Subject: Water-An Essential by Duncan Long

From: [email-masked] (George Guillory)
Date: 18 Oct 1994 18:42:01 GMT

Copyright (C) Duncan Long 1994. All rights reserved.

WATER--An Essential
     You can't live for more than a few days without water.  And
drinking contaminated water can make you very sick--and perhaps
even kill you.  Water is essential if you're to survive any type of
emergency.
     Unfortunately, water is also one of the first things to go in
a disaster.  Floods, earthquakes, wars, or other catastrophes
usually knock out utilities--and the water supply.
     How much water?  Drinking water needs are fairly easy to
figure.  A person needs at least a gallon of water per day (a
person can get by with 2 quarts per day if it isn't hot, if the
person doesn't need to work, and if no water is needed for cooking
or cleaning--big ifs).  If you want to live in any style and bath,
cook, or flush your stools, then you'll need considerably more. 
But you can get by with 2 to 4 quarts of water per day per person
in your family.
     There are a lot of ways to store for emergency use. 
Containers should be kept where you can get to it.  If you're not
worried about earthquakes or other damage that might crack your
swimming pool, then it can be the source of water for many of your
needs--including drinking if you process the water to make it safe. 
(We'll look at how to sterilize the water in a bit.) 
     If you drink soda pop or many other products that come in
plastic containers, carefully rinse the empty containers out and
use them to store water.  Two liter pop bottles are probably the
best since the containers are tough and easy to move and handle. 
Plastic milk containers work only for a very short time; they tend
to split easily even when new and over time the plastic
deteriorates so that they have to be replaced.  Best advice is to
avoid plastic milk containers for water storage.
     Large 2- and 5-gallon plastic containers are used to store dry
wall mud as well as many foods used by restaurants, donut shops,
dairy queens, and fast food stores.  Therefore, a few phone calls
will often help you locate sources of plastic containers which are
free for the asking or which can be purchased for a nominal price. 
A little careful cleaning of these and they will be suitable for
water (or food) storage.  (Large plastic containers are also
available from Survival Stores but these often carry premium
prices.)  
     Avoid containers which were not designed for food or water
storage or which have been used to store toxic materials like
gasoline, paint, solvents, etc.  The first group may look all right
for water storage but may, in fact, have chemicals in them which
will contaminate the water over time.  The second group can have
chemical residues embedded in the plastic which will leach out over
time.  Either can poison your water and--in time--make you sick.
     Don't use trash bag systems or trash cans for water storage. 
Many of the plastics used in these have been treated with chemicals
that repel bugs.  And some of the "non-food" containers employ
plastics that contain chemicals that will leach out into the water
and eventually make you sick if you drink enough of it.  You can
use various barrels, plastic trash cans, etc., to store water for
non-drinking use BUT it's easy to get water sources mixed up in an
emergency.  It's a better plan to use garbage cans and bags for
garbage only and store water in containers that won't contaminate
it.
     When working with any container that's this larger than 2
gallons, first place it where you want it and then fill it with
water; the containers get VERY heavy when full of water.  Don't
stack large containers if you can avoid it.  If they come loose,
they can severely injure or even kill a child or anyone else
unfortunate enough to wind up under the container.
     Glass containers keep water well in long-term storage but can
be quite dangerous because they break easily.  This means they're
more apt to break if the water freezes and would be quite
dangerous. Metal containers should be approached cautiously since
many will rust out; water can also take on some odd tastes in metal
containers.
     Care must be taken with any water container to be sure it
isn't allowed to freeze.  Ice can rupture many of these potential
water containers.
     Flexible plastic tubing is very useful in connecting water
containers or for draining water from large containers without
dropping junk into the water.  A wide range of hand pumps and
tubing is available and usually a trip to your local hardware store
will enable you to buy a plastic syphon pump that will be perfect
for transferring water from large containers. 
     If you don't have a hand pump, it's also possible to remove
water from containers by simply siphoning it out "the old fashioned
way."  All you need is a small length of plastic or rubber hose. 
To siphon water, the source of the water must have a higher level
than the point at which the water is needed.  The hose itself must
be submerged in the water source but the water being "piped" may
travel above or below the level of either the source or the outlet
as long as the outlet is below the top level of the water source.  
     The flow of water has to be started by sucking on the end of
the hose (soda-straw style).  Once the water starts flowing,
gravity--and the vacuum created as the water leaves the
tube--should make the water continue to flow.  To stop the flow,
bend or pinch the tube shut and then raise the tubing above the
water level in the container. 
     Pre-moistened towelettes or "diaper wipes" can save a lot of
water that might otherwise be used in cleaning chores in a
shelter.  These towelettes have chemicals on them to cut through
grime and grease.  Some of the best are designed to be used to
clean infants.  The towelettes are available in most grocery stores
around the baby food section; having some would be a real asset in
a survival situation where water is scarce.
     If you don't have much water to use for washing, you may have
trouble with mild skin infections since the unwashed skin becomes
ideal for the growth of bacteria and some types of fungus.  In such
a situation, have everyone in your group sit and sleep in their own
spot.  If everyone avoids contact with areas and utensils used by
others, their bodies will have a chance to become immune to the
bacteria causing their problems and new ones won't spread from one
person to another. 
     You can save a lot of water if you don't wash dishes and
utensils.  Instead, eat out of food containers and have everyone
"lick clean" their personal utensils.  When each person uses the
same utensils for the next meal there will be little danger of
spreading diseases.  Use plastic eating utensils, paper plates,
paper cups, and paper napkins for especially messy foods and then
throw these away rather than washing them.
     The other big consideration with water is making it safe to
drink.
     If water has been stored for even a few days it may not be
safe to drink.  Most water supplies depend on chemical treatment to
keep the numbers of bacteria in them at safe limits.  The water
isn't sterile; it just doesn't have enough living bacteria in it to
overwhelm your body's defenses.
     When the water sits for a few days, the chemicals will "wear
out" as they continue to kill the bacteria multiplying in the
water.  When the point is reached where the chemicals are used up
and can't kill bacteria any longer, the germs will be able to
multiply to potentially dangerous levels.  To keep from "poisoning"
yourself, you must sterilize the water after it has been stored for
any time at all.  
     Boiling the water--at a full boil--for 15 minutes is probably
the best way to kill the germs.  You don't JUST boil the water. 
You have to boil it for 15 minutes.  That's 15 minutes after it
starts to boil; simmering does not count.  Water must be kept at a
complete boil or you risk drinking something that will make you
very sick.
     Boiling water is not too practical in many survival
situations.   So you should be prepared to use chemicals to kill
the bacteria in your water.  In addition to water purification
tablets, two useful chemicals for sterilizing water are two percent
tincture of iodine and sodium hypochlorite--the active ingredient
found in most household bleach.  With two percent tincture of
iodine, use 5 drops per quart of water; with 5.25% sodium
hypochlorite solution--bleach--use 2 or 3 drops.  Double the
amounts if the water is cloudy or smells bad.  The killing of the
bacteria is not instantaneous; be sure to let the water stand for
a half hour before drinking it.  Of the two chemicals, iodine is
the most effective in killing bacteria; it also tastes worse.  
     Iodine crystals can be used but aren't too practical.  Too,
the chemical is easily mixed up in the wrong proportions.  And when
the crystals are being mixed with water they give off poisonous
fumes; this does little to promote your good health.  You're better
off with one of the other chemicals.  
     Nevertheless, if you are stuck with iodine crystals, here's
how to use them:  Use a measuring device of some type to measure
out 4 to 8 grams of the iodine crystals.  Place these into one
ounce of water and stir for three minutes.  After stirring, allow
the crystals that do not dissolve to sink to the bottom and use 7
milliliters of the liquid from the top of the clear solution you've
created to treat each quart of your water.  Do NOT allow any
undissolved crystals to get into the water you're drinking;
ingesting a crystal will make you violently ill.
     Replace your water purification stocks of either hypochlorite
or iodine every few years since they'll lose their potency over
time.  If you're using old chemicals, increase the dosage to make
up for the loss of potency.  Also, remember that these chemicals
are poisonous; don't let your children have access to them and
don't use too much of any of the chemicals.
     There are two types of purification tablets:   tetraglycine
hydroperiodide (an iodine compound) and halazone tablets (a
chlorine compound).  The tetraglycine hydroperiodide is much, much
better to use than the halazone tablets; some viruses and amoebic
cysts are NOT killed by the halazone.  The iodine compound is sold
under a number of trade names:  Potable Aqua, Globaline, and
Coghlan's among others.
     Shelf life for tetraglycine hydroperiodide tablets is up to
four years IF they are kept sealed, not exposed to bright light,
and kept cool.  Halazone tablets will remain useful for 2 years if
kept cool and sealed airtight.  Avoid military surplus purification
tablets since the tablets, over time, tend to lose their ability to
kill organisms which might be in the water.
     To use purification tablets, follow the directions on the
container.  (If directions aren't available, for MOST tablets the
following will work:  use 2 Halazone tablets per 2 quarts of clear
water.  Chlorine tablets should be used 5 per quart and Potable
Aqua tablets 1 per quart.  Double the number of tablets for hazy or
foul-smelling water.  Wait for 30 minutes after the tablet has
dissolved before using the water.)
     If you have access to water outdoors or even city water that
appears to be contaminated, you may wish to filter some of the
"garbage" floating in the water before using purification tablets
in it.  Yes, in theory tablets might overcome everything floating
in the water, but looking into a glass and seeing a mosquito larva
corpse or dead tadpole doesn't do a lot to help you enjoy a meal.
     In such a case, a filter should be used to make the water safe
to drink. (See "Expedient Water Filters for information about 
making filters.) 
     Because of the terrible taste that water may take on after
being stored and sterilized, you would also be wise to keep large
stores of instant tea, Kool-aid, etc., to cover up the bad taste of
the water.
     It's wise to be aware of natural water sources around your
home so that, if a disaster strikes, you can go out and obtain
water.  It would seem probable that many areas would not have
running water for some time following "the big one" that is slated
to strike the West Coast some time in the near future.  If you
can't supply your own water, you'll be in big trouble.
     Water from springs, wells, creeks, or anywhere else should be
filtered to removed fallout contaminated and sterilized using the
methods outlined above. 
     Having an emergency supply of water in your home could save a
lot of drudgery.  With the average person using tens or ever
hundreds of gallons of water a day during normal activities, you'll
have to plan on either greatly lowering your water needs following
a nuclear war or have a source of water very close by.
     While a few lucky souls have a near-by spring or creek from
which water can be diverted into their living area, most don't have
that luxury.  But, in many areas, a water well can be a viable
solution to the problem.  (For information about creating a well,
see WATER WELLS.) 
     Don't under estimate your water needs.  Without water, you
can't survive for long.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The author of this article, Duncan Long, is well-known as the
writer of many gun, self-sufficiency, and survival books.  

Please help us continue to deliver more articles like this one
to you and others interested in survival and self-sufficiency. 
You can assist us by sending a donation of US$4 (or whatever you
feel is appropriate) to GL Publishing, Offer I-02, P.O. Box
891329-286, Houston, TX 77289-1329.