Subject: Re: Importation

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 00:25:00 GMT

*More is heard from the bee breeding industry on less restrictive
imports on honeybees and semen. From the bee list group.

                    ----------------------------------------
From: "Susan W. Cobey" <[email-masked]>
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 1996 11:00:07 -0500
Subject:      Re: Importation

Concerning importation, some good points are being brought up.

Andy,
I think we need a higher level of sophistication in bee breeding in this
industry and am hoping the ability to import stock will stimulate this, and
develop more competition to push queen producers in this direction. I
agree, we need to get beyond the value of this solely in marketing.  As
mentioned, there are lots of failures in maintaining imported stock and in
breeding programs in general. This is expensive, labor intensive and takes
a degree of expertise and a major long term commitment- which few are
prepared to give.  But, let's have a level playing field.

I'm not advocating an open door policy. We need a mechanism here to
discourage the uncontrolled,  illegal importation of stock - Isn't this why
we have parasitic mites. (The grass always looks greener!) The law is too
restrictive and pocket importation too easy. A protocol need to be
established to make this safe and effective, plus restrict it to those who
can maintain and propagate it for the industry.

Susan Cobey
Ohio State University
Dept. of Entomology
1735 Neil Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210
Tel.(614) 292-7928
Fax (614) 292 2180
---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ I Love HONEY! I Love HONEY! I Love HONEY! I Love U HONEY!