Subject: [sci.bio.food-science] Additions and Changes to FAQ, and New User Info

From: [email-masked] (Paul E. J. King)
Date: 2 Sep 1996 16:21:22 GMT

Archive-Name: sci/food-science-faq/diff

Posting-Frequency: weekly
Last-modified: 1996/08/14

NEWS for Sep 1, 1996:

IMPORTANT: 
1. This posting is now in four separate parts, rather than four parts of a
thread. This should improve things... There is still the problem of coordinating
the postings. Things will be a bit haywire for a while. This is sue to an
attempt to make the four separate postings appear on, hopefully, the same day.

2. Rachel Beth Zemser, the founder of our newsgroup, has obtained a Master's
degree, and has graduated. This also means that she will be without an email
address until further notice. BTW, Congratulations, Rachel.

              -- Paul King
 __

That's it for the changes! Now on to New User Information. No need to read the
rest of this "NEWS" section unless you're new to the group. 
 __

                           INFORMATION FOR NEW USERS

This FAQ has been accepted to the *.answers newsgroups, and can be found in both
sci.answers and news.answers.

For those who prefer their FAQ by FTP, it can be found in four different
locations at rtfm.mit.edu:

<ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-group/news.answers/sci/food-science-faq/>
<ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-group/sci.answers/sci/food-science-faq/>
<ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/news/answers/sci/food-science-faq/>
<ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/sci/answers/sci/food-science-faq/>

Please email me at <mailto://[email-masked]> if there are any problems in
downloading. Like this posting, which has four parts, each directory contains
complete FAQs in four files, called part1, part2, part3, and diff. Each
directory should have an identical, up-to-date, and complete copy of this FAQ. 

rtfm.mit.edu is controlled by its maintainers (not us), and is updated
automatically as a result of our own updates. In addition, the actual posting of
this FAQ to sci.bio.food-science is now a consequence of emailing to rtfm as
well. 

A SHORT NOTE ON FTP RETRIEVAL OF THIS FAQ (for PC/Windows users with SLIP):

If you find your web browser too slow on your system, a better way to FTP is by
use of freeware  like  WS-FTP. It can be downloaded via anonymous FTP from
<ftp://129.29.64.246/pub/msdos>. WS-FTP is free for private, household use. A
fee is required for commercial use. You may find the transfer on WS-FTP is much
faster, and that it uses far less memory. Also, WS-FTP allows you to maintain a
menu of your favourite FTP sites. This is not intended to be an endorsement of
WS-FTP.
 __

SCI.BIO.FOOD-SCIENCE FAQ ON THE WORLD-WIDE WEB:

Our FAQ has been converted to HTML for users of the World-Wide Web. It may be
found at two locations:

     <http://www.lib.ox.ac.uk/internet/news/faq/sci.bio.food-science.html>. 
                                   or
                          <http://dejanews.com/> 

The first site is a direct link to our FAQ; the second requires you to fill out
a search form for the correct newsgroup, since DejaNews lists ALL news articles
posted on the Internet over several months. In both cases, the great thing about
seeing out FAQ on HTML is that all of the links we mention are LIVE links. That
is, if you have Netscape, you may point and click on our FAQ from any web site
we mention to wherever those links take you.

There are many other sites around North America and Europe to obtain our FAQ,
but the above ones are either the most up-to-date, or the easiest to use.
DejaNews, for all of its faults (it only shows you our FAQ in chunks, and not
all of the links work), is always the most up-to-date, since the articles are
taken directly from the USENET feed and re-written in HTML.

I also have my own personal web page, with most of the links mentioned in this
FAQ. The intent was to write a simple web page that was easy to move around in.
You may find it a lot more user-friendly than the web pages offered at Oxford or
by Deja News. I won't be updating it as much as the FAQ, so it may not have the
most current URLs. I stress here that the entire FAQ is not on my home page -
just the links mentioned in it. Visit the site and tell me what you think! The
web site is at 

                 <http://cgi.idirect.com/index///pking.html> 

(the triple forward slash is not a typo). There are no major graphics, so it
_should_ be a quick download. Mileage may vary with your connection speed, and
with the speed at your host site, however ...
 __

VIEWING THE SBFS FAQ ON NETSCAPE 2.2:

Of the Web Browsers, I have found Netscape to have the best news reader. This is
because the Netscape's web browser turns any mention of a web URL into a live
link, as well. What is ideal about this kind of arrangement is that if you point
and click on the "blue" URL reference on the news browser, the web page will pop
up in a new window. That means can surf the 'net without ever losing track of
our news article. 
 __

Professional food scientists, academics, and others involoved in the food
industry are invited to list their "favourite", or "most highly recommended"
textbooks in the food science field to be added to the FAQ for the benefit of
non-food scientists. The following format is preferred for ease of editing
(loosely based on the Journal of Food Science):

SUBJECT: Author(Year). Title. Edition. City: Publisher. ISBN. Comments.

The basic idea is to provide enough information for someone to walk into a
library or bookstore and order it. The ISBN number is essential. Comments are
optional.
 __

PERSONAL FOOD SCIENCE WEB PAGES:

News for persons maintaining a "personal" food science web page:  Jim Eilers
([email-masked]) is maintaing a list of persons who are maitaining a
home page of Food Science links. If you are such a person, email him at
[email-masked], and if you wish to view his homepage, "surf" to:

              http://homepage.interaccess.com/~jreilers/foodsci.htm

New section added below in "Additions and Changes":
 __
               "ETHNIC" FOOD PREPARATION METHODS ON THE WEB

Ralph, Rachel, and I have proposed a new sub-section dealing with an important
and as of yet overlooked aspect of foods: Ethnic (non-American and non-British)
food preparations. Specifically, we are looking for web pages dealing with
details on the preparation of foods that are described as "halal", "kosher",
"pareve", and so on - you fill in the terminologies for your ethnic group. How
are these foods prepared, inspected, and manufactured? What does the consumer
expect in terms of organoleptic properties and health benefits of such foods?
Are there any mass-produced foods that have the designation? How does a person
in that ethnic group know they are buying a food prepared according to their
ethnic or religious doctrines?

	If you know of any web pages that describe or even mention these things, please
send your suggestions to Paul King at <mailto://[email-masked]>
 ___

You are all encouraged to contact one of us if you have suggestions 
additions, or other 'major' questions we haven't thought of. Our names and 
email addresses are:

Rachel Zemser, creator of the newsgroup sci.bio.food-science 

J Ralph Blanchfield, Food Science, Food Technology & Food Law
    Consultant, Chair, IFST Member Relations & Services Committee and Web
    Editor, IFST Web on the WWW <mailto://[email-masked]>

Paul King, Creator and Maintainer of the List of Common Abbreviations 
    <mailto://[email-masked]>

For a glossary of scientific, marketing, industry, technical and legal terms of
relevance to food science, see FAQ 2 of 3. For a list of common questions and
answers about food and food science, see FAQ 3 of 3.

 - Paul King