Subject: beekeeping and the human back

From: Hugh J Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 14:53:24 GMT

-- 
At the moment I have some information in Spanish on bending and lifting 
parts of hives (Spanish - alzas).  They are like boxes, with slots in 
the side for holding.  When full, they can strain the lifter's back.  
Can anyone tell me what they are called?  It's not the frame.  Could 
they be the supers?

Grateful for any help.

-----------------------------------------------
Hugh J Morgan
Translation Services (UK)
Email: [email-masked]
Tel/Fax: 01242 226389
-----------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 13 May 1996 10:52:38 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, Hugh J Morgan

>Can anyone tell me what they are called?  It's not the frame.  Could 

    Probably so.  A full, deep Lanstroth super can weigh about a hundred
pounds.  The sizes do vary around the world, but honey is heavy anywhere.

   The boxes used for hives are named according to their use.  If they are
used for brood rearing they are called brood chambers.  If they are placed
above the brood chamber (usually with a screen or wire "queen excluder" to
keep the larger queen below) then they are called supers.

[email-masked]    Dave and Janice Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554

Practical Pollination Home Page
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html  

[email-masked]                                   Dave Green
Practical Pollination Home Page    
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html  
PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554