Subject: Resistant Bee Stock

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 00:49:00 GMT

Someone asked about resistant stock. I could not find any new
information and would only recommend anyone buying such stock that
has a problem keep close watch on their bees. Here is what I found
>from  something called TEKTRAN.   ttul OLd Drone-

09/19/94                 Agricultural Research Service               Page     5
1
                 Technology Transfer Automated Retrieval System
                                 (ARS TEKTRAN)
Title:THE BREEDING, IMPORTATION, TESTING AND GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS
OF YUGOSLAVIAN HONEY BEES BRED FOR RESISTANCE TO VARROA JACOBSONI

RINDERER  THOMAS E                 BUCO  STEVEN M
DE GUZMAN  LILIA I
KULINCEVIC  JOVAN M
DELATTE  GARY T
BEAMAN  LORRAINE D

Technical Abstract:

A stock of honey bees was bred in Yugoslavia for resistance to the
parasitic mite, Varroa jacobsoni.  This stock was imported by the
USDA to the US and extensively tested in field trials in Florida.
These tests showed that the stock has some degree of resistance to
Varroa jacobsoni, a strong resistance to a second parasitic mite,
Acarapis woodi, which is also a relatively new and economically
troubling pest of honey bees in the US, and excellent general
beekeeping characteristics.

Submitted to:                                             (approved 11/25/92)
   AMERICAN BEE JOURNAL
THOMAS E RINDERER                  (504)766-6064          FTS 687-0277
1157 BEN HUR ROAD
BATON ROUGE, LA   70820            FAX Number: 504-389-0383
BATON ROUGE
LA 70803

-------------------------------2nd reference--------------------------

09/19/94                 Agricultural Research Service               Page     3
2
                 Technology Transfer Automated Retrieval System
                                 (ARS TEKTRAN)
Title:PRELIMINARY EVALUATION OF FOUR STOCKS OF APIS MELLIFERA ON THEIR
TOLERANCE TO VARROA JACOBSONI OUD.(ACARI: VARROIDAE)

DE GUZMAN  LILIA I
RINDERER  THOMAS E
DELATTE  GARY T

Technical Abstract:

Four genotypes of honey bees were evaluated for potential tolerance
to Varroa jacobsoni in northern Florida U.S.A.  Levels of
infestation of all four stocks were low throughout the experimental
period.  Louisiana, Yugoslavian, and Hastings genotypes had the
highest proportion of infested cells while Yugoslavian times
Hastings crosses maintained the lowest level of infestation.  Brood
and adult infestations increased in October as brood rearing
declined.  Highest infestations occurred in February, corresponding
with the onset of brood rearing.  Levels of Varroa jacobsoni
infestation on adult bees had three peaks:  during November when
brood areas declined, in January when little or no brood was
available and in April when the mite population was experimentally
established.  The lowest level of infestation was observed two
months after mite inoculation and during March and April when brood
rearing peaked.  The number of mites per infested cell and level of
infestation on adult bees were not influenced by bee geneotype.
Mite load ranged from 4-4.8 motes per infested cell.  Higher
numbers of dead mites were recorded on Louisiana and Yugoslavian
stocks and lower numbers of dead mites were counted on the Hybrid
and Hastings genotypes.

Significant differences in levels of brood infestations were
observed among the genotypes studied.  However, the ranking of
genotype was influenced by site, indicating strong genotype by
environmental interactions.

Submitted to:                                             (approved 08/17/92)

   PROCEEDINGS OF THE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ASIAN BEES AND BEE
MITES
THOMAS E RINDERER                  (504)766-6064          FTS 687-0277
1157 BEN HUR ROAD
BATON ROUGE, LA   70820            FAX Number: 504-389-0383
BATON ROUGE
LA 70803

---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ ... The bee, dost thou forget?