Subject: Hot Weather Emergencies

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 15:05:00 GMT

(Continued from previous message)

             with a sheet or towel soaked in cool water

           # If EMT/Paramedic services are delayed or not
             immediately available, ice packs can be
             applied to the patient's abdomen, armpits,
             and behind the neck

           # The patient will need intravenous (I.V.) fluids and
             extensive cooling measures to ensure survival.
             Hospital treatment will include reducing
             the body temperature by whatever means are
             necessary.

Staten concluded by urging everyone to check on elderly
neighbors and watch the activity of children during the
remainder of this heat wave.  He added that by being educated
citizens will be better prepared to prevent heat injuries and
care for family and friends that have suffered it's ill effects.

                         -30-

(c) EmergencyNet NEWS Service
Emergency Response & Research Institute
6348 N. Milwaukee, suite 312, Chicago, IL 60646
(312) 631-ERRI - Voice/Voice Mail
(312) 631-4703 - Fax
(312) 631-0517 - Computer/Modem-EMERGENCY BBS-28,800bps