Subject: RE-RE>Wild Cats

From: "Dan Settles" <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Mar 1995 11:41:58 -0500

Reply to:   RE-RE>Wild Cats

I have heard that the Jack Russel Terrier is a great rodent killer;
supposedly better than cats.  However, I don't know if they also go after
birds or if they are good at catching them.  Does anyone have any
experience using terriers or other dogs to control rats and mice?
Dan Settles

--------------------------------------
Date: 3/1/95 1:49 AM
To: Dan Settles
From: [email-masked]
> I grew up on a farm like this, but I have read quite a number of
articles 
> in recent years about the damage that cats do to songbird populations.  
> Apparently it's gotten so bad in Great Britain that they're in danger of

> losing entire species.  It sort of gave me a new perspective on my 
> father's lament about the disappearance of bluebirds and barn swallows 
> over the past thirty years.
> 
> There are other factors as well, namely destruction of habitat in North 
> and Central America, but as a cat person I wonder if I should put a bell

> on my cat when she leaves the barn...
> 
> Does anyone else consider this?
> 
You may be right but I have less rats and mice and still see lots of 
songbirds around here.  yeah they get a few .  guess I just hate rats and 
mice and poison and beleave me they were thick around here before the 
cats showed up.  If you leave a little brush around and maybe a hegerow 
or two I 
think the birds will be ok.  If someone comes up with a better organic 
way to get rid of rats and mice and gophers I may change my mind. > 

Sal Schettino,Organic Farmer,don't panic eat organic,[email-masked]
or check out my homepage:            http://www.rain.org/~sals/my.html