Subject: Massive Bee Swarm Killed, "Were Not Killer Bees" says NMSU entomologist

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:13:47 GMT

September 17th, 1996
>From  the  Albuquerque Tribune,  - 
by Staff Writers at the Tribune

Those were honeybees that buzzed WIPP

Las Cruces, New Mexico -- 
	A swarm of bees that decended on the Waste Isolation Pilot Project last week
were of the Honey Bee variety - not the Killer bees that officials feared.
	The swarm, said to be 50 to 70 feet wide and 19 feet long - landed Sept 9 on a
WIPP building and appeared to be nesting.  They were exterminated.
	On Monday, Mike English, a New Mexico State University entomologist who had been
sent a few corpses, said he had examined wing veins under a microscope and was
certain the WIPP visitors were a common honey variety.
	WIPP -- which had yet to open - is a U.S. Department of Energy project  designed
to bury plutonium-contaminated waste from the nation's defense industry 21, 150
feet underground in ancient salt beds. 

_END_

Wish they would have called me,  I think the bees could have fit in my 
swarm box.

There must be some huge feral hive somewhere nearby.

Along the same lines  - Remember the movie "THEM ! " ??  (1954 , B&W, 94 minutes
with James Whitmore, James Arness, Fess Parker and Leonard Nemoy). 

Charles