Subject: What happened to chocolate-covered ants?

From: [email-masked] (Edward Zotti)
Date: 11 Mar 94 20:37:10 GMT

Years ago, whenever we were trying to come up an example of a particularly
icky delicacy, the first thing that came to mind was always "chocolate covered
ants." It was always my impression that this was something you could actually
buy somewhere, but I must tell you that in the course of my sheltered life on
this planet I have never come across it. I now place the question before the
house: did anybody ever actually eat these things? Who? Can you get them now?
(C-C ants, I mean?) Where? And, I suppose, why? Replies by e-mail appreciated.
-Ed

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Wendt)
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 1994 22:27:06 GMT

>(C-C ants, I mean?) Where? And, I suppose, why? Replies by e-mail appreciated.

My brother in law, Derek, says that they used to be sold at the Party
Palace on Elgin Street, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I saw them once for sale
at Sears. Niether Derek nor I ever tried 'em. Perhaps the market has gone dry?
-- 
...............Steve Wendt                    Ottawa
([email-masked])                    Canada

---

From: [email-masked] (Lawrence Allen)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 1994 21:52:14 GMT

Edward Zotti ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Years ago, whenever we were trying to come up an example of a particularly
: icky delicacy, the first thing that came to mind was always "chocolate covered
: ants." It was always my impression that this was something you could actually
: buy somewhere, but I must tell you that in the course of my sheltered life on
: this planet I have never come across it. I now place the question before the
: house: did anybody ever actually eat these things? Who? Can you get them now?
: (C-C ants, I mean?) Where? And, I suppose, why? Replies by e-mail appreciated.
: -Ed 

When I was a young'n, we lived in El Monte, CA. Some friends of my 
dad's came up with some. The were basically little blocks of 
milk chocolate with strange little crunchy things inside. 
I only got one, and have never seen them again. 

Lars

---

From: [email-masked] (C R Pennell)
Date: 14 Mar 1994 23:11:08 GMT

No I'll not reply to this privately - it's much too interesting a subject.
Living in Kenya in 1986/8 these scrunchy ants were allegedly on sale on 
the stations on the mainline down to Mombasa from Nairobi. But the times 
I went on the train it was on the express, so I had no chance to check this.

On the other hand you can buy fried cockroaches in Bangkok. They sell 
them out of big baskets. Yummy.

Richard Pennell History National University of Singapore.

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Brooks)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 1994 21:18:12 GMT

I'm not sure where they could be purchased, but ~20 years ago, a girlfriend
gave me some, er, gourmet food.  Chocolate covered critters: (ants, baby
bees, worms, etc) and a can of whale meat.  The ants were tolerable, the
rest of the bugs a waste of (mediocre) chocolate.  I passed on the whale.

The memory makes me glad to be a vegetarian.

Pete Brooks