Subject: Re: Lop-sided hive

From: Ken K <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 13:21:52 -0400

Bill Fernihough wrote:
> 
> You probably put the top super on too soon.  You should only use one
> super until most of the frames are being used by the bees, then when
> say, 8 out of 10 of the frames are in use, put on another super.  Good
> practice all the way through unless there is a honey flow on, and you
> have lots of bees.
> Bees need it warm, heat rises, so using supers above existing ones is a
> natural effect. But when you have forced them to spread out, there are
> more bees, more heat, and both boxes will be evenly built.

Thanks for the information. I put both supers on when I hived the
package. I will know better next time.

Next question. Is the lop-sided hive going to have a problem surviving 
the winter here in Maryland and is there anything I can/should do about 
it?

Thanks,

Ken

---

From: Bill Fernihough <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Jul 1996 06:50:40 GMT

I would expect that if the hive is healthy, it won't be lop sided for 
long.  If you honey flow is still on, then the bees should still be 
increasing in number and by now, or soon, it should be full of bees.  
You may also be experiencing a weak hive problem here.  Can I suggest 
that you take a good look into how much brood you have, and how well the 
bees are doing.  How long ago did you start this hive?  Did you feed 
sugar syrup with Terramycin and Nosema medicine?  If you have, and bees 
look healthy, I would be tempted to just leave them alone now, and the 
hive should look after itself.  Once a week, check progress by simply 
taking the top off, looking to see if they are spreading out, and 
otherwise, don't remove frames, be as un intrusive as you can.
If there is no honey flow on, feed sugar syrup with terramycin and 
Nosema medicine every 14 days.  Don't let the sun get at the mixture at 
all.  Any little bit so sun destroys Terramycin instantly.