Subject: Worcester County (MA) Special Meeting

From: [email-masked] (Michael Humphrys)
Date: 25 Mar 1996 16:08:30 GMT

Worcester County Beekeepers Association Special April Meeting

***This special presentation will replace the normal monthly meeting and is 
   FREE for all to attend. ****

Dr. Cynthia Scott-Dupree, of the University of Guelph in Ontario, will 
speak to Worcester County beekeepers on honeybee viruses and their
relationship to mites. Dr. Dupree will examine the impact of mites on
honeybee colonies and their effect on colony development. This is a
problem that has plagued Worcester County and all of the northeast for the
past two years. In fact, the 1994-1995 beekeeping season saw colony losses
of 45% in Worcester County. We are all searching for answers to our bee
losses and solutions to keep our bees alive. Dr. Dupree will look at these
questions in her presentation and offer answers and insight. It is
essential for us all to be informed beekeepers in order to keep our
colonies alive, says Ken Warchol, Worcester County Bee Inspector. It is
for this reason that the Worcester County Beekeepers are presenting this
speaker and topic. I would strongly urge all beekeepers to attend this
presentation. 

The second of our two presentations, entitled Beekeeping in Canada: 
Industry and Research will take a general look at the health of the
Canadian beekeeping industry. Dr. Dupree will focus on some of the
research going on in Canada that deals with mites, viruses and other
problems. She will also shed some light on what lies ahead for the
beekeeping industry. 

This will be a fantastic opportunity for beekeepers to hear one of
Canada's top honeybee experts and one of the key speakers at the Eastern
Apicultural Society's convention last summer without leaving Worcester.

Bee informed.......for the good health and survival of your bees! 

   Date:  Saturday, April 13, 1996 

   Place: UMASS Medical School (Amphitheater 2) 
          Plantation St., Worcester, MA 

Program Schedule :

 8:30 -  9:15 AM Coffee and Danish 

 9:15 - 10:30 AM Honeybee Viruses and Mites [and their interrelationship] 

10:30 - 10:45 AM Coffee Break 

10:45 - 12:00 PM Beekeeping in Canada - Industry and Research 

Reduced parking rates apply.