Subject: Survival Kit - survival.txt [1/1]

From: [email-masked] (Tom Martin)
Date: 16 Apr 1995 02:54:39 +0100

Survival planning is nothing more than realizing that
something could happen that would put you in a survival
situation and, with that realization, taking steps to increase
your chances of survival.  In other words, survival planning
is being prepared.
        Being prepared means you have survival items with
you, and know how to use them.  For instance, people who
live in snow regions prepare their vehicles for poor road
conditions.  They put snow tires on their vehicles; they add
extra weight in the back for traction; and they carry a
shovel, salt, and a blanket.  They realize they could get
stuck in snow, and they are prepared.  Another example of
being prepared is finding the exits on an aircraft when you
board it for a flight.  You realize that something could
happen requiring you to get out of the plane quickly, and
you prepare for it.  You note where the exits are located -to
your front or back, to left or right, the number of rows
away from you.
        Until you face a survival situation, you can only
"think" rather than "know" you have that will to survive.  But
you can train, practice, and prepare to meet any survival
challenge.
        Just as important as the preparations and plans
mentioned before, is preparing and carrying a survival kit.
Regardless of your envirnment, you will note that each kit
has:

*       Water or a means to obtain/store water (desalter kit,
        water storage bag.)
*       Food packets and items you can use to obtain food
        (fishing tackle, snare wire.)
*       Trioxane fuel.
*       Wooden matches and waterproof matchbox.
*       Pocketknife.
*       Plastic spoon.
*       Compass.
*       Signal mirror and plastic whistle.
*       First aid kit.
*       Items to protect oneself against environmental elements
        (sunburn-preventive preparation, insect headnet, and
        reversible sun hat for hot climate kits; poncho, sleeping
        bag, shovel, and candles for cold climate kits), and a
        survival manual.
   Even the smallest survival kit if propared is
   invaluable when you are faced with a survival problem.
______________________________________________________________

Selection of Survival Kit Items
        The key to the types of items you will need is your
survival kit is the environment.  In preparing your survival
kit, select the items you can use for more than one thing.  If
you have two items that will serve the same function, pick
the one that you can use for another function.  Do not
duplicate items as this will increase the size and weight of
your kit.
        Your survival kit need not be elaborate.  You need
only functional items that will meet your needs and a case
to hold the items.  For the case you might use a band-aid
case, a first aid case, and ammo pouch, or other suitable
case, but it should be:
*       Water repellent.
*       Easy to carry
*       Durable, and:
*       Large enough to hold the items you need.

In your survival kit you should have -

*       First aid items.
*       Signaling items.
*       Water and/or means to obtain portable water.
*       Fire-starting items.
*       Food and/or items to help you obtain food.
*       Shelter items.
*       Include a weapon if the situation so dictates.
* Be able to leave your home with this kit in case of an
  emegency!

___________________________________________________________
Fellow patriots feel free to add any thing I might have left
out!

MAY GOD BE WITH ALL OF US, THE TIME IS COMING SOON!