Subject: Re: Blue wing

From: "T. Phelps" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 04:45:44 GMT

I've been reading the _Secret Diary of William Byrd_.  William of 
Virginia had some unusual eating preferences.  I was wondering if they were 
also unusual for his time.  A neighbor's son, Ned Randolph, living with him 
while going to school complained he was starving.  William prefered eating 
milk for breakfast, sometimes warm and sometimes boiled.  He would have one 
meat dish for dinner and rarely had supper.  If he did have supper it would 
be a custard, an apple or some more milk.  Was this unusual for Virginia 
gentlemen in the early 18th century?  Also several times in September of 
1709 he had blue wing for dinner.  What was blue wing?  
Tina.
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jane Beckman)
Date: 30 Sep 94 01:14:52 GMT

>Also several times in September of 

Sounds like hunting season on the flyway!  I'd hazard this was
a reference to blue-wing teal, a game bird.

--
  Jilara the Exile   [[email-masked]]
That's how freedom will end: not with a bang, but with a rustle of file
folders.  If you love any of your rights, defend all of them!
-Joe Chew, on the net