Subject: Drawing Foundation Second Hive Body

From: [email-masked] (Jack Price)
Date: 5 Sep 1996 00:40:56 GMT

I recently placed a second hive body with foundation on my congested 
hive with sugar syrup and pollen substitute.  I examined the hive two 
weeks later and was surprised to find no comb building. The brood nest 
shows a strong pattern with solid honey and pollen stores with no 
evidence of disease.  The second body was placed in mid-august with fair
weather, temperatures in the 80-90 range and abundant late summer bloom 
in area.  Why no building activity and should I remove the second hive 
body before winter?  Hives are located in the southwest Piedmont region 
of Virginia.  Thanks!

---

From: Gerry Visel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 10:39:53 -0700

If the bottom box keeps the bees "honey bound" (solid honey over the 
brood,) the queen won't go up to lay.  You might try moving some frames 
up from the bottom box to spread things around and encourage upward 
travel.

Gerry

---

From: [email-masked] (Walker Decker)
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 02:16:32 GMT

Jack,

[email-masked] (Jack Price) wrote:

->I recently placed a second hive body with foundation on my congested 
->hive with sugar syrup and pollen substitute.  I examined the hive two 
->weeks later and was surprised to find no comb building...

  It has been my experience that the bees will not draw new comb
(outside of the Spring build-up), even when heavily fed, if they have
ANY place to store the syrup/nectar.

  You state that the hive appears congested, which I assume you mean
it has a lot of bees. But what about storage space? Are all the side
combs full of capped honey? Also, what type of foundation are you
using?

->in area.  Why no building activity and should I remove the second hive 
->body before winter?

  If you are using standard wax foundation, the bees will probably
knaw some holes in it or build uneven comb if it is left on. This
probably isn't a major concern, so you could wait and see what happens
and plan to take it off towards the end of October.

  I'm curious what you do experience as far as the Fall honeyflow in
your area of Virginia, so let me know.

  Walker Decker
  Kinsale, VA

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 12 Sep 1996 04:44:00 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Jack

>body before winter?  Hives are located in the southwest Piedmont region 

    If you placed ten frames of foundation in the hive body, they often do
not even start on in, with the possible exception of a good strong spring
flow.  I have even seen bees in the spring swarm rather than starting a
whole box of foundation.

   To bait the bees into it, put at least a frame of comb or honey into
the box.  When I draw foundation, I usually make up the boxes with frames
of rather poor comb in the two outside (wall) positions, and one to three
very good frames in the central part.  I try to chose newly made ones with
fairly light wax for these center positions, and often alternate frames of
comb and foundation.  If there is a little honey, nectar, or just being
wet from extraction, they will jump on it quicker. Once they are on a
comb, they will draw foundation on an adjacent frame much better.

   Alternatively, you can put up frames of brood to pull them up into the
box, assuming the boxes are the same size.  But be careful now, as colder
weather gets nearer, not to divide the brood too much, if a cold night is
forecast.  The bees may not be able to cover both places, and some brood
may be abandoned.

    If they do not fill the second body, yes, do remove it before winter. 
It will be empty space that they will have to heat, and they may also chew
up and damage the foundation that is not yet drawn.

   Never leave empty boxes over bees during cold weather.  Their survival
chances will be seriously reduced.

[email-masked]                                   Dave and Janice Green
Practical Pollination Home Page    
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html  
PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554