Subject: Feeding the Bees: Help?

From: Alan Boyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 May 1996 10:29:49 -0700

We have just received our bees and placed them in the hive - but now 
we're wondering about feeding. We have a Boardman feeder with a 
quart of sugar water, but is that really enough to sustain the bees 
in the early going? One of the books we've consulted indicates that 
it isn't. Is it enough of an emergency that we should try to run out 
and get a division board feeder or other such feeder?
     Also, we've been told that you can take some sugar candy and 
place it in the hive - if anyone can pass along a recipe for doing 
so, it would be appreciated.
     Maybe this is just a case of nervous parents worrying 
needlessly.... But anyway, I thought it would be good to put out a 
query.

Thanks and regards,
Alan Boyle ([email-masked])
Bellevue, Wash. 206-957-0219

---

From: [email-masked] (BCDICKENS)
Date: 4 May 1996 22:50:41 -0400

>needlessly.... But anyway, I thought it would be good to put out a 

You shouldn't have a problem with the feeder.  I prefer using the gallon
size but you'll just have to fill your feeders more often.  You may want
to place your boardman feeder on the inner cover and then cover it with an
empty brood chamber and then put the lid on that to avoid other bees from
robbing your feeder.  Sugar water is very appealing to all types of bees
and when the feeder is wedged in the entrance it's very easy to rob. 

Boyd C Dickens