Subject: Pesticides

From: [email-masked] (Tim Greenstreet)
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 96 15:45:36 EST

I have 15 Peace trees located near my Bee Yard,What 
should I use to Ride them of Pest's and not harm my bee's ?

			Tim

---

From: "Theodore V. Fischer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 1996 10:18:11 -0500

I think that the very safest control would be to get some insect 
pheromone and set up baits and lures in your peach trees.  With them 
it is necessary to hang colored balls coated with a sticky substance 
such as Tanglefoot.  Peach borers I am quite sure would be easily 
attracted and caught with this method.  You can get this sort of thing 
>from  gardeners catalogs (such as Gurney's, and many others).  It will 
not attract bees at all, nor kill them except the one or two that 
blunder onto the sticky balls.

I have twenty hives of bees in an orchard in southeastern Michigan 
(USA) and have worked for many years with the orchardist to 
successfully raise both bees and fruit on the same land.  It works!

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 3 Apr 1996 08:15:14 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Tim

>should I use to Ride them of Pest's and not harm my bee's ?

   Peace = Peaches?
   Your bees will not be harmed, if you do not poison their food supply,
or the field bees working on flowers.  Therefore you never spray
insecticides during the bloom of the peaches.

   Don't let weeds bloom around the trees, because they could draw bees.
I've seen mustard, clover and various mints in orchards, which should not
be allowed to grow there. 

   Before spraying, read label directions.  If the material is toxic to
bees, directions will prohibit application while bees are foraging.  Check
to see if they are visiting any flowers under the trees..  If there is no
bloom that is drawing them, they won't be there, and they won't contact
the poison.  If you find some weed blooming, that you didn't expect, a
mowing to clip the flowers just before application will also work.

[email-masked]                                   Dave Green
Pollination Home Page     http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html  
PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554