Subject: Moving a hive

From: Nate Saal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 23:00:14 -0800

Need some advice...

I started up a hive last summer and would like to move it to a more 
convenient location.  The problem is that the new location is only 
about 1/4 away and maybe 50 ft change in elevation.  It's physically 
impossible to move the hive a few feet at a time, and extremely 
difficult to move the hive away for several weeks and then return it 
to the new location.  I remember reading a post about moving a hive a 
short distance and then placing grass at the front enterance which 
supposedly informed the bees that something has happened and they 
re-orient.  Anybody try this?  Are there any other methods for moving 
bees short distances?

Your experiences would be appreciated,

nate
Palo Alto, CA

---

From: "Victor C. Rimkus" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Feb 1996 15:21:07 GMT

Nate,

I have moved hives short distances (25 feet) and found the work force 
bees finding thier way to the new location without any difficulty (less 
than 30 minutes). Once you move the hive watch the entrance. You should 
see a bunch of bees fanning like crazy to spread the hive odor. I've 
always made my moves in the afternoon. By evening I have not seen a 
single lost bee at the old location. I do not reduce or block the 
entrance. This also applies to combining hives.

If the odor wasn't enough, how would a swarm stay together?

Best of luck to you and your bees,

Victor
Albuquerque, NM

---

From: Hartmut Muench <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Mar 1996 22:02:23 GMT

[email-masked] (Joel Govostes) wrote:
>There's another method you can try if possible:
>
>Move the hive to a new location (at night when all foragers are home). 
>Make sure the location is say 3 or more miles away.  Then another night
>after a week or so move the colony to the preferred location.  They will
>re-orient and not return to the original site.  It should be pretty easy
>to find a spot to put them temporarily -- try a relative or friend's
>place.  This method is easy and reliable.

I' sorry to tell You that it is not that simple to move hives to new 
locations within a circle of 4km.
Elder bees will recognize the former known environment and will return to 
their wellknown place of hive, where they have learned to find back in the 
old days.
So You have to wait with bringing back the old hive until the last 
foraging bees have died. This can take You as much time as long as 3 
months!
I've had my experiences with this problem for a couple of times.

---

From: [email-masked] (Joel Govostes)
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 07:41:20 -0500

Sorry this hasn't worked for you -- I understand your point, but still,
I've had luck with this method several times.  I have seen some bees
return to the old (temporary) site, but interestingly enough, they were
all DRONES, which indicates that they either fly further or have a better
mark on their old location.  Incidentally, in my case the bees were moved
to the other side of a lake (1 km wide) so if they were using the lake as
a landmark I would expect many bees to return.  Haven't had it happen,
tho'.  Thanks for your additional input

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Nichols)
Date: 13 Mar 1996 03:03:38 GMT

Hi, I Jessica and I live in Texas. I am doing a report on beekeeping 
and I need to interview some beekeepers. If you would please take the
time to answer these questions you would be a great help. Thanks alot!

Q. About how many bees live in a hive?

Q. What season do they produce the most honey?

Q. About how many cells are in a honey comb?

Q. How many honey bees are born in a year?

Q. How do you keep bees warm in winter?

Q. About how many drones are in a hive?

Q. About how many pounds of honey is produced by a hive in a year?

Q. How long does it take for the eggs to turn into a young bee?

Q. Do the bees find food or do you feed them? If so what?

Q. What do you do when a colony becomes overcrowed?

Q. What other products do you get from the hives? Where do you sell the 
   stuff?

Thanks again for your help.
Jessica