From: "Tom Hodges (moderated newsgroup)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 15:31:53 -0800

Reply to: Discussions about Sustainable Agriculture
     <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list SUSTAG-L <[email-masked]>

[This response seemed of fairly general interest. TH]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 12:22:14 -0800
From: CD Santa Clara <[email-masked]>
To: "Tom Hodges (moderated newsgroup)" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Forwarded mail....

> [respond directly to Sal at [email-masked] if you can assist. TH]
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> Date: Sun, 6 Feb 1994 19:19:12 -0800 (PST)
> From: Sal Schettino <[email-masked]>
> To: "Jill Auburn University of Cal." <[email-masked]>
> Cc: San <[email-masked]>, Brian Baker <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Help
>
> We need some help.  Lots of help setting up a FTP sight and a Maillist for
>  Organic Farmers.  Organic is different than Sustainable Agriculture and
> it would be nice if we had a place where we could upload and download
> files that have to do with organic stuff.  A little diskspace on the
> internet we can call our own.  Organic farmers must use organic methods
> only! It would be nice if we could also have a organic maillist or
> listserver. The State of Ca. and soon the Fed Gov. is requiring us to
> register and they are setting up standards we must follow so maybe you
> folks in the Gov. will help us set up a way where we can talk with peoples
> all over the world that are also into organic farming.  Maybe you could
> help us get a little diskspace at the University of Davis or anywhere in
> the world on the internet for a ftp sight.There people can leave files
> that have to do with Organic Farming.  I would like to see Gifs of both
> pests and Beneficials.  I would like to see papers dealing with organic
> methods.  I would like to see gifs of plant leaves so we can tell by
> appearance of plants to help identify the plants health.  So we can learn
> to tell quickly the plants health and see their distress signals before
> its to late.  Organic farmers have to be even more tuned in because there
> is usually no quick cure.  Organic cures usually take more time so we have
> to spot trouble as soon as we can.  We can use a Organic maillist or
> listsever like the great one San has.  That way we can tap into all the
> knowledge worldwide on organic methods.  So can anyone help us organic
> farmers set up and ftp sight and maillist.  I have been talking with CCOF
> and other organic farmers at the Eleventh Annual California Farm
> Conference and we are all excited with the prospects.  You at Sans have
> the knowledge to help if you can please find the time and a little
> diskspace for us organic farmers.  I lost 80% of my avocados last year to
> thrips and I could not just spray malithon.  I have to find an organic
> answer.  I know somewhere out there there is a organic farmer that faces
> the same problems as me.  Some one that has done it the organic way!  So
> could you help us.
> And I would like to thank the folks on Sans listserver for all there help
> best listserver on the net.
> Thanks
>
>
Sal:  Great idea, I'll subscribe.  Regarding your thrips...are you sure its
thrips?  Swing by your farm advisor's office if you're not sure.  Some
thoughts on thrips.  Growers with a ground cover seem to have fewer thrip
problems.  Benefits from ground cover include improving water penetration,
reducing soil erosion and compaction, the reduction of dust which reduces
mite outbreaks and providing food and shelter for predators and parasites of
citrus pests.  (Extra costs of water, nutrients, management, and increased
frost hazards have led growers to eliminate ground covers).

        Weather has an impact on thrips...they do not develop below 62
degrees.  In great warm weather, they can produce up to 8 generations!

        Various spiders, the minute pirate bug, and the mites-Euseius hibisci
and Anystis agilis prey on thrips.

        We work on the fixing the environment first and then resort to the
kill the messenger approach.  As a last resort, sabadilla or diatomaceous
earth dusted on at petal fall will provide control in a moderately infected
orchard.  (If timed and applied correctly).  Check 3 to 5 days after
application for successful kill and re-evaluate your treatment.  After fruit
are larger than 1 1/2 inches, treatment is not economical because it only
provides short term control and upsets the biological control of scale and
mites.

        Diatomaceous earth is make from the ground skeletons of small
fossilized animals.  When soft-bodied insects such as ants, aphids, bettle
grubs, boxelder bugs, caterpillars, fly maggots, mites, slugs, or thrips come
into contact with it, its sharp edges lacerate their exoskeletons.  This
causes the insects to die from dehydration.

        Sabadilla works as a contact and stomach poison.  It's made from the
seeds of a tropical lily-like bush.  Sabadilla is safer than rotenone...

        Peaceful Valley Farm Supply and probably a lot of other suppliers
carry the Minute Pirate Bug (Orius tristicolor). (916)-272-4769.

Holly Dumont
Staff Research Associate
UCCE Santa Clara County.