Subject: Habitat for Humanity

From: Andrew Evans <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 10:55:37 -0400 (EDT)

Hi y'all -

I'd like to register a ringing endorsement for Habitat for Humanity.  If 
you're not familiar with this excellent organization, they build homes 
for people in need. But rather than simply giving handouts, they require 
the prospective owners to put in hours during the construction, and they 
must still pay for any costs (through a special low-interest loan 
program).  Labor and many materials are donated.  Habitat has chapters 
all over the US and in some foreign countries as well.  They encourage 
people from the local community to get involved with nearby projects.

There are several reasons why I'm bringing them up here - first, I think 
this is an excellent model for a social program that doesn't require the 
government to run it, and is meaningful on a local level.  Second, it's a 
great way to meet some really nice people.  And third, if you're planning 
to build your own home some day (like I am) it's an excellent way to 
learn a variety of construction skills.  The projects are usually 
overseen by professional contractors, and it's a great opportunity to 
work with them in a low-pressure, friendly environment and really learn 
alot.  I just spent Saturday roofing a Habitat house in my neighborhood - 
before Saturday, I had no idea how to even begin roofing a house.  Now I 
know it's not so scary after all, and every time I walk past that house 
it's going to remind me that it's something I can do.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Andrew Evans                      | Compu$erve: 70711,745         |
|  Compass Point Software, Inc.      | Internet:   [email-masked]   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
|         Home Page: http://www.cais.com/aevans/homepage.html        |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+