Subject: high altitude gardening

From: [email-masked] (Greg Stemp)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 1994 15:03:25

I'm about to take a job with NOAA that will have me living at @ 4000 ft in the 
Cascade Mts in WA st.  Anybody got any wisdom to share other than build a big 
fence to keep the deer and bears out?

---

From: [email-masked] (Mary Shafer)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 17:19:15 GMT

On Thu, 3 Feb 1994 15:03:25, [email-masked] (Greg Stemp) said:

Greg> I'm about to take a job with NOAA that will have me living at @
Greg> 4000 ft in the Cascade Mts in WA st.  Anybody got any wisdom to 
Greg> share other than build a big fence to keep the deer and bears out?

Ask on rec.gardens as this newsgroup, rec.food.historic, is not the
right one.

--
Mary Shafer                                                   DoD #362 KotFR   
SR-71 Chief Engineer         NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA
[email-masked]                Of course I don't speak for NASA
 "A MiG at your six is better than no MiG at all."  Unknown US fighter pilot

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Paul Checkman)
Date: 6 Feb 1994 21:45:50 GMT

Well, then we might as well make it a rec.food.historic topic, like another
"where do our foods come from?" discussion, but maybe twist it into something
along the lines of "how did whoever cultivate that food at such a high 
altitude?"
Anyhow, we could always start with the Incas and the potato.  What else did    
they cultivate at over 6000 ft. in mass quantities that might grow in 
Washington (or Idaho)?  Come on, let's have some fun with this at least.
:-Dan