Subject: Re: Squirrel recipes

From: [email-masked] (Ted B Samsel)
Date: 8 Feb 1994 13:06:59 GMT

Muskrat is eaten at Lent in the Detroit area and is for sale
in some markets. On the eastern shore, it is also sold at
fish markets.
   (Medieaval thought was that all water critters are "fish")
-- 
Ted Samsel ....."driving a Hudson Hornet on the information
                 superhighway. Now all we need is a JC Whitney
                 catalog to order leopardskin terrycloth seat
                 covers."

---

From: [email-masked] (John E. Taylor III)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 08:27:12 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

>    (Medieaval thought was that all water critters are "fish")

Fascinated by the custom of eating muskrat at Lent!  I wonder where that
one came from.

Not sure whether you meant the Eastern Shore (i.e. of the Chesapeake Bay)
by eastern shore, but where I saw this was indeed a fish market, in
Delaware, not far from the Eastern Shore.

It's _very_ dark red, and looks like it would be gamey.  Anybody ever try
it?