Subject: Re: How can I feed my bees during the winter

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Dec 1996 01:45:06 GMT

I do not know what your weather is where you are.  Here, in south west
Oregon, USA, it is often cool to cold (under 50 degrees f.) and wet.  The
bees simply cannot use sugar sirup in these conditions.  

Emergency feeding is done (here) with drivert sugar or even regular cane
sugar put inside the hive.  Top feeders (a tray similar to an inner cover,
but deeper) seem to work also.  I have poored sugar between frames in a
corner of the hive.  The point is to get the sugar next to the bees any
way you can.  It has usually saved the colony when I have had to do this.

Good luck!!

---

From: Bill Fernihough <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Dec 1996 05:10:45 GMT

I find this to be an interesting reply, I have been feeding syrup down 
to below freezing here in Vancouver Canada, with better luck.  The bees 
seem to take it in any temperature, so wonder what the difference is, 
maybe mine is thinner or thicker than yours.
Another trick used in  this area, is to put about 5 lbs of sugar on the 
top board, put an empty super over that, then put a layer of newspaper 
over it all.  Paper keeps in the heat, absorbs some of the condensation 
>from  the bees, other condensation goes to wet the sugar so the bees can 
soak it up, and of course, terramycin is added to the dry sugar.