Subject: Hive bags

From: Paul Walton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 07:35:34 +0100

I was wondering if anyone else has used the hive-bags that B.J. Sherriff
are selling for transporting hives in the back of a car? If so, what
experiences other people have had with them.

I have just moved about a half-dozen hives (Langstroth and National)
using them. At first, I tied the elasticated draw-string at the top (as
shown in "The Beekeepers Quarterly", No. 46, page 8) but quickly
realized that the bees could still get out. Then, I realized that it
would be much better to pull the drawstring *UNDER* the hive rather than
ontop of it. Even folding the material under the hive without pulling
the drawstring tight was enough to make it bee-tight (the weight of the
hive holding the bag in place).

For anyone contemplating moving just a few hives in the back of a car,
these definitely do seem like a good idea. I think that the trick is;
(a) to ensure that the entrance is secured with a strip of foam rubber
so that no bees can escape, and (b) secure the roof/travelling screen in
place with a hive strap so that hive-parts do not slide around as you
drive around corners. This may seem like a belt-and-braces approach to
some of you, but it is far better than worrying about being stung whilst
driving!

Since I use 6" telescoping roofs on most of my hives, I was concerned
that the fine net material might snag on any sharp metal edges but this
does not seem to have been the case.
-- 
Paul Walton
[email-masked]
Toddington, Bedfordshire, England.
Tel. +44 (0)1525 875570