Subject: Beeswax Candle Molds?

From: [email-masked] (BusyKnight)
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 1995 17:53:59 GMT

How do you make 'em?

---

From: Nate Saal <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Nov 1995 01:34:37 GMT

I've never made a wax mold myself, but here is what I would do if I did 
want to:

1) Take some wax and mold it into the figure, shape, object you want. 

2) Mix enough plaster to submerge the entire wax object (You could do this 
in a milk carton or what container you don't mind riping apart).

3) Drill a 1/4 to 1/2 inch hole in the *bottom* of the figure until you hit 
the wax inside (this is the hole for pouring the melted wax into the mold).

4) Cut the mold along the length of the figure with a thin-bladed saw (be 
careful not to crack the plaster).

5) Remove or melt out the wax that remains in the mold.

6) Sand/shape the two halves until there is a nice fit with no leaks

To make candles with the mold, you tape or secure a piece of candle wick 
down the middle of one half of the mold (you might have to cut a slight 
groove into this half of the mold for the wick to sit in).  Secure the 
two halves together and you should be set to go.  You might have to coat
the inside of the mold if the wax sticks (does anyone know?).

Granted this is a rough way to do it, but it should work and won't cost much.

-------------------------------------
Name: Nate Saal
E-mail: Nate Saal <[email-masked]>
-------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Jensen)
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 1995 20:02:26 -0800

> in a milk carton or what container you don't mind riping apart).

Two part silicone rubber works much better than plaster and has the
advantage of being flexible and easy to remove from the wax candle.

Mark Jensen              Double J Apiaries        [email-masked]