Subject: Re: Observation Hive: glass or plexiglass?

From: [email-masked] (John Caldeira)
Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 11:32:48 GMT

[email-masked] (David J Trickett) wrote:

>Anybody tried using plexiglass or lexan (spelling?) instead of glass in 
>an observation hive? 

Yes.  I have used plexiglass for three semi-permanent observation
hives that are for public viewing at nature museums.  It is much safer
than glass and viewing is just as good. 

  The plexiglass does get a very film of propolis on it as time goes
on. I replace most plexiglass after a year or two.  Not sure if they
propolis it more than glass, though.

Cheers,
John in Dallas

---

From: [email-masked] (BusyKnight)
Date: Tue, 07 May 1996 10:05:05 GMT

[email-masked] (David J Trickett) wrote:
> wondering if the bees would be more inclined to 
>propolizing a non-glass surface.
  My observation hive uses glass and its been my
experience that the bees tend to put a very thin layer
of wax over everything - including glass!   I don't get
the problem of warping that some observation hives
suffer from plexiglas (but then again, the unescorted
plubic doesn't see my hive so I don't have the potential
for someone  'breaking' the glass either).

BusyKnight
Dallas, TX

---

From: [email-masked] (David J Trickett)
Date: 11 May 1996 03:26:28 GMT

Anybody tried using plexiglass or lexan (spelling?) instead of glass in 
an observation hive?  I'm wondering if the bees would be more inclined to 
propolizing a non-glass surface.

Dave

---

From: Graham & Annie Law <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 15:25:05 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, David J Trickett
<[email-masked]> writes
>Anybody tried using plexiglass....

I have not tried plastics but one real big advantage of glass is the
ease of scrapping when spring cleaning.  Currently I use hermatically
sealed double glazed units made to measure.  For my next Ob hive I'm
going to see if my glazier can make a double glazed unit with glass
towards the bees and plexiglass on the outside.  This should give the
best combination of durabilty, insulation and safety.

Graham
Graham Law
[email-masked]

Winning the rat race still makes you a rat.

---

From: [email-masked] (Aaron Morris)
Date: Tue, 14 May 96 09:56:27 EDT

>propolizing a non-glass surface.
 
I always use plexiglass for the obvious reason that it is less inclined
to break.  A warning though, plexiglass if flexible and can be pushed
into the frames.  To protect against this I install wooden spacers to
keep the plexiglass away from the frames, hence preventing bees from
being crushed.
 
Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!

---

From: [email-masked] (John E. Taylor III)
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 01:25:53 GMT

>propolizing a non-glass surface.

BTW, it's spelled "Plexiglas (R) acrylic sheet".  And "Lexan (R)
polycarbonate sheet."

Rohm and Haas is very particular about its trademarks being used
correctly, and I suspect GE is as well.

--
John E. Taylor III  W3ZID
E-mail:  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (David J Trickett)
Date: 15 May 1996 03:08:26 GMT

John E. Taylor III ([email-masked]) wrote:
: [email-masked] (David J Trickett) wrote:

: >Anybody tried using plexiglass or lexan (spelling?) instead of glass in 
: >an observation hive?  I'm wondering if the bees would be more inclined to 
: >propolizing a non-glass surface.

: BTW, it's spelled "Plexiglas (R) acrylic sheet".  And "Lexan (R)
: polycarbonate sheet."

: Rohm and Haas is very particular about its trademarks being used
: correctly, and I suspect GE is as well.

: --
: John E. Taylor III  W3ZID
: E-mail:  [email-masked]

Well,

I'm still honoring the GE Boycott so I suppose you've simplified my 
decision.  (I suppose I could always log onto the TRI Database and find 
something egregious enough about R&H's Philadelphia plant to include them.)

Dave

---

From: [email-masked] (David J Trickett)
Date: 15 May 1996 03:17:54 GMT

Thanks to all who replied.  THis particular Obs hive will be installed in
the study on a swinging frame (flexible plastic tube for connection to
outside), so I think I will just go with double strength glass, and
consider other materials if I build one for honey shows. 

Dave