Subject: Weak Hive

From: [email-masked] (SoftAnswer)
Date: 17 Jun 1996 20:07:45 -0400

I am new to beekeeping.  I now have two hives: the first was started about
2 months ago with part of a hive gathered from an old house that was
discovered when siding torn off.  Turns out there was a queen and the hive
is developing albeit slowly.  Three weeks ago I started a new hive with a
three pound package and it is thriving and almost ready for the 2nd super.
 These bees are robbing the feeder from the original hive, emptying it
twice as fast as  their own feeder.  The two hives are side by side four
feet apart.  My question is:  would it be okay to destroy the queen from
the original hive and move it to become the 2nd super for the new hive? 
Or would I be better off getting a new super and perhaps moving the weak
hive away?  Any thoughts will be appreciated.  Thanks.  

Wayne Brown

---

From: Dave Black <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 09:29:25 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, SoftAnswer
<[email-masked]> writes
>would it be okay to destroy the queen from

--Don't unite the weak colony onto your good one, yet. Figure out (or ask) why
its weak, it could be diseased and you don't want to spoil the good one. You
also want to stop the robbing. If you can move it away (3 miles) do so.
Otherwise make sure the boxes are completely bee-tight and close the entrance
right down to a couple of bees wide. This gives the weak colony a better chance
of defending against robbers. Feed in the evening when flying stops and use a
contact feeder. Consider using Fumadil in the feed as Nosema is a likely
culprit, check your brood pattern, test for both mites; FIND OUT WHY ITS WEAK. 
Dave Black

---

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Storey)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:53:45 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (SoftAnswer) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (SoftAnswer)
>Subject: Weak Hive
>Date: 17 Jun 1996 20:07:45 -0400

>Wayne Brown 

Wayne 
 One strong hive will get you more honey than will two weak ones.  I would 
destroy the queen and unite the two by placing newspaper between the two; weak 
hive on top.  One small, one-inch slit in the npaper will start the uniting 
without causing too much fighting.  However, be sure to get a second hive 
asap, if for no other reason (and there are quite a few) to compare each 
hive's progress.
Good luck,  Tom