Subject: Composting Toilets

From: Warwick Rowell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 09:37:20 WST

Bonnie

A agree the answer is to build your own. I have seen several 
built out of rammed earth and then the insides sealed with 
bondcrete. The angle of slope is critical for spread, and then
gravity feed down the slope at a slow speed. Some have a solid 
trap at the bottom, about 165cms high. One I saw just had a 
stainless bar, about 50mm deep, about 50mm off the bottom. 
Probably to stop the rollers!

I would like to hear from people about the actual year round 
effectiveness of the alternative to a fan, which is a solar
chimney. The vent pipe extends aout a metre above the roofline 
and is painted black. Black material absorbs heat, passes 
it on to the air inside, which rises, creates breeze heading 
in the right direction - down into the pan.    
--
 __________________________________________________________
|                [email-masked]                |
|      20 Onslow Rd Shenton Pk 6008 Western Australia      |
|   Management Consultant     Permaculture Designer        |
|_"Helping Managers Learn"___"Helping Land Managers Learn"_|