Subject: Medieva?

From: [email-masked] (Donna Bowers)
Date: 1 Nov 1994 01:29:41 GMT

ok here's the first:

Blanche Porrey

Cury on Inglysh ; Heiatt & Butler, Early English text society,1985.

p98. item 2 
to make blaunche porre. Tak whyte lekys & perboyle hem & hewe hem smale with
oynouns. Cast it in good broth & sethe it vp with smale brydds. Coloure it
with safferoun; powdur yt with pouder douce.

In modern english;
take white leeks and parboil them and chop them small with onions. put it 
into
good broth and boil it up with small birds. Color it with saffron and add
powder douce.

powder douce is a pre-mixed flavoring. It is generally made with cinnamon,
sugar and other spices in varying proportions. It is a mild mixture with no
pepper. 

Take as much chicken as you want. Dismember it into the size serving pieces
you want. Do not brown the chicken, this is a ÒwhiteÓ dish. Take as many 
leeks as you want to use. I use lots. Slice them in fourths, longways. 
Run them under water to get the sand and dirt out. Cut off the green tops 
and use them for something else. Cut them into small pieces. Take as many 
onions as you like and chop them into small pieces. I do not parboil 
because my leeks are fresh and do not need to be rehydrated or softened.  
have at the boil a good quantity of home made chicken broth. Set your 
onions and leeks to cook in the boiling broth. When about half done, add 
the chicken and a small amount of salt. Cook until everything is done. I 
keep the chicken shredded small so it cooks fairly quickly. While the 
porre is cooking, you can make your powder. I use 2T of sugar, 1/2 tsp 
cinnamon and ginger, and 1 big pinch of clove. Put this in a little dish 
or baggie  and mix it up well. When the dish is done, add 1/2 t of powder 
at a time until you get the taste you want. It will be somewhat sweet. 
Put1 or 2  threads of saffron in some warm water. They will let out 
their  color and add it to the dish.

--
***********************************************
Good, Bad, ...I'm the guy with the gun...-Ash
 
[email-masked]
 
***********************************************