Subject: Re: Antibiotics in a First Aid Kit

From: [email-masked] (Robert Allen)
Date: 20 Sep 1994 05:45:11 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (W. Joseph Cooklin) writes:
+
+Amoxicillin, from what I've been told, is kind of a "shotgun"
+antibiotic, my kids get it for strep throat, ear infections, etc.
+Maybe your Dr. would perscribe an emergency supply for you.
+Another one that my kids have been given is Teramycin. You shld
+be able to get that at a farm supply store, we used to give it
+to pigs. 

Two antibiotics to ask your doctor about are cephalexin (brand
name Keflex) and ciproflaxin (sp?) (brand name Cipro).  I
believe these are the recommended antibios. mentioned in
Dr. Weiss' book on wilderness medicine.

Some antibiotics should not be given to young kids because
the drugs bond to calcium, which messes up young bones and
teeth.  (that's why you shouldn't take some antibios. with
milk products; it bonds to the milk and  loses  some effectiveness).

And remember, when taking antibiotics, always complete the
course prescribed.  Failure to do that is what results in
the nasty resistant bugs which are floating around hospitals
nowadays.

In vet catalogs I've seen Tetracycline, Amoxycillin, Penicillin,
and Terramyacin (Scours tablets).

A word on ordering things like this.  I don't know if this stuff
is watched, or will be watched, but you want to be circumspect.
Understand what the vet drug is used for, and have some background
in case your vet supplier asks you any casual questions.  If you
order Fishicillin, Scours tablets, and 2-3 other antibiotics, it
may  look a little strange.  Split an order with a friend.  Be
seeing you :-).
-- 
Robert Allen, [email-masked]

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and
	do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

    The Constitution of the United States: R.I.P, 8/26/94