Subject: Re: Info Please !!! Reply from 'down under'

From: [email-masked] (Michael Clark)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 07:46:57 GMT

As a bee keeper who lives in the southern hemisphere I thought I
should correct the seasonal advice given previously. South of the
equator we are heading towards winter and it is time to prepare hives
for the cold. I usually close my hives at the end of April and don't
open them again until August (except for installing a feeder if
required). This is not the time to start a hive. If you want to do
something you could build boxes and frames  etc ready for the spring.
It was good advice about finding another beekeeper although you could
also join a bee club where you will get lots of different points of
view about caring for bees.
The swarming period where I live is about September to October and as
we are a similar distance south of the equator yours should be the
same ( plus maybe a week or two as you are slightly further north). If
you don't want to catch a swarm to get "free" bees then ask around and
someone may give you one. Remember to requeen in  February or March as
the old queen you get with the swarm may want to leave again next year
and then you will lose half you bees and some honey. Start with say
one hive and when you get comfortable with them you can increase the
number of hives you have.
If you require any further details post an article to this newsgroup
or email me at [email-masked]

Hope this helps
Michael

>Xeratech wrote:
>> 
>> Hi
>> 
>> My name is Desmond Fry and I come from South Africa.  I am looking into
>> starting out with a couple of hives.  Please send me any info on
>> beekeeping especially on attracting bees to empty hives or just leave
>> the info at this site.  My E-Mail address is
>> "[email-masked]"
>> 
>> Thanx
>> Des