Subject: Re: Bagels

From: [email-masked] (Stephen D. Storch)
Date: 7 Mar 1994 05:30:12 GMT

I remember reading somewhere, probably a cookbook, that the first
bagels were made in Vienna. They are related to pretzels. Bagel 
from the German, bageln, meaning to bend. (maybe you knew this
already)
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Douglas Miller)
Date: 10 Mar 1994 10:21:56 +0800

In article <[email-masked]>,
>from the German, bageln, meaning to bend. (maybe you knew this

According to the New York Times (Sunday April 25,1993--pg.26L) the bagel was
invented by a Jewish baker in Vienna in 1683.  It was intended as a tribute
to King John III Sobieski of Poland for saving the city from Turkish
invaders.  The bread was supposed to be shaped like a riding stirrup in
honor of the kings favorite hobby.  The name was bugel (umlaut) which means
stirrup in German.

If the NYT says it, then it must be true...The NYT:all the news that's fit
to eat.

-- 
..............................................................................
Doug Miller 	"My enemies are worms, cool days and most of all woodchucks"
at Neon Polly						H.D. Thoreau, Walden
Singapore.....................................................................

---

From: [email-masked] (Wendy Hyers)
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 1994 18:56:51 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>honor of the kings favorite hobby.  The name was bugel (umlaut) which means
That's odd.  I've heard the same story about croissants.  The crescent
shape came from the crescent on the Turkish flag.  (? :) )

Wendy

--
******************************************************************************
	Carol & Wendy            "Red boys are delicious..."
  [email-masked]                  -Tom Servo

---

From: [email-masked] (Walter Nelson)
Date: 17 Mar 1994 20:20:13 GMT

Wendy Hyers ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>,
: Douglas Miller <[email-masked]> wrote:
: >
: >According to the New York Times (Sunday April 25,1993--pg.26L) the bagel was
: >invented by a Jewish baker in Vienna in 1683.  It was intended as a tribute
: >to King John III Sobieski of Poland for saving the city from Turkish
: >invaders.  The bread was supposed to be shaped like a riding stirrup in
: >honor of the kings favorite hobby.  The name was bugel (umlaut) which means
: >stirrup in German.
: >
: That's odd.  I've heard the same story about croissants.  The crescent
: shape came from the crescent on the Turkish flag.  (? :) )

: Wendy

I unfortunately can't remember where I saw it, but I'm sure I saw, in a mid
17th Century Dutch painting, a piece of bread that sure looked like a
bagel.

I tend to be dubious of stories like the one above, and even if it is true,
it doesn't mean that the baker invented the thing, just that he baked it in
honor of the King.

Of course, there is no final answer to a question like this one.

                              Walter Nelson

---

From: [email-masked] (Iain G Liddell)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 1994 09:57:36 GMT

>17th Century Dutch painting, a piece of bread that sure looked like a

   That would be Peter van Bagel's  "Hunters in the Dough" ????

---

From: [email-masked] (elizabeth worden)
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 14:21:46 GMT

>   That would be Peter van Bagel's  "Hunters in the Dough" ????

VERY GOOD, Iain!