Subject: Re: Solor hot water heating

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Owens)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 08:46:17 -0500

Donald E. Bowen wrote:
> After that last long winded bs loaded post from me I thought I
> should get back to what I joined this list for.  The great money pit of the
> IRS has decided to let me have a bit back this year so I decided to spend it
> on something that will be useful.  I am looking into solar hot water heating.

Here in Oregon (rain & clouds) we find that solar can provide most
of our hot water.  We have to use solar collectors that do not
freeze and that adds to the cost.  If your area of California does
not freeze, then I would think solar would be the way to go.
The backup heat system would not be needed, no freeze protection,
and lots of sun, Wow!

The Solar Living Source Book by Real Goods (1-800-762-7325) is a
half catalog and half text.  It lists two of the best systems
and they are a little expensive. The Sun Family is $1050 and
the Copper cricket is $2180.  This does not include the installation
and piping, etc.  In your area the local installers may be
able to beat these prices.  Oregon gives tax credits for
solar hot water, doesn't California have something also?

If you want to know more about the Copper Cricket then let me
know.  We have one that is 3-4 years old and hopefully it will
last our lifetime.  I think it paid for itself this year, so
our hot water is now free.

Jeff (vote with your lifestyle)

---

From: Christopher Friedenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 10:54:05 -0500 (EST)

> on something that will be useful.  I am looking into solar hot water heating.

Don,
  I don't know how much money you have to spend, but--

the basic principles behind a "batch" type solar heater seem very
simple, virtually no moving parts, and since you live in So. Cal.
freezing is not much of an issue.

You should be able to build your own for less than $500.

I recall seeing a design from Steve Baer's Zomeworks a few months
ago that looked pretty nifty.

Plus you can repair it yourself, and tinker as you like.

As ever,
Christopher