Subject: Favorite authors

From: [email-masked] (Don Bowen)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 14:12:28 -0800

Many of the things we have been munching over the last few days are
covered by several books.  Two of my favorite are Gene Logdson and Wendell
Berry.  Both cover the issues of sustainability, community, rural life, etc.
I have LOgdsone "contrary Farmer" and it is one of the few books I plan to
read again.  I checked Berrey's latest book from the library and now I want
to buy my own copy.  The title is something along the lines os "sex,
community, ????"

        What books do any of you recomend along the same lines?  I love to
read and I noticed the pile beside the bed is now down to less than 2 feet
so it needs reloaded.

  Donald E. Bowen           [email-masked]
  Valley Center CA.         [email-masked]

  Software Engineer, woodworker, historian, beekeeper, farmboy
  model railroader, 1936 Farmall 12, 1966 Corvair CORSA 140 convertible
  1 wife, 3 kids, 2 acres, 2 cats, 2 dogs, ? projects,  no TV, 24 hours

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 21:48:50 -0500

Gary Paul Habhan wrote "Enduring Seeds" about the need to preserve native
crops and genetic diversity. 

CArolyn Jabs wrote "The Heirloom Gardener" about why heirlooms are important.

Aldo Leopold wrote "A Sand County Alamanac" a collection of essays about the
environment and ecologocial balance, long before this sort of thing became
trendy. 

Brad and Vena Angier wrote "We Like It Wild" about their adventures
homesteading in British Columbia in the 50's.

Peter Farb wrote "Man's Rise To Civilization" which looks at the various
social orders used by various New World peoples.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 00:40:48 -0500

Ruth Stout also wrote "How to have a green thumb without an aching back"
which teaches sheet composting in the garden. This has saved me lots of money
and hours of effort.

---

From: PAT LENZO <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 10:28:52 -0600 (CST)

> I'd like to add Ruth Stout who wrote "Marigolds and Peacock Manure" about
> low input horticultural techniques,

Correction here...Ruth Stout, sister of mystery writer Rex Stout, was the
permanent deep mulch lady as someone also said. Wrote 2-3 books on the system.

Janet Gillespie wrote the above book. Somehow I think it's Peacock Manure and
Marigolds, but I might be wrong. In it she mentions a old folks way to get rid
of woodchucks (some places called groundhogs). I've used the method twice and
it works, but I'm hesitant to post it because I don't want to be laughed (or
flamed) off the Net. 

Pat