Subject: Re: Making Your Own Pressure-Treated Wood

From: [email-masked] (Rob Cummings)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 11:46:17 GMT

Karen L. Black ([email-masked]) wrote:
: There are only a couple extra points I'd like to add to Mr. Moore's
: excellent article:

: 1.  Because this is not, strictly speaking, pressure-treating, the
: solution will not penetrate as deeply.  Thus, if you are going to
: be sanding or cutting the lumber, treat it again afterwards.

: 2.  Make sure the ends of the lumber are thoroughly soaked in the
: solution, which will penetrate more deeply there.

: 3.  Design your building to fasten with carriage bolts as much as
: possible.  Drill your holes first, then make sure the wood in the
: holes is well soaked with mix.

: Karen Black

On the ranch when I grew up we used to treat fence posts in a penta 
(penathol?, don't remember exactly) and diesel solution, about half
and half I think. Just stood the posts up in a 55 gal. drum and filled
it with solution and let them soak for about a week.  Maybe could do
the same in a vat where you could lay the wood in and weight it down.
Is kinda a nasty solution to handle though, can burn the skin real
easy.
Good Luck
Rob C.
: