Subject: Olestra or "OLEAN"

From: Eric Lovett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 23:45:41 +0100

Hello All,
        I am trying to find out information on the non fattening fat
called Olestra, the product Proctor and Gamble are marketing under the
brand name Olean.
        I have tried doing the usual search, but all the information I
can come up with, tends to be peoples own personal views about the
subject, not the scientific facts.
        I will be doing a research project next semester on Olestra and
its capabilities, so I need a good starting block of information.
        Does anybody know where I can find any information, via e-mail,
web sites, books, journals, etc??????

-- 
Eric Lovett
[email-masked]

"Wine is for life, not just for Christmas."

---

From: <[email-masked]> (G. Cote)
Date: 11 Sep 1996 15:10:21 GMT

To begin, you may want to look at US patents 3600186 and 4034083.
Also: European patents 0233856 & 0236288.  These are some of the original 
Procter & Gamble patents relating to Olestra.  You may also want to do 
literature searches on the keyword "sucrose polyester"

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
says...

---

From: [email-masked] (Ajuttel)
Date: 12 Sep 1996 12:11:35 -0400

A good starting point for your search is the website of the Institute of
Food Technologists. They have published extensive articles on the subject
of Olestra, as have many other food publications such as Food Formulating,
Food Processing and IFT's Journal of Food Science. These are reliable
sources, backed by science rather than heresay. IFT's website will have a
e-mail phine and fax number for you to contact for more information. Also
try the FDA website.