Subject: Honey Prices

From: Mark Egloff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 16:01:36 -0700

I am currently in the process of trying to determine what price to charge 
this year.  I had pretty well settled to $6.50/qt, $3.75/pint until I 
read your posting.  Are you haveing any problems with your prices?

Mark Egloff
[email-masked]

---

From: Motac <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 12:54:25 -0700

> read your posting.  Are you haveing any problems with your prices?

Mark, I have not had any problem with the prices I'm charging. I am a bit
higher (.50 to $1) than some others in the area, but the others process
their honey in different ways. Mine is cold filtered, and never heated
during processing, resulting in a higher quality honey - so I'm told by
both wholesale and retail customers. Some grocers buy honey from me and my 
competitors at the same time, but they have no problem selling mine at the
higher rate right off of the same shelf. People are willing to pay a little
more if the quality difference is obvious. Honey that is heated during
extraction or filtering ends up visibly less thick than honey that isn't.

When I do get a price complaint, I point out that honey and produce prices 
are likely to skyrocket soon because of all the problems with the bees
this year. Usually, they understand. If not, there's always another buyer
up the road. Anyway, I based my prices mostly on what others in my area are
charging. If you have a superior product, you can get away charging a little
more, but not a lot more than your competition.
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motac @ Alachua Freenet           "The time has come," the Walrus said,
Gainesville, Florida, U.S.A.      "To talk of many things:
                                  Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
                                  Of cabbages--and kings--
                                  And why the sea is boiling hot--
                                  And whether pigs have wings."

                           -Alice's Adventures in Wonderland- Lewis Carroll

[email-masked]