Subject: Re: Deer fence

From: [email-masked] (Larry Hoover, Chemistry Department)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 14:37:28 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Mark Zaller) writes:
>The deer eat almost everything at a house/farm I have, and I now want to 
>plant several hundred fruit trees and grape vines. I think a fence is 
>the best way to minimize the problem since I am sometimes gone for 
>several weeks at a time. There is an exisiting 4 ft barbed wire fence 
>around the perimeter that doesn't even slow them down. Locals tell me a 
>fence needs to be 8 feet high to stop them, but any fence over 6 ft must 
>have a 50 ft set back from the property line.
>
>Instead of an 8 ft fence I am thinking of a 6 ft fence 2.5-3.5 ft in 
>from the barbed wire fence around 2 acres. I hear that deer can jump 
>high, or jump far, but not high and far. Has anybody studied the way a 
>deer jumps a tall fence? Do they take a 6 ft fence on the run, or stop 
>and jump? How far apart should I space the two fences so that a deer 
>can't jump from between the two fences, or over both of them together ? 
>2.5, 3, 3.5 ft ? Has anybody tried the two fence idea?
>
>-Mark Zaller

Based on the requirements of the local deer-farming community (over 100 
dedicated deer farms in my area of Ontario), an eight foot fence is indeed 
essential. It has also been found that a truly motivated deer *can* clear 
one of these. It occurs to me that a six foot fence might work, if at the 
top a T-shaped cross piece is added. This may then prevent the long and 
high jumps which the deer might attempt.

********************************************************************************
Larry E. Hoover                                 internet: [email-masked]
c/o Chemistry Department                             lab: (705)748-1201
Trent University, Peterborough, Ont. K9J 7B8        home: (705)799-2174
********************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Melinda Shore)
Date: 23 Nov 1994 16:04:47 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>It occurs to me that a six foot fence might work, if at the 

Maybe, but last fall I saw a deer sail over a 5' electrified
fence from a standstill.  Deer can really jump.
--
        Melinda Shore - No Mountain Software - [email-masked]
                       I don't speak for Cornell.
                    Software longa, hardware brevis.
          IF YOU SEND ME HARASSING EMAIL, I'LL PROBABLY POST IT