Subject: Ever hear of "tupolo" honey???

From: [email-masked] (GolfDrvr)
Date: 26 Sep 1996 20:27:35 -0400

A friend of mine had mentioned that I try using tupolo honey in my
mead...any ideas on this..at first I thought he was giving me the old
"snipe hunt" routine...but apparently he is VERY serious..Thanks in
advance...

marc

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 27 Sep 1996 12:53:23 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (GolfDrvr)

>"snipe hunt" routine...but apparently he is VERY serious..Thanks in

   Tupelo honey (made from the tupelo tree blossoms) is made in the
southeast along the river swamps.  The honey is light and mild, and very
slow to granulate. Because it took years to granulate, it used to be used
for wound dressings in the military (any honey is good for this, but
crystallizing is a limitation of the shelf-life).

   I can put you in contact with one South Carolina beekeeper who
specializes in this honey.  You could also check with Georgia or Florida
bee associations or extension bee specialists.  There used to be an
association in North Florida which certified tupelo honey.  I haven't
heard whether they still exist.

   Our tupelo in South Carolina has been extensively cut over, and it is
hard to find mature stands.  The only one I know of is in prime bear
country, and I won't risk my bees there.

   I can't think of any reason why tupelo honey would be preferred for
mead.  Personally, I'd like a honey with more character, such as a fruity
blackberry, or tangy sourwood, or orange blossom, or even buckwheat for a
good hearty taste. Tupelo seems rather insipid to me.

[email-masked]                                   Dave and Janice Green
Practical Pollination Home Page    
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html  
PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554