Subject: Observation..Feral Hive

From: [email-masked] (Evan E. Twombly)
Date: 07 Mar 1996 03:52:35 GMT

I'm planning to cut down a 24 inch diameter doug fir snag this summer for
wood.

I'd like to keep 5-6 ft to make a 'feral hive' that I can see into.  I plan
to hollow out
2-3 cubic feet and replace the side with plexiglass.

So I could 'treat' these gals to Apistan or Terri pattys I want part of the 
brood chamber to bee in a deep or western super I put on top or on the
bottom.

The way we keep bees they are forced to the bottom.  In nature..where would
they
end up after a winter if I didn't rob them and add honey supers on top?  I
was
thinking the top (there is where they are found in the spring) but if I put
the 
entrance at the bottom (so they can keep the hive clean) will the queen move
down
so the temperature can be more easily controlled and the workers have easier 
access to the pollen comming in?

Any Ideas?    Thanks

Evan

---

From: [email-masked] (BusyKnight)
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 1996 15:06:05 GMT

>2-3 cubic feet and replace the side with plexiglass.

Evan,  I don't know what the ag/beekeeping laws are where you're
located but in Texas, you're required to have all movable frames.
No rules on what the outside of the hive has to look like (other than 
branding) but you have to be able to remove the individual frames
of comb.  This is a state agriculture law, you might want to check the
laws where you live and/or plan to use all removable frames if your
area requires it.

BuyKnight
Dallas, TX