Subject: Re: Allergic Reaction to Honeybees

From: "Matti Heikkil�" <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jul 1996 19:15:31 GMT

[email-masked] (Rick Spada) wrote:
I am a fairly new beekeeper, this being my second year.  The other evening
while checking the hives, I was stung and had a very severe reaction.  I've
been stung twice before this year, three last year, and never had a reaction
that was very serious, perhaps a swollen hand for a few days, but that's the
extent of it.

I know that there must be other beekeepers out there that suffer from severe
allergic reaction to honeybee sting.  My question to you is what precautions,
and/or allergy treatments do you follow?  Has the condition ever reversed
itself - i.e. have you become less sensitive over time?

Thanks for any info.  Private E-mail is fine.

-- Rick

__ Rick Spada _______________________ [email-masked] __
     The MathWorks, Inc.               [email-masked]
     24 Prime Park Way           http://www.mathworks.com
     Natick, MA 01760-1500              ftp.mathworks.com
__ Tel: 508-647-7000 ___ Fax: 508-647-7001 _________________

Hello Rick,

in what part of your body did you have that severe stung? For me a stung can be also 
quite severe if it is in neck or head but in hand or in leg is ok. My father had 
once only one stung in his face and he looked terrible for many days. It was so 
swollen. 

I carry always a medice in my car for the case if I get tens of stungs. You can buy 
that medicine from pharmacy here in Finland. Normally you should take that medicine 
if a poisonous snake bites you. I can check what is in that medicine if you want.

greetings

Matti

---

From: [email-masked] (Janet A. Katz)
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 08:17:26 GMT

>-- Rick

I'm also allergic, and you should see an allergist. I take a
prescription antihistamine (Seldane) about an hour before working my
hives, and always have a self-administering Epipen with me (a
prescription shot of Epinephrine in the case of anaphylactic shock).
You didn't say what the "severe" reaction was. However, it also helps
to get the stingers out IMMEDIATELY not by pinching them and pulling
them out (this pumps additional venom from the venom sac into your
system) but by getting a finger nail under the sac and flicking the
stinger out. A topical application of an antihistamine such as
Benadryl also helps.

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Spada)
Date: 27 Jul 1996 11:16:52 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> stinger out. A topical application of an antihistamine such as

I was stung once in the back of my left arm, and ended up with hives all
over and swelling in the neck/lips/eyes/ears, rapid heart rate, low blood
pressure (70/40).  My wife was prompted to call the medics when I felt a
lump in my throat.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the stinger out immediately, so I got a full
shot of venom from the honeybee.  I did see an allergist two days ago and
his recommendation is to get desensitized.  The desensitization process
involves getting controlled injections of bee venom over a number of
months/years that will allow my body to develop antibodies to the venom,
enough so that I can tolerate two bee stings without going into
anaphylactic shock.

I now have an Epi-pen kit and have been told to stay away from the hives
and generally be cautious when in the yard.

Fortunately, I wasn't told I had to give up beekeeping by the allergist,
nor did my wife insist on it.

Thanks for the feedback.  Knowing that there are others that have
developed allergies to honeybees and still keep them is encouraging.

-- Rick

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Spada)
Date: 24 Jul 1996 23:52:28 GMT

-- Rick