Subject: Extracting

From: [email-masked] (H M McCabe (Harold))
Date: 4 Mar 1996 16:18:57 GMT

I have a few hives as a hobby. The last time I extracted honey I used
an extractor without a cover -- spattered honey everywhere which resulted
in every bee in the township converging on me. I usually do the extracting
outside since I have no enclosed building suitable for this activity. Would
doing the extracting at night help avoid the influx of bees? Has anyone
done extracting at night outside?

-- 
Harold McCabe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything above this line is my opinion, even my name.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Voice: 313-845-1133              Driver Information & Controls Software
FAX:   313-323-6699              Ford/Automotive Components Division
[email-masked]                 Dearborn, MI USA

---

From: [email-masked] (BusyKnight)
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 1996 19:57:56 GMT

[email-masked] (H M McCabe (Harold)) wrote:
> Would

Yep!  Thats the way I do it.  Let me explain the setting:  It's not
exactly outside but I do open up the barndoors.  I do my extracting
at night and usually invite another beekeeper or two over (and
their supers, of course).  And we have an all night party!  They help
me uncap and I help them.  Usually the other beekeepers don't have 
their own extractor and are more than willing to help me in trade for
letting them use my extractor.  I clean up my own equipment afterwards
which really isn't any more messy after 40 supers than 80 supers.
Also, I get to keep the cappings wax!  I usually invite a new
beekeeper who is looking for help and experience anyway and another
who has been with me for several years now.  I start in around sundown
and the lights at night don't cause any problems.  Just be sure that 
you've got things put away (or at least covered up by sunrise!).

BusyKnight
Dallas, TX

P.S. -  Besides, extracting at night allows the temperature to 'cool'
down  to 95 deg F so that I can call my honey "organic".     <g>

BusyKnight
[email-masked]
ICBM INcode:N:32.45'W:96.45'
Republic of Texas
Space Station - $11 Billion
and counting....
And not the FIRST piece of
hardware in orbit!