Subject: Re: Anaphylaxis happens

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:19:00 GMT

*Crossed posted from the b-list because some of you may bee interested.

                    ----------------------------------------
BM>From: Bill Miller <[email-masked]>
  >Date:         Thu, 28 Mar 1996 18:37:52 -0500
  >Subject:      Re: Anaphylaxis happens

BM>As a beekeeper who does keep a (probably out of date) Epi-pen in my bee tool
  >pail, I am curious as to just what the shelf life and storage conditions are
  >for the things.

Hi Bill,

Ask your friendly druggist...we beekeeper's do know it all but
sometime's don't have it all together. Your health is worth whatever
the cost to keep it, don't rely on beekeepers for health advice,
always's get a second professional opinion...

BM>Fortuantely, I have never had the need to use the one in my pail, but as one
  >who had been declared sensitized to stings from assorted insects (including
  >honeybees), I still consider an Epi-pen in the bee tool pail desirable.

To have one of these in your possession without a prescription in
California can get a beekeeper some hard time on a felony convection.

It is so bad here that several years ago I rushed a person who was going
into shock from one bee sting 20 miles at 100 mph to the nearest town
and found a drug store that was open only to have them refused to sell
us one of these epi-pens which the guy had forgot to bring with him.

Lucky for us a doctors office was just a block away and the doctor was
still in. The guy was so far gone he was like a limp rag and needed help
getting into the doctors office. He was given a double dose by the doc,
who was really afraid the guy was going to die right in his office.
What a mess that would have been, killing a beekeeper is not easy but
to clean up after one is a real job. A hour later we were back on the
road. No worse from the experience just $70 lighter and a lot wiser.<G>

Good to read you have been desensitized, it is really worth the pain
to get the treatments and I had two in the family who went through
it for years and no longer have any problems. They do get stung
once in awhile to check it out. For the $20 every week for a year
it better still work. I don't charge them for the bee they use.<G>

I was lucky, when I started keeping bees you died or became a bee
man. One sting anywhere on the head would close both of my eyes for
hours. I never will forget the horror in my mother face the first
time she saw me after I got stung because  I could not just sit
and watch the bees come and go from my first hive without putting
my noise into the beehive that really was not the ideal pet.

After I started working in the bees commercially I always's got it just
about noon on saturdays when ever I was planning a trip home which was
several hours away in my old model A. I would end up having to stop and
sleep from trying to hold my swollen eyes open. After a hour or so the
swelling would go down and I could make it home for the weekend.

The good news I did not die and after many thousands of stings over
several years I stopped swelling up. It still hurts like heck,
especially on areas of the skin that are tight or normally not exposed
to the daylight. I really feel for anyone who has to worry about bee
stings.
                        ttul Andy-

(c) Permission is granted to freely copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)Opinions are not necessarily facts. Use at own risk.

---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ ... It had need to bee