Subject: [Fwd: Aspiring Beekeeper]

From: "Todd A. Caldwell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 23:32:04 -0400

Subject: Aspiring Beekeeper
From: "Todd A. Caldwell" <[email-masked]>
To: sci.agriculture.beekeeping
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 18:40:28 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.agriculture.beekeeping

This year I have decided to take the plunge into hobbyist beekeeping.  With no
prior experience and many questions I would be greatly appreciative for any advice
that you could provide.

I am working with one base unit and one super.  There are four pounds of Georgia
bees being delivered in May.  The kit also came with a smoker, a feeder, a scraper
and the necessary protective garments.

These are some of the questions I have:

-	Are there any steps that can be taken to insure that the transplanted bees
	take to their new home quickly?

-	On the hive, the size of the entrance can be adjusted.  Does it matter what
	size is used?

-	How much honey can be harvested from a hive of this size and how much 
	should be expected during the first year?

-	How much honey should be left for the bees' own consumption and the
	winter hold over?

-	How do you keep only 1 queen in your hive and how to determine when
	she should be substituted by a younger one?

-	What are the steps to keep bees happy, productive and disease free?

-	Most of the FAQs that I see are about advanced topics.  Is there
	a list or site that specializes in beginner questions.

Any advice on these topics or any other information that you could give would
-be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Todd Caldwell
([email-masked])