Subject: Comb information

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Aug 1996 19:09:15 GMT

I am an engineer carrying out structural analyses of honeybee cells and combs.
Up until now my data has been very approximate and I was hoping that someone
could point me to appropriate references for the following ....

(a) Structural material properties for wax ... eg constitutive relation, is it viscoelastic,
bimodulus ? I do appreciate that it will be variable and temperature dependant.

(b) Information on comb metrology .... shape, sizes, thicknesses.

(c) Information on how precisely the bees build the cells and comb.

---

From: Gerry Visel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 13:35:08 -0700

With all due respect an engineer, (and I are one,) FINITE ELEMENT 
ANALYSIS on honeycomb???  

Whatever for???

On "on how precisely the bees build the cells and comb," you might want 
to get or observe an observation hive, which has glass sides to allow you 
to watch.

Gerry Visel