Subject: Re: Bee Swarms

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 12 Mar 1996 00:55:09 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Tim Greenstreet) writes:
>
>What are the Major reasons for Bee's to Swarm?
>
   
   Swarming is the natural way for bees to reproduce.  When the hive gets
crowded, about half the bees will leave with the old queen, and often
several virgin queens, as well.  The remnant is left, also with some
virgin queens, or nearly ready queen cells.

   While it is natural, it is a poor beekeeper who lets his bees swarm, if
he can help it. When they swarm, you may not be there to catch them.  Or
they may be in the top of a fifty-foot tree, where you can't catch them.

   That's akin to the cattle grower, who lets his calves run off, and get
lost in the woods.

   If you keep up with this bulletin board, or with the bee-list mailing
group, you'll hear plenty of discussion on how to prevent swarming.  The
most important factor is to keep young queens, no more than a year old. 
Queens are programmed to swarm in the second year, and it's very difficult
to stop them.

  Also, do not let the brood nest get congested, particularly in swarm
season in your area (about 5-6 weeks from now, I'd guess).  Stay tuned.

[email-masked]  Dave Green  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway, SC   29554

[email-masked]                                   Dave Green
Dave's Pollination Service         Eastern Pollinator Newsletter
PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Greenstreet)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 96 07:32:58 PST

Tim Greenstreet		
			Catlett,Va.

---

From: Gisborne_Design <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 19:42:35 -0800

Tim Greenstreet wrote:
>                         Catlett,Va.The 2 most likely causes for swarming are overcrowding and poor 
ventilation. The bees need adequate room for both the brood chamber and
honey storage (the amount of room required changes with the season). If
the hive is in full sun in summer the hive is likely to be too hot for 
their liking, and if they are crowded, swarming is likely. Of course, 
swarming is their natural way to reproduce and some strains are more
prone to swarming than others.