Subject: Heliogalibus

From: [email-masked] (Bill Stuart)
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1993 03:19:25 GMT

I've also heard stories about a roman nobleman named Heliogalibus.
He had fantastic meals with such dishes as meats veined with gold, ostrich
brains, different kinds of tripe, and the like. There's even a story about
how he killed 4 guests by dropping gifts on them as they arrived.
	I'd like to know if anyone has any recepies that would be served
at such an event.

---

From: [email-masked] (Heather Rose Jones)
Date: 21 Nov 1993 18:34:37 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>	I'd like to know if anyone has any recepies that would be served
For recipies themselves, go to one of the various versions of the Apicius
cookbook. The original dates (probably) to the first century AD and may
be obtained as a bare translatin (no redacted recipies) from Dover Books
("Apicius - Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome" ed. & trans. by 
Joseph Dommers Vehling. New York: Dover Publications, Inc., 1977. 
ISBN 0-486-23563-7).
There are several books containing modern adaptations of a selection of 
the recipies. One of the better known is "Apicius: The Roman Cookery Book" 
by Barbara Flower & Elisabeth Rosenbaum (London: George G. Harrap & Co. 
Ltd., 1958.) but a more recent, and thus more available, one is 
"Roman Cookery" by
John Edwards (Point Roberts: Hartley & Marks, Publishers, 1986.
ISBN 0-88179-011-7). For detailed descriptions of some truly outrageous
(and probably fabulous - in the original sense) banquet dishes, find
yourself a good translation of Petronius' "Cena Trimalchionis" 
(Trimalchio's Dinner).

I did a dinner once working solely from the Dover translation - it depends
on how confident you are in your recipie sense.

Heather Rose Jones

---

From: [email-masked] (Jack Campin)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1993 15:02:34 GMT

> 	I'd like to know if anyone has any recepies that would be served

You mean the Emperor Heliogabalus, who came to the throne as a teenager
having been brought up to believe that he was the incarnation of the sun's
penis.

There's a novel about him by Alfred Duggan ("Family Favourites", I think).
He's a lot later than Apicius.  Try Suetonius's "Twelve Caesars" (the
ancient Roman model for Anger's "Hollywood Babylon") for a few hints.
Suetonius didn't think much of this sort of thing.

A deli here sells smoked ostrich.  Betcha you can buy ostrich brains at
butchers in South Africa right now.

-- 
-- Jack Campin -- Room 1.36, Department of Computing & Electrical Engineering,
   Mountbatten Building, Heriot-Watt University, Riccarton, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
TEL: 031 449 5111 ext 4195         HOME: 031 556 5272        FAX: 031 451 3431
INTERNET: [email-masked]   BITNET: via UKACRL   BANG!net: via mcsun & uknet

---

From: [email-masked] (David Friedman)
Date: 25 Nov 1993 13:46:39 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Jack
Campin) wrote:

> You mean the Emperor Heliogabalus, 

...

> He's a lot later than Apicius.

He may be a lot later than the person Apicius, but I do not think he is a
lot later than the cookbook attributed to Apicius. My memory (my library is
mostly in Chicago at the moment, and I am in Ithaca) is that the cookbook
is believed to be a collection of recipes put together in the late empire.
It may either have grown out of something by Apicius, or simply have been
credited to him long after his death. 
-- 
David Friedman
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jenny Lynne Semenza)
Date: 24 Nov 93 08:14:44 -0700

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Heather Rose Jones) writes:
>Subject: Re: Heliogalibus
>From: [email-masked] (Heather Rose Jones)
>Date: 21 Nov 1993 18:34:37 GMT