Subject: Equip & help wanted

From: [email-masked] (Francis Miquet)
Date: 13 Sep 1996 22:56:44 GMT

I'm looking for good quality used extraction equipment in the
Montreal-Ottawa (Canada) area.
   - uncapping knife (preferably electric, with controllable thermostat)
   - 2 frame stainless steel extractor (would also consider 4 frame either
     hand-crank or electric)

If I don't find this equipment I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestion
where I can take my loot to be extracted. What kind of arrangement is
customary? Does the bee-keper usually keep a share of the honey in lieu
for his or her services?

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 14 Sep 1996 19:29:53 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,

>customary? Does the bee-keper usually keep a share of the honey in lieu

   There was an extractor advertised on this list just a couple weeks ago
in Central NY.  Run a search in DejaNews for it, and possibly others.

    Many commercial beekeepers do custom extraction.  Arrangements vary,
but it will probably cost 8-12 cents per lb (US).  Whether paid in
honey/cappings is negotiable.

    If I were just getting started, I'd wait and go the custom extraction
route for awhile, to learn the ropes.  You can spend a lot of money
setting up, where it will take a couple days of hand spinning.  You could
take it to someone who has the equipment, and have it done in a couple
hours.

  The biggest problem with a commercial setup is to clear the lines, to
run a small batch through the filtration system.  When we do custom
extraction, we usually just pack in pails directly from the
uncapper/extractor.  After a couple days the cappings will be on top of
the pails where it can be skimmed.  It can then be run through a new pair
of panty hose, if more filtration is desired.  If we filter with our
system, it usually means another trip back, but the hobbyist can then
bottle directly from the filter tank, if he/she wants.

   Another route is to check with your local club.  Many clubs have a
small extractor, and uncapping knife, which the members all can use.

   You can buy pails cheap from anywhere they sell filled donuts, as the
fillings normally are provided in pails.

WARNING:  Extraction in the kitchen has been known to cause divorce.  
Beekeepers' version of Murphey's Law: " Any drip is enough to coat the
entire kitchen."

[email-masked]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554

Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

[email-masked]                                   Dave and Janice Green
Practical Pollination Home Page    
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html  
PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554