Subject: Planting for Bees

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 19:43:00 GMT

Beekeeping Insect Note 2B

Landscape Planting for Bees

   Prepared by:
   S. Bambara, Extension Specialist
     _________________________________________________________________

   Increased urbanization of our rural areas has destroyed native forage
   vegetation in many places. In addition, many of our hobby beekeepers
   living in the suburbs enjoy watching bees work the flowers. With this
   in mind and because honey bees are so important for pollinating
   agricultural, horticultural, and wild plants, there is at least one
   small thing we can do to support our state insect.

   Most houses and yards are landscaped, so by merely making certain
   choices, nectar or pollen producing plants can be used with little or
   no additional cost. Though they have only a tiny effect on a single
   hive, every little bit contributes and the more people use these
   plants, the more significant will be the total benefit. Below are
   listed some plant material which can be used around homes, parks or
   city streets. All are highly attractive to bees except where noted.
   Attractiveness may vary in different regions. Most of the berry and
   seed bearing plants also produce good forage for birds.

   This list is not complete and all plants may not thrive in all parts
   of the state. Consult any reference on landscape plants or your
   Cooperative Extension agent for further information about how to use
   some of these. You may also want to visit local gardens or plantings
   for ideas.

  Ground Covers
     * Ladino clover - blooms late spring-summer
     * Crimson clover - blooms late spring
     * Ajuga - blooms spring
     * Graph Hyacinth - blooms spring
     * Strawberry - blooms spring
     * Ampelopsis brevipedunculosa - blooms late spring

  Shrubs
     * Barberry (Berberissp.) - blooms spring: evergreen*
     * Vitex - blooms most of summer: deciduous
     * Privet (Ligustrum) - blooms late spring: may produce bitter nectar
     * Abelia - blooms summer/fall; evergreen; mildly attractive
     * Quince (Chaenomeles) - blooms spring
     * Blueberry (Vaccinium) - blooms spring
     * Silverberry (Eleagnus) - blooms late spring; deciduous; fragrant*
     * Nandina - blooms summer; mildly attractive
     * Pieris (Pieris japonica - blooms spring; evergreen
     * Holly (Ilex) especially I. burfordi, I. cornuta, I. rotunda;
       blooms spring; almost all species excellent nectar source; may
       require pruning*
     * Euonymous - blooms summer; variable attractiveness among species
     * Silverling (Baccharis halimifolia) - blooms fall; native aster
       shrub in coastal plain and piedmont
     * Pepperbush (Clethra alnifolia) - blooms late spring; native
       coastal plain shrub, survives piedmont; evergreen*

  Small Trees
     * Red Bud (Cercis) - blooms early spring; native or cultivated
       varieties
     * Apple, Crabapple (Malus) - blooms early spring; usually requires
       pruning*
     * Pussy Willow (Salix) - blooms early spring; most Salix spp. good
     * Golden Rain Tree (Koelreuteria paniculata)_ - blooms summer
     * Sourwood (Oxydendron arboreum) - blooms midsummer; irregular
       nectar production
     * Sumac (Rhus) - blooms summer/fall; shrub or small tree; deciduous*
     * Holly (Ilex) - blooms spring; many species achieve tree status if
       unpruned*
     * Beebee Tree (Evodia danielli) - blooms late summer
     * Hercules Club (Aralia spinossa) - blooms late summer

  Large Trees
   Maple (Acer spp.), especially A. rubrum, A. ginnala - blooms early
       spring; good nectar production
     * Linden, Basswood (Tilia - blooms in spring; excellent nectar
       production
     * Black Locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) - blooms spring; inconsistent
       nectar production
     * Tulip, Yellow Poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera) - blooms spring;
       fast growing; excellent nectar production
     * Black Gum, Tupelo (Nyssa) - blooms spring; Tupelo requires moist
       soil
     * Persimmon (Diospyros) - blooms late spring

     _________________________________________________________________

   *Also provides food/cover for birds.

  Suggested References

   Honey Plants Manual. H.B. Lovell. 1966. A.I. Root Co., Medina, OH
   44256.

   American Honey Plants. F.C. Pellett. 1947. Orange Judd, NY.

   "Bee Forage of North America." Ayers & Harman, in Hive and Honey Bee.
   1922. Dadant & Sons, Hamilton, IL.

---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ ... Barbs has it, like a bee.