Subject: Preparing olives ... how?

From: "David Herron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 21:38:19 GMT

Greetings!

There's this olive tree nearby which I noticed the olives are falling off of.
 This indicates to me that they're quite likely RIPE.

I've heard that it is somewhat difficult to take olives from the tree and
turn them into usable/edible stuff.  But I'm not sure where the difficulty
might come from.  Gathering from other things I've read about there's gonna
be two main steps:

- Squeezing to extract olive oil.

- `Canning' in a vinegar (and olive oil?) based solution.

Can someone point me to books describing what to do?  They can be either
modern or medieval books, I can read middle english with little trouble.

Oh yeah.  This tree is IN a major commuting area (It is on San Antonio Road
in Mtn View, near the intersection with US 101).  Obviously the fruit must
be washed off very strenuously before putting up.  Is it likely that can be
successfully done?

How do I tell how quickly to get the fruit off the tree?

	Thanks,

	David

(known in these current middle ages as: David le Casse', Leveret Pursuivant).