Subject: Sustainable freshwater aquaculture

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Bedford Clark)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 08:18:18 +0000

The Earth Centre is an international centre promoting the adoption of 
environmentally sound activities by individuals, business and government 
through the mediums of education, exhibition and entertainment".

This extensive, ecological visitor attraction is located on a 220 acre site at 
Conisbrough, South Yorkshire. United Kingdom and at maturity will attract 
1,000,000 visitors per annum. It's principle aims are to provide unprecedented 
opportunities and facilities for popular insight to the leading human, 
environmental and development themes and challenges of the late 20th and early 
21st centuries and to show the complex interactive issues of environment and 
economy, ecology and industry, science and the arts in an exciting, accessible 
and uplifting way.

Features to be included in the 1.93 million pound sterling first phase of 
development to be opened in July 1995 are the establishment of new woodlands & 
wetlands, a visitor centre and "living earth" exhibition, an ecological 
adventure playpark, bakery and cafe, demonstration agriculture and 
horticulture areas and an AQUACULTURE CENTRE.
100,000-150,000 paying visitors are expected to attend in the first year.

 'Aqua-Terra' will promote aquatic farming and ecology at the Earth Centre 
site. In phase one, twelve organically lined earth ponds, an extensive wetland 
'production' area and a hatchery/ aquatic ecology visitor centre will be opened
The project is the United Kingdom's first major sustainable freshwater 
aquaculture initiative. The principle aims are to blend innovation, research, 
conservation and educational awareness into a common goal of aquatic 
sustainability and demonstrate this through a successful commercial enterprise.
 
Through The Earth Centre it also hoped to develop and demonstrate the 
integration of sustainable aquaculture and agriculture, emphasising and 
researching topical areas of symbiosis in the production of foodstuffs. 
As a visitor attraction, living displays and contact exhibits will appeal to a 
broad audience of all ages and the ability to stimulate an enthusiastic and 
lively approach towards aquatic commercial and scientific education.

We are actively seeking academic partnerships to take part in active research 
projects on the site and would welcome contact with overseas institutions.

For further information or comments please contact:

Stephen Bedford Clark
Director of Aquatic Ecology
The Earth Centre
Kilners Bridge
Doncaster Road
Denaby Main
South Yorkshire
DN5 9DY
United Kingdom

Telephone:	+ 44 709 770566
Facsimile :	+ 44 709 861727
Email	:	[email-masked]
-- 
Stephen Bedford Clark