Subject: The Epulario

From: [email-masked] (Ren Punk)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 93 15:21:58 PST

Greetings, 
 
 G>So, are you planning to write an article, or what?  It sounds         
.G>interesting so far.

I have already written the article.  It is in the Spring '93 issue of "The 
Journal of Italian Food and Wine" (Great magazine!).  It is titled "The 
Epulario; an Italian Renaissance Banquet".  The follow-up, "The Epulario; 
the Banquet Continues", will be out some time in 1994.  

I am doing more research on Italian Renaisance cooking, and the Epulario 
specifically, because I am writing a cookbook based on the Epulario.  My 
agent starts flogging it after the holidays.  I am in the middle of 
fleshing out the proposal so any information would help.  

Speaking of my proposal, what do people like to see in a redacted historic 
cookbook?  Would you like it to follow the original in form or be 
organized more like a modern cookbook?  At the moment the format resembles 
John Edwards "Apicius", with a few minor changes.  Any input would be 
appreciated.  

David S. McDonald
([email-masked])

---
 This copy of Freddie 1.2.5 is being evaluated.

---

From: [email-masked] (David Friedman)
Date: 24 Dec 1993 02:12:11 GMT

[email-masked] (Ren Punk) wrote:

> cookbook?

The one essential requirement is that every worked out recipe be
accompanied by the original, so that the reader can see how much liberty
the author is or is not taking with it. It would also be nice to have some
information on what would have been included in a dinner or a feast, and a
sufficient range of recipes to make it possible to produce meals with an
appropriate mix of dishes. 
-- 
David Friedman
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Varda Ullman Novick)
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1993 03:43:26 GMT

Ren Punk ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Greetings, 
:  
:  G>So, are you planning to write an article, or what?  It sounds         
: .G>interesting so far.

: I have already written the article.  It is in the Spring '93 issue of "The 
: Journal of Italian Food and Wine" (Great magazine!).  It is titled "The 
: Epulario; an Italian Renaissance Banquet".  The follow-up, "The Epulario; 
: the Banquet Continues", will be out some time in 1994.  

Could you please give us subscription info?

Thanks,

Varda
-- 
Varda Ullman Novick
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Iain G Liddell)
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1993 08:34:47 GMT

>John Edwards "Apicius", with a few minor changes.  Any input would be 
    As long as there is an adequate cross-referencing index so that
    those with modern-cookbook mind-sets can find what they are looking
    for, I'd go for the original form. Any glosses could be set off
    (in a different typeface, perhaps) or consigned to an appendix
    (with good cross-referencing pointers, of course).

    Please post details of this book when it becomes available.

    Iain

-------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] :: fax +44.895.82.40.29
-------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ginny Beatty
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1993 13:15:33 GMT

>In article <[email-masked]> Ren Punk writes: 
>
>organized more like a modern cookbook? 
>
I like to see the original, the translation, and then the redaction. A discussion of banquets/eating practices of the time period would be really interesting as well.
Are you redacting the entire Epulario?

--ginny beatty

+++++++++++++++++++Ginny Beatty+++++++++++++++++++++++
+Opinions stated here do not reflect NCR policy                       +

+That's my story and I'm sticking to it!                                     +

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---

From: [email-masked] (Heather Rose Jones)
Date: 28 Dec 1993 02:16:55 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>John Edwards "Apicius", with a few minor changes.  Any input would be 

Whatever else a redacted historic cookbook may have, I consider it less
than useless unless it also contains the original recipies. In the original
language. (Translation into the context language of the book, e.g. English,
is also nice, but of secondary importance.) I also like to see the reasoning
for nuances of interpretation that aren't particularly obvious. (Why do
you consider ketchup to be a reasonable substitute for garum? :) )
When possible, it's nice to have a discussion of the context in which
dishes are served -- whole meal plans, etc.

Heather Rose Jones