Subject: RE: Worm castings repel ants?

From: David Stanley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 20:55:42 -0400

[ The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]
    [ Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set.  ]
    [ Some characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]

Sounds like their scent trail was blocked.
DS

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Terra Viva Organics
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2000 2:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Worm castings repel ants?

A friend, who is a member of the worm forum  reported that on a recent
discussion someone mentioned success repelling ants with worm castings.

Here's the comment:

Common Ant Reaction
                 We have had reports from users for a long time that ant
infestations have disappeared with the use of our WORMGOLDTM.  Our field
test observation has been that there is an immediate ant reaction. (An
explanation for this difference is that the ants can detect the full
level of chitinase when they walk over the worm castings.  The insects
that suck the nectar from the plants can't detect the chitinase level
until it has multiplied inside the plant). One example of ant revulsion
was seen when WORMGOLDTM was applied for a test of 30 lemon trees for
phytophthora (root rot fungus).   (We were performing the fungus tests
as reported by four academic research studies). The WORMGOLDTM was
applied in a ½" layer from the trunk to the drip line.  Every tree had a
line of ants going up and down the trunk.  As soon as the castings were
applied, the ants coming down the trunk were visibly agitated.  These
ants swarmed above the edge of the WORMGOLDTM at the base of the trunk.
It was clear that they did not want to cross the castings.  The ants
coming in a path to the trees would start to cross the WORMGOLDTM but
proceeded less than ½ inch before they made a 360-degree turn to leave
the castings. The ants then followed the edge of the castings around the
full perimeter until they got back to the advancing path.   The ants
then returned to the nest (or wherever the ants go).  The path around
the castings continued from one to three days, then the ants stopped.
If leaves had dropped onto the WORMGOLDTM , the ants would use the
leaves as a bridge.  (Dr. Atkinson has explained that the ants' sensory
equipment can detect the chitinase and they are not happy walking where
the level is above their detection level).  After about two weeks, the
ants begin again to cross the layer.  It appears that there must be some
change to the top layer of castings.  If the top is raked, the ants
again refuse to cross the layer.  The ants leave the nests in the area
that is covered by the layer of castings.

Homeowners have reported that WORMGOLDTM  applied to the turf and
planting areas around their homes has resulted in the absence of ant
infestations for about a year.

Anyone have any similar findings?

Arzeena
-----------------------------
Terra Viva Organics
Organic garden seed, natural fertilizers & predatory insects
www.tvorganics.com
---------------------------

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail