Subject: Arizona honey crops

From: "Nathan Stamey Winesett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 00:18:36 -0400

Hello,
	I am a beekeeper in southwest Florida where bees thrive on orange
blossom, palmetto, Brazilian pepper, Melaluca(sp?), and mangrove.  I am
moving to Tucson, AZ to attend school and I plan on keeping bees there. I
know there are bees there, but what do they feed on?

Sincerely,
	Nathan Winesett

-- 
Nathan Stamey Winesett
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 13:41:00 GMT

>From: "Nathan Stamey Winesett" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Arizona honey crops

>know there are bees there, but what do they feed on?

You will have a blast, as the dreaded "killer" bee have now reached the
area and it is said the bees feed on the local people and small animals.

But not to fear they are reported to bee very productive in years past
but because of a "100 year drought" the prospects for honey crops of any
kind are very poor as the trees and brush are dieing from the lack of
moisture. With luck this will have changed by the time you reach there
and the summer rains will have returned, at least the beekeepers there
hope so or they will have to feed there bees this fall to keep them
alive.

The drought extends for Southern California to Texas and the amounts of
honey produced in much of the area has been very poor to nothing.
---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ ... "Having found the flower and driven a bee away,

---

From: "Nathan Stamey Winesett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 01:31:13 -0400

Well, I just called one of my professors from Tucson, and he said it
rained today!  Thank goodness for the bees.  When visited this spring, the
Palos Verde trees were in full bloom.  Quite pretty.  Which plants are the
honeymakers?

I am excited about the Arizona beekeeping experience.  It sounds as if it
will be quite different from Florida where bees have a plethora of crops
throughout most of the year.  Yet, I would of expected more crops in
Arizona because of the fact that African honeybees reside there.  I
thought they required a nectar flow at intervals throughout the year,
since they spend all of there energy(i.e. honey) swarming.  That is the
reason they couldn't survive in temperate regions.

-- 
Nathan Stamey Winesett
[email-masked]