Subject: please help t.a. select books!

From: idlewild <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 22:50:51 GMT

hi everyone

i'm new to this ng and new to food science in general, but i was hoping to
glean some advice from y'all...  

i am a first year graduate student (pursuing a masters right now, a phd
after the masters is done), and i just joined the dept. of fs at rutgers
univ. (new jersey).  my concentration as an undergrad was in biology, so i
don't know what any of the "classic" food science books are.  

anyway, i'm teaching an intro-level class in fs, a lab class, but my
responsibilities include giving a brief lecture at the beginning of each
lab on the relevant subjects (labs include bread baking, browning
reactions, pectin affecting gel strength of jelly, and so forth).  

i own harold mcgee's _On_Food_and_Cooking_, _The_Curious_Cook_, and howard
hillman's _Kitchen_Science_ - but i am looking to go beyond the armchair
science and try to be a little more "hard core."  also, being new to the
field, it would be nice if i actually looked as tho i knew what i was
talking about.  on the other hand, texts that are way over /my/ head will
be kinda useless, too.  (in case you wondered why i didn't ask my
overseeing prof in the first place, i just thought it'd be nice if i
could solicit information from someone other than him, for a change.)  

so, anyway, what texts do you recommend, and what are their strong points?

thank you for your help

-j.
___
Will cook for food.

---

From: [email-masked] (Weston English)
Date: 14 Sep 96 14:19:28 -0700

A great starting place would be a book called "Food Science" By 
Norman. N Potter.  It is a very general and easy to read book that 
covers just about every aspect of Food Science in Layman type terms 
and gives some great references at the end of each chapter.

Cheers,
[email-masked]