Subject: WASSAIL

From: [email-masked] (Walter Nelson)
Date: 15 Dec 1993 22:19:05 GMT

For the person who asked about Wassail recipes...

My wife has achieved some rather nice non-alcoholic results with this
recipe:

Take 1 gallon of apple juice/cider

Add the juice of three oranges

Make a cheesecloth bag containing 2 whole nutmegs and a bit of rosemary and
drop it in.

Drop in 3 cinamon sticks.

Simmer for three hours.

When done, pour into a punchbowl that won't be destroyed by hot liquids
(glass and most ceramic have a tendency to explode).
In that bowl, have a clove orange, and pour the brew over the orange.
Remove the bag, but leave the orange and what remains of the cinamon stick
floating in the brew.

Since this is an old family recipe, it can't be documented.

Most historical wassails were alcoholic, so you can spike it with a bit of
rum or the double-rectified-pop-skull of your choice.  You may also try
hard-cider instead of apple juice (I am particularly fond of the
"Woodchuck" brand).

Merry Christmas

                              Walter Nelson