Subject: USDA Software

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 05:00:00 GMT

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 21:07:12 -0800
Subject: index.html

/USDA Software Archive

     _________________________________________________________________

                                  IT'S HERE!

     * Learn how to manage honey bee colonies cost-effectively while
       maximizing profits!

     _________________________________________________________________

(IMAGE) Redapol

   Developed by Gloria DeGrandi-Hoffman et al.
          A computer-based model simulating the interactions of weather,
          bloom, and honey bee foraging activity that culminate in
          'Delicious' apple fruit-set. The model predicts the percentage
          of blossoms setting fruit based upon weather conditions,
          orchard de sign, tree characteristics, and honey bee colonies
          per hectare. Now available in a complete archive (.ZIP file).

     * Download PC-Redapol (REDAPOL.ZIP)

     _________________________________________________________________

   GEARS is maintained by USDA/ARS. This server reports the results of
   research only. Mention of a proprietary product does not constitute an
   endorsement or recommendation for its use by USDA.
---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ þ Invalid user. Hit user to continue.

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 02:08:00 GMT

JC>From: Jon Camp <[email-masked]>
  >Subject: Re: USDA Software

  >>     * Download PC-Redapol (REDAPOL.ZIP)

  When I got this software I found out you need BENHEX 4.0 to
decode it. I have not found that yet, but if I do I will let you
know.

JC>Way cool Andy, but where might that "Download" be located?
  >I just spent 45 min. looking through the USDA web pages, and the
  >few search engines I managed to find came up blank on
  >Redapol.zip.  How about a URL to go with this wonderful piece of
  >earth-shaking software?

Hello Jon,

  The OLd Drone is sorry for your trouble, the software is at the GEARS
site at the University of Arizona if that helps. I guess I will pass on
my first experience's at net surfing, OLd Drone style. First I have no
windows in my main computer as it is dedicated to the Wild Bee's BBS
(209) 826-8107, and the bbs is a DOS program and to support the
two dial up nodes the cpu is in a 486-66 box with 20 megs of memory and
a gig and half of hard drives plus cd rom drives and a Mega back up
system. The cpu does connect to the internet by phone for about one
hour a day passing e-mail and use net mail via a uucp connection and
connects to another net mail server for the Wild Net bbs echo mail
all using 28.8 bd modems.

  So my hardware and software has disadvantaged me as to surfing the net
with the middle class. I read about it, and see it on the boob tube,
but have not had the experience until the good folks of this small
farm town, Los Banos, Ca, decided they wanted to get on the net. Wow,
250 signed a petition to get it, (in 5 years only 40 of them had ever
called this bbs)<G> Well a few of us formed a computer club and made
an effort. No provider would put a line in for our small group and it
looked bleak, as we know from a lifetime of doing business here if it
cost money forget it. Well to shorten the story and get to more
interesting things, MCI came in and offered a program to all the people
of California. 12$ a month, free weekends, free late niter, software
supplied, (Windows & Mac NetScape), and 95 cents after 60 hrs of prime
time, what a deal,...oh I forgot its a free 800 # to call to make the
connection. MSI is looking to capture the market and all should check
to see if this deal is available in your own state, check with you
local school's as the original MCI program was aimed at providing
internet access to rural schools that could not afford the high cost
of a T1 service.

  So this OLd Drone is surfing the net using a old TL2 from the Shack,
heck its been doing my bookkeeping for years since upgrading from
the Trash 80 so it should be good enough for the internet highway.

Anyway I don't get the fancy pictures and use tools like YAHOO, Gopher,
www, and many other search engines to get around. And I have been
getting around, not in the efficient way other's may do, but I am having
a ball and learning how the internet works from both a old beekeepers
and systems administrator of a bbs advantage. I have also used the
NETSCAPE on other's computer as you can imagine all the local people
need help in getting it going so I had to do it myself so I could help
others. But even then I could not help the guy who did not understand
you needed a computer and modem to surf the net.<G>

  Anyway, I use Yahoo to find the BEEKEEPING HOME PAGE and from there
moved out to other sites. The beekeepers home page is my pivot point
to surfing and I have not had a problem finding much beekeeping
information and interesting sites to visit from there. I was delighted
to find that Wild Bee's BBS Beekeeping FAQ system shares several home
page's and that explains some of the 250 requests that come in each
month for FAQ's from all over the internet highway.

  I know that most of you more then likely are doing net surfing from
Window's programs like NetScape and that's the way to go. I will from
time to time mention or pass on what I have found doing it from a less
voyeuristic advantage with a minimal hardware set up, QMODEM in vt 100 mode
and a well used old 14.4 bd modem, for those who also may find a
affordable internet host like the MCI Telis system and are not sure if
they want to get on the internet highway and don't do no windows as
"no real bee man does windows". Just kidding girls, "no real bee person
does windows".

HINT #1, find the "Beekeeping Home Page" and move out from there.

                               ttul Andy-

(c) Permission is granted to freely copy this document
in electronic form, or to print for personal use.

(w)Opinions are not necessarily facts. Use at own risk.

---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ ... To sway its silent chimes, else must the bee,

---

From: Jon Camp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 21:05:09 GMT

>Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 21:07:12 -0800

Way cool Andy, but where might that "Download" be located?
I just spent 45 min. looking through the USDA web pages, and the
few search engines I managed to find came up blank on 
Redapol.zip.  How about a URL to go with this wonderful piece of 
earth-shaking software?

                        Jon C.

"I've got the time; just not the money"

---

From: "Patrick M. O'Hearn" <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Jan 1996 17:20:06 GMT

The site you are looking for is GEARS (USDA beelab in Tucson).  
The web address is http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov.
The REDAPOL program is in dos but the Beekeeping Economics 
program was written for the Mac. The person I talked with at 
gears says they are rewriting it for the IBM platform. 

take care
Patrick M. O'Hearn
Bears Choice Honey
Aztec, NM
email [email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick M. O'Hearn" <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Jan 1996 17:20:24 GMT

take care
Patrick M. O'Hearn
Bears Choice Honey
Aztec, NM