Subject: ARTERIAL pCO2 IN LAB ANIMAL

From: JAN CZEKAJEWSKI <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Jul 1996 19:44:55 GMT

Arterial pCO2 is one of the variables which interferes other 
physiological parameters in anesthetized animals during surgical 
experiments. It needs to be kept at more or less constant level 
during experiment. It has been established that the value of 
arterial pCO2 is identical to the end-tidal CO2. End-tidal CO2 
measurement in larger animals and in humans are not a problem 
because of the presence of sufficient volume of available 
respiratory gases while the measurements in very small animals 
such as in rats and mice were difficult because of low volume of 
gas. In rats and mice, arterial pCO2 can be measured without 
drawing blood from artery. We developed Micro-capnometer 
(end-tidal CO2 meter) that utilizes low air sample flow rates (5, 
20 ml/min) and is ideal for laboratory animals especially, for 
rats and mice. The device has also the capability of determining 
the respiration rate by counting the period from the wave pattern 
of CO2 concentration. If you are interested in this device and 
its application in rats and mice, please e-mail your street 
address. I will send you all the necessary information.

JAN