Subject: [Q] Is there a FAQ?

From: [email-masked] (Peter Barney)
Date: 10 Aug 1995 07:15:54 GMT

Hello, everyone.  I'm posting this message on behalf of my girlfriend, who 
wishes to know of good sources for learning how to keep bees for the purpose 
of harvesting honey (is there another reason?).

So, is there a faq for this group?  If not, could you recommend reading 
materials or organizations that could point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

PS, please email your replies.

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Barney | [email-masked] | Voice (419) 478-9845 | Do or do not
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 10 Aug 1995 12:17:44 -0400

>Subject:	[Q] Is there a FAQ?
>From:	[email-masked] (Peter Barney)
>Date:	10 Aug 1995 07:15:54 GMT
>

  I keep honeybees as a commercial beekeeper (almost) exclusively for crop
pollination service.  The farmers must have bees, so they pay me for the
service of supplying them to their crops while blooming.
"If your melon is sweet, the farmer got bees from me; if it isn't sweet,
he didn't."

   I highly recommend a subscription to Bee Culture for beginners.  It is
jammed with all kinds of info, as well as ads for bee equipment, queens,
bees, etc.  You can get info from <[email-masked]>

   If you are in the USA (always a good idea on a beekeeping post to let
folks know where you are) you should check with your county extension
agent, who should have some materials, and more important, will point you
to local clubs, which exist in most places.

   Any decent sized library should have some basic beekeeping books,
though they will likely not have anything on current situations such as
varroa mites, which you MUST control, or you won't be keeping bees long
.
   There are several FAQ's around,  one can be gotten from Adam
Finkelstein  <[email-masked]>  I think he keeps the most up-to-date
one.

   If you have pollination questions, you can e-mail me. That is my
livelihood, so I should know a little.

[email-masked]                                 Dave Green
PO Box 1215,  Hemingway,  SC  29554