Subject: Ouch!

From: [email-masked] (DizzyBeezz)
Date: 15 Mar 1996 21:32:08 -0500

I'm looking for suggestions.  I was stung yesterday on my ankle.  Today
the
bee sting started swelling.  I believe my shoe top was aggrivating it.  My
ankle is quite swollen by now.  What can I do to reduce the swelling when
the
bee stung me over 24 hours ago?

Also, I am looking for suggestions on the best beekeepers suit available
for
working bees in a hot climate.

[email-masked]

---

From: Jon Camp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 00:24:37 GMT

You might try soaking it in a Domeboro solution, (available at 
your pharmacy)but you might faint when you see the price.  Ask 
your doctor if a benedryl elixir might be of benefit to you. It 
is an over the counter antihistamine in a liquid.  Will make you 
very sleepy, so be careful about driving and using it.  My wife 
takes it just before we move bees.  Inevitably she is the one to 
get stung, and she reacts the most.  It does help reduce the 
swelling and itching after the fact.  I use Dadant's ready made
cotton/poly zipper veil suit.  It may not be the coolest (nothing 
is when you're moving bees) but it is realitvely inexpensive 
($50-60) and resists tearing on the first thing it catches on.  
When you order a suit, order at least one size larger than your 
normal size.  A skin tight suit isn't comfortable in any climate. 
If you are showing a strong reaction to stings, be careful. It 
doesn't take much to push one into shock.  I'd think seriously 
about calling your doctor for advice.

                       Jon Camp

---

From: Jon Camp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 00:24:37 GMT

Jon Camp