Subject: What happens if a neighbor gets stung?

From: [email-masked] (Rita Pirone Noak)
Date: 5 Apr 1996 03:06:26 GMT

My wife ask me to post this: (my E-mail don't work, post here please)
 What legal precedents have been established if a neighbor gets stung and
suffers adversely from an insect sting.  We live in a suburb outside of 
Austin in a community, 1 acre lots, 1 bee hive, water available for the 
bees.  

This has not happened and in fact several of our beekeeper buddies live
in the city with hives.

Chris Noak

---

From: [email-masked] (Doug Johnson)
Date: 5 Apr 1996 15:36:02 GMT

Rita Pirone Noak ([email-masked]) wrote:
% My wife ask me to post this: (my E-mail don't work, post here please)
%  What legal precedents have been established if a neighbor gets stung and
% suffers adversely from an insect sting.  We live in a suburb outside of 
% Austin in a community, 1 acre lots, 1 bee hive, water available for the 
% bees.  

% This has not happened and in fact several of our beekeeper buddies live
% in the city with hives.

I think each case would be on a one by one basis.  I thing if there are
any precedents it would have to do with bees.  Things like there are bees
around even when your have is not there.  So how can anyone say they are
your bees when they are there naturally.  If you remove your bees there
will still be bees in the area.

I had a neighbor who's kid got stung and I just gave them general tips
on what not to do.  In this person's case they had a kiddie pool that
was always filled with water and in the same spot.  This is were the
child got stung.  They started emptying it when done and moved it everyday
and there was no more problem.

--
Doug
[email-masked]

	Any day I wake up
	without a tag on
	my toe is a good day!

---

From: [email-masked] (Joel Govostes)
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 1996 12:51:00 -0500

Lock your doors, turn out the lights, and hide.

There are so many species of stinging insects which live in and around
homes.  If anyone gets "bit" by any one of them, it is presumed to be your
fault because you have bees.  (If you are accused just ask them to show
you the actual insect that did the deed.)  Tell them all your bees are
labeled with wing tags.

I guess you'd just have to be pleasant about it, express your concern, and
inform them of how best to avoid and treat stings from any insect. Sure,
if there was a sting left in the wound it was doubtless a honey bee, but
whose?  As Roger Morse has often said, they can ban bees all they want,
but as long as you have flowering plants they're going to be there anyway,
so there's not much point.