Subject: Patty Recipe/Frame Soak

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 29 Jan 1996 14:23:00 GMT

Someone asked me for these recipes and since I cannot find their address
I'm posting them--remember, as with all recipes these work in specific
areas: ask your local beekeeper friends what they use, first--check with
your state apirist, apicultural extension specialist and/or county agent
as well.

The Frame soak is moot: I'd burn any frames if I had AFB...frames just
aren't worth the trouble. My opinion though.

ATTENTION: anything boiling is dangerous...be careful and use protective
clothing.

Extender Patty recipe:

15-18 TM patties:  6.4 oz(1 packet) TM 25 in 3 lbs sugar (either powdered
or granulated) Melt 3 lbs Crisco (barely melt) let cool to point it is a
little soupy, pour over sugar/TM mix, and mix thoroughly.  Measure out
1/4 to 1/3 pound portions onto wax paper, squash patty flat and let cool
(3/8 '' patty). Store patties in airtight container, as TM deteriorates in
air. Freezing patties in container works well.

--from David Lobdell and Steve Wolters, FLA Apiary inspectors.

Frame Bath for AFB control

Chlorine Bath:  4 oz. sodium hypochlorite : 100 gal H2O
1 gal Chlorine bleach : 100 gal H20
1 lb lye : 10gal H2O
(all H2O is boiling HOT)

Use at your own risk.
good luck,
Adam
-- 
_________________
Adam Finkelstein                    
[email-masked]