Subject: Fire ants and bee hive

From: "robby" <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Sep 1996 22:55:21 GMT

I would like to start an discussion on the subject of FIRE ANT RAIDS on bee
hives and bee box's .

We are doing some research in to preventing fire ants for entering the
hive.    

please vist our web site at http://home1.gte/talin/index.htm

---

From: Dave MacFawn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 19:59:49 GMT

I am in the Columbia, SC area.  A couple of week ago I noticed
what I thought was a low level of robbing but later discovered
that fire ants were on the bottom board entrance collecting
food.  At the same time they were getting on the guard bees,
which looked like robbing at first glance. The bees were
"grooming" the ants off of each other.    I noticed upon further
examination that the fire ants were on the stand.  I used Amdroz
around the base of the stand and this cured the problem.

When I lived in NC, where there are no fire ants, I could put a
super out and let the bees rob the excess honey out.  I tried
this in SC but found that the fire ants would invade the super,
rob it out, and the bees would stay clear.

My 2 cents worth

Dave M.

>=========="robby", 9/2/96==========
>

dave macfawn
AT&T Global Information Solutions
[email-masked]
(803) 939-7409