Subject: history of mexican beer?

From: [email-masked] (Pete Vincent)
Date: 27 Jan 1994 06:29:13 GMT

Hello.

I have a question for the beer world at large.
Does anyone know where Mexican beer came from?
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Maximillian
brought his own brewmeisters with him when he went to Mexico.
This might explain why so many Mexican beers taste like great 
German beers.

What I'm interested in is this:did Maximillian in fact bring 
brewmeisters with him? If so, where were the brewmeisters from?
What yeasts went where and with whom? And how do current Mexican beers compare
with their original European counterparts, if indeed such counterparts 
do exist,and any of this is traceable...

Any help would be appreciated

==========================================================================
                                         %    Pete Vincent
                                         % Disclaimer: all I know I
                                         % learned from reading Usenet.

---

From: [email-masked] (Pete Vincent)
Date: 27 Jan 1994 21:28:03 GMT

Followups to that article should have been set to alt.beer (seemed 
reasonable, unless someone objects) but my present news software
doesn't seem to be able to send that header.

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Young)
Date: 31 Jan 1994 18:55:47 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>Any help would be appreciated

One German beer afficionado told me that 2X is supposed to taste quite 
like the old Viennese style of beer. This is in keeping with the 
suggestion that Maximilian brought a brewing staff with him. He was 
Austrian, not German -- the younger brother of Franz Josef.
-- 
                            Regards, Frank Young

  Internet: [email-masked]              Telephone: 703-532-6284
Address: 6166 Leesburg Pike, Suite B-12, Falls Church, Virginia 22044-2343

---

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Cerveny)
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 1994 11:34:33 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Frank

> Austrian, not German -- the younger brother of Franz Josef.
Also when WWII started all the Austrian brewmasters that were left went to
Mexico.  Its now damn hard to find a Vienna lager in Austria.
-- 
Chuck Cerveny
[email-masked]

"Good times and riches and son of a bitches, I've seen more than I can
recall"  J. Buffett

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank McIlveen)
Date: 4 Feb 1994 00:29:27 GMT

Dear Frank,
It might be interesting to trace austro-germanic influences in Mexican
culture.  For example Mariachi bands (I guess it's also called Nor Teno)
sound alot like Blass Band (the german Oom-pah-pah drinking bands).  There
must have been a whole group of German settlers that came to this region of
Mexico, bringing their Beer and culture.  Maybe under Maximillian's reign
immigration policies might have favored German settlers.

 <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Frank Young)