Subject: CALIF BEE TIMES (review)

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 00:48:00 GMT

__________________________________________________________
         (//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////)
         (//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////)
         /~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\
        |     I LOVE MY HONEY, I love my honey, and I eat some       |
        |     every day!!  Maybe less now cause we are selling       |
        |     it as fast as we can make it....                       |
        |                                                            |
        |            \ _ /  The OLd Drone knows it all cause he      |
        |            /O O \   _  is a 35 year member   z  z          |
        |            \~~~ / // \   of the CSBA!      z        z      |
        |             /--\//   ))         z        z                 |
        |        ()==/()== \__./  B z z z   z    z                   |
        |        ()=(  ()= )                  z z                    |
        |            \____/                                          |
        |             ||||    To join the CSBA as a friend or        |
        |            (/  \)   hobby beekeeper send $25.00 to:        |
        |                     CALIFORNIA STATE BEEKEEPERS ASSOC.     |
        |                     1518 Paradise Lane                     |
        |                     Los Banos, CA 93635                    |
        |____________________________________________________________|
        :                                                            :
         \___________________________________________________________/

        REVIEW of the Summer Edition of the "California Bee Times",
        the membership magazine of the CSBA. Editor Less Ferguson,
        16 pages.

        Must of this issue is devoted to what beekeepers are doing for
        themselves by funding bee research projects around the country,
        and contains a reprint on the antibiotic TYLOSIN an antibiotic..

        CSBA members which include beekeepers from all over the country
        and the world of beekeeping have always supported bee research
        with more then just words. This last year they sent $10,000.00
        supporting four research proposals at Penn State, Cornell,
        U. of Minnesota, and Ohia State. A remarkable effort considering
        the bee association is just getting over the total embezzlement
        of its life saving by a former treasurer, who was found guilty
        and has paid for the crime, but will never return the $70-$80K
        she ripped off..

        Reports are given on several beekeeping research projects for
        the 94-95 season. And a full reprint on the Lab and Field
        Studies on the Effects of the Antibiotic TYLOSIN on Honey Bee
        Development and the Prevention of American Foulbrood.

        The story of TYLOSIN and the beekeeper who most of the time
        alone, through personal will power, political force, and
        sometime his own money got this important research work to
        the point it is today is not unique in the politics of farm
        chemicals, and one that I won't repeat here as not to embarrass
        those who should be embarrassed, and to protect the book and
        movie rights if Brian Ferguson ever decides to write one if this
        seemingly never ending story ever is finished.

        TYLOSIN is not a new antibiotic and not without use in animal
        health preparations, and is NOT registered for use in or on
        bee's or their hives. But it is a chemical that could be used
        if it was needed and could be registered to replace the use of
        TERRAMYCIN, at a cost that could be comparable for beekeeper
        because only half as much needs to be used. Research has shown
        again that 100 mg or more of TYLOSIN is adequate to eliminate
        American foulbrood. All of this was news in the early 70's when
        it was demonstrated by Hitchcock that TYLOSIN was superior to
        sulfathiazol, and other work in the late 70's shown it to be
        better then TERRAMYCIN.

        The question that is not answered and what Brian and other
        beekeeper has been asking from day one and working on, "is when
        will it (TYLOSIN) be registered" and recommended for use to
        control AFB and maybe other little things not looked at in this
        research project. I don't know the answer, but it been many
        years, and many thousands of dollars of beekeeper money and
        we still are without this almost natural chemical that is
        derived from a natural soil antibiotic found first in Thailand.

        Anyway this issue of the "BEE Times" is worth the cost of a
        membership if any of you are interested.

                             ttul, OLd Drone

(c) Permission is granted to freely copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)Opinions are not necessarily facts. Use at own risk.

---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ ... When the bee-hive casts its swarm;