Subject: Re: Buckwheat pollination

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 11 Mar 1996 06:23:06 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Peter
Murphy) writes:

>Subject:	Buckwheat pollination
>
>Has anyone any information on the benifits, or otherwise, of honeybee 
>pollination on buckwheat yield?
> 

   McGregor cites a study that said that where five honeybee colonies per
hectare were present 80.4 percent of the seeds set, but with only one
colony per hectare, the set was only 57.8 percent.

   He also cited another study, which used saturation pollination of three
colonies per acre, and obtained 1250 to 1500 lbs per acre.

McGregor, Insect Pollination of Cultivated Crop Plants  USDA  1976.

[email-masked]  Dave Green, PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC  29554
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

[email-masked]                                   Dave Green
Dave's Pollination Service         Eastern Pollinator Newsletter
PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554