Subject: Food Storage

From: [email-masked] (SZaw)
Date: 10 Feb 1995 06:14:22 -0500

All of the listed info on nitro and CO2 food packing is correct.  It is
also a pain in the butt.  You can now do what the big commercial food
packing companies are doing, and very cheaply as well.  Use the latest
technology--oxygen absorbers.  They're little packets roughly an inch
square that are simply added to the can or bucket or even zip lock bags
you're placing the food or metallic object in.  These little packets
prevent oxidation, so food stores much longer (10+ years, potentially) and
metals don't rust.  These have been on the market for several years; we
got them  (of course) from the Japanese.  They are placed in most of the
cans and pouches sold by such dehydrated food companies as Alpineaire,
Backpacker's Pantry, and Country Harvest, to name a few.   Note: these are
NOT the same as dessicant packs, which remove moisture.  If anyone is
interested in more info on either Oxygen Absorbers or dessicant packs,
feel free to contact me.
**************************************************************************
********************
Steve, Self-Reliance Resources, Inc.
"HE THAT IS PREPARED SHALL NOT FEAR"
[email-masked]
**************************************************************************
********************