Subject: bee moving!

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 02:02:00 GMT

Bee Moving, Hawaiian style.
*FYI* Just in case you don't get the BEE-List.
                    ----------------------------------------
From: MR MARK G SPAGNOLO <[email-masked]>
Date:         Tue, 30 Apr 1996 16:00:12 -0500
Subject:      bee moving!

Hello:

I am new to the Bee-L, and have been enjoying your recent discussions.
  Yesterday's correspondence on bee moving was interesting.  I work
at Kona Queen Hawaii.  We move 2500 two high hives twice a year by
hand!  I thought you might add my experience and comments to the
discussion.

The terrain in Hawaii is very rough.  We are forced to use 1 ton or
3/4 ton four wheel drive trucks.  This limits our loads to between
fifty and 100 hives.  Moving 2500 hives 100 at a time takes quite a
while and we are well practiced!

We load all our hives just before sunset.  Two guys to a load.  The
hives are not closed.  When the flight stops (shortly before sunset)
the hive entrances are smoked and all hives are loaded.  The
entrances face forward.  Two strong guys can load 100 hives in less
than half an hour.

The loads are then tied securely and covered with a net.  The trucks
are then parked under the sprinkler for the night.  Hawaiian night
temeratures are rarely below 65 degrees, but the water keeps the bees
in the hive.

In the morning the hives are unloaded in their new locations.  We try
to unload just as the sun is rising.  You don't want to wait too
long!

We have good success with this method, although I have had few
disasters.  One particular situation involving a long wait in heavy
traffic due to a car accident comes to mind.  Bees everywhere.  I
also remember being lost and driving around a sugar cane field in the
rain looking for the location.  Not fun.

Mark at Kona Queen Hawaii

document1