Subject: Re: Food Systems(Meat)

From: Andrew Evans <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 19:20:19 -0500 (EST)

Well, like I said before, most homesteaders currently make use of animals 
around the place, and that works fine.  My point was that it also works 
fine to *not* have animals around the place.  Even with spent soil, and 
no chemical fertilizers.  I direct your attention to the 60+ years of 
animal-free, organic subsistance farming done by Helen and Scott Nearing, 
in poor, rocky New England soils - they bought "spent" farmland that made 
their neighbors snicker, until they saw the yields the Nearings were 
getting.  The trick was to get serious about composting and bed 
rotation.  Granted, it took alot of work, but it does no matter 
which way you do it.  Sure saves on vet bills, winter feed, etc. though.
To anyone who still thinks you *have* to have animals, I highly recommend 
picking up the Nearing's books.  And to those of you who think you'll get 
too thin eating vegetarian, you haven't spent a couple of years on my 
wife's cooking ;)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Andrew Evans                      | Compu$erve: 70711,745         |
|  Compass Point Software, Inc.      | Internet:   [email-masked]   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
|         Home Page: http://www.cais.com/aevans/homepage.html        |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+