Subject: Help: Slugs in Hive!

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 May 1996 14:43:40 GMT

On 9 May 1996 djt said:
   >Craig Gammon ([email-masked]) wrote:
   >: transportation lids without slug problems.  Is there a danger to
   >the : hive itself?  The farmer is putting out salt in a circle
   >around the : hive, however, how can I rid myself of them
   >permanently?
   >: Craig G.
   >I have this problem too (in addition to yellow jackets, possums,
   >ornery kids, and snakes).  Philadelphia summers are hot and muggy.
   >Every year by midsummer there'll be a phalanx of bees blocking
   >large (6") slugs trying to get in (at night).  I don't know if they
   >do much damage if they get in. For the most part they seem to be
   >happy eating the dead bees and other matter near the entrances.
   >Try elevating the hives a foot or two.  The bees don't seem to be
   >able to sting the slugs but can usually impede them. Elevation
   >should reduce the likelihood of the slugs smelling them out. It's
   >helped here, anyway.
   >Dave

Here we have our hives on a kind of table and put fur around its feet. This
prevents the slugs and the ants to climb up those feet. I suppose one could
also use velcro for the same purpose.
`[1;31;43mNet-Tamer V 1.03 - Test Drive