Subject: Re: mead,marriage&herbs

From: [email-masked] (Alissa Sorenson)
Date: 25 May 1995 21:30:59 -0500

: > my fiance and i are getting married and want to make mead instead of
: >serving champange for the wedding. we are wondering what herbs and
: >spices were historically used for weddings. the herbs/spices also
: >have to taste good together. we are copnsidering cinnamon, cloves,
: >and gigner purely for taste. 

: Just to let you know.  A good mead takes at the very least, 1 year to mature.
: If you try an and drink it before then it is awful.  I made a batch awhile back
: and I was anxious to try it.  I did after just 3 months of maturing and it was
: awful.  After a year's wait it was absolutely wonderful.  Just wanted to tell
: you this in case your marriage is due within a year.

: -- 
: 					Laterness,	0 0
: 					Jim 	        _'_
: [email-masked]                                 U
: (All flames are cheerfully ignored!)

Absolutely right.  That's why it is suggested that you bury your mead in the 
backyard after you've bottled it. :)

Technically, mead made with herbs is called metheglin.  If you are still 
intent on brewing, you might try using orange blossom or peel, since orange is 
traditionally associated with love.  That would also blend nicely with the 
spices you've already mentioned.  Additionally apple, chamomile, and even 
rose petals could be used, you'd just have to decide what suits your taste.  

We'll be bottling our latest batch of blackberry mead (technically melomel, 
because fruit is used) this weekend, and we're going to experiment by 
bottling half the batch with chamomile tea added.

You might try asking someone on the rec.crafts.brewing newsgroup too.  Good 
luck! - Alissa Sorenson