Subject: More Medieval Recipes

From: [email-masked] (Donna Bowers)
Date: 30 Nov 1994 14:26:22 GMT

Sorry I'm late again...

Heiatt & Butler    Curye on Inglysch

p 118 No 91
Fygey. Take almaundes blaunched; grynde hem and draw hem vp with water and
wyne, quarter fyges, hole raisouns. Cast <th>erto powder gynger and honey
clarified; see<th> it wel & salt it, & serue forth.

In Modern English: 
Figgy. Take blanched almonds, grind them and put them in water and wine,
quarter figs and raisons. Cast therto powdered ginger and clarified honey.
Boil it well and salt it. Serve it forth.

For the season, here's figgy pudding. Put all the first ingredients together.
I use more wine than water, but you don't have to. I cover the fruits and 
nuts
with liquid. I put in about 1T of ginger for a medium sausepan full of stuff
and about 3T of honey. Adjust this to your taste. Heat it thoroughly and 
bring
to boil. You will get out most of the liquid and it will be very thick. Watch
it closely. Add a dash of salt when done.

p112 No. 65
Connynges in cyrip. Take connynges and see<th> hem wel in good broth. Take
wyne greke and do <th>erto with a porcioun of vynegar and flour of canel,
hoole clowes, quybibes hoole, and o<th>er gode spices, with raisouns courance
and gyngeyuer ypared and ymynced. Take vp the connynges and smyte hem on 
pecys
and cast hem in to the siryppe, and see<th> hem a litel in fere, and 
serue it
forth.

Coneys in syrup. Take conneys and boil them well in good broth. Take wine <a
sweet heavy red wine called "greek"> and put in it some vinegar, cinnamon,
whole cloves, hole quibbebs, other good spices, raisons or currants and 
peeled
minced ginger. Divide the hares into pieces and put them in the syrup, boil
them a bit and serve it forth.

Sweet and sour bunny. I brown the rabbit first then braise it. Take them off
the heat when mostly done or it will get stringy and dry. Prepare the sweet
and sour sauce in a pan. Cook it at medium heat until it starts to get 
syrupy.
Reheat the rabbit pieces in the sauce and serve.

--
***********************************************
Good, Bad, ...I'm the guy with the gun...-Ash
 
[email-masked]
 
***********************************************