Subject: Survival Books & Periodicals (list)

From: [email-masked] (Uncle Wiggley)
Date: 19 Sep 1994 05:24:37 GMT

Here's a start on a list of books and periodicals .....   - Uncle Wiggley 
<[email-masked]>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stackpole Books
P.O. Box 1831, Cameron & Kelker Sts.
Harrisburg, PA 17105
717-234-5041
800-732-3669  (800-READ-NOW)
FAX: 717-234-1359

     Established in the early 1930s as "Stackpole Sons", the company
that is today STACKPOLE BOOKS began as a small, family-owned publishing
house.  In the early years Stackpole Sons published a handful of books a
year by a diverse and fascinating list of authors including Benny
Goodman, Huey Long, Charles Goren, and Gifford Pinchot.  The acquisition
of The Military Service Publishing Company in 1935 brought a strong
tradition of army history and military reference guides to Stackpole, a
tradition that continues.  Stackpole currently launches more than 50 new
titles a year in the areas of crafts, outdoor sports, nature, history,
and adventure and continues as a family-owned house, zealously guarding
its reputation for quality publishing while seeking to preserve its
healthy growth of recent years.

The table of contents lists the following sections:

New Titles, Nature, Outdoors, Crafts, Gardening & Cooking, Painting &
General Interest, Carving, Woodworking, Osprey (a series of military
history books), Military History, Sporting Literature, Fishing, Hunting,
Guns (including Gunsmithing), Military Reference.

In the Outdoors section, they even have a listing for a game
called "Outdoor Survival: A Game about Wilderness Skills".  Sounds
interesting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Horizon Utah
(also known as Horizon Pubs. and Distributors, Inc.)
P.O. Box 490, 50 S. 500 W.
Bountiful, UT 84011-0490
801-295-9451. 800-453-0812. FAX 801-295-0196.

Most of the books published by Horizon Utah are on subjects related to
the Mormon faith.  However, even if you are not interested in that,
their book list is worth getting for the several books (about 20 at last
count) which they do have on survivalist subjects.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gordon Press Pubs.
P.O. Box 459, Bowling Green Sta.
New York, NY 10004
718-624-8419

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lindsay Publication, Inc.
P.O. Box 538
Bradley, IL 60915-0538
815-935-5353

They offer a catalogue of their books for $1.00, they have a lot of old
books on machine work, like making your own blast furnace, metal
castings and even machine tools, even a survival in the woods book.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long Survival Publications
P.O. Box 163    
115 Riverview Drive
Wamego, KS 66547

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avon Books
105 Madison Ave.
New York, NY 10016     
212-481-5653

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anchor Press (Doubleday and Co., Inc.)
P.O. Box 5071
Des Plaines, IL 60017-5071
212-765-6500 
800-223-6834

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Police Bookshelf
P.O. Box 122
Concord, NH 03302-0122
Order Number: 800-624-9049
Customer Service: 603-224-6814

Sellers of books and video tapes on crime prevention, police training,
and self defense at home and on the street.  Also available are
police equipment and Second Chance ballistic vests.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Paladin Press
P.O. Box 1307
Boulder, CO 80306

Customer Service: (303)443-7250
Orders: (800)392-2400  USA ONLY
        (800)872-4993  USA AND CANADA

Their catalog is available for free.  Just call and give them your
address.  The kinds of books and videos that they sell are in some ways
similar to those sold by Loompanics Unlimited.  Their catalog is
smaller, and it seems that since my catalog says "Vol. 22, No. 3" that
they update it frequently.  Here is the list of section titles in
their catalog:

Revenge & Humor, New ID & Personal Freedom, Espionage & Investigation,
Explosives & Demolitions, Weapons, Military Science, Ninjutsu, Special
Forces, Survival, Martial Arts, Action Careers, Sniping, Knives & Knife
Fighting, Locksmithing, Self-Defense, Police Science, Terrorism,
Silencers

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loompanics Unlimited
Box 1197
Port Townsend, WA 98368

Their 250 page catalog is available for $5.  Get it.  It can be very
entertaining to read and browse (it can also be offensive, depending on
your beliefs).  On the catalog, they claim that they are "Sellers of
Unusual Books", and I would have to agree that many of their books are
highly unusual. I don't agree with some of the statements in their
introduction (especially the one about "we do not believe in limits.  We
do not believe in laws, rules, or regulations."), but they do have some
good books, and some bad ones.

Following is the introduction and table of contents from their catalog:

     Welcome to the Loompanics Unlimited Book Catalog -- The Best Book
Catalog in the World.  This catalog is an important source for
anarchists, survivalists, iconoclasts, self-liberators, mercenaries,
investigators, drop-outs, researchers, and just about anyone interested
in the strange, the useful, the arcane, the oddball, the unusual, the
unique, and the diabolical.

     Herein you will find controversial and unusual books on a wide
variety of subjects.  Most of these books cannot be found in even the
largest libraries. The majority of them will never be seen in
bookstores.  They are here now -- available to you...

     So controversial are the books we offer that most magazines will
not allow us to advertise.  Most bookstores and distributors refuse to
carry our titles.  Most periodicals refuse to review our books, or
mention our existence.

     That's OK with us.  We know where we belong:  we are the lunatic
fringe of the libertarian movement.  Because we do not believe in
limits.  We do not believe in laws, rules, or regulations.  We have
contempt for censorship, secrecy and dogmatism.  We don't give a damn
about being "respectable," or Politically Correct.  We don't care about
anything except having fun and your right to find out anything you want
to know.  Nothing is sacred to us, not even skepticism and
self-reliance.

     Here is a listing of subjects you will find covered in this amazing
Catalog.

THE UNDERGROUND ECONOMY.  The booming tax-free "Off The Books" economy
-- and how you can profit from it.  (Pages 1 thru 8)

MONEY-MAKING OPPORTUNITIES.  If you're so smart, why aren't you rich?
(Pages 9 thru 19)

PRIVACY AND HIDING THINGS.  We all have something to hide, don't we?
The world's finest books on stashing your contraband and valuables, and
attaining and keeping privacy.  (Pages 20 thru 29)

FAKE I.D.  We are very proud of this amazing section.  It contains the
most comprehensive and excellent selection of books on I.D., fake I.D.
and related subjects ever offered for sale.  (Pages 30 thru 39)

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU.  1984 has come and gone, but Big Brother is
still watching you.  (Pages 40 thru 47)

CONDUCTING INVESTIGATIONS.  Professional and effective techniques and
methods for gathering information and intelligence -- now revealed for
you to use! (Pages 48 thru 56)

CRIME AND POLICE SCIENCE.  For cops and robbers everywhere.  (Pages 57
thru 68)

LOCKS AND LOCKSMITHING.  The most complete collections of books on
locks, lock picking, and lock bypassing ever offered.  These books will
open many doors for you...  (Pages 69 thru 74)

SELF DEFENSE.  Protect yourself, your property, and your loved ones.
What good is the "right" to self defense without the knowledge?  (Pages
75 thru 80)

REVENGE.  How to kick ass and take names.  Don't get mad -- get even!
(Pages 81 thru 85)

GUNS.  Guns are even more American than Mom and apple pie.  Come on,
American: show us your guns!  (Pages 86 thru 96)

WEAPONS.  "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free."  (The
Weapon Shops if Isher, A. E. Van Vogt)  (Pages 97 thru 105)

BOMBS AND EXPLOSIVES.  Things that go Boom! in the night (and day).
(Pages 106 thru 109)

GUERRILA WARFARE.  Will it happen here?  It has in many (most?) other
countries...  (Pages 110 thru 114)

MURDER AND TORTURE.  Little discussed areas of the political arts.
(Pages 115 thru 132)

SURVIVAL.  Survive and prosper in the coming "interesting" times. (Pages
133 thru 136)

SELF-SUFFICIENCY.  Taking care of yourself -- without government "help".
(Pages 137 thru 141)

HEAD FOR THE HILLS.  Dropping out, retreating, uninhabited islands,
nomadic living, and more.  (Pages 142 thru 158)

GIMME SHELTER.  Real housing for real people.  (Pages 149 thru 158)

HEALTH AND LIFE EXTENSION.  How to live longer and better.  Did somebody
say something about death and taxes?  (Pages 159 thru 161)

PARALEGAL SKILLS.  Free yourself from the Legal Guild.  (Pages 162 thru
164)

SEX.  Sex is great!  Sex is good!  Yea, sex!!! (Pages 165 thru 171)

DRUGS.  The real dope on dope!  (Pages 172 thru 180)

ROCK 'N' ROLL.  Man does not live by bread alone...  (Pages 181 thru
191)

INTELLIGENCE INCREASE.  If you're so rich, why aren't you smart?  (Pages
192 thru 202)

SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY.  Visionary science for the future... and now.
(Pages 203 thru 206)

HERESY/WEIRD IDEAS.  Kicking around some sacred chaos...  (Pages 207
thru 223)

ANARCHISM AND EGOISM.  Forbidden philosophies for far-out people...
(Pages 224 thru 232)

MASS MEDIA.  The blow-dried "reality" of TV, magazines, newspapers,
movies, etc...  (Pages 233 thru 240)

REALITY CREATION.  Make your own world.  Make the world you want by
doing what you want.  (Pages 241 thru 243)

SELF-PUBLISHING.  The "press" is "free" only if you own one!  (Pages 244
thru 247)

MISCELLANEOUS.  Stuff that didn't quite fit in any of the other
sections. (Pages 248 thru 254)

     This catalog is for knowledge.  It is for joy and pleasure.  It is
for the unlimited potential of each individual -- for the undying spirit
of human freedom and resistance to tyranny.  Do not let anyone tell you
what to think or feel -- decide for yourself!

     We hope you enjoy our books and catalogs as much as we enjoy
putting them together.  If you know of any good books which are not
currently in our catalog, please tell us about them.  Happy book
hunting, and good reading!
     -- Michael Hoy, Pres.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lancer Militaria
Box 886
Mount Ida, AR 71957
501-867-2232

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
P.O. Box 8040, 250 Wireless Blvd.
Hauppauge, NY 11788
516-434-3311
800-645-3476

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAB Books  (A division of McGraw-Hill, Inc.)
Blue Ridge Summit, PA 17294-0840
707-794-2191
800-822-8158

>From a survivalist point of view, their most interesting books seem to
be on do it yourself, crafts, electronics, radio, and maybe some of the
stuff on boating.  Alas, my major field of interest and study, computer
science, will probably not be the most useful knowledge to have in a
crisis situation.  Here are the subject headings from their book list,
Spring/Summer 1992.

Do-It-Yourself
  Audio, Video,  D-I-Y Repair and Automotive Maintenance,
  Home Building and Improvement, Locksmithing and Metalworking,
  Woodworking
Computers
  Accounting, Artificial Intelligence, Computer-Aided Design (CAD),
  Communications, Computer Crime/Security/Viruses, Computer Repair,
  Databases, Desktop Publishing, Games, General Reference, Graphics,
  Hardware, Industrial Automation, Integrated Software,
  Management Information Systems, Networking,  Operating Systems,
  Peripherals, Portable Computers, Professional Programming,
  Programming, Programming Languages, Software Engineering,
  Spreadsheets, Utilities, Word Processing, Intel
Engineering and Mathematics
Mainframe Computing
  Computer Communications Series, J. Ranade IBM Series,
  Computer Engineering Series, Software Engineering Series,
  Artifical Intelligence Series, Computing That Works Series,
  Database Experts' Series, General Computing, Programming Languages,
  Programming Tools for Scientists and Engineers, Unix/C Series
Electronics Engineering
  Optical and Electro-Optical Series, Intel/McGraw-Hill Series
Electronics
  Electronics Reference and Theory, Electronics Projects and Experiments,
  Amateur Radio
Science
  Science/Senior High & Adult, Science/Elementary & Junior High
Boating
  Boat Modeling, Boat and Equipment Guides, Boatbuilding and Yacht Design,
  Cruising Handbooks, Knots, Rigging, and Sails,
  Boat Maintenance, Repairs, and Customizing
  Maritime History, Nautical Miscellany, Navigation and Seamanship,
  Watersports: Rowing, Paddling, and Yacht Racing
Hobby/Craft
  Model Building, Soft Crafts and Crafts for Children
Aviation
  Flying Skills, Aviation Reference, Lightplanes and Ultralights,
  Military Aviation and Aviation History, Other Aviation

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atlan Formularies
P.O. Box 327
Harrison, AR 72601
501-743-2700

Publisher of "The Survivor"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Doug Kennedy)
Date: 20 Sep 1994 04:03:04 GMT

I haven't seen this mentioned, so here goes.
The only magazine I know of dedicated to Safety,
Emergency Preparedness and Survival is:

_American Survival Guide_.  1980.  $26.95 (foreign $35.95).
McMullen Publishing, 2145 W. La Palma Ave., Anaheim, CA 92801.
Tel. (714) 635-9040.  (Subsr. to: Venture Communications Intl.,
Inc., 60 Madison Ave., New York, NY  10160-0981)  Editor:
Jim Benson.

Former Titles:  Shooter's Journal Survival Guide; Shooter's Journal.

Description:  For independent people interested in the protection
of individual life and property, and the perservation of the U.S. 
Includes articles on medical and first aid trips, wilderness skills,
self defense, and more.

(this information is from Ulrich's directory of periodicals, 1994).

Personally, I like the rag overall.  Supply outfits like Major Surplus
and Emergency Essentials advertise in there, and the articles are
usually useful.  Check your local news stand for a copy (I've seen
it around.)

Happy Surviving,

Doug Kennedy
[email-masked]
-- 

-- Doug Kennedy (N5RQI) <[email-masked]> --
--            University of Oklahoma            --
--  School of Library and Information Studies   --