Subject: History of Ketchup

From: [email-masked] (Jcd)
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 94 09:54:17 PST

M{>Does anyone know what the history of Ketchup is?  The Heinz bottle
M{>states that Heinz was established in 1869, but for all I know they
M{>could have only made pickles in the 19th century.

I can't help much, but I do remember watching Sunday Morning about a year
ago.  Charles Coralt (sorry cant remember how to spell his last name)
always announces some wonderful news event of the week that fails to
get its proper due from his peers.  The week of which I am speaking the news
was stunning:  salsa had become the biggest selling condiment in
America, overtaking ketchup which had been on the top since they began
keeping track of these things.  Both Charles (who, even I if can't
remember how to spell his last name, is the most interesting, eloquent,
and compassionate person on television) and I were stunned! I did a
little research, found out it was true and the situation has not, that I
know of, changed.  Raised in a home where no meal was ever served without
Heinz (there was even a special bowl my mother served it in when company
was over), I agreed with Charles: it marked the end of some kind of era!

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Miller)
Date: 5 Mar 1994 03:13:29 -0500

[email-masked] (Jcd) wrote:

>
>
>
>M{>Does anyone know what the history of Ketchup is?  
>

The word ketchup is derived from a Malay word for fish sauce.  
And ketchup is a distant relative of the piquant fish sauces of 
the east, and also, I suppose of the Roman Garum.  Anybody else 
out there ever tried the Philippine banana ketchup?  A strange 
textured, artificially colored, ketchup-like sauce.

Steve Miller      -     I am a Famous Rock Star!