Subject: Books rev 0.04

From: [email-masked] (Richard A. De Castro)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 1994 20:39:34 GMT

Survival books, rev 0.04

Disclaimer:  Most reviews are written by the people who submit them to
me.  I only edit for style, punctuation and spelling (eventually).  I
really wouldn't like to get any flames if you disagree with the contents
of a review, if you don't like it, write another one and I'll include it
also.

General.  Books are listed by Name and Author, which should be
sufficient to find them in a library or bookstore.  I never liked doing
bibliographical information in writing in school, and I'm not going to
do it here.  You're welcome to add your own information, if you feel
it's needed.

Note:  Books will be sorted in a future revision.  They are in no
particular order now.  Also planned are mail order sources for these
books.  Anyone have any ideas?

Changes in rev 0.04:  Added additional fiction and non-fiction books,
movies/videos, catalogs,
                                 
LOOKING FOR:

Is there any worthwhile software that should be indexed?  If so, let's
discuss it in misc.survivalism, and I'll post it.

Books about natural and/or homeopathic medicine

Cooking and using raw materials (what do you do with a thousand pounds
of wheat?)

Shooting, Reloading, Making improvised weapons

Mail Order sources of books or catlogs

Alternative energy

Communications

Sources of Training

????  --  If you know of a book to include here, please email me with
it's name and author, and a brief (1 or 2 sentence) description of it.
I'll compile and post them.  Send to [email-masked]

Please do NOT send me anything in MIME format, if you can possibly avoid
it.  Also, please don't send me anything that's copyrighted.  If you are
the legitimate copyright holder, and are willing to place the
information in the public domain by posting it to a public newsgroup
with a suitable release, I'll be glad to incorporate it into this list -
otherwise, it's not public domain, and I won't.

                                Fiction
                       Books with Survival Themes

Footfall, by Jerry Pournelle.  Alien's similar to elephants invade the
earth.  A good deal of how to survive in urban areas without the
infrastructure we would normally have.

Lucifer's Hammer, by Pournelle.  A comet strikes the earth, many
survival skills and scenes.  Also deals with canibalism.

Tunnel in the Sky, by Heinlein.  Survival in an unexpected, long term
situation.

Sixth Column, by Heinlein.  Survival after enemy invasion of the US.

Farnham's Freehold, by Heinlein.  One mans preparation and success in
surviving nuclear war.

The Stand, by Sephen King.  All reports suggest the book is better than
the miniseries on TV was, I haven't read the book, and I didn't watch
the series.  Starts out with a plague killing most people on earth,
turns supernatural towards the end.

Alas Babylon, by Pat Frank.  The first (?) survivalist book.  Nuclear
war survival in rural Florida.

No Blade of Grass, by John Christopher? A plague wipes out all food
grains over most of the earth.  People fleeing London for Wales, also
forming local alliances and groups.

The Sheep Look Up, by John Brunner.  Survival in an ecologically damaged
America.

Stand on Zanzibar, by John Brunner.  Life in an oppressive police state,
within an ecologically damaged world.

Maleville, by Robert Merle.  Post nuclear war survival in rural France.
Interesting social dramas, not too good for survival skills.

Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.  Useful for understanding the people
responsible for the problems.

Wolf & Iron, by Gordon R. Dickson.  Post economic colapse. Lone wanderer
scavanges and learns his way across several states. Finaly sets up as
blacksmith and farmer rancher.

A Canticle for Leibowitz, by  Walter M. Miller.  A fascinating book
about long-term post apocolypse story, about the value of books and
knowledge.

The Postman, by David Brin.  A great book about a traveller in the
medium - long post nuclear war environment, the establishment of local
and regional governments, and the value of a travelling postman to carry
news from one region to another.

Earth Abides by George R Steward.  Pandemic survivors find each other
and build comunities initially based on scavanging.  Inertia causes
little of predisaster technology and culture to be passed on, causing
great anguish to main charater.

Survivors by Terry Nation.  Pneumonic plauge strain spread by air travel
kills off most of the population.  Set in Great Britain, a survivor
group failing under pressure from bad weather and hostile neighbors
migrates to the south of France. Strangely enough Brits will use guns if
they can get them.

The Folk of the Fringe by Orson Scott Card.  Short stories set shortly
after a socital colapse. All stories are about Mormons or converts.

All Fools' Day by Edmund Cooper.  A new type of radation (yuk yuk)
causes most of mankind to commit suicide. The immune are 'creative
artists of all kinds, lunatics, political and reigious fanatics,
prostitutes and pathological animal lovers.' Set in Great Britain.

Survival in Auschwitz, by Primo Levi.  Learn the importance of attitude
in survival; those who kept hope alive in their hearts were far more
likely to make it through--as well as being able to think quick and
adapt.

Harvest of Stars, by Poul Anderson:  America where political correctness
has become a religion and taken over.  I'm reading it now (half done)
and it may not be a prime example but is well done. One must think ahead
and be on ones toes at all times in dealing with a police state; acting
experience is a plus!

Vandenberg, by Oliver Lange.  Life in a United States occupied by Soviet
(or whatever) troops.  Frightening.

Some Will Not Die, by Algis Budrys.  Post pandemic in New York City Son
of inital main char forms the "Reunification Army" to create the "Second
Republic." Guns guns and more guns and living on 20 year old canned
goods. Still not a bad story.

Only Lovers Left Alive by Dave Wallis.  Set in Britain, virtually
everyone over 19 commits suicide over a 2 year period.  A street gang
rises to the conquest of London metro area but finds it tough going in
the country when the canned good run out.

Winters Daughter by Charles Whitmore.  Told in the style of a Norse
Saga, the life of a woman born in Africa just after a nuclear war, to
American and Norse parents. She lives in N. America and Norway, goes
down swinging in a feud in Norway in the best saga tradition.

The Long Loud Silence by Wilson Tucker.  Bio war wipes out USA east of
Mississippi.  The story of an "immune" (all such are carrers). Canablism
is adopted by some survivors.

The Raft by Robert Trumbull.  Three USN Aircrew navigate their raft 34
days to a landfall. Info on desperation navigation, finding food and
water at sea, and how to turn a Model 1911A1 into a better hammer when
it's going to rust solid anyway.

Trapped at Pearl Harbor by Stephen Bower Young.  What to do when your
battle ship turns over?  Well, don't give up is a good start.

Shackleton's Valiant Voyage by Alfred Lansing.  Antartic explorers lose
their ship in pack ice after a year of wating no rescue. Three (of the
28) sail a boat from the edge of the ice to South Georgia and make first
crossing of island mountain range. All survive.

The day of the triffids, by John Wyndham.  A meteor shower blinds most
of the inhabitants on earth. A group of people who stil have sight fight
against flesh eating plants while the try to survive.

Earth Abides, by ?  Respiratory disease wipes out most of the
population. Survival as society crumbles and people try to go from being
scavengers to producers in a new society.

                              Non-Fiction
                  Informational or instructional books

Tappan on Survival, by Mel Tappan.  A collection of the late Mr. Tappans
articles in various magazines.

Survival Guns, by Mel Tappan.  A somewhat dated, but still very valid,
analysis of weapons (not just firearms) for use in long and short term
survival situations.

Cooper on Handguns, by Jeff Cooper.  The classic book on firearms
selection, training and use.

Shoot Out, by Tony Lesce.  A book on firearms self-defense.  Not as good
as some others.

The Official Boy Scout Handbook.  A classic, both the current and older
versions.

The Official Boy Scout Fieldbook.  Even more of a classic, definately
need both current and older versions.

Radiological Defense Manual, CPG 2-6.2, Defense Civil Preparedness
Agency.  Information on fallout patterns and protection.

Be expert with Map and Compass, Bjorn Kjellstrom.  The classic on using
orienteering style compasses.

Aircrew Survival, Air Force Manual 64-5, 1 Sept 85.  A pocket sized book
on immediate survival skills.

Search and Rescue - Survival Training, Air Force Regulation 64-4.  The
larger, full sized textbook for survival.

How to Shit in the Woods, by Kathleen Meyer.  The name says it all.

Life after Doomsday, Bruce Clayton.  Good information on selecting a
location to "retreat" in, skills and tools.

Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured, by the
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.  The classic textbook for
Emergency Medical Technicians, sometimes called the "Orange Book".

Outdoor Emergency Care, by Bowman.  The National Ski Patrol emergency
medical text.  More applicable to emergency care in less than urban
situations.

Mangement of Wilderness and Environmental Emergencies, by Auerbach and
Geeher.  A medical textbook (warning) discussing simple and advanced
treatments.

How to be Your Own Doctor (Sometimes), by Sehnert.  A good guide on
deciding if you need a doctor or not.

Nuclear War Survival Skills, by Cresson Kearny.  Do it yourself fallout
shelters, radiation detection information, etc.  If you think the chance
of nuclear attack or incident is a threat, you should certainly have
this book.

The Foxfire Books (all of them).  Sorting the wheat from the chaff, lots
of good information on basic homesteading skills.

Tom Brown's Field Guides to:
        City and Suburban Survival
        the Forgotten Wilderness
        Wilderness Survival
        Living with the Earth
        Nature
        Observation and Tracking
        Nature and Survival for Children
        Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants

The Tracker, as told by William Jon Watkins.  Stories of his learning
and usage of survival techniques and tracking

The Search, Tom Brown with William Owen.  Same as above, but continued

Granfather, Tom Brown.  Account of Life of his Teacher, a South Lippan
Apache Scout. Many survival stories

Nature Philosophy Books by Tom Brown:
        The Vision
        The Quest
        The Journey
        Awakening Spirits

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peterson's Field Guide to Animal Tracks
Peterson's Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants

Medicine for Mountaineering, published by the Mountaineers.  A good
intermediate-duration care book, with heavy emphasis on the mountains
and the problems of them.

The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Treatment, published by Merck.  The
classic diagnostic medical book, heavy on drug treatments rather than
surgical interventions.  A new edition is released every four or five
years.

Gray's anatomy.  Even the old editions, or the reprints of the "classic"
editions are worthwhile.  A very good text on human anatomy and
physiology, highly recommended.

A serious dictionary of your favorite language.

Care and Use of Individual Clothing and Equipment, Army Field Manual
21-15.  How to use basic field gear.

Field Hygiene and Sanitation, Army Field Manual 21-10/Air Force Manual
161-10.  Basic field sanitation techniques.

Vehicle Recovery Operations, Army Field Manual 21-22.  How to get
unstuck, also has good information about moving large heavy objects with
things found at hand.

Map Reading, Army Field Manual 21-26.  How to use (correctly) military
style lensatic compasses, and the best discussion of military grid
systems such as UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator).

Topographic Symbols, Army Field Manual 21-31.  What the symbols on maps
mean.  Also applies to USGS topographic maps.

Visual Signals, Army Field Manual 21-60.  Standardized hand and
non-spoken signals.

The Morrow Guide to Knots, Bigon and Regazzoni.  Lots of different
knots, how and when to tie them.

Hypothermia, Frostbite and Other Cold Injuries, Wilkerson, M.D., Bangs,
M.D., Hayward, M.D.

                       Magazines and Periodicals

American Survival Guide, McMullen & Yee Publishing, 774 South Placentia
Ave. Placentia, CA  92670  (714) 572-2255 Monthly, $26.95 / year.

Backwoods Home Magazine, 1257 Siskiyou Blvd. #213, Ashland, Or  97520
Bi-monthly, $17.95.

Back Home Magazine, Wordsworth Communications, 110 Third Ave. West,
Hendersonville, NC  28792.  Quarterly, $16.00 / year.

Home Power, P.O. Box 520, Ashland, Or  97520.  Bi-monthly, $15.00 /
year.

                           Movies and Videos

The Day of the Triffids, by John Wyndham.  A meteor shower blinds most
of the inhabitants on earth. A group of people who stil have sight fight
against flesh eating plants while the try to survive.

Amerika - TV movie about life in the US following an invasion and
takeover by the Soviet Union.  Interesting in terms of infrastructure
that was no longer present (phone service?) and how a resistance
organization grew.

Testament

Red Dawn - Soviet backed forces from Nicaragua invade Colorado, high
school students form resistance movement and fight back.

Zulu - British Soldiers in Colonial Africa fight against thousands of
Zulu warriors.  Interesting in terms of command relationships.

Zulu Dawn

Alive - Movie about the survivors of a plane crash in the Andes, who
resort to canibalism.

5 Returned?  About nuclear war in the Los Angeles area.  An identifying
scene of stopping traffic on the freeway by throwing a bucket of
gasoline across it, and setting it afire.  Anyone know what the name
really is?  How about a copy?

                    Catalogs and Mail Order Sources

(much of this section is taken from FAQ's from various USENET groups).

Real Goods, Alternative Energy Sourcebook 1990
John Schaeffer, et al,
Real Goods Trading Company
966 Mazzoni St
Ukiah, Ca 95482
800-762-7325 (orders)
707-468-0301 (tech)
707-468-0301 (FAX)ISBN  0-916571-00-9-
$14
Distributed by Ten Speed Press

Adventure Outfitters  (discounter)
     514 So. College Ave. 
     Ft. Collins CO 80524
			 303 224 2460   
			 800 622 4486

Adventure Medical Kits  (first aid supplies)
     Berlekey CA              510 531 9610

Brigade Quartermasters (Hunting-Military-Backpacking)
     1025 Cobb International Bl    
     Kennesaw GA 30144-4300
	  Catalog Order       800-338-4327
	  Customer Service    404-428-1234
		    FAX  800-829-2999

Cabela's  (Camping-Hunting-Fishing-Backpacking)
     812-13th. Ave.
     Sidney NE 69160
	  Catalog Order       800-237-4444
	  Customer Service    800-237-8888
	  FAX                 308-254-2200

CAMPMOR   (Camping-Bike-Backpacking)
     801 route 17 North
     Order Dept. Box 997-H
     Paramus NJ 07653-0997
	  Catalog Order       800-526-4784
	  Customer Service    800-525-4784
		    FAX  20447-5559
     a large catalog, often the best prices.
     One retail store in Paramus.

Cheyenne Outfitters      (Western)
     P O Box 12013
     Cheyenne  WY 82003-1219
	  Catalog Order       800-234-0432
	  Customer Service    307-775-7575

Daisy Kingdom  (outdoor fabrics and also patterns)
   134 NW 8th
   Portland, OR
   (503) 222-9033             

Don Gleason    (Camping-Backpacking)
     PO Box 87-9 Pearl St.
     Northhampton MA 0106 0087
	  Catalog Order       800-257-0019
	  Customer Service    413-584-4895
		    FAX       413-586-8770
     a line similar to Campmor (Eureka, Northface, Coleman etc.)
     with a few interesting  odds and ends like Eastwing rock tools
     and gold pans, bulk shock cord, a whole page of bulk propane
     fittings and adaptors, and bulk tanks......  They state they
     have a no hassle return policy and 1 yr warranty.  Their retail
     store is located one block south of the intersection of route 5
     and route 9 (Main St.) in Northampton, Mass.  1 mile from exit
     18 of interstate 91, 15 minutes North of exit 4 of the Mass
     Turnpike (West Springfield exit).

Down Home   (sleeping bags)
     west fork road 
     Deadwood, Oregon, 97430  
			 503 964 3012

Dunns     (Camping-Hunting-Fishing-Backpacking)
     Hwy 57E PO Box 449
     Grand Junction TN 38039
	  Catalog Order       800-223-8667
	  Customer Service    800-367-2940
		    FAX       901-764-6503

Dyna Med  (first-aid supplies and kits, reasonable prices)  
     cust service             800 334 8211 
     orders                   800 854 2706 
     
Early Winters  (Ski-Camping)
     PO Box 4333
     Portland OR 97208-4333
	  Catalog Order       800-458-4438
	  Customer Service    800-821-1286
		    FAX       503-643-1973

Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) (general backcountry equipment)
			 603 924 9571
     EMS does not have a mail order catalog, but has
     a large number of retail stores in the East. At
     least some of these stores will accept phone orders.
     Sale flyers are mailed to local lists.  Check your
     local phone book.

Eddie Bauer    (Camping-Backpacking)
     Fifth and  Union
     PO Box 3700
     Seattle WA. 98124-3700
	  Catalog Order       800-426-8020 
	  Customer Service    800-426-6253
		    FAX       206-869-4629

Feathered Friends  (Camping - Backpacking - Climbing) 
     15161 11th. Avenue
     Seattle WA 98122
	  Catalog Order    206-324-4166 or 441-8229
	  FAX                 206-443-9567
     "Yes Feathered Friends have gone mail order and they are
     stocking a lot of other items that they don't make. The catalog
     sent me was for climbing equipment. It was titled the Haulbag.
     But there sleeping bags and other items were also shown."

Fox Ridge Outfitters     (Camping-Hunting)
     400North Main St.
     PO Box 1700
     Rochester NH 03867
	  Catalog Order       800-243-4570
		    FAX       603-332-5133

Frostline Kits
     2512 W. Independent Avenue            
     Grand Junction, CO  81505-7200
			 800-548-7872
     "They carry pre-cut down kits but also sell uncut fabrics 
     and bulk down and holofil."

Gander Mountain, Inc. - 
	  (800) 558-9410 

Garden Mountain, Inc. (Camping-Hunting-Fishing-Backpacking)
     Also ask about their specialty catalogs.
     Box 248 Hwy. W
     Wilmot WI 53192
	  Catalog Order       800-558-9410  
	  Customer Service    800-426-3371
		    FAX       800-533-2828

The Green Pepper  (fabrics, including neoprene)
     3918 West First Avenue 
     Eugene, OR  97402
			 (800) 767-5684

Indiana Camp Supply (general camping, medical)
     Loveland Colorado
	  Phone               303-669-8884
     "A large collection of medical and first aid items for back
     country use    ICS has changed ownership, and isn't in Indiana
     now.  Don't know if anything else has changed).  ICS is also a
     publisher of backcountry-related books."

Keel-Haulers Outfitters       (Kayak,Canoe, Scuba.)
     30940 Lorain Rd.
     N. Olmsted, OH 44070
	  Catalog Order       216-779-4545
     {testimonial to wonderful service and good prices deleted}
	  
Lands End  (general clothing)
     1 Lands'end Lane
     Dept JW
     Dodgeville WI 53594
	  Catalog Order       800-356-4444

Leisure Outlet      (Packs, Bags, Tents )
     421 Soquel Av
     Santa Cruz CA 95062
	  Catalog Order  800-322-1460
	  Customer Service    408-335-7657
	       FAX       408-457-2682 / 457-0888

L.L. Bean (Camping-Hunting-Fishing-First Aid-Backpacking)
     Freeport ME 04033
	  Catalog Order       800-221-4221
	  Customer Service    800-341-4341
     Ask about their specialty catalogs.  
     Low shipping fee.  good customer satisfaction reputation; their
     retail store is a "must-see" when in Maine.  Also, if you are
     in the area: the LLBean closeout store on Rt. 16 in North
     Conway, NH.  Very good prices stock from discontinued lines
     and, I believe, on seconds and returns.  I've never seen this
     outlet advertised.

Mass *Army* Navy* Store (Hunting-Military-Backpacking)
     15 Fordham Rd.
     Boston MA 02134
	  Catalog Order       800-343-7749
	  Customer Service    617-783-1250
	  FAX                 617-254-6607

Moore Medical, Ask for the EMS catalog            
			 800 234 1464
     "Moore carries many medical supplies found on a BLS ambulance
     at low to reasonable prices.  A few other accessories, but not
     extensive."  ([email-masked])

Micro Bio-medics [otherwise known as MBM]
     Supplies and equipment for sports medicine, first aid, EMS, and
     school nurses.
     MBM, Inc. 717 South Third Ave Mt. Vernon, NY
	  800-431-2743 914-699-1700 914-699-1759 FAX
     MBM, Inc. 8930 Western Way, Suite 5 Jacksonville, FL 32256
	  800-345-9883 904-363-1396
     MBM - Arcade First Aid Division    211 Harbor Way South San
Francisco,
	  CA  94080 800-241-6555 415-589-6037 415-589-0812 FAX
	       
Mountain Equipment Co-op. 
     Mail Order Store    
     1665 W. 3rd Ave
     Vancouver, BC V6J 1K1
	  Catalog Order (US & Canada)800-663-2667 
	  Local or International   604-732-1537
		    FAX       604-736483 
     (Canada's answer to REI) $5.00 lifetime membership, 
     their own brand of clothing and packs (and other 
     things)  Retail stores:
	  Vancouver Store     (604)872-7858
	  428 West 8th Ave
	  Vancouver, BC V5Y 1N9

	  Calgary Store       (403)269-2420
	  1009-4th Ave S.W.
	  Calgary, AB T2P 0K8

	  Toronto Store       (416)363-0122
	  35 Front St. East
	  Toronto, ON M5E 1B3

	  Ottawa Store        (613)745-1094
	  5B Beechwood St.
	  Ottawa, ON K1M 1M2

Mountain Mend   (backcountry fabrics)
	  1580 Canyon
	  Boulder, CO 
		      (303) 443-1925

Narain's Outdoor Equipment          (Gore-tex)
     in Berkeley next door to REI
		    415 527-2509

NITRO-PAK                     213 802 0099
     13243 Rosecrans Avenue 
     Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670-4940
     first aid supplies ($5 catalog)    
	  
The North Face Factory Outlet store     
     1238 5th St. 
     Berkeley CA 94710
	       510 526 3530   800 388 7998                  
     Medford Outlet Center
     303 County Road 12, S.W.
     Medford, MN 55049
     (ph) 507-455-3120
     (fax) 507-455-3739

Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics  (208)466-1602
     16195 Latah Drive
     Nampa, ID  83651
     "I've only dealt with them once, but they were very helpful,
     and they have anything you might dream of in terms of
     outdoor fabrics (cordura, packcloth, lycra, neoprene,
     goretex, etc.)"

PFI Western Store    (Western)
     2743 W Chestnut Exp
     Springfield MO 65802
	  Catalog Order       800-284-8191
	  Customer Service    800-284-8191
	       
Piragis Northwoods Outfitters (Canoe Camping)
     105B North Central Ave. 
     Ely MN 55731
	  Catalog Order       800-223-6565
     general catalog plus unique Boundary Waters items - books,
     maps, etc.  They are also a complete outfitter, with all sorts
     of rental equipment.  They rent light kevlar Wenonah canoes.

Quartermaster -               (800) 444-8643      

Quest Outfitters              (800)359-6931
     2590 17th St. Suite B
     Sarasota, FL 34234
     "outdoor fabrics as well as zippers, threads, needles, liners,
     fills, and patterns."

Ramsey Outdoor
	  Catalog Order       201-261-5000
	  Customer Service    800-526-7436 

The Rainshed   (outdoor fabrics)   (503)753-8900
     707 NW 11th
     Corvallis, OR 97330
     "outdoor fabrics as well as zippers, threads, needles, liners,
     fills, and patterns." "We just ordered a large quantity of
     fabric from Rainshed after considering both them and several
     others including Quest Outfitters.  The Rainshed was anywhere
     from $2 to $8 cheaper per yard.  The Rainshed also has serves
     businesses with a tax id number with a discounted wholesale
     rate and no minium on fabrics. (12/92)"
     [email-masked])

Recreational Equipment Inc. REI (Camping-climbing-Backpacking-Bike-Ski)
     45th. Street East
     Summer WA 98352-0001
	  Catalog Order       800-426-4840
	  Customer Service    800-828-5533
		    FAX       206-891-2523
     "member-owned co-op;  some unique items including their own line
     of tents and clothing and lots of technical rock climbing
     equipment.  This is a membership-owned co-op.   Members get an
     annual 5% to 10% rebate on purchases.  Life membership $10.00
     Retail stores mostly in the west."

Seattle Fabrics 
     3878 Bridge Way N Seattle 98103         
			 206 632 6022
     canvas, gore-tex, polarplus, etc.

Sequel    (clothing)
     PO Box 3185 
     98 Everett St
     Durango CO 81302-3185    
			 303 385 4660

S.I.  Gardena, CA. - (800) 533-7415

Sierra Trading Post (Camping-Fishing-Backpacking)
     5025 Campstool Rd.
     Cheyenne WY 82007
	  Catalog Order       307-775-8000
	  Customer Service    
		    FAX       307-775-8088

The Sportsman's Guide (Hunting-Military-Backpacking)
     965 Decatur Ave. North
     Golden Valley Minnesota 55427-4398
	  Catalog Order       800-888-3006
	  Customer Service    800-888-5222
		    FAX  800-333-6933

S & S Equipment       (Hunting-Military-Backpacking) 
     435 W. Alondra Bl.
     Gardena CA. 90248
	  Catalog Order (LA area)  310-324-8855
	  Catalog Order       800-441-8855
	  Customer Service    
		    FAX  310-324-6909

Screaming Eagle     (Hunting)
     PO Box 4507
     Missoula Montana 59806
	  Catalog Order       800-458-2017
	  Customer Service    406-543-1114

Smokey Mountain Knife Works   (Knife)
     PO Box 4430 
     Sevierville TN 37864-4430
	  Catalog Order       800-259-1306 
	  Customer Service    800-327-5871
		    FAX  615-429-0182   

The Third Hand ( Bike-Ski  Tools)
     PO Box 212 
     Mt. Shasta CA 96067
	  Catalog Order       916-926-2600
		    FAX  916-926-2663

USGS Map Sales  (backcountry topo maps)
     Federal Center
     P.O. Box 25286
     Denver, CO   80225
			 303-236-7477

VauDe USA ( Clothing-Bags, all types-Tents)
     5311 Western Av  Suite A
     Boulder CO 80301
	  Catalog Order       800-886-8283

Wyoming River Raiders    (Camping, Kayaking, Canoeing and Rafting
     601 Wyoming Blvd
     Casper, WY 82609 
	  Catalog Order       800-247-6068

-- 
============================================================================
[email-masked]      Warning:  I am a trained professional.  No, Really!
Rick N6RCX EMT-A ATP MA  Do Not try this yourself - it could get ugly......
Richard A. De Castro -   As long as the Government pretends to protect me,
			 I'll pretend to feel safe - NOT!
     -Don't Tread On Me!-
============================================================================