Subject: Bovine Brain

From: Oz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 10:46:47 +0100

It has been said in the press that until 1987 bovine brain was included
in some processed foods in the UK. Possibly in mechanically extracted
meat.

Was this the case?

If so, what guesstimate of the percentage of brain tissue in, say, cheap
beef sausages or cheap hamburgers at that time would anybody offer?

What sort of percentage would these brain-containing products be of the
total beef market?

Or was bovine brain typically not used, or used in other ways?

I apologise for asking such a delicate question. Remember that in 1987
brain tissue was considered to be nothing more than a nutritious part of
the animal that contained valuable essential fatty acids. One can be
very smart in hindsight.

Also note that bovine brain is regarded as a delicacy in many parts of
the world.

------------------------------- 
'Oz     "When I knew little, all was certain. The more I learnt,
        the less sure I was. Is this the uncertainty principle?"

---

From: Oz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 13:49:17 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, Oz
<[email-masked]> writes
>Also note that bovine brain is regarded as a delicacy in many parts of

Is there nobody who will even answer this question by anon. email?

Or even guess from experience?

Or even refute the statements?