Subject: Re: Looking for Mead Recipes

From: [email-masked] (Nelson Goforth)
Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 23:18:52 -0700

The recipe that I've used several times for yer basic still mead is:

12 lb honey
4 tsp acid blend
5 tsp yeast nutient
14 g champagne yeast (2 pkg)

boil honey, acid blend and yeast nutrient with 1 gallon of water (you
don't really have to boil, or really even heat honey, supposedly, but I
do). Add to the fermenter with enough water to make 5 gallons. Pitch yeast
when the mixture has cooled to 90F or lower. (I start the yeast in a
little water and honey). Ferment 1.5 to 2 months. Age 10 months or better.

Also, try the Papazian book on mead for the variations on a theme
(melomels, hypocrases, cysers, and a history of the drink. There are some
internet resources on mead (and print as well - The Meadmaker's Journal
being one) but I don't have the material at hand.

_____________________________________________________________________
 Nelson Goforth                | 
 [email-masked] |  
 [email-masked]              |  
 [email-masked]     |

---

From: [email-masked] (John E. Taylor III)
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 12:28:51 -0400

Check out the Mead Home Page at

     http://www.atd.ucar.edu/rdp/gfc/mead/mead.html

I can't vouch for it, as I haven't been there, but rumor suggests it has
some useful mead-related information.

--
John Taylor    (W3ZID)      |  "The opinions expressed are those of the
e-mail: [email-masked] |   writer and not of Rohm and Haas Company."

---

From: [email-masked] (Gregory Owen)
Date: 24 May 1995 11:17:57 GMT

At the ftp site ftp.stanford.edu, in the directory
/pub/clubs/homebrew/mead, you'll find a recipe book that came from one
of the regulars of the Mead Lover's Digest.  It is called
BeesLees.txt.  There is also a FAQ and other related information
there.

Greg Owen { [email-masked],@xis.xerox.com } http://www.cs.tufts.edu/~gowen/
 1.01 GCS/GO d++ p+ c++ l++ u++ e+ -m+ s++/- n- h !(f)? g+ -w+ t+ r-- y?
 "I want to permeate the air you breathe/slide my way under your skin/place 
myself behind your eyes/and watch you, watch me, looking in." Katell Keineg