Subject: Re: Water purification
From: [email-masked] ("Robert F. Enenkel")
Newsgroups: misc.rural

Re: [about 1000 gal cistern and removing iron from drinking water]

I have heard of a fish breeder in Japan who removes iron by spraying the
water through fine fogg-it type nozzles into a large open tank filled
with sand, which traps the resulting oxidized particulate.  These sand tanks
are periodically backwashed.  He tests the iron content of the water
with tea.  (I believe the iron makes it go dark).  Let me know if you
want more information on this and I'll look it up.  Robert Enenkel

From: [email-masked] (Oleg Kiselev)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens,rec.aquaria,sci.aquaria
Subject: Re: pond underweater plants

>aquatic, and 6 15cm long strands of milfoil in a 10 gal aquarium will

Which one of the milfoils were you using?  There are several species of 
them and the one I have tried have tried was a very fast grower (in full
unfiltered sunlight), but insisted on the immersed rather than submersed 
growing habit.  In fact, very few of its leaves were underwater.

>plants need a decent light source.

What do you consider "a decent light source"?  I.e. watt or lumen per 
sq. ft., type of lighting, etc.  A fast-growing ammonia consumer is perfect
plant for an unfiltered tank and I have not been able to strike the balance 
bewteen the light requirements and the usability in a small tank: Java moss
grows too slowly, Cabomba requires way too much light...

Oleg Kiselev                                             [email-masked]

Newsgroups: misc.rural
From: [email-masked] (Robert Frederick Enenkel)
Subject: Re: Strange Idea
Date: 26 Jan 93 00:17:44 GMT

I know there are papers on breeding Carp for
reduced number of intramuscular bones.  If I remember correctly, all
they did there was to select the most favourable individuals and breed 
them together, then do the same with their offspring, etc.  This is
also the process that produced Koi (Japanese Coloured Carp) from common
carp, the occasional natural mutation of which had some colouration.

Newsgroups: misc.rural
From: [email-masked] (Andy Hill)
Subject: Re: Strange Idea
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1993 17:30:08 GMT
Reply-To: [email-masked]

[text deleted] you'd still have to select for the desired traits.  
Radiating the  gametes would just increase the number of available 
mutations.  Also, there is some gene-splicing work going on, although the 
only practical applications that I'm familiar with involve bacteria.  

Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: Re: Water gardens, fish & plants
From: [email-masked] (A.S. Chamove)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 93 23:54:32 GMT

Goldfish will eat mosquito larvae, in fact it is very good for
bringing fish into breeding condition.

Arnold Chamove
Massey University Psychology
Palmerston North, New Zealand