Subject: 8 recipes from honey & beeswax

From: [email-masked] (EWhiteVHP)
Date: 30 Aug 1996 18:44:53 -0400

Honey & beeswax recipes for products

Excerpts from the book:
"Super Formulas, Arts & Crafts: How to make 360 useful products that
contain
honey & beeswax" 120-page book by Elaine C. White Copyright 1993 ISBN
0-9637539-7-5
Available from bookstores, libraries and directly from the publisher.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Petroleum Jelly

Petroleum jelly is easy to make and it is an ingredient of many other
products. Naturalists may substitute a natural oil, such as grapeseed oil
or
sweet almond oil, for the baby or mineral oil to create an "un-petroleum"
jelly.

1 ounce (weight) beeswax
1/2 cup baby or mineral oil

Melt the beeswax in a microwave or a double boiler. Stir in the mineral
oil.
Remove the mixture from the heat and stir until cool.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Skin Cream

2 1/2 ounces (weight) beeswax
4 ounces (weight) lanolin
2/3 cup baby or mineral oil
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon borax (sodium borate, CP)
Fragrant essential oil (optional)

Melt the oil, lanolin and beeswax to 160 degrees F. Heat the borax and
water
in a separate container to 160 degrees F. Be sure the beeswax is melted
and
the borax is dissolved. Add the water mixture to the oil mixture while
stirring. When a white cream forms, stir slowly until the mixture cools to
100 degrees F. Pour the cream into small, wide-mouth jars.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Beeswax Polish

Beeswax furniture polish with its soft, satin shine is considered the
ultimate in wood care.

4 ounces (weight) beeswax
2 tablespoons carnauba wax
2 1/2 cups odorless turpentine

Melt the waxes on high in a microwave or in a double boiler. Remove the
waxes
>from  the heat and stir in the turpentine. Apply the polish with a clean
cloth
and rub in small circles. Turn the cloth as it becomes dirty. Allow the
polish to dry, then buff with a clean cloth. If more than one coat is
desired, wait 2 days between applications.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Lip Gloss

Lipstick colors this easy formula for lip gloss. This is a good way to use
lipstick that is too dark because the gloss will be a lighter color.

1 teaspoon grated beeswax
1/2 teaspoon lipstick
1/2 teaspoon petroleum jelly

Melt the ingredients in a small can placed in boiling water. Stir it well
and
pour it into a small jar.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Dispersing Bath Oil

Most bath oils simply float on water. Dispersing bath oil mixes evenly
with
water, clings to skin and forms a thin, even coating.

1 whole egg
1/2 cup baby or mineral oil
2 teaspoons liquid detergent
1/4 cup vodka
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup whole milk
Fragrant essential oil (optional)
Liquid food coloring (optional)

Mix all ingredients in a blender for 30 seconds. Use only 1 or 2
tablespoons
of the oil in a bathtub of water. Shelf-life at room temperature is about
18
months!
---------------------------------------------------------------
Chapped-lip Balm

Simple petroleum jelly is good for chapped lips, but this formula is even
better.

1 tablespoon grated beeswax (1/2 oz.)
1 tablespoon petroleum jelly
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon lanolin
3 to 4 drops essential oil

Melt the wax, lanolin and petroleum jelly in a microwave. Add the honey
and
essential oil. Essential oil of peppermint, eucalyptus, wintergreen and
camphor slightly numb painful lips. Stir the mixture until it cools.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Skin Care Bar

This unique product is a bit greasy for hands, but I like it to apply
emollients to feet, elbows, etc. Easy to make and smells
wonderful--naturally.

Simply melt equal WEIGHTS of sweet almond oil and beeswax. Pour this into
a
bar-shaped mold and allow it to cool. Rub the bar over skin to apply the
emollient properties of the ingredients.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Suppliers:

Brushy Mountain Bee Farm
Route 1, Box 135
Moravian Falls, NC 28654
1-800-BEESWAX
Sells beeswax, carnauba wax, 
and containers for creams & polishes.

Haussmann's Pharmacy
534-536 W. Girard Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19123
(215) 627-2143
Sells herbs, oils, lanolin & borax.

Lavender Lane
6715 Donerail
Sacramento, CA 95842
(916) 334-4400
Sells oils & waxes for cosmetics.

Sunburst Bottle Company
7001 Sunburst Way
Citrus Heights, CA 95621
(916) 722-4632
Sells jars, bottles & containers 
for practically everything!

Sax Arts & Crafts
Post Office Box 51710
New Berlin, WI 53151-0710
1-800-558-6696
Sells "everything your art desires,"
waxes & odorless turpentine.
---------------------------------------------------------------
WANT  MORE?

Valley Hills Press has lots more!

1) "Super Formulas, Arts & Crafts: How to make more than 360 useful
products
that contain honey & beeswax" 120-page book by Elaine C. White. ISBN
0-9637539-7-5
$14.95 US funds, postpaid to US & Canada
Other countries, $18.95 US funds, postpaid

2) New!    First Timer Wine-Making Kit
Make 1 gallon of award-winning mead! (Honey Concord Wine). Ready in 1
month!
You buy honey and grape juice from a grocer--this kit contains everything
else you need!
$18.95 US funds, postpaid to US & Canada. Not shipped to other countries.

3) "Soap Recipes: Seventy tried-and-true ways to make modern soap with
herbs,
beeswax and vegetable oils" 224-page book. Easy recipes to make great soap
right in your kitchen with common kitchen equipment. $29.95 postpaid to US
and other countries.

Have your Visa or Master Card handy and order toll-free! 1-800-323-7102
(US &
Canada)
Other countries call 601-323-7100.
or
Mail payment (US funds only. Visa/Master Card accepted) to:
Valley Hills Press
108 E Garrard Rd #202-A
Starkville, MS 39759 USA
Fax orders to (601) 323-7100

Want more details about these and other fun products like soapmaking? 
Send email with your
snail mail name and address to: [email-masked]. 
Retail/wholesale prices available.
Request a free brochure!
end

Elaine C. White
C/O Valley Hills Press
1864 Ridgeland Drive
Starkville MS 39759 USA
Telephone: 601-323-7100