Subject: Shipping packages from California east

From: [email-masked] (Rick Haver)
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 1996 16:22:44 -0500

Has anybody had any experience with getting packages from California shipped
to the east?? The guys in the south don't do carniolans (ggrrrr!) but
there seem to be plenty of Carny suppliers in California. How well do
these packages travel across the country?? I imagine they would take at
least an extra day to Vermont compared to a Georgia package. How well do
the bees stand up to this?

Rick Haver
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 3 Apr 1996 08:10:59 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Rick Haver) writes:

>From:	[email-masked] (Rick Haver)

>the bees stand up to this?

   I wouldn't want to subject the packages to the extra stresses.  There's
usually enough without adding another day or two.

   Queens are easily shipped, so it would not be necessary to send whole
packages.
You could order queenless packages, or could have your package producer
use the queens you select and send to him.  I have done this for buyers of
nucs, since I do not raise Carniolan stock.  I find Carnies can't stand
100 degree heat, which we often have in the summer.  They'll dwindle right
down, often to nothing.

[email-masked]                                   Dave Green
Pollination Home Page     http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html  
PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554

---

From: [email-masked] (Alex Kooney)
Date: 3 Apr 1996 22:16:35 GMT

Rick Haver ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Has anybody had any experience with getting packages from California shipped
: to the east?? The guys in the south don't do carniolans (ggrrrr!) but
: there seem to be plenty of Carny suppliers in California. How well do
: these packages travel across the country?? I imagine they would take at
: least an extra day to Vermont compared to a Georgia package. How well do
: the bees stand up to this?

: Rick Haver
: [email-masked]

Try Busby Apiary in Angie, LA 504-735-5330.  They sell carniolan queens and
packages.  Honey Land farms near Orlando,FL 904-429-3996 sells ARS YC1 hybrid
carniolan that is supposed to be mite resistant (I'll know later this year)

				Timothy

---

From: Jon Camp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 20:52:37 GMT

I think you are going to find that most Western package producers 
won't ship to the eastern seaboard. Strachan and Taber won't, 
they produce carniolanbees and queens.  The losses are too
great, it is roughly two to three times the shipping distance, 
and the post office has enough trouble getting them from GA and 
AL alive as it is.  Evidently you haven't experienced the US 
Postal Service's famous "apis ala fructose"?  (that roughly 
translates to any race of honeybee lightly simmered in a bath of 
high fructose corn syrup while in transit for three days in the 
back of an overheated contract carrier)  I'm am sure that there 
are many hobbyists out there that can relate that experience to 
you with great deatil.

                         Jon Camp  Silver City Apiaries

 "how can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere
  at all..."  (Firesign Theatre - The Further Adventures of Nick 
  Danger, Private Eye, circa 1969)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 1996 13:50:33 GMT

>[email-masked]
Busby's Apiaries has the best caniolans in the country!  I have used
his queens for years.  They are so gentle that my state inspector
refers to them as sissy bees.  I have tried many of the carnie queens
>from  the West Coast including the New World Carniolan and allways end
up going back to Busby's queens.  They are just the finest to be be
found.

Greg Ferris
Maryland beekeeper
[email-masked]