Subject: Re: Making vinegar

From: [email-masked] (EWhiteVHP)
Date: 12 Aug 1995 22:31:32 -0400

These directions show how to make vinegar at home using readily available
ingredients and supplies.
------------------
In the late 1800s chemists learned to make acetic acid. Manufacturers
added
water to reduce its strength to 5%, colored it and sold it as vinegar.
Imitation vinegar is still manufactured and by law the label must state
that
it is diluted acetic acid. Diluted acetic acid is inexpensive and lacks
the
vitamins, minerals and esters found in fermented vinegar; its flavor and
aroma are also inferior.

It takes good alcohol (wine or beer) to make fermented vinegar. The
hit-or-miss method of making vinegar by allowing sugar and water to
ferment
is not wise. The fermentation of sugar to alcohol by wild yeast is
followed
by a conversion of the alcohol to acetic acid by wild bacteria. Chances of
failure or undesirable tastes and aromas are high. Control the process by
using great care in cleanliness and introducing chosen yeast and bacteria
to
obtain quality vinegar every time.

General Directions
Winemaking suppliers list acetobacter as "mother" or vinegar culture.
These
cultures convert alcohol to acetic acid (vinegar). Most suppliers sell red
and white wine vinegar cultures. Some sell cider, malt and mead cultures
as
well. Any culture may be combined with any type alcohol to produce
vinegar.

Vinegar should contain at least 5% acid as required for preserving or
pickling. Specialty vinegar contains acid as high as 7%. Beer containing
5.5%
alcohol will yield about 5% acid. Wine containing 11 to 12% alcohol must
be
diluted to 5.5 to 7% alcohol before using it to make vinegar.

Acid test kits, sold by winemaking suppliers, are used to determine the
acidity of vinegar. Acid tests are easy to perform and instructions come
with
the kit.

Sanitize
Sanitize utensils and containers that will touch the vinegar by soaking
them
for 20 minutes in a solution of 2 tablespoons chlorine laundry bleach to 1
gallon water. Rinse everything well with hop tap water. Hot tap water is
relatively sterile after being held at high temperatures for several hours
in
the hot water heating tank.

Vinegar Method I
3 measures beer, ale or vinegar stock (5.5 to 7% alcohol)
1 measure vinegar culture with active bacteria

Directions
Vinegar leaches molecules from iron and aluminum. Use sanitized glass,
enamel, stainless steel or stoneware containers less than two-thirds full.
Cover the container with a cloth or stopper it with cotton to keep insects
out, while allowing air to freely reach the stock. Store the mixture in a
dark place.

Temperatures:
Temperatures between 80 and 85 degrees are ideal. Low or fluctuating
temperatures slow the process. At 75 to 85 degrees F, it will take 6 to 8
weeks for conversion. At 85 to 90 degrees F, it can take 4 to 6 weeks for
conversion. Temperatures over 95 degrees F slow conversion; above 140
degrees F, the bacteria die.

An acetic film called "mother" will form. This smooth, leathery, grayish
film
becomes quite thick and heavy. It should not be disturbed. It often
becomes
heavy enough to fall and is succeeded by another formation. If the mother
falls, remove and discard it. An acid test will indicate when all of the
alcohol is converted to vinegar. Part of the vinegar may be withdrawn and
pasteurized. The remaining unpasteurized vinegar may be used as a culture
to
start another batch. Living bacteria are in the liquid. A piece of the
mother
is not necessary to start a new batch.

Add beer or diluted wine to the culture every 4 to 8 weeks, depending on
the
temperature maintained and when most of the alcohol is converted to
vinegar
(as determined by an acid test). Adding more alcohol to the culture keeps
it
alive, prevents spoilage and increases the quality of vinegar. If
unpasteurized vinegar is exposed to
oxygen without alcohol present, bacteria can convert the vinegar to carbon
dioxide and water. 

Vinegar Method II
2 measures dry wine (11 to 12% alcohol)
1 measure water (boiled 15 minutes and allowed to cool)
1 measure vinegar culture with active bacteria
Follow the directions in Method I. Purchased wine can be used, but some
commercial wines contain sulfites or preservatives that could kill the
vinegar bacteria.

Vinegar Method III
(For winemakers only)
Wine containing less than 10% alcohol is subject to spoilage. This formula
to
make 7% alcohol is an ideal vinegar stock. Follow good winemaking
procedures.
When the fermentation is complete (specific gravity 1.000 or below) this
low-alcohol wine can be converted to vinegar as directed in Method I.

1 1/2 pounds weight honey (specific gravity 1.050)
yeast nutrient or energizer (as package directs)
4 teaspoons acid blend (or 7.5 ppt tartaric acid with an acid test kit)
1/4 teaspoon tannin
wine yeast
add water to equal 1 gallon

Homemade wine
Dry wine containing 11 to 12% alcohol can be diluted after fermentation
(specific gravity 1.000 or below). It's important that the wine contain no
excess sugar. Excess sugar increases the chance of spoilage and the
formation
of
a slime-like substance in the vinegar. The wine does not have to be clear
before it is combined with the vinegar culture. Vinegar clears as it ages.
At
the last racking, do not add campden tablets or potassium sorbate. Dilute
the
mead as directed in Method
II and follow the directions in Method I.

Preserving vinegar
To preserve vinegar, add 3 campden tablets per gallon of vinegar
or
Heat the vinegar to 155 degrees F and hold the temperature for 30 minutes.
After pasteurizing vinegar add one tablespoon 80-proof vodka to each
gallon
and age it. If desired to enhance the bouquet, up to one cup oak or beech
chips may also be added.
Pasteurized or sulphited vinegar can no longer produce more vinegar.
Pasteurizing kills vinegar baceria and prevents the formation of "mother"
which could lead to spoilage. Pasteurized vinegar keeps indefinitely when
tightly capped and stored in a dark place at room temperature.
Temperatures
above 160 degrees F cause a loss of acidity, flavor and aroma.

Aging vinegar
Vinegar has a strong, sharp bite when first made. It becomes mellow when
aged. The esters formed during aging, like those in wine, develop after a
period of six months or more when stored at a cool, steady temperature (50
to
60 degrees F is ideal). This undisturbed rest also allows suspended solids
to
fall, making the vinegar clear and bright. Siphon the clear, aged vinegar
off
the deposit of solids into sanitized bottles. Introduce as little oxygen
as
possible. Winemaking suppliers sell attractive vinegar bottles. Use corks
or
plastic caps to avoid vinegar contact with metal. If corks are used,
the necks of the vinegar bottles should be dipped several times into
melted
wax to form an air-tight seal. The quality of vinegar improves for up to
two
years and then gradually declines. Fermented vinegar can be sold without
the
special permits or licenses required for alcoholic beverages. It costs the
same as a good bottle of wine.
----------------------
Winemaking suppliers (United States) The following companies carry a
complete
line of winemaking supplies, including vinegar cultures.

Beer & Winemaking Supplies, Inc.
154 King Street
Northampton MA 01060
Telephone: 413-586-0150
(The only source I've seen for mead vinegar cultures)

Alternative Beverage
114-O Freeland Lane
Charlotte NC 28217
Telephone 704-527-9643

The Cellar
P O Bx 33525
Seattle WA 98133
Telephone: 206-365-7660

Great Fermentations
87 Larkspur St
San Rafael CA 94901
Telephone: 415-459-2520

This article is taken from "Super Formulas, Arts and Crafts: How to make
more
than 360 useful products that contain honey and beeswax" Copyright 1993
Elaine C. White. All rights reserved. ISBN 0-963-7539-7-5. This book is
available from the publisher: Valley Hills Press, 1864 Ridgeland Drive,
Starkville MS 39759 USA. In the US telephone 1-800-323-7102; other
countries
call 601-323-7100. $14.95 includes price of the book and shipping.
Visa/Master cards accepted. Free brochure available from Valley Hills
Press.
Just ask.
end

Elaine C. White
C/O Valley Hills Press
1864 Ridgeland Drive
Starkville MS 39759 USA
Telephone: 601-323-7100