Subject: Re: Introduction

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Sarr)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 95 19:26:44 PST

-snip-

Howdy homesteaders,

I would also like to add my thanks to Andrew Evans for getting the group
going. I'm a soon to be freed graduate student a UC Santa Barbara (M.A.
ECOLOGY). It's great to hear people addressing some of the grassroots
questions of living sustainably.  I've tried to incite discussion about our
rightful place in the natural system, but haven't been able to get these
physicists in drag we call modern biological ecologists to even touch the
issue. Cheers to you all!

       Regarding the question of food shortages (Clint Kraft, Mike Mayer,
et al.), I can't pass up the chance to bolster Reverend Malthus'
conclusion. Overpopulation is THE problem. No excuses here for many of the
horrifically shortsided policies we & other powerfull countries employ
(damn us..), but the sheer weight of the humanity we are adding to the
planet each year is an unavoidable & gruesome fact.  We homesteader types
cannot delude ourselves into believing that a timely retreat to the land
without actively working to address the rate of human expansion will spare
us the issue for more than a few years. Clint's observation that Mexican
growth rates are showing up in our censuses should underscore that. Our
challenge is to develop skills and insight for a new landbased culture and
work to address some of the ongoing processes so our children (optional)
can be around to live it. Political scapegoating just isn't where its at..
Alarmist? Hell yes!! But I think you all are up to it.   Keep on... Dan

***************************************************************
* Daniel Sarr            E-Mail   [email-masked]  *
* Department of Biology        Office Phone    (805) 893-4508 *
* University of California     Lab Phone       (805) 893-4508 *
* Santa Barbara, CA  93106     FAX             (805) 893-4724 *
***************************************************************