth is
best. Get it boiling and add the chicken. I don't generally use the 
oil/grease because there is enough fat on the chicken. put in powder fort 
to taste. If you don't have the recipe for this e-mail me. Cook until 
7/8ths done, then add saffron and salt to taste.

--
***********************************************
Good, Bad, ...I'm the guy with the gun...-Ash
 
[email-masked]
 
***********************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (david director friedman)
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 1994 04:02:09 GMT

"safroun, verious & salt" (Curye on Inglysche"

"saffron and salt." (translation)

You left out the verjuice.

David Friedman