Subject: Re: Preferred smoker material and methods

From: "Theodore V. Fischer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 14:52:57 -0500

Jim Moore wrote:
>
> I'm curious and just begining,
>
>    o what are the preferred materials to burn in the smoker
>
>    o are there any tricks to it
>
>    o anyone ever have a bad experience smoking the bees with ...
>
>    o what advice about transporting, handling, and extinguishing
>
>    o any funny and educational anecdotes.
>
>         I remember the time ...

All the advice so far given is right on.  Just a few added things:
I recently found that broken up pieces of old acoustic ceiling tile
(if dry, of course) are excellent for getting a smoker going.  They 
burn far too fast, though, to depend on for your main smoke.  For 
that, I usually use very crumbly rotten wood, which has to be dried 
out for some time before you even think of using it.  After I get a 
smoker going in the apiary, I add to it with whatever is at hand -
sticks, pine needles, pine cones, dry grass tightly twisted, etc.
These items are usually harder to get started than the rotted wood, 
but save on my stores of that commodity when the smoker is hot.

One other thing - while smoke will calm the bees, blowing flames on
them either kills them, starts the hive afire, or at the very least
enrages them.  Keep your smoke cool!  I usually put a small wad of 
damp dead grass on top of the burning fuel for this purpose.

Ted Fischer
grass on