Subject: Re: Small Tractor for ploughi...

From: [email-masked] (Don Bowen)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 07:23:54 -0800

>There's brand out of Korea called Coyote or Kioti (pronounced that way at
>least, and uses a silhouette of a yodel dog for the logo). Tractor dealer
>next door says the quality is high, and price is better than Kobuto or Deere.
>Might also look at a small Zetor. Czech tractor, real nice.
>   Or look for a small used tractor, like a Farmall 140. I just got one from
>a neighbor, complete with tobacco cultivators. I'll be planting on 40" rows, b
>ut I sure won't be hoeing acres of garden....

        The problem I see with the off brand tractors is parts.  Where is
the dealer going to be in a few years when you need a fuel injection pump?
Small older US tractors have good parts availability.  THere are few if any
parts that you cannot get.

        The 140 is an excelent tractor.  It is near the end of the line of a
tractor introduced in 1939 as the Farmall A.  The A siblings were the B and
C.  THe A grew into the Super A, 140 and 240.  Production lasted until 1979.
A younger brother is the cub which was interduced sometime around 1950 and
was in production longer than the A.  Other small tractors you might
consider are the Allis Chalmbers B and the G.  John Deere made the LA and
the M.  Massey Harris sold the Pacer and POny before merging with Ferguson.
The Ford N series are good tractors though a bit over priced at times.  The
same with the Ferguson 20s and 30s.  There are many others.

        An advantage of the antique tractor besides ease of repair, is that
you can join antique tractor clubs and visit with people who have used them
when new.  You can go to tractor shows and meet people that have lived the
life we discuss back when that was normal rural life.  Another advantage is
that you can join with as nice a group of people as this one in the tractor
forum.  Send email to [email-masked] with
the word subscribe in the body.

  Donald E. Bowen           [email-masked]
  Valley Center CA.         [email-masked]

  Software Engineer, woodworker, historian, beekeeper, farmboy
  model railroader, 1936 Farmall 12, 1966 Corvair CORSA 140 convertible
  1 wife, 3 kids, 2 acres, 2 cats, 2 dogs, ? projects,  no TV, 24 hours

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bowen)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 07:23:54 -0800