Subject: USED HIVE'S

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 02:01:52 GMT

This is my first year to try to keep bees. I live in Ontario Canada. I
bought one hive complete with bees. I would like to expand to three
hives for next year.
My question is... I found someone who has ten complete hives that have
not been used for 2-3 years. He will sell me a couple, but I an
wondering about the changes of picking up diseases from the used
equipment. Is this a concern?? If so is there a way to clean to
prevent problems? I know the hives would have to be inspected by our
Ministry, but I would like some advice from someone with real
experience on this problem.  Maybe I should just buy new!!

Any words of wisdom would be great.  

P.S  Is there any other good related sites on the web or in the
newsgroups on beekeeping?

Thanks  Mr.McGoo

---

From: Morley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 21:49:33 -0852

> newsgroups on beekeeping?

My friendly bee expert of many years standing helped me when my last 
and only colony was destroyed by acarine last year.  He gently 
blow-torched the inside of the whole hive and we started on the 
principle that fire is purefying.  This year's new colony, a swarm 
introduced in May, has settled in well and produced about 20lbs. of 
honey.Bavarol strips have now been put in for 6 weeks as is mandatory 
where I live.  We did not renew the wax foundation on the principle 
that no mites survive where there are no bees and the supers and 
frames had been in storage all though the winter with moth crystals 
scattered through them.

---

From: Gerry Visel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 10:35:57 -0700

The worst thing to watch for when buying used hives is Foulbrood.  (Mites 
don't live long (hours-days) without bees.)  Torching out the inside of 
the boxes should make them useable, though infected combs should be 
burned.  Treat with Terramyacin right away on restart. (Grease patties 
with TM work well.)

Typically, if bees are not on the brood comb, the wax moths will get in 
the brood comb area and make a terrible mess, eating into the wood and 
spinning web all over.  They are not contageous, however, and a strong 
colony will keep any remnants at bay.  I have bought some of these 
(cheap!) for the boxes.

It is worth it to take along an experienced beekeeper to identify the 
condition.

Good Luck!
Gerry Visel