Subject: Everything you'll ever want to know about olives

From: [email-masked] (Shel Talmy)
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 1994 21:29:54 GMT

Here is an article I saved from the net a while back that should tell you
everything you ever wanted to know about olives and more!

---------------------------------

Title: COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS ON PICKLING OLIVES & MUCH MORE
Keywords: department of agriculture, history, information

Subject: Pickling olives (long)
Organization: USC-IRIS
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Steve Cochran)

About a year ago someone asked for information about preserving
olives.  I no longer have the article, but here (finally) is some
information on the subject.  (The net discussion at the time
shifted to brands of olive oil.)  I would have sent it at the time but
I was unable to locate the information until my "spring" cleaning.
[Note: I have added comments or notes in some places, in exactly
those cases, the text is set off by square brackets.]

[Leaflet Title] HOME PICKLING OF OLIVES

University of California Agricultural Extension Service
Pub. HXT-29

---------------------------------------------------------

          INDEX

PROCESS FOR GREEN-RIPE OLIVES . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1
PROCESS FOR DARK-RIPE OLIVES  . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
HOME CANNING RIPE-PROCESSED OLIVES  . . . . . . . . . . 5
FREEZING RIPE OLIVES  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9
DRYING RIPE-PROCESSED OLIVES  . . . . . . . . . . . .  10
GREEK-STYLE OLIVES  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  10
SPANISH-STYLE GREEN OLIVES  . . . . . . . . . . . . .  11
SICILIAN-STYLE OLIVES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  15
DISPOSAL OF SPOILED AND SUSPECTED OLIVES . . . . . .  16
ANTIDOTES FOR LYE BURNS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  19

Co-operative Extension word in Agriculture and Home Economics, College
of Agriculture, University of California, and United States Department
of Agriculture co-operating.  Distributed in furtherance of the Acts
of Congress of May 8, and June 30, 1914.  George B. Alcorn, Director,
California Agricultural Extension Service.

November 1966

---------------------------------------------------------

This leaflet gives simple, concise working direction for pickling,
canning, and  curing olives in the home.

          PROCESS FOR GREEN-RIPE OLIVES

This process will produce straw-yellow to green or brown olives.  The
fruit chosen should be green, straw colored, or cherry red.  Do not
use black-ripe fruit as it is likely to become soft when pickled.

 1. Prepare a solution of 2 ounces (about 4 level tablespoons) of lye
to each gallon of water. ([FOOTNOTE:] One ounce by weight of flake lye
is equivalent to approximately 2 level tablespoons.  Once ounce by
weight of salt is equivalent to approximately 1-3/8 tablespoons.  One
level measuring cup is equivalent to 16 level tablespoons.  The
particle size of a given weight of lye or salt will influence the
equivalents in tablespoon and measuring-cup measurements.  For this
reason, it is recommended that the materials be weighed whenever
possible.)  To do this easily, dissolve a 12-ounce can of flake lye
(household lye) in 6 gallons of water.  Use a wooden or stoneware
container.  Never use an aluminum container, as lye will ruin it; and
do not use a galvanized metal container, as the zink will dissolve and
make the olives poisonous.  Stir the solution until the lye is well
dissolved.  Let solution cool to a maximum of 65-degrees to 70-degrees
F.

CAUTION:  Have a cup of vinegar nearby to rinse your hands if the lye
solution comes in contact with your skin.  (See precautions under
"Antidotes for Lye Burns.")

 2. Cover the olives with the lye solution early in the morning.
Place a towel of cloth over them and push it down tightly to keep them
submerged.  Stir the olives with a lath or stainless steel spoon every
2 or 3 hours until the lye reaches the pits.  This usually takes 10 to
12 hours.  You can judge the penetration by curring sample olives to
the pit with a sharp knife at intervals of 1 or 2 hours.  The lye
solution discolors the flesh to a yellowish-green color.  If
orchard-run olives are used, test the largest ones.  If the lye
solution has not reached the pits by bedtime, remove the lye solution
and cover the olives with water.  Next morning, pour off the water and
cover the olives with a solution of 1 ounce (about 2 level
tablespoons) of lye per gallon of water and let stand until the lye
reaches the pits completely.  This may take as long as 30 hours if the
fruit is quite green.

Frequently, this lye treatment is insufficient.  Some olives
neutralize most of the lye and it fails to penetrate to the pits.  In
such cases, prepare a fresh solution of 1- 1 half  ounces by weight (3
level tablespoons) of lye per gallon of water, allow it to cool,
discard the used solution and apply the fresh.  Let the olives stand
until the solution reaches the pits, then follow the procedure in
steps 3 through 6.

 3. Remove the lye solution and discard it.

 4. Rinse the olives twice in cold water; then cover them with cold
water.  Change the water four times each day until the lye no longer
can be tasted in the olives; this may take as long as 7 or 8 days.
Commercially, it takes about 4 days.  Try to expose the olives to the
air as little as possible during lye treatment or washing.  [This
keeps them from turning black.]

 5. Prepare a salt brine of 4 ounces (about 6- 1 half  level tablespoons)
of salt per gallon of water.  (if the solution seems too salty; reduce
concentration to 3- 1 half  ounces.)  Dissolve the salt thoroughly and
cover the olives with the solution.  Let stand for 4 days.  The olives
are then ready for use.  Keep them in a cold place.

 6. If the olives are not to be used within 2 weeks, prepare a brine
of 8 ounces (about 13 level tablespoons, or slightly more than 3/4
measuring cup) of salt per gallon of water.  Store the olives in this
brine for 1 week, and then replace the brine with a solution of 1
pound of salt per gallon of water.  Before using the olives, soak them
overnight in water and use them within 3 days.

CATION:  If at any time the olives become moldy of soft or bad
smelling, DO NOT EAT THEM OR EVEN TASTE THEM. (See precautions under
"Disposal of Spoiled and Suspected Olives.")

          PROCESS FOR DARK-RIPE OLIVES

The process described below is more complex than the one for
green-ripe olives; its purpose is to make the olives dark brown or
black.  Use green, straw colored, or cherry-red olives.  It is best to
have the fruit all the same color (the same degree of ripeness) and
nearly the same size.

 1. First lye treatment: Prepare a lye solution of 1- 1 half  ounces (about
3 level tablespoons) per gallon of water, as in the lye process
described on page 1 [in the "Process for Green-Ripe Olives"].  Pour
the solution over the olives and let stand until it PENETRATES THE
SKINS.  Start checking after 30 minutes.  Removes the lye solution and
expose the olives to the air in the container in which they were
treated.  The exposure to air gives them the dark color.  Stir the
olives three times each day.  Leave them for 1 day.

 2. Second lye treatment: Prepare a solution of the same strength as
for the first lye treatment.  Pour this over the olives and let it
stand until it penetrates 1/32 to 1/16 inch into the flesh.  Remove the
lye and expose the olives to the air for 1 day, stirring as before.

 3. Third lye treatment: Use a solution of the same strength as for
the first lye treatment.  Pour it over the olives and let it stand
until it penetrates from 1/8 to 3/16 inch into the flesh.  Pour off
the solution and expose the olives to the air for 1 day, stirring as
before.

 4. Fourth lye treatment: Make a solution of the same strength as for
the first lye treatment.  Pour it over the olives and let it stand
until it penetrates from 3/16 to 5/16 inch into the flesh.  Pour off
the solution and expose the olives to the air for 1 day, stirring as
before.

 5. Fifth lye treatment: Make a lye solution of 2 ounces (about 4
level tablespoons) lye to 1 gallon water.  Pour this over the olives
and let it stand until it penetrates thoroughly to the pits.  Pour off
the solution and expose the olives to the air for 1 day, stirring as
before.

 6. Cover the olives with water; change water four times daily until
the olives are free of lye to the taste (7 to 8 days).

 7. Cover olives with brine as described in steps 5 or 6 for
green-ripe olives.

          HOME CANNING RIPE-PROCESSED OLIVES

Home canning of olives is not recommended, because olives that are not
properly sterilized are a dangerous source of food poisoning.
However, for those who wish to can olives in a pressure canner, these
directions are given to eliminate as far as possible the danger of
spoilage or food poisoning. ([FOOTNOTE:] The instructions for using
the pressure canner are quoted in part from California Agriculture
Extension Service leaflet, "Home Canning of Vegetables," by Hilda
Faust.)

Choose a Suitable Rack

Use a steady rack in the canner bottom.  The rack may be shallow but
it must have openings --- it must not be a solid piece of wood or
metal.  If made of wire, the bands must be close enough together so
that a jar cannot tilt or touch the bottom of the canner with one
edge.  For two layers of jars, use a second rack high enough to
separate the layers.  The rack used with low jars should be high
enough to permit the use of at least 2 inches of water.

Have Enough Water in the Canner

Water is necessary to form steam for exhausting the jars and for the
processing period.  Use about 2 or 3 inches of water.  Have enough to
keep the canner from boiling dry.  The water may come up on the cans
or jars to within 2 inches from their tops.  The amount of water used
will vary with the height of the rack, the size of the jars, the number
of jars, and the diameter of the canner.  Bring the water to a boil
and keep it hot while preparing the olives for canning.

To Fill Jars and Cans and Adjust Lids

Pack the processed olives in glass jars to within  1 half  inch of the top;
or in 1/4 inch of the top.  Prepare a brine, using 4 ounces (about
6- 1 half  level tablespoons) of salt per gallon of water.  Heat the brine
to boiling and pour it over the olives to completely cover them,
leaving about  1 half  inch head space for the jars and 1/4 inch head space
for the cans.  Do not stand jars on a cold surface while filling.
Stand the filled jars or cans in a pan of very hot water.

With a clean, damp cloth, wipe the rims or threads of the jars, or the
rubber rings.  (1) To use a metal lid that has sealing compound and a
metal screw band, place the lid on the filled jar and screw the metal
band on tight by hand before processing.  This type of container and
closure does not need to be exhausted prior to processing.  (2) To use
a glass or zinc lid, or tin cans, exhaust the filled jar or can.  When
using rubber rings, have the wet ring in place on jar or lid and place
the lid on the jar.  To use a screw band over a glass lid, or a zinc
cap, screw on the band or cap very loosely, just starting it in its
groove.  For the lightning type jar, leave short wire up.  Leave lids
off tin cans.

To Exhaust Jars

Put jars or cans on the rack in canner.  They may stand in water up to
2 inches from tops.  Leave space between them so that steam can
circulate.  Place lid on canner, leave lid unfastened, and petcock
open or vent pipe uncovered.  Bring water in canner to a boil.  Do not
let water boil into jars.

Keep the jars or cans in the steam (exhaust) for 10 minutes.  Remove
lid from canner.  Immediately tighten jar lids completely; on glass
lids, screw down bands or lower bails; screw down zinc lids.  Seal tin
cans by placing a lid on each can and using can sealer.

To Exhaust Canner

Before processing the jars, let the steam escape long enough to drive
out all the air.

 1. Arrange the hot, filled jars on the canner rack so that they do
not touch each other or the canner wall.

 2. Completely fasten the canner lid; leave the petcock open or the
vent pipe uncovered.  Let a stream of steam escape from the petcock
for at least 10 minutes.  All the air must be removed so that the
temperature will become high enough and the heat evenly distributed.

To Process

Close the petcock or put on the weighted gauge.  Process for 60
minutes at 10 pounds (240 degrees F.) or slightly above.  For each
1,000 feet elevation above sea level, increase the pressure by  1 half
pound.  Start counting time when the required pressure is reached.
Control the heat to keep the pressure constant at the desired point.
If the pressure falls below that recommended, the olives may not be
safe to eat.

To Release Steam

Turn off the head or remove the canner from the heat without tilting
it.  do not set on a cold surface.  Let the pressure return to zero
before opening petcock.  Open the petcock gently and gradually.  If
glass jars are used, wait 1 or 2 minutes after the pressure has
reached zero before opening the petcock, but do not wait longer.

To Cool and Open Canner

If glass jars are used, allow the canner to cool for 15 minutes after
the petcock is opened before releasing the led of the canner.  If it
took more than 20 minutes for the gauge to return to zero, this wait
may be omitted.  to remove the canner lid, first lift the side
farthest away, so the lid will protect you against steam.  If lid is
removed immediately after the steam is released through the petcock,
let the jars cool for 10 or 15 minutes before lifting them out.  Do
not let a draft strike the jars.

If cans are used, open the petcock, and remove the pressure canner lid
when the pressure has returned to zero.  Plunge the cans into cold water.

To Remove Jars

Do not in any way disturb the seal of a jar after the processing.  If
you attempt to tighten the lid of a sealed jar that you have just
removed from the canner, it is almost certain to spurt of burst.  Use
a jar lifter to remove the jars from the canner, or hold a cloth or
dish towel over the top of the jar to lift it.

Bubbling within a jar, when it is removed from the canner after having
cooled somewhat, is a sign of a good seal.  It shows that the contents
are boiling under vacuum.

Steam pockets frequently form in the flesh of olives that are home
canned in glass jars.  If the pocket formation is so extensive that
the olives are honeycombed, they will lose firmness.  This harmless
defect does not normally occur in tin cans.

CAUTION: If for any reason you suspect the edibility of olives, do not
taste them, but dispose of them as described in section on "Disposal
of Spoiled Olives."

          FREEZING RIPE OLIVES

Pickled Mission olives can be preserved satisfactorily in a freezer.
Other varieties soften badly when frozen and thawed.

Use olives processed by the green-ripe or dark-ripe method.  Cover
with a brine made with 4 ounces (about 6- 1 half  level tablespoons) of
salt per gallon.  Boil for 10 to 15 minutes.  This will lessen the
softening from freezing.  Discard the brine, and chill the olives in
cold water.

Pack them without brine in rigid cartons, glass jars, cans, or used
coffee cans.  The package should be moisture-vapor resistant to
prevent drying out.  Seal used coffee cans with freezer tape.  Tightly
seal other types of containers in the usual manner.  Quick-freeze the
package olives and storer in freezer.

To serve, allow the olives to thaw thoroughly.  If desired, roll the
thawed olives in olive or salad oil mixed with chopped garlic or other
seasoning; let stand overnight.

          DRYING RIPE-PROCESSED OLIVES

Processed green- or black-ripe olives may be dried in a home
dehydrator or in the sun until bone dry.  In the dehydrator, dry at
145 to 150 degrees F.  These olives then keep well in airtight plastic
bags, glass jars, or metal containers.  They keep best when
refrigerated or stored in a home freezer.  They can be eaten
out-of-hand without soaking, or used in cooking.  No more olives
should be prepared by this method than can be used within 3 to 4
months, as they become rancid.

          GREEK-STYLE OLIVES

Greek-style olives are usually prepared from mature olives that are
dark red to black.  Mission olives are generally used, but any variety
will do.  Use smaller olives as larger ones get soft.  The olives will
appear shriveled since they are salt cured.  These olives are salty
and slightly bitter, and one may have to acquire a taste for them.

 1. Cover the bottom of a wooded box with burlap.  For each 2 pounds
of olives, weigh out 1 pound of salt.  Mix the salt and olives well in
the box to prevent mold from developing.  Pour a layer of salt over
the olives to a depth of 1 inch.

CAUTION:  Place the box outdoors so that the brine formed will not
ruin the floor.

 2. After 1 week, pour olives and salt into another box, then back
into the first box to mix them.  Repeat this mixing process once
every 3 days until the olives are cured and edible.  This usually
takes about 30 to 35 days.

 3. Sift our most of the salt though a screen.  Dip the olives
momentarily in boiling water.  Drain.  Let them dry overnight.

 4. To each 10 pounds of olives add about 1 pound of salt.  Mix and
put the olives in a cool place.  Use within 1 month, or store in a
refrigerator or home freezer until used.  Coat the olives with olive
oil only as used.  Do not use oil if the olives are to be used for
cooking.  To coat with oil, put them in a large pan or box and
sprinkle a little olive oil over them.  Work the olives with the hands
to coat all with oil.  this type of olive is useful in the flavoring
of stews, tamale pie, spaghetti, and as a relish, eaten out-of-hand.

          SPANISH-STYLE GREEN OLIVES

The Spanish-style green olive is identified by its green skin, light
flesh, and light brownish-buff pit.  Its characteristic flavor and
aroma, imparted by lactic acid fermenation, make it an appetizing
pickled olive.  Fruit from any variety can be used; however, the
Sevillano and Manzanillo varieties are best to use.

 1. Use olives picked when green to straw yellow in color.  Take care
to avoid bruising, as all such marks are accentuated in the pickled
fruit.

 2. Sort the olives according to size, or they may be prepared for
pickling from "orchard run" fruit that has not been size graded.
Discard all defective fruit.

 3. Place the sorted fruit at once in a cool lye solution (65-degrees
to 70-degrees F. maximum) to destroy most of the bitterness.  Queen
olives (the Sevillano variety) are treated in a solution made with
1-3/4 to 2 ounces (3- 1 half  to 4 level tablespoons) lye per gallon of
water, as they frequently blister and peel when treated with a
stronger solution.  Cover with cloth or burlap and push down tightly
the same as for green-ripe olives.  Manzanillo and Mission varieties
are bitterer than other varieties, but not subject to peeling.  They
are treated in a stronger solution made with 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 ounces
(4- 1 half  to 5- 1 half  tablespoons) of lye per gallon.

 4. Allow lye to penetrate about three-fourths of the way to the pits.
A little residual bitterness should be left.  Penetration is judged by
cutting olives to the pit with a knife and observing the extent of
discolored flesh.

 5. When lye penetration is completed, remove the lye solution and
quickly replace it with cold water to leach out the excess lye.
Change the water every 4 to 6 hours during a 24- to 30-hour period.
Avoid prolonged washing and undue exposure of the fruit to the air as
it may result in an undesirable darkening.

 6. After washing, quickly pack the olives in suitable containers and
cover with a salt solution.  The amount of salt used depends on the
variety of olive.  Small olives (Manzanillo and Missing varieties) do
not shrivel easily in salt brines; cover them with a brine made with
9- 1 half  ounces (about 15-1/4 level tablespoons or 1 cup minus 2-1/4
teaspoons) of salt per gallon of water.

 7. The number and size of containers chosen will depend on the
quantity of olives.  One gallon of olives in brine contains about
5-1/4 pounds of fruit.  Glass-topped canning jars (not smaller than 1
quart) are best to use.  Do not fasten lids firmly.  For larger
quantities of olives, 1 to 5-gallon glass jars or kegs, or larger
sized oak barrels may be used.

 8. Store where the average temperature does not exceed 100-degrees F.
Fermentation will be most rapid at temperatures between 70-degrees
and 90-degrees F.

The containers must be kept full of brine at all times.  During the
period of active fermentation (4 or 5 days) when gas formation causes
excessive foaming and frothing, care must be taken to replace the
brine lost.  Later, when gas production is not so violent, the
closures should be tightened firmly enough to exclude the air and keep
film yeast and mold growth at a minimum.  All brine lost must
constantly be replaced.  This brine should contain about 9- 1 half  ounces
(about 15-1/4 level tablespoons or 1 cup minus 2-1/4 teaspoons) of
salt per gallon of water.

 9. If Manzanillo or Mission varieties are being pickled,
supplementary sugar may have to be added to the brine.  Corn sugar,
corn sirup, cane or beet sugar or sirup may be used.  Add the sugar at
the rate of 1- 1 half  level teaspoons per gallon.  Do not add sugar or
sirup until the fermentation has been underway for at least 4 days.
Additional sugar may be necessary to attain the acidity desired for
the individual taste.

10. Since the development of the desired degree of acidity of the
fermented olives depends upon the presence of lactic-acid bacteria, it
may be necessary to add "starters" of these bacteria that are
contained in bulk (unheated) dill-pickle or sauerkraut brine.  Add
this brine at the rate of 6 fluid ounces (about 3/4 measuring cup) per
gallon of olives and brine.  The addition of this "starter" is
particularly recommended for Mission and Manzanillo varieties, and is
sometimes required for the fermentation of the Sevillano. [Note: when
I tried this, I had no luck with the above suggestions.  What worked
was to make some of my own sauerkraut and use the brine from that
(before canning) to "start" the olives.]

11. Fermentation is complete when the desired acidity and taste
characteristic of Spanish-style green olives have developed (note
precaution below).

Completely fill the containers with brine, close tightly, and store in
a cool place until the olives are used.

12. Discard any fermenting olives that develop a rancid, foul odor.
When any doubt whatsoever is felt concerning the edibility of the
olives, dispose of them as described later.  This is a cardinal rule
which should apply for all home-pickled or canned foods.

         SICILIAN-STYLE OLIVE

Sicilian-style olives are fermented and have about the same
characteristics as the Spanish-style olives, although somewhat more
bitter because they are given no lye treatment and are prepared in a
spiced brine.

 1. Use green olives of any variety.  Sevillano is usually used.
Place them in a barrel or glass-topped fruit jar.

 2. Add dill-pickle spices, about 1 rounded tablespoon per 2-quart
jar, or 1 level tablespoon per quart.  Also add a little ( 1 half  level
teaspoon per quart) fennel seed, or add a sprig of fresh fennel or
dill.  Some prefer to make a "hot" seasoning by adding whole
peppercorns and whole red peppers to taste.  Garlic is commonly added
as a seasoning.

 3. Prepare the salt solution described for Spanish-style green
olives.  To each 10 pints of solution add 1 pint of vinegar, and fill
the jar or barrel with this brine.  Store the container of olives at
about 70-degrees F.

 4. Do not seal.  Place the lid on, but not tightly.  Replace any lost
brine as directed for green olives.

 5. When all gas formation ceases (usually 2 or 3 months) seal and
store until the olives are of the desired flavor.  The total period
from the time of filling the jar or barrel to completion of process in
usually 4 to 6 months.  The olives will remain somewhat bitter and
will acquire a flavor somewhat like that of Spanish-style green
olives, yet will be pleasingly different if spiced.

CAUTION:  Do not taste any olives that develop a rancid or foul odor.
Discard them.

          DISPOSAL OF SPOILED AND SUSPECTED OLIVES

[Local laws may dictate different disposal procedures.]

Botulism is a food poisoning that results in a large percentage of
fatal cases.  It is caused by ingestion of poison produced by
botulinus bacteria growing in low-acid foods in the absence of air.
Low-acid foods include vegetables, meat, poultry, fish, figs, and
pickled ripe olives.  All low-acid food, including pickled ripe
olives, require special precautions after home canning.  These
precautions are as follows:

 1. Boil all suspected home-canned ripe-olives before tasting or
feeding to others.  [Better yet, play it save and dispose as described
in items 3 and 4 below.] The poison produced by the botulinus bacteria
is destroyed by boiling.  To boil, empty the olives into a pan and
place directly over the source of head.  Stir the olives frequently.
Boil steadly for at least 15 minutes, counting time after boiling
begins.  Add more liquid during boiling if necessary, but boil longer
if the liquid ceases to boil when more liquid is added.  At altitudes
above 3,000 feet, boil the olives for at lease 25 minutes.  Smell the
olives while boiling them.  Any sour, rancid (stale-butter smell), or
putrid off-order is made more noticeable by boiling.

 2. Never taste any home-canned olives that are moldy, have an
off-order, show gas pressure in the cans or jars, or show corrosion of
the cans or jar lids.  Olives in bulging or rusted cans, jars with
bulging or rusted lids, or jars with liquid oozing from under the
lid, must be destroyed.

 3. Spoiled or suspected olives in opened home-canned tin or glass
containers can also be rendered save for disposal by processing in the
pressure canner.  The can or jar, if bulging, must be opened carefully
to prevent discharge by gas pressure of brine that may be taken into
the mouth [or into cuts, or into the eyes].  To do this, wrap the top
of the container with a cloth or towel to prevent spurting.  Open the
lid by puncturing the top with an ice pick or other sharp instrument.
Burn the towel or cloth.  The containers of olives thus relieved of
gas pressure are safe for processing in the pressure cooker.  Process
the spoiled or suspected olives at 10 pounds of pressure (240-degrees
F.) for 15 minutes.  (Follow the directions already given for
operation of the pressure canner.)

After processing, dispose of the liquid contents as sewage and discard
container and contents as garbage, or the glass jar may be used again.

Scrupulous care must be taken to prevent drops of spoiled or suspected
olive brine from comming in contact with open cuts, broken skin areas,
and mucous surfaces (mouth and eyes).  A small drop of poisonous
liquid is extremely dangerous to human beings or animals.

 4. Alternative procedures for disposal are to burn the food and its
container in a furnace, boil in soapsuds or in a lye solution, or add
lye and bury [if these alternatives are allowed where you live].  Keep
it our of reach of children and animals, and handle it with care (see
precautions).

The poison may be destroyed by placing the opened jar, together with
its lid, screw band, etc., or can of olives on its side in an old
pail or pan, not of aluminum, and boiling it in a strong soap or
detergent solution or lye.

    a. To boil in soap solution, make a strong solution of soap or
detergent.  Keep the jar and its contents covered with soap solution
during the entire boiling period.  Boil for  1 half  hour, counting time
after boiling starts.

   b. To boil in a lye solution, use 2 level tablespoons of flake lye
per quart of water.  Keep the jar completely covered with the lye
solution.  Boil for 10 minutes, counting time after boiling commences.
After boiling in either soap solution or lye, pour the liquid down the
drain, flushing it with plenty of water, and discard the olives in the
garbage.  The jar may be used again or discarded.

   c. To add lye and bury, mix 2 level tablespoons of flake lye with the
contents of the container of olives.  Allow to stand for one day and
then bury the can or jar and its contents deep enough to insure that
children or pets will not dig it up until the caustic action of the
lye has entirely disappeared.

 5. Never feed to animals of poultry spoiled or suspected home-canned
olives.  Never ask someone else to taste olives you, yourself, do not
care to taste.

 6. If someone has tasted or eaten spoiled or suspected home-canned
olives, have your personal physician contact the city, county, or
state health department immediately.  Save a sample of olives,
preferably in the original brine and container, for laboratory
examination.  If the sample cannot be collected immediately, store
under protected refrigeration.

          ANTIDOTES FOR LYE BURNS

 1. If lye solution has caused burning, apply vinegar, lemon, orange,
or other acid fruit juice until lye appears to be neutralized.

 2. If lye solution has been swallowed:
    -  Call the family physician.
    -  Administer white of egg or milk by mouth.
    -  Do not induce vomiting.
    -  Combat shock by placing person affected in reclining position
       with head lower than body and wrapping him in blankets.

If lye solution has been splashed in to the eye, flush the eye in a
stream of running water, bathe the eye with boric acid solution, and
call the family physician.

[On the back cover is the following ad for UCAES which may or may not
still exist.]

[Title] How much do you know about UCAES?

UCAES stands for University of California Agricultural Extension
Service.  Since 1914 this statewide organization has brought to
California farmers and homemakers the latest scientific findings in
agriculture and in family and consumer sciences, and has helped them
put this information to everyday use.

Support for the Agricultural Extension Services is provided by state
and federal governments and by county governments in 56 California
counties that have local offices.  The office usually located in the
county seat, is staffed by Agricultural Extension farm and home
advisors.  They are your personal links with the University's Division
of Agricultural Sciences and the United States Department of
Agriculture.  They will be happy to give you advice in their fields of
information.