Subject: Question on tars and nicotines in tobacco

From: [email-masked] (John Hansen)
Date: 19 Mar 1996 19:59:26 GMT

Hello

   I am a student in a physical science class at Mt. Shasta High School
and am currently working on a science project that deals with determining
the % tars and nicotines found in cigar, pipe and chew tobacco.  Our
school library has limited reference material that I could access.  I also
called the tobacco companies and did not even get a response.  
   Perhaps you know something about tars and nicotines found in tobacco
plants that you could share with me?.  Ideally it would be nice to be able
to put my hands on the actual % data that describes the amount of tars and
nicotines in each type.  
   My plan to test the results is to draw smoke from the burning tobacco
source through pre-weighed cotton balls and then by measuring the
difference in the cotton ball weight compared to the actual tobacco that
burned, I should be able to calculate the % numbers my teacher demands. 
He is mean!  Does this procedure sound OK to you?  If there are holes in
this procedure perhaps you can suggest modifications. 

I appreciate any help that you can provide.  Thank you.  Hillary

---

From: Morten Strunge Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 11:26:10 -0800

Hillary asked about % tars and nicotines found in cigar, pipe and chew 
tobacco in the sci.bio.food-science news group.

This is not a relevant news group to ask this kind of questions.  Please post 
your questions regarding tobacco in alt.smoking or look at the following 
URL on the WEB:

http://www.tobacco.org/

Best regards 

morten meyer