Subject: Carniolan Bees

From: [email-masked] (MPCEnter)
Date: 9 Sep 1996 01:34:51 -0400

Hello!

I'm planning on starting my first hive(s) in the spring.  In the mean
time, I have been doing tons of reading, and am plan to join my local
beekeeping association at their next meeting later this month.  In my
reading, all of the books have stated that Carniolan bees are extremely
gentle, which is leading me to want to go with that type of bee.  Any
comments?  I'd appreciate the assistance since I've never kept bees
before, but seem to have caught the bug, er... BEE!

Thanks!

Mary

---

From: [email-masked] (Joel Govostes)
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 07:19:08 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (MPCEnter)

> before, but seem to have caught the bug, er... BEE!

Hi Mary.  This is somewhat of a common gerneralization.  There are very
gentle Italian bees and cross Caucasian or Carniolan ones.  Each colony
has its disposition.  Carniolans (i.e., New World Carniolans, bred in the
US) are in my experience as gentle as most of the Italians, or vice-versa,
and pleasant to work with.  Maybe others can confirm from their
experiences.  The carnies do tend to have smaller colonies,
population-wise and winter with a smaller cluster, which is a plus (don't
eat as much).  Italians often keep rearing brood right into the fall,
whereas carniolans tend to "shut down" earlier and store honey in the
brood area for winter.  In these respects they are ideal for use in the
north. In addition, they are particularly good for comb honey, as they
normally cap the honey combs evenly with a brilliant white appearance.
Since it's best to start with two or three colonies, why not try some
carniolans and also a hive or two of Italians for your own comparisons?  I
would shy away from Caucasians - they are usually very gentle but they gum
up the hive with propolis (plant resins) excessively and this makes
manipulations difficult.  One last point - carnies have developed a
reputation for being bad swarmers as compared to Italians. Can't say I've
noticed; You might contact Dr. Susan Cobey at Ohio State Univ., who is
involved in the New World Carniolan breeding program.  She is the
authority on these critters.  Good luck..  JWG.

---

From: "MIDNITEBEE" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Sep 1996 17:59:57 GMT

I have some inner covers,which are glass,instead of wood. Are there any pro
or cons?

---

From: [email-masked] (Joel Govostes)
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 19:21:13 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,

> I have some inner covers,which are glass,instead of wood. Are there any pro

Pros - you can see the cluster (in winter especially) without disturbing
them.  This lets you see right away if they are safely in contact with
food stores.

You can judge the hive population or degree of crowding without ripping
off the roof of their home.

Con I guess is the fact that they are breakable and therefore possibly
dangerous. You can't bang the bees off like with a regular inner cover.
They are also impervious to water vapor so you'd have to provide a
vent/hole for warm moist air to escape.

---

From: [email-masked] (Tracy Aquilla)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 11:32:42 GMT

In Article <[email-masked]>,
>I have some inner covers,which are glass,instead of wood. Are there any pro

No problem. Many studies have indicated it doesn't affect the bees.
Tracy