Subject: Re: Need an expert on Brown Recluse Spider

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 1994 01:55:26 GMT

>
>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>(Melvin McDowell) writes:
>
>        >I am looking for an expert for use in litigation. The case
>concerns allegations that a brown recluse spider in a box of bananas bit
>someone causing injury.  Any information concerning the habitat,
>behavior, toxcity, etc. of the brown recluse spider would be appreciated.
>
 
I am not a recluse person, but depending on what REALLY bit the person, I
can help somewhat.
 
1. Most people think the recluse exists were IT DOES NOT.  Here in the
Pacific Northwest, I always hear "Yeah I just saw one."  NO THEY DID NOT!
 
2. I have constructed a flyer for our local grocery stores re toxic spiders
that have been coming in a lot more frequently from Ecuador:  Giant crab
spiders, and wandering spider - I have 2 specimens from our local stores
that are from banana boxes (from Ecuador).  They are genus Phoneutria,
species unknown.  Note that Phoneutria nigriventor is THE MOST TOXIC
beastie in S. America.   This banana spider problem has increased a lot
 the past couple of years.
 
3. I work on the aggressive house spider, Tegenaria agrestis. It's bites
cause necrotic lesions similar to the recluse.  Distribution is PNW, MT, UT.
You may have seen an article in Good Housekeeping/Reader's Digest last yr.
It said "Recluse bit the lady"  Well, after the article came out there was
mass panic and people sending in spiders for ID.  Guess what...many T. agrestis
Not a single recluse.
 
4. Unless the spider who did the biting is acutally caught in the act, you'll
have a tough case.  Most people do not know what bit them-don't even feel the
bites or see the spider.  Then,"Oh, I have a big hole in my leg...."
 
Didn't catch the originator of this message, but can send a few snail-mail
items if he/she wants.  I have done no expert witnessing, but my late
employer did so for a couple of T. agrestis lawsuits.
#################################################################
LIZ MYHRE                    ##ENTOMOLOGIST/TECHNICIAN LOOKING ##
DEPT ENTOMOLOGY              ##FOR JOB, ESP. PACIFIC NORTHWEST ##
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY  ##EXPERIENCE: URBAN ENTOMOLOGY,   ##
PULLMAN, WA  99164-6382      ##CHEMICAL TESTING, CARPENTER ANTS##
PHONE: 509-335-3681          ##YELLOWJACKETS, TOXIC SPIDERS    ##
FAX: 509-335-1009            ##SCIENTIFIC ILLUSTRATION, SLIDE  ##
                             ##GRAPHICS, PHOTOGRAPHY, MACINTOSH##
#################################################################
E-MAIL: [email-masked]
#################################
#    ___    ___                 #
#       ›__/  ___   _______     #
#       |@@|_/   ›^/› › › ››    #
#       ›--/-^ ^ ^ ›/_/_/_//    #
#           /  |  ›             #
#          /   |   ›            #
#                               #
#################################