Subject: RFD: A proposed group, alt.medieval.

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Foehringer)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 02:19:43

Greetings to All

     I have proposed on alt.config the creation of a group, alt.medieval.
The group will hopefully focus on all aspects of the European Middle-
ages, including literature, the arts, art history, archeology, theology,
philosophy, and history.  The proposed charter of the group is topics
covering the period from 476 CE to 1500 CE, to use the conventional
bounderies.  Geographically, it will be resticted to Europe and Russia.
However, subjects from earlier or later periods are appropriate if they have 
direct bearing on the medieval period, i.e. the spread of Christianity
through the roman empire, the portrayals of medieval historical events in 
Shakespeare plays, etc.  Also, Islamic and Oriental cultures are appropriate
as long as they have a direct bearing on Europe and Russia, i.e. the 
crusades, Marco Polo's travels, etc. 
     Certainly, crafts such as period recipies and cooking techniques would 
be a welcome topic, as would discussions about ingredients which no 
longer exist and origins of regional cooking styles.  References to primary 
documentation and established facts will be a plus.   
     The good people on alt.config do NOT want voting done on that group.But 
if you are interested, you are welcome to read and join in on the discussion 
of how the new group should be named and whether or not it serves a useful 
purpose.
*********************************************************************
Jeff Foehringer                       Commit random acts of kindness
[email-masked]                        and senseless acts of beauty.