Subject: BEEKEEPING EQUIPMENT FROM AMERICA AVIABLE?

From: hoeger <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 May 1996 16:15:44 GMT

Hi everybody,

I´m a beekeeper in Germany with only a few hives.  
In our beekeepers society we recently discussed the 
following points, and I hope somebody in the US or in Canada
is able to answer some of the questions.
A problem which becomes more and more of interest is the 
contamination of beeswax and honey with substances used for
Varroa control.  The accumulation of these toxines in the wax will
increase the contamination of the honey in future if nothing is
changed during the next years.  The decontermination of wax is 
very expensive and the beekeepers won´t pay for the waxplates
the price they would cost.  Another way out is the own wax cycle,
it means that you use your own wax to produce your own waxplates.
So you will get only in your hives what you use for Varroa control
(I use forniat, ant-acid which gives no contamination of wax and honey).
But these is also very expensive and a lot of work, to much for 
somebody who own only a small number of hives.
A year ago a member of our society visited Canada.  He showed us 
a system which is used in America to give the bees the basic platform
for their combs instead of waxplates.  This was a sheat of plastic
with a structured comb-pattern, coated with a thin layer of beeswax.
These sheats are fixed in the center of the wooden frames given to the
bees to built up their honey-combs.
We would like to know more about these material, but unfortunatly
the man who brought these from Canada died last year.
Our questions:
-Is these material aviable uncoated and in running meters 
(unformated, we use a different size called Deutsch-Normal, its
shorter but higher than Langstroth)?
-Maybe it´s possible to use paperlike material instead of plastic
for easier recyling?
-Can somebody give us a adress of a company were we can buy these
material?

Our idea is to use our own, uncontaminated wax for the coating.
We don´t need to buy wax of unknown sources and unknown contamination.
Maybe the price for the material and the coating equipment is also
aceptable for a non professional beekeeper.

I hope some of you can help us!

Please mail your answers and suggestions to:
[email-masked]

Many thanks in the name of the members of the MAINZ BEEKEEPING CLUB

Ulli Hoeger

---

From: Jon Camp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 23:40:01 GMT

Pierco, Incorporated
17425 railroad Street
City of Industry, CA  91748
International calls: (818)964-2335 extension #205

One piece plastic frame and foundation, waxed or unwaxed, 
full depth 9-1/8" or medium depth 6-1/4".  

Is this what you are referring to?  You might give them a call or 
write them as to the possibility of custom sizes, or perhaps 
modify some of your supers to accomodate the size of Langstroth
style frames.  Hope this is of some help.

                     Jon Camp - Silver City Apiaries