Subject: A Few Words in Favor of Wendell Berry

From: "Matthew W. Hamel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 20:32:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all,

Although I didn't read the entire excerpt (there's something weird about 
reading his writings on my P.C.), but I think his focus is on small 
community-building enterprises, not necessarily small business.  In many 
other writings he focuses on family farm-related agricultural businesses 
that nurture (not exploit) the rural traditions that tie us all to the 
land.  If he tends to view Big Business as the bad guy, this doesn't 
re-order his argument into a polarization of big versus little.  I think 
he's just fed up with the American idea that people can only realize 
their full potential inside a corporation.

On a related note, one of the reasons I enjoy Berry's writing is he 
refuses to pledge allegiance to any current political scheme 
(conservative or liberal).  How refreshing to read the views of a man who 
can truly think for himself.

(Sorry.  If I gush it's because I just finished a novel of his.)
Matt Hamel
[email-masked]

In the Chevy Chevette of the Information Superhighway