Subject: Painting/staining hives.

From: Paul Cauthorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 00:46:21 -0700

I am interested in alternatives to latex paint for sealing hive bodies. 
I'd like to preserve the beauty of the wood with a clear stain or
varnish.  And of course, I'm concerned about the product not harming the
bees or the honey.

Please let me know what has worked for you.  Thanks,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
                Paul Cauthorn           [email-masked]
                                 ---
More heinous crimes are committed in the name of obedience than in the
                   name of rebellion.   -C.P. Snow

---

From: Paul Walton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 13:49:32 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, Paul Cauthorn
<[email-masked]> writes
>Please let me know what has worked for you.  Thanks,

Try the clear version of "Cuprinol". It doesn't contain insecticide so
is alright for hives (I have used it for years) and it preserves the
natural look of the wood.

-- 
Paul Walton
[email-masked]
Toddington, Bedfordshire, England.
Tel. +44 (0)1525 875570

---

From: Dave MacFawn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 20:15:48 GMT

Should not be a problem as long as you do not coat the inside of
the hive.  I have looked around for alternates to latex exterior
paint, but the exterior latex appears superior to anything else.
 As far as preserving the beauty of the wood,  I would think
that a high quality exterior house stain may do it.

Dave M.

>==========Paul Cauthorn, 9/3/96==========
>

dave macfawn
AT&T Global Information Solutions
[email-masked]
(803) 939-7409

---

From: [email-masked] (Joel Govostes)
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 07:11:24 -0500

Cuprinol is great - protects the wood well, won't bother the bees, and is
easy to apply.  Paint is typically a problem as it blisters and peels. 
You put it on and it comes off in spots eventually.  The
stain/preservative gets right into the wood and you can still see the
grain so it's attractive, too.  Re-application is much easier and faster
than paint.  IMO

---

From: Paul Cauthorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 11:10:24 -0700

Joel Govostes wrote:
> 
> Cuprinol is great - protects the wood well, won't bother the bees, and 

Thanks for everyones comments.

Joel, is Cuprinol a single product or a line of products?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
                Paul Cauthorn           [email-masked]
                                 ---
More heinous crimes are committed in the name of obedience than in the
                   name of rebellion.   -C.P. Snow

---

From: John LeRoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 20:49:17 +0500

> Joel, is Cuprinol a single product or a line of products?

Cuprinol is made by Sherwin Williams paint company.
I bought mine through my local hardware store, but he 
had to order it. Most paint stores no longer stock it.

---

From: [email-masked] (Francis Miquet)
Date: 18 Sep 1996 00:36:02 GMT

>Joel, is Cuprinol a single product or a line of products?

Cuprinol is a line of products that is now owned  by Sherwin Williams paints

I have used their Clear Stain on my hives. I wouldn't really call it a
stain. Apparently it's low in toxins. Mainly linseed oil with additives 
It imparts a sightly yellowish tint to white pine. It has a UV protector
in it so the wood doesn't grey. It seems to work well. Cuprinol makes
other stains that allow the wood to grey if it is your preferences. 

Check out their home-page: www.cuprinol.com. They list all their products
with and their characteristics.

F