Subject: Re: Replacing Old Comb

From: [email-masked] (Evan E. Twombly)
Date: 30 Jun 1996 06:08:54 GMT

I've known beekeepers who claim they still use brood comb 
their father used.  The bees may get smaller, but that does
not prove anything about pollen/nectar loads.  Smaller bees
may mean more honey because it takes less to raise a smaller
bee, less honey used to make new comb, etc.  The pollen load
wouldn't matter on the bee size much.  Of course, you must
replace drone comb in the brood chamber.  I'm still sittin'
on the fence on this one!

Evan

I've known beekeepers who claim they still use brood comb 
their father used.  The bees may get smaller, but that does
not prove anything about pollen/nectar loads.  Smaller bees
may mean more honey because it takes less to raise a smaller
bee, less honey used to make new comb, etc.  The pollen load
wouldn't matter on the bee size much.  Of course, you must
replace drone comb in the brood chamber.  I'm still sittin'
on the fence on this one!

Evan

---

From: Dave Black <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 09:27:18 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, "Evan E. Twombly"
<[email-masked]> writes
>their father used.    I'm still sittin'
I'm not on the fence. I think 'It ain't natural' and 'disease, disease,
disease.' 

In one of the Scandinavian counties I'm told by law all beekeepers must
change the brood chamber combs every year.
-- 
Dave Black
Blacks Bee Gardens, 
Guildford, GU1 4RN.  UK.