Subject: Applied Computer/Aircraft Engineer seeking help for shelf life.

From: [email-masked] (Robin Blanchet ing.)
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 18:49:46 UNDEFINED

Yes, I know it sounds bizarre but 9 months ago I was a group leader of 
engineers making design of tactical software for the CF-18 (Canadien).
I moved to the food industry (family business) but I have quite a lot to learn.
We are a small company making only one product but the best,  fresh oven baked 
beans distributed in plastic pails. To export my product to the USA, I 
would need to expand my shelf life as much as I can. We currently have 30 days 
and the beans are cooked for 16 hours (not much bacteria left ! ) We know the 
shelf life is probably longer since sometimes we keep them for 45 days and the 
beans are not so bad. We are just starting to use the services of an official 
laboratory.  However the taste is no as good as in the first few days of 
course. I would like to know if a vacuum pack will help me to preserve the 
taste and/or shelf life ?  If I have no choice what kind of preservatives can 
help me (I need names and in which quantities please) ? What can be the shelf 
life with these preservatives ?

thanks

Robin Blanchet eng.
[email-masked]