Subject: Re: Help: Slugs in Hive!

From: [email-masked] (David J Trickett)
Date: 9 May 1996 07:21:51 GMT

Craig Gammon ([email-masked]) wrote:
: 	Anyone know why one of my hives has a slug problem inside the 
: brood box?  The hive is situated amongst blueberry bushes with four 
: other hives.  The other four colonies are fine, but not this one!  
: Could this hive a moisture problem?  Right now, its got a transport top 
: for a lid; however, other hives of mine currently are sporting 
: transportation lids without slug problems.  Is there a danger to the 
: hive itself?  The farmer is putting out salt in a circle around the 
: hive, however, how can I rid myself of them permanently?

: Craig G.

I have this problem too (in addition to yellow jackets, possums, ornery
kids, and snakes).  Philadelphia summers are hot and muggy.  Every year by
midsummer there'll be a phalanx of bees blocking large (6") slugs trying
to get in (at night).  I don't know if they do much damage if they get in. 
For the most part they seem to be happy eating the dead bees and other
matter near the entrances.  Try elevating the hives a foot or two.  The
bees don't seem to be able to sting the slugs but can usually impede them. 
Elevation should reduce the likelihood of the slugs smelling them out. 
It's helped here, anyway. 

Dave

---

From: Steve Bambara <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 May 1996 13:29:04 GMT

>Craig Gammon ([email-masked]) wrote:
  Is there a danger to the 
 
>It's helped here, anyway. 

Elevating may help a little.  The salt will only help until the next rain unless you set the feet of the hive stand in saucers of salt.
Reducing the slug population would help. Reducing the decaying
organic matter on the ground around your hives would help,
but doesn't sound very
practical where you are.  You might try diatomaceous earth around the 
hive stands.  It is abrasive and the slugs don't like to crawl over it.
You can also try the usual slug bait tricks.  You could also lay out a
small piece of tar paper or asphalt shingle on the ground next to the hive.
	Then check under it every day and squish the slugs under it.

***************************************************************
Steve Bambara  Dept. of Entomology, Box 7626, Raleigh, NC 27695
[email-masked]    (919) 515-1661    fax (919) 515-7273