Subject: Re: science project

From: Bill Henderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 10:45:09 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>
        Mike Everhart <[email-masked]> writes: 

> I am a science teacher and am wondering if there are any bee hives that 
> can be placed against a 2nd story classroom window so that the kids can 
> watch the bees. I would appreciate any help/information. Thanks!
> Pam

Hello Pam

You can get an observation hive which has glass sides and can sit 
*inside* your class room. They usually only have one brood bar and 
one or two "storage" bars.

I had one in my class for about three years and it worked well.

Try to find a local bee keeper and ask where he gets his supplies. 
They should be able to help. At the very least they will be able to 
show you a photograph in a catalogue.

Good luck
-- 
Bill       Br of Cally, Perthshire, Scotland
e-mail     [email-masked]
packet     GM0VIT@GB7YEW.#79.GBR.EU

---

From: A. J. deLange <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Sep 1996 16:54:53 GMT

>watch the bees. I would appreciate any help/information. Thanks!

"Observation Hives" are small hives that hold 1 frame instead of
the usual 9 or 10. The sides of the hive are of glass rather than
wood so that one can observe the goings on inside. The bees
access the hive through a tube which passes from the hive to
the exterior through a hole in the wall. The hives are inexpensive
and are stocked with a small (1 lb) swarm of bees. They are available
>from  apiarists supply houses (as are the bees). I would think the
major issue for the classroom setting would be getting the
hole through the wall. The time to set all this up is in the spring.
The activity of drawing out comb, egg laying, nurture of the grubs
and collection of the spring honey flow takes place then.

AJ
[email-masked]