Subject: Re: winter loss

From: Jon Camp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 15:01:27 GMT

George Ewald <[email-masked]> wrote:

>1.  did you determine the cause of failure?

Horrendous winter weather.  Snowstorm around Easter sid most of 
them in, most were still clustered around good sized brood nest.

>2.  did the hives fail in the fall or during the winter?

Late Spring.

>3.  if varroa, had you medicated with apistan?

Yup, 60 days, August through Sepetember.

>5.  do you suspect trachael mite?

Nope.  The package breeders have all but bred out the worst 
problems with trachael mite.  I've sent random samples out for 
testing for the past four years and they've come back with less 
than 3%, and no medication has been aplied.

>6.  did you use menthol or grease patties?

Nope, only "grease" patties I use are TM patties which do contain
vegetable shortening.

>7.  what about the ten percent that made it through?
>    how do you account for their durability?

Carniolan or Carniolan mix seem to be the best survivors as 
usual. If I knew what it was I would have made my fame and 
fortune years ago... 

                           Jon Camp

---

From: Thomerson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 18:32:17 +1000

Greetings,
We are a small chemical company dealing in unusual chemicals.
One of the items that we supply is Strychnine Sulfate which is used in 
skunk control. If you are interested please contact us at 
[email-masked] for further details.
Best regards,
Edward