Subject: Re: Making string from plants

From: [email-masked]
Date: 28 Dec 1994 20:46:23 -0500

Dale Barnard ([email-masked]) wrote:
> It seems like being able to make string out of near-by materials such
> as plants would be useful in many survival situations.  It would also
> be a fun thing to practice when spending time outdoors.  Does anybody have
> suggestions for how to make strong fishing line, sewing thread, rope, etc.?

> Certainly, it would depend on the type of materials, but there are
> bound to be some general concepts that would be useful.

Making cordage can be an essential skill, particularly for improvising 
shelters (you have to fasten them together somehow). Look at Larry Dean 
Olsen's _Outdoor Survival Skills_ and Richard Graves' _Bushcraft_.
The Graves book even shows how to set up a rope walk, for making heavy 
cordage in quantity.

The basic principle is to twist a fiber bundle and then wrap it, *in the
opposite direction*, around another twisted bundle or bundles. The bundles
thus cling together and laid rope or cord is the result. This is easier
done than said, and a little practice should make you secure in your
ability to make any size from twine to large ropes. 

For materials you can at least try any material that is fibrous, clingy, 
reasonably long-stranded and that doesn't easily cut itself when tied in 
an overhand knot and tugged on the ends. Many plant stalks contain fibers 
that can be stripped out if the stalks are soaked and beaten.

Well, that's my two cents.

:)

All best wishes,
Chuck

-- 
.sig:****************************Chuck Marsh, database consultant. 
I relate to anything relational, objects not objected to. 
e-mail [email-masked]; finger [email-masked]; whois marsh
gopher gopher.lm.com, neat place, see my ad in the Shopping Plaza.