Subject: Purple Martin co-habitating with Bees

From: [email-masked]
Date: 14 Mar 1996 03:08:16 GMT

My brand spanking new hive sits on the floor next to me, all one hive 
body, 10 frames and foundation just waiting to be mounted.  Bees are 
coming in the next month.  I've read my book and I'm ready to try my 
hand.  Yayy!

Question:  I am putting my bees on one end of six acres of pasture.  Will 
be building my house on the other end one of these days.  In the middle 
is my (so far) one Purple Martin House . . . do bees and martins get 
along?

John Taylor
Southeast Missouri

---

From: [email-masked] (BusyKnight)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 00:13:35 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
> Purple Martin House . . . do bees and martins get along?
  John,
      I have a Purple Martin house that the Martins have been
coming to for  years which is located about 50 yards away
>from  several hives.  I've seen no conflict between the two.
The only observed conflict between bees & birds occurs
at the bird bath over 'watering rights' between a permanent
resident Mockingbird and the bees.  And the bees so far
(after five years) haven't succeeded in chasing off the Mock-
ingbird either!

     I am looking for a truly "bee proof" Hummingbird feeder;
anybody got any ideas?

BusyKnight
Dallas, TX

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Amschel)
Date: 14 Mar 1996 05:40:22 GMT

>is my (so far) one Purple Martin House . . . do bees and martins get 
Sounds like you are ready to keep bees! I have two Mollucan Cockatoos in a 
cage outside and they co-existed with no problem with a really active colony 
about 30 feet away. The loud cockatoo screams at dusk and dawn do not bother 
the bees either. You know what they say about the birds and the bees - except 
that I have heard that there is one kind of bird which eats bees.

---

From: Gisborne_Design <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 19:17:47 -0800

>      I am looking for a truly "bee proof" Hummingbird feeder;

Put a wire mesh guard over the feeder nozzles, about 3/16" mesh is about
right. The mesh set out from the nozzle about 1/4" keeps the bees from
being able to reach the nectar, but hummingbirds can still reach.