Subject: South Carolina losses

From: [email-masked](Jan S Rosenbaum)
Date: 12 May 1996 15:00:27 GMT

Interested in hearing abou winter losses in South Carolina, especially
>from  mites or other disease/pests

---

From: dave macfawn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 15:19:43 GMT

I had six hives going into the winter and all six survived.  I put terra
patties on the hives all winter thru the first part of March.  I treated for
Varroa mites last August/September and again put strips in the later part of
January, removing the strips the first part of March.  I had one hive to swarm
the second week of March which I was able to put into a hive on drawn comb. 
The honey flow started late here in Lexington (Gilbert), SC with the swarm
being able to hatch brood...they have now stored approx. 3 supers of honey
(drawn comb in the supers - I had the swarm on a Maxant type hive scale).  The
honey flow started approx 3-4 weeks ago in earnest.  The swarm was gaining
initially approx 3 pounds a day and for 10 days or so it put on 8 pounds or so
a day.  The last 4-5 days, the weight gain has dropped back to the 3-4 pound
range.  I believe the honey flow is tapering off.

Reports from other members of the Mid-State Beekeepers Association indicate
that we have had a lot of winter/mite kill.  From what I can gather/infer
probably in the 20-30% range.  Henry Lightner (sp?) in Winnsboro had over 700
hives and he is now down to around 20 hives.  Henry did not treat for Varroa
mites.  This is the stock that H. Babcock (Blue Ridge Apairies) selected his
Lightner stock from.

Jan, where in SC are you located?

Dave M.

>==========Jan S Rosenbaum, 5/12/96==========
>

dave macfawn
AT&T Global Information Solutions
[email-masked]
(803) 939-7409

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 16 May 1996 00:11:58 -0400

>from mites or other disease/pests

May 13, 1996

    Our losses on the coast were higher than we would have found
acceptable in pre-mite days,  around 20%.  (You might keep in mind that we
also tend to eliminate hives in the fall that we KNOW are not going to
make it.)   We had to feed a lot more than usual, due to the late, late
spring, but they've come on fairly well.  We're seeing some swarming now,
nearly a month late.  There was almost no early swarming.  I caught a wild
swarm today, not from my own bees, and went after one Saturday, but they
left before we arrived.   Last year I caught eight wild spring swarms,
which I kept separate and did not treat for varroa.  Six died over the
summer; one died in late winter; and the last is going strong and looking
very good.   Maybe that one will make me a millionaire.........

   On the piedmont, I hear reports of heavy losses in some areas, up to
100%.  Some have been buying nucs and packages for replacements.

   Bees are in short supply all across the southeast, for melons, etc.
Some of our beekeepers have just faded out.  We expect to turn away some
pollination orders, though we have not yet booked every hive.  We are
placing the first on watermelons this week.  Last year we placed quite a
few on melons in the last week of April, so you see how late the season
is.

[email-masked]    Dave and Janice Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554

Practical Pollination Home Page
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

[email-masked]                                   Dave Green
Practical Pollination Home Page    
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html  
PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554

---

From: Jan Rosenbaum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 23:12:33 -0400

dave macfawn wrote:
> (803) 939-7409Dave -
I am in NY, just outside NYC. I have a friend in beekeeping here that 
lost all 25 hives. He ordered new ones from SC and has been put off for 
delivery. He is concerned about mites in SC - wants to make sure that 
his order is healthy.
Jan