Subject: Re: information needed about hollow-like hives

From: [email-masked] (Woodschild)
Date: 10 Sep 1996 20:07:36 -0400

I maintain a natural tree-hollow beehive in a nature center. The log is 20
years old now and needs to be replaced because of visitor wear and tear. I
would also be interested in hollow-like hives so we can maintain a VERY
popular exhibit.

---

From: [email-masked] (Woodschild)
Date: 10 Sep 1996 19:45:39 -0400

I maintain a natural tree-hollow beehive in a nature center. Because of
visitor wear and tear the original log needs to be replaced. I would be
interested in any alternative hive designs that would preserve the natural
look of our hive and provide for easier maintenance, inspection, and
feeding - we do not harvest honey. This is a VERY popular display  but
nearly impossible to manage properly - we lost the hive to mites last year
because we couldn't inspect them right.

---

From: "Roman M. Shparber" <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Sep 1996 22:47:06 +0300

I would appreciate if anyone would sare an information - construction plans,
description ( or, even preferable, would name sourses of information -
www sites, etc.) of Farrer or Delong hives ( a hollow immitation hives).

Thank you very much in advance.

Roman Shparber

---

From: Dave Black <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 12:07:40 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, Woodschild
<[email-masked]> writes
>I maintain a natural tree-hollow beehive in a nature center. I would be
>feeding  - we lost the hive to mites last year
I believe it can be illegal to keep bees in hives like this in parts of
the 'States, or it has to be done by licence. This is precisely because
they can't be inspected for disease.
This isn't so in the UK but maybe it should be, what I do is to keep a
topbar hive. I have a hollow trunk cut lengthways into 2/3 and 1/3. The
2/3 is the cavity enlarged by a chain saw, the 1/3 is the roof. By
closing the ends and laying 33mm wide bars across for the whole length
of the 2/3 I get a topbar brood chamber with matching roof. The bees can
be persuaded to draw natural semicircles of comb on each bar, which can
be withdrawn and inspected for swarming and disease. Apistan hangs just
right but drone removal is bit tricky ! 
It seems a workable compromise between beauty and expedience.

-- 
Dave Black
Blacks Bee Gardens, 
Guildford, GU1 4RN.  UK.

---

From: [email-masked] (Vandy Terre)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 01:01:38 GMT

>because we couldn't inspect them right.

Is there any area art class/ school that could make you some ceramic
hive bodies that stack but still have the appearance of a hollow tree?

Vandy Terre
[email-masked]
Georgia, USA