Subject: Three questions about natural V-mite control?

From: "Victor C. Rimkus" <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Apr 1996 14:58:47 GMT

I remember seeing somewhere that Neem (a natural product) can be used for 
control of varroa mites. Does anyone know how it is diluted and applied? 
Does anyone know where there is more information on this?

Another related question; How does this new Varroa Mite solution advertized 
work? This is the stuff that has a petrolium jelly base and natural herbs. 
I got some and applied it to my hives but have not detected any mite fall?

I also remember reading about the use of wintergreen in sugar syrup for 
control of mites. Was this for varroa or treacheal mites? I cannot find it 
in the local stores. Do you use extract or oil?

I am in need of a natural type of control because of the way seasons and 
honey flows run in my mountain desert climate. The fall flow from asters 
(my big harvest) can run clear up into December some years which makes 
treatment in the fall too late to prevent some colonies from crashing. This 
also makes the fall treatment with Apistan end at about the same time the 
spring treatment should begin. I cannot see any sense in applying 
consecutive Apistan treatments.

Thanks for any help or references.

Victor C. Rimkus, Albuquerque NM USA
[email-masked]

---

From: "Theodore V. Fischer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 1996 12:28:30 -0500

Regarding restance to varroa mites:  This spring at the Michigan 
Beekeepers meeting, Dr. Roger Hoopingarner reported on his ongoing 
research into varroa resistance in bees.  He looked at 1) grooming 
behavior (where bees pick off and bite mites from each other) 2) 
hygienic behavior (where bees open and dispose of dead or dying brood) 
3) time span of sealed worker brood and 4) varroa populations within 
the hive during the course of the bee's active season.  He found that 
whereas there is evidence for increased grooming and hygienic behavior 
in different populations of bees, the only factor that really made a 
difference in to category 4 was the time length of sealed brood.  It 
had to be less than 180 hours, and as 160 hours was approached, the 
varroa population was down to less than the controls given Apistan. 
(This is all from my memory - I didn't take notes.  So I could be off 
somewhat in details.)

About the timing for Apistan where the major honey flow is in late 
fall:  I would apply the strips earlier.  Take off the supers in a 
period of lesser or no flow and put in the strips.  After 45 days, but 
in time for your aster flow, put the supers back on again.  It might 
be a lot of extra work, but cleaning out 75% of one's hives is even 
worse.  (I should know - I'm doing it now!)

---

From: [email-masked] (Hans-Ulrich THOMAS)
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 1996 22:47:18 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, "Victor C. Rimkus"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>honey flows run in my mountain desert climate.

Victor,

Read the March issue of the "American Bee Journal". It has a good article
about alternative Varroa control in it. I do exactly what is explained
there and had much success with it.

Good luck and few Varroas!

Hans

-- 
____________________________________________________
Hans-Ulrich THOMAS. Beekeeper & collector of books about:

- bees and beekeeping
- ants (yes these small little buggers!)
- nature printing

e-mail: [email-masked]
CompuServe: 100045,2556
Fax: +41 1 633 10 77
____________________________________________________