Subject: community gardens (was: Getting Together)

From: [email-masked] (Don Bowen)
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 1995 11:21:06 -0800

>True, but some survive.  The city of Cincinnati has at least a dozen of
>these gardens, designed, planted, and maintained by one paid coordinator,
>a bunch of volunteers, and the residents of the neighborhoods they are
>in.  It's a well-run organization (Civic Garden Center).  They do good
>things, put on gardening seminars, garden shows, hold plant & bulb
>sales to help fund themselves.  I think the greatest funding comes from
>the city, though.
>
>Barb

        Some do survive but some don't and pass on to other things.  One of
my favorite garden catalogs started as a community garden in San Jose CA.
The garden was taken away and converted into a parking lot.  The founders
bought land in Willits and started some research gardens and a mail order
catalog.  They are know as Bountiful Gardens.  There is also a garden shop
in Palo Alto that I have not seen.  They are located about a half mile from
my mother place and I hope to make a trip there this summer.

  Donald E. Bowen           [email-masked]
  Valley Center CA.         [email-masked]

  Software Engineer, woodworker, historian, beekeeper, farmboy
  model railroader, 1936 Farmall 12, 1966 Corvair CORSA 140 convertible
  1 wife, 3 kids, 2 acres, 2 cats, 2 dogs, ? projects,  24 hours