Subject: Re: The Multi Queen Environment

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 9 Jul 1995 02:23:39 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, Rod Ladwig <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I have also known of cases here in 
>africa that some beekeepers have had up to 5 queens in a hive. 
>
Interesting! How big were the hives--how were the boxes allocated to each
queen?

Adam
-- 
______________________________________
Adam Finkelstein 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 00:32:00 GMT

Detection of Varroa Mite

   Ether Roll Test

   A sample of bees from the broodnest is brushed of the combs into a
   pint or quart jar with a cover. about 300 to 500 bees should be taken
   to get a good sample. The jar should be no more than about one third
   full. Bees from more than one colony in a yard can be combined into
   one sample. loosen the cover, spray a short squirt ( one or two
   seconds ) of ether starting fluid into the jar and quickly replace the
   cover. The jar is shaken for 20-30 seconds and then held up and
   rolled. Mites should show up as reddish brown oval objects stuck to
   the inside of the jar. With a magnifying lens you will be able to see
   the legs if you have mites. Any mites found can be placed into a
   container of alcohol and mailed in to the Apiary office for
   confirmation.

   Drone Brood Check

   Uncap drone brood and carefully remove a sample of pupae. Examine each
   pupa for mites which are small reddish brown objects that show up
   readily on the white pupae. Some mites may crawl out of cells when the
   cappings are removed. About 100 drone pupae per colony is a good
   sample.

   Combs from hives that have died and were heavily infested with varroa
   mites at the time can be bounced on a flat service and the mite pupa
   skins, (white specks) sometimes can be dislodged and viewed.
---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ ... The bee, dost thou forget?

---

From: [email-masked] (Alex Kooney)
Date: 13 Mar 1996 21:39:13 GMT

Andy Nachbaur ([email-masked]) wrote:

:    Detection of Varroa Mite

:    Ether Roll Test

:    A sample of bees from the broodnest is brushed of the combs into a
:    pint or quart jar with a cover. about 300 to 500 bees should be taken
:    to get a good sample. The jar should be no more than about one third
:    full. Bees from more than one colony in a yard can be combined into
:    one sample. loosen the cover, spray a short squirt ( one or two
:    seconds ) of ether starting fluid into the jar and quickly replace the
:    cover. The jar is shaken for 20-30 seconds and then held up and

	Wouldn't pure diethyl ether be healthier for the bees.  Starter 
fluid contains petroleum ethers which are just light distillates - fatal 
to most breathing organisms.  Is killing the bees the object?

				Timothy

---

From: [email-masked] (LA Kellogg lawrence a 703-414-4424)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 08:21:17 GMT

>to most breathing organisms.  Is killing the bees the object?

 Yes, killing the bees (and the mites) is the object. That way the mites 
are dislodged from the bees and stick to the sides of the jar. After 
that it is pretty easy to count the number of Varroa from your sample. 

  Larry Kellogg
  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (BusyKnight)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 00:34:25 GMT

>   Detection of Varroa Mite
   Guess I've never seen the reason to go to this much
trouble.  First off, the mites are readily visible on the 
adult bees and by looking at just a few frames of bees,
you can observe many thousands of bees to obtain a
more detailed sampling (visually).  Some may argue that
by the time you can spot a problem in this fashion, then
you've already got a problem (well, the same is true of the
either roll test).  For early detection, probably the done pupe
search is best.  At least you're only killing *drones* that
way.  Also, you probably won't have to look at very many 
to determine if you've got a real problem.  And as far as
trying to obtain some kind of count (of the mites) to determine
the level of the problem: usually an Apistan strip and a
piece of cardboard sprayed with Pam will capture the
dead mites to give you an indication.  (I've never done this;
IMHO unless you're doing research, why count dead mites?)
If you have a mite problem, treat - or you won't have a colony
to worry about.

BusyKinght
Dallas, TX

---

From: [email-masked] (Alex Kooney)
Date: 14 Mar 1996 22:29:53 GMT

LA Kellogg lawrence a 703-414-4424 ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Alex Kooney) writes:
: >Andy Nachbaur ([email-masked]) wrote:
: >
: >:    Detection of Varroa Mite
: >
: >:    Ether Roll Test
: >
: >:    A sample of bees from the broodnest is brushed of the combs into a
: >:    pint or quart jar with a cover. about 300 to 500 bees should be taken
: >:    to get a good sample. The jar should be no more than about one third
: >:    full. Bees from more than one colony in a yard can be combined into
: >:    one sample. loosen the cover, spray a short squirt ( one or two
: >:    seconds ) of ether starting fluid into the jar and quickly replace the
: >:    cover. The jar is shaken for 20-30 seconds and then held up and
: >
: >
: >	Wouldn't pure diethyl ether be healthier for the bees.  Starter 
: >fluid contains petroleum ethers which are just light distillates - fatal 
: >to most breathing organisms.  Is killing the bees the object?
: >
: >				Timothy
: >

:  Yes, killing the bees (and the mites) is the object. That way the mites 
: are dislodged from the bees and stick to the sides of the jar. After 
: that it is pretty easy to count the number of Varroa from your sample. 

:   Larry Kellogg
:   [email-masked]

If you  are going to kill the bees anyway why not just use an alcohol 
wash.  It seems this has a lower detection threshold.

		Timothy

---

From: [email-masked] (LA Kellogg lawrence a 703-414-4424)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 10:21:44 GMT

>wash.  It seems this has a lower detection threshold.

   I guess I'm confused. What do you mean by a lower detection threshold? 
I think ether is used because it works quickly and provides a sticky 
medium for the mites to stick to the sides of the jar. The bees are heavier 
and don't stick to the jar. I don't see why you would want to use an 
alcohol wash. Does that mean you would dump some alcohol in the jar? Sounds 
kinda messy...

  Larry

---

From: [email-masked] (Alex Kooney)
Date: 15 Mar 1996 16:20:28 GMT

LA Kellogg lawrence a 703-414-4424 ([email-masked]) wrote:
: >
: >:  Yes, killing the bees (and the mites) is the object. That way the mites 
: >: are dislodged from the bees and stick to the sides of the jar. After 
: >: that it is pretty easy to count the number of Varroa from your sample. 
: >
: >:   Larry Kellogg
: >:   [email-masked]
: >
: >If you  are going to kill the bees anyway why not just use an alcohol 
: >wash.  It seems this has a lower detection threshold.
: >
: >
: >		Timothy
: >

:    I guess I'm confused. What do you mean by a lower detection threshold? 
: I think ether is used because it works quickly and provides a sticky 
: medium for the mites to stick to the sides of the jar. The bees are heavier 
: and don't stick to the jar. I don't see why you would want to use an 
: alcohol wash. Does that mean you would dump some alcohol in the jar? Sounds 
: kinda messy...

:   Larry

Soaking and shaking a sample of bees in alcohol then filtering is about 2 to
three times more sensitive for testing for varroa.  The lower detection
threshold means that fewer mites need be present before a positive result 
is obtained.

				Timothy

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 19:48:00 GMT

D>From: [email-masked] (Alex Kooney)
 >Subject: Re: Varroa Ether Roll Test

D>If you  are going to kill the bees anyway why not just use an alcohol
 >wash.  It seems this has a lower detection threshold.

Hello Timothy,

  The reason we use ether is because almost every commercial beekeeper
carries a can in his truck to start it when we play the radio too long
or to start the fork lift when we forget and leave the switch on.

Starting fluid is ideal for field testing because it is cheep and can
just about be purchased in any auto parts store or gas station and it
contains enough impurities to coat the inside of the jar to capture the
mites that fall off the bees, and it kills the bees fast. You could
use just about anything from water to gasoline to do the same job if
you had too. Water would take longer and require some shaking to
dislodge the mites. Gasoline would not be smart to use around a bee
smoker, but would work in a pinch. If you have all diesel equipment
as many beekeepers do, you may not like using either and many use
some form of liquid wrench which is high test diesel to start bulky
diesel engine's and this could also be used to kill bees for mite tests.
The original material I used myself was just a small collection
tube and alcohol, works great for bees you can see the mites on and
the bee can be used for other tests or just held for review.

                        ttul Andy-

(c) Permission is granted to freely copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)Opinions are not necessarily facts. Use at own risk.

---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ ... The summer comes with flower and bee,--