Subject: OILS FROM GENETICALLY ENGINEERED OILSEED PLANTS

From: [email-masked] (Yanez Sambiglyon)
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:04:00 GMT

OILS FROM GENETICALLY ENGINEERED OILSEED PLANTS

Genetic modification has been used to produce new varieties of oilseed
plants that are used in the manufacture of food oils. 

Workers at the Leatherhead Food RA have been commissioned by the UK
Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (MAFF) to compile a
database on the detailed properties and compositions of the food
products from genetically modified oilseed plants. The work is now 
in progress and on completion it will be used by the Advisory
Committee on Novel Foods and Processes (ACNFP) to assess these new
food products and give guidance to developers for obtaining approval
prior to market introduction.

We aim to gather as much information as possible on the processes used
to develop these plants, the results of tests and assessments on the
products derived from them, in particular the composition of resulting
oils and also seedcakes, nutritional data and any differences from 
conventional oilseeds and oilseed products.

If your organisation has been involved in the development of such
plants and products and has analytical information we would be very
happy to include your data in the database. As we expect to complete
the work in the next few months, an early reply would be appreciated. 

If you have any information for the database, or you would like to
hear more about the work, please contact Catherine Entwisle or Dr Jens
Kristott at the Leatherhead Food RA at 

[email-masked].