Subject: Re: Maggot Debridement Therapy

From: [email-masked] (Mark Thomen)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 95 12:18:19 PST

In <[email-masked]> Richard A. De Castro writes:
>
>>Hm.  Sherman (as reported by TWSJ) said they definitely do not eat live
>>tissue, thought perhaps he meant only their preference, and was
>>exagerrated...
>
>I recall the article saying that if they had only fresh meat, they'd starve.
>

Here's the reference I found:  US Army Special Forces Medical Handbook
(ST 31-91B), Chapter 22 (Primitive Medicine):

 "22-3 Maggot Therapy for Wound Debridement

       a.  Introducing maggots into a wound can be hazardous because
           the wound must be exposed to flies.  Flies, because of their
           filthy habits, are likely to introduce bacteria into the wound,
           causing additional complications.  Maggots will also invade
           live, healthy tissue when the dead tissue is gone or not readily
           available.  Maggot invasion of healthy tissue causes extreme
           pain and hemorrhage, possibly severe enough to be fatal.

       b.  ...  (procedure for establishing omitted)

           ...

           (6) ...  However it can be said with certainty that the maggots
               should be removed immediately once they have removed all the
               dead tissue and *before* they become established in healthy
               tissue.  When the maggots begin feeding on normal, healthy
               tissue, the individual will feel an increased level of pain
               at the site of the wound as the maggots come in contact with
               "live" nerves.  Bright red blood in the wound also indicates
               that the maggots have reached healthy tissue."

  Mark