Subject: Re; Sources of Organic grain

From: Warwick Rowell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 18:42:01 WST

This has got to be a local thing - so find the nearest organic 
 farmers, or organic growers group, and tap into them. Or the 
 local Permaculture group. 
 
 Or find the nearest grain farmer, and tell him that you want to buy
 some organic grain - and then use this to start a CSA in your area..
 I bet you could make a good profit for you and the farmer by growing
 say 10 tons of organic wheat, storing it in a bin on the farm, and 
 on-selling it in say 10 and 25 Kg bags at local markets.
 
 We were happy to pay $30 (Australian) for 25 Kg of organic, wholemeal, 
 stone ground flour, whereas white pap can be got for 90c/Kg. Guess
 how much more profit the farmer made selling to us direct?? 
 
 He was probably netting about 80c/Kg more. Or about $800/tonne. 
 
 What is a farmer currently getting? 
 I'm not in the game, so my figures could be corrected, but I reckon 
 they are of the following order:
 
 In Australia, with no subsidies, but a poor harvest in the Eastern 
 States, farmers are grossing about $150/tonne, for a nett of about 
 $20/tonne, for FAQ wheat. So if he splits the $800, and spends $100
 on bags, marketing, etc, the nett to the farmer is still in the order
 of $300/tonne which is a damn sight better off than the traditional 
 sales mechanism which netts $20/tonne. 
     
 One of the most successful biodynamic farmers in Australia, Gavin Dunn, 
 has joined up with others in his district to buy and run a mill... 
--
 __________________________________________________________
|                [email-masked]                |
|                                                          |
|   Management Consultant     Permaculture Designer        |
|_"Helping Managers Learn"___"Helping Land Managers Learn"_|