Subject: History of "Opera Fudge"?

From: Alan E. Mays <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 13:49:01 EDT

Does anyone have any background information and/or recipes for a creamy,
chocolate coated candy known as opera fudge?  It's not really fudge, and it
comes in a number of flavors, including plain and vanilla.  Ingredients are
sugar, cream, butter, and chocolate coating.  The only place I've ever seen
opera fudge is in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania.  It's a well-known treat
there, and is available for sale in at least one candy store in the city of
Lebanon (which is located in Pennsylvania Dutch country, btw).  Usually,
though, the recipe is a closely guarded family secret, often passed down for
generations.  I'm particularly interested in any historical background anyone
might have regarding opera fudge.  Why the name, and what possible connection
might there be to the opera?  And why (as far as I know) is the candy localized
to one area in Pennsylvania?

I've also posted this query to rec.food.cooking.  Are there any other
newsgroups or discussion lists where it would be appropriate to post it?

Thanks,

Alan E. Mays
[email-masked]
Penn State Harrisburg
Middletown, PA