Subject: Removing Propolis

From: [email-masked] (DVERVILLE)
Date: 20 Sep 1996 19:54:37 -0400

Reposting article removed by rogue canceller.

Over the past several weeks there has been some discussions on different
ways
to remove propolis. I sat by the computer just waiting for the secrets 
to be revealed. Naptha was mentioned as well as several others. 
I have tried lighter fluid in the past and it never really seemed to do
a good enough job.  There was always some that remained.  I was looking 
for that one chemical that would quickly and safely remove all of it!

I was very interested due to the fact that for
several years I have had observation hives that by the fall the "glass" 
is quite dirty and distracting. Judges at the fair have commented that
a dirty hive loses points.

To remove the propolis I have tried several different chemicals, some 
with varying success but none that were truly effective in removing all
of the propolis.  However, just recently I have found a readily
available chemical that quickly removes even the heaviest deposits.
I tried it on all the different acrylics I have used over the years
as well as on glass itself.  I tried it on the linoleum floors what "I" 
stained years ago. I even cleaned my hardwood observation hive with it.
Same results!  The propolis is totally removed! 
The acrylics are as clean as the day I removed the paper wrapping! 

I could bottle this stuff and retire tommorow!
However, some things are just too important not to share!

Here's what I did.
1) I removed the heaviest deposits of wax and propolis using a scraper.
   (Caution! Don't bear down hard on the scraper, just enough pressure
    to remove the heavy layers. Just kind of go along with the scraper,
    letting it do the work.)
2) With a hair dryer set on HOT, I heated the remaining traces of wax 
   and rub them off using a soft "terry" type cloth.
3) Using another "terry" cloth I put some methanol on it and gently
   rubbed it on the areas stained with propolis.  Not very much is needed
   and it quickly removes the propolis. Use a light source to reflect off 
   the glass to see the smallest spots.
4) After the glass, acrylic or wood is cleaned, any general purpose window

   cleaner will remove the haze that remains.
   (Methanol is available at ALL auto part stores!  Just buy a can of
   GAS LINE ANTI-FREEZE!)
5) When you tell your friends about it, just mention my name!

Dave Verville
VP 
Essex County Beekeepers Assoc.
Beekeeping since 1844
Topsfield MA.
[email-masked]

PS: Please read the can! This fluid is extremely flamable and fuels