Subject: Calcium needed at night?

From: [email-masked] (Jay Mann)
Date: 24 Jun 1996 18:35:39 GMT

On a bottle of calcium apatite pills recommended for treatment of 
osteoporosis, a daily dosage of 1-4 pills (550 mg Ca/pill)is recommended 
for consumption with meals . . . but in addition the consumer is warned 
that the evening intake must not be skipped.  Why?  Is calcium metabolism 
different at night?  I realise that prolonged weightlessness leads to 
calcium loss, as in the case of Russian cosmonauts.  Does the same effect 
occur every night, and will maintaining a high calcium level in the blood 
prevent or reverse it?

Jay D Mann  <[email-masked]>
Christchurch, New Zealand

---

From: Brian Jordan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 96 06:59:31 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "Jay Mann" writes:

> <snip> I realise that prolonged weightlessness leads to 
I can't comment on diurnal variation, my books are at work, but I can say
that blood calcium concentrations are very tightly controlled, and would not
normally be affected by short term changes in calcium intake.
-- 
Brian Jordan at kobold press
[email-masked]