Subject: Re: Self sufficient

From: [email-masked] (Don Bowen)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 09:27:24 -0800

>   Do you have the name and publisher of that magazine????
>
>   I do not HATE technology, but I understand that most of it is sinking us
>down further, rather than rising us above.  Think of everything that must be
>done to keep you net connection.
>   I am fairly new to this thinking.  I have been a hardcore computer geek
>for some time, and now I am working away from it....it is hard though.

        Dumping technology just because it is technology is just as bad as
grabing it just because it is.  THe farmer of 300 years ago was traped in
his circle of weather, pests, and limited markets because of limited access
to knowledge. Rapid spread of knowledge through the technology of the
telephone has made life better.  The internet does an even better job of
spreading knowledge because it is not just the collected knowledge of your
family and neighbors but the collected knowledge of everyone connected.
Mail lists such as this allow us to share knowledge and skills.  It may not
all be correct but it at least does allow us to learn and decide what is
more correct for our own situation.

        What is fun is to look at the discussion of early telephone and
television.  THe television was going to bring culture to the homes of the
most remote viewer.  It was going to spread political debate to the far
reaches of the country.  Little did they realize that we would get "The
Simpsons" and paid political sales campaigns instead.

  Donald E. Bowen           [email-masked]
  Valley Center CA.         [email-masked]

  Software Engineer, woodworker, historian, beekeeper, farmboy
  model railroader, 1936 Farmall 12, 1966 Corvair CORSA 140 convertible
  1 wife, 3 kids, 2 acres, 2 cats, 2 dogs, ? projects,  24 hours

---

From: Willie Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 17:14:44 -0600 (CST)

> television.

This reminds me of some accounts I've read of the criticism of automobiles
when they first came out. Folks said, "Well what good are they? You can't 
plow with em, you can't cross a creek with em..."