Subject: Re: Weights & Measures in the UK

From: [email-masked] ("Mike Davies")
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 06:48:30 GMT

> Of course, this is all completely insane.  Selling 454g quantities of
> honey, rather than 1lb, is not metrication.

:-) Quite. My main concern was the jars, not the labels, after all I 
could just write over the label with a felt tip pen.

None of the main UK suppliers (Steele & Brodie, Thorne, or Exeter Bee 
Supplies) even offer metric jars, so I wondered what the heck was going 
on.

Mike

---

From: [email-masked] (Malcolm Roe)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 17:49:54 GMT

>Supplies) even offer metric jars, so I wondered what the heck was going 

My understanding is that, apart from very small quantities (under about
2oz, I think), the legal situation is as follows:

Until this October, honey can only be sold in a number of specified
multiples and sub-multiples of 1lb.

>From  October onwards, honey can only be sold in a number of specified
multiples and sub-multiples of 454g.

What's the difference?  Only the labels.  That's why I called the
situation insane!

-- 
Malcolm Roe                                Phone  :  +44 1442 345104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd                  Fax    :  +44 1442 343000
Hemel Hempstead, Herts. HP2 7RH, UK        E-mail :  [email-masked] 
------------------------------------------------------------------------