Subject: Re: Beekeeping Book

From: [email-masked] (MURRAY,JEFFREY P)
Date: 09 Sep 1996 15:49:45 -0400

>He hasn't purchased any new books since about 5 years
>ago.  Are there any great books that you would recommend?
>
>John Hopkins
>

   You might want to get the latest revision of "The Hive and
the Honey Bee" from Dadant Press. Their latest revision came
out less than 5 years ago, and it's a dandy source of information.
I'm sure someone else from the net can get you a pointer to Dadant,
or you may be able to find a local store in your phone book.

   Jef

-- 
==========================================================================
"There is more to life than increasing its speed...." Mohandas K. Gandhi

Jef                                  Internet: [email-masked]
==========================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (John Hopkins)
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 1996 19:40:20 GMT

I need your help.  My father in Law is really into beekeeping.  He
reads just about everything that he possibly can.  He subscribes to
several magazines.  I would like to get him a book for his birthday
coming toward the end of the month.  I am wondering is there an
encyclopedia for beekeeping?  If so where can I get a copy?  If not
what would be an excellant book for a well read bee keeper, and how
could I get it?  He hasn't purchased any new books since about 5 years
ago.  Are there any great books that you would recommend?

John Hopkins

---

From: [email-masked] (Joel Govostes)
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 19:16:27 -0500

> ago.  Are there any great books that you would recommend?

Try THE ILLUSTRATED ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BEEKEEPING, ed. by Morse & Hooper
or
the new version of ABC & XYZ of BEEKEEPING (totally revamped in recent years)
or
Dr. Eva Crane also came out with an *extremely* exhaustive reference text,
I think entitled BEES & HONEY  (Corrections solicited).  ( This one
published perhaps 6-7 years ago)

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Birchall)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 13:55:20 GMT

> published perhaps 6-7 years ago)

I've tried to get hold of the illustrated Encyclopaedia of Beekkeeping
fairly recently, but was informed that it is out of print. Can anybody
suggest a source for this book, or if it is likely to be re-printed ?

I've always found Hoopers Bees and Honey to be very useful, albeit from a
British perspective.

cheers - Steve

---

From: Alan Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 16:14:51 +0100

> ago.  Are there any great books that you would recommend?

I very much enjoyed

The Wisdom of the Hive: Social Physiology of Honey Bee colonies

Thomas D Seeley
Harvard University Press (1995)
ISBN 0674953762

---

From: [email-masked] (Beefriend)
Date: 11 Sep 1996 02:56:55 -0400

My favorite gift book is "The Honey Bee" by Gould & Gould, now available
in paperback.  Published by Scientific American Library (a division of
HPHLP) in 1988.  beautifuly illustrated, it recounts how bee researchers
elicited what we know about books.  Really fascinating.

David Morris
Laurel, Md

---

From: "fs1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 12:08:07 GMT

test

---

From: [email-masked] (Tracy Aquilla)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 11:26:11 GMT

>Harvard University Press (1995)

Seely's books are great. They are written from the perspective of a
ecologist/socio-biologist and are full of interesting details. Highly
recommended whether you're into the science of it or not.
Tracy

---

From: [email-masked] (Tracy Aquilla)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 11:30:15 GMT

In Article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>or you may be able to find a local store in your phone book.

Of cpourse, this is THE text on beekeeping. I also recommend a book called
The Art of Beekeeping by Abis (don't have it handy, but can look up details
if you ask). This is somewhat of a beginners book, but the author's family
has been keeping bees literally forever, hence the family name, and there
are many interesting anecdotes worth reading, even for experienced
beekeepers.