Subject: Re: Wouldn't eat the grea

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 96 15:02:14 -0500

-=> Quoting Int:[email-masked] to ** All ** <=-

 >In article <[email-masked]>,
 >   Nate Saal <[email-masked]> wrote:
 >>Maybe someone knows why my bees didn't like the grease patties I made up
 >>for them.
 >
 In> Allen Dick answered:
 >Contrary to what many think, the bees are not supposed to *eat* the patties.
 >They are rather expected to remove tham over time, exposing themeselves to
 >the grease and the drug.
 >
 In> 
 In> Well, I'm not sure that if patties are eaten or carried away, but I
 In> have noted that grease only patties are consumed or removed faster than
 In> grease patties with TM.  I assumed it was a seasonal thing because TM
 In> patties are only in my hives early spring or late fall (cool, no flow,
 In> periods of dearth) whereas grease patties are in at the hight of
 In> activity (warm, honey flow in progress, high and active population).
 In> However, I attended a seminar two weeks ago where the speaker asked if
 In> anyone had ever tasted a TM pattie.  No hands went up and I thought
 In> with all the cautions about keeping TM out of the honey crop, why would
 In> anyone in their right mind ever taste a TM pattie?  But the speaker
 In> stated that TM patties are very bitter, hence bees are reluctant to
 In> eat (or remove) them, although they will over time.
 In> 
 In> As an afterthought it occured to me that tasting a TM pattie should
 In> not be such a surprising concept.  After all, what beekeeper is in
 In> their right mind? ;)
 In> /Aa

Hi!
You may already know this but...
The people here that have used the patties have had a noted better success
when they mix the Crisco and TM with either Domino 10X confectioners sugar
or a bit of honey. I haven't done this yet myself so I have no idea what
proportions they are using. I do know that the TM is mixed in in the usual
way and then a portion of the honey or sugar is added...
        [email-masked] (Dr. Rodriguez) has used this on his
hives before and could tell you what portions he uses...

        Hope this helps,
                Carl Powell
                [email-masked]

... He who dies with the most TAGLINES wins!

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 96 00:22:30 -0500

In> 

Hi!

        Hope this helps,
                Carl Powell
                [email-masked]

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20