Subject: Re: process cappings? What about "robber bees"

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 15 Feb 1996 06:48:31 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Peter Amschel)
writes:

>I will be sure that 
>my bee babies will never forage for actual honey, but only for the nectar
of 
>flowers. It will be prohibited for them for as long as I am their
husband!

   In view of the potential problems, this could be the wisest choice for
many to not feed back wet cappings or supers.  

   But never say never, when it comes to robbing.  There is, after all:
the housewife who puts an open, unwashed jar of honey in the dumpster, the
spring deadout with LOTS of honey in the neighborhood (perhaps even in a
tree or house), the hive dying with varroa that is too weak to defend
itself, the hummingbird feeders that people fill with honey water (against
recommendations), etc. It could even be the frame you dropped and stepped
on, while working the bees, and the comb fell out, or the ones smashed
beyond repair by bears (boy, can that make a robbing frenzy!!).

   Our wildlife people pour honey all over a bear trap, when they are
trying to capture a bear (a dumb practice I've endeavored to stop).

   So there is always a potential for bees to rob, and sooner or later,
during a barren time, they will.

[email-masked]    Dave Green, PO Box 1200, Hemingway,  SC  29554

[email-masked]                                   Dave Green
Dave's Pollination Service         Eastern Pollinator Newsletter
PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554