Subject: WHAT DOES THE WORD PIZZA MEAN?

From: [email-masked] (Mads Brevik)
Date: 23 Mar 1994 14:51:06 GMT

What does the word Pizza mean (is it Italian?), and where does 
the Pizza originate from? (England, Italy?)
(these questions are meant to be serious!)
Help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

						Regards,
						Mads Brevik

---

From: [email-masked] (Jane Beckman)
Date: 24 Mar 94 00:40:27 GMT

According to a couple of my historically focused Italian
cookbooks, it was originally a term for a type of bread.

--
  Jilara   [[email-masked]]
That's how freedom will end: not with a bang, but with a rustle of file
folders.  If you love any of your rights, defend all of them!
-Joe Chew, on the net

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Young)
Date: 24 Mar 1994 05:25:59 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>cookbooks, it was originally a term for a type of bread.

Etymologically, the word "pizza" has a stem which indicates that its 
origins are the same as the English word "pie." The word, as now spelled 
and pronounced, is from a Neapolitan dialect and, as recently as the 
later nineteenth century, indicated a sort of round bun enclosing a 
savoury -- something like a Cornish pasty.

-- 
                                     Regards, Frank Young
    [email-masked]                                    703-532-6284    
    6166 Leesburg Pike, Suite B-12,  Falls Church, Virginia 22044-2343    
    "Videmus nunc per speculum in ‘nigmate.... Nunc cognosco ex parte"

---

From: [email-masked] (Sandy Silverman)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 18:16:59 GMT

The way I heard it in Brooklyn long ago was that apizza or pizza meant pie
in Italian.  And, of course, everyone knows that American pizza was 
invented by Frank Pepe in New Haven, CT. !!
--
Sanford Silverman                      >Opinions expressed here are my own<
American Cyanamid  
[email-masked], [email-masked]     "Yeast is Best"

---

From: [email-masked] (Sandy Silverman)
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 1994 14:22:26 GMT

Hi Sandy!  I am an avid reader of the food nets but due to some strange
disease our local editor will not let me post.  Please post this response for
me if it is not a bother.  I grew up in West Haven, Ct. and went to Southern
Conn. State U.  I grew up on real Apizza.  I dearly miss it.  I make my own
since It is unavailable away from the east coast.  Even my dad who grew up on
the streets of New Haven approves of it.  It is still not the same.  We even
had close friends who owned and ran Modern Apizza on State St.  My brother and
sister and I all workd there helping the Nuzzo's occasionlaly.  Barry Nuzzo
made me some special birthday pizzas my first year in grad school in Illiniois,
and my brother overnight expressed mailed them to the grad dorm. All My 
friends there thought I was completely crazy!
I miss real ethnic rstaruants and bakereis where all the baked goods taste
different and not fried.  Don't get me wrong.  I love Southern New Mexico and
the local cuisine.  As a matter of fact my hubby is local NM.  My two tow-heade.
I want an Italian pizzaria and Greek Diners and Irish bars with wonderful sandw.
Albueque has some good specialty restaraunts and stores but not the local
pizzaria!

Signed Judy Neergaard ( by blood is thick with red sauce and garlic) Neergaard
e-mail me at [email-masked]