Subject: How to remove bees from Backyard, please!

From: Steve Gamble <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 17:46:54 -0700

I seem ot have a new honey bee hive in an old oak tree in my back yard, 
and it is far too close to the patio. Is there a way to encourage them 
to relocate? I don't want to have to hurt them if I don't have to, but 
they will have to go, one way or the other. Funny thing is, there was 
a starling nest in that hole last year. Please Email to 
[email-masked]  I appreciate any help you can give; I love animals and 
don't want to hurt these ones.

Steve Gamble
Victoria, BC, Canada

---

From: "John K. Warsaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 16:51:14 -0400

Getting rid of the bees, by whatever method, may not accomplish your purpose, because if the wax hive and 
honey remain other bees may take up residence.  You must remove all remnants of the hive.  This is easy 
enough, once you have gotten rid of the bees, which brings us back to the first problem.  

Have you tried finding a local beekeeper who collects swarms?  I have occasionally gone after a swarm, at no 
charge, in exchange for the bees. This would be your best bet, because it would remove most of the workers and 
the queen, which is essential.  

There are bee repellents on the market, such as "Bee Go", which are used for chasing bees off frames prior to 
extracting honey.  You might try squirting this into the hive. This will only relocate the bees, and their new 
home may not be any more convenient to humans than the old one was.

Your best bet is finding someone who wants the bees.  Here in the USA there are places to ask around, but I 
don't know about BC.  Do you have a federal or provincial agriculture office?  A college or university with an 
agriculture program?  How about stores that sell bee supplies?  They may refer you to some of their customers. 
There is value in a hive like yours, if you can find someone who wants it.

Bees.  We can't live with them, but we can't live without them.  I think there's a joke in there somewhere!