Subject: Neem treatment/mites

From: [email-masked] (Kirk & Sharon Jones)
Date: 7 Mar 1996 22:52:45 GMT

There was an article on research regarding neem(bio-pesticide grown in
India)in the American Bee Journal last fall. The researchers were using
Neem oil in the form of Margosan-O. Evidently the bees did very well in
terms of honey production, etc. I believe the application was 6 ml fed in
syrup.

We fed some hives last fall and are looking forward to examining the hives
as soon as the snow pack is down.

Plans are to continue with the treatment on 50 to 100 units (off-season to
prevent contamination) this spring.

We have tried homeopathic remedies, in the form of bio-plasma and silica.
It's difficult to measure success.

Wintering losses have been at about 15% the last few years. Can't complain
for a northern climate(north Michigan).

The mint family oils look promising. We'll try some this year in
conjuction with apistan. We're still doing menthol in late spring/early
summer.

If anyone has had any ideas in regards to mite control/research, please
e-mail me at [email-masked]