Subject: harmless pesticides?

From: [email-masked] (Nik.Tsoukas)
Date: 31 May 1996 15:10:34 GMT

Hello all,
	I am having a big problem with caterpillars which are detroying
some peanut trees that I have. The problem is that I have 3 hives nearby.
Is there any pesticide that could get rid of the caterpillars, yet leaving
the hives unaffected?
	And what about the ants; how can I get rid of a nearby ant nest?
			Thanks,
			Nick Tsoukas

--
             \\///
             (o-o)
   +------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------------------------+
   |  Nick Tsoukas..  Chemical Eng. Dep.- N.T.U.A   |
   |---------------------------+--------------------|
   |        japetus            | Merlin 3,          |
   | [email-masked]  | GR-106 71  ATHENS  |
   | [email-masked]   | tel: (30-1)3635652 |

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 01:59:00 GMT

C>From: [email-masked] (Nik.Tsoukas)
 >Subject: harmless pesticides?

C>Hello all,
 >        And what about the ants; how can I get rid of a nearby ant nest?

Hi Nick,

Need more info in the caterpillars..but if its only a few peanut "trees"
you may be able to use some form of DIPEL, which is a bacillus that
should not harm honeybees. Or if they are really trees with a central
trunk you could use sticky paper rap or paint, but depends on what
caterpillars you have and if they are hatching in the peanuts or coming
>from  outside. How many peanut trees do you have? As for the ants, unless
they are some kind of problem, best left alone, but dust the nests if
can find them with dusting grade sulfur, and or band around the bee hive
with it and/or the trees. Don't get it on the leaves if you are not sure
if it will burn them or not.
                                 ttul Andy-
---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ "Where there is honey, there are beekeepers"

---

From: [email-masked] (CAMILLIUS LAY 19870601)
Date: 4 Jun 1996 15:23:35 GMT

> 	And what about the ants; how can I get rid of a nearby ant nest?

Nick:

Anything with BT or BTi (Bacillus thuringiensis or B. thuringiensis var.
isrealensis should be fine for caterpillars and relatively harmless to bees.
Follow the label.  

For the ants I'd suggest a bait of some kind, either commercially prepared
or home-made.  First you'll have to figure out what the ants like to eat
(sugars or proteins and fats) so that you can give them something they'll
eat.

Good luck,
C