Subject: Re: Welsh food

From: [email-masked] (Lawrence Allen)
Date: Tue, 10 May 1994 18:27:32 GMT

Gretchen Miller ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Toasted Cheese is supposed to be the quintessential Welsh food.  There's
: a story in Feast and Fast (whose date I don't remember) about why there
: are no Welshmen in heaven (INSULTING ETHNIC STORY ALERT):

My uncle, who was Welsh, told me that story a long time ago. 

: Anyhow, cheese toast dates back to period.  One thing to note, this is
: NOT a grilled cheese sandwich:

: Take a large hunk of good cheese about the size and thickness of a slice
: of bread (Cheshire like cheeses are good for this).  Put the cheese on
: your roasting fork and toast it before the fire on one side until it is
: brown, then turn it over and toast on the other side.  Place on a butter
: piece of toast and serve.

My uncle would slice off a big hunk of cheese, place it on a slice of 
bread, and put it under the broiler, until it began to blacken. 
This was a staple at my maternal grandmother's house.

Lars

---

From: Gretchen Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 1994 13:18:01 -0400

Toasted Cheese is supposed to be the quintessential Welsh food.  There's
a story in Feast and Fast (whose date I don't remember) about why there
are no Welshmen in heaven (INSULTING ETHNIC STORY ALERT):

"Seems that in some war or other, a lot of Welshmen were killed and went
to heaven.  Now, these Welshmen (being who they were) were noisy, and
tended to fight, and generally made a nuisance of themselves.  All the
other folks in heaven gather at the gate and complained bitterly to
Saint Peter for letting these folks in.  Saint Peter said "Not to worry,
I can solve this problem".  He opened the gates and called in a loud
voice "Hey, someone's giving away toasted cheese right outside the
gates!"  All the Welshman made a mad dash toward the location of the
cheese giveaway, and the gates were shut firmly behind them.  And this
is why there are no Welshmen in heaven"

Anyhow, cheese toast dates back to period.  One thing to note, this is
NOT a grilled cheese sandwich:

Take a large hunk of good cheese about the size and thickness of a slice
of bread (Cheshire like cheeses are good for this).  Put the cheese on
your roasting fork and toast it before the fire on one side until it is
brown, then turn it over and toast on the other side.  Place on a butter
piece of toast and serve.

Good luck!

toodles, gretchen