Subject: To rape a lactobacillus...

From: [email-masked] (Erik Asphaug x2773)
Date: 21 Jun 1994 09:21:07 GMT

Well, almost.  Here is a question and a recipe.  First, to all you
evolutionary biologists out there... is this sourdough business a
successful strategy or what?  By sacrificing 95% of its population
once a month or so, a single strain of bacteria manages to guarantee
its genetic survival down tens of _human_ generations.  I just got a
culture from a friend who brought it with her from Germany, and claims
it has been in her family for "as long as her grandmother knows."
We are just pawns then in a bigger game.

RECIPE:  German Graham/Oat Rye Bread --  a solid and substantial
	loaf, great with cheese or for sandwiches.

	1   kg pumpernickel rye
	1   l  almost-hot water

mix together, add starter, mix some more, let sit in a cozy 
spot overnight, 8-15 hrs.  When it be stinking, SAVE A PIECE
and then add

	1   kg graham flour
	0.5 kg oat flour
	1   l  almost-hot water (not all at once)
      2-3  tsp salt (more or less to taste)
	1  cup plain yoghurt (nonfat is fine)

Mix well; use your hands.  It should be thick mud.  Add 2 handfulls of
sunflower seeds and other goodies. Place in a big bowl (I use an 8 qt
stock pot) and fill a sink with hot tap water.  Place the bowl in the
water and cover with a towel; let it rise here for 45 minutes until it
doubles.  (I really have great success with the sinkful of hot water
trick: that way I have wash water ready!  But don't let water get into
the bowl.)

Grease 3 or 4 bread pans, and _carefully_ scoop the risen dough into
the pans.  Don't punch it down!  Moisten your hands and _gently_ smooth
out the tops of the loaves; there's no need to press hard at all.
Place in a warm oven to rise (uncovered) for 45 minutes, and then bake
1 hour on 350.  Peek at it often after 50 minutes for that rich, brown
crusty color.  Don't take out too early; it will be too moist.  Let
cool for at least one hour.  Meine Deutsche Nachbaren --- a very picky
audience, worse than the French --- think it is "really so good!"

Notice that this bread has zero added fat.  Nevertheless it is moist
and does not go stale.  Ever, apparently!  But the crust is for crust
lovers and is a good workout on the old grinders.  I'd love to hear
some similarly detailed recipes in this group, especially different
techniques.

					Erik Asphaug 
				Formerly and Hopefully Again Soon
				     from Tucson Arizona