Subject: Cheeses

From: [email-masked] (Cassandra L. Baldassano)
Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 16:12:40 GMT

I've got a question about cheeses.

In the book, Two Fifteenth Century Cookbooks, there is a recipe called
Lese Fryes.

It starts off:

Take nessh cheese and pare it clene...

This recipe seemed to be a simple cheese cake recipe, calls for eggs, sugar
and salt, and to place it in a pie crust.

I also looked in two sources and found that nessh means soft. So I used
cream cheese.

I had entered the dish into a cooking competition, and one of the judges 
noted that the recipe called for a hard cheese and why the substitution.
I was not able to locate the judge to get anymore info, but I talked to
a couple of other people and it seems that I should have used a soft cheese
with a hard shell.

So my question is, what type of cheese should have been used?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 May 94 16:18:56 PST

> So my question is, what type of cheese should have been used?

Hello, from Anne-Marie. This is just a guess, but would a brie fit this
description? It would be soft, with a rind that one could "pare clene". Would
it taste really wierd, though as part of a "cheese cake"? Granted, brie is
often served with honey drizzled over the top...

Then again, perhaps the recipe refers to scraping flora and fauna from the
surface of a new, soft cheese...(ugh).

What do you think?
--Anne-Marie
e-mail: [email-masked]