Subject: Squirrel recipes

From: [email-masked] (Bennett Mccardle)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 23:06:00 -0400

RE an earlier request for medieval squirrel recipes: a number of people
helpfully answered with recent ones. On the principle "if you can't
find out how to cook it any other place, look in THE JOY OF COOKING",
I looked, and there it was. (Walnut catsup and polenta are two of the
suggested side dishes). Also explains how to skin a squirrel, with
diagrams.

I'm told that squirrel is still widely eaten around North America. It,
and muskrat, are available when nothing else is and the children are
hungry; then you can sell the skin for what it will bring.

Bennett McCardle
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (John E. Taylor III)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 07:46:40 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> hungry; then you can sell the skin for what it will bring.

Interestingly, muskrat meat occasionally shows up in one of the local
stores (in downstate Delaware); squirrel is a small-game animal, so I think
regulations prohibit its sale here.  I have no idea how the local folks
cook the muskrat.

--
John Taylor
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Dan Butler-Ehle)
Date: 8 Feb 1994 07:20:04 GMT

> regulations prohibit its sale here.  I have no idea how the local folks

Muskrat is a game animal, too. But it's usually only sought by
furtrappers.
Around here (and probably every state in the US), game meats can't be
served in a restaurant or sold in stores.  That quail at the grocery
store and the venison in the stew on the menu at Stumble Inn are
probably farmraised.  I've never heard of muskrat on a fur farm, but
that's probably where the meat in that store comes from.

Dan  <[email-masked]>