Subject: kudzu kreations

From: [email-masked] (Ed Ellesson)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 21:37:15 -0400

This is a follow-up for the folks here in the group who sent
personal messages about my having cooked and eaten kudzu recently.
I was told that some uses for the godawful stuff would be valuable
so here goes:

To eat kudzu -- shoots, small leaves, large leaves cut up can all
                be braised or sauteed and eaten like fiddlehead
                fern shoots or any other type of greens.

                roots are best in the fall and winter months
                when the the plant's nutrients are retreating
                there and leaves have died back

In the garden - I use kudzu vines instead of commercial plastic
                rose ties to tie up climbing roses, as they last
                longer, look much more natural (not that fake green)
                and are longer.  Best of all, they're free.

              - Kudzu vines can also be used in place of string or
                netting for trellising peas, squash, etc., and for
                tying up tomatoes.

Around home --- Kudzu vines can be used on a pinch in any situation
                where you need strong twine or a rope and don't have
                it handy.  I've used them for tying down tarps; making
                an emergency leash when one of my dogs got out and I
                was nowhere near the house when he cruised by; and
                bundling several boards together to move them to a
                project site.

For crafters -- Think of kudzu vines as a replacement for grape vines
                and soon you won't have to hit the craft store for
                pre-twisted wreaths and sprays to decorate.

For peace and - If your neighborhood has one of those kids who spends
quiet           every waking hour on an all-terrain cycle, with no
                indication that consideration for others, the hour of
                the day it is, or parental supervision are part of
                the picture, invite your young friend to explore your
                kudzu patch on the ATC.  No wheeled mechanism I am
                aware of ever quite gets over its first encounter with
                the Big K, and soon you will actually be able to HEAR
                the birds, crickets and pines whispering in the breeze.

If anyone has any others, please contribute.   I'm determined to make
the best of a bad situation with this stuff, until we all find so many
uses for it, we use it all up and it becomes scarce.

Sherry, and of course                
                                         
Ed Ellesson
Horsefeathers Farm Wildlife Center
Apex, NC, USA

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bowen)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 20:58:47 -0700

Kudzu is a perfect example of how not to mess with natural systems
of little is known.  This vine which is taking over much of the south was
introduced as a cheap cattle and mule food.  No natural preditors or dieses
means that it grows unchecked.  Is it still spreading north and how far has
it gone?

    Don Bowen                          [email-masked]
    Valley Center, CA                  [email-masked]

    Software engineer, woodworker, farm boy, beekeeper
    1936 Farmall 12       1966 Corvair Corsa 140 Convertible
    1 wife, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 acres, no TV, 24 hrs