Subject: Kolache question

From: [email-masked]
Date: 14 Jan 94 14:12:57 -0600

Talking to a friend last night and mentioned kolaches... "Oh yeah, there's
a bakery here that makes *great* egg and sausage kolaches."

After checking to make sure I understood that what he was buying
sounded like a kolache, but like none I'd ever consumed, I dug
out the cookbooks from the local Bohemian communities and checked
their recipes... all the fillings listed were the fruit fillings
or poppy seed, or cottage cheese, that I grew up begging for...
He, however, had never heard of kolaches with fruit!

So, am I culturally deprived, or are egg and sausage kolaches some
sort of depraved Texas thing?  ;-)

Kay Klier  Biology Dept  UNI

---

From: [email-masked] (Andrea Palounek)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 1994 17:11:01 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
> ... (stuff)

A "kolac" (there are diacritical marks missing: a line over the "a" to
indicate it is "long" - not accented, just longer than usual, the accent
in Czech is always on the first syllable - and a little v over the "c"
to make it "soft" - a "ch" sound) is a tart, pie, or tea-cake, and is
always sweet.  A "kolacek" (same diacritical marks), literally "little
kolac", is a small pastry, sort of like a danish, of sweet yeasted dough
and some sort of fruit, seed, or cheese filling.  It is also always
sweet.
   
I've been in Texas bakeries where they sell a kolacek as a "kolach",
so I guess the name has evolved in this country.  And egg-and-sausage
kolache just means the bakery is unfettered by tradition.

(More Czech lesson: skip this if you're not interested:  it's one
kolac or kolacek, two to four kolace or kolacky, five or more kolacu
or kolacku (same diacritical marks throughout, a little circle over the
"u" to indicate it is long.  Czech is the only language I know of which
has two different plurals.  *Nobody* learns this language unless they
absolutely have to.  :-) )

			     Cheers,   Andrea