Subject: Vinegar in salads?

From: [email-masked] (John K. Taber)
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1993 22:46:22 GMT

I vaguely remember reading in Horace that Roman salads were dressed with 
olive oil.  Does anybody know when vinegar was added to salads?

BTW, what a wonderful newsgroup.  I'm glad I stumbled onto it.

-- 
John K. Taber                        [email-masked]
=======================================================
Slowpokes
France cut prices of condoms to encourage youth to use them.  Said Ministry of
Health official Philippe Douste-Blazy "In 1992 Germans used 170 million
condoms, Britons 160 million.  The French used 100 million.  We can catch up
but we must go faster." -- NY Times squib

---

From: [email-masked] (Cheryl Tallan)
Date: 10 Dec 1993 17:47:04 -0500

>olive oil.  Does anybody know when vinegar was added to salads?

By the late fourteenth century. the salad recipe in the Form of Curye
includes vinegar as well as oil.

David Tallan (NOT Cheryl - I just post from her account)
my account - [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Terry Nutter)
Date: 10 Dec 1993 23:20:04 GMT

Hi, everyone.  John Taber asks,

>olive oil.  Does anybody know when vinegar was added to salads?

Quite a few of the recipes for vegetables, cooked and otherwise, mixed
and otherwise, in Apicius (a Roman cookbook that survives in two ninth 
century manuscripts, and appears to date more or less from the sixth 
century) call for a dressing of oil and vinegar, often with liquamen
(a Roman fish sauce), and often with other herbs or flavorings.

Cheers,

Terry Nutter     Blacksburg, VA     [email-masked]     (703)552-1598

---

From: [email-masked] (Pat Churchill)
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1993 10:09:14 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
> BTW, what a wonderful newsgroup.  I'm glad I stumbled onto it.

You don't suppose they ducked down to the deli and bought some
balsamic vinegar? :-)

Interesting question. I'd be interested in the answer, too.  
-- 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
            The floggings will continue until morale improves              
    [email-masked]  Pat Churchill, Wellington New Zealand     
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

---

From: [email-masked] (John K. Taber)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 03:01:15 GMT

Terry Nutter ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hi, everyone.  John Taber asks,

: >I vaguely remember reading in Horace that Roman salads were dressed with 
: >olive oil.  Does anybody know when vinegar was added to salads?

: Quite a few of the recipes for vegetables, cooked and otherwise, mixed
: and otherwise, in Apicius (a Roman cookbook that survives in two ninth 
: century manuscripts, and appears to date more or less from the sixth 
: century) call for a dressing of oil and vinegar, often with liquamen
: (a Roman fish sauce), and often with other herbs or flavorings.

: Cheers,

: Terry Nutter     Blacksburg, VA     [email-masked]     (703)552-1598

Apicius it is then.  At least by the 6th century.  I didn't know about 
fish sauce in Roman salads.  Funny, I hit upon the same idea myself.  I 
use oriental fish sauce to add a bite to the salad.  I guess I will have 
to find a copy of Apicius.
-- 
John K. Taber                        [email-masked]
=======================================================