Subject: tapioca/cassava/manioc/yuca, etc.

From: frazier richard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 1994 13:37:00 -0600

I am looking for recipes for dishes made from the now ubiquitous tropical
crop--Cassava/Tapioca/Manioc/Yuca/Ubi Kayu, etc.--Manihot esculenta--
Any traditional home recipes would be greatly appreciated--leaf dishes, 
breads, cakes and sweets, pancakes, chips, fermented drinks and 
doughs, various preparations of tubers and/or leaves (and accompanying 
sauces) .  Detoxification methods, propagation and planting lore, and any 
details of plant's history in human affairs (from any culture or region) are 
also welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Richard Frazier
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (SDunavan)
Date: 5 Dec 1994 16:25:30 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,

>crop--Cassava/Tapioca/Manioc/Yuca/Ubi Kayu, etc.--Manihot esculenta--

There is a fairly detailed account of manioc processing of the bitter
variety in the Amazon in an edited volume by Richard Ford called "The
Nature and Status of Ethnobotany" (1978), published as Anthropological
Paper 67 by the Museum of Anthropology, Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mi
48109-1079.  The paper, titled "The Use of Manioc among the Kuikuri: Some
Interpretations", is by Gertrude Dole of the American Museum of Natural
History.  

Also, there's a video called "Caxiri or Manioc Beer", made by Victor Fuks,
available from Indiana University's Audo-Visual Dept ( I saw a review of
it in American Anthropologist).  You might also try searching on the
gopher at the Australian National University on tropical archaeobotany or
ethnography.  SDunavan

---

From: [email-masked] (Ken Young)
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 21:12:38 GMT

[email-masked] (frazier richard) writes:
:  I am looking for recipes for dishes made from the now ubiquitous tropical
: crop--Cassava/Tapioca/Manioc/Yuca/Ubi Kayu, etc.--Manihot esculenta--
: Any traditional home recipes would be greatly appreciated--leaf dishes, 
: breads, cakes and sweets, pancakes, chips, fermented drinks and 
: doughs, various preparations of tubers and/or leaves (and accompanying 
: sauces) .  Detoxification methods, propagation and planting lore, and any 
: details of plant's history in human affairs (from any culture or region) are 
: also welcome.  Thanks in advance.
:
My wife is from El Salvador and makes a delightful and VERY tasty 
old dish that I cannot spell.  Definitely old-style home cookin'.

Yucca Conchicherones (sp?)
Cut yucca into large chunks and boil for a few hours until
detoxifed.  Add a tablespoon or so of olive oil & some basil for taste.
Cut pork into pieces the size of M&M's.  
Cut the cooked yucca up further into pieces about 3/4" to 1" across.
Fry both together until pork is done.
Put lots of curdido (sp?) and chili (salsa) on it and start eatin'.

Ken Young
Well fed in San Jose

WARNING:  BLATANT PRAISE OF WIFE TO FOLLOW:
She is an actress, model, good hard worker, great cook, 
supportive, shares my hobbies, all-round wonderful wife,
and a hot little latin woman.  I am a happy man.