Subject: Re: Wild Cats

From: Sal Schettino <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 10:23:19 -0800 (PST)

sure on my homepage I have plans to build barn owl houses.  they are the 
greatest.  Also I have big trees that even though they donot produce 
money they serve as roots for old red tail hawk and copper.  Have seen 
any eagles yet. ha. but your right keeping owls ans hawks happy is in 
keeping with good rodent control.  A barn owl eats a gopher or rat every 
night and a pair will eat 2 throw in 3 to 6 young and that about 5 or so 
mice each.  to bad people use poison to kill rodents because they also 
kill the thing that eat them and the rodents come back yet the birds are 
not as fast so what you are left with are rodents and no predators.. Da. 
not to smart.  a barn owl is one of the farmers best friends .

On 
Wed, 1 Mar 1995, Mike Morris wrote:

>  Sal Schettino <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > If someone comes up with a better organic 
> > way to get rid of rats and mice and gophers I may change my mind. > 
> 
> Are you in a position to encourage owls, hawks and/or eagles by 
> providing nesting sites, or anything like that?  (No experience of it 
> myself -- just a thought.)
> +------------------------------------------------------------------+
>    Mike Morris                  We do not inherit the earth         
>    Denel Informatics (Cape)     from our ancestors                  
>    [email-masked]                                          
>    ph: +27-21-788-4163          We borrow it from our children.      
> +------------------------------------------------------------------+
> 

Sal Schettino,Organic Farmer,don't panic eat organic,[email-masked]
or check out my homepage:            http://www.rain.org/~sals/my.html

---

From: "Mike Morris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 17:22:05 GMT+0200