Subject: What bees are resistant to mites and are any available to U.S. bee keepers?

From: Elise Palmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 09:06:23 -0400

I am looking for any information on bees resistant or tolerant to
mites.  Can anyone suggest helpful literature or resource people?  I
understand there was a Public Radio segment on resistant Asian bees
about 1-2 months ago.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

---

From: hoeger <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Sep 1996 14:01:40 GMT

Hi,
are you looking for bees resistant to Varroa?
And they should be of the Apis mellifera species for beekeeping?
Well, I think all beekeepers want such bees to get away from the 
mite problem. But as far as I know there is no light at the 
horizont.  All notes about Varroa resistant honeybees are 
fiction. And the resistant asian bee species, were Varroa 
originally comes from, are not usefull for beekeeping in Central 
Europe or America. I´m sure that this species got other problems.
So let´s looking forward to the future and the Varroa-tolerant 
bee.

Best regards

Ulli