Subject: Book and Magazine Recommendations

From: Andrew Evans <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 1995 10:24:54 -0500 (EST)

In order to make it as easy as possible for people to find the books and 
magazines we recommend on the homepage (when special-ordering, or getting 
them through interlibrary loan, etc.), I've tried to include the following 
info:

Books:
* Author(s)
* Full Title
* Publisher
* Pub Date
* ISBN
* Brief description

Magazines:
* Title
* Publisher
* Subscription address/phone
* Subscription rate
* Publication frequency (monthly, bimonthly, quarterly, etc.)
* Brief description

If your recommendations have not yet appeared on the homepage, it's 
probably because I don't yet have this info.  Grabbing a copy of the 
recommended item and copying this info into a mail message would save me 
a great deal of sleuthing time :)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Andrew Evans                      | Compu$erve: 70711,745         |
|  Compass Point Software, Inc.      | Internet:   [email-masked]   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
|         Home Page: http://www.cais.com/aevans/homepage.html        |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: "Matthew W. Hamel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 1995 09:13:45 -0400 (EDT)

When we were discussing this issue a while back I remembered reading 
this.  The author lists his qualifications for technological innovation.

1.  The new tool should be cheaper than the one it replaces.

2.  It should be at least as small in scale as the one it replaces.

3.  It should do work that is clearly and demonstrably better than the one 
it replaces.

4.  It should use less energy than the one it replaces.

5.  If possible, it should use some form of solar energy, such as that of 
the body.

6.  It should be repairable by a person of ordinary intelligence, 
provided that he or she has the necessary tools.

7.  It should be purchasable and repairable as near to home as possible.

8.  It should come from a small privately owned shop or store that will 
take it back for maintenance and repair.

9.  It should not replace or disrupt anything good that already exists, 
and this includes family and community relationships.

Matt Hamel
[email-masked]

In the Chevy Chevette of the Information Superhighway