Subject: Bee Propolis

From: Beehive Botanicals <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Mar 1996 14:46:06 GMT

Dear Beekeepers,

I write you today to start a discussion on bee propolis.  Our company has 
been in business for over 25 years.  We collect, refine and market bee 
products in raw material form as well as consumer goods.  We are the 
largest dealer in bee propolis in North America.  The demand for propolis 
is growing tremondously, especially in countries in Asia Pacific Rim.

I would like to get information on the following:

#1.  How many beehives in the USA and in Canada?
#2.  How many beekeepers collect propolis?
#3.  How much propolis do you think is available if all propolis was 
collected?
#4.  For those beekeepers that are not currently saving propolis, how 
much $$$ would they need to make it worthwhile?
#5.  Are you aware of the health benefits from propolis?

These questions are just a starting point for what I hope will be a very 
interesting discussion for us all.  Please feel free to contact me if you 
have questions of your own.

Best Regards,

Linda Graham

---

From: [email-masked] (Kirk & Sharon Jones)
Date: 14 Mar 1996 04:36:25 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, Beehive Botanicals
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Dear Beekeepers,
> 
> I write you today to start a discussion on bee propolis. 
> 
> 
> Linda Graham

We have been collecting some propolis. What is the going rate and what is
your address?

Kirk Jones
Sleeping Bear Apiaries, Ltd.

---

From: Robert Allen Stevens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 96 15:41:24 -0500

One of the aspects I wonder about with Propolis is how it can be
standardized. We
read studies that have been done on the various commercially sold
preperations of garlic tablets and ginseng tablets which have found
that they vary enormously in the
amounts of active ingredients they possess. If this is true of
preparations from a single plant, wouldn't it be much more true for
propolis which comes from different trees in different locations?
What labs, if any, have done the actually testing of propolis? I'm
not trying to debunk propolis.  I'd like to see some hard scientific
evidence that it contains what they say it does and what its efficacy
is. It could be that propolis from one part of the country or world
is better than that from another, and consequently the harvesting of
it should be stressed in that area. If the stuff is really good,
let's document it and get it out of the hands of the health food
faddist  and into the hands of the general public.

---

From: Robert Allen Stevens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 96 15:41:24 -0500