Subject: Re: Prevention of Waxmoth

From: "Sharon J. Collman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 06:23:10 GMT

On Mon, 3 Jul 1995, Mark Jensen wrote:

> In article <[email-masked]>, Richard Yates
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > There may be some substance
> > to store with the frames not not not mothballs - can't remember name, anyone?
> 
> Paradichlorobenzene, wax moth crystals. Mann Lake had permission to sell
> it for wax moth control, but something was not right with the label and
> the EPA is not allowing them to sell it at the present time. Mann Lake is
> trying to get approval, but there is no way to know if and when they will
> be successful. However, there is another source for para, janitorial
> suppliers sell para as hockey puck shaped blocks for use in urinals. Make
> sure they are 100% paradichlorobenzene, as other moth ball chemicals are
> really bad news.
> 
> Mark Jensen              Double J Apiaries        [email-masked]
> 
> 

According to discussions on entomo-l, paradichlorobenzene  (note the 
benzene) is nasty stuff and is being discontinued from use by museum 
workers.  Does this have a registration for wax moth?  Might their be a 
problem of contamination of honey?  If it kills waxmoth, and dermestids 
in museums, what does it do to bees?  I'm not familiar with this product 
for this us and am not a beekeeper, so I ask more to suggest caution and  
doublechecking before use.

----
Chirps!

Sharon J. Collman                     OR      Sharon J. Collman
c/o Center For Urban Horticulture             
Box 354115                                    13720 23rd Ave. NE
University of Washington                      Seattle, WA. 98125-3322
Seattle, WA  98195-4115
           
Phone:  206-543-8616                          206-364-6966 
Fax:    206-685-2692
EMail:  [email-masked]

NOTE NEW ADDRESS: box and zip ext      OR     New address and phone

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Hough)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 10:21:48 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
"Sharon J. Collman" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> the EPA is not allowing them to sell it at the present time. [clip] Make
[concerns about use of PDB expressed by Sharon]
>University of Washington                      Seattle, WA. 98125-3322

I got my PDB from the hardware store - ask for mothballs, and READ THE LABEL.
The more common variety (in the USA) is, I believe, made with Napthalene
(bad stuff because it contaminates the wax). I was able to find 100% PDB
mothballs fairly easily, but had to reject several brands due to their
makeup.

Sharon - a clarification - the PDB is used during STORAGE of honey supers.
The bees themselves can control wax moths when the supers are on the colony.
Several days of airing out the supers is required before placing them back
on the colonies, as the PDB _is_ detrimental to the bees. My understanding
was that PDB is used because it does _not_ accumulate in the wax.
Unfortunately, I don't have any references handy to back up my
"knowledge".

I have also been led to believe that use of PDB during storage is _NOT_
regulated in the USA because the chemical is not used "in" the hive -
Apistan, Fumidal-B, etc. all go directly into the colony, and therefor
must be labeled appropriately to be used legally in the colony. I have
always exercised caution using PDB, allowing ample time to air out the
supers, due to contamination concerns, but I always considered the risk
to be PDB present on the surface of the wax (and therefor easy to get
into the honey), and not from PDB that had been absorbed by the wax
(which could, in turn, be absorbed by the honey, I suppose). It is my
belief that all PDB on the surface of the wax vaporizes and disperses
during the "airing out" process.

Well, that's my nickle's worth. What I have expressed is opinion and
recollection only, so please treat it with a healthy skepticism. Maybe
others can offer references to back up my beliefs - I will try to do some
quick research over the weekend - I'll post anything useful I find.

Time to get back to work before my boss finds me chatting about beekeeping
again!

Cheers,
Rick
currently managing 20 colonies in Northeastern Massachussetts

****************************************************
* Rick Hough             * email: [email-masked] *
* TASC                   * Phone: (617) 942-2000   *
* 55 Walkers Brook Drive * FAX:   (617) 942-7100   *
* Reading, MA 01867      *                         *
****************************************************
SET DISCLAIMER ON
The above is my opinion. Similarity to anyone else's
opinion is pure coincidence.