Subject: Texas Reg's

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 02:09:00 GMT

As Afro bees spread Texas continues it's own quarantine on bee movement
which has not slowed down bee movement in to or out of Texas?

  Aug. 28, 1996

HENDERSON COUNTY QUARANTINED FOR AFRICANIZED BEES

   Writer: Kathleen Davis, (409) 845-2872, [email-masked]
   Contact: Paul Jackson, (409) 845-9721

   COLLEGE STATION -- Henderson County on Wednesday was added to the
   state quarantine restricting the movement of commercial bee operations
   following the detection of Africanized honey bees there. Texas now has
   88 counties quarantined for Africanized honey bees.

   The bees were found near Tool, north of Trinidad, by a beekeeper who
   was checking his hives. Apparently the Africanized honey bees had
   moved into an empty hive box, according to Paul Jackson, chief
   inspector for the Texas Apiary Inspection Service, a unit of the Texas
   Agricultural Experiment Station.

   A sample from that trap was analyzed at the Texas A&M Honey Bee
   Identification Lab in College Station and found to be Africanized.
   Jackson said an apiary inspector then took samples from various other
   hives in the area and all were found to be European, or regular
   domestic honey bees.

   Jackson noted that Navarro County, across the Trinity River from
   Henderson County, was quarantined for AHB earlier this year indicating
   that the bees are moving in that direction. He said the apiary
   inspection service has placed traps in that area to monitor movement.
   State bee inspectors continue to monitor a series of bee traplines
   that extend across the state from Louisiana to New Mexico, Jackson
   noted.

   The Africanized bee was first detected entering the United States near
   Brownsville in October 1990. Since then, the bee has spread through
   the southern half of the state, along a line roughly from south of
   Houston to Temple to Lamesa and El Paso. Africanized honey bees also
   have been found in Arizona, California and New Mexico.

   The quarantine allows beekeepers to move bee hives within but not out
   of the zone in an effort to prevent assisting the spread. Africanized
   honey bees look just like regular domestic honey bees but are more
   defensive in protecting their hives.
   ###

   Editor's Note: Here is the complete list of the 88 Texas counties
   under quarantine because of Africanized bee finds: Aransas, Atascosa,
   Austin, Bandera, Bastrop, Bee, Bell, Bexar, Brewster, Brooks,
   Caldwell, Calhoun, Cameron, Colorado, Comal, Crane, Crockett,
   Culberson, Dawson, De Witt, Dimmit, Duval, Ector, Edwards, El Paso,
   Falls, Fayette, Fort Bend, Frio, Glasscock, Goliad, Gonzales,
   Guadalupe, Hays, Henderson, Hidalgo, Hudspeth, Irion, Jackson, Jeff
   Davis, Jim Hogg, Jim Wells, Karnes, Kenedy, Kerr, Kimble, Kinney,
   Kleberg, La Salle, Lavaca, Limestone, Live Oak, Martin, Matagorda,
   Maverick, McLennan, McMullen, Medina, Menard, Midland, Milam, Navarro,
   Nueces, Pecos, Presidio, Reagan, Real, Refugio, San Patricio,
   Schleicher, Starr, Sutton, Terrell, Tom Green, Travis, Upton, Uvalde,
   Val Verde, Victoria, Ward, Washington, Webb, Wharton, Willacy,
   Williamson, Wilson, Zapata and Zavala.

   -30-
---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ Vereniging tot Bevordering van de Bijenteelt

---

From: [email-masked] (Kirk & Sharon Jones)
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 1996 23:45:29 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Andy

> HENDERSON COUNTY QUARANTINED FOR AFRICANIZED BEES
 
What are the consequences for migratory beekeepers that are wintering in
any of these areas?