Subject: Re: Homesteading and The Guvmint

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 20:38:11 -0500

I get the feeling that anytime anyone tries to get out of "the system"
certain parts of the Guvmint get all upset. There seems to be a move towards
more control of the population, as shown by such things as the Clipper chip,
and the current S314, which proposes to hold electroninc info providers such
as OAL and CSI responsible for the "decency" of the messages etc. on their
systems. Doesn't seem to be one party or the other (I suspect party
affiliation isn't much more than show on Capitol Hill, they're ALL Guvmint).
Maybe it's 3rd level bureaucrats that don't change from one administration to
the next. 
One of the reasons I'm out here in the back 40 is that as I get my own food
production and energy systems going, I'm less reliant on outside factors for
my day-to-day needs. And in being less reliant I'm less easily swayed. Yup,
this is rather paranoid thinking, and I'm not about to appologize for it. All
I can say is that if Society doesn't like what I'm doing homesteading, they
don't have to watch. Seems like we have far too many people who want to pass
laws because they don't like something. Like Dave Duffy of Backwoods Home
Magazine told a reader who complained about articles on guns and certain ads:
If you don't like the article, don't read it. If you don;t like the ad or
product, don't buy it.

---

From: Mike Mayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 08:30:28 -0600 (CST)

> Maybe it's 3rd level bureaucrats that don't change from one administration to

One of the factors to consider when looking to buy land is the local 
government climate. Do they leave people alone? Or do they try to enforce 
the letter of every building code?  Where I live now (Calumet County, WI) 
There are few zoning laws and I've been left alone. When I re-sided my 
house I kept expecting someone to show up and tell me to get a building 
permit, but no one ever did. The only problem is property taxes. They are 
fairly low, but the county has some areas that are getting densely 
populated, so they are expanding the courthouse, paid for through a 
property tax increase. Along with climate, soil, etc. I would definitely 
look at property tax rates, building codes, zoning and the probability of 
increasing property tax rates.

It's too bad that in too many places the government doesn't just leave 
people alone.
==============================================================================
 Mike Mayer                     (414) 751-3557           [email-masked]
 Technology Group, Inc. Neenah, WI               http://www.plexus.com/~mikem/