Subject: Wild Colonies

From: [email-masked] (Pete Gray)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 23:34:14 GMT

A friend has a 'Wild Bees nest' about 15 feet up a tree. I assume that it is a
colony of domestic bees; does anyone have experience of collecting an
established colony this late in the season,
How do I go about transferring it to a hive?
Is it even worth attempting?

Pete

---

From: "Victor C. Rimkus" <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Aug 1995 14:07:32 GMT

>Is it even worth attempting?
Pete,

Is the colony of bees inside the tree or have they made comb on the outside? I just cut a 
section of bee tree this weekend and placed it by my apiary. I will not cut into it until next 
spring since I do not believe they will have time to build up before winter. I used a 
stethescope to listed and determine where the bees were inside. Then I cut above and below the 
occupied area. I had to take it now because the area was being cleared for a house to be built. 
If there wasn't a now or never situation I would have left it for the spring.

If the colony was on the outside (hanging under a branch) I would have collected them and 
started them in a hive with comb for a couple of weeks then combined them with an existing hive.

If they are inside, wait until spring. If they are outside, and you have a hive to combine them 
with, catch them now.

If you decide that they should be captured now, email the details and I will be glad to help.

[email-masked],    Victor C. Rimkus,     Albuquerque, NM  USA