Subject: Re: Homesteading and The Guvmint

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 07:41:58 -0600 (CST)

.. Seems like we have far too many people who want to pass
> laws because they don't like something. Like Dave Duffy of Backwoods Home
> Magazine told a reader who complained about articles on guns and certain ads:
> If you don't like the article, don't read it. If you don;t like the ad or
> product, don't buy it.

Well put - I agree 100%!  We seem to have a problem in the US with people
passing laws to control the behavior of other people even when the offending
behavior has no direct impact on the law-writer.  The Libertarian Party has
some interesting theories on lessening government control over private
behavior.

---

From: "Matthew W. Hamel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 09:00:20 -0500 (EST)

But Libertarians automatically assume that ALL people will act in a 
socially responsible manner.  It should be obvious that there are many 
who could care less about policing their own actions.  What's ironic 
about all this is that even those who are in favor of less government 
(Conservatives) still want to influence our behavior through the passage 
of legislation.  I think it was Edward Abbey (everyone's favorite 
anarchist) who noted the guvmint interests are ALWAYS against those of 
the individual.  I don't know if I want to push it that far, but clearly 
good governing is in the eyes of the beholder, a sort of slippery, 
subjective beast that affects us all willy nilly, especially those of us 
who would rather keep it at arm's length.

My $.02,
Matt Hamel
[email-masked]

In the Chevy Chevette of the Information Superhighway

---

From: Mike Mayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 08:50:25 -0600 (CST)

> some interesting theories on lessening government control over private

Well, its worse than that - they are passing laws when the offending 
behavior has no direct impact on *anyone*!  
==============================================================================
 Mike Mayer                     (414) 751-3557           [email-masked]
 Technology Group, Inc. Neenah, WI               http://www.plexus.com/~mikem/

---

From: Sal Schettino <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 07:30:13 -0800 (PST)

The way is see it is there are people that have nothing to do all day but 
make up stuff and frame it and call it law.  The make up laws that can 
steal widows houses. they do it in Wash. for the state for the county and 
even for the city some even do it for a block or a appartment.  They get 
paid to sit in a room and make up stuff so thats what they do.  Ok here 
is a idea let us vote on it and call it law and go out and enforce it.  
There is so many people doing this with so many titles thats its no 
wonder there are so many regulations. Laws Laws Laws.  Now they want to 
regester 
benificial insects and other biologiclal controls and regester organic 
farmers .  Like farming organic and biological controls are dangerious or 
something.  ?Soon if  u farm 
organic or use a pests' natural enemies you will get a added tax just for 
not using chemicals and farming naturally. Daa They are sitting in their 
little rooms today makeing 
up stuff.  framing it and calling it LAW. For me who tries to follow both 
mans laws and Gods its getting harder and harder.  I wish they would slow 
down. I like grid lock. They talk about less regulations but I see more. 
They speak with fork tounges. The chief was right.  They say go natural 
then they tax you for doing it. ---< fork tounges sorry about spelling.
At least Gods laws make cents to me. 

> some interesting theories on lessening government control over private

Sal Schettino,Organic Farmer,don't panic eat organic,[email-masked]
or check out my homepage:            http://www.rain.org/~sals/my.html    .