Subject: Re: Info on Afro bees

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 00:32:00 GMT

>LMF>From: Luis Miguel Fresnedo <[email-masked]>
>   >Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 11:29:48 -0700
>   >Subject: Info on Afro bees
>
>LMF>I4m a mountain biker with absolutely no knowledge of bee behavior, but
>   >two days ago a friend and I were riding around a small dam in central
>   >Sonora, a northern Mexican state bordering with Arizona, and we were
>   >suddenly attacked by bees, for no apparent reason. We never even saw
>   >where they came from. I was stung only once, and my friend got 4 or 5.
>   >Nothing serious or painful, but this raised a few questions:
>
>Bueno DeeOss Friend Luis,
>
>Sonora, a beautiful state in Mexico for sure, roads are not all that
>good sometimes.<BG>
>
>LMF>1. What are you supposed to do when attacked by bees (Afro or not)?
>
>1st. Get out of the area as fast as you can, without panic if that is
>possible. Some say bees can fly 35 miles per hour, but lucky for us for
>only a short distance. Attacking bees are not going to follow you for
>much more then a few hundred yards and less in a forest or the brush.
>
>LMF>2. Are there any repellents that people like myself can use or take when
>   >we go out riding ?
>
>2nd. None that really work as far as I know. Light colored clothing, and
>hats that cover the hair helps. The best defence is to stay away from
>any identified bee sites.
>
>LMF>3. What about first aid for attack victims ?
>
>3rd. After getting away from the attacking bees remove stingers,(if they
>were honeybee, there will be stingers). Popping a cold pill of the
>antihistamine type may give some relief. Try not to panic. Pain and
>discomfort are normal, followed by swelling that may be uncomfortable
>but will not normally not last more then a few hours to a few days. This
>is normal.
>
>LMF>4. Are we in real danger ?
>
>4th. Yes, there is always real danger for people who do not know if they
>are allergic and find themselves with allergic reactions out in the bush
>at some distance from medical help. For those people who know they are
>allegoric there are self administered drugs that can carried and used
>if stung and can save their life. Few people are allergic to bees, and
>to the rest of us there will be immediate pain, followed by swelling.
>Anyone who has after being stung finds difficulty breathing is in danger
>and should seek medical attention AT ONCE. It is not the number of bee
>stings, but the degree of that persons own allergic response. One bee
>sting can be as bad as 100. Again, don't panic.
>
>LMF>I would really appreciate it if you could provide info or suggest
>   >readings related to the subject.
>
>It is always a good idea if you are going to be in situations that
>could put your health at risk to visit with your personal doctor and
>determine if you are allergic to bees. If you find yourself allergic
>there are doctor administrated treatments that can change that for you.
>
>                             ttul Andy-

Andy:

Thanks for your quick answer. I guess I found out that I am not allergic to
bees the hard way...

You are right about Sonoran roads. That is why mountain biking is the way to
go...

Once again, thanks.
---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ ... He has heard the quail and beheld the honey-bee,