Subject: Grass cutting around hive

From: Timothy Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 14:15:32 -0700

Question:  I'm planning to locate a bee hive in my backyard behind a 
greenhouse.  I understand that the bees do not like loud noises or 
motors.  What are the problems and solutions for keeping the grass mowed 
and the weeds at bay?
-- 
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    
     Timothy M. Lee                 Voice: (501) 324-9043
     UALR Arkansas SBDC             Fax:   (501) 324-9049   
     100 S. Main St, Suite 401      E-mail: [email-masked]
     Little Rock, Arkansas 72201    http://www.ualr.edu/~tmlee1/ 

            "Chance favors the prepared mind" - L. Pasteur

---

From: [email-masked]@primenet.com (Richard Boosey)
Date: 23 Sep 1996 13:25:01 -0700

>motors.  What are the problems and solutions for keeping the grass mowed 
Tim, I had three hives in a yard area and cut the grass using a string
trimmer rather than try to get near them with either a riding mower or
a gas motor.  I tried to come at the hive from the sides rather than
walk directly up to it.

One suggestion is that you shield the hive in such a manner that the
bees have to go up before they fly out.  We used shrubs that forced
them about 7 feet in the air.  Actually watching them fly directly to
an alfalfa field across the road was very interesting.  There were two
flight paths, one out and the other back in.  By getting them to go up
first, you prevent the potential sting caused by someone walking into
a bee's flight path.                                 

Rich

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 24 Sep 1996 13:31:17 GMT

I have a few hives around my property.  I found that as long as you pass 
quickly by the openings, you usually dont attract attention.  Just be 
sure to point the grass thrower away from the hive openings.  Also in 
times of heavy activity, I will wait till the evening to mow around the 
hives.  Or.....keep a bee screen on your head untill you get more 
comfortable with the mowing

---

From: Morley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 19:15:44 -0852

> first, you prevent the potential sting caused by someone walking into

We use a strimmer after they've gone to bed!

---

From: [email-masked] (Aaron Morris)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 96 07:38:45 EDT

In article <[email-masked]>
 
>motors.  What are the problems and solutions for keeping the grass mowed
 
As location is to a restaurant, there are three critical things to
keeping the grass and weeds at bay: MULCH, MULCH and MULCH.  Get a few
bales of straw and MULCH around your hives.  You won't need no stinkin'
lawn mower!
 
Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Petty)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 10:47:53

>motors.  What are the problems and solutions for keeping the grass mowed 

I used to have a hive in my backyard.  I placed it on a pallet on a piece of 
black plastic to keep the weeds away.  The plastic extended about four or five 
feet in front of the hive.  I would regularly mow (with a gas mower) to the 
edge of the plastic with no problems.  However, I've had other hives elsewhere 
that I don't think would have been so tolerant.

Paul Petty (near Portland OR)

---

From: [email-masked] (jim)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 03:51:20 GMT

>>motors.  What are the problems and solutions for keeping the grass mowed 

I like to put cardboard or plywood or sheetmetal scraps in front of
the hives to keep the weeds down.This year  I did need to mow the
parts not covered by the cardboard etc. I used a gas push  mower ( I
had my veil on as a precaution) but it was very nice weather and I
have some very sweet tempered bees and I could have dispensed with the
veil. some other ideas: a rotary - muscle powered push mower ( won't
work if the grass is too high though), do it at night, spread salt
around the area, use one of those propane burners for getting weeds in
cracks.

Jim ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 26 Sep 1996 18:27:07 GMT

.  I understand that the bees do not like loud noises or
>  >motors.  

Bees do not hear loud noises or motors. They might feel the vibration. They will see you and may attack and they may not like the 
smell of the exhaust.