Subject: Re: The six most important books

From: [email-masked] (Bill Seward)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 00:58:21 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Richard A. De Castro) says:
>
>Many weeks ago now I had an email exchange with someone (who's name
>escapes me, unfortunately) about his wanting to post the question to
>everyone, "What would you consider the 6 most important books to
>have in a survival situation?".  I thought this would be a great topic
>(especially now, to try to get us back on charter), and since my missing
>correspondent hasn't asked the question, I thought I would.

Sounds like a killer idea.

1. The Millwrighs and Mechanics Handbook.  It was published in Canada 
   some years ago by Coles.  It's hard to categorize, but it has 
   sections on about everything from mechanical power transmission 
   (belts gears etc.) to carpentry, blacksmithing, etc.  From my
   experience, it has enough information on each area to a least get
   you goin in the right direction.
2. The US Army Special Forces Medical Handbook.
3. I guess I can go with a CRC Handbook.  While not immediately useful in
   all situations, it would be invaluable at some point.
4. A good single volume encyclopedia.  Useful for the same reason as the
   CRC Handbook.
5. A good book on the military arts.  I have several; I hate to choose
   just one.
6. Just for fun--Hoyle's Handbook of Games.  There will be days when
   you are rained (or something else) in.

Also, while not a book, I'd suggest the best solar-powered programmable
scientific calculator you could find.  Makes the real books easier to
use in a lot of circumstances.

-----------------------------------------------------
Bill Seward
[email-masked]
I speak for myself.  No one else will.

---

From: [email-masked] (21012d)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 01:40:43 GMT

:-) Nice topic

  I would suggest that the Merck manuals (human and vetinary)
are not good first choices because pretty much all the treatment
and much of the diagnosis requires a modern medical "establishment"

I think there is some minor problem with the alternate proposal...
most books have about desity one...so .5 cubic meter is 
500 kg.  (a well loaded packing box can be 30 kg, an applebox 50+)

I would still have to wonder about scenario,  "rebuilding
civilization" is different from "walking across the country
to my brothers place" is different from "leave the US for 
a foreign country"

    With that in mind, it is worth considering
        1. maps, even your standard freeway guides...in a 
"rebuild civiliation, a really good atlas would have value.
        2. language guides or translaters. (consider the
value if you are the "illiterate/ nonnative speaker"

 I keep my eyes out for high density small format books similar
to Merck manuals in size, Have 4 or 5 old "handbooks" of varous
sorts  (Mining, Naval, Construction)  and a recent version 
of Machinerys Handbook.

I would second the idea of the CRC Handbook but I think its
already close to the weight limit. 

A scenario of "refugee camp" would be a tough one, but one 
might expect to find doctors and medics in such a situation.

It would still be a tough call.
Les DeGroff

---

From: lftheria <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Mar 1995 01:51:20 GMT

[email-masked] (Richard A. De Castro) wrote:
>
> Many weeks ago ... wanting to post the question to
> have in a survival situation?".  

>(snip)

> And, to cut down on discussion, lets assume that we already have a small
> religous tract of our particular denomination, the ones the US Military 
> makes available are so small and lightweight that we would call them a 
> freebee.  
> 
> So what does the rest of the world have to say?  I also posted this
> to the alt.survival board for the few who can't get misc.survivalism,
> I think their input would be invaluable.
> 
> Let the <survivalism> discussions BEGIN!
> 
I propose the following:

FOOD
1.  "How to Grow More Vegetables," John Jeavons, 10 Speed Press,
     Box 7123 Berkeley CA 94707

MAKING AND FIXING STUFF
2.  "Back to Basics", Norman Mack (ed.) Reader's Digest Books,
     Pleasantville, NY

MEDICAL STUFF
3.  "Where There is no Doctor (orig Donde no Hay Doctor)", 
     David Werner, Hesperian Foundation, PO Box 1692 Palo Alto, CA
4.  "Basic Pharmacology for Nurses", Squire & Welch, CV Mosby Co,
     St. Louis, MO
5.  "Family Medical Guide", Donald Cooley (ed.) Better Homes and
     Gardens Books, Des Moines IA

TECHNOLOGY STUFF
6.  "Mechanical Engineer's Handbook", 9th Ed, W.V Marks, Harcourt
     Brace Jovanovich, 1993
7.  "Photovoltaics Systems Engineering", L.F. Theria (shameless plug)
     Solavolt International Publications, 1989

FUN STUFF
8.  "Norton Anthology of English Literature", W.W. Norton Co., Boston MA
9.  "Chronicles of Narnia", C.S. Lewis, Collier/McMillan Books, 
     New York, NY
10. "Collected Works of William Shakespeare", W.W. Norton Co., Boston
     MA

---

From: [email-masked] (Vampire)
Date: 28 Mar 95 20:45:15 CST

21012d ([email-masked]) wrote:
:  :-) Nice topic

:   I would suggest that the Merck manuals (human and vetinary)
: are not good first choices because pretty much all the treatment
: and much of the diagnosis requires a modern medical "establishment"

: I think there is some minor problem with the alternate proposal...
: most books have about desity one...so .5 cubic meter is 
: 500 kg.  (a well loaded packing box can be 30 kg, an applebox 50+)

: I would still have to wonder about scenario,  "rebuilding
: civilization" is different from "walking across the country
: to my brothers place" is different from "leave the US for 
: a foreign country"

:     With that in mind, it is worth considering
:         1. maps, even your standard freeway guides...in a 
: "rebuild civiliation, a really good atlas would have value.
:         2. language guides or translaters. (consider the
: value if you are the "illiterate/ nonnative speaker"

:  I keep my eyes out for high density small format books similar
: to Merck manuals in size, Have 4 or 5 old "handbooks" of varous
: sorts  (Mining, Naval, Construction)  and a recent version 
: of Machinerys Handbook.

: I would second the idea of the CRC Handbook but I think its
: already close to the weight limit. 

: A scenario of "refugee camp" would be a tough one, but one 
: might expect to find doctors and medics in such a situation.

: It would still be a tough call.
: Les DeGroff

If any kind of physical rebuilding is required, I think that a copy of
the Standard Handbook for Civil Engineers might be a good idea. That is
if there's someone with the math/science background to use it.
--
Mike S. Medintz
currently a student, future DUI on the Information Superhighway
If KU doesn't give me a raise, then they bloody well can't have my opinions!

---

From: [email-masked] (Prince of Insufficient Light)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 05:01:41 GMT

Bill Seward ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Sounds like a killer idea.
	Sure got me thinking, especially the size issues...

: 1. The Millwrighs and Mechanics Handbook.  It was published in Canada 
	I would suggest "The Way Things Work" volumes I & II,
published by Simon & Schuster.  A little bit on everything technical,
basic stuff in Vol I and advanced in Vol II.  It is a part of the
research library at the info service where I work at RPI, and would
probably be the first book I grabbed if I really had to go.  It's easy
enough to read and understand, I read it for entertainment and info
during off times, it still teaches me alot about machines I didn't
know.  This is in stark contrast to the CRC and Merck, which I don't
get along with at all.  ALso played a large role in "Lucifer's
Hammer", where I got the idea to look for it.

Others will come as I think about them, I need to give up my terminal
now... good thread though, and I'm working my way through the Book
List too.

--
   Scot Johnson                       RPI Paintball Club  TIP#175
   [email-masked]                    Current Heck Temperature: 273.4K
      "I'm here to kick ass and chew gum, and I'm all out of gum."
                    Don't Tread on Me