Subject: fructose

From: [email-masked] (Username)
Date: 19 Mar 1996 02:15:24 GMT

Hello!

	Do anyone know a synthetic process (not fermentation) to do
d-fructose from sucrose or glucose?
thanks!

---

From: [email-masked] (Rich Mateles)
Date: 22 Mar 1996 22:57:14 GMT

The commercial process  to convert glucose into fructose is based on the 
use of glucose isomerase to produce a mixture of fructose and glucose and 
then chromtaographic separation of the sugars to yield a high fructose 
concentrate.  Is this what you're talking about?

---

From: Leslie Coveney <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 16:49:49 GMT

In article: <[email-masked]>  [email-masked] (Rich Mateles) writes:
> Path: 
savtech.demon.co.uk!news.demon.co.uk!dispatch.news.demon.net!demon!tank.news.pipex.net!pipex!sw
rinde!howland.reston.ans.net!newsjunkie.ans.net!newsfeeds.ans.net!prodigy.com!usenet
> From: [email-masked] (Rich Mateles)
> Newsgroups: sci.bio.food-science
> Subject: Re: fructose
> Date: 22 Mar 1996 22:57:14 GMT
> Organization: Prodigy Services Company  1-800-PRODIGY
> Lines: 5
> Distribution: world
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> References: <[email-masked]>
> NNTP-Posting-Host: innugap8-int.news.prodigy.com
> X-Newsreader: Version 1.2
> 
-- 
Analytical kits use invertase to enzymically split glucose from fructose. I presume this is
a small scale version of the process used industrially.

---

From: [email-masked] (Pertti Walliander)
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 1996 17:33:56 GMT

>> concentrate.  Is this what you're talking about?

Glucose and fructose are monosaccharides (hexoses) common in nature.
Glucose isomerase is an enzyme which change the molecular structure of
glucose so that fructose is formed. The enzyme reaction is reversible
producing about 50/50 mixture. (If you start from glucose or from
fructose after a while the reaction mixture is this 50/50 mixture.)

Sucrose is a disaccharide containing glucose and fructose bound
together with chemical bond. Invertase is an enzyme, which cut this
bondage producing a 50/50 mixture of glucose and fructose, but this
reaction is not reversible. Invertase and glucose isomerase are
entirely different enzymes, although they both play with glucose and
fructose.

Commercially fructose is produced from ordinary sugar (sucrose) by
inverting it into G+F mixture using invertase, then
chromatographically separating fructose out of the mixture and
crystallizing fructose. Glucose is a side product in this process. By
using glucose isomerase glucose can be converted back to G+F mixture
(normally about 42% F), which can be then separated, sidestream
glucose from separation converted again, and so on. With glucose
isomerase enzyme glucose can be "pumped" almost completely to
fructose.

If the initial carbohydrate source is starch instead of sucrose, the
chain start with alpha amylase enzyme, then gluco amylase to make
glucose syrup. Glucose syrup is converted with glucose isomerase to
G+F mixture and the process then follows the same route as with
sucrose.

HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) is G+F mixture, in which by
chromatographic separation the initial F content after glucose
isomerase treatment is increased from 42% to 65 ... 90%.

Commercially corn starch is important raw material in US. In Finland
fructose is produced from sucrose.

Wallu