Subject: Quercetin?

From: Brad Kern <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jul 1996 04:12:49 GMT

Can someone please tell me what quercetin dihydrate is? Is this a 
chemical structure found in common food additives? I would appreciate 
e-mail with any responses. Thanks!

-- 

--Brad

-- http://members.aol.com/azneon/ekwp.html

---

From: [email-masked] (J Ralph Blanchfield)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 08:06:39 GMT

Hello Brad and Everyone,

>e-mail with any responses. Thanks!

Quercetin dihydrate is the crystalline form of quercetin.

It is not a food additive nor a constituent of any food additive.  It
is a natural constituent of onions. If you look at pickled onions,
particularly elderly ones, and you see yellow spots or blotches on the
surface, that is quercetin.

Regards

Ralph

******************************************************************
J Ralph Blanchfield
Food Science, Food Technology & Food Law Consultant
Chair, IFST Member Relations & Services Committee
Web Editor, Institute of Food Science & Technology
IFST Web address: http://www.easynet.co.uk/ifst/ 
******************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Torsten Brinch)
Date: 23 Jul 1996 21:27:30 GMT

Brad Kern wrote:
: Can someone please tell me what quercetin dihydrate is? Is this a 
: chemical structure found in common food additives? I would appreciate 
: e-mail with any responses. Thanks!

Quercetin is a flavonolol (5.7.3',4'-tetrahydroxyflavonolol), which
is found in very, very many plants, usually in glycosidated form.
The dihydrate must be a commercial product, probably (guessing)
a well crystallizing species.

The food scientists will have to answer the other question:
if it has found use as a food additive. From the structure
I would expect it to be effective as an  anti-oxydant. 

Kind regards,

Torsten Brinch