Subject: [sci.bio.food-science] Welcome - Read this First! (FAQ 2/3)

From: [email-masked] (Paul E. J. King)
Date: 2 Sep 1996 16:21:14 GMT

Archive-Name: sci/food-science-faq/part2

Posting-Frequency: weekly
Last-modified: 1996/08/14

RE-POST: FAQ  2/3- SCI.BIO.FOOD-SCIENCE Frequently-Asked Questions

See 1/3 for preliminary notes and changes to this FAQ. See this part also for a
list of food science related sites or a list of abbreviations.

See 3/3 for general questions and answers about food science.

*******************************************************************************

IV.DEFINITIONS AND INTERPRETATIONS OF FOOD RELATED TERMS

         In the following list of definitions of food-related words and
    phrases, some of the items relate to the requirements under UK and/or
    European laws, regulations or Codes of Practice. In the near future
    anther list will be given referring to the requirements under US laws
    and regulations, and, in time, those of other countries.

         Any questions or comments about these definitions and
    interpretations should be directed to: <[email-masked]

    INTRODUCTION

         In 1987, the Technical and Legislative Committee (TLC) of the
    Institute of Food Science & Technology, conscious that many
    descriptions of, or claims about, foods were made using ill-defined
    terms which were potentially misleading, set out to remedy that
    situation. Making use both of published material and the expertise of
    the Committee, it prepared and issued objective "definitions" for
    certain key words, a few of which were not considered potentially
    confusing but merely useful to include.

         The intention was not strict definitions in the dictionary
    sense. Some were accounts or interpretations of the limitations
    within which the use of a particular term was justified. Moreover,
    the intention was not to produce a comprehensive dictionary of
    food-related terms, but rather a guide to food scientists and
    technologists, and others professionally concerned with descriptions
    of foods, particularly in labelling and advertising. In 1989, the
    list was expanded and published in Food Science & Technology Today 3
    (2), 128-9.

         In the period since that publication, some of those terms have
    been "officially" defined in legislation, official guidelines or
    Codes of Practice - and it is gratifying to note the extent to which
    these follow the lines of the definitions in the 1989 document. In
    the same period, members of IFST and of the Association of Public
    Analysts have suggested additional terms that are in common usage but
    are ill-defined or sometimes misused. Accordingly, the two
    professional bodies have decided to produce jointly an updated list.

         The list given here includes some terms that were in the 1989
    list (in some cases modified or updated); and some terms that have
    been defined in the interim in legislation or in codes or guides.
    Many of the terms listed here have wider connotations in relation to
    which they may be defined or interpreted; but here it is only the
    food-related usage that is addressed.

         We draw attention to the category Marketing Terms at the end of
    this document, in which have been listed a number of terms often used
    without real meaning in relation to manufactured food products.

         As before, it is hoped that the use, by professionals, of these
    definitions and interpretations will help to minimise confusion and
    misleading use of the terms. With any such exercise, some readers
    will have differing views on individual items, or on the desirability
    of including other terms. IFST and APA will be glad to receive
    constructive comments from members, for consideration when this
    document is next revised and updated.

         Finally, it is pointed out that definitions other than those
    derived from EU or UK legislation, and all interpretations expressed
    here, are opinion, albeit opinion based on the views of the experts
    involved in their compilation. The information in this document may
    not be taken as binding on Public Analysts or enforcement authorities,
    and, in the event of dispute, only the courts can decide.

                                                            Malvern Barnett
                                                            J Ralph Blanchfield

Biopolymer 

         A compound consisting of repeating units of a single
    biologically produced molecule, either straight chain or branched,
    e.g. amylose, amylopectin and cellulose.

Biotechnology

         The application of biological science to the production,
    modification or processing of materials. It encompasses
    long-established activities such as traditional plant and animal
    breeding, brewing, bread-making and effluent treatment, and the more
    modern techniques of genetic modification and the use of fermentation
    technology for the production of some novel protein foods. Though
    meal preparation is arguably a form of biotechnology, it is already
    covered in other newsgroups, such as rec.cooking.* hierarchy.

Boiled

         Having been cooked in boiling water (or, by extension, by
    steaming, as in 'boil-in-the-bag').

Chilled food

         Perishable food which, to extend the time during which it
    remains wholesome, is kept within a specified range of temperature
    usually between 2 and 8 degC.

Chilled food chain

         The sequence of temperature controlled operations after initial
    harvesting, and including chilled transport, cooling during and after
    production, chilled storage, distribution and retailing, through to
    domestic storage until preparation for final consumption.

Comercial Sterility

         A sterile product is one free from viable microorganisms, i.e.
    those capable of reproducing under optimum conditions for growth.
    'Commercial sterility' is a term commonly used in the canning
    industry meaning the condition achieved by the application of heat
    sufficient to render the processed product free from viable
    microorganisms (including those of known public health significance),
    capable of growing in the food under normal non-refrigerated
    temperatures at which the food is likely to be held during
    distribution and storage.

Convenience food

         A manufactured product requiring little or no preparation (other
    than heating, diluting or dissolving in water, where appropriate)
    before consumption.

Cooked

         Having been subjected to a heating process sufficient to render
    the food suitable for consumption.

Critical control point

         Any point in a specific food system where loss of control may
    result in an unacceptable risk.

Crude fibre

         The structural component of the plant cell wall being the
    residue obtained after consecutive acid and alkali digestion of a
    food or food material. Crude fibre is determined for nutritional
    declarations on animal feeding stuffs and also for defining brown
    bread in the Bread and Flour Regulations 1984.

Dairy

         When used as a descriptive term for food, refers exclusively to
    milk and milk products. In the EU its use is legally governed by
    Council Regulation 1898/87 on the Protection of Designations used in
    the marketing of Milk and Milk Products, as supplemented by
    Commission Decision 888/566/EEC. Help in interpreting some of these
    provisions was given by a MAFF Guidance Note (November 1989). The
    Council Regulation was subsequently implemented by the UK in the Milk
    and Milk Products (Protection of Designations) Regulations 1990.

Dehydrated (food)

         Food or food products from which all but a small percentage of
    the water has been removed under controlled conditions.

Designer food(s)

         See Functional Foods and Marketing Terms.

Disinfection

         The application of effective chemical or physical agents or
    processes to a cleaned surface or to a water supply to reduce the
    number of microorganisms to a level consistent with good hygiene
    practice.

Dietary fibre

         In scientific terms, dietary fibre is a mixture of components
    derived from plant cell wall material and non-structural
    polysaccharides, as well as non-starch polysaccharides added to
    foods. It includes non-digestible polysaccharides such as cellulose,
    hemicelluloses, gums, pectins, mucilages and lignin. From a nutrition
    point of view, some authorities also include 'resistant starch' (i.e.
    starch that is resistant to enzymic degradation, usually as a result
    of processing).

         Currently, there is no universally accepted method for
    determination of dietary fibre. For some years the UK Ministry of
    Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (MAFF) has adopted the definition,
    for the purposes of label declaration, that dietary fibre is
    non-starch polysaccharides as determined by the Englyst method; but
    in Guidelines issued in March 1994, MAFF indicated that analysts may
    use any other methods which give similar results. The Englyst method
    excludes resistant starch. Most EU countries and the USA use the AOAC
    Prosky method. This method includes resistant starch and the value
    for dietary fibre obtained is therefore invariably higher than that
    by the Englyst method. It should be noted, however, that no
    recognised analytical method fully corresponds to biological
    performance.

Emulsion

         A term descriptive of a food or food material consisting of a
    stable blend of two or more otherwise immiscible liquids, usually an
    oil and an aqueous phase, achieved by appropriate physical means and
    usually with the incorporation of emulsifying and stabilising agents.

Enriched

         See "fortified foods"

Fast Food

         This term is not descriptive of food per se, but categorises a
    type of catering outlet, providing, within seconds of being ordered,
    counter delivery of freshly-prepared food items capable of being
    eaten without cutlery. This delivery is mainly dependent on
    scheduling based on accurate anticipation of fluctuating demand, a
    production system and staff capable of keeping pace with it, and
    sufficient counter servers to minimise queuing. Because some foods
    (e.g. burgers) have lent themselves more readily to this type of
    operation, the term has come to be applied to them too.

Fermentation

         The process of chemical change in animal or plant material,
    catalysed by enzymes of biological origin. It may be intended, as in
    brewing of beer or vinegar, or unintended and undesirable, as in food
    spoilage.

Fermented (food)

         Food material having been subjected to fermentation

Fibre

         Sometimes used synonymously with "dietary fibre" including in
    European and UK nutrition labelling legislation

Flavour/flavoured

         The term 'flavour' may have reference to sensory quality of a
    food as perceived by a combination of smell and taste. When used as a
    noun, 'flavour', for which the legally correct term is 'flavouring',
    is defined in the UK Flavouring in Food Regulations 1992 as a
    material used to impart odour, taste or both to a food.

Food

         The Codex Alimentarius defines 'Food' as "any substance, whether
    processed, semi processed or raw, which is intended for human
    consumption and includes drink, chewing gum and any substance which
    has been used in the manufacture, preparation or treatment of food,
    but does not include cosmetics or tobacco or substances only used as
    drugs".

         In the UK Food Safety Act 1990, 'food' is defined as including
    drink, food ingredients, food additives, chewing gum and similar
    substances, but excluding live animals or live fish (unless consumed
    alive), animal feeds, controlled drugs and medicinal products bearing
    a product licence. This definition states what 'food' includes and
    excludes (similarly to the latter part of the Codex definition) but
    it is deficient in failing to define what food is.

Food hygiene

         All environmental factors, practices, processes and precautions
    involved in protecting food from contamination by any agency, and
    preventing any organism present from multiplying to an extent that
    would expose consumers to risk or result in premature spoilage or
    decomposition of food.

Fortified (food)

         Three separate circumstances may be defined: Restored, enriched,
    and fortified foods, as described here:

         Restore

               the addition of nutrients to foods in order to restore the level
         of those nutrients that were originally present, but have been
         destroyed or lost in processing.

         Enrich

                   The addition to a food of one or more nutrients which were
         already present in that food in lower than desirable amounts.

         Fortify

               The addition to a food of significant quantities of a nutrient
         that was not originally present in that food or was present only in
         nutritionally insignificant amount.

Free from ....

         For food to be described as 'free from X' (or by terms having a
    similar import) the food, at the point of sale, must be either free
    from X when tested by a standard reference method of analysis or it
    must contain no more than a specified maximum of X.

Free from added ....

         If a food in its original state contains X, it may be described
    as 'free from added X' (or by terms having a similar import) only if
    no X has been introduced, directly or indirectly, via any ingredient
    or during production, manufacture, processing, packaging, storage,
    distribution or point of sale. MAFF Guidelines (1993) specify that
    'no added sugar' means that no sugars, or foods composed mainly of
    sugars, should be added to a food or any of its ingredients; and that
    'no added salt' means that no salt or sodium compounds should be
    added to the food or to any of its ingredients.

         It should be noted, however, that in the instance of a food
    which strictly complies with the foregoing but itself has a high
    sugar content (for example date paste) the description 'no added
    sugar', though true, could be held to be misleading (Section 3(2) of
    the Trade Descriptions Act 1968).

Fresh

         The condition of a short shelf-life perishable unprocessed food
    prior to perceptible evidence of physical, chemical or
    microbiological change. Fresh is normally applied to unprocessed
    foods e.g. fresh eggs, fresh meat, showing that they are in their
    original state. It is also used in apparently contradictory terms,
    e.g. fresh pasteurised cream to distinguish it from more highly
    processed sterilised cream.

Functional

         Fulfilling a specific physical, chemical or biological function.

Functional food(s)

         All foods are functional, and to term some (as distinct from
    others) as 'functional' is illogical. The term is one of the
    marketing-coined names (others are 'neutraceuticals' and 'designer
    foods') to categorise foods which are considered or claimed to offer
    specific health benefits while avoiding the requirement to be
    licensed medicines (See Marketing terms, below).

Genetic modification

         see FAQ in section V (including within-species and
    trans-species) Part 2, Q 7, 8, and 9

Genetically modified-See FAQ same sections as above

Genuine

         'Genuine' in connection with foods means an authentic type or
    source. It serves to distinguish ingredients which might otherwise be
    synthetic (e.g. 'vanilla ice cream, made with genuine vanilla') or it
    may establish the origin or type of a food (e.g. genuine Manzanilla
    olives, genuine Italian olive oil).

GMP

         'Good manufacturing practice' (GMP) is that part of a food
    control operation aimed at ensuring that products are consistently
    manufactured to a specified quality appropriate to their intended
    use. It thus has two complementary and interacting components; the
    manufacturing operation itself and the control system and procedures.
    Reference should be made to the IFST publication 'Food and Drink -
    Good Manufacturing Practice: A Guide to its Responsible Management'.
    (3rd Edition, 1991).

HACCP

         Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) is a preventive
    system of food control. It involves examining and analysing every
    stage of a food-related operation to identify and assess hazards
    (q.v., below); determining the 'critical control points' (q.v.,
    above) at which action is required to control the identified hazards;
    establishing the critical limits that must be met at, and procedures
    to monitor, each critical control point; establishing corrective
    procedures when a deviation is identified by monitoring;
    documentation of the HACCP plan and verification procedures to
    establish that it is working correctly.

HAZOP

         Hazard and Operability Studies (HAZOP) is a systematic
    structured approach to questioning the sequential stages of a
    proposed operation in order to optimise the efficiency and the
    management of risk. Thus, the application of HAZOP to the design of a
    proposed food-related operation, should result in a system in which
    as many critical control points as possible have been eliminated,
    making the subsequent application of HACCP during subsequent
    operations much easier to carry out.

Hazard

         Any intrinsic property of a system, operation, material or
    situation that could, in certain circumstances, lead to an adverse
    consequence. In food terms, this particularly refers to an adverse
    consequence (health risk or loss by spoilage) to the consumer.

Health food

         This is essentially a marketing term, the meaning of which has
    never been clear. There is no legal basis and no evident objective
    justification for the term, which implies a superiority over foods
    not so described. So-called health foods fall into four main
    categories, namely

         1) products in respect of which there is adequate scientific
    substantiation for the specific permissible nutrition and/or health
    claims made, and which are labelled in accordance with relevant
    legislation;

         2) those in respect of which there is 'folklore' and some
    scientific evidence for the claims, but falling short of
    substantiation;

         3) those making claims for which there is little or no
    scientific evidence;

         4) other products that are frequently sold in health food shops
    e.g. 'wholefoods' (q.v.).

         It should be noted that some products in categories 2 and 3 have
    given rise to concerns about their safety, which, in certain cases,
    have led to prohibition.

Hermetically sealed container

         Strictly, an 'hermetically sealed container' is one that is
    sealed so as to be air-tight. Commercially sterile food products may
    be packed in non-metallic containers that are not completely
    air-tight. In the latter context, an 'hermetically sealed container'
    has been defined as one that is designed and intended to be secure
    against entry of microorganisms.

High in .....

         Complying either with a declared or, where existing, a
    legally-specified minimum, or a legally-specified percentage increase
    compared with a product not making a "high in" claim for the
    parameters involved."

Higher in (increased) .....

         Complying either with a declared or, where existing, a
    legally-specified percentage increase compared with a product not
    making such a claim, for the parameter involved.

Home made

         This term has no defined meaning but it implies that a food has
    been prepared on a small scale, either on domestic premises or
    premises not associated with large scale manufacture.

Improved

         Primarily a marketing term, and sometimes used in conjunction
    with 'new', it may cover a wide variety of circumstances, including
    minor cosmetic changes, cost-cutting changes, and formulation changes
    to make the product more acceptable to purchasers. It is the latter
    case that most properly justifies the use of the term.

Instant

         This term is strictly justified only in the cases of dry powders
    or mixes which rehydrate instantly, i.e. in a matter of a few seconds
    (e.g. instant coffee, instant tea) and should be reserved for such
    speedy action. By extension, however, the term has sometimes been
    misused by applying it to dry mix products which rehydrate faster
    than some others but still take a few minutes rather than a few
    seconds. For the latter, a term such as 'rapid' would be more
    appropriate.

Irradiated

         Having been subjected to ionising radiation.

Isotonic

         A term applied to a liquid product, e.g. a drink, having osmotic
    properties approximating to those of blood serum, i.e. 280 milli-
    osmoles per kg.

Light/Lite

         These terms are used to signify a lower energy or lower fat
    version of a particular food, [and therefore should comply with
    conditions applying to a reduced .... claim. (see Reduced .......)].
    That would imply at least 25% reduction of the norm, but some opinion
    holds that it should mean at least 50% reduction.

Low calorie/low energy

         A description which may be applied to foods which, when ready
    for consumption, have an energy value no greater than 167 kJ (40
    kcal) per 100 g (for the purposes of theUK Food Labelling Regulations
    1984, intense sweeteners and similar products are exempted from this
    limit).

Low in .....

         Complying either with a declared or, where existing, a
    legally-specified maximum or a legally-specified percentage reduction
    compared with a product not making a 'low in' claim for the
    parameters involved.

Manufacture

         The complete cycle of production of a food product from the
    acquisition of all materials, through all stages of subsequent
    processing, packaging and storage, to the despatch of the finished
    product.

Meat

         'Meat' means the flesh, including fat and the skin, rind,
    gristle and sinew in amounts naturally associated with the flesh, of
    any animal or bird which is normally used for human consumption, but
    including only those parts of the carcase listed in Part I of
    Schedule 2 of the UK Meat Products and Spreadable Fish Products
    Regulations 1984.

Natural

         The extensive use of 'natural' in labelling and advertising
    arises from a public misconception, that 'natural' necessarily means
    'safe', healthy', 'nutritious' (in contrast to its perceived
    opposites, 'unnatural', 'unsafe', 'chemical', 'processed', etc). The
    consequent marketing view that 'natural' should be used wherever
    possible to reassure those fearing adverse effects of 'unnatural'
    foods, resulted in widespread indiscriminate use of 'natural' despite
    the efforts of food scientists and technologists in industry and
    enforcement to restrict its use to justifiable cases. Although based
    on a misconception of the significance of 'natural', if some
    consumers wish to select foods which are 'natural', they are entitled
    to information that is meaningful and not misleading.

         In 1989 MAFF published FAC guidelines on the detailed conditions
    and circumstances in which the use of 'natural' or similar terms) was
    justified. In summary these were (a) to describe single foods of a
    traditional nature to which nothing has been added and which have
    been subjected only to such processing as to render them suitable for
    human consumption.; (b) to describe food ingredients obtained from
    recognised food sources, and which meet the criteria in (a); (c) to
    describe flavouring substances (but see 'natural flavouring', below)
    or permitted food additives obtained from recognised food sources by
    appropriate physical processes or traditional food preparation
    processes. The reference in (a) to 'a traditional nature' was
    intended to exclude foods such as mycoprotein which may be products
    of natural sources but were not considered by FAC to accord with the
    public perception of 'natural'. Compound food should not be described
    as 'natural' but could be described as 'made from natural
    ingredients' if all of the ingredients comply with (b) or (c). In the
    cases of foods not complying with the above criteria, 'natural' or
    its derivatives should not be used in brand or fancy names or
    incorporated in meaningless copy. Phrases such as 'naturally good',
    naturally better', etc should be avoided.

         At the time IFST urged that the abuse of the term was such that
    these conditions should be embodied in legislation, but Ministers
    decided otherwise. Nevertheless, although these conditions do not
    have de jure force of law, enforcement authorities and courts can use
    them as yardsticks in assessing whether a particular usage is
    misleading; so to that extent they have de facto legal force.

Natural flavouring

         The UK Flavourings in Food (Amendment) Regulations 1994 now
    provides a legal definition to supersede that provided in relation to
    flavourings in the FAC Guidelines on the use of the word 'natural'.
    It provides that a 'natural' flavouring may be obtained from
    vegetable or animal material by enzymatic or microbiological methods
    as well as physical ones; and that if the name of the flavouring
    refers to its vegetable or animal origin, it can only be designated
    'natural' if it is derived wholly or mainly from the named vegetable
    or animal source.

Nature-Identical

         a term applied to flavouring substances or mixtures thereof that
    have been synthesised or isolated from aromatic raw materials but are
    chemically identical with substances found in natural products used
    for human consumption - in the US this is otherwise known as
    "Artificial flavor".

New 

         Primarily a marketing term, and sometimes used in conjunction
    with 'improved', it may cover a wide variety of circumstances,
    ranging from a minor formulation or packaging change from a
    previously marketed product, through a product that is new to the
    manufacturer but very similar to products already on the market, to a
    product that is really innovative. How long can a product labelled
    'New' continue to be so labelled? There is no official answer, and it
    is extremely difficult to give one. This is because a new product may
    be subjected to test marketing in a particular part of the country,
    and then 'rolled out' progressively until it reaches national
    distribution, perhaps taking up to two years in doing so. A maximum
    of one year from national distribution seems a reasonable limit.

Novel (food, process)

         Food or food ingredients produced from raw material that has not
    hitherto been used (or has been used only to a small extent) for
    human consumption in the area of the world in question, or that is
    produced by a new or extensively modified process not previously used
    in the production of food. A question open to debate is "At what
    point does a novel food (e.g. mycoprotein), having come on the market
    and being fairly widely consumed, cease to be a novel food?"

         Any person or company contemplating marketing in the UK a novel
    food or one containing a novel ingredient should make a prior
    submission to the Advisory Committee on Novel Foods and Processes
    (ACNFP).

Nutraceutical

         See Functional food.

Organic

         (See FAQ part 1, No. 20 for comparisons between organic and
    other foods)

         This term, like 'natural', has been used for marketing purposes,
    in this case to reassure those who fear the use of 'chemicals' in
    agriculture. In the past, the meaning of 'organic' was by no means
    clear, and instances were found of so-called organic products
    containing higher agricultural chemical residues than their
    non-organic counterparts. If some consumers desire organic produce
    they are entitled to know it complies with certain standards.

         The Organic Products Regulations 1992 give effect to EU Council
    Regulation EEC No 2091/91 on organic production of agricultural
    products and foodstuffs. The use of the word 'organic' is restricted
    to agricultural crops and livestock and products made from them, in
    compliance with the detailed provisions of Annexes I, II and III of
    the Council Regulation. The control body in the UK is Food From
    Britain, carrying out its duties through the UK Register of Organic
    Food Standards (UKROFS) which is based at the Food From Britain
    office.

         Compound foods may be described as organic if at least 95% of
    the ingredients (apart from added water) are of organic origin. If
    the compound food contains less than 95% but more than 50% organic
    ingredients, the food may not be described as organic but the organic
    components may be identified as such in the list of ingredients.

Original

         This adjective may be justified in respect of a well established
    product, to distinguish it from subsequent variants marketed by the
    manufacturer. Likewise it could be used in respect of a product which
    was first in the marketplace to distinguish it from subsequent
    'me-too' imitations.

Probiotic

         This term, as a noun or adjective, has previously been used to
    refer to 'microorganisms and substances which contribute to the
    intestinal microbial balance'. However, the inclusion of 'substances'
    created the paradox that antibiotics could be probiotics if they were
    specific enough to destroy harmful bacteria thereby restoring the
    intestinal microbial balance. Accordingly, it is now suggested that
    'probiotic' should be taken to refer to 'a live microbial preparation,
    either as a food or animal feed, which can benefit the host through
    restoring its intestinal microbial balance'.

         The microorganisms most commonly involved as probiotics are the
    Lactobacilli, Bifidobacteria, Streptococci and some yeasts and
    moulds. Probiotic preparations may have one or a mixture of organisms
    of various genera, species, sub-species or strains, and may take a
    variety of physical forms.

         There is conflicting evidence, and controversy, about the extent
    to which colon flora can be influenced by oral administration of the
    various microorganisms involved, at the levels found in conventional
    foods.

Processed

         Having been subjected to treatment designed to change one or
    more of the properties (physical, chemical, microbiological, sensory)
    of food.

Processing aid

         In the UK Food Labelling Regulations 1984, 'processing aids' are
    not separately defined; but the definition of 'additive' 'includes
    processing aids insofar as they added to, or used in or on, food'. It
    follows that a processing aid is an additive which facilitates
    processing without significantly influencing the character or
    properties of the finished product. Examples would be a tablet
    release agent used to coat the inside of tablet moulds, or a spray
    used to allow bread to be released from baking tins or trays. There
    are, however, anomalous instances. For example, if an anti-caking
    agent is added to a powder ingredient to facilitate its flow
    properties while being conveyed to a mixer, where it is incorporated
    into a liquid product or a dough for baking, the anti-caking agent is
    used solely as a processing aid, and hence need not be declared. If
    however, that powder ingredient is directly packed into containers
    for sale as such, or is incorporated in a dry mix product, the
    anti-caking agent is not acting solely as a processing aid and must
    be declared as an additive.

Pure

         This word is used as a marketing term, and is usually applied to
    a single ingredient with no additions, e.g. pure vegetable oil, pure
    orange juice, whether in the form of a single ingredients food or
    when used as a major ingredient of a compound food.

Quality

         When applied meaningfully to the character of a food, 'quality'
    may refer to (a) the degree or standard of excellence; or (b) the
    fitness for purpose; or (c) the consistency of attainment of the
    specified properties of the food. In the context of food control, it
    is meaning (c) that applies.

         The term is sometimes used in a meaningless marketing sense
    (e.g. 'X is a quality product').

Raw

         In the earliest or primary state, after harvesting or slaughter,
    not having been subjected to any treatment apart from cleaning, size
    grading or size reduction, (e.g. diced raw vegetables, raw minced
    beef).

         Some ingredients termed 'raw materials' may actually be 'raw'.
    Often, however, one manufacturer's starting materials are other
    manufacturers' finished products; and a more accurate description
    would be 'starting materials'.

Real

         A marketing term, used normally to emphasise the presence of an
    authentic ingredient in a product, as distinct from a substitute
    (e.g. biscuits with a real chocolate coating).

         See also Genuine.

Re-formed

         'Re-formed' meat is an artefact having the appearance of a cut,
    joint, slice or portion of meat, formed by combining pieces of meat
    which have undergone processes generally including tumbling or
    massaging or specific alignment of fibres, with or without the
    addition of finely comminuted meat and/or meat emulsion, and then
    forming in moulds or into shapes. Codes of Practice exist for the
    labelling of cured meat products and quick frozen meat products
    respectively, made from re-formed meats.

Reduced .....

         Complying either with a declared or, where existing,
    legally-specified percentage reduction compared with a product not
    making a ""reduced" claim, for the parameter involved.

Restore

         See Fortified (foods).

Rich in .....

         See High in .....

Selected

         Primarily a marketing term, implying superior quality. It should
    not be used unless it can be substantiated that the product quality
    has been enhanced by an actual selection process.

Sensory

         Relating to the use of the sense organs. (Note the distinction
    from 'organoleptic' 'relating to an attribute of a product
    perceptible by the sense organs')..

         BS 5098 (identical with ISO 5492: 1992) entitled 'Sensory
    Analysis Vocabulary' provides an extensive and authoritative set of
    definitions of terms relating to sensory analysis.

Snack

         A small quantity of food, eaten informally between, or in place
    of, main meals.

Snackfood (Snack food)

         A convenient food item specifically manufactured for use as a
    snack.

Spoilage

         Any perceivable change undergone by a food, through any cause,
    that renders it unwholesome or unacceptable for use. Spoilage is
    usually the result of enzyme or microbial action resulting, for
    example, in lipolytic rancidity, putrefaction, fermentation, or mould
    growth; but food can also spoil by other means, for example overlong
    storage, non-enzymic browning, or exposure to air or light. In
    practice the term is most frequently applied to categorising such
    deteriorative changes (other than food infection or intoxication)
    when caused by microorganisms.

Steak

         'Steak' has, in the past, been taken to mean a cut or thick
    slice from the beef animal. However, a judgement in the Court of
    Appeal in 1986 allowed a re-formed product to be called 'Chicken
    Breast Steaks Flaked and Formed Chicken in a Crispy Crumb' on the
    grounds that the description of the product, as a whole, was clear,
    accurate and not misleading. This judgement, therefore, means that
    'steak' can be used, provided that it is properly qualified, as a
    generic term, probably in relation to any animal, bird or fish
    normally used for human consumption, and whether or not the meat has
    been re-formed.

Traditional

         One way of defining 'traditional' in relation to foods and food
    processes is to say it is the opposite of 'new' or 'modern' (cf. the
    FAC's use of 'traditional' with the intention to exclude novel foods,
    see 'natural', above). It can also be applied to a particular
    characteristic of a food; for example 'traditional flavour', 'made in
    the traditional way'. This leaves unresolved, however, the question
    "at what point does yesterday's 'new' or 'modern' become today's
    'traditional'?". One suspects that for each generation, 'traditional'
    means anything up to and including the foods and methods of one's
    early youth! For some, 'traditional' appears to mean rule-of-thumb
    craft-based rather than based on science/technology.

Unadulterated

         A food material containing no additions or contaminants foreign
    to the normal product which otherwise would debase it or confer or
    disguise inferior quality.

Wholefood

         Any food which contains all its naturally occurring components,
    (e.g. pulses, raw vegetables) and without the addition of other
    substances. A wholefood can be a mixture of wholefoods.

Wholesomeness

         'Wholesomeness' is a convenient single term which embodies a
    large number of aspects and attributes of a food. In summary, a
    wholesome food is one that satisfactorily meets the expectations of
    the segment of consumers at which it is aimed; and that has been made,
    stored and handled in compliance with any relevant legislative
    standards and with all of the principles of good manufacturing
    practice.

         Full consideration of these characteristics is given in IFST
    Professional Conduct Guideline 'Wholesomeness of Food'. This relates
    to a clause in the Code of Professional Conduct, requiring each
    member "to take legitimate steps through proper channels to ensure
    (or assist in ensuring) the wholesomeness of any food with which he
    or she is concerned".

MARKETING TERMS

         When used in the labelling, advertising or description of a food,
    the main (and sometimes total) role of the terms listed under this
    heading is to promote the sale of the product rather than provide
    necessary information to the purchaser. Terms often falling into this
    category include 'health food', 'designer food', 'functional food',
    'improved', 'natural', 'new', 'pure', 'quality', 'selected',
    'traditional'.

         Food scientists and technologists who are in a position to
    advise on product labelling, advertising or promotional material
    should do their best to ensure that such terms are not used in ways
    that could mislead (see IFST Professional Guideline No 6 'Scientific
    Issues and Food Promotion').

*******************************************************************************

END OF FILE 2/3
CONTINUED ON FILE 3/3