Subject: Bee Paralysis Disease

From: Margareta Berglund <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jul 1995 18:42:43 GMT

A beekeeping colleague asked me to send this question.

Is there anyone with info and/or knowledge about Bee Paralysis disease,
or that can give me an idea on where to look for more information?

I suspect an outbreak of Paralysis among my bees. Adult bees die off
as soon as they start flying, some are found crawling near the hives 
with
trembling motions. Some have one or two legs paralysed, some have one 
wing
pointing in an odd direction.

There is no spraying, to my knowledge, going on in the area where I have 
the
bees. This affects 250 hives spread over an area of 20 km.

This is the second season I have this problems, last year not so severe 
as now.
Spring build up was normal in most hives, I got a box of honey on some 
in an
early flow on dandelions. Then all of a sudden bees started to 
disappear, only
young bees where left in the hives.

Even queenrearing is affected, emerging queens show similar symtoms, 
with often
paralysed and defect front legs.

I hope someone can help me with more information on how to diagnose and 
prevent
furter spread of the disease.

The bees are located in Sweden on Latitude 60'.

P-O Gustavsson

Thanks in advance
Margareta Berglund
[email-masked]