Subject: Re: Water Storage - Liter bottles?

From: [email-masked] (John T. Zoltai)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 95 05:43:20 GMT

In Article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (TC Lai) wrote:
>I hit upon the idea of using 2-liter soda bottles for water storage.
...

>Anybody with storage advice?

I've tried that route. It's a genuine pain in the tuckus. You wind up
carting a zillion bottles back and forth. There's a better way: You can get
large polyethylene barrels that are DOT spec for foods (including water),
with liquid tight seals. Light tight, too. A supplier by the name of
National Bag (800-247-6000) carries them, among others. Look for "open head
drum" in sizes from 8 gal to 55 gal, last catalog priced the 55 gal drum at
$76.40.

The trick is keeping the water fresh. Hooking the drum(s) up to your water
supply, like at the hot water tank, is one approach, but that implies
building a system designed to be constantly pressurized. A simpler approach
is to use the drum for gardening water, or hydroponics water, whatever. This
forces you to keep adding new water to the supply, thereby keeping it fresh.
Depends on how much work you're willing to go through to set up the water
storage system in the first place.

Of course, if you're storing water in a bunker or other bug-out location,
then you may want to add iodine as mentioned in this forum for long term
storage. The drums are light tight, though, so there won't be much growth
going on inside. Don't try to store a year's worth of water; make sure you
have a stable source of water available, then have a good set of water
filters on hand, enough to filter one to five years worth of water.

- John T. Zoltai - Consulting in business information systems.

  "Who was arrested in the 'gold' wave [of 1929]? All those who, at one
   time or another, fifteen years before, had a private 'business,' had
   been involved in retail trade, had earned wages at a craft, and
   _could_have_, according to the GPU's deductions, hoarded gold."
                       -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: The Gulag Archipelago.

---

From: [email-masked] (Keith W. Sheffield)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 15:01:56 GMT

>>>>> "John" == John T Zoltai <[email-masked]> writes:

> drum" in sizes from 8 gal to 55 gal, last catalog priced the 55 gal drum at

Emergency Essentials in Utah (800-999-1863) has food grade 25-55 gal drums.
The 55 gal drum is about $56.  They carry lots of other stuff too.  Ranging
from 72-hr kits, camping supplies, books, water filters, dehydrated food,
MREs, etc.

>   "Who was arrested in the 'gold' wave [of 1929]? All those who, at one time
> or another, fifteen years before, had a private 'business,' had been
> involved in retail trade, had earned wages at a craft, and _could_have_,
> according to the GPU's deductions, hoarded gold."  -- Aleksandr
> Solzhenitsyn: The Gulag Archipelago.

-- 
________________________________________________________________________________
                
Keith W. Sheffield   Programmer, Software Development     Hughes STX Corporation
EROS Data Center     Mundt Federal Building               Sioux Falls, SD  57198
att: 605-594-6838    email:[email-masked]   fax: 605-594-6589

Opinions expressed are the author's and do not necessarily represent official
policy of the NMD, USGS, DOI, or Federal Government.
________________________________________________________________________________
Geek Code v2.1
GCS d(--) H-- s:++ g+ p1+ au a- w-- v C++++ UI++$ P+ L+>+++ N++ E+>++ W--- V--
po+++ Y+ t+ 5 j R- G? tv++ b+ D+(++) B e++ u+ h---- f- r+++ n--- y++++