Subject: Re: hayfield and pasture weeds

From: [email-masked] (John Harris)
Date: 14 Jul 1994 17:29:05 GMT

Ronald Florence ([email-masked]) wrote:
: We've got patches of bindweed in a hayfield and in one pasture that

Cashmere Goats Control Leafy Spurge, Canadian Thistle, Poison Ivy-oak,
Brush of all types and many other noxious weed types.  Capra the national
Cashmere goat organization has conducted much research in the eradication
of noxious weeds using Cashmere goats.  The research done in Colorado in
conjunction with several county agents confirmed that these types of
vegetation can be controlled and in some cases completely eradicated.  In
my own pasture research was conducted by Ron Tech Agg Service on Canadian
Thistle, bind weed, and Poison Ivy.  The pasture was divided into plots
and treated with a mixture of fertilizers and biological soil building
agents.  The Thistle grew profusely at first as it absorbed the mixture
into its system systemically.  Just as I was ready to begin chopping the
new growth it began to disappear.  The plant had taken on characteristics
that made it not only acceptable but preferred by the goats as feed.  In
the areas that were treated only Alfalfa and grasses remain, while in the
untreated areas there are still Thistles.  With no treatment at all the
Poison Ivy-oak, brush, and Bind weed were eradicated completely.  In
Wyoming these goats are being used successfully to eradicate Soap weed,
Yucca, Cat tail, and brush on a large ranch.  They have been so successful
that Cattle had to be purchased to consume the grasses which grew profusely
with the weeds eradicated.  The goats prefer broad leaf vegetation to
grasses and will consume the grasses only as a last choice.  We are
selling our Cashmere for up to $45 per pound and eliminating unwanted
vegetation at the same time.  If you want information on how to obtain
some of Natures natural weed eaters contact.
John Harris
90417 county road 17
Mitchell, Ne.  69357  or Call 308-635-1579
[email-masked]

Questions asked by several interned responses.  Answers I thought you
might be interested in.
 First the question of how much does one goat produce?
 An adult billie will yield from 2 to 2&1/2 pounds per year and a female
about 1&1/4 to 1&1/3/4 pounds of which 40 to 60 percent is cashmere which
sells for $45 per sheared pound or $135 per dehaired pound .  There has never
been an over production of the worls supply of Cashmere for centuries.  
Cashmere is an old old business.  
The majority of the world supplies come from Angola, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, 
Turkey, and of course Cashmere.  You can see that these countries are not 
the most stable and reliable places to rely on for your supply of any 
thing.  That is why the Fortey Cashmere company financed the Cashmere 
breeders association to the tune of $30,000 to establish a domestic herd 
of Cashmere producing goats.  They want a reliable supply.  All of the 
animals that are in the US have been imported through the quarentine 
process at great expense.  There are about 18,000 of these critters now 
with expectations of 20 million to produce the quantities of Cashmere 
that is required now at current usage rates.  As you can see we will be 
several years in achieving this goal.  It wont happen over night like pot 
bellied pigs.  This is more than a fad livestock.  There is a solid 
industry underlying the Cashmere business.  You are correct in your 
appraisal of the need for breeding stock, now and for many years to 
come.  That is why you would want registered breeding stock yourself,  so 
you can be a supplier of breeding stock to other growers.  With the 
Mohair subsidy being discontinued there are lots of Angora goat herds 
that will be sold at 10 cents on the dollar, in exchange for Cashmere 
goats at top dollar that produce fibre that does'nt need a subsidy.  
These are some of the underlying reasons why I got into Cashmere and it 
looks better and better every year.  I hope this has answered some of 
your concerns.  I welcome questions like these because most people are 
not aware of these facts.  Thanks for your inquiry.
Cashmerely yours.   John Harris

--

  ####    ####     ##     #####   ####
 #    #  #    #   #  #      #    #
 #       #    #  #    #     #     ####
 #  ###  #    #  ######     #         #
 #    #  #    #  #    #     #    #    #
  ####    ####   #    #     #     ####

Nebraska Western Cashmere
John Harris  [email-masked]
90417 County Road #17
Mitchell Ne 69357   Voice:  (308) 635-1579 fax: (308) 635-6100
_______________________________________________________________