Subject: Anyone trying Pierco products?

From: [email-masked] (Kirk & Sharon Jones)
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 1996 23:53:41 -0400

We are going to try some of the Pierco products and would appreciate any
feedback from folks who have used them.

I understand that they have improved the full frame unit and have yet
another improvement coming down the pike(three weeks or so).

We tried some of the waxed foundation this summer and it seemed ok, once
the bees got crowded and worked it out. It seems quite bulletproof.

Nick(manager) told me they are trying out green(for better wintering?) and
black(for grafting) plastic foundation.

I have gathered that it takes a good honeyflow or steady feeding to get a
good draw on the foundation.

Kirk

---

From: [email-masked] (William Hughes jr.)
Date: 4 Dec 1996 03:00:46 GMT

I have used some Pierco frames in the last two years.  The 6 5/8 inch med 
super frame is drawn out as fast as wax or Durigilt during a strong honey 
flow.  Also they contain more honey than a wooden frame.  The deep box 
frames are a different story.  If you install a package on them they will 
draw it out, but if the top brood box is undrawn Pierco they are 
reluntant to draw them out, even if you feed heavly.  If you are 
replaceing cycleing out old comb the bees accept it ok.  I hope this has 
helped.

Bill Hughes
Bent Holly Honey Farm
Brighton, Tennessee  USA

---

From: [email-masked] (John K. Warsaw)
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 15:32:30 GMT

For several years I tried plastic frames in brood chambers.  They were
expensive, more difficult to work with, broke more easily than wood,
and the bees didn't like them.  I've thrown the last of them into the
trash, and am going back to wood and Duragilt. 

I notice the current Pierco ads are claiming unspecified big
improvements. After my prior experience with their product, I think
I'll let somebody else do their testing this time!!!
--
PLEASE NOTE: My e-mail address has been disguised to defeat automated spam programs.  For my correct address, change  "fakeaddress" to "netside", but leave off the quotation marks.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

---

From: Bill Fernihough <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Dec 1996 05:06:11 GMT

I would say my experience with them is favourable.  I used for both 
brood and honey, and worked ok in strong flows.  I can't take the time 
to go back to the wood and wiring and all that.  Best experience was 
with Dadant size frames, very good there.  Worked well in extractor, but 
if you go too fast everything comes off sometimes.