Subject: Luddites again

From: Andrew Evans <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 15:46:10 -0500 (EST)

Sorry to use still more bandwidth on this subject, but another point 
dawned on me.  It's great for folks like the _Plain_ editors to sit there 
on their homesteads in Ohio and tell us how evil the technology is in our 
lives.  Tell me soemthing I don't know.  What they perhaps fail to see is 
that some of us are ensnared in our lifestyles, and to get out as quickly 
as possible and get on with homesteading, we need to turn the technology 
on itself.  Without the contacts I've made on the Internet, it might have 
taken me years to figure out how to approach the task of exiting the 
rat-race.  There's so much technology tangled up in my life (cars, credit 
cards, computers, phones, etc.) that are needed for life-support in this 
lifestyle that I can't just drop them all one day and walk away.  I'd 
wind up in debtor's prison.  Instead, I'm using those same imprisoning 
technologies to break out - I need the car to travel around to find my 
homestead plot, the Internet lets me share ideas with kindred spirits 
like you all, etc.).  Without those things, I might be stuck here in 
suburbia forever.  Once I get bootstrapped, then I can consider stripping 
these things out of my life (and I forsee that I will). 

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Andrew Evans                      | Compu$erve: 70711,745         |
|  Compass Point Software, Inc.      | Internet:   [email-masked]   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
|         Home Page: http://www.cais.com/aevans/homepage.html        |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+