Subject: new colonies in New England

From: Ellen-Rose Savulis <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Jul 1996 23:47:31 GMT

Greetings!
     I am a backyard beekeeper who has "volunteered" to help a 
local farmer work 20 plus hives this summer.  I am learning more 
everyday and am really enjoying the experience.  I recently 
heard that these new colonies were abandoned by the original 
migratory beekeeper this summer and I only got the second deep 
supers put on ony a week ago.  They were honey-bound and quite 
strong.  I have some questions about late summer/fall management 
which I would appreciate some help with.  My objective is to have 
very strong colonies for pollenation purposes next spring. 
     The farmer I'm working with wants to get some honey from the 
colonies.  However, I'm inclined to start medicating right away. 
Is there still time to get honey from these new hives or would it 
be better to be more conservative in my approach?  When is the 
latest that I should start medicating?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Personal email is fine.
Thanks!

Ellen-Rose Savulis
[email-masked]