Subject: Re: Yet another Newbie

From: "Theodore V. Fischer" <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jan 1996 19:44:15 GMT

[email-masked] (Joseph Jucha) wrote:

> I am reluctant to seek out local beekeepers, those I have run into, in my 
>area, are a rather tightknit group and I have little time for politics...I'd 
>rather spend them with my plant and apis friends... What is *THE* 
>comprehensive book?  

I agree with another posted response, that "The Hive and the Honey Bee"
is the best and most comprehensive book.  However, there are many others
which are in various degrees less technical.  Check out the beekeeping 
section of your local library: one you may find useful is something like
"A Year in the Beeyard", which, though not the exact title, will help
you get a feel for what should be done throughout the year.  Read every
book you can get your hands on - then you will get a "feel" for what
happens in the apiary.

Although it may be difficult getting to know local beekeepers, I would recommend that you get in touch with your local or state beekeeper's
association.  They usually have regular (annual, semiannual) meetings,
which can be the source of much important and timely information.

Good luck.

Ted Fischer

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph Jucha)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 96 07:06:05 GMT

Here I stand.
 
 Over the last few months I firmly decided to attempt to 'keep' bees. I 
ordered the little buggers, so I am commited.
 Having more money than brains ( not a great feat ) I decided to dump the 
concept of a 'beginner's kit. I am following the boiled down versions of Roger 
Morse and a (excuse me can't QUITE recall ) Mr Vivian (?).
 I have obtained a number of mail order catalogs ( Brushy Mtn, Kelley, Root ) 
and have determined what SHOULD be needed. 
 I have been lurking here for some time and have observed various medications 
being discused and discarded. My question is one you have answered many times, 
 I am reluctant to seek out local beekeepers, those I have run into, in my 
area, are a rather tightknit group and I have little time for politics...I'd 
rather spend them with my plant and apis friends... What is *THE* 
comprehensive book?

---

From: [email-masked] (Droneboy)
Date: 25 Jan 1996 13:03:14 -0500

> rather spend them with my plant and apis friends... What is *THE* 

"The" one comprehensive book I have is Dadant's, "The Hive and the
Honeybee."
It is far more comprehensive then I will ever put to use but nontheless a
very 
good book. I must add though that no book will take the place completely
of
information you can obtain by talking with other beekeepers. I too have
found
tieing in with local beekeepers in my area not to work for me but do keep
up via email with beekeepers from other areas. I'm sure others can suggest
"their" favorite comprehensive book.

-Barry

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Hough)
Date: 26 Jan 1996 22:24:04 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Joseph
Jucha) queried:

>What is *THE* comprehensive book?  

Ditto earlier responses regarding "The Hive and the Honeybee" - that is
the "beekeepers bible" (IMHO) It is an excellent reference book, but very
large and intimidating. For a good starting place, I like Richard Bonney's
two books, although the titles escape me at the moment. Our county beekeeping
organization has used his books as the text for our beginning beekeeping
class, and they seem well received.

****************************************************
* Rick Hough             * email: [email-masked] *
* TASC                   * Phone: (617) 942-2000   *
* 55 Walkers Brook Drive * FAX:   (617) 942-7100   *
* Reading, MA 01867      *                         *
****************************************************
--Insert standard disclaimer here--

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Hough)
Date: 27 Jan 1996 21:17:26 GMT

Follow-up on Richard Bonney's books (I looked last night...)

"Hive Management : A Seasonal Guide for Beekeepers",
Richard E. Bonney, 1990, Garden Way Publishing
ISBN 0-88266-637-1 (pbk.)

"Beekeeping : A Practical Guide",
Richard E. Bonney, 1993, Garden Way Publishing
ISBN 0-88266-861-1 (pb)

I really like Dick's writing style - I find his work to be very
informative, and enjoyable reading too! 

Rick
A New England beekeeper with 20 colonies (last time I checked)

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 29 Jan 1996 13:17:38 GMT

I like to recommend _The Beekeeper's Handbook_, by Diana Sammataro and
Alphonse Avitable, Collier, 1986, ISBN # 0-02-081410-0.

This might be hard to find, as it's out of print but I hear a new edition
is on the way. Diana Sammataro is on the net somewhere...maybe she'll fill
us in.

Adam
-- 
_________________
Adam Finkelstein                    
[email-masked]