Subject: Can I store comb honey in the freezer?

From: Marc Andelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 14:32:33 -0700

Hi. I am producing comb honey for personal use, and wonder if I can
just put it up in the deep freezer, or will this cause it to 
crystallize?

Thank you
Marc Andelman

---

From: [email-masked] (Joel Govostes)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 20:31:08 -0500

> just put it up in the deep freezer, or will this cause it to 

Actually, storing it in a deep freezer is probably the best way to keep
it.  In fact,this will usually prevent granulation. Also it protects the
comb honey from wax moth larvae damage by destroying any minute eggs
present.  The practice usually recommended is to put the comb honey in a
plastic bag and seal it (with a twist-tie) prior to putting in the
freezer.  Then someday when you take it out of the freezer, leave it in
the bag for several hours til it returns to room temp.  This way the
moisture condenses on the outside of the bag and not on the comb honey
itself.  Also be careful handling it when it comes out of the freezer, as
it is brittle.

---

From: spiderlily <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Sep 1996 02:51:27 GMT

Why bother?  It is a known fact that honey is the only food in the world 
that doesn't go bad.  Archeologists have tasted literally ancient honey 
>from  the tombs of the Pharohs in Egypt and found it to be in excellent 
condition.

Agni Bhaktarama

Carbonaria Honey Farm
Madhya Pradesh, India

---

From: Jon Camp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 02:54:09 GMT

Yeah, but the wax moths may get to enjoy it before you do.

                       JC in NH

---

From: [email-masked] (Aaron Morris)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 96 08:01:19 EDT

In article <[email-masked]>
spiderlily <[email-masked]> writes:
 
>that doesn't go bad.
 
True, the honey won't "go bad", meaning that it won't spoil.  However,
comb honey that has crystalized in the comb is considered
"nonmarketable".  Although it is still good, crystalized comb honey is
frowned upon by the consuming population.  Storing the combs in the
freezer will prevent crystalization, keeping the combs marketable.  I
try to keep a few dozen combs frozen over winter to supply my wholesale
customers early in the spring when they open their roadside stands
before the new crop is in.
 
Suggested reading: _Honey_in_the_Comb_ by Eugene Killion available from
Dadant Press.
 
Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!

---

From: William Welch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 20:10:55 -0400

> Yeah, but the wax moths may get to enjoy it before you do.
I really can't imagine much wax moth activity at 0 degrees F. as they
are insects and therefore coldblooded.
-- 
Bill Welch
Fly Fisherman
http://www.agate.net/~wwelch/bill.html