Subject: Re: Is replacement for salt safe?

From: [email-masked] (Nicholas Landau)
Date: 26 Jun 1996 14:54:51 -0400

[email-masked] (Peter Joules) writes:

>I hope that this is the correct group in which to post this question.

Well, we are microbiologists here, and do not specialize in big
critters like human beings, but we love to conjecture.

>In the UK we have a product called Lo Salt which is a mixture of Potassium
>Chloride and Sodium Chloride with the KCl in the larger quantity.  It is said to
>be better than pure NaCl as the reduced intake of sodium is said to reduce blood
>pressure.

>I was under the impression that the balance between sodium and potassium in the
>bloodstream was very important.  If this is the case what would be the effects
>of hanging from a high intake of salt to a high intake of Lo Salt?

I doubt that you could through off your electrolyte balance with the product,
unless you were to eat very large quantities at once.  I have known people
to use the stuff in small quantities (on their food,) and they didn't seem
to suffer from dehydration or any malady I would attribute to a problem
with electrlyte balance.

What kinds of symptoms were you predicting?