Subject: Re: Removing Propolis

From: A. J. deLange <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Sep 1996 15:18:41 GMT

Reposting article removed by rogue canceller.

In article <[email-masked]> DVERVILLE,
[email-masked] writes:
>Using another "terry" cloth I put some methanol on it and gently
>   rubbed it on the areas stained with propolis.

While I have never tried to clean propolis I have noted that it is
"soluble" in ethanol and propanol, both of which are more readily
available than methanol. Propolis actually contains an alcohol
soluble and alcohol insoluble fraction. When the soluble part is
dissolved, the isoluble part is freed as a suspension and can be
wiped away. As most of you know propolis bcomes very brittle when
cold so that it can be easily chipped away from most surfaces.

AJ
[email-masked]

---

From: FREAK'N'U <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 14:31:54 -0400

I am a student at Lock Haven University in Pennsylvania.  I am currently
enrolled in the Professional Semester of Elementary Education, and as part
of this semester, we are asked to do a learning center ona particular
science topic.  I have chosen bees and beekeeping as my topic and so, I am
writing to all the subscribers for suggestions on where to find
information about bees, the major points that elementary students should
know about bees and beekeeping, and how to find actual pieces of honey
comb and other bee products such as royal jelly and pollen.  I would also
like to know where I could get some full-color photos of bees and hives.
Any information would be incredibly helpful!!!!!!!

                                    Thank You, 
                                         Jenn Greaser