Subject: RE-RE>Garden report

From: "Dan Settles" <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Apr 1995 09:19:58 -0400

Reply to:   RE-RE>Garden report

Hello Ellessons,
I would have sent you a personal message, but your e-mail address wasn't
attached.  I was just curious about the name "Horsefeathers Farm Wildlife
Center".  I'm not very familiar with Apex so I was wondering if this is a
private farm, or if this is some form of public wildlife center. 
Interesting name either way.  
Dan Settles
[email-masked]

--------------------------------------
Date: 4/12/95 10:55 PM
To: Dan Settles
From: [email-masked]
Sherry
Ed Ellesson
Horsefeathers Farm Wildlife Center
Apex, NC, USA

---

From: [email-masked] (Ed Ellesson)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 09:54:30 -0400

>[email-masked]
Dan - When we moved here from California, we noticed that many of the locals
named their "farms" regardless of how large or small. We went through lists
and lists of names, each more poetic than the last, but all seemed to take
themselves far too seriously.  In defference to our horses, and two large,
loud parrots, (and under the influence of a fair amount of ale) we settled
upon Horsefeathers Farm.  Two years later, when I (Sherry) got involved with
wildlife rehabilitation (taking in orphaned and injured wildlife for rehab
and eventual release back to the wild) we just expanded the name to reflect
my/our work with the animals.  

As to government connections:  I am licensed to do rehab work by both the
State of North Carolina and the Federal Government, but they do not contribute
in any way - financial or otherwise, and the only reporting I do is an annual
written report of the migratory birds I've treated (for the Fed.)  Ed is both
my financial support system and my partner in spirit for this work.  We live
on seven acres surrounded on three sides by forest in a very "horsey" commu-
nity, and planted a fruit orchard (if you can call eleven trees an orchard)
the first year we were here.

We also planted a huge veggie garden one year, having doubled the retaining
wall that goes around two sides of the stable to create a raised planter box.
The veggies all grew so well it would make Organic Gardening proud; but that
year, their research proved that treated wood leaches chemicals into the soil
so we had to pitch all the dried/preserved/frozen veggies and put off further
home food production until we can build another set of beds out of something
less toxic.

Sorry this got so long -- if you'd like to just chat more, I can be reached
at  [email-masked]

Sherry, and of course Mr. Ed

Ed Ellesson