Subject: I need advice from FS&T professionals

From: "Rafael Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jul 1996 17:29:46 GMT

As I finish up a master's degree in food science, I am faced with the
choice of continuing my education or starting my career.  I hope to
eventually work in industry, possibly in a product development position.  I
would like to be able to move up in a company and eventually get into more
responsible, decision making positions (as opposed to being a glorified lab
tech).

What are the advantages and disadvantages of an MS or PhD for my goals? 
Have you ever felt limited by the degree you earned?  Should I consider a
degree in a related field even if I definitely want to be in the food
industry?

Thank you for any insights.
-- 
Rafael Garcia
Cornell Food Safety Laboratory

---

From: Oz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 08:06:48 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, Jim DeMont <[email-masked]>
writes
>
>
>Another observation is that in most food companies, the bean counters and 
>marketing folks "rule". You may consider yourself fortunate if you land in 
>an organization that accepts advice and gives full consideration to the 
>full gamut of technical issues.

Just in passing, you could always consider trying to move to the sales
and 'bean counter' areas from the technical side. Since these people
almost invariably have not the slightest knowledge of the technical side
which is crucial to the success of the business, a sales manager or
financial manager who understands technical matters ought to be a big
asset. I know of situations when this has indeed been the case.

Since scientists generally have a good grasp of maths, something often
missing from salesmen for example, they can often do a very good job in
these other areas. Note the high numbers of physicists hired by
financial institutions as well.

------------------------------- 
'Oz     "When I knew little, all was certain. The more I learnt,
        the less sure I was. Is this the uncertainty principle?"