Subject: New Zealand Bee Diseases

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:41:00 GMT

*FYI* Official NZ Government reaction to beekeepers post in the
BEE-List.
                    ----------------------------------------
From: Cliff Van Eaton <[email-masked]>
Date:         Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:47:51 +1200
Subject:      New Zealand Bee Diseases

In reply to Mr. Patton's message to BEE-L of June 8, 1996 <No Subject
Given>, I would like to clarify the following points for subscribers:

1.  My position with the NZ government is Apicultural Advisory Officer,
not "Agricultural" Advisory Officer, as Mr. Patton states.

2.  The disease described by Dr. Liu identified in his November 1991
American Bee Journal article is "melanosis", not "melanoius" as Mr.
Patton states.

3.  The disease "melanosis" was not included in the list of bee diseases
present in New Zealand included in my April 19, 1996 posting because
Dr. Liu's article did not state that the causitive organism of melanosis had
been isolated, either in NZ bees, or in NZ queens introduced into Candian
hives.  While the title of the article identifies melanosis as a disease, and
while Bailey and Ball in their work Honey Bee Pathology (2nd ed) state
that "a micro-organism of a primitive type appearing to be transitional
between yeasts and fungi has been found in the melanized (blackened)
patches of epithelial tissue that surround nurse- and egg-cells of ovaries
and the poison sac and rectum in queens", Dr. Liu did not state that the
condition he found in some NZ queens was in fact caused by any
specific organism.  He stated that he found melanization (tissuing
blackening) in the queens, but makes no mention of isolating any
causative organism causing the melanization.  Melanization is a a natural
defense of insects against micro-organisms and/or tissue wounds, and
can be caused by a number of factors.  Melanization has been reported
in queen bees in many areas of the world, and in my experience (both in
NZ and Canada) can be found most often in aging queens.

4. Mr. Patton's states that all the old time beekeepers he has interviewed
doubt that NZ is free of EFB.  I am unsure as to what evidence these
persons have for such a claim.  However, the statement I made in my
posting of April 19, 1996, that New Zealand is free of European
foulbrood is based on a sound surveillance programme.   Government
apiculture personnel inspect 500 apiaries throughout NZ each year, with
the apiaries chosen for their proximity to risk areas.  Government
apiculture personnel also carry out surveillance for the disease
whenever they inspect beehives for any other reason (such as AFB
inspection, export certification and pollination hive audits).  Any suspect
larvae are analysed microscopically at a government bee disease
diagnostic laboratory, and those with Streptococcus-like particles are
cultured to make a definitive diagnosis.  All government apiculture
personnel are fully trained in visual diagnosis of EFB symptoms, including
familiarisation training in a country where EFB occurs (Australia, US,
etc).  The surveillance system is audited and subject to review by
recognised overseas government agriculture officials and beekeeping
industry representatives.

5. Mr. Patton states that the "claim that NZ is free of EFB has in the past
been an effective zoosanitary trade barrier which has been an effective
trade and economic tool for the NZ honeybee industry as this claim
prevents any honeybees, honey and or used equipment from entering
NZ".  As I made clear in my posting of April 19, 1996, imports of
honeybees, honey and other bee products are allowed entry into NZ
provided they are determined to have a low risk of introducing exotic
honey bee diseases.  Millions of dollars of such products are imported
into NZ each year.
---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ ... The bee, dost thou forget?

---

From: Nick Wallingford <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 14:47:04 -0700

> *FYI* Official NZ Government reaction to beekeepers post in the

It isn't 'official' and it isn't from the 'NZ Government', but apart from that, you 
got it right...

Cliff Van Eaton is employed by MAF Quality Management, the 'operational' arm of the 
Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries.  

He most certainly does not speak on behalf of the NZ Government.  He does not even 
speak for MAF Regulatory Authority, who develop and administer the policies related 
to agriculture.

Nick Wallingford
NZ National Beekeepers Assn President
home [email-masked]
work [email-masked]