Subject: Re: Plastic Frames

From: [email-masked] (Walker Decker)
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 00:23:11 GMT

Bill Fernihough <[email-masked]> wrote:

->I've had that experience if I mixed plastic and wood in the same hive, 
->and have found that unless the hive is strong, plastic is not the way to 
->go.  Otherwise, I really like the plastic frames, and have had good luck 

  I'm using Pierco plastic frames exclusively and find them to be
excellent. However, it is apparent that small differences in the
methods being used may lead to widely conflicting results.

  I never use excluders; only use medium depth hive bodies; ***only
put the new (undrawn) frames on during the honeyflow in the Spring***,
or just previous to it; find that the bees will draw wax on wax-coated
or uncoated plastic frames equally as well (or for that matter,
anything!) when frames are added ONLY during the honeyflow; always use
10 frames per body and press the frames tightly together, in other
words, don't try to space them.

  The one thing I've noticed is that the bees seem to build more burr
combs between the supers than I remember when using only wooden
frames. I'm guessing that there is some dimensional distance that is
different with the plastic. Perhaps the "bee space" is outside the
limit? There is also the possibility that since the Pierco frames
allow the bees to build comb right to the very top of the frame, the
bees are encouraged to continue the comb on to the bottom of the next
frame in the upper body. If other beekeepers haven't had a problem
with this, I'd like to know what their thoughts are.

  The plastic frames have too many advantages in my estimation to
abandon them. I think it is worth the trouble to figure out ways to
solve the problems that come up. There is no reason why the design
can't be improved upon, but only through widespread use can troubles
be discovered and solutions found.

  Walker Decker