Subject: 2nd RFD: rec.food.cooking reorganization

From: Stephanie da Silva <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Sep 1994 13:38:52 -0400

This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the reorganization of 
the unmoderated newsgroup, rec.food.cooking.  

This RFD is being posted to news.announce.newgroups, news.groups,
rec.food.cooking, rec.food.drink, rec.food.historic, rec.food.recipes,
rec.food.sourdough, rec.food.veg and rec.food.veg.cooking, with followups
set to news.groups.  All discussion regarding this proposal should take
place in news.groups.

Rationale: Rec.food.cooking has been a very high volume newsgroup for 
the past several years, and the subject of splitting has been brought 
up with a fair amount of regularity.  According to the July arbitron, 
traffic for that month was 4351 articles, which is over 1000 articles 
per week or approximately 145 articles per day.  

Proposal: rec.food.cooking be split into 3 unmoderated groups:

rec.food.cooking.misc
rec.food.cooking.recipe-sources
rec.food.cooking.equipment

Charters:

rec.food.cooking.misc (unmoderated)
  For general food and cooking discussion.  Foods of all kinds, food 
  procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.  This newsgroup 
  would replace the existing rec.food.cooking.

rec.food.cooking.recipe-sources (unmoderated)
  For cookbook recommendations, ratings of cookbook authors and televised
  cooking shows, recipes and recipe requests, and recipe management software.
  On the surface, this newsgroup may seem partially redundant with 
  rec.food.recipes.  However, from moderating rec.food.recipes, I have
  discovered that cross-posting between rec.food.cooking and rec.food.recipes
  is virtually non-existant, indicating that the recipes traffic on each
  newsgroup is independant of each other.

rec.food.cooking.equipment (unmoderated)
  For frequently discussed equipment-related topics such as bread machines, 
  microwaves, crockpots, knives, cutting boards, glass-top stoves, barbecues,
  cast iron, woks, Calphalon, aluminum cookware, dehydrators, pasta makers, 
  and rice cookers.  Also for topics such as equipment sources, care and 
  repair, recommended brands of appliances to buy, etc.

Discussion will run for a minumum of 21 days.  The newsgroups in this 
proposal are subject to change, and if major changes are necessary, the 
discussion period may be extended an additional 7 days.

A Call for Votes (CFV) will be posted after the end of the discussion period.  
The vote will be run by a neutral third party.

This RFD attempts to fully comply with Usenet newsgroup creation guidelines 
set in "How to Create a New Usenet Newsgroup".  Please refer to this document 
if you have questions about the process.

---

From: [email-masked] (Joel K. Furr)
Date: 27 Sep 1994 23:14:02 -0400

I support splitting off rec.food.cooking.equipment and replacing 
rec.food.cooking with rec.food.cooking.misc, but I oppose creation of 
rec.food.cooking.recipe-sources.  Frankly, the name doesn't do a very 
good job of communicating what the group's supposed to be about.  If it 
were an alt.* group, I'd call it a Crawling Horror from the Sewers of 
Hell. 

It's not that I don't think that rec.food.recipes and rec.food.cooking 
overlap or don't, or that an unmoderated recipes group wouldn't work; 
it's more that the name is just plain confusing.