Subject: Allergic reaction precaution

From: "Theodore V. Fischer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 14:34:52 -0500

"Stuart L. Morris" [email-masked]> writes
> >I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to
> >post my first question....
> >
> >My wife and I are thinking about keeping bees. We have
> >two small children (both under 2 years) and a history
> >of asthma in both families.
> >
> >I'd be interested to hear from people with experience
> >of health problems affected, either improved or made
> >worse, by exposure to bees (ok, being stung is an obvious
> >risk but that has been covered in some depth in this
> >group, i'm thinking more of mites and propolis etc.)
> >

Even though you don't really ask about bee sting risks, there is
a considerable amount of medical evidence in the literature that
suggests the persons having asthma or other allergic conditions
may be more sensitive than the average person to bee stings.  A
higher proportion of these people may also develop the dangerous 
generalized allergic reaction (anaphylaxis).  I say this not to
discourage you, but to encourage you (and any others out there)
to get a prescription from your doctor for an injectible 
epinephrine solution (Epipen, or the like) and keep it with you 
at all times in the beeyard.  It can save a life.

---

From: Steve Bambara <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Mar 1996 12:53:00 GMT

>at all times in the beeyard.  It can save a life.

Stuart,
	I like Theodore's comment about the epinephrine kit.  
	Regarding the mites and propolis in relation to allergies, that seems 
incredibly 
remote that those would give you a problem.  I think setae (bee hair)
would be a more likely culprit. There has been some indication that
spouses of beekeepers are slightly more likely to develop sensitivity
to bee stings.  We don't know exactly why, but there is some conjecture.
One thing you can do is wash the clothes you use to work your bees 
seperately from the general laundry.
	I'll repeat what Theodore said, this information shouldn't scare you.
I don't think the probabilities of anything coming from this (other
than stings) is greater than anything else you could do.  If you are
really worried, have your family tested for honey bee venom sensitivity
before you start.  If you do this, make sure it is HONEY BEE venom and 
not other stinging insects.  If you still want to keep bees, you can
go through desensitization.

***************************************************************
Steve Bambara  Dept. of Entomology, Box 7626, Raleigh, NC 27695
[email-masked]    (919) 515-1661    fax (919) 515-7273

---

From: "Theodore V. Fischer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 09:37:24 -0500

I thought I'd post here a little research I did this morning and 
posted on the BEE-L, regarding the stability of Epipen.

A quick check of the Physician's Desk Reference (PDR) doesn't really 
say anything about the shelf life of Epi-pen.  However, it does give 
the following warnings:
1) It is light sensitive.  Keep the self injector in the protective 
tube provided.
2) It is sensitive to temperature extremes.  Keep it at room 
temperature (15-30 degreesC/59-86 degreesF).  This means do not 
refrigerate or leave in your glove compartment to freeze in the winter 
and cook in the summer.
3) Check to make sure that the solution is not discolored (it should 
be clear) and contain no precipitate (flocculate material).

Since I must confess to not keeping its temperature that well 
controlled, I routinely get a new prescription for Epi-pen every 
spring.

---

From: Steve Bambara <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Apr 1996 13:19:17 GMT

>controlled, I routinely get a new prescription for Epi-pen every 

I believe that keeping it in the refrigerator is okay.  Of course, if 
you go out without it and it is left in the refrigerator, that will not
help you.
	Freezing and high temperatures like those encountered when left
in a vehicle would not be good for it.  The primary indicator is that 
the epinephrine is still CLEAR, and not cloudy.  For best results,
replace it after the expiration date.  All epi-pens, kits, or vials 
should have an expiration date.  Have the pharmacist order a new one
for you each time so you get the latest date.

---

From: [email-masked] (Del Stanton)
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 1996 06:03:58 GMT

My response is inserted in the quoted text.  -  Del Stanton

>> >group, i'm thinking more of mites and propolis etc.)

The worst sting I ever had came on top of a 4 or 5 day old case
of extensive posion oak attach on my arms and face.  My hand was
stung, also the inside of my forearm on the same side.  My had
swelled like an inflated rubber glove and around the sting on my
arm the flesh became quite hard.  I thought  this would sensitize
me to bee stings and that I would have to give up my hive.  I
avoided stings for about a year and when I was stung again I had
no adverse reaction.

As I write this I wonder if I was foolish not to seek medical
attention, but I just waited for the symptoms to subside.  I
imagine that the posion oak had reduced my ability to deal with
the bee sting.

>at all times in the beeyard.  It can save a life.

And finally - a closing signature,

Del Stanton   Burbank, California
[email-masked] (Lower case SDL, numeric 20)