Subject: pemican; chocolate

From: [email-masked] (Stuart Wier)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 22:55:39 GMT

Two things:

1. Anyone have any experience making pemican?  I found a general description
in Course of Empire by Bernard DeVoto, and a recipe in Fryingpans West by
Sam Arnold.  Yet another suet+meat combo. Apparently the Hudson's Bay
Company fur traders in Canada depended on it.

2. Any evidence that chocolate degrades the immune system, so that a
bout of greedy chocolate eating may be likely followed by a cold?

Stu Wier

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 30 Jan 94 16:19:49 -0600

> Company fur traders in Canada depended on it.

I've made it... the version with venison, lard, dried cherries and
plums.  The dogs enjoyed it!  ;-)
> bout of greedy chocolate eating may be likely followed by a cold?

Not that I've heard of... one could hypothesize that since chocolate
tends to induce a feeling of well-being, one eats it in quantity when
feeling unloved and depressed... and depression does definitely have
an ill effect on the immune system...  

One *could* hypothesize that... but not when I've just bought 2 lbs of
chocolate!  ;-)

Kay Klier  Biology Dept  UNI  (unreformed chocaholic)