Subject: Re: carpenter ants, chickens

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 20:45:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000 [email-masked] wrote:

> Hi folks,
> Does anybody know of a good alternative to Terminix for keeping
carpenter
> ants out of our house?

Boric acid powder or in solution as a spray on underpinnings (this is
probably what Dan-Dan will use). The powder is available in
plastic-squeeze-bottles that will puff a dose where you need it.
I'll bet making a strong solution of it to put into a clean
garden spray tank then coating the timbers you need to protect
might work out well. Diatomaceous earth might also be of some value.
Food-grade DE can be obtained in 50 lb. sacks - the pool filter version
will not work.

LL

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm ICQ#27930345
[email-masked]  [email-masked]
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail

---

From: Lion Kuntz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 15:58:18 -0400 (EDT)

A basic anticide recipe is yeast granules mixed into molasses, spread on pieces of cardboard that
you lay on ant trails. It causes fatal indigestion. Never tried it on carpenter ants.

By the way, you can tell if you have carpenter ants by all the teeny beer bottles laying around.
(Juvenile construction worker humor.)

------Original Message------
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Sent: June 12, 2000 3:50:13 PM GMT
Subject: carpenter ants, chickens

Hi folks,
Does anybody know of a good alternative to Terminix for keeping carpenter
ants out of our house?  We live in a woodsy area in Pa. right next to a
river, so ants and other critters abound here.  But I feel like a hypocrite
trying to have an organic garden while I welcome Dan Dan the Terminix man
into the house every other month.  He and my hubby found two massive
carpenter ant nests in the ground nearby and before I knew it he'd sprinkled
something deadly on them and now we have no more ants in the house.  But
wouldn't my chickens have been able to annihilate them if I'd penned them
there?  Dan says the pesticide he used should be just about gone now because
of all the rain we've had, so do you think I could safely put the chickens
there now?  The ants are trying to come back and I sure don't want hubby to
spread the Diazinon he bought.  Would my 15 little Cornish Rocks do as good a
job at scratching them out as my 4 laying hens would?  Thanks!

Joanne Guth
a mom who's trying to feed her kids right

-----------------------------------------------
FREE! The World's Best Email Address @email.com
Reserve your name now at http://www.email.com