Subject: Possible Change in Bee-Protection Labels?

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 11 Sep 1996 00:03:18 -0400

This announcement was posted on the mosquito list.  I have not yet
verified the accuracy of the information, but felt is was important enough
to pass on immediately FWIW.  If true, it would be of great benefit to the
bees.  Current labels are not universally obeyed; and some states even
have official programs to circumvent compliance with bee protection
labels.  These would make the bee protection much more specific and
possibly harder to circumvent.

[email-masked]     Dave Green  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway, SC  29554

Copy of the announcement:

Subj:	Proposed Label Changes
Date:	96-09-10 20:55:38 EDT
From:	[email-masked] (Don Menard)
Sender:	[email-masked]
Reply-to:	[email-masked]

===============================================
Lucas Terracina of Calcasieu Parish Mosquito Control posted the
following on Byteline that will have a detrimental affect on most mosquito
control operations if enacted.  Before these proposals go into effect,
make your feelings known to your legislators and to Jim Bach whose
address is included below.
Thanks,

Don Menard
[email-masked]
===============================================
PROPOSED CHANGE FOR BEE STATEMENTS - ON LABELS

The EPA is proposing changes in the environmental hazard statements on
pesticide labels for the protection of bees and other beneficial insects.

EPA is proposing that all labels be changed if a pesticide is toxic to
insects that are beneficial to crops, as shown in research data, or if the
product is intended for application from bud through bloom or foliar
application to agricultural crops, forests, shade trees or ornamentals, or
for mosquito abatement.  Any pesticide that meets any of the above
criteria
will have a precautionary statement on the label.

To MINIMIZE BEE KILLS, pesticide products that are toxic to bees will be
required to include one of two statements on the label to protect bees. 
The
statement used will depend on whether the pesticide has displayed an
extended residual toxicity.  The two samples shown are proposed label
statements.  Some changes are likely before final statements are adopted.

These label statements may be added to pesticide labels within one or two
years. Comments on this proposal, prior to the proposal being published in
the Federal Register for public comment, may be addressed to:

Jim Bach
Washington Dept. Of Agriculture
Box 42560, Olympia, WA 98504-2560
phone # 306-902-1922 or Fax 306-902-2094

_______________________________________________________________
PROSPSED STATEMENT #1

PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENT IF EXTENDED RESIDUAL TOXICITY IS DISPLAYED
(i.e.) Carbofuran, Malathion ULV)
This product is toxic to bees exposed to application or residues.  Unless
this product is used in accordance with a state program for the protection
of
bees or as otherwise stated on this label, DO NOT allow this product to
come
in contact either directly or through drift to blooming crops or blooming
weeds.
________________________________________________________________

PROPOSED STATEMENT #2

PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENT IF EXTENDED RESIDUAL TOXICITY IS NOT DISPLAYED
(i.e.) Carbaryl, Endosulfan)
This product is toxic to bees. Unless this product is used in accordance
with a state program for the protection of bees or as otherwise stated on
this label.  DO NOT allow this product to come in contact either directly
or
through drift to blooming crops or blooming weeds between 2 hours before
sunrise and 2 hours after sunset.

We received the information from Doug Johnson, Administrator, Cascade
County
Weed and Mosquito Management District in Great Falls, Montana.
His phone number is (406) 454-6920, fax 454-6922

Doug got the information from a recent Montana State Department of
Agriculture Newsletter.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz       Tagline       Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

                    Gravity: Not just a good idea, it's the law.

_____________________________________________________________________

Bee Protection:  Not just a good idea, it's the law.    -DLGreen

[email-masked]                                   Dave and Janice Green
Practical Pollination Home Page    
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html  
PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554