Subject: Best Method of Wax Rendering

From: [email-masked] (GaretL)
Date: 9 Sep 1996 22:03:21 -0400

To all:
I have a surplus of old frames in bad condition that I would like to
render into wax.  A solar melter won't work for this project because of
the number of frames involved and the fact that I have the most time to
work when it is cold and rainy.  What is the best method for rendering
using my kitchen stove or other household device?  Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Garet Livermore
Burlington, Vermont

---

From: Bill Fernihough <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Sep 1996 05:47:31 GMT

You didn't say how many, 50 or 1,000 frames?  If you get lots of sun, a 
few solar melters will clean them up fast.  If you must do it when its 
cold and rainy, I suggest an old barbecue placed well away from any 
building, with trays to catch the wax, and be sure it doesn't leak into 
the flame.  Too dangerous to do near any building or enclosure. 
Alternately, break the wax out of the frames, put it in a pot with some 
water, put in on a stove and as the water heats up the wax well melt.  
Pour the mess through a window screen into another pot, leave it alone 
to settle out.  You may have to do this a few times, but about the third 
try, you well have reasonable good wax.  You can wash the grit off the 
bottom under a hot water tap each time, not too much wax is lost this 
way.
You will find solar melting a lot cheaper.  I happened to have some wood 
boxes available, old drawers in fact, that were about 6 inches deep, and 
I painted them black inside.  About 8 frames or so would fit in each 
box, and with a piece of glass over them, they got hot enough in about 
an hour, that the wax melted off the frames.  I discovered two things, 
one, is that if the drawer is too deep, it only works on the top of the 
box, the bottom doesn't get hot enough, and secondly, most melting 
occurred between 11:00 am and 5:00 pm.  Now, I work during those hours, 
so I just filled them up every night, and over a couple of weeks, 
managed to melt out about 20 supers.  
No cost, and actually less work, as the dross seemed to stay in one 
spot, but if you put a sllight slope on the box, the wax ran to the 
bottom, and didn't take the impurities with it.
Good luck.

---

From: Dave Black <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 14:33:52 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, GaretL <[email-masked]>
writes
>render into wax.  A solar melter won't work for this project 

Wax vapour is flamable so a direct flame is inadvisable. I would make an
electric double boiler. Take one oil or paint drum and fit it with an
electric kettle element. Find another container that will fit inside and
fit it inside. Put water in the first and wax in the second. Switch on
and get the water up to boiling etc etc, skim of the dross etc etc. OK,
this account lacks detail and refinements like a thermostatic switch but
I'm sure you get the picture. I can't spell baine marie.

-- 
Dave Black
Blacks Bee Gardens, 
Guildford, GU1 4RN.  UK.

---

From: [email-masked] (Allen Dick)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 13:05:42 GMT

The *very* best method of wax rendering, and one which will not 
contribute to the wax fire statistics is to find a good renderer and 
send your comb there for rendering.

Chances are you'll get more wax at less cost -- and much less danger 
and hassle.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                    VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada  T0M 1Y0
    Honey, Bees, & Art <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka/>

---

From: Dave MacFawn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 12:49:03 GMT

I use a  very large pot, large enough for the frames to fit in,
fill the pot part way with water (enough to cover the frame with
comb when the frame is inserted into the pot) to melt the wax. 
When all the wax is melted off the frames, the water/wax mixture
can be strained thru some fine screen/hardware cloth to get out
the debris with the resulting liquid going into a plastic pan
for cooling.

This works well for me.

Be careful of fire with the beeswax.

>==========GaretL, 9/9/96==========
>
>To all:

dave macfawn
AT&T Global Information Solutions
[email-masked]
(803) 939-7409

---

From: Glenn Erwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:27:58 -0700

GaretL wrote:
> Burlington, VermontAn old refrigrator equiped with two 75 watt light bulbs will work quiet 
well. If you want to get fancy you can add a thermostat and use heat 
lamps and really spead up the process.The trays serve to hold the frames 
and a funnel is easily made to direct the melted wax to a plastic dishpan 
to collect the melted wax.