Subject: Game meats

From: [email-masked] (Joel Hubbert u)
Date: Thu, 12 May 1994 19:51:16 GMT

I have recently acquired some game meats, mainly deer, patridge (ruffled
grouse) and some ducks. I was wondering if I could get some recipes for
these types of meat that were used in ancient times.
-- 
*********************************************************************
*  "If we cannot help the many who are poor, how can we save the    *
*           the few who are rich?" -JFK		                    *
*								    *

---

From: irina@rempt (Irina Rempt)
Date: Fri, 13 May 94 22:12:21 CET

> these types of meat that were used in ancient times.

I hope your game is in the freezer...

If you can read Latin you could try to get a copy of
      
     Apicius, De re coquinaria

(`The Art of Cooking'). I don't know if there is an edition in
English (probably, Dover Books or something, they seem to have
everything). I use the Latin and German parallel edition published
by Universalbibliothek (Reclam, Stuttgart, 1991; ISBN 3-15-008710-4).
It's a little paperback book in a series which, in the Netherlands
at least, is absurdly cheap, about 10 guilders for 260 pages of 
small type parallel text.

Try this edition if you read German (even if you do read Latin). 
The translator gives weight conversions and useful notes such as
what to substitute for things which don't exist any more.

Apicius has recipes for ANYTHING up to and including mice stuffed
with pork forcemeat. 

One hint: for liquamen you can use the thin salty fish sauce
available at Chinese, Vietnamese or Thai import stores.

Good luck!

- Irina