Subject: re:potatoes and art

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 94 18:32:02 GMT

I have also read Jack Wetherford's Indian Givers, and I find it to be a
fascinating book, although I do believe that he jumps to some conclusions.

Speaking of New World crops, I have an anouncment to make to everyone out
there who is interested in food systems:THE ARRIVAL OF SPUDNIK:AN AGRO-CABARET
A team of students and myself are developing a play about couch potatoes
who invent the universe by interacting with their appliances.  We will be using
potatoes as the primary design image in the show, and we will be performing 
it at the Hampshire College Farm Center, probably in late April.  We will
litter the garden with a humongoius amount of boxes and salvaged trash
containing the remnants of processed potato products(french fries, chips, etc.)
And we will build a giant Mr.Potato Head out of discarded household appliances.
We are also creating a gallery of hundreds and hundreds of potao-related
articles, anecdotes and images. The show will be included by a live potato
planting.

SO! Anyone who is interested in the project please mail me!  Also, if anyone
knows of any and all information relating to the potato, please tell me; I
would be greatly appreciative.
Check out Redcliffe Salaman's History and Social Influence of the Potato
Also, there is a Potato Museum which has toured internationally, located in
Albequerque, New Mexico. To contact them call information(505) and ask for
Tom Hughes.  SPUDNIK IS COMING! call [email-masked]