Subject: Almond Production, 06.28.96

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:04:00 GMT

From: ERS Maintenance People <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 96 15:15:42 EDT
Subject: Almond Production, 06.28.96

Almond Production

Released June 28, 1996, by the National Agricultural Statistics Service
(NASS), Agricultural Statistics Board, U.S. Department of Agriculture.  For
information on "Almond Production" call Linda McMillan at (202) 720-4215,
office hours 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET.  For assistance with general
agricultural statistics, information about NASS, its products or services,
contact the NASS Information Hotline at 1-800-727-9540 or E-mail:
[email-masked].

          Almond Production Up 43 Percent From Last Year

California's 1996 almond production is forecast at 530 million meat pounds, up
2 percent from May's subjective forecast and up 43 percent from last year's
crop.  This forecast is based on an estimated bearing acreage of
410,000 acres.  Production from the Nonpareil variety is forecast at
250 million meat pounds, up 52 percent from last season.

The average nut set per tree is 5,482, up 45 percent from 1995.  The Nonpareil
average nut set is 4,963, an increase of 29 percent over the previous year's
set.  The average kernel weight for all varieties sampled was 1.85 grams, down
3 percent from last year.  A total of 97.0 percent of the nuts sampled were
sound.

Statewide, bloom reports varied from good to excellent.  Cold weather and
intermittent rain storms during February and March hampered pollination.

            Almonds:  Bearing Acreage, Yield and Utilized Production,
                     California, 1994-95 and Forecasted 1996
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    :       Bearing Acreage       :       Yield per Acre
        State       :----------------------------------------------------------
                    :  1994  :  1995  :   1996    :  1994  :  1995  :   1996
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    :---------- Acres ----------    --------- Pounds --------
                    :
CA                  :409,000  400,000    410,000    1,800     925       1,290
                    :----------------------------------------------------------
                    :                    Utilized Production
                    :----------------------------------------------------------
                    :       1994        :       1995        :       1996
                    :----------------------------------------------------------
                    :                       1,000 Pounds
                    :
CA (Shelled basis)  :      735,000             370,000             530,000
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ft Nt 7 (6-96)

The next "Almond Production" report will be released in June 1997.

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in
its programs on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age,
disability, political beliefs, and marital or familial status.  Persons with
disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program
information (braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact the USDA
Office of Communications at (202) 720-5881 (voice) or (202) 720-7808 (TDD).

To file a complaint, write the Secretary of Agriculture, USDA, Washington,
D.C., 20250, or call (202) 720-7327 (voice) or (202) 720-1127 (TDD).  USDA is
an equal employment opportunity employer.

                         SUBSCRIBE TODAY!!

For your convenience, there are several ways to obtain NASS reports,
data products, and services:

                          INTERNET ACCESS

All NASS reports are now available free of charge on the worldwide Internet.
For access, connect to the Internet and select:

          1.         Worldwide Web:
                      http://www.usda.gov/nass/       OR
          2.         For Gopher/Telenet/FTP access:
                      HOST=usda.mannlib.cornell.edu        OR
          3.         For a subscription direct to your e-mail address,
                      send an e-mail message to:
                      [email-masked]
                     and in the body of the message type the word:  list

                 PRINTED REPORTS OR DATA PRODUCTS
CALL OUR TOLL-FREE ORDER DESK:   1-800-999-6779 (U.S. and Canada)
Other areas, please call l-703-834-0125  FAX:  1-703-834-0110
(Visa, MasterCard, check, or money order acceptable for payment.)

                            ASSISTANCE
For assistance with general agricultural statistics or further information
about NASS or its products or services, contact the NASS INFORMATION HOTLINE
at 1-800-727-9540, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or e-mail: [email-masked].
---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ þ Timer Malfunction! The sun went behind the clouds!