Subject: Re: How many bees are really in a colony ?

From: A. J. deLange <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 May 1996 11:42:52 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Graham & Annie Law,
[email-masked] writes:
>'...after 510 colonies had been measured,

The boy-scientist within me can't help wondering how this is done.
Anybody know? Count the legs and divide by 6?

AJ
[email-masked]

---

From: Graham & Annie Law <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 16:45:45 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, A.J.deLange@? writes
>Anybody know? Count the legs and divide by 6?

Fool ! 
        you count the antenna and devide by 2, who wants to count all
these legs ! :->

        Paraphrased quote from the same article...

"The combs with bees are taken out of he hive one by one and compard
with photographic reproductions, and this makes it a relativly easy job
to estimate fairly closely the number of bees on each side of every
comb.  In summer an alternative method is used, weigh the comb, shake
off the bees then re weigh the comb."

(to Adam F.. I don't think I'll bother, just wanted to start the
discussion.)

Graham

[email-masked]

Winning the rat race still makes you a rat.

---

From: [email-masked] (Craig Gammon)
Date: 10 May 1996 22:46:04 GMT

I simply estimate 2,000 bees per fully covered frame.  Last 
year, I had a couple hives that got up towards 50,000, however, average 
for me is 35,000.

Craig G.

---

From: Shmulik Lieberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 15:44:01 GMT

> year, I had a couple hives that got up towards 50,000, however, average

I quit counting after 1255
-- 
			            <\-----/>	
                                    ( .   . )
=================================oooO===U===Oooo==================
| Shmulik Lieberman   |   					 |
| 623 En-Zahav st.    | A dozen, a gross, and a score,		 |
| 10200 Kiryat Shmona | Plus three times the squre root of four, |
| ISRAEL              | Dvided by seven,			 | 
|---------------------| Plus five times eleven,     		 |
| +972-(0)6-996141    | Equals nine squared plus zero, no more.  | 
===================================oooO===Oooo====================