Subject: Re: Self sufficient

From: [email-masked] (Karl Henning)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 95 19:21:58 EST

> 	I think we should redefine what we mean or at least expand the definition.
> What some call homesteading, I call self sufficient.  You can become much
> more self sufficient no matter where you live.   Buying more food in bulk
> will free you from some of those trips to the store.  Learning to cook from
> raw materials will give you more chance to start with wholesome foods.
> Learning to fix you own car can show you that it is not necessary to buy a
> new one every so often.
 
  I agree with Don,  in this society it's really hard to cut the chains that
  addict you to the easy way out.  I think it's breaking bad habits and mindsets.

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bowen)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 14:53:06 -0800

Homesteading as we seem to have defined it is one of those things I have
been watching for several years.  The idea of moving to the country and
fighting for our substance from the very soil under our feet has real
appeal.  Clean air, wholesome food and complete control of our destiny offer
an attractive alternative to the daily commute over crowded, polluted roads
and factory produced foods.  The reality though, is far from the ideal.
Kids want shoes, cars want fuel pumps, counties want tax payments.

  Donald E. Bowen           [email-masked]
  Valley Center CA.         [email-masked]

  Software Engineer, woodworker, historian, beekeeper, farmboy
  1936 Farmall 12          1966 Corvair CORSA 140 convertible
  1 wife, 3 kids, 2 acres, 2 cats, 2 dogs, ? projects,  24 hours