Subject: Bee Condition Reports

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 15:00:00 GMT

*A few bee condition reports off the net from USDA..

TV FV193,YYJ
THOMASVILLE, GA.  MAR 29, 1996
VERSTRATE - YAKIMA
HONEY REPORT

GEORGIA -  Colonies around the state were in fair to good condition.
The spring buildup and development progressed poorly during the month
of March.  During the month weather conditions were generally
unfavorable with frequent periods of rainfall and below normal
temperatures.  Cold damaging temperatures on the early morning hours of
March 9 and 10 damaged open blooms on a number of early nectar sources.
In the southern portions of the state, blueberry blooms were lost.
Titi blooms were damaged to a lesser extent.  In the central portions
of the state, the cold temperatures hurt the canola flow.  At the end
of the month, there was some activity on surviving titi blooms with
subsequent honey production noted for colony buildup only.
Supplemental feeding has taken place and is expected to continue until
additional nectar sources become available.  Overall vegetation is
significantly behind that of traditional schedules.  Despite the
inclement weather received during March, colonies have brooded up
rapidly as bees were able to work abundant pollen sources.

MISSISSIPPI - Colonies around the state were in fair to good condition.
The spring buildup and development progressed poorly during the month
of March.  During the month weather conditions were generally
unfavorable with frequent periods of rainfall and below normal
temperatures.  Cold damaging temperatures in early March damaged open
blooms on the majority of the early nectar sources.  In the southern
portions of the state, titi blooms suffered measurable damage.  In the
central and northern portions of the state most of the fruit blooms
were lost.  At the end of the month, there was some activity on
surviving titi blooms with subsequent honey production noted for
primarily colony buildup.  Supplemental feeding has taken place and is
expected to continue until additional nectar sources become available.
Overall vegetation is significantly behind that of traditional
schedules.  Despite the inclement weather received in March, colonies
have brooded up rapidly as bees were able to work abundant pollen
sources.  Beekeepers in the southern portions of the state have noted
swarming towards the end of the month.

1330e sgl

--O--
.
---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ ... And where the bee with cowslip bells was wrestling.