Subject: self-sufficiency publications

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Nov 94 20:41:30 CST

A Sheet to Share  -  make copies and pass along  (this version
may be copied only electronically and in its entirety - see end
for address for reproducible hard copy).

                    Self-Sufficiency 
         Magazines and Newsletters - I

 Back Home, P.O.Box 370, Mountain Home, NC 28758.  $16/year (four issues), $4.50 for 
 sample issue.  "Dedicated to providing practical and useful information designed to 
 help people gain more control of their lives, whether it be in country, town or 
 city."  Nice homey feel, wide variety of articles.
 
 Backwoods Home Magazine, 1257 Siskiyou Blvd #213, Ashland, OR 97520.  $17.95/year 
 (six issues), $4.00 for sample issue.  Alternative energy, home building, gardening, 
 storing food, raising animals, other aspects of self-sufficiency.  Very good!
 
 Coping with Turbulent Times, Box 4630T SFA Sta., Nacogdoches, TX 75962.  $5/four 
 issues, $1 plus SASE for sample issue.  The theme of this newsletter, as may be 
 evident from the title, is that the times we live in bring many problems and that 
 there are lots of things we can do to be better prepared to meet them.  
 
 Country Journal, 6405 Flank Dr., Harrisburg, PA  17112.  $16.95/year (six issues).  
 The only one of the slicker country magazines that seems worthwhile.  Has some good 
 practical information aimed at helping lead a simpler, more self-reliant life.
 
 COUNTRYSIDE & Small Stock Journal, "The honestly original country magazine", N2601 
 Winter Sports, Withee, WI  54498  $18/year (six issues), $3.00 for sample issue.  
 Some emphasis on small stock (rabbits, chickens, sheep, etc), but has variety of 
 articles & tips from readers on gardening & other skills for the homestead.
 
 Dwelling Portably, P.O.Box 190, Philomath, OR 97370.  Sample $1 (cash).  Aimed at 
 people living in tents, tipis, etc. it has many tips useful to the rest of us too.
 
 Gentle Survivalist, Box 4004, St. George, UT  84770.  $17.00 year (11 issues), $2.00 
 for sample issue.  An interesting mixture of philosophizing, helpful tips, and 
 useful sources (with addresses) - focus on natural living, Native American prepared-
 ness, self-sufficiency.
 
 Greener Pastures Gazette, P.O.Box 2190, Henderson, NV 89009. $25/year (quarterly).  
 "The readers digest to the 'back to small town values and lifestyles' movement." 
 Articles, reviews, etc. on moving to small towns, especially in the Western states. 
 
 Living Free, Box 29, Hiler Branch, Buffalo, NY 14223  $9/six issues (about a year)  
 Newsletter on low cost, low profile living.  Strong Libertarian viewpoint and dis-
 cussions may be repellent to some, but provides useful ideas and sources of ideas.
 
 Mother Earth News, 24 E 23rd St. New York, NY 10010.  $17.95/year(six issues), $3.00 
 per copy.  "The original country magazine."  - has information on gardening, home-
 steading, do-it-yourself projects, "bootstrap" businesses, etc.
 
 Organic Gardening, 33 E. Minor St., Emmaus, PA 18098.  $25/year (nine issues), 
 (usually offer lower introductory rate).  Excellent source of organic garden-
 ing methods and tips.  Also recipes, etc.
   Newsletter of Rural Network, Inc. (membership $35/year).  Letters sharing 
 experiences of living in the country. 
 
 Rural Property Bulletin, P.O.Box 37, Sparks, NE 69220. $16/year (12 issues), 
 sample $2.  Ads for rural, small town properties, and businesses for sale 
 across the country. 

 Version 4.0   Copyright (c) 1994 A.D. by Individual Investors Institute, Box 4630 
 SFA Sta., Nacogdoches, TX 75962.  Permission is granted through 1/31/95 to reproduce 
 this sheet (after that date, send SASE for possible updated sheet).  Corrections, 
 comments, and suggestions appreciated.  A similar sheet, Self-Sufficiency Magazines 
 and Newsletters - II, and one on "preparedness" newsletters is available.  Send SASE 
 to receive a copy of either or both.