Subject: Re: So what do you do with the bacon grease?

From: "Thomas C. Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Aug 1995 17:44:06 GMT

[email-masked] (Thomas Rich Schwerdt) wrote:
>In article <[email-masked]>,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>Anyone have any suggestions (practical that is ;-) about what
>>to do with the bacon grease I don't pour down the drain?  My
>
>Fry bagels in it (spit 'em in half first) Bagels fried in bacon 
>grease are the absolute BEST!!
>
>-Tom the Melaniephile
>
Then after you've made your Bagels, accumulate the left over grease until 
you have about 5 lbs of it. Render it (boil it in water) until it's 
clean, then with a $1.50 can of lye you can make about 1 year's worth of  
homemade soap that is good for you, good for the environment, and will 
save you a bunch of money. Lard/lye soap works well in hard water, is 
biodegradable, takes the itch out of poison ivy, mosquito bites, and even 
gets the dirt off!