Subject: Re: News Story on Oil's for Mites

From: Dave Clayton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 14:08:44 -0400

Any idea where Amrine has posted these formulas on the Internet?

-- 
David Clayton, Interim Director       Internet: [email-masked]
Technical and Operational Services    Phone: (401) 874-4475
Office of Information Services        FAX: (401) 789-4040
U of Rhode Island; Kingston, RI 02881

---

From: [email-masked] (David J Trickett)
Date: 23 Aug 1996 02:56:18 GMT

I have ordered 4 oz of spearmint oil from Lorann Oils ($11.95 - should 
treat about 15 hives for two months) to conduct an immediate test on 5 
hives I purchased as nukes earlier this year from a southern apiary.  I 
also have a number of hives produced from splits from untreated survivors 
>from  last winter, and from swarms and removals I've done this summer.  
The managed stock came in 4 frame nukes complete with healthy bees, 
some mites, and apistan strips still in place.  They are doing well but 
are moderately infested. 

The feral stock have mites but in very, very low numbers.  Maybe it's just 
wishful thinking, but according to last years records my hives had far 
greater incidences of mites at this time.  As of now, I may find a single 
mite on a single bee (including workers even though there are still 
plenty of drones left) on a very crowded frame.  BTW, I am keeping bees 
purhcased from other apiaries (such as those above) segregated from each 
other and from the feral stock.  No point in mixing mites.

The plan is to conduct a test on the imported managed stock, see if the
oils work and then, after queen rearing from the feral stock, treating
these too.  I figure they may have some resistance but it may be
insufficient to actually get them through the winter.  I'd rather do what
I can (short of Apistan - did everyone see the clip on the European wax
pool being contaminated!!!) to get what I have through the winter
and then do the serious testing for natural resistance on next year's
survivors. 

I'll post the results (which I should have within 2 weeks).

Dave T.

---

From: spiderlily <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Aug 1996 21:19:11 GMT

Yes--where the heck are they?

Agni Bhaktarama

Carbonaria Honey Farm
Madhya Pradesh, India

---------------------------------------------------------------------
      .---.        .----------- 
     /     \  __  /    ------  
    / /     \(  )/    -----   
   //////   ' \/ `   ---	
  //// / // :    : ---	      What is mind?
 // /   /  /`    '--	       No matter.
//          //..\\	        What is matter?
       ====UU====UU====	         Never mind.
           '//||\\`				-Rev. Mahinda
             ''``
---------------------------------------------------------------------