Subject: Orange-peel marmalade etc

From: [email-masked] (C R Pennell)
Date: 11 Feb 1994 05:18:43 GMT

In the "Austerity" period afdter WWII, the British Ministry of Food 
issued a recipe book on how to use everything for food - waste-not-want-not.
 remember seeing one of these - and a recipe for making marmalade from 
orange-peel etc. After the lunar new year we are overwhelmed with oranges 
and mandarins: does anyone have a copy of this - or any other- recipe for 
making marmalade from peel (presumably the amounts of pectin have to be 
adjusted? sugar too? water? cooking time?)
Also does anyone have a copy of one of these receipe books - or failing 
that the TITLE - ILL may be able to oblige.

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 1994 12:26:16 GMT

C R Pennell ([email-masked]) wrote:

|In the "Austerity" period afdter WWII, the British Ministry of Food 
|issued a recipe book on how to use everything for food - waste-not-want-not.
| remember seeing one of these - and a recipe for making marmalade from 
|orange-peel etc. After the lunar new year we are overwhelmed with oranges 
|and mandarins: does anyone have a copy of this - or any other- recipe for 
|making marmalade from peel (presumably the amounts of pectin have to be 
|adjusted? sugar too? water? cooking time?)
|Also does anyone have a copy of one of these receipe books - or failing 
|that the TITLE - ILL may be able to oblige.
| 

Marmalade can only be made with Seville oranges. If made with any other type 
of fruit (including dessert oranges), you get jam. By definition. All 
marmalades contain the peel and pith; in some marmalades this is in the
form of visible chunks, in others it is invisible.

Marmalade predates WW2 by several centuries.

--
===============================================================================
  Tom Gardner                 Hewlett Packard Laboratories, Filton Rd, 
  [email-masked]	      Stoke Gifford, Bristol, Avon, BS12 6QZ, ENGLAND.
  Fax: +44 272 228920         Tel: +44 272 799910 ext. 28192
            Too many Heritage Centres make you go blind.
===============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Pat Churchill)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 1994 04:55:00 GMT

> Marmalade predates WW2 by several centuries.
There must be a huge number of citrus fruits out there posing as
*Seville* oranges ;-) In these parts we have a bitterish grapefruit
that is the favourite *marmalade* fruit. The early semi-green
grapefruit made a wonderful breakfast preserve.

As for the orange peel glut - how about candying it?  I do this and
store it in jars of sugar, or dip it in chocolate for an after-dinner
nibble with coffee.
-- 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
            The floggings will continue until morale improves              
    [email-masked]  Pat Churchill, Wellington New Zealand     
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

---

From: [email-masked] (Barrie Lax)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 07:43:00 -0500

From: [email-masked]  (Barrie J. Lax)

->  remember seeing one of these - and a recipe for making marmalade from 
-> orange-peel etc. After the lunar new year we are overwhelmed with oranges 
-> and mandarins: does anyone have a copy of this - or any other- recipe for 
-> making marmalade from peel (presumably the amounts of pectin have to be 
-> adjusted? sugar too? water? cooking time?)

I'm a bit confused. If you are overwhelmed with oranges and mandarins, 
why do you want to use only the peel to make marmalade? Why not the 
whole fruit?

Bar.
---
 þ 1st 1.11 #300 þ Logic is a pretty wreath of flowers that smells bad