Subject: medieval food

From: Seppo Roponen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 94 10:30:26 PST

Approximately one week ago there was a question of medieval 
food. I was too lazy to answer before and today I saw the 
message has gone and I don't remember who posted it. That's 
why the answer is not personal mail.

As far as we know the essential part of medieval eating 
habit (in the world) is eating vegetables. Western Europe 
differs from other countries and continents because in the 
Western Europe people ate more meat than anywhere else. And 
the method they used was grilling meat on fire.

Historical documents are, of course, very problematic. They 
usually describe only glorious parties, not ordinary 
living. However, one book worth mentioning here is 

Fernand Braudel (1979): Civilisation et capitalisme I.
Les Structures du Quotidien: Le Possible et L'Impossible.
Paris, Armand Colin.

available in most common languages (I think).

Seppo Roponen
National Consumer Research Center, Helsinki, Finland
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 1994 21:29:11 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Seppo Roponen <[email-masked]> writes:
>From: Seppo Roponen <[email-masked]>
>Subject: medieval food
>Date: Thu, 13 Jan 94 10:30:26 PST

>[email-masked]

Two excellent books on medieval food and recipes: Connie Hieatt, An Ordinance
of Pottage. An Edition of the Fifteenth Century Culinary Recipes in
Yale University's MS Beinecke 163; and Odile Redon et al., La gastronomie
au Moyen Age: 150 recette de France et Italie (1993). Hiett is a
recently retired distinguished English professor from the University of
Western Ontario. Redon is a Professor of the Universite de Paris.
Antonio