Subject: Re: Looking for a book on food chemistry

From: "Joe Ames" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Aug 1996 20:07:25 GMT

Hi,

Here's a site with a great search capability for books. Fair prices too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/index2.html/2067-8404348-760125

Hope it helps,

Joe Ames

Descartes <[email-masked]> wrote in article <[email-masked]>...
: I an searching for a book I saw some time ago on the chemistry of 
: cooking. I can't remember the title, but it was something like "The 
: Science of Food" or "The Science of Cooking." Can anybody help me?  
: Thanks.
: 
: 
:

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul King)
Date: 1 Sep 96 03:07:25 UTC

Look no further than the sbfs FAQ 1/1 for the following recommended books
(Fennema is the de facto standard):

        CHEMISTRY: Belitz, H-D, and W Grosch(1987). Food Chemistry.     
        Heidleberg:Springer-Verlag. ISBN 0-387-97373-7. Translated from German 
        by Dr D Hadziyev. Title in German: Lehrbuch der Lebensmittelchemie (2nd 
        edition).

        CHEMISTRY: Fennema, Owen, ed. (199?). Food Chemistry. New York: Marcel 
        Dekker. ISBN (Hard) 0-8247-7271-7; (Soft) 0-8247-7449-3. Pretty much the
        standard food chemistry textbook in Food Science departments in the 
        United States and Canada.

Cheers 

Paul King

---

From: Janet Paterson <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Sep 1996 08:53:00 GMT

I use
Food: The Chemistry of its Components. T.P.Coultate. Royal Society of 
Chemistry, Cambridge, UK.  2nd Edition 1989, reprinted 1995, ISBN 
0-85186-433-3  
for my lectures to engineers studying Food Preservation and other food 
subjects.

It is very cheap ($aus 27.45). Our books are, in general much more 
expensive than yours.

It is good in its chemistry of carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, vitamins, 
water, colours, undesirables, etc. It does not cover  metabolic pathways.

Tell me about your course. I'd be interested to share ideas.

Janet

*************************************************
Dr J.L.Paterson
Department of Food Science and Technology
The University of New South Wales
Sydney  NSW  2052
Australia

Tel: +61 2 9385 5355

Fax: +61 2 9385 5931

*************************************************