Subject: What about bacterial growth media with bovine components?

From: [email-masked] (Brieuc Morvan)
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 96 01:01:19 GMT

Can someone tell me What about bacterial growth media with bovine 
components?

thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (Laurie Kennedy)
Date: 1 Apr 96 01:18:33 GMT

>Can someone tell me What about bacterial growth media with bovine 

I'd expect most bacteria to degrade any proteins supplied in the growth media, 
and think it's extremely unlikely that any protein would be incorporated and 
stored unchanged.  Thus if current theories regarding the cause and 
transmission of BSE and similar diseases are correct (prion protein - see 
Scientific American, Jan 1995) you should have little cause for concern 
regarding any use of such bacteria.

In addition, most growth media with bovine protein components (e.g. peptones) 
have had the proteins extensively hydrolysed.

And I can be sure the health of the bacteria themselves is not at risk.

Laurie Kennedy  (ring me if you want more info.)