Subject: Re: best cereal?

From: Eric Lovett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 17:55:40 +0100

>
>Mel - I am not an expert or trained in this area, but I do have an
>opinion.  If Dr. Barry Sears, author of "Enter the Zone", is to be
>believed (and i have tried his program with great success!), the best
>meal is a "zone-balanced" one, having 7 parts (i.e. grams) of protein, 9
>parts carbohydrate, and 1.5 parts fat.  "Zone-balanced" meals are
>supposed to fuel the body at max efficiency, and provide a minimum of
>fat build-up, if that is a concern.
>No cereal that I am aware of has this magical mix, but cereals which
>have the most protein and the least sugar will come closest (note
>carbohydrates get converted to sugar anyway).  High fiber cereals (e.g.
>shreaded wheat or Health Valley Oat Bran Flakes are some of the best
>since the fiber-carbo will convert to sugar at a slower rate giving the
>body energy over time, rather than the burst provided by sugar.  
>Note that any excess carbo converted to sugar that is not used
>immediately by the body will be stored as fat.  
>Since 1% milk is fairly "balanced" (in the "zone" sense), and cereal is
>mostly carbo (both slow release - i.e. fiber and fast release - i.e.
>sugar), some good protein powder used as a supplement will provide a
>balanced breakfast --  or one can eat eggs (if cholesterol is not of
>concern) to get the required protein with cereal.
>I have tried all this and it works for me.  Good luck.
>Dave
Is this Dr. Barry Sears, in the form of a book, web page etc? I have
never heard of Zone foods and my curiousity is catching up on me.
-- 
Eric Lovett
[email-masked]

"Wine is for life, not just for Christmas."

---

From: Dave Dodd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 1996 13:52:05 -0600

> never heard of Zone foods and my curiousity is catching up on me.

It's a book - "Enter The zone" by Dr. Barry Sears, Regan books, 1995.
Dave

---

From: "Kristin S. Johnson Fiore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 20:06:32 +0000

Dave Dodd wrote:

> <snip> If Dr. Barry Sears, author of "Enter the Zone", <snip> the best
<snip>

Are there any RD's out there who could comment on this diet?  It sounds
like a "fad" to me.  Is there any  research supporting this person's
claims?  Just because he is an MD doesn't make it scientifically
accurate.  I am wondering whether this is really sound advice.
-- 
Kristin S. Johnson Fiore
mailto:[email-masked]

"A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat"
-Monty Python

---

From: Eric Lovett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 15:10:10 +0100

>It's a book - "Enter The zone" by Dr. Barry Sears, Regan books, 1995.

Cheers, I will try and get hold of a copy.
-- 
Eric Lovett
[email-masked]