Subject: Defensive Hive

From: "Pastor David Rees" <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Aug 1996 05:54:45 GMT

I have to requeen a very aggressive hive and DPI have cautioned that they
could kill the new queen when introduced.  Someone suggested I sprinkle
talcum powder over the top of the brood chamber and bees when or prior to
introducing the new queen.  The theory is that by the time they have
cleaned themselves up from the scent of the powder they will have accepted
the new queen.
I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, help before I try this.
Thanks David

---

From: Dave Black <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 08:50:47 +0100

In article <01bb9637$894fd9e0$1e7f16cb@david>, Pastor David Rees
<[email-masked]> writes
>introducing the new queen.
Well, it might work. Putting her alone in a hair roller cage with a
candy plug (a delay cage) does work. Are you experimenting or beekeeping
?

Remember, the secret as I understand it is to exchange like for like.
Assuming the introduced queen's not a virgin, she may still need some
time and feeding to return to laying condition, which is the type of
queen you're taking out. Put on some feed and cage her are the most
basic precautions.

I know there are some experts in the field out there, I wonder if they
agree ?

-- 
Dave Black
Blacks Bee Gardens, 
Guildford, GU1 4RN.  UK.

---

From: Richard Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Sep 1996 12:52:47 GMT

Where/how are you getting the new queen? By post, as a single insect from
a close source, in a swarm, or what?

Richard.
~~~~~~~~
-- 
The Open University is not responsible for content herein, which may
be incorrect and is used at readers own risk.