Subject: Re: Suggestions Anyone?

From: Lenny Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 23:44:04 -0500

> What I want to know is, with this many stings in 7 to 8 days was the
> last reaction normal??  Or, have I really developed a bad reaction to
> bee stings?  Does this one 'hot' colony of mine, sound unusuall??  My
> other 3 colonies aren't this way.
> 
> I would appreciate an opinion from anyone with lots of experiance.
> 
> Thanks,
> Russ
> [email-masked]

It is possible to develop an allergic reaction to the stings.  Responses
can range right up to life-threatening.

You didn't mention what part of the country you live in. (Africanized
bees in your area?)  More info please.

Take care.
-- 

Many people surf the net; only a select few make the waves.

---

From: [email-masked] (Russ Olsen)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 20:58:55 GMT

I first got into beekeeping a little over a year ago, needless to say
I really like it.  I've learned a lot about bees and my self.  

I started out with 3 hives last year, two did great the third one
didn't.  Of the two extremely stong hives, one has always been more
aggressive, and short tempered.  (if you know what I mean)  They just
don't like me getting into the hive for more than about 10 minutes or
so. 

A week ago I was checking up on things when this hive decided they'd
had enough, and came after me.  Eight of them succeded in finding me
through my suit,  and veil.  Needless to say I closed up the hive as
quickly as possible and left them alone.  Another couple of dozen took
over 30 minutes calm down and leave me alone. 

I had the usual minor swelling, redness, stiffness, itching with all
the stings.

7 days later, ( just 2 days ago) I was again checking up on the hives,
(I had requeened and wanted to see if they were out),  once again this
hot hive decided enough was enough after about 10 minutes.   This time
they found my ankles and quickly discovered that they could sting
through my socks.  Within about 20 seconds I had 10 stings on my
ankles.  So I closed up the hive again and left the area.  Once again
several dozen followed me and my wife for several hundred yards as we
walked away, hoping they'd 'chill out' and leave  finally about 30
minutes later  we were able to take off the veils and suits and go
home.

This time my stings took on an entirely different form.  In about 2
hours I had several places all over my body that were covered in
hives.  Just like a bad rash.  My wife could watch them form and grow.
In 3 hours my bottom lip begain to swell up.  I took 3 asprin and 2
Benadryls and went to bed.  The next morning, I looked like someone
had worked me over with a basball bat.  My eyes were swelled shut, my
bottom lip was so big that I couldn't close my mouth all the way.  My
tounge was swelling up,  my right hand was so swelled up that I
couldn't grab a glass of water.  My body was covered in hives.  My
wife was deeply concerned, and my kids were scared to death.  I went
to the local Clinic and the doctor prescribed a steroid shot and a
Benadryl shot.  Then ordered me to bed, and also told me I'd have to
give up the bees.   Needless to say, I'm more than disappointed.

Thanks,
Russ
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Janet A. Katz)
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:38:37 GMT

>[email-masked]

Russ:

Don't give up the bees. I, too, am allergic to bee stings. I've worked
with my allergist to minimize the problem.

First, I take a prescription anti-histamine (Seldane) about an hour
before I'm going to work with my bees. Taking the benadryl AFTER the
stings and the allergic reaction set in doesn't help too much.

Second, every spring, I get a new prescription filled for a
self-administering shot of Epinephrine, just in case a localized
reaction (the hives, the swelling) turned into anaphalactic (sp?)
shock. I've never had to use it. My daughter always makes sure to ask
me if I've got it with me when I'm heading out to the bees--she was
pretty frightened by the way I looked after some of the stings I got
early on.

If I do get stung, I make sure to "flick" the stinger(s) out with a
fingernail as soon as possible. (Don't pinch them between two fingers
to pull them out, you're only pumping more venom into your body that
way.) I also high tail it away from the hives as soon as I've been
stung. A scent is released  when a bee stings that incites the other
guard bees to attack also--I don't like to give them that chance. I
smoke the spot I was stung to mask the smell before returning to the
hive.

Also, I'd either requeen that bad-tempered hive, or go into it as
little as humanly possible.

By all means, though, go see an allergist; and wear heavier socks!

Janet

---

From: Dave Black <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 14:04:03 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, Russ Olsen
<[email-masked]> writes
>other 3 colonies aren't this way.
You've had some good advice from others in the group about your
reaction, ie. yes it's unusual, it could be a drug interaction or that
you're becoming sensitive and that it can be/should be treated. I'm told
you need 10 to 15 stings a year before you become tolerant, but you need
professional advice not more stings !

About the colony though. There are many reasons why some bees are more
'defensive' than others, some you will be able to discount because your
other colonies ( in the same apiary presumably) are OK. One you may not
have considered is the state of the boxes, by which I mean are they bee-
tight. I have seen colonies suddenly become hot because the roof and
supers weren't on right and they had to defend lots of larger entrances.
Really nasty ones are unusual, and far outnumbered by really nasty
beekeepers.

To try and correct the problem I would requeen straight away ( :-) pint
of petrol also works !). Keeping a short tempered colony might be heroic
but is not fun. The most attractive way, but only if you have a nectar
flow, is to move in a small good colony (small entrance) and put it next
door. A day or so later, in the middle of the day, move the bad lot
away. The flyers will unite onto your new queen leaving the colony
reduced and with just young bees. Then go in, find and destroy the other
queen and unite them on as well. This way you don't have to handle the
bad temper. If you don't have a flow you need another plan. However you
decide to requeen, as a precaution cage your new queen and delay her
release untill after uniting and things have calmed down. They're
expensive after all. 

-- 
Dave Black
Blacks Bee Gardens, 
Guildford, GU1 4RN.  UK.

---

From: Jim Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 13:13:50 -0400

First be careful and sure you are not developing an allergic reaction
as the next time it could be much worse. Secondly, get an epi-pen asap
and have it handy and know how to use it. Third, make sure until you are
sure you are not allergic to have someone with you, when dealing with
the bees, in case you get stung and you go into shock. 

	One possible explanation for a cranky hive is that it is being
antagonized by some varmint (skunk, opossum, racoon, bear). Is it on the
end of a group? The last hive in a line is usually the target of an
animal. Have you noticed the grass around the hive being flattened? Are
there scratches on the hive or landing board?

	I had a hive that was being bothered by a possum and it had a very
cranky disposition. It took a couple of weeks to become less so after
deterring the possum with some set mouse traps wired to the groud around
the hives.

	Good luck and be careful.