Subject: Re: Getting Together

From: Andrew Evans <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 18:02:12 -0500 (EST)

Sure, I think there's no reason not to leave it flexible - if there are 
folks who are willing to leave the invitation open, that's great.  I'm 
thinking, based on the suggestions so far, that I might start a list of 
host volunteers, and note their geographical location, preferences for 
scheduling a visit, and willingness to let us come help with the chores, 
etc.  So, I guess this is an official call for hosts - let me know where 
you are, what your scheduling terms are, and how you feel about some help 
for a day.
Also, I should note that Real Goods had a sparse distribution of hosts 
throughout the entire US, and some people were willing to travel sizable 
distances for the event.  I agree, however, that it would be awfully nice 
to be able to schedule a visit when in town.
Hosts, I think I'll get a county/state from you and a contact phone, 
rather than a full address.  That way, if you want to let people schedule 
more freely, they won't feel obliged to just show up on your doorstep ;) !
By the way, anyone in southern W. Va, the Asheville, NC area, or 
southwest Virginia willing to have a visitor on the homestead in April?

On Tue, 28 Feb 1995, Don Bowen wrote:

> >I've never gone to one - how much nicer it would be to visit the homesteads 
> >of "friends" we already know via Internet!
> 
>         One problem is that the community of the Internet is spread out over
> the entire country.  The subcommunity of the homestead list is very thin on
> the ground.  I live in San Diego County CA, most who responded live in OH,
> PA or some other east coast location.  Might it be better to extend some
> sort of open invitation or to at least indicate you would not mind having
> some give a call when in the area?
> 
> 
>   Donald E. Bowen           [email-masked]
>   Valley Center CA.         [email-masked]
> 
>   Software Engineer, woodworker, historian, beekeeper, farmboy
>   model railroader, 1936 Farmall 12, 1966 Corvair CORSA 140 convertible
>   1 wife, 3 kids, 2 acres, 2 cats, 2 dogs, ? projects,  24 hours
> 
> 

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Andrew Evans                      | Compu$erve: 70711,745         |
|  Compass Point Software, Inc.      | Internet:   [email-masked]   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
|         Home Page: http://www.cais.com/aevans/homepage.html        |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bowen)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 11:03:32 -0800

---

From: James Michael Kocher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 14:29:34 -0500 (EST)

This sounds like a good idea, but could be taken to the next step. 
People who are interested in visiting homesteads, myself included, would
probally learn more by taking part in the random list of chores that are
a daily part of life in these environments.  I am not opposed to work,
and find I generally learn better that way also.  Why not set up
work/visit days?

-Jim, living in Pittsburgh PA and dreaming of homesteading . . .