Subject: Re: New to this group

From: David Alexander Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 07:41:02 -0700

Tom,

I'm also interested in pre-columbian foods but haven't gotten so far as 
to name a particular style of cuisine yet.

Please let me know if you find a good source of info and foods from South 
America.  Presently, I'm looking for a supplier for bulk manioc from Brazil.

One drink that continually fascinates me is the one that Cortez found the 
Aztecs drinking upon his arrival.  It was a drink made from Cocoa, red 
peppers, (vanilla and cinnamon).  This is the first recorded use of cocoa 
which of course was made into chocolate by the Dutch.  

In Mexico they still use cocoa in a savoury fashion in a dish called 
Mole.  One of these days I must "whip" up a batch of this drink!  You can 
find reference of this drink in Rhea Tannahill's book on Food History.

Please let me know what you come up with.

David Lee

---

From: [email-masked] (Pat Gilliland)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 18:16:28 GMT

In a previous article, [email-masked] (David Alexander Lee) says:

>(snip)
(snip)
>David Lee

I have tried several different mixes of cocoa to chili with varying
effects.  Generally, I go about 1tbs cocoa to 1/2 tbs chili.  This
particular concotion does warm up a body on cold Ottawa winter nights.

--
Pat Gilliland [email-masked]