Subject: Pollen Substitutes

From: [email-masked] (Peter Murphy)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 96 14:18:02 GMT

Here in Oz we are going more to feeding substitutes for pollen to 
try and save 
on the high cost of transporting our bees around the countryside 
to keep them 
alive.  Has anyone in the US and Canada  favourite recipes they 
are willing to 
share?

Cheers 
Peter Murphy 
[email-masked]

Cheers

Peter Murphy

Tamworth New South Wales, Country Music Capital of Australia

---

From: Gisborne_Design <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 17:22:32 -0800

> Tamworth New South Wales, Country Music Capital of Australia

An extender I have used with success is this:
         Mix a heavy syrup - 3 parts sugar to one part water (by weight)
         Mix 2 parts of this syrup with 4 to 5 parts of dry material
         Add dry material to syrup mixing and kneeding well. Leave
           overnight, knead again before placing patties on waxed paper
         For the dry material use brewers yeast mixed with pollen 2:1
           (eg. 1 lb. brewers yeast to 8 oz. pollen) 
Place a patty covered with waxed paper under the top cover (inverted
to give more space) and the bees will help themselves.
Soybean flour is toxic to bees and should not be used, powdered milk
also causes problems.

---

From: [email-masked] (Kirk & Sharon Jones)
Date: 24 Mar 1996 12:56:51 GMT

> > alive.  Has anyone in the US and Canada  favourite recipes they

Hello Peter, 

Here in the Great Lakes region of the US we use pollen sub to stimulate
brood rearing with snow still on the ground in March. 

Our recipe is as follows:

One part expeller process soy flour ( option: 2 parts soy to 1 part yeast)
One part brewers yeast
1/8 part(give or take)Natural pollen trapped and cleaned (as much as you
can afford)

Mix the dry stuff first (we use a commercial bread mixer)
start adding high fructose corn syrup(80 brix) or a heavy sugar while
mixing, until the mix will fall off a spoon. 

Let it set overnight and check the consistancy in the morning. It should
be like cookie dough.

Stick your hive tool in the bucket and put a slab on top of the top bars. 

Use more or less according to cluster size.

Yours truly,
Kirk