Subject: Re: Caudel

From: "T. Phelps" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 03:52:00 GMT

William Byrd had caudel for breadfast during a time of illness in the 
spring of 1710.  What is caudel?  Tina.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ramon L. Tate)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 11:44:50 GMT

>spring of 1710.  What is caudel?  Tina.

According to Webster's New Twentieth Century [sic] Dictionary, Unabridged
Second Edition:

caudle, n. [ME. caudel; OFr. caudel, from L. calidus, caldus, warm] a warm
drink for invalids; especially a spiced and sugared gruel with wine or ale
added.

Sounds to me like a "high octane" early version of Cream of Wheat/oatmeal. :-)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ramon L. Tate             |  "Is it not strange that sheeps' guts should hale
DSB, DCRT                 |   souls out of men's bodies?"
Nat.Insts. of Health      |     - Act II, scene 3, Much Ado About Nothing
Bethesda, MD 20892        |               Wm. Shakspere
[email-masked]  |

---

From: [email-masked] (John E. Taylor III)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 12:16:13 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> Sounds to me like a "high octane" early version of Cream of Wheat/oatmeal. :-)

I've seen a recipe that was essentially a very light "white sauce", milk
slightly thickened with flour--again with the spices and some sugar to make
it palatable.

--
John Taylor    (W3ZID)     |  "The opinions expressed are those of the
[email-masked] |   writer and not of Rohm and Haas Company."

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Berry)
Date: 28 Sep 1994 17:00:07 GMT

>From  the Harleian MS. 279, circa 1420 AD
[Note:  I have tried to leave it as true to the original as possible,
but there are several letters which no longer exist in english - one
which serves mostly as a "th", and I have made that replacement.]

Caudel Ferry departyd with a blamanger.--Take Fleysshe of Capoun, or of Porke,
& hakke hem smale, & do it in a mortere an bray it wyl, & temper it vppe with
capoun brothe that it be wyl chargeaunt; than nym mylke of Almaundrys, take 
yolkes eyround, & Safroun, & melle hem to-gedrys that it be yellow, &
do ther-to pouder Canelle, & styke ther-on Clowis, Maces, & Quybibis,
& serue f[orth].

A quick scan.  Take chicken or pork, chop it and grind it well in a mortar.
Mix it well with broth.  Add almond milk, egg yolks and saffron until
it's yellow.  Add cloves, mace, cubebs, and "powder Canelle" - cinnamon, it 
would seem.   This is not an 18th Century Caudle, but  it is a "spiced
gruel".

Another recipe, from "A noble book off cookery" which seems to date
to the late 1400's, is similar.  It adds currents and wine and strains
the result.

badger                                      Don Alexandre Lerot d'Avigne
Jeff Berry                                  Caer Galen, Outlands
                        [email-masked] 
NCAR doesn't tell me what to think, and I return the favor.
"You're a notch and I'm a legend"-------Alice Cooper
"I don't need TV when I've got T-Rex"------Mott the Hoople

---

From: [email-masked] (Emily Epstein)
Date: 29 Sep 94 16:19:05 GMT

>spring of 1710.  What is caudel?  Tina.

Well, this is a little earlier than 1710-- mid-15th century to be exact, but
it's probably not all that different from the caudel that Byrd had. I worked
up this recipe for the Spinning Winds (Calontir) Cooks' Guild a few years
ago. It's essentially a medieval English zabaglione. The sweeter the wine, 
the better. Enjoy.

Emily Epstein 
[email-masked]

CAWDEL FERRY - - Cury on Inglyssche iv 43 p.107

Take flour of payndemay and gode wyne, and drawe it togydre; do
therto a grete quantite of sugur cypre or hony claryfied; and do
therto safroun. Boile it, and whan it is boiled, alye it vp with
yolkes of ayren, and do therto sale, and messe it forth. And lay
theron sugur and powdour gynger.

1/2 c. chablis
1 T. grated bread
1/2 c. sugar 
4 egg yolks
pinch salt
pinch saffron
sugar and ginger (2 T. /1 t.)

Combine wine and bread. Add sugar & saffron. Bring to rolling
boil, reduce to simmer. Beat egg yolks til lemon colored. Whisk
in ca. 1/4 c. of the hot mixture in small amounts. Whisk mixture
into simmering wine. Add salt. Continue to whisk until thickened.

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Kendall)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 12:52:04 GMT

> drink for invalids; especially a spiced and sugared gruel with wine or ale
Often Thickened with Eggs