Subject: Re: Original Graham Cracker Recipe?

From: [email-masked] (Steve Smith)
Date: 6 Mar 1994 23:38:04 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
John W. Stewart III <[email-masked]> wrote:

>In article <[email-masked]>, Ellen Kessler <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>Does anyone know where to get the original recipe for the Dr. Graham's 
>>Graham Cracker? I understand it's in the public domain.

>In college I took a course called Biology of Human Sexuality.  I
>don't remember how or why this was brought up in the class, but
>the professor said that Dr. Graham created the cracker meal used
>to make Graham crackers for the purpose of supressing sexual
>urges in children.

>Pretty trivial, eh?

>/jws

Believable.  Suppressing sexual urges, especially in women and
children, was a prime matter of concern to Graham and others of like
mind.

More years ago than I care to think about, I wrote a report
(unfortunately, lost to posterity :-) on 19th century food faddism.
Graham, Post, Kellogg, and company were the biggest bunch of whackos
that I have ever come across.  Think of a mixture of Elizabeth Claire
Prophet and the Galloping Gourmet.

Example:  Kellogg originally intended corn flakes (yes, *that* Kellogg)
to be eaten dry, on sandwiches.  For those whose teeth wouldn't take
nutburgers, you know ....

"Don't chew, Fletcherize!"

-- 
Steve Smith                     Agincourt Computing
[email-masked]            (301) 681 7395
"Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense."

---

From: [email-masked] (Jane Beckman)
Date: 10 Mar 94 02:18:08 GMT

>Prophet and the Galloping Gourmet.

I've got a modest collection of "food fad" books from this
era.  Wow, some of this sounds familiar.  Did you know how
totally bad salt is for you?  ;-)  Or that tomatos make your
teeth fall out?  And all that nasty refined flour...  The
"Live Food Cookbook" contends that the closer food is to
Nature, the better it is for you.  Eat lots of uncooked
veggies and whole grain.  And no meat.
>nutburgers, you know ....

I think my favorite is that candy bars were originally meant
to be sliced into thin slices and served with tea sandwiches.
So slice up a Baby Ruth next time you have the minister over
for tea...   It's the period thing to do. ;-)

--
  Jilara   [[email-masked]]
That's how freedom will end: not with a bang, but with a rustle of file
folders.  If you love any of your rights, defend all of them!
-Joe Chew, on the net