Subject: rosewater

From: [email-masked] (Richard R Carlton)
Date: 4 Jan 1994 14:51:05 GMT

There has been some discussion of rosewater (how to obtain, when to use, etc.) 
in rec.food.cooking.  Does anyone know if the rosewater my pharmacist can 
prepare is an appropriate ingredient for a medieval recipe for a lemon or 
orange capon?
-- 
Richard R. Carlton                       | The  advantage  of a  bad  memory is
Medical Imaging Department               | that, several times over, one enjoys
4240 Campus Drive, Lima, OH 45804-3597   | the  same good things  for the first
phone 419-221-1112x338, fax 419-221-0450 | time.                 - F. Nietzsche

---

From: [email-masked] (Shava Nerad Averett)
Date: 5 Jan 1994 05:45:46 GMT

>prepare is an appropriate ingredient for a medieval recipe for a lemon or 

I think you'll find rosewater at arabic, indian, or greek grocers, and some
health food stores, along with orange-flower water.  The stuff the pharma-
cist sells is probably meant for perfumery, not food use.

-- 
Shava Nerad Averett				[email-masked]
/*  all original materials (c)1994, Shava Nerad Averett, and have nothing 
    significant to do with the University of North Carolina, a mostly owned 
    subsidiary of the NC Legislature, a mostly owned subsidiary of NC DOT. */

---

From: Gretchen Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 1994 12:16:24 -0500

Richard,

Probably the rosewater your pharmacists prepares is appropriate for use
in cooking.  If you've got any qualms about it, though, check at your
nearest middle eastern or Indian (especially Indian) grocery store. 
Rosewater is used in a looootttt of Indian cooking.

toodles, gretchen

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Johnston -- Michael's Music Service)
Date: 6 Jan 1994 02:19:28 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Richard R Carlton <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Richard R. Carlto

The rosewater I get from my local health food store is good for cooking, so
I don't see why the pharmacy version wouldn't be.  Of course, using one of
the antique rose varieties and making it yourself would closer to the original,
but it's probably not enough difference to notice.  OTOH, the difference 
between store-bought and churned butter is quite noticeable.  Chacun a son gout!

Cheers!
Michael

-- 
MICHAEL'S MUSIC SERVICE | CIS: 70731,3403 |----------| Organ Music Our Specialty
4146 Sheridan Drive     | [email-masked] |----------------| John Apple
Charlotte, NC 28205-5654| (704) 567-1066 |--------------------| Michael Johnston
Brother Ambrose, Friars Minor |-------------| Guillaume de Pomme, Maitre d'Orgue

---

From: [email-masked] (Laurie Brandt)
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 1994 17:11:44 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Michael

> >prepare is an appropriate ingredient for a medieval recipe for a lemon or 

Let me recomend, Eau de Rose naturelle and Eau de fleure d' Oranger
naturelle, by Crabtree & Evelyn, you can get them at their shop (they are a
national chain,) or sometimes you can find it in the international section
of a large grocery store.  If you do medieval and renaissance cooking use
rose water in place of vanilla
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Laurie E. W. Brandt | [email-masked]                          
   |
| aka Pegasus         | [email-masked] (if you need to send an
enclouser)|
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Barbara Pollack)
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 94 10:01:00 -0500

I've used pharmacist's rosewater in couscous and Indian dishes to good
effect and have not noticed any difference from rosewater from India.
It is unlikely that there have been any significant changes in
production methods since this is a low demand item so its probably as
authentic as anything you can get.