Subject: beekeeping ordinances

From: [email-masked] (Maxine Davi)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 01:11:21 -0600

I'm looking for examples of urban beekeeping ordinances.   My friend
(a beekeeper) is appearing before the Denver City Council to request 
that they establish a policy regarding beekeeping.  She would like to
be able to compare notes with other ordinances nationwide.  

If you know of where I could get a copy of an ordinance, please e-mail
me at [email-masked].  

Any help you can provide would be *greatly* appreciated.

Thanks!

Micki

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 20:01:00 GMT

M>I'm looking for examples of urban beekeeping ordinances.   My friend
 >be able to compare notes with other ordinances nationwide.

M>If you know of where I could get a copy of an ordinance, please e-mail
 >me at [email-masked].

                             HINT FOR THE HIVE #115

                    GOOD NEIGHBOR GUIDELINES AND ORDINANCES

        To be a beekeeper in the 1990s demands a good deal of public relations.
Honey bees sting and neighbors generally will not put up with stinging insects
near their living area.  A major problem in Florida during summer is bee
foraging at swimming pools.  Threat of proclamation of ordinances is very real
in most communities.  With the advent of publicity about the Africanized honey
bee, more pressure will be exerted on beekeepers to give up the activity.
Every beekeeper must, therefore, become the best of neighbors.  The following
are some suggested procedures to avoid potential problems that could evolve
into ordinances against keeping bees.

1.  Place colonies away from lot lines and occupied buildings.  If near
buildings, locate colonies away from used entrances and lines of foot traffic.

2.  Erect a six-foot barricade between the bees and lot line.  Use anything
bees will not pass through: dense shrubs, fencing.  An alternate solution may
be to place bees on a roof.  Anytime bees are flying close to the ground and
across the property line of a neighbor, there are potential problems.

3.  Provide a watering source.  If a natural water source is not located
nearby, and especially if swimming pools are in the vicinity, a tub of water
should be placed in the apiary with wood floats to prevent the bees from
drowning.  Water should be changed periodically to avoid stagnation and
mosquito breeding.

4.  Minimize robbing by honey bees.  Work the bees during nectar flows if
possible and keep exposed honey or sugar water to an absolute minimum.  Use
entrance reducers to prevent robbing of weak colonies.  Robbing bees are
usually aggressive and will be more likely to sting passersby.

5.  Prevent swarming.  Although swarming bees are the most gentle, the activity
and large, hanging ball of bees often alerts neighbors to beekeeping  and may
cause undue alarm.

6.  Keep no more than three or four beehives on a lot less than one-half acre.
If more colonies are desired, find a nearby farmer who will allow bees to be
kept on his/her land in exchange for some honey.

7.  Work bee colonies when neighbors are not in their yards.

8.  Requeen over defensive colonies.

9.  Give a pound or two of honey each year to the neighbors.

        If all else fails and ordinances are considered by the town or city
council, the following model can be looked to for guidance:

Section 1.  Location of Beehives and Other Enclosures

       It shall be unlawful for any person to locate, construct, reconstruct,
alter, maintain or use on any lot or parcel of land within the corporate
limits, any hives or other enclosures for the purpose of keeping any bees or
other such insects unless every part of such hive or enclosure is located at
least seventy-five (75) feet from a dwelling located on the adjoining property.

Section 2.  Number of Hives (Colonies of Bees) Regulated

        On lot sizes of 15,000 square feet or less, no more than four hives
(colonies of bees) will be permitted.  The hives shall be no closer than
fifteen feet from any property line.  On lots larger than 15,000 square feet
additional hives will be permitted on the basis of one (1) hive for each 5,000
square feet in excess of 15,000 square feet.

Section 3.  Type of Bees

        This ordinance shall pertain only to honey bees maintained in movable-
frame hives, and it does not authorize the presence of hives with non-movable
frames or feral honey bee colonies (honey bees in trees, sides of houses,
etc.).

Section 4.  Restrictions on Manipulating Bees

        The hives (colonies) of bees may not be manipulated between the hours
of sunset and sunrise unless the hives are being moved to or from another
location.

Section 5.  Penalty

        The violation of any provision of this ordinance shall constitute a
misdemeanor punishable upon conviction by a fine not exceeding fifty ($50)
dollars, or imprisonment not exceeding thirty (30) days; provided, that each
day that a violation exists or continues to exist shall constitute a separate
offense.

Section 6.  Effective Date

        This ordinance shall be effective from and after the ______of ______,
19__.

---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ HTTP://SUEBEE.COM