Subject: Re: Mustard

From: [email-masked](Elise Fleming )
Date: 4 Jan 1997 15:50:33 GMT

Greetings!  I happened to run across this recipe whilst reading in bed
last night.  Keep in mind that the medieval or Renaissance cook may not
have mixed vinegar with mustard, but this is a start.  And, Badger, you
are welcome to come peruse my cookery volumes to see if there is closer
to the time period you want.

"Mustard" by Columella, _De Re Rustica_, Book XII, as printed in _Tales
of the Table, A History of Western Cuisine_, Barbara Norman, 1972,
Prentice-Hall, Inc.

"Carefully cleanse and sift mustard-seed, then wash it in cold water
and, when it has been well cleaned, leave it in the water for two
hours.  Next take it out and, after it has been squeezed in the hands,
throw it into a new or thoroughly cleaned mortar and pound it with
pestles.  When it has been pounded, collect the whole mash in the
middle of the mortar and compress it with the flat of the hand.  After
you have compressed it, scarify it and, after placing a few live coals
upon it, pour water mixed with nitre on it in order to eliminate any
bitterness and paleness from it.  Then immediately lift up the mortar,
so that all moisture may be drained away, and after this add sharp
white vinegar and mix it with the pestle and strain it.  This liquid
serves very well for preserving turnips.  If, however, you should wish
to prepare mustard for the use of your guests, when you have squeezed
out the mustard, add pine-kernels which should be as fresh as possible,
and almonds, and carefully crush them together after pouring in
vinegar.  Finish the process in the manner I have described above.  You
will find this mustard not only suitable as a sauce but also pleasing
to the eye; for, if it is carefully made, it is of an exquisite
brilliance."

Alys/Elise