Subject: Cheerios campaign...

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 96 00:23:28 -0500

THE FOLLOWING IS A COPY OF A FAX RELEASED BY GENERAL MILLS / HONEY NUT 
CHEERIOS ABOUT A CAMPAIGN TO SAVE THE HONEYBEE...

October 23,1996
Joe Rutledge (612)540-7549
David Dix (612)803-1045

HONEY NUT CHEERIOS LAUNCHES CAMPAIGN TO SAVE THE HONEYBEE

Invasion of Mites Has Killed Entire U.S. Wild Honeybee Population,
60% of U.S. Commercial Honeybees Destroyed

Infestation Threatens Food Prices, Environment, Textile and Floral Interests
All Americans urged to Help

        Davis,CA- Americans may soon swap their swatters for scissors in 
order to help save the U.S. honeybee from extinction. The makers of Honey 
Nut Cheerios, along with the nation's foremost entomologists and
representatives from the American Honey Producers Association, today launched
a national campaign to raise funds to accelerate study of a crisis that
threatens to eradicate America's honeybee population and devastate American
agriculture.

        According to one of the nation's leading entomologists, Dr. Eric
Mussen, Professor of Entomology at the University of California, Davis, an
invasion of parasitic mites that migrated to the United States from Latin
America over the past few years "now represents the single greatest threat
to ever confront the food chain and America's agricultural industries."
Almost all of America's wild honeybees have been eradicated by the mites
since they first arrived in the U.S.. More than 60% of America's commercial
honeybees have been killed by the tiny, spider-like creatures.

        "Everyone in America depends on the honeybee. They pollinate our
orchards, our fields and our gardens. Without their work, food prices will
rise and our environment will suffer," said Eric Lucas, marketing manager
for Honey Nut Cheerios, a low fat, whole-grain oat breakfast cereal produced
by General Mills, Inc..

        Lucas said that the Honey Nut Cheerios "Save the Honeybee" campaign
will raise funds to research threats posed by the "Varroa Mite," which sucks
blood from honeybees by attaching itself to their bodies; and the "Tracheal
Mite," which chokes honeybees to death by reproducing while lodged inside 
honeybees' throats.

        The National Honey Board estimates that one-third of the human diet
is derived directly or indirectly from insect-pollinated plants and that
the in the U.S., about 80% of all insect crop pollination is done by the
honeybee. To make one pound of honey, a hive of honeybees taps two million
blossoms, traveling more than 55,000 miles in the process. In a lifetime, a
healthy honeybee will produce about one-half teaspoon of honey.

        As part of the Honey Nut Cheerios "Save the Honeybee" campaign, 
between now and January 31, 1997, Honey Nut Cheerios will donate $.25 for 
every honeybee clipped from the front of a Honey Nut Cheerios box and mailed
to General Mills. The cartoon-like drawing of a honeybee has appeared on the
front of Honey Nut Cheerios boxes since 1979, a year after its introduction
in 1978.

        According to Lucas, General Mills stands ready to donate up to 
$100,000 for honeybee research. The funds will be evenly distributed to         
three of America's premiere honeybee research centers: the University of 
Minnesota, Michigan State University and the University of California, Davis.
Each school has established apiary research programs that have been in the 
forefront of the search for a way to destroy the deadly mites and repopulate
America's honeybee hives.

        The Honey Nut Cheerios "Save the Honeybee" campaign has been endorsed
by a broad range of organizations that are concerned with America's 
agricultural well-being, including:

The National Association of State Departments of Agriculture
The National 4-H Council
The United Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Association
The North American Strawberry Growers Association
The American Alfalfa Processors Association
The National Honey Board
The Washington Apple Commission
The American Beekeeping Federation
The Almond Board of California
The California Avocado Society
The Michigan Apple Committee
The U.S. Apple Association
The American Cranbery Growers Association
The Cranberry Institute
The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum

        Representatives from Honey Nut Cheerios reminded Americans that in
addition to generating research funds by mailing in honeybees from Honey Nut
Cheerios packages, additional contributions can be submitted and will be
earmarked for honeybee research at the three university apiary research
centers. "We hope everyone - kids, grown-ups, schoolrooms and others - will
do all they can to help save the honeybee," said Lucas.

        Individuals who want to help save the honeybee should mail honeybees
clipped from the front of Honey Nut Cheerios boxes to:

        "Help Save the Honeybee"
        P.O. Box 5450
        Minneapolis, MN 55460-5450

        Those who want to recieve a honeybee information packet or hear more 
about how to they can help are urged to call the "Help Save the Honeybee"
Hotline at 800-362-2006.

        Honey Nut Cheerios is fortified with 10 vitamins and minerals. The
sweetened, Whole-grain oat cereal is made with honey and almonds by 
Minneapolis-based General Mills, Inc., which is the nations second-largest
cereal producer. Honey Nut Cheerios is one of five types of Cheerios:
traditional Cheerios in the yellow box, Multi-Grain Cheerios, Apple Cinnamon
Cheerios, and Frosted Cheerios. Together, the five Cheerios represent the 
largest brand in the breakfast cereal category.

                                        ####

END OF THE FAX...........................................................

        While a few of the facts given in this fax are slightly misleading,
they are only of a technical nature and do not change the picture as a whole
any. I am going to present this at the next meeting of the Tidewater 
Beekeepers Association to see how many others here have seen this. This was 
the first I had heard of this program. I recieved this in some literature on
the Norfolk/ABF coming up. Other readers here could help publicize this by
presenting it to their respective sysops to get either the entire fax or a 
brief announcement of the program posted on various BBS's to solicit other 
users support as well. I intend to do that now to the sysops here as Cupid's
Playpen BBS. Has this been publicized other than by this fax anywhere else?

Thank You,
Carl Powell
[email-masked]

... Blue Wave - World Tour - 1996

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---

From: dvisrael <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 14:18:18 -0600

[email-masked] wrote:
>I read about it yesterday in the Dec issue of the ABJ. 
> Thank You,
> Carl Powell
> [email-masked]
>

---

From: [email-masked] (BusyKnight)
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 10:04:43 GMT

>HONEY NUT CHEERIOS LAUNCHES CAMPAIGN TO SAVE THE HONEYBEE

Great campaign Honey Nut Cheerios....you are to be congratulated!

Now if you would only put less SALT in them than a comparable bag
of potato chips!