Subject: heavy winter losses

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 03:16:00 GMT

Posted over from the B-List.
                    ----------------------------------------
From: Kirk Jones <[email-masked]>
Date:         Tue, 26 Mar 1996 20:07:11 -0500
Subject:      heavy winter losses

Here in Michigan, in the Great Lakes area of the US, our bees are getting
their butts spanked,i.e. heavy winterkill. We're scratching our heads, as
we tried every technique to our knowledge.

We used menthol in the late spring and early summer, up to the flow(too
cold in the fall up here). We put on Crisco patties. We used Apistan
strips. We are trying darker leather colored Italians(mite resistant?). We
even wrapped them.

Our losses may be 30% or higher. Most reports in Michigan are 50% to 90%
loss. The package bee producers are totally booked for the most part. We
will be replacing over a 1000 hives.

I've read reports on virus infection. How about a post from some of you
reseachers, etc. on this matter.

The blown out hives still have some honey. The cluster is blown apart, with
bees spread all over the hive. Many bees on the ground outside. I have a
feeling it is a mite related problem, but cannot pinpoint exactly what.

I am willing to send samples to anyone with the time and interest to
examine some bees.

Kirk

Sleeping Bear Apiaries
Kirk Jones
[email-masked]

when you get lemons, make lemonade....