Subject: REMINDER: CFV:sci.agriculture.{poultry,ratites}

From: [email-masked] (Kathryn A. Smith)
Date: 7 Mar 1996 17:09:16 GMT

Hello everyone,

I wanted to send out this reminder out to the various newsgroups.  There are 
only 2 weeks left to cast your vote.  The final day to vote is March 22nd.  If 
you have already voted, thank you for taking the time and please excuse this 
reminder.

Remember, you can cast your vote via a newsgroup or via email (see directions 
below).

If you have any questions, please contact me or one of the other CFV 
proponents.

Kathryn A. Smith
[email-masked]

---------------------- Cast your vote via a newsgroup ------------

The best place to find a copy of the CFV is to look in the newsgroup 
news.announce.newgroups.  This is a moderated newsgroups, and therefore, the 
posts are not removed as quickly as those in an unmoderated newsgroup.

Read the CFV very carefully.  You will need to follow the directions exactly.

You can just simply reply to the post.  The post will be redirected to the 
automatic vote counter.  You will need to edit out all but the ballot.  How o 
do this is very clear in the CFVs directions.

Remember to put your full name after the 'Voter Name:' line (look carefully for 
this - it is sort of buried) and please cast a vote for EACH newsgroup.  Your 
vote should be placed between the [ and ] brackets.  Double check you name and 
your vote, then send the post.

If everything went correctly, you will receive two letters from the votetaker. 
 The response may take a day or two, so be patient.  If after 3 days you have 
still not receive the letters, please vote again.  Only your last vote will be 
counted.

------------------ How to get your own CFV via email --------------------

How to vote using email.  It's VERY important that you follow these 
directions EXACTLY!

1.  Open a NEW mail message and address it to:
[email-masked]

2.  Under the Subject put: request cfv

3.  For the BODY of the message : leave blank

4.  Then send your mail message off.

This will request your own personal copy of the CFV delivered right to
your own mailbox.  It may take a day or so (I requested mine yesterday
afternoon and received it this morning) before you receive it.  Look
in your mailbox for an incoming message with the following subject:

copy of CFV: "sci.agriculture.{poultry,ratites}" proposal

When you GET this email message do the following:

1.  Open the email message.  

2.  Take the time to READ the entire thing, word for word.  This will
save yourself headaches and possibly an invalid vote.

3.  Now it's time to send in your vote.  At this point there are two
options:

        a) if you have the option of including the mail text when you
reply, then just reply.  If you use the reply option, you need to DELETE 
everything except for the ballot.  There are lines before and after
the ballot specifically SAYING to delete everything before this line
and after the other.

        b) Otherwise, read down until you find the actual ballot, and
highlight it, then copy it and paste it into a new mail message

4.  You should now have a mail message up on the screen, with the
ballot part in the body.  

5.  Make SURE that you change WHO the message is being sent to, it
SHOULD be sent to:

    [email-masked]

6.  Now in the ballot, look for a place that says: Voter Name:  It's
kind of hidden so you might have to search for it.  In that place, you
need to type in your name.

7.  Now between the [ and the ] is where you need to type in your
vote. Valid votes are: YES, NO, ABSTAIN and CANCEL.  There are two
newsgroups, please indicate your vote for BOTH newsgroups.  You can 
vote differently for both if you would like.  After typing in your 
vote for both the newsgroups between the [ and the ], then it's time 
to send in your vote.  Before hitting that send button, double check 
to make sure of the following: 

        a)  Mail message is addressed to:   [email-masked] b)
         You have ONLY the ballot in the main body c)  You've typed in
         your name d) You voted to both newsgroups  e)  You've typed 
         in your vote between the [ and the ] 

8.  After you've double-checked these 5 things, then go ahead and send
off your vote.  You should receive a confirmation of your vote within
a few days through email.  If you do not receive it within say 4 days
(allow for some netlag), I would try repeating your steps again.  If
they received your first vote, and get a second one.  The first one is
thrown out and the second one is kept (so placing two votes from the
same email account doesn't work).