Subject: Bumblebees

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Jun 1996 03:14:49 GMT

Hi,

I need a brief description  of how a bumblebee flies.
Can you help.

Thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Edwards)
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 00:00:13 LOCAL

In article <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> writes:
>From: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Bumblebees
>Date: 8 Jun 1996 03:14:49 GMT

>I need a brief description  of how a bumblebee flies.

Well, not exactly - - - but if you are referring to the old saw about "the 
scientist proves the bumblebee cannot fly, but the bee doesn't know, so keeps 
on flying", I might. It's my understanding that this saying was based on an 
early aerodynamics paper published in the 20's or 30's, in which the 
mathematics were based on a rigid wing for the bee. Too bad, because the bee's 
wing cups in flight, giving more lift.
               Your USDA in action, on my own time and computer,
                                            John Edwards, Tucson, Arizona

---

From: "Victor C. Rimkus" <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jun 1996 13:52:54 GMT

The way it was explained to me:

Bumblebees fly forward by going Buzz, Buzz, Buzz ...
Bumblebees fly backwards by going zzuB, zzuB, zzuB ...

I've got to keep a light heart. We have a major drought here in New 
Mexico and the bees are not bringing in any nectar. Pollen seems to be OK 
but there may not be any honey this year. So the anticipated routine for 
this fall is Feed, Feed, Feed ...

Pray for rain!

Victor C. Rimkus

---

From: Stuart Marlatt <marlatt>
Date: 10 Jun 1996 18:01:46 GMT

>                                            John Edwards, Tucson, Arizona

I don't recall the reference off hand, but I believe that a Sci. American 
a few years ago looks at this problem. Apparently, the main source of lift
for the bee is vortex creation on the upper surface as the wings are rapidly
separated on the downstroke. Unlike birds, the wings are brought very close
together above the bee's body, and when separated, initiate a relatively
strong vortical flowfield - thus lower pressure atop the wing, and thus lift.

You might also look into the Ann. Review of Fluid Mechanics over the past
decade or so. Also the Journal of Fluid Mech might have an article or two.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The perfection of means and the confusion of ends seems
to be our problem.
                 - Alfred Einstein
.............................................................................
s.w. marlatt, phd <><  &  *(:-)           Prov. 25.2
Lockheed Martin Astronautics              [email-masked]   
M/S DC3003, P.O. Box 179                  (303) 971-6629
Denver, CO 80201                          (303) 971-6934 (fax)
URL: http://liszt.den.mmc.com/docs/swm/swm_home.html   (firewall!)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:18:00 GMT

>From: "Victor C. Rimkus" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: Bumblebees

>honeybees fly forward by going Buzz, Buzz, Buzz ...
>honeybees fly backwards by going zzuB, zzuB, zzuB ...

One of Prof. Norman Gary's favorite jokes, you know the Norman
Gary from Nuton's Apple.<G>

>this fall is Feed, Feed, Feed ...

Sorry to hear that, but it is the same in Arizona, and much of Texas.
Do you get the monsume summer rains and a shot at late summer or fall
flowers and honey?

>Pray for rain!

If all my prayer's for rain were answered we would all bee perched on
some mountain waiting for the water to go down, but I will add a little
extra for you anyway..
                           ttul Andy-

---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ ... To sway its silent chimes, else must the bee,