Subject: How much land is enough?

From: Andrew Evans <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 11:48:35 -0500 (EST)

Hi y'all -

As you may know by now, I'm in the process of selecting land for 
homesteading, and I'm wrestling with trying to figure out how much land I 
really need.  I'll have a large organic garden (big enough to provide a 
large portion of the food for a vegetarian family of four) and I'll need 
a big enough woodlot to provide fuel for heating.  Anyone got any good 
rules of thumb for sizing a homestead plot?

Cheers,

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Andrew Evans                      | Compu$erve: 70711,745         |
|  Compass Point Software, Inc.      | Internet:   [email-masked]   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
|         Home Page: http://www.cais.com/aevans/homepage.html        |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 13:22:44 -0500 (EST)

The rule of thumb I've heard is that you can get a cord an acre a year from a
mature woodlot.  If you have an estimate of how many cords a wood you'll need
for heat, that'd be a good start.  Thiat'll obviously depend alot on climate,
insullation etc as previous folks have noted.

Bruce

---

From: "bonni brooks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 08:52:03 EST

I know most people have been recommending 5-10 acres, but I'd
recommend 10-15 if you can afford it, just to make sure you'll
be able to provide all your heating wood without incredibly
careful management.  (Careful management is always good.)

bonni

  IC | XC  |     bonni brooks "The Lone Quilter"          |  "We speak
  ---+---  |         [email-masked]                |   Byzantine
  NI | KA  | Kelly's Creek Homestead, Maidsville, WV  USA |   Catholic
           |   http://wvnvm.wvnet.edu/~u6ed4/bonni.html   |   here."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 18:25:02 -0500

Keep in mind, too, that such things as garden yields can be upped by
judicious use of locally adapted varieties. Check with organizations like
Seed Savers Exchange and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. You should be able
to find varieties that will do espscially well in that region. 

Larry