Subject: Salmagundi

From: [email-masked] (Patricia Reynolds)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 17:13:06 +0000

I read today in Brewer's _Dictionary of Phrase and Fable_":
Salgamundi:
A mixture of minced veal, chicken or turkey, anchovies or pickled herrings,
and onions, all chopped together and served with lemon-juice and oil.  The 
word appeared in the 17th Century; its origin is unknown but fable has it
that it was the name of one of the ladies attached to the suite of Mary
de Medicis, wife of Henri VI of France, who either invented or populated the
dish.  In 1807 Washington Irving published a humerous periodical with this
as the title.

Could someone give me the quantities?  It sounds like a good left-over dish.

-- 
Patricia Reynolds

---

From: [email-masked] (Robin Carroll-Mann)
Date: 29 Nov 1994 02:47:39 GMT

>and onions, all chopped together and served with lemon-juice and oil.

[snip]

>Could someone give me the quantities?  It sounds like a good left-over
dish.

    I can't provide quantities, but the following may be of interest.  It's
>from  _The Williamsburg Art of Cookery_, a modern compilation of recipes from
various early American cookbooks.  This recipe originally appeared in an 1831
cookbook, Mrs. Mary Randolph's _Virginia Housewife_.

    Salmagundi [sic]

Turn a Bowl on the Dish, and put on it in regular Rings, beginning at the
Bottom, the following Ingredients, all minced: Anchovies with the Bones
taken out, the white Meat of Fowls without the Skin, hard-boiled Eggs, the
Yelks and Whites chopped separately, Parsley, the Lean of old Ham scraped,
the inner Stalks of Celery; put a Row of Capers round the Bottom of the
Bowl, and dispose the others in a fanciful manner; put a little Pyramid of
Butter on the Top, and have a small Glass with Egg mixed as for Sallad, to
eat with the Salmagundi.

Hope this helps.
 
>Patricia Reynolds

Robin Carroll-Mann
SCA: Brighid ni Chiarain
[email-masked]