Subject: What kind of caulk is "bee-proof"

From: [email-masked] (Rob Piepul)
Date: 13 Jul 1995 03:27:25 GMT

What is the best kind of caulk to use?  I have a colony of honey bees  
under the eaves of my house.  A local beekeeper placed a temporary hive 
and covered the main entrance with a screen funnel.  They "chewed" 
through the latex caulk sealing the joint between the eave and the wall. 
 He then applied some silicon caulk which seemed to do the trick.  
However I am told by another beekeeper that bees can get through this 
also.  Can anyone recommend a type of caulk to use that bees cannot eat 
through?

Thanks,

Rob Piepul, Tulsa Oklahoma

---

From: [email-masked] (Gerard Worrell)
Date: 13 Jul 1995 11:43:57 GMT

Rob Piepul ([email-masked]) wrote:
: What is the best kind of caulk to use?  I have a colony of honey bees  
: under the eaves of my house.  A local beekeeper placed a temporary hive 
: and covered the main entrance with a screen funnel.  They "chewed" 
: through the latex caulk sealing the joint between the eave and the wall. 
:  He then applied some silicon caulk which seemed to do the trick.  
: However I am told by another beekeeper that bees can get through this 
: also.  Can anyone recommend a type of caulk to use that bees cannot eat 
: through?

: Thanks,

: Rob Piepul, Tulsa Oklahoma 
Most caulks are advertised as remaining pliable to cover the expansion / 
contraction caused by temperature variations. I would suggest using a 
wood filler such as "plastic wood" or one by Elmers (glue people). 
Plastic wood has very coarse fibers and Elmers product is very fine. When 
it dries it is as hard as wood. I use it to repair damage to hive parts.

Jerry Worrell, [email-masked], Dunkirk Md.

---

From: [email-masked] (Rita Pirone Noak)
Date: 15 Jul 1995 04:12:35 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Rob Piepul) says:
>
>What is the best kind of caulk to use?

A good welder probably can help you out.