Subject: Re: Water

From: [email-masked] (George Guillory)
Date: 17 Sep 1994 19:10:07 GMT

Jason and Heather ([email-masked]) wrote:
: i live in a desert, so the subject of water is of some importance.

: if there were a major loss of (electrical) power, what's the best
: way to obtain drinkable water? is there an easy way to make
: sure that reserves are available? long term situations would be
: even more difficult, but they're also more rare.

One of my favorite methods that assumes that you are at home or
semi-perm. campsite.

Take your least favorite pressure canner, a short piece of new
appropriately sized gasoline hose (about 3"), a box of new appropriate
size copper tubeing, and two hose clamps.

Remove "rocker" weight from the top of the lid and save. This mod is
reversable.
Place rubber hose on stub on lid,
Put hose clamp on
Slip other hose clamp on tube but do not tighten,
Straighten about 1' of copper tube from roll
Put copper tube in rubber hose and tighten second clamp
"Expand" roll of tube but do not straighten
Fill bottom of pressure cooker with suspect water and let 'er rip
Water is vaporized and travels down the tube in to the copper
tube where it cools. Catch water in pot or jar at end of tube.

The best part is that you can store everything in the pressure
canner, put it on the shelf and it will stay there.  THis would
probably also work on brackish water.  Do not boil the pot
dry if the water is dirty and has things floating in it.  It will
be the dickens to clean it out to reuse the cooker. Strain water
through a cloth first.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
George Guillory, KC5HBT
[email-masked]
"To stand in silence when they should be protesting 
 makes cowards of men." Abraham Lincoln
----------------------------------------------------------------------