Subject: Re: Where can I read about food ingredients?

From: [email-masked] (Carlos A. Kantt)
Date: 25 May 1995 14:05:54 GMT

[email-masked] (Ephraim Vishniac) writes:

>Greetings, Food Scientists!

>I'd like to know if there's a standard reference on the derivation of food
>ingredients. What I'm interested in is a book that tells me not just what
>food ingredients are, but what they're made from.  For example, an ordinary
>dictionary tells me that sorbitol occurs naturally in some fruits and
>berries, but fails to tell me that it's commonly made from dextrose, which
>is in turn commonly made from corn.

>Another example (one that I'm still stumped by) is cellulose gum. By
>wandering around a chemical dictionary, I see that cellulose gum is
>food-grade carboxymethyl cellulose, but I couldn't find any clear statement
>on what the popular sources of cellulose for food processing are.

 I don't know if this is a standard reference, but you could try 'Encyclopedia of Food Science and Technology, Y.H. Hui Ed. in Chief, Jhon Wiley & Sons, Inc.
 
 It Sure has a lot of information
 
 Hope This helps
 >--
-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carlos A Kantt                                 E-mail: [email-masked]
University of Illinois                         TE: (217) 333-9420
Department of Food Science