Subject: Candy preservative

From: [email-masked] (Secreteran)
Date: 8 Sep 1996 15:54:53 -0400

I am testing a candy made of 60% dry ground roasted corn and the rest is
sugar.
Should I add any preservative?
Thanks 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Depree, Jonathan A)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 10:15:13

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Secreteran) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Secreteran)
>Subject: Candy preservative
>Date: 8 Sep 1996 15:54:53 -0400

>Should I add any preservative?

Are you getting any spoilage when you keep it under shelf conditions?
If not then you probably don't need any preservative.

Jonathan Depree,
Lincoln University, P.O. Box 84, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Socrates was a famous Greek Teacher who went around giving
people advice. They killed him.   (school history howler)

---

From: [email-masked] (Weston English)
Date: 14 Sep 96 14:23:21 -0700

Have you hear of the concept of Water Acivity.  If so measure the 
water activity of your product.  If its water activity is below 0.6 
then I would say you will have no need to add any preservatives.  At 
a water activity this low no bacterial grow can occur than only very 
slow mould growth from a very rare mould will grow.  The sugar in 
your product should be all that is needed as far as preservatives go.

Cheers,
[email-masked]

PS Please let me know how you go by mailing me at the above address.