Subject: Re: information needed about Extra Virgin Olive Oil

From: Engineer <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Sep 1996 14:00:17 GMT

Hi!

I am from Portugal, south Europe, but neverthless I can express my 
point of view.

I don't know if you are specificly interested in extra virgin olive oil, 
but we use it anyway, as well as virgin olive oils for salads, preparing 
sauces, preparing some foods, etc.

We can afford to use it in our gastronomy because we have lots of olive 
trees, so the olive oil is not so expensive as it can be in other 
countries.

We can find oilve oil in supermarkets, without any kind of problems, but 
of course there are good brands and not so good brands.

We can also find different types of olive oil, as we produce olive oil 
allover Portugal (north & south).

Any questions, please ask me.

---

From: TLF <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Sep 1996 14:00:22 GMT

Hello,

Although being portuguese and therefore from a olive oil producer's 
country, I am going to answer your questions. That's because I have been 
in England (UK) since July and have been several times to the supermarket 
and see what kind of people by olive oil.

In England they manly have italian olive oil in small botles (since 25 ml 
to 0.75 l) and they use it to cook. Manly to have food fried.

I think they don't use it so much to prepare food, as we do in Portugal, 
but rather to fry food.

I hope you liked the informations.

TLF

---

From: [email-masked] (tom c.)
Date: 5 Sep 1996 00:51:19 GMT

If extra virgin oilive oil is less processed (?) how come it is
so expensive?

So what do they take out....probably the goood stuff ?

TIA

In message <[email-masked]> - Engineer
<[email-masked]>3 Sep 1996 14:00:17 GMT writes:
]
]Hi!
]
]I am from Portugal, south Europe, but neverthless I can express my 
]point of view.
]
]I don't know if you are specificly interested in extra virgin olive oil, 
]but we use it anyway, as well as virgin olive oils for salads, preparing 
]sauces, preparing some foods, etc.
]
]We can afford to use it in our gastronomy because we have lots of olive 
]trees, so the olive oil is not so expensive as it can be in other 
]countries.
]
]We can find oilve oil in supermarkets, without any kind of problems, but 
]of course there are good brands and not so good brands.
]
]We can also find different types of olive oil, as we produce olive oil 
]allover Portugal (north & south).
]
]
]Any questions, please ask me.
]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Cantor)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 20:53:58 GMT

My limited knowledge:

Whatever it is that makes the oil "extra virgin" is altered or
destroyed by heating.  If you use it to make pesto sauce, just warm it
moderately.  If you use it for frying (here in the USA, where it is
much more expensive than the, shall we say, "non-virgin" product) you
are wasting money, since cooked "extra virgin" tastes exactly like the
regular oil.

Jeremy Cantor
[email-masked]
*************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Tarik S. Qahawish)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 05:07:16 GMT

>are wasting money, since cooked "extra virgin" tastes exactly like the
Also my limited knowledge,
If olive oil reaches the temp of 40F, it looses all its neatriants and 
taste. It is called Extra Virging because nothing it taking out of it and 
not diluted (i.e. like concentrated). Therefore, more olives are used to 
make it, compared to regular virging oils. If you use this oil as much as 
I do, I recommend you visit Middle Eastern shops where they can get you 
good quality oil in bulk for a good price. Good Luck

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim DeMont)
Date: 12 Sep 1996 02:55:46 GMT

Regarding Extra Virgin Olive Oil, I asked the same question &
once & a neighboring departmental secretary offered a memorable
answer, "Extra Virgin must mean one too many".

Oh well.

Jim D.