Subject: Cookbooks from the past

From: [email-masked] (Allan or Mike)
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 17:11:48 -0400

FROM SECOND STORY BOOKS
New additions to our list. CK 104, the Rombauer book, is especially
interesting given her later history. 

Fantastic cookbooks from the "Make Mine Rare" Department... Including Irma
Rombauer's predecessor to "The Joy of Cooking" and some other
seldom-tasted dishes from the past.....

CK01  Farmer, Fanny Merritt  PASTRY WRINKLES  Armour: Chicago 1912 32mo
wraps near fine. Not in Bitting         
      $25.00

CK02  Rombauer, Irma S.  UNUSUAL AND UNPUBLISHED RECIPES Woman's Alliance,
Church Of The Unity: St. Louis, n.d.[1929?]  vg or better 8vo  wraps
Hole-punched mimeo sheets, tied with ribbons. Before "The Joy of Cooking "
>from  1931. Apparently un-used. As is.                          $1000.00

CK03  Various  THE POCUMTUC HOUSEWIFE: A GUIDE TO DOMESTIC COOKERY AS IT
IS PRACTICED IN THE CONNECTUCUT VALLEY, n.p.: Deerfield, 1906  wraps.
small 8vo. lacking a small portion of lower left front cover, else VG+.
Revised, first published 1805      
       $50.00

CK04  Rombauer, Irma S.   THE JOY OF COOKING  n.p.: St. Louis, 1931 1st
8vo in original cloth.  Rear joint repaired, slightly soiled and darkened,
bottom corners bumped. Finger and minor staining in text. Owner name
ffep                                                $1000.00

CK05  Steel, F.A. & Gardiner, G., THE COMPLETE INDIAN HOUSEKEEPER AND COOK
Heinemann: London, 1904  3rd edition    
12mo in original. cloth Top of spine repaired, bookplate, some rubbing.
Front hinge cracked. Bitting p.447 Attar 286"   
                                $50.00

CK06  Herrick, Christine Terhune  SUNDAY NIGHT SUPPERS  Dana Estes:
Boston, 1907 1st 8vo in original cloth. Soiled, corners bumped  Bitting
p.225  
vg+                                                                                    
$25.00

CK07  Rombauer, Irma S.  STREAMLINED COOKING Bobbs-Merrill: Indianapolis,
1939 8vo in original cloth. Slight darkening at edges of binding, minor
soiling to foredge, some aging to contents, owner name. DJ-some wear to
corners, slight soiling and staining, couple of short tears. good. Not in
Bitting  vg   
                                                                                   
$250.00

CK08  Bird, William   FRENCH WINES  Havas: Paris, 1948   8vo in original
wraps. Soiled, paper clip mark at top front, some yellowing. Not in
Gabler   vg
                                $15.00

CK09  Various   SELECTED RECIPES CONTRIBUTED BY MEMBERS OF THE FARM HOME
DEPT. OF THE FARM BUREAU  Manteca Bulletin: San Joaquin, CA, n.d.
[1930?]   16mo in original wraps Soiled, some wear and tearing, minor
stain. Not in Bitting"   good
                                            $25.00

CK10  Crocker, Betty  BETTY CROCKER'S GUIDE TO EASY ENTERTAINING Golden:
NY, 1959   8vo in original cloth Slightly soiled. Includes 3rd Prize Gold
Medal Flour "Twin Star Contest" winner's letter from General Mills laid
in. Not in Bitting   vg+
                                      $25.00

CK11  Wilson, Mrs. Henry Lumpkin  TESTED RECIPE COOK BOOK   Foote &
Davies: Atlanta, 1895 1st   8vo in original cloth. Some soil, finger
marks, yellowing Bitting p.500 vg+
                                       $75.00

CK12  Henderson, Mrs. Mary F.  PRACTICAL COOKING AND DINNER GIVING  Harper
& Bros.: NY, 1892 8vo in original cloth.  Covers shellacked. Worn at
bottom of spine. Hinges repaired but cracked. Owner names, newspaper
clipping on fep. Ink notations on eps. Some yellowing. Reading copy.
Bitting 223 Sold w.a.f. As is.   
                                        $25.00

CK13  Matthiessen, Adele Gignoux NONPAREIL PRACTICAL COOK BOOK BY MRS.
E.A.M.  Jansen, McClurg: Chicago, 1882  8vo in original cloth.  Rubbed and
edgeworn, some soiling and staining, spine ends worn. Hinges repaired.
Some yellowing, pages chipped, finger stains, . Some pages have recipes in
pen. Better than it sounds Bitting 316                                 
$90.00

CK14  Bradley, Alice   DESSERTS INCLUDING LAYER CAKES AND PIES  Barrows:
Boston,1930   1st   8vo in original cloth.  Slight soil and stain to
contents. Bitting 53 gives date of 1931   vg+
                                  $50.00

CK15  Morehouse, Arthur G. THE .....LUCILE COOK BOOK  David Nicholson:
Baltimore,1892  8vo in original cloth. Later cloth tape on spine. Worn
edges. Collation same as Bitting 331 but printed on cover and first page:
"David Nicholson, St. Louis." "Later issue? 
g                                          $40.00

CK16  Landstreet, Mrs. Fairfax  et. al.  THE AUNTS' COOK-BOOK Lakeside
Press:  Cleveland, 1922  1st   8vo in original cloth Illustrated. Only
slightly soiled. Not in Bitting vg+
                                  $75.00

CK17  Duchamp, Henri, & Jenning, Albert  UNIVERSAL DICTIONARY OF MENUS IN
ENGLISH, FRENCH AND GERMAN Authors: London, 1888 12mo in original  cloth
Some soiling and leeching to cloth, yellowing. Driver 338.1 vg
                                        $40.00

CK18 None   GONE WITH THE WIND COOKBOOK Pebeco Toothpaste (1941?) 12mo in
illustrated wraps. VG except for stain at upper right foredge--not
affecting cover. Ink notation on back cover.

CK19 Ellsworth, M.W and Dickerson, F.B.  THE SUCCESSFUL HOUSEKEEPER 
Detroit: M.W. Ellsworth, 1885 no dj Front cover heavily rubbed and almost
illegible, spine the same. Boards appear to have been shellacked some time
after manufacture but most is off. Small cracks at top of spine, rubbing
at corners of spine and boards. Slight crack in front hinge. Some
yellowing at margins. Contemporary hairpin, used as place mark, left on.
More than just recipes, is a complete late-19th century home guide,
including daily care of canaries!
                                       $20.00

CK20 Weaver, Louise Bennett & LeCron, Helen Cowles  BETTINA'S BEST
DESSERTS  NY: A.L. Burt, 1923  no dj. Orig. cloth with considerable
fading. Yellow paint stain along bottom edge of front board, into front
board about 1/2-inch at lower right corner. Spine faded and lightly
chipped at top of spine. Several food spots inside in contents which are
darkening. Some color plates tipped in, two recipes laid in. Owner signed
and "Property of Southern Foods, Inc. and an address on ffep in ink.
                                                         $15.00

CK21 Brown, Theresa C. THERESA BROWN'S MODERN DOMESTIC COOKERY 
Charleston: Edw. Perry, 1871  no dj. Front hinge slightly cracked, some
signature cracks. recipes in ink on pastedown, ffep both sides, bfep
verso. Sketch of a plant on back pastedown. Orig. cloth cover heavily
stained and water-marked. Original color mostly faded away, spine faded
and stained bottom two-thirds. Spine and corners abraded. Pages only
slightly darkened. Recipes are from Mrs. Brown of South Carolina.
Contemporary poem from newspaper laid in. over-all, good
                                      $40.00

CK22  Bliss, Mrs.  THE PRACTICAL COOKBOOK  Philadelphia: David McKay,
1885   Small 8vo, first published in 1850. Author from Boston area. Front
pastedown slightly cracked at hinge. no dj. Cover in original cloth is
rubbed at the spine and edges but not seriously. Minor bumping. Rear hinge
has two small holes. Slight darkening of contents, else vg.
                                      $20.00

CK23  Eustis, Celestine  COOKING IN OLD CREOLE DAYS  NY: RH Russell, 1903 
Small 8vo Original decorated front cover pasted on with cloth spine.
Colors slightly faded, no title on spine, and corners abraded and bumped.
Spine has small nicks but is sturdy. Illustrated by Harper Pennington.
Occasional pages food-stained, slightly darkened, but over-all good. Some
of recipes or "receipts" are in French. Part of the charm of the book is
in the drawings, protected by onion skin leafs on which there are Creole
songs in ms. 
                                      $25.00

CK24  Ziemann, Hugo and Gillette, Mrs. F.L.  THE WHITE HOUSE COOKBOOK  NY:
Saalfield, 1920  Small 4to of 604 pages in orig. "enameled" cloth. Front
and rear hinges and joints loose and cracked. Contents yellowed and pages
somewhat brittle. Covers have numerous stains, mostly of food. Illustrated
with photographs of various First Ladies. Edith Boling Wilson's photo
loose, but laid in. Ziemann billed as "Steward of the White House" on
title page. w.a.f.
                                      $10.00

-- 
Second Story Books
12160 Parklawn Dr.
Rockville, MD 20852
(301) 770-0477