Subject: Crock Pot Cooking

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 96 17:20:50 PDT

This question probably occured already, my apologies if so. But
I was wondering if crock pot cooking is safe since it seems that
at low temperatures bacteria could multiply rapidly, the same.
as if the food is sitting on the couter for awhile? or does the
crock pot get to a high enough temperature soon enough to kill
everything that's dangerous. Should something like chicken or
beef be totally immersed in a liquid to be safe?

  * * *
  Regards,
  Ray Van Raamsdonk  ([email-masked]) (604)389-3725
  Capacity Planning, ITSD, (MINISTRY OF FINANCE), B.C.

---

From: Oz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 07:22:13 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] writes
>beef be totally immersed in a liquid to be safe?

When it's done in Malaysia (and presumably throughout Asia) you wait
whilst it's cooked. You can watch if you like. In this situation it's
very safe IMHO. All the meat is immersed and boiled for some time.

Of course you have to wait. It's worth it though. 

I would be more worried about bastardised western versions that do not
have the inherent food safety of the original process.

------------------------------- 
'Oz     "When I knew little, all was certain. The more I learnt,
        the less sure I was. Is this the uncertainty principle?"

---

From: [email-masked] (Jay Mann)
Date: 29 Jun 1996 00:31:40 GMT

[email-masked] wrote
: : This question probably occured already,
: my apologies if so. But 
: I was wondering if crock pot cooking is safe since it seems that 
: at low temperatures bacteria could multiply rapidly, the same. 
[snip]

Crock pots are definitely not a good idea for cooking dried beans 
(Phaseolus vulgaris) because temperatures of about 80 C are not high 
enough to inactivate the bean lectins (haemagglutinins) responsible for 
stomach upsets.  If you want to use them with beans, the beans should be 
fully hydrated (overnight soaking) and boiled for about an hour, before 
tossing them into the crock pot.  Don't try to bypass the soaking step.

Jay D Mann  <[email-masked]>
Christchurch, New Zealand

---

From: "Rafael Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 00:59:01 -0400

40-140 degrees Farenhiet is considered the "danger zone" for foods. 
Within this temperature range bacteria may multiply in food.  Check your
crock pot with a meat thermometer if you have one.  If the crock pot is
making the liquid simmer, it is over 140 and you have no worries.

Rafael Garcia
Cornell Food Safety Laboratory