Subject: bee problems

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Jul 1996 04:37:53 GMT

Mike Carbiener <[email-masked]> writes:
>I received a 4-5 lb swarm about a week ago which I promptly put in a 
>hive. I noticed when I put them in that they split into two groups, 
>each clustering towards opposite sides of the super.  When I went back 
>a week later, about half the bees had left and moved into the side of 
>someones house. When I opened the brood chamber, I couldnt find the 
>queen nor did I see any eggs or larva. There was plenty of pollen and 
>nectar though and the start of a couple of queen cells.
>My questions are, could it be possible I had two queens?  Why did the 
>queen abandon my hive?  Why did half of the bees stay?  Why are they 
>building queen cells if there are no eggs, do I have laying workers?
>Should I order a new queen or wait a week and reinspect? And finally, 
>how do I get the bees out of the side of these people's house without 
>killing them or tearing apart their wall.  I'm a starving student so 
>hiring a bee remover is going to kill me. I have access to another 
>healthy hive, should I remove a frame of brood and place it in my 
>hive? and if so how do I do it so that the two groups of bees don't 
>fight?
>Thanks for your help
>-- 
>Mike Carbiener
>
>http://www.netcom.com/~bermshot/
the answer s to your questions are in Apis news letter @apis home page good luck