Subject: honey separation and fermentation observed

From: [email-masked] (Stuart Wier)
Date: 25 Sep 1996 19:36:59 GMT

Early this year my honey from last year, in clear quart jars,
separated into a thick pale opaque mass in the lower half of
the jar and clear honey-colored liquid above. The liquid is 
thinner or less viscous than the original honey. The taste has
a little bite to it which suggests fermentation. The volume
increased slightly.

What happened?  How can I prevent it occuring?  Can I eat the 
old honey?

Stuart Wier
Boulder Colorado USA

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 27 Sep 1996 11:37:18 -0400

>What happened?  How can I prevent it occuring?  Can I eat the 

    Let's assume that the moisture level is about 18% in your honey, which
is dry enough to prevent fermentation.  Some sugar crystalizes out (the
cloudy layer at the bottom), which contains almost no water in it. This
means the top layer has become a little more diluted; perhaps it contains
25% water.  This is wet enough to ferment. 

    It could not have fermented too much, because a lot of fermentation
will blow up your jars. (Talk about a Mess!)  If they were unsealed they
would run over. Of course honey kept for a long time in unsealed
containers in humid weather will sop up water like a sponge, with the same
result.

   You can restore the crystallized honey by gentle heating, (microwave in
short bursts, or hot water bath).  Don't boil the honey, or you'll really
degrade it.

   I think after a little warming, you'll find it useable, though not as
good as new, of course.  If you get some frothing, skim off the froth.

    Badly fermented honey cannot be saved, not even to feed the bees (it
can give 'em disentery).  Yours doesn't sound too bad.  It's certainly
worth a try.

    For short term storage, keep honey at room temperature.  For long
term, keep it in the freezer.  Crystallization occurs fastest at
temperatures in between.

[email-masked]                                   Dave and Janice Green
Practical Pollination Home Page    
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html  
PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554