Subject: An information source

From: [email-masked] (Don Bowen)
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 1995 21:28:18 -0800

These discussions about the meanimg of homesteading and its need in
the future are very interesting and I hope we continue them.  Meanwhile this
list should also provide other more immediate information.  I have a lot of
knowledge from my own library and life experience.  If any have questions on
the following topics, I will be more than glad to pass along what
information and experience I have.

Farming and history:  I grew up on a Missouri dirt farm in the 50s and 60s.
I like to tell people I grew up in the 30s because that is how rural life
was then.  We did not have electricty for a long time.  ( this is where I
have problems with some of the budget cutting in Washington.  REA is what
brought electricity to us.)  We cooked with wood for a summer and used an
out house for many years.  I never used a telephone until the last 2 months
of my senior year in high school. My first 4 years of school were in a one
room school house.

        From this I have a deep interest in the history of agriculture and
rural america.  I have several reference books about antique tractors and
implements and I always willing to talk about antique tractors.

Beekeeping:     In spokane I had several hives and made a bit of money from
them.  Sometime this spring I will be getting restarted.  Again i have
several references and can answere questions.

Woodworking:    I have a complete woodworking shop but little time to build
much.  I am afraid that I am one of those that seems to talk more than do.
Whatevr block of time I can set aside gets filled by other things.  I do
have a very small collection of antique tool and I am trying to move toward
more hand work.

Gardening:      I do have a library and some experience but as I read this
mail list I see that others have more.  I am still willing to answere what I
can.

Mechanics:      I did work for a time as an auto mechanic and in a front end
shop.  The only problem is that that was before the modern computer
controlled cars.  I do know how to fix the old ones and I have every
reference I can find on Corvairs.

I addition I have experience with carpentry, blacksmithing, metal work.
    Don Bowen                          [email-masked]
    Valley Center, CA                  [email-masked]

    Software engineer, woodworker, farm boy, beekeeper
    1936 Farmall 12       1966 Corvair Corsa 140 Convertible
    1 wife, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 acres, no TV, 24 hrs

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Owens)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 16:36:52 -0500

Here are some books that we use fairly often.  If the
book is already on the list, then this is just a vote
for the books usefulness.

The Owner-Build Homestead
Ken Kern
Owner Builder Publications, 1975

The Farmer's Dog
John Holmes
Popular Dogs Publishing, 1984

The Four-Season Harvest
Eliot Coleman
R. R. Donneley & Sons, 1992

The Bread machine Cookbook IV
(Whole grains & natural sugars)
Donna German
Bristol Publishing, 1992

How to Survive Without a Salary
Charles Long
Horizon Publishing, 1981

The Handbook for Fruit Explorers
Ram Fishman
North American Fruit Explorers, 1986

NAFEX is an organization of people who experiment with fruit
trees.  It has a periodic newsletter which is consists
of articles and letter submitted by members.  I recommend
it for anyone interested in fruit trees.  The handbook
above is part of the membership fees.  I don't have the
current address, if anyone wants it I will post it when
the next newsletter arrives.

I read somewhere that Eliot Coleman bought land from the
Nearings and somewhat follows in their foot steps.  His
book seems to be practical data from someone who is serious
about food production.

Ken Kern's book is a little out of date, but fun reading.
It has the feel of someone who has had hands on experience.

Jeff (vote with your lifestyle)