Subject: Big Bucks!!

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 14:54:00 GMT

*FYI* You can also subscribe to this list mail, info at bottom. You do
so at own risk. It should be noted that some of these lists are from
"left wing" political groups and someday your government many come down
on you because you may have subscribed and read this inflammatory
rhetoric.
                         ttul Andy-

            =====================================
                         P A N U P S
                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

April 29, 1996

Worldwide Pesticide Sales Increase in 1995

The top pesticide companies all recorded increases in dollar
sales in 1995, according to Agrow: World Crop Protection
News. Global agrochemical sales rose by 11.9% to almost US$29
billion the past year; however, discounting inflation and
currency factors, growth in real terms is estimated to be
4.3%. Industry experts predict that the global agrochemical
market will increase an average of 1.9% per year over the
next five years.

Ciba, a Swiss multinational corporation, was the leading
agrochemical company with over US$3.2 billion in 1995 sales,
an 11.2% increase over 1994. Ciba recently announced plans to
merge with the Swiss multinational Sandoz to form a new
corporation, Novartis. The two companies' agrochemical sales,
which totaled more than US$4.4 billion in 1995, would be
almost double that of their nearest rivals. According to
Agrow, North America and Europe will account for
approximately 60% of Novartis' sales, but the company plans
to target Latin America and Asia as areas of future growth.
In addition to becoming a dominating force in the
agrochemical market, Novartis will also be the world's second
largest seed company and plans to play a leading role in the
introduction of genetically engineered seeds including maize,
oilseeds, sugar beet, vegetables and flowers.

Monsanto, a U.S. based multinational, ranked second with over
US$2.4 billion in sales, an 11% increase over 1994 figures.
Monsanto's herbicide Roundup (glyphosate) posted double-digit
volume growth and was largely responsible for the total
increase in sales. The company is nearing completion of an
herbicide formulation and packaging plant in India, which
according to Monsanto, is necessary to meet the rising demand
for herbicides including glyphosate in India. Monsanto has
also announced plans to acquire Agracetus, W.R. Grace's U.S.
plant biotechnology business. Agracetus, a pioneering
biotechnology company, produced the first transgenic
varieties of cotton, soybeans, peanuts and certain other
crops. Monsanto currently has licensing agreements for some
of this technology; however, the acquisition will give
Monsanto unlimited access to the technology and will
eliminate the possiblity of future disputes over intellectual
property rights.

Of the top agrochemical companies, Bayer showed the largest
growth in dollar sales with a 21.7% increase. The company
rose from sixth to third place in Agrow's dollar sales
ranking, with sales of over US$2.37 billion, and exceeded
sales and profit targets set for its crop protection business
in 1995. Bayer's sales greatly increased in the U.S., Asia
and Latin America in the past year.

Zeneca ranked fourth in dollar sales with sales valued at
over US$2.36 billion. The company saw increases in both
volume and value in all geographical regions and product
categories, including a 10% growth in the U.S. market. Sales
grew by more than 7% in China and Thailand, with a 50%
increase in sales of Gramoxone (paraquat) in China. Zeneca
has announced plans to merge its international seed business
with Suiker Unie, a private Dutch agricultural cooperative.
The new company, Zeneca-VanderHave, will rank among the
world's top five seed companies.

The German multinational AgrEvo had 1995 sales of over
US$2.34 billion, ranking fifth with a 9% share of the global
agrochemical market. Over 43% of AgrEvo's sales were in
Europe in 1995; however, the company expects to expand sales
in the U.S. and Asia in 1996. Within the next two years,
AgrEvo sees its U.S. market share expanding with introduction
of the herbicide glufosinate on herbicide-tolerant crops.

Agrochemical sales of the leading companies
Company             Sales in US$ millions         % change
1. Ciba                   3,284                     +11.2
2. Monsanto               2,472                     +11.1
3. Bayer                  2.373                     +21.7
4. Zeneca                 2,363                     +12.3
5. AgrEvo                 2,344                     +14.6
6. DuPont                 2,322                      +8.9
7. Rhone-Poulenc          2,068                     +14.6
8. DowElanco              1,962                     +13.1
9. Amer. Cyanamid         1,910                     +19.4
10. BASF                  1,450                     +15.3
11. Sandoz                1,125                     +12.4

Sources: Agrow, March 1, March 15, March 29, April 19, 1996.
Contact: PANNA

  ===========================================================
|      Pesticide Action Network North America (PANNA)       |
|                                                           |
| Phone:(415) 541-9140           Fax:(415) 541-9253         |
| Email: [email-masked]         http://www.panna.org/panna/|
| PANNA, 116 New Montgomery, #810, San Francisco, CA 94105  |
|                                                           |
|*To subscribe to PANUPS send email to [email-masked]|
| with the following text on one line: subscribe panups     |
| To unsubscribe send the following: unsubscribe panups     |
|                                                           |
|*For basic information about PANNA, send an email message  |
| to [email-masked]                                 |
 ===========================================================
---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ ... That the still murmur of the honey bee