Subject: Italian Renaissance sources

From: [email-masked] (Dr. Stephen Bloch)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 1994 13:13:20 GMT

I've misplaced the article by the lady who wanted to do an Italian
Renaissance feast, but I've checked my cookbook shelf for relevant
sources.  Since I'm more interested in the earlier stuff, there wasn't
much, but I have two reprints from Falconwood Press (193 Colonie Street,
Albany, NY 12210-2501): Platina's 1475 _De Honesta Voluptate_ (I think
this is a modern translation, but the publisher isn't clear on this) and
_Epulario, or, The Italian Banquet_ (reprinted from a 1598 English
translation from Italian).  Among the generally relevant quotes from
Platina:

To Prepare a Table
One must prepare a table according to the season of the year; in winter
in a closed, warm place, in summer where it is cool and in the open.  In
spring in a cozy place, spread with flowers; in winter there should be a
fire with plenty of good odors.  In summer the floor should be strewn
with fragrant greenery which has been freshly cut from vines and
willows.  In autumn ripe grapes, pears, and apples should be hung from
the ceiling.  The cloths, coverings, and napkins should be shining white
so they do not cause squeamishness and take away the appetite.  The
servant should clean the knives and sharpen them well so that the guests
are not hindered by the dullness of their utensils; all the rest of the
dishes should be scoured and polished, wheter they are earthen or
silver.  For when these things are nicely done the appetites of those at
the table are stimulated.

On Salt
There must be salt on the table, lest the food seem bland, for we call a
man foolish who is tasteless and insipid, because he has no salt in his
character....

What to Eat First
In serving food there is an order that should be observed.  For the
first course it is recommended that one have all those things that act
as a laxative and which are light and not filling, such as a few apples
and pears and other such mild and pleasant things.  In addition, one may
serve lettuce and such, either raw or cooked with vinegar and oil; also
eggs, especially soft-cooked, and some other confections which we call
sweets, made from spices and pine kernels and either honey or sweet
juice.  These are to be served to the guests first of all.

Good luck!
--
                                                  Stephen Bloch
                                           [email-masked]
                                        Math/CS Dept, Adelphi University

---

From: [email-masked] (Meadhbhni)
Date: 29 Sep 1994 18:56:02 -0400

Stephen,
i have been looking for a copy of Platina.  Do you know if the falconwood
book is still available?
thanks, 
meadhbh