Subject: 72 Hour Emergency Supply Kits (**LONG**)

From: [email-masked] (Jack C. Lockhart)
Date: 1 Jan 1995 23:24:59 GMT

Preface and Credits:

This material was compiled from different sources by [email-masked]
(Karen Peterson) and FIRST posted to misc.rural, misc.kids and
misc.consumers newsgroups on 30 Oct 89.  We regret that the names of
those who created those sources may have become detached from the file
over the years.  My humble apologies for your not being properly
credited.  If I knew your names I would post them myself.  If you
recognize material of your own, please send e-mail and we will be
happy to give you proper credit.

The article was re-posted to ca.earthquakes by
[email-masked] (Dorothy J. Heydt) on 13 Nov 89.

On 24 Feb 94 I re-keyed the material from a paper copy, having lost
the electronic version.  I modified it slightly (adding a few words
here and there) but the material is unaffected.

Dorothy J. Heydt has given permission to repost this to appropriate
newsgroups providing proper credits are in order.

The address for [email-masked] (Karen Peterson) is no longer valid.
We would like to thank her.  Send e-mail if you know a valid e-mail
address for [email-masked] (Karen Peterson).

                            Introduction:

Some of you will probably want to put supplies together for longer
than three days but the idea is that if need be you can pick this up
and run.

Most of you will want to modify the contents to some extent.  There
are people on this planet who will read the label on the ketchup
bottle sooner than anything else, and others of us can't stand powered
milk or meat.

~jack_

  ..........................................................................

>From ucsd!ucbvax!cogsci.berkeley.edu!dorothy Mon Nov 13 13:27:02 PST 1989
Article: 976 of ca.earthquakes:
Path: orion.oac.uci.edu!ucsd!ucbvax!cogsci.berkeley.edu!dorothy
From: [email-masked] (Dorothy Heydt)
Newsgroups: ca.earthquakes
Subject: 72 Hour Emergency Supply Kits (**LONG**)
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Nov 89 18:39:20 GMT
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Dorothy Heydt)
Organization: University of California, Berkeley
Lines: 713

On 30 Oct 89 [email-masked] (Karen Peterson) wrote:

I have just been taught how to post.  Here is the information that I
have put together from a number or sources on the preparation of 72
hour kits.  It is very long.  Hope the information is useful to anyone
who needs it.

                        IDEAS FOR FOOD FOR 72 HOUR KITS

01.  Package each meal for each member in individual bags.

     Breakfast Day 1
     Lunch Day 1
     Dinner Day 1
          etc...

     This prevents any loss of food for any one person in your party
     and allows you to keep order in your kits.

02.  Pick foods your family will enjoy.

     You will find that it is very important that you place foods in
     this kit that your family will eat regardless.  You might plan to
     place foods in your kits that your family particularly enjoys,
     but that you don't always serve.

03.  Rotate your food.

     Most food comes with expiration dates on it.  It will be impor-
     tant to rotate your food according to this schedule so that you
     do not find yourself in an emergency situation with expired food.

04.  Place food in your kits that are easy to prepare or ready to eat.

     When you need to use this kit, remember you will have in most
     cases been evacuated from your home either by car or on foot.  It
     will be a stressful time for your family.  You may be in a Red
     Cross Shelter, in a campground or on the road or on the way to
     relatives homes.  You will not have all the luxuries of home. 
     Cooking at best will be difficult.  Please keep this in mind as
     you choose your foods for this 72 emergency survival kit.

05.  Don't spend a lot of money.

     This is a survival kit.  You will want to be comfortable but not
     extravagant.  The food you place in here, due to its convenience,
     will cost more than you desire to spend, however, you can keep
     the cost very reasonable.

06.  Ideas for Food.

     Beef Jerky               Saltine Crackers
     Corned Beef Hash         Soup-for-One
     Roast Beef Hash          Cheese & Crackers
     Beef Stew                Oyster Crackers
     Chili                    Dried Beef
     Ravioli                  Fruit Cups
     Applesauce Cups          Vienna Sausages
     Pudding Cups             Bread Sticks
     Cookies                  Snack Pack Cereal
     Canned Milk              Powdered Milk
     Fruit Rolls              Fun Fruits
     Packages of Raisins      Packages of Peanuts
     Granola Bars             Beef Sticks
     Box Juices               Hot Cocoa Mix
     Suckers                  Hard Candy
     Trail Mix                Power Bars

     This list is just to give you some suggestions for putting
     together your own kits.  As each families taste differ you will
     need to adjust for your own families taste.

07.  Menus - Examples

     Breakfast-Day 1     Breakfast-Day 2       Breakfast-Day 3
     ---------------     ---------------       ---------------
     Cereal              Instant Oatmeal       Granola Bar
     Powdered Milk       Fruit Roll            Granola Bar
     Fruit Cup           Box of Apple Juice    Box of Grapefruit Juice
     Box of OJ           Hot Cocoa/Ice Tea     Hot Cocoa/Ice Tea

     Lunch-Day 1         Lunch-Day 2           Lunch-Day 3
     -----------         -----------           -----------
     Cup of Soup         Beef Jerky            Box of OJ
     Saltine Crackers    Peanuts               Cheese & Crackers
     Box of Apple Juice  Applesauce Cup        Fruit Cup
     Pudding Cup         Box of Grape Juice    Granola Bar

     Dinner-Day 1        Dinner-Day 2          Dinner-Day 3
     ------------        ------------          ------------
     Corned Beef Hash    Chili with Beans      Beef Stew
     Applesauce Cup      Saltine Crackers      Bread Sticks
     Box of Grape Juice  Box of OJ             Box of OJ
     Granola Bar         Tapioca Pudding Cup   Fruit Cup

                     EMERGENCY FUEL

     CANNED HEAT (STERNO) - This can be purchased at most sporting
     goods stores as well as most grocery stores.  You will need to
     store 1 large can per person per day.

     BUDDY BURNER - Select a shallow can (tuna, cat food, etc.) and
     insert coil of corrugated cardboard the height of the can.

     Pour melted paraffin to partially fill can.  Allow to harden. 
     Birthday candle in center will help light.  A lid on the can with
     a wire handle will help control the heat.

     VAGABOND STOVE - Use a number 10 can.  Cut opening around the top
     of the can with a can opener punch.  This is to provide a draft 
     for your fire.  Then cut an opening at the bottom of the can 
     large enough to fit the Buddy Burner or a small fire.  Cook on top.

         FUEL CONSUMPTION AND BURNING TIME

     Lighting Equipment

     GAS LANTERN (Coleman, two mantle)

     Burning at the rate of 5 hours per day, the following amounts of
     white gas would be used:  Per day - 5/12 quarts; per week - 2
     12 quart per month - 3 1/8 gallons; per year - 38 gallons.

     KEROSENE LANTERN - (with a 1" wick)

     This device will burn 45 hours on 1 quart.  (Dietz Lantern 
     Information) burning at the rate of 5 hours per day, the following 
     amount of kerosene would be used:  Per day - 1/9 quarts; per week 
     7/9 quarts; per month 3 1/13 quarts; per year - 10 gallons.

     FLASHLIGHT (Two battery)

     Batteries used were well-known brands in testing).  Continuous
     running on new batteries - 7 hours.  7 month old batteries,
     continuous running - 5 hours.

     CANDLES (Burning time)

     3/4 diameter x 4" tall - 2 hours and 20 minutes
     7/8 diameter x 4" tall - 5 hours
     2" square x 9" tall - 7 hours per inch or : 4 inches - 28 hours
                                                 9 inches - 63 hours

     Heating or Cooking Equipment

     TWO PLATE GAS BURNER (Coleman)

     With both burners burning for 4 hours per day, the following
     amount of white gas would be used:  per day - 1 quart; per week -
     7 quarts; per month - 7 1/2 gallons; per year - 91 gallons.

     CAUTION: DO NOT STORE WHITE GAS, KEROSENE, & SIMILAR FUELS IN THE
     HOUSE OR WITHIN THE REACH OF CHILDREN.  Consult distributors of
     fuel, or government agencies that would have information on the
     proper storage of fuels.

               INTRODUCTION WHY A 72 HOUR SURVIVAL KIT?

     What will you do if disaster strikes your neighborhood:  a fire,
     a riot, a flood, a tornado, a hurricane, or an earthquake?  The 
     most critical need for help after the disaster is during the first 
     72 hours, yet community and government assistance will probably 
     not be available during this period.

               YOU AND YOUR FAMILY WILL BE ON YOUR OWN!

     With a minimum of expense and trouble it is possible to bring
     together a few basic items which will ease the stress of a
     difficult situation and may even save you and your families life.

     In any form of emergency situation, several things take place:
     both physical and emotional.

               1 -  We will all experience emotional shock and a cer-
                    tain amount of hysteria.

               2 -  The propensity of accidents increases.

               The greatest threat to loss of life are accidents
               that lead to severe bleeding or other forms of 
               injury or trauma.

               If we are not able to address these injuries as effec-
               tively as possible, this will greatly increase our own
               stress and could virtually debilitate some people and
               prevent them from acting in a sound and rational man-
               ner.

     We must keep in mind that in the event of a severe disaster, all
     familiar public services, including medical, will be immediately
     over-taxed and as a result, will be basically ineffectual to you
     as an individual, particularly during the first 72 hours.

     Assistance Organizations such as the Red Cross, Hospitals, the
     Military, National Guard, etc., require a certain response time
     They are looking to you to take care of yourself and your family 
     completely for a period of a few hours up to 72 hours.  It takes 
     approximately 72 hours until their operations are in full service.

                    HOW TO PACK IT...HOW TO STORE IT

     It is important that you take a comprehensive survey of your own
     family units needs and insure that you have included any special
     items that are unique to you.  Your needs could be very much
     different than the suggested lists, only you can decide what you
     and your families needs are based on your resources and experi-
     ences.  

     Once you have established and gathered together what you feel are
     necessary requirements for both an Emergency Preparedness Kit and
     a substantial First Aid Kit; you will need a container that these
     items will go in.

          1-  Fishing Tackle Boxes
          2-  Tool Boxes
          3-  Sweater Storage Boxes
          4-  Rubbermaid Tote and Go

     The items listed above are ideas for storing your large First Aid
     Kit.

     These boxes need to withstand the rigors of rapid transportation. 
     Please keep in mind that none of the items you gather together
     are of any value to you if they cannot be brought to the point of
     need and be in useable condition and render the service that the
     items were intended for.

          1-  Rubbermaid Tote and Store
          2-  Suitcase
          3-  Footlockers
          4-  Plastic Garbage Cans
          5-  Corrugated Cardboard Boxes

     The items listed above are ideas for storing your 72 hour emer-
     gency kit.

     These kits do not have to be complicated!  Rather, simple is
     better than complex, however, the need of quality and durability
     should be one of the major criteria for any items included.

               WATER STORAGE

     The Civil Defense Bulletin Reads:

               "Water to be stored should be drawn into containers
               before it is needed.  Don't wait until an emergency
               happens before laying in your supply.  When an emergen-
               cy occurs, it may be to late to act.  The public water
               service may already be interrupted or contaminated. 
               Also, if thousands of households are trying to fill
               water containers at the same time, they would reduce
               the pressure in the street mains.  This would make fire
               fighting more difficult.  Waiting until something
               happens before you draw and store the water you need
               could cost you your home or even your life."

     Be Careful About Rain Water -

               Rain water that has been collected should be treated
               the same as any other unknown water source.  Rain 
               water contains small particulates and acid.  

     Good Methods of Storing Water -

               Store Bottled Water - may be stored up to six months
               with no detrimental effect or rotation required. 

               Store Water in Old Bleach Bottles -
               Rotate every 7 to 9 months.
                         No not rinse the Plastic Chlorox Bottles
                         before filling with water.  You should not
                         get ill from drinking this water as the resi-
                         due left in the bottle is probably just the
                         right amount of chlorine to protect the wa-
                         ter.

               Purchase five gallon water containers from a camping
               supply store or Army Surplus store.  Keep in mind,
               however that you will need to transport this and possi-
               bly on foot so consider the weight involved if you
               choose this method.  Water weighs approximately 
               14-15 pounds per gallon.

     Water Purification Methods -

          Boiling-       Most water can be purified for drinking pur-
                         poses by boiling it for 10 minutes.  This
                         will destroy the bacteria.  In order to im-
                         prove the taste it will be necessary to aer-
                         ate it after boiling.  This is accomplished
                         by pouring it from one container to another
                         several times.  This should be done after the
                         water has been allowed to cool.

          Chlorination-  You can use any commercially available bleach
                         solution.  It should contain 5.25% Sodium
                         Hypochlorite.  Add the following to a clean
                         container in which when the water is added.
                         It can be thoroughly mixed by stirring or shak-
                         ing.

                                   4 drops per gallon
                                   20 drops = 1/4 tsp or
                                   enough to purify 5 gallons.

                         After adding the proper dosage and stirring,
                         allow the water to stand for 30 minutes.  It
                         should then have a distinct odor of chlorine. 
                         If this odor is not present, add another dose
                         of the solution and let stand for another 15
                         minutes.

                         The taste or smell or chlorine in water as
                         treated in this manner is a sign of safety. 
                         It is not harmful.  On the contrary, if you
                         cannot detect chlorine in water you are try-
                         ing to purify by this method, do not drink
                         it.

          Purification Tablets -

                         Tablets that release iodine may be used safe-
                         ly to purify drinking water.  These tablets
                         can be found at most drug stores and sporting
                         goods stores.  The names vary but it is ge-
                         nerically known as halazone tablets.
                              Follow the directions on the package. 
                              Usually one tablet is sufficient for one
                              quart of water.  The dosage is doubled
                              for cloudy water.

          Iodine -       Ordinary Household Iodine may be used to
                         purify small quantities of water.  Add 2-3
                         drops of Tincture Of Iodine to each quart of
                         clear water (8-10 for cloudy water).  Mix and
                         allow to stand for 30 minutes.

     Other purification methods may be recommended by the proper
     authorities if special conditions arise.  In such cases follow
     the instructions of your local government or authorities.  

     It is suggested that each member of your household have a minimum
     of 1.5 gallons of water per day.  This is including infants
     (nursing mothers will need more).  It is suggested then, that you
     store 4.5 gallons per member of your family for your 72 hour
     supply.

               PROPER SEWAGE DISPOSAL

     I know that most of you do not want to consider the possibility
     of having to leave your home and then rough it even to the point
     of having to be responsible for the dispose of your wastes,
     however, the possibility exists and the following will help you
     to take care of this unpleasant task in the proper and safest
     manner.

          You will need 12 to 18 large brown paper bags for each
          person for each day.  This allows the use of 4 to 6 bags
          each time for 3 times per day.

          You will place the bags 4 to 6 thick (one inside the other).
          
          Spray Disinfectant

          Newspapers and Toilet Tissue

          Insecticide

          Pointed Shovel

     The bags are called soil bags.  Paper is preferable to plastic
     because of their biodegradable properties.  You will place these
     bags one inside the other and spray with a disinfectant.  Then
     fold up 2 sheets of newspaper and place in the bottom of the bag. 
     Place this bag in the hole that you will use.

     After use pour 1/4 cup bleach into bag or douse with lysol then
     tie the bag shut with a piece of twine and spray the bag with
     insecticide.  If you are moving on, dig a hose 30 to 36 six
     inches deep and bury the bag.  Make sure that you cover it well
     with dirt and then stomp on the dirt to make sure that there isn't
     any air-gaps in the hole.

     If you have made camp and will be staying you can place all the
     soil bags in a large plastic bag with a tie on it and place it in
     a large trash can that is not being used for garbage.  Then at
     the end of the day, all the paper bags can be buried at one time.

               WHAT DO I NEED?

     INSTRUCTION MANUALS ON EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS - This is a start. 
     It can be reviewed with family members.  Further information is
     available to you at your local library.

     BATTERY POWERED RADIO - Local stations and the Emergency Broad-
     cast System will be the only source of reliable information
     during an emergency.

     If the radio is a permanent addition to your 72 hour kit it
     should be checked regularly to make sure both it and the batter-
     ies are in working order.

     FLASHLIGHT - These should be stored outside of the radio and
     flashlight.  The shelf life can be extended if the batteries are
     kept in the refrigerator or freezer.

     FAMILY RECORDS AND VALUABLES - Birth Certificates, Naturalization
     Papers, and Diplomas, Insurance Certificates, Genealogy Informa-
     tion, Computer Disks, Passports, etc.

     ITEMS FOR STRESS MANAGEMENT - After the initial response to an
     emergency, the disrupted life style and disorientation can cause
     undo emotional stress and feeling of insecurity.  Items that are
     emotionally reassuring should be included in the emergency kit.

     These can include crayons, coloring books, story books, puzzles,
     soft small toys for children.  Personal items for adults should
     be included such as books, handiwork, musical instrument, or
     sports equipment.

     PLASTIC BAGS AND TIES - These items can serve as garbage contain-
     ers, ground cloths, tents, wash basins, broken window cover, and
     substitute rain coat.

     DISINFECTANT - Bleach, lysol, betadine can be used to treat
     sewage, waste water, and refuse to minimize infection.  Storage
     containers for these items must be unbreakable.

     IMPROVISED TOILET - Pack a pointed shovel, and a plastic bucket
     with a tight fitting lid.  Pack 12 to 18 paper bags per person 
     per day.  Sanitation is the most important consideration.  
     Remember to also pack the toilet tissue.

     PAPER CUPS, PLATES, BOWLS and DISPOSABLE UTENSILS - This will
     help you to conserve water and at the same time minimize contami-
     nation problems.

     PAPER TOWELS

     SOAP - Liquid soap (soft soap or pump ivory) works best when
     water supplies are limited.

     FEMININE HYGIENE NEEDS

     DISPOSABLE DIAPERS

     MEDICATIONS FOR THREE DAYS (72 HOURS) FOR EACH MEMBER OF THE FAMILY

     TOILETRIES - Although these are not necessary for survival they
     will contribute to a sense of well-being and comfort.  Toothbrush
     and toothpaste, comb and hair brush, washcloth and towel, deodor-
     ant, shaving supplies and mirror, shampoo and mouthwash.

     FIRST AID KIT - It is assumed that major medical needs will be
     taken care of by community resources.  The community has a plan
     which will deploy paramedics, fire departments, police, and other
     medical personnel as needed to areas where major injuries have
     occurred.

     The purpose, therefore, of the items included in the family First
     Aid Kit is to treat minor injuries so that they do not become a
     major threat to health during the first few days of an emergency.

     WATER STORAGE - General Water Storage is 1.5 gallons per person
     per day.

     SLEEPING BAGS and BEDROLLS - Wool blankets resist fire, they warm
     even when wet and they are less bulky than sleeping bags.  There
     must be adequate and appropriate sleeping cover for every member
     of the family.

     FIRE EXTINGUISHER

     CAN OPENER - A manual type must be packed with any canned goods.

     UTILITY KNIFE - A sharp versatile knife will come in handy for
     many purposes.

     ADJUSTABLE WRENCH - This must be kept handy to gas and water
     lines.  Each member of the family should be trained how to turn
     off gas or water in the event of an emergency.  Turning off water
     not only prevents damage to one's home, but also provides in-
     creased water pressure for community use.

     Water trapped in the hot water tank and indoor plumbing will stay
     clean once the main water valve is turned off.

     EXTRA CHANGE OF CLOTHING and UNDERWEAR FOR EACH FAMILY MEMBER

     MISCELLANEOUS - Small Ax, Heavy Gloves, and MATCHES stores in a
     waterproof unbreakable container.

                         SOS

     In the case of most emergency's there will be little if no
     communication over telephone lines.

     It is imperative that all members of your family learn to send
     morse code SOS.  This is the universal sign for HELP.

     It can be sent many ways, by signal mirror, lantern, key and
     whistle.

     It is very simple, however, care must be taken to insure that
     each member knows how to send it and receive it.  You must
     practice this skill if you are to retain it.

               S (dit dit dit)
               O (dah dah dah)
               S (dit dit dit)

     Dits are very short blasts of light or sound.
     Dahs are longer (3x that of dits) of light or sound.

                    CHILDREN'S SURVIVAL KIT

     Store these items in water proof containers.  A plastic bucket is
     ideal for this.  Make it accessible to your emergency kits.

     Suggested Items:

          01.  Scriptures
          02.  Books & Magazines
          03.  Paper, Coloring Books, and Activity Books
          04.  Felt Tip Markers, Colored Pencils, Scissors
          05.  Games
          06.  Small toys
          07.  Any Hard Candy
          08.  Children's Vitamins, Pain-Reliever, Cold Remedies, Band
               Aids, and First-Aid Cream
          09.  Creative Game List
          10.  String
          11.  Clothespins
          12.  Feather
          13.  Straws
          14.  Wooden Blocks
          15.  Marbles
          16.  Metal Washers

                    CREATIVE GAME LIST

     This is a list of games that children can play out of everyday
     items.

     Clothespins -
          01.  Drop in a bottle
          02.  Pitch at a target
          03.  Clothesline relay

     Wooden Blocks -
          01.  Print letters on cubes.  Roll cubes to spell words. 
               First one to complete 10 words wins.

     Marbles -
          01.  Roll them at a target
          02.  Toss them in a box
          03.  Old Fashioned Marble Game

     Metal Washers -
          01.  Toss them into numbered cups.

     Paper Cups -
          01.  Tossing Games
          02.  Blowing Relay
          03.  Telephone

     Paper Plates -
          01.  Toss through a wire coat hanger

     Straws -
          01.  Marble Blow Relay
          02.  Bean Relay

     Spoons - 
          01.  Carry Ball
          02.  Flip Beans at target
          03.  Carry Cotton Balls

     Feathers -
          01.  Feather Volleyball: blow feather over string or net
          02.  Toss them at a target
          03.  Blow them over the line relay

If you have any further need of information post or e-mail to me and
I'll try to find the answers for you.  Our kits are homemade and we
keep them in small backpacks (2 for each person) and the water in
portable containers.  My Husband's backpack is in his vehicle as he is
on the road most of the time.  He keeps the first aid kit (extensive)
with him as he is a volunteer EMT.  I have the children's packs right
by the front door in a closet, along with the family first aid kit.
We keep an extra set in my car.  By having an extra in the car - if
you come across an accident or someone who is stranded with a broken
vehicle - you can offer some assistance (i.e. blanket, flashlight food,
or water).

All of my children have been assigned jobs - one thing that they need
to do in case of emergency or evacuation.  We routinely practice these
items.  Then they pick up their kits and meet at the assigned meeting
point.

We have only had to leave once - it was during a fire when we lived in
Southern California.  We were gone overnight.  It was good to have
things that the children felt comfortable with.  We returned home with
no incident.

Hope this helps.

Karen.