Subject: Bees, Apis and non apis species

From: [email-masked] (Peter Murphy)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 96 03:55:50 GMT

Can anybody tell me if there are any non Apis species of bees in Europe, if 
so how many and how long have they existed together with the Apis species?
A tall order I know but maybe someone out there knows or knows where to look, 
any help appreciated.

Peter Murphy
[email-masked]

Cheers

Peter Murphy

Tamworth New South Wales, Country Music Capital of Australia

---

From: [email-masked] (Malcolm Roe)
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 12:45:17 GMT

> A tall order I know but maybe someone out there knows or knows where to look, 

There are literally hundreds of species.  Most are solitary but there
are several tens of species of bumblebees which are all colonial (apart
>from  a number of Psithyrus species which parasitize other bumblebees).

Honey bees and most, at least, of the non-apis species are indigenous
so they have, presumably, been present at least since Europe warmed up
after the last ice age.

--
________________________________________________________________________
Malcolm Roe  [email-masked]
             Hewlett-Packard Laboratories Bristol
             Filton Road, Stoke Gifford, Bristol, BS12 6QZ, UK
             Tel: +44 117 922 9331       Fax: +44 117 922 8920