Subject: Land Of Milk & Honey

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 05:36:00 GMT

=====================================================================
                       Israel Information Service Gopher
     Information Division              Israel Foreign Ministry - Jerusalem
                 Mail all Queries to   [email-masked]
     =====================================================================

                            =====================
                            ==                 ==
                            ==   B E Y O N D   ==
                            ==                 ==
                            ==      MILK       ==
                            ==                 ==
                            ==       AND       ==
                            ==                 ==
                            ==      HONEY      ==
                            ==                 ==
                            =====================

                            Traditional Recipies
                                  from an
                               Israel Kitchen

                              ----------------

                             Embassy of Israel
                         Office of Public Affairs
                              Washington, D.C.

                              ----------------

Despite its Biblical association with milk and honey, Israel lacks a long-
standing culinary heritage.  Only a few years ago, Israelis even doubted the
existence of their own authentic cuisine.

Today, most people agree that there is a distinctive Israeli cuisine, though
like many aspects of the society, it is uniquely multifaceted.  It reflects
the various communities in the country and their diverse geographical and
cultural origins.  The Israeli kitchen is home to the multitude of foods and
recipes which have accompanied the Jewish people's return to the "Land of
Milk and Honey."

Historically, the Jewish holidays are accompanied by customary dishes linked
to the traditions and stories of each festival.  The recipes for special
dishes, such as blintzes (eaten on Shavuot) and latkes (eaten on Hanukah),
have been passed down from generation to generation, and are now part of
Israeli cuisine.

In the years since Israel achieved independence, new culinary traditions
have crystallized.  There is the practice of picnicking in the countryside,
where the usual menu consists of shishlik, kebob (an Eastern version of
American hamburger), or steak.  First courses in these outdoor meals are
invariably tehina and hummus, foods stemming from our Arab neighbors which
have been incorporated into the Israeli bill-of-fare.

A second custom is the large Israeli breakfast.  It is composed of salads, a
variety of cheeses, olives, distinctive Israeli bread, juice and coffee.
The loaded-down tables which characterize Israeli hospitality have their
basis in Jewish antiquity.  The Bible relates the story of the three angels
who visited the tent of the patriarch Abraham and his wife Sarah and were
treated to a lavish meal.

The order and content of meals in Israel differs from that of the United
States.  The principal meal of the day is generally served in Israel at
noontime, when the children return home from school.  Very few families
follow the American pattern and have their large meal in the evening.  The
evening meal is usually a light one consisting generally of dairy products,
salads and eggs.

There are a number of Jewish dietary laws stemming from the Bible which are
integral to Israel's culinary heritage.

According to these laws (Kashrut), only certain types of meat and fish may
be eaten.  Pork and rabbit, for example, are excluded, as are shellfish.

In addition, dairy dishes must be cooked and eaten separately from meat
dishes. Foods such as fish, eggs, fruits and vegetables ("pareve" foods) may
be eaten with either meat or milk.  Two sets of dishes, for milk and meat
meals, are used, stored and cleaned separately.

No cooking is permitted on the Sabbath, the day of rest, except for food
prepared in advance that can simmer for a long time under a low flame.  The
traditional cholent, a robust stew, and kugel, a vegetable and noodle
pudding, are two such examples.

In the following, we have compiled a sampling of dishes served in the homes
of Israel's varied ethnic population.  You will find that there is no single
Israeli cuisine in the sense that there is a French or Italian cuisine.
Native Israeli cooking depends on the land of origin of the cook.

Nonetheless, Israel has developed an authentic food culture which offers a
wealth of colorful, rich, and delicious choices.

- The recipes were all tested and tasted in order to bring you the special
  flavor of Israel.

- We have been careful to choose only "strictly kosher" recipes--meat and
  milk products have not been mixed.

- The quantities given in the recipes are all intended for four to six
  persons, unless otherwise indicated.

HONEY CAKE
----------
Honey cake is the traditional cake of the "Land of Milk and Honey."  Honey
cake is a must for the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashana, since its sweetness
symbolizes the wishes for a good year ahead.

        3 1/2 cups sifted flour
        1/4 tsp. salt
        1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
        1 tsp. baking soda
        1 1/2 cup nuts, walnuts, or almonds
        4 eggs
        3/4 cup sugar
        4 tsp. vegetable oil
        2 cups dark honey
        1/2 cup brewed coffee

        Optional
        --------
        1/2 tsp. cinnamon
        1/4 tsp. nutmeg
        1/8 tsp. powdered cloves
        1/2 tsp. ginger

Sift flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and
ginger together (spices depend on your personal taste).

Beat eggs, gradually adding the sugar.  Beat until thick and light in color.
Beat in oil, honey and coffee; stir in flour mixture and nuts.  Grease an
11x16x4 inch baking pan and line with aluminum foil.  For 2 smaller cakes,
use two 9 inch loaf pans.  Turn the batter into the pan(s).  Bake at 325 deg
F (170 deg C) 1-1/4 hours for the large cake, 50 minutes for the 2 smaller
ones, or until browned and cake tester comes out clean.  Cool on a cake rack
before removing from pan.

     =====================================================================

BAKLAVA (Honey and Nut Pastry)
------------------------------
Baklava is a delicacy found throughout the Arab world.  The Jews who came to
Israel from Arab countries continue to prepare and enjoy the taste of
baklava. This sweet pastry is sold in both Jewish and Arab markets, and
comes in a multitude of varieties.

        Pastry
        ------
        1 lb. phyllo pastry sheets
        1/2 cup chopped almonds
        1-1/2 cups melted sweet butter
        Dash of ground clove
        5 tbs. sugar
        1 tsp. cinnamon
        2 cups walnuts, pistachio nuts or hazelnuts, roughly chopped

        Syrup
        -----
        2 cups water
        2 cups sugar
        1/2 cup honey
        3 slices orange & lemon rind
        1 cinnamon stick
        3 cloves
        1 tsp. lemon juice

Pastry:  Place sheets of phyllo pastry in a 13x9x2 inch pan, brushing every
other sheet evenly with butter.  When ten or twelve sheets are in place,
combine walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, and clove, and spread 1/3 of this mixture
over the sheet.  Place another five or six buttered sheets of phyllo on top
of nut mixture.  Repeat this process two more times, alternating nut mixture
with five or six sheets of buttered phyllo.  Preheat oven to 350 deg F (180
deg C). With a sharp knife, cut baklava into diamond-shaped pieces.  Heat
remaining butter (there should be about 1/2 cup) until hot and light brown.
Pour evenly over the baklava.  Sprinkle a few drops of cold water on top and
bake for 30 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 300 deg F (150 deg C) and
continue to bake for one hour.

Syrup:  In a saucepan combine water, sugar, honey, lemon juice, orange and
lemon rind, cinnamon stick and cloves.  Heat mixture until a drop forms when
placed into a cup of cold water, then simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
Strain.  When the baklava is baked, pour syrup over it.  Makes 30-36 pieces.

---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ ... Which a bee would choose to dream in.

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 05:36:00 GMT

=====================
                            ==                 ==
                            ==   B E Y O N D   ==
                            ==                 ==
                            ==      MILK       ==
                            ==                 ==
                            ==       AND       ==
                            ==                 ==
                            ==      HONEY      ==
                            ==                 ==
                            =====================

                            Traditional Recipies
                                  from an
                               Israel Kitchen

                              ----------------

                             Embassy of Israel
                         Office of Public Affairs
                              Washington, D.C.

                              ----------------

HONEY CAKE
----------

        3 1/2 cups sifted flour
        1/4 tsp. salt
        1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
        1 tsp. baking soda

        Optional
        --------
        1/2 tsp. cinnamon
        1/4 tsp. nutmeg
        1/8 tsp. powdered cloves
        1/2 tsp. ginger

        Pastry
        ------

        Syrup
        -----
        2 cups water
        2 cups sugar
        1/2 cup honey

---