Subject: technology quote

From: [email-masked] (Don Bowen)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 11:05:48 -0800

This came by in an internet class session today.

"Technology...  the knack of so arranging the world that we need not
experience it."

-Max Frisch, "Homo Faber"

        This could be a defining point.  Use technology to get a better
understanding of the world, not to insulate yourself from it.

  Donald E. Bowen           [email-masked]
  Valley Center CA.         [email-masked]

  Software Engineer, woodworker, historian, beekeeper, farmboy
  model railroader, 1936 Farmall 12, 1966 Corvair CORSA 140 convertible
  1 wife, 3 kids, 2 acres, 2 cats, 2 dogs, ? projects,  24 hours

---

From: [email-masked] (Karl Henning)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 95 14:39:54 EST

> "Technology...  the knack of so arranging the world that we need not

     Very true, those lost experiences like hiking without a trail and sings
     only wits, and a compass are important.  We learn to use primal instincts
     to watch, and listen, in alot of different ways.
> understanding of the world, not to insulate yourself from it.

 Cool! I might agree as well, though I must say I've recently returned from 
 Oregon Coast and it's tech-no-logic that whacked OUR old growth forests.
 I now have a much deeper appreciation for the real forests that are left.
 It's even hard to think of using wood for fuel.  I am sure i'll go a different
 route when the time comes.  I think the days of massive wood heat are kinda over.
 There is just to much poor air to resort to old energies.  But! hey, I'll also
 agree with some previous post by someone who stated self-sufficiency
 in terms of "doing it alone" i.e emediate family is the hard way.  I have
 some people in Oregon who want to get together, and do it.  We'll do it as
 a small community.  And most likely *slowly* ween ourselves off the techno-
 addiction with time.  Ya just can't walk away from it.  IT'S AND ADDICTION,
 AND IT'S HOOKS ARE DEEP.  But i must confess it will be those few isolated 
 technologies that will get us off the power grid.    
 
 But i still would like a definition of a luddite.