Subject: IFT Book:How to get a job in Food Science

From: [email-masked] (Michael R. King)
Date: 21 Mar 1996 02:14:53 GMT

Food Science Students,

Recently I was introduced to a handbook that is put out by the Employment
Committee of the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT).  The handbook
entitled "How To Find Your First Job In the Food Sciences", (a student
guide for starting your career), is an abundant amount of information that
is very pertinent to finding a job in today's competitive market (Table of
Contents Listed Below).  This 36 pg (8 X 11) booklet plus an additional 18
pg. career profiles section, was put together by executive recruiters,
human resource managers, career counselors, and industrial researchers. 
This was put together in response to the number of students who were having
difficulties during the job search and interview processes.  The price of
the book is $3.00 which covers the cost of printing the book.  A copy of
the table of contents is listed below.

To order a copy of this book send a personal check of $3 (a request for the
"How to find your first job in the Food Sciences" book, Name, Address,
City, State, Zip) to:

Institute of Food Technologists
221 N. LaSalle Street
Chicago, IL 60601

Phone: 312-782-8424
FAX: 312-782-8348

This book will also be sold at the Annual Meeting at the Student Booth

I am this years Employment Committee Student Representative.  If you would
like to contact me with a question (about information found in the book or
student employment concerns within IFT), my e-mail address is
[email-masked].  For financial questions about the book, contact
the IFT numbers above.  Remember to use the IFT Employment Referral Service
when you begin your job search.  This year over 600 jobs in the food
industry were posted with Employment Service.  Also keep in mind the large
number of companies interviewing and posting job opportunities with the
Employment Service at the Annual Meeting this year in New Orleans!

Thanks,

Michael R. King
IFT Employment Committee Student Representative

----------------------------

Table of Contents

Introduction

I.  Planning
	Accomplishments and responsibilities
	How to express work accomplishments
	How to pull out skills from accomplishments
	Skills areas
	Identify your best skills

II.  Getting the job
	A guide to resume writing
	Writing the resume
	References
	Networking
	Using IFT's employment referral service
	Networking
	Types of interviews
	The interview itself
	Review of interviewing technique
	After the job offer, What?
	Successful job hunting testimonials

III.  Managing your career
	How others see us
	Relationship with your new boss
	Final points to remember
	Career decisions-By design or default
	Supplemental reading

IV.  Career Profiles-Reprinted from Food Technology Magazine