Subject: Preferred bee/bee supplies company

From: randy nessler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 12:42:32 -0500

I'm going to set up between 1-4 hives in the spring of '97, and am
looking for input on who to/not to buy equipment and bees from.  A
coworker's father gave me ~4 hives worth of equipment, I'll just need
foundations and bee kits/packages.  I posed this question of the bee
listserver, mentioning that I had visited this group before, and they
requested that I find out and cross post.  I am leaning towards Dadant,
as they are fairly close to where I live (I'm in SE Iowa).  Suggestions?
-- 
Randy Nessler
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Aaron Morris)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 08:58:44 EDT

In article <[email-masked]>,
randy nessler  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>Suggestions (for reputable equipment and bee suppliers)?
>
 
To which Adam F. responded:
>I have had good queens from David Miksa, Roy Weaver and Wilbanks
>apiaries. All of these operations are first rate and would stand behind
>their product 100%.
>
 
I'll add endorsements for York Bees in Jessup, Georgia and Rossman
Apiaries (don't have their address).  I'll echo Adam's endorsement of
Roy Weaver and add one for B. Weaver also - both Weavers are members
of a strong beekeeping family.
 
There are many good equipment supplies out there: Dadant, Mann Lake,
Brushy Mountain, Miller, Western Bee Supply, Rossman's carries a nice
line of cyprus equipment (a bit pricey but it lasts forever!),
Better Bee, and many others.  These guys advertise regularly in the
bee journals (American Bee Journal and Bee Culture to name two).
Check either for the addresses for suppliers, get a few catalogs and
compare prices, which will be more or less comparable.  Equipment
prices will also vary based on the quality you purchase: select,
commercial or budget.  Also watch for sales.  Some suppliers offer
the "deal of the month" where you may get good bargains on selected
pieces of equipment.
 
Finally, be aware of the suppliers' location in relation to your own.
For me, the savings that may be had buying from Western Bee Supplies
get eaten up by UPS shipping charges from the west coast to the east.
You may find a dealer within driving distance where equipment is more
costly, but when you factor in shipping costs it may be cheaper to buy
more expensive supplies locally.
 
Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!

---

From: [email-masked] (Janet A. Katz)
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 08:19:18 GMT

>as they are fairly close to where I live (I'm in SE Iowa).  Suggestions?

I've always been happy with mail order from Brushy Mountain Bee Farm,
Inc. in North Carolina. 1-800-BEESWAX.

---

From: "Bruce A. Vance" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 08:26:02 -0500

> as they are fairly close to where I live (I'm in SE Iowa).  Suggestions?

You might also consider Walter T. Kelly, in Clarkson, Kentucky.  They've 
been in business a long time, and have an excellent reputation.

Bruce Vance (in southern Indiana)

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 25 Jul 1996 04:45:44 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
randy nessler  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I posed this question of the bee

Adam
-- 
_________________
Adam Finkelstein                    
[email-masked]