Subject: Suppliers of Beneficial Organisms book released

From: [email-masked] (Kathy Brunetti)
Date: 23 Nov 1994 18:52:38 -0000

California Environmental Protection Agency
Department of Pesticide Regulation  News Release
Release No. 94-39 Contact:
Date: November 23, 1994
Veda Federighi
(916) 445-3974

THE BEST BOOK OF "GOOD BUGS" SOURCES
IS NEW AND IMPROVED

SACRAMENTO -- The most complete listing of sources of "good bugs" in the
U.S., Canada, and Mexico is available now from Cal/EPA's Department's of
Pesticide Regulation.

The newly published 30-page booklet includes listings for 120 different
beneficial organisms under 13 different categories, including mites,
nematodes, parasites, and predators. There are 95 U.S. suppliers listed,
plus 11 in Canada and 26 from Mexico.

The booklet, entitled "Suppliers of Beneficial Organisms in North America,"
is "an incomparable resource for anyone looking for ways to find good bugs
to fight bad bugs in their garden or on their farm," said Elin D. Miller,
DPR Chief Deputy Director. "

The booklet includes the names, addresses, phone and fax numbers of the
suppliers, along with their product line, whether they sell wholesale or
retail, and whether they have a catalog or brochure available.  Also noted
is whether they supply free information and consulting.

"Our booklet doesn't have any information on how to use beneficial
organisms," said Miller.  "If we did, it would have to be the size of an
encyclopedia." The booklet does include a short bibliography of selected
references on biological control and integrated pest management.

"Farmers often call in integrated pest management (IPM) specialists, who
know how to diagnose problems and recommend solutions," Miller said.  "Home
gardeners can take advantage of the tremendous expertise at the Cooperative
Extension Service, or ask one of the suppliers in the booklet for advice.
Many of them have literature available on the beneficial organisms and how
to apply them."

Miller added that using a beneficial organism to fight pests usually takes
a little more knowledge than using a pesticide.

"With a chemical pesticide, you can read the label to know how much to use,
when to apply it, how to get best results.  And you can usually see the
results fairly quickly.

"With natural enemies, it's a little different," Miller continued.
"Although the results are more gradual, they may often be long-lasting,
since you are establishing a system of natural checks and balances.  But to
succeed, it is important to know the pest you are dealing with, and the
best way to approach it."

DPR updates the booklet about every two years.  This is the first edition
that has listed suppliers from Mexico.  More than 23,000 copies of the 1992
edition were distributed, with copies sent to almost every state and
province in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, as well as to residents of more
than 100 other nations.

This edition has two different indexes: one alphabetical list of scientific
names, the other a list of beneficials under categories, for example,
"predatory mites."  Biological controls that are single-celled organisms
such as bacteria, fungi, protozoans, and viruses are not listed as they are
registered as pesticides under state and federal law and are widely
available.

Free, single copies of the booklet are available from the Department of
Pesticide Regulation, Environmental Monitoring and Pest Management Branch,
Attn: Beneficial Organisms Booklet, 1020 N Street, Room 161, Sacramento
95814-5604.  To order by phone, call (916) 324-4100.

Kathy Brunetti, Agriculture Program Supervisor
Department of Pesticide Regulation  1020 N Street Room 161  Sacramento CA 95814
voice (916) 324-4100  FAX (916) 324-4088  [email-masked]