Subject: Varroa Resistant Stock

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 00:33:00 GMT

*FYI*

From: [email-masked]
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 1996 14:04:09 -0500
Subject:      Varroa Resistant Stock

The USDA, ARS Honey Bee Breeding, Genetics and Physiology
Laboratory in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, is seeking the help of
beekeepers in a project aimed at combatting Varroa jacobsoni.  We
at the laboratory are searching U.S. honey bee germplasm for
traits which contribute to resistance to, or tolerance of,
varroa.  Beekeepers are urged to contact us if they are aware of
infested colonies that have survived for more than a year without
treatment to control varroa.  Many people have commented to us
about colonies that they think may be resistant.  Now is the time
to critically evaluate these genetic resources from across the
nation, as resistance may indeed have had a chance to be
expressed.   We ask the nation's beekeepers to check for possible
"survivor" colonies as beekeeping activities are stepped up in
the weeks ahead.

This project can accommodate up to 50 queens.  The queens will be
evaluated in 1996, and the best will be used for further stock
research and development during the next two to three years.
Each contributing beekeeper will be sent  the results of the
initial queen evaluation and a complimentary queen from the first
generation of propagated material.

The chief goal of this project is to deliver an improved stock
back to U.S. beekeepers.
Thus, this is a unique opportunity for concerned beekeepers to
contribute to the wellbeing of their industry.  Anyone wishing to
contribute potentially useful queens should contact one of the
principal investigators (listed below); queens will be needed in
Baton Rouge by the end of April.  We ask that no queens be sent
before arrangements are made with us.

Robert Danka (tel. 504/767-9294, email [email-masked])
John Harbo (504/767-9288, [email-masked])
Thomas Rinderer (504/767-9281, [email-masked])

USDA, ARS Honey Bee Breeding, Genetics and Physiology Laboratory
1157 Ben Hur Road
Baton Rouge, LA 70820-5502
tel. 504/767-9280, fax 504/766-9212

---

From: [email-masked] (David J Trickett)
Date: 4 Apr 1996 08:18:47 GMT

: The chief goal of this project is to deliver an improved stock
: back to U.S. beekeepers.
: Thus, this is a unique opportunity for concerned beekeepers to
: contribute to the wellbeing of their industry.  Anyone wishing to
: contribute potentially useful queens should contact one of the
: principal investigators (listed below); queens will be needed in
: Baton Rouge by the end of April.  We ask that no queens be sent
: before arrangements are made with us.

Just out of curiousity, who is going to "own" the resulting hybrid?  Put
another way, is this going to end up getting sold to a queen producer (or
set thereof) who will then charge a premium for it?  I am cautious because
it seems to me the U.S. Government tends to subsidize too many
industries/firms as it is (e.g., Archer Daniels Midland, various forestry
and mining interests, some cattle grazers, (NO FLAMES PLEASE unless you
can convincingly monetize the value of the negative externalities resulting
>from  grazing on public lands and show that the grazing fee compensates for
them, including intertemporally) etc.) I'm interested in particpating
since I do removals and have access to feral stock.  The fact that USDA is
making the F1 hybrids available to those who contribute is encouraging,
but I'd still like to know who will own the resulting strain and how it
will be marketed. 

dave t.