Subject: medieval cooking

From: [email-masked] (Rakshi)
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 94 15:39:39 PST

M{>If anyone knows any medieval recipes, and wouldn't mind sharing them,
M{>please Email them to me at [email-masked].

You've got to be kidding.  Which ones?  There are thousands of medieval
recipes. It's time to hit the library, friend.

Look for:

_Antiquitates Culinariae_, containing Forme of Cury (1390),
Ancient Cookery (1381), and other stuff.

_Curye on Inglisch_ (actually pronounced Cury in English), containing
manuscripts on cookery from the Oxford Library collection.

_A Fifteenth Century Cookery Book_ ed. by John L. Anderson,
transcription of some British Museum manuscripts.

_Le Viandier de Taillevent: 14th Century Cookery_ translated from the
French by James Prescott.  Hard to find, available from Alfarhaugr
Publishing in Eugene Oregon.

_Dining with William Shakespeare_, Madge Lorwin.  Various Elizabethan
recipes, both in their old form and in modern adaptations.

Other good starters; transcriptions with modern working recipes, _To
the King's Taste_ and _To the Queen's Taste_ by Lorna Sass.

Then there's the Italians, the Germans, oh, there's a host more.

Here's one to start with.  "Take a crust inche depe in a trape.  Take
yolkes of ayren rawe and chese ruayn and medle it and the yolkes
together.  And do thereto Powdor ginger, sugar, safron and salt.  Do it
in [the] trape, bake it, and serve it forth."

It's called Tart de Bry, and it's a sweet cheese quiche from Forme of
Cury, 1390.  The "cheese ruayn" works well using Brie cheese or soft
farmer's cheese (the latter isn't as flavorful, however).  Medieval
recipes seldom give quantities, but Ms. Sass helps with a working
version in "To the King's Taste." Have fun.

Melinda Jodry
---
 ~ SLMR 2.0 ~ Coffee not found; begin whine/cry program?  y/n