Subject: Re: Spectroscopy of olive oil

From: Allen Adler <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Dec 1996 20:32:25 -0600

You might look at a book on "essential oils". I have seen fat books
on the subject and one might point you to the relevant physical
properties of various oils.

Allan Adler
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Dec 1996 18:14:27 GMT

>properties of various oils.

Olive Oil is a triglyceride oil ( lipid ), not an essential  oil ( terpene ). 

There is bound to be information on Olive Oil properties
in the Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society, and there
probably is an Olive Oil Research centre lurking around Europe
or Asia somewhere, contact one of the large manufacturers to
ascertain if there is. Properties will depend on both growing
conditions and processing, so if the original poster planned 
to use some, they would probably need to measure the properties
on the actual oil they were using.

                Bruce Hamilton

---

From: "Peter J. Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Dec 1996 12:13:27 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes

[unnecessary quoted text deleted by moderator]

>probably is an Olive Oil Research centre lurking around Europe [...]

Contact:
International Olive Oil Council,
Principe de Vergara 154,
E-28002,
Madrid,
Spain
Tel: +34-1-563-0071
Fax: +34-1-563-1263

Peter Barnes
Publisher
Lipid Technology
-- 
Peter J. Barnes
PJ Barnes & Associates, PO Box 200
Bridgwater TA7 0YZ, England.
Tel: +44-1823-698973
Fax: +44-1823-698971
E-mail: editor(a)pbarnes.demon.co.uk

---

From: "Peter J. Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 18:02:19 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>, Shankar Bhattacharyya
<[email-masked]> writes
>In article <[email-masked]>,
>Not quite. Essential oils are oils related to essences - you are
>likely to get lots of stuff on fragrance-related compounds. There's a
>well-known series of titanic volumes on the esential oils, by either
>Simonsen or Gunther, I forget who.
>
>For olive oil I suggest a book titled "Olive Oil", published by the
>American Oil Chemists' Society. They are in Chicago. It's just a
>monograph but there are lots of references.
>
>The original poster in this thread was in Italy, I think. The Italians
>are the cosmic experts on olive oil and its chemical behaviour, by the
>way. A lot of stuff on olive oil gets published in a journal called Il
>Grassi or something like that.
>
Don't give the Italians all the glory! They might have a lot of
technical expertise but there's plenty of knowledge in other European
countries too - such as Spain, Greece, France. In a recent survey (part
of an EC-funded project) Italians were given blind tasting of virgin
olive oils from several countries. They mostly preferred the oils that
came from Greece -- and were very upset when they found out the origin!

And the journal is Riv. Ital. Sostanze Grasse (more or less!).

>And, of course, there is the International Olive Oil Council. I used
>to know where they are - Spain, I think.
>
>- Shankar

---

From: [email-masked] (Shankar Bhattacharyya)
Date: 14 Dec 1996 19:45:50 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,

>>way.

>countries too - such as Spain, Greece, France.

I did have the technical end in mind. I have read some of the
literature on the analysis of olive oil and a lot of it seems to come
>from  Italy.

While we are on the subject of olive oil, does anyone know of a
commercial source for the various plant sterols, as authentic
standards? Their levels are used to detect adulteration of olive oil
with seed oils but in the US it is hard to get many of them. I'd
rather not spend weeks with an hplc.

- Shankar