Subject: The Whooping Crane

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 19:48:00 GMT

The Whooping Crane, North America's Symbol of Conservation
by Jerome J. Pratt $12.95 US $17.75 CAN plus $2.50 postage US.

Yes, this has nothing to do with honeybees, but it does have
a whole lot to do with a small pay back to a conservationist that
at two different times many years apart mustered other conservationists
to protect beekeepers and the majestic mesquite tree from eradication
and without hesitation joined the lonely beekeeper and helped
protect us all from the overwhelming will of cattle ranchers, university
professors, state and federal bureaucrats to STOP the indiscriminate
eradication of the mesquite and other desert wildflowers by mechanical
and chemical's means in a large area of south western Arizona.

I say lonely as you are never as alone then when you as a beekeeper
challenge the will of the majority, it's educational, and regulatory
systems, and only armed with your own knowledge that what they have done
or would do is wrong because it will damage the environment that you
live in and your bees depend on for a living. You feel as one who has
some perverse honor to speak naked at your own funeral wake and knowing
the fate that awaits you can only say what is truly in your heart with
no real expectations of wining back such a black day. And along come's a
man like Jerome Pratt and recognizes that special spark of truth in
your words and honesty in your cause and joins with his fellow
conservationists to hold back the mighty powers that would sacrifice all
for the narrow views of the majority who are not always's in the right
despite what we are all taught at early ages in our schools.

Mr. Pratt is now an old man, a title of reverence and respect I hold
for a few that are older then me. He has written a book about his own
and the total efforts of a few to bring the American Whooping Crane back
>from  a total population of 15 in 1941 to 300 it is today in 1996. This
is an effort that extends from north of the Peace River in the Canadian
Wood Buffalo National Park, the whooper's nesting grounds to the
wintering grounds in the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. The book is
soft covered with pictures and 171 pages. It has nothing to do with
keeping bees but chronicles an amazing effort at conservation that
all beekeeper's could benefit by knowing how a few can do what the many
in the know said was impossible and the one man who has been a
leader in this effort for more years then I have had life if you can
imagine someone who in 1938 the year I was born was already recognized
as the most outstanding breeder of quail in America and had a federal
scientific permit for the collection and experimental breeding of
migratory birds issued in 1937.

I am myself a LIFE Member of the Wooping Crane Conservation Association
but not an active member as I have only followed the good works of
others. I offer you this chance to purchase this book that I very much
doubt you will ever find in the chain book stores and because I have
made arrangements with my own local book seller who will send to
you postpaid in the US and Canada this book on receiving of your check,
cash, or whatever you have to trade worth the $12.95 US cost of the
book.

If you want to use your Master or Visa you can e-mail me the numbers and
you will see Phoenix Books on your next bill in the amount of $12.95.
plus $2.50 postage ($15.45 total). We can not make off shore shipments
without recovering to cost of the postage, but Canadian's can remit
$12.95 US plus $2.50 postage or $17.75+ CAN and we will ship the book.

                          ttul Andy-

                   Address via US Mail for this book is:
               Phoenix Books    voice number is 209-826-3797
                      936 6th Street
                     Los Banos, Ca 93635

                  On-Line BBS Orders Master/Visa only:
                           209-826-8107  28.8 bd
---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ ... He has heard the quail and beheld the honey-bee,

---

From: "Theodore V. Fischer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 13:35:59 -0400

> and chemical's means in a large area of south western Arizona.
This is probably news to some, but there are university professors, cattle ranchers, yes, 
even state and federal bureaucrats who are also beekeepers and conservationists, and who 
love the wilderness and its trees, wildflowers, birds and other wildlife as much as anyone 
else.

Ted Fischer