Subject: Re: Can bees run out of pollen?

From: Ted Fischer <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Oct 1995 13:08:44 GMT

Nate Saal <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I know that beekeepers often have to feed thier hives during the winter so
>that teh bees do not run out of honey/food, but has anybody ever supply their
>hives with pollen?
>
>I ask because I have a weak hive that is going into the winter (in CA, so
>it's on the milder side) and it has very little stored pollen.  The hive
>had a laying worker for about a month, during which most of the stored 
>pollen was used and the hive had little incentive to collect more since
>their numbers were down and very few laying worker eggs were being laid.
>
>I dumped the hive and installed a queen and by some miracle, the queen took.
>As happy as I am, after looking in the hive I worry why the queen is not 
>laying more eggs than she is.  Could it be that they don't have the pollen
>to feed the growing larva?  Most of the flowers have bloomed and died, so
>that, combined with small population problem, makes me wonder.
>
>Is this going to be a problem?  If so, is there any way to remedy it?
>
>thanks for the help,
>
>nate
>
Yes, substitute pollen patties are available from most bee supply stores and I feel it would be desirable to give it to your hive if you suspect that their pollen stores will not be adequate for the winter.  However, the reason the queen is not producing many eggs is probably because this is the normal season for her to curtail brood production until late winter.  If the hive is really small, you may have a problem overwintering it even if the winter is mild.  Try combining it with another hive, if you have one.