Subject: Re: miracle fruit

From: [email-masked] (Shankar Bhattacharyya)
Date: 2 Sep 1996 19:58:33 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,  <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Shankar Bhattacharyya <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>I'm not familiar with cynarin, not that that means anything.
>>However, do you perhaps mean cymarin?  

>   ... I made no error referring
>to cynarin (with an 'n' after the 'y', not an 'm') - Harold McGee
>reports that "In 1954, an organic acid unique to artichokes was
>isolated and dubbed cynarin", etc, etc.

Thanks for the confirmation. You wouldn't remember offhand which of
his books it is in, would you? Not important - I can track it down.

I joined this thread late. Was there an explanation of mechanism
offered along the way?  From what I did see here I gather that the
effect with this fruit is quite strong. With the other things I
mentioned the effect is not really strong.

I'd be interested in reaching some understanding of why this
happens. It's quite peculiar.

- Shankar